ironhack-logo

Ironhack

Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Bordeaux, Düsseldorf, Lisbon, London, Madrid, Mexico City, Miami, Online, Paris, Sao Paulo

Ironhack

Ironhack offers full-time and part-time bootcamps in Web Development, UX/UI design, Data Analytics and Cyber Security in Miami (Florida), Madrid and Barcelona (Spain), Paris (France) Mexico City (Mexico), Berlin (Germany), Amsterdam (Netherlands), Sao Paulo (Brazil), Lisbon (Portugal) and remotely. Ironhack uses a customized approach to education by allowing students to shape their experience based on personal goals. Students who graduate from the Web Development Bootcamp will be skilled in technologies like JavaScript, HTML5 and CSS3. The UX/UI program covers Design Thinking, Photoshop, Sketch, Balsamiq, InVision, and JavaScript. Data Analytics covers data wrangling/cleaning, APIs, web scraping, and intermediate topics in Git, MySQL, Python, Data visualization, Panda, and Machine Learning. The Data Analytics program allows students to load, clean, explore and extract valuable insights from datasets and cultivate languages, such as Python, SQL and Tableau. The Cyber Security course provides students with the hands-on skills they need to land a job in the growing cybersecurity industry. In the Cyber Security course, students will develop the most in-demand knowledge to be part of any company's cybersecurity workforce and become a cybersecurity professional.

The admissions process for each program includes an online application, a personal interview, and a technical assessment.

Throughout each Ironhack program, students will get help navigating career development through interview prep, enhancing digital brand presence, and networking opportunities. Students will have a chance to delve into the tech community with Ironhack events, workshops, and Meetups. With more than 6,000 graduates, Ironhack has an extensive global network of alumni and +600 partner companies. Graduates of Ironhack will be well-positioned to find a job as a web developer, UX/UI designer, data analyst, or cyber security professional upon graduation as all students have access to career services to prepare them for the job search and facilitating interviews in their city's local tech ecosystem. Ironhack is the first European bootcamp to report its outcomes.

Recent Ironhack Reviews: Rating 4.83

all (971) reviews for Ironhack →

Recent Ironhack News

Read all (39) articles about Ironhack →
  • Cyber Security Bootcamp

LocationOnline, Madrid, London, Barcelona, Mexico City, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Sao Paulo, Lisbon
    The Ironhack Cybersecurity Bootcamp covers the hands-on and practical skills necessary for Bootcampers to land high-paying careers in cybersecurity, one of the world’s fastest growing industries. The bootcamp is an accelerated cybersecurity training program designed to successfully prepare people with little or no background in IT for entry level jobs in cybersecurity, a highly in-demand and lucrative career path. The Bootcamp is delivered in a blended format at a Cybint Certified Center with both on campus learning and online self-paced activities.
    DepositYes

Do you need help with the payment? Visit our Financing page: https://www.ironhack.com/en/financing

Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming knowledge
    Prep Work20 hours of online learning material. This prework will familiarize you with what a computer is, how operating systems work and what networks are. This knowledge will get you ready for learning Cybersecurity
  • Data Analytics Bootcamp (Full-time)

LocationParis, Madrid, Barcelona, Mexico City, Berlin, Amsterdam, Sao Paulo, Lisbon, London, Miami, Online
    This course enables students to become a Full Fledged Data Analyst in 9 weeks. Students will develop practical skills useful in the data industry. Ramp-up pre-work and learn intermediate topics of data analytics using Pandas and data engineering to create a data application using real datasets. You'll also learn to use Python and Business Intelligence. Through the bootcamp you will learn by doing projects combining data analytics and programming. Ironhack's Data Analytics Bootcamp is meant to help you secure a spot in the data industry. However, the most important skill that students will take away from this course is the ability to learn. Technology is fast-moving and ever-changing.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location
    ScholarshipIronhack offers an upfront scholarship of 10% off for any of our Web Development
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming knowledge
    Prep Work40-50 hours of online content that you'll have to complete in order to reach the required level at the next module.
  • Data Analytics Bootcamp (Part-Time)

Git, MySQL, Python, SQL, Data Analytics , Data Structures, Data Visualization
    LocationMadrid, Barcelona, Mexico City, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Sao Paulo, Lisbon, London, Miami, Online
    This course enables students to become a Full Fledged Data Analyst in 24 weeks. Students will develop practical skills useful in the data industry. Ramp-up pre-work and learn intermediate topics of data analytics using Pandas and data engineering to create a data application using real datasets. You'll also learn to use Python and Business Intelligence. Through the bootcamp you will learn by doing projects combining data analytics and programming. Ironhack's Data Analytics Bootcamp is meant to help you secure a spot in the data industry. However, the most important skill that students will take away from this course is the ability to learn. Technology is fast-moving and ever-changing.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming knowledge
  • UX/UI Design Bootcamp (Full-Time)

CSS, HTML, User Experience Design, Agile, Mobile, Product Management
    LocationMadrid, Paris, Mexico City, Barcelona, Berlin, Miami, Amsterdam, Sao Paulo, Lisbon, London, Online
    This 9 week immersive course is catered to beginners with no previous design or technical experience. Students will be taught the fundamentals of User Centered Design and learn to validate ideas through user research, rapid prototyping & heuristic evaluation. The course will end with a capstone project where students will take a new product idea from validation to launch. By the end of the course, students will be ready to start a new career as a UX Designer, Freelance or turbo charge their current professional trajectory.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming skills, basic design skills
    Prep WorkThe Pre-work is a 40 hours self-guided content that will help you to understand basic UX/UI Design concepts and it will make you design your first works in Sketch and Flinto.
  • UX/UI Design Course (Part-Time)

CSS, Design, Product Management, User Experience Design, Agile, HTML, Mobile
    LocationMiami, Mexico City, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, Sao Paulo, Lisbon, London, Online
    The UX/UI Design Part-time course meets Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays with additional online coursework over a period of 6 months. Students will be taught the fundamentals of User Centered Design and learn to validate ideas through user research, rapid prototyping & heuristic evaluation. The course will end with a capstone project where students will take a new product idea from validation to launch. By the end of the course, students will be ready to start a new career as a UX Designer, Freelance or turbo charge their current professional trajectory.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming skills, basic design skills
    Prep Work40-50 hours of online content that you'll have to complete in order to reach the required level when the course begins.
  • Web Development Bootcamp (Full-time)

AngularJS, CSS, Express.js, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, MongoDB, Node.js, React.js
    LocationMadrid, Berlin, Amsterdam, Mexico City, Paris, Barcelona, Sao Paulo, Lisbon, London, Miami, Online
    This course enables students to design and build full stack JavaScript web applications. Students will learn the fundamentals of programming, with a big emphasis on battle-tested patterns and best practices. By the end of the course, students will have the ability to evaluate a problem and select the optimal solution using the language/framework best suited for a project’s scope. In addition to technical skills, the course will train students in how to think like a programmer. Students will learn how to deconstruct complex problems and break them into smaller modules. However, the most important skill that students will take away from this course is the ability to learn. Technology is fast-moving and ever-changing. A good programmer has a general understanding of the various programming languages and when to use them. A great programmer understands the fundamental structure and possesses the ability to learn any new language when required.

Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming knowledge
  • Web Development Bootcamp (Part-Time)

AngularJS, Express.js, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, MongoDB, Node.js, CSS, React.js
    LocationMiami, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, Mexico City, Amsterdam, Sao Paulo, Lisbon
  • Moritz Berthold • Graduate
    I studied Physics in Munich and after several internships in business, I decided to become an entrepreneur. I am currently studying applied physics in a masters degree, however, I wanted to learn some hands-on skills in programming so that is why I decided to look for a way to learn in which I could do it effectively.

I chose Ironhack because to me it seemed the most professional and intensive coding school in Europe, so I decided to to move to Barcelona for the two months of this years Winter-Web-Bootcamp.

The bootcamp is special in many ways: It offers a broad horizon in both technical and social level. It teaches state of the art methodologies in Web-Development, but also brings together people with very diverse backgrounds.

At Ironhack, there is a strong sense of community: We often worked together in pairs and met many interesting people at talks about development/technology or business in the evening. I would recommend the bootcamp for anyone, seeking to boost their career with an additional key-skill. The career department of Ironhack trains their students very well and offers great support in finding work-opportunities.

During the final 2 weeks I built an idea I had in mind. I found Ironhack’s instructors super helpful. They gave me a guideline on how to build the minimum viable product (the product that would just be enough), and helped in the planning, making it realistic. Furthermore they helped me, solving countless technical issues, ranging from the design to the database-structure.

The project also benefited from the inspiring and productive working atmosphere at Ironhack, where students help each other and solve challenges together.

In all, I think that for non-natural programmers or want-to-be´s, being able to learn coding in such a short time period is just an incredible chance and Ironhack definitely delivers!
  • Great stuff!
    - 4/12/2015

Ironhack was a valuable experience. They managed to efficiently cover a variety of topics while creating a fun environment.  Their boot camp structure is very conducive for developing a solid coding base with the skills and knowledge to learn more advanced concepts with ease. I would recommend giving IronHack a shot.

• Patricia Henriquez • Consultant • Graduate

What I got out of my experience with Ironhack was invaluable.  I learned a great deal about myself, made friends with wonderful people from all walks of life, and came out with a solid understanding of the web development landscape.

I decided to join Ironhack because I wanted to learn more about web programming and gain a new skill. My job as a consultant consisted of working, communicating, and at times leading developers so I thought getting a leg up in coding would be beneficial in my day to day activities at work.  I knew I needed to become code literate and I knew that the best way for me to really learn programming would be to attend a course, to throw myself into the deep end.

Into the deep end I went. My experience wasn’t all butterflies and rainbows. It was probably one of the toughest experiences of my life. There is a ton of content and it is constantly changing.  It is a very rigorous curriculum with an aggressive timeline designed to really challenge you.  It put my ego to the test, it made me feel dumb at times, and frustrated in others.  The first week and a half I felt like I had been knocked down, but this was done intentionally, which I appreciated after the fact.  It got me into gear and forced me to adopt a “can do” attitude.  From a personal development standpoint the program helped me learn how to better overcome difficult situations, how to ask for help, and to really understand how detrimental negative self-talk can be to ones progress. From a technical development standpoint I was amazed at how much I learned and how much I was able to accomplish.

I think what really differentiates Ironhack from other schools is their amazing team and their culture of  “ the customer is always right”.  I really loved and was really impressed by the constant feedback loop they incorporated into their system.  It felt like a very intimate experience because they cared about my concerns, my thoughts, and most importantly my progress.  They wanted to make sure I was getting everything I was expecting out of the program; an attitude that was adopted by all of the faculty and staff.  Overall the instructors were superb. They were experts in their field, good instructors, and always extremely helpful and very respectful.

• Oscar • Graduate

When I joined Ironhack last summer (2014) at their Barcelona Campus I was 17 years old. I joined Ironhack straight out of highschool looking to gain proficiency in modern programming languages so that I could work at a product company.

When I was around 15 I started to like everything related to web design and later applications for iOS devices. Soon that interest lead me to begin playing around. I also spent a lot of time learning how to make an iOS app by learning objective-c listening to postcast and reading blog posts. As my final high-school research I made a website and IOS application about my city.

After graduating from high-school, as I enjoyed programming so much, I wanted to study Computer Science. However I became very disappointed when I saw that students only came in contact with code on the 3rd year at university and that the subjects taught there are very introductory and about outdated technologies. That’s when I started looking for other options, I found Ironhack and enrolled before beginning university.

The methodology at Ironhack is very hands on. We built many little products during the bootcamp that helped me ground and implement many important coding concepts. In addition, most of the time we used Pair Programming (when two students work together on the same project, one program while the other observes and then they switch positions) I really found learning from my peers very useful and effective.

My cohort was a very heterogeneous, friendly, fun and very united group. The best moments were when we went out to eat and Friday afternoon when we had a more relaxed coding&beers sessions. I had and still have a very close relationship with my classmates and teachers. Ironhack is all about community!

Teachers were not professors, they were an equal partner guiding you and helped with everything you needed to understand. They weren’t follow the role of a normal teacher, they were like a partner. The classes were very pleasant and made you the day short.

After Ironhack, I started my Computer Science degree and in my spare time I continue working at my project called Goslost and I keep in touch with my final project’s mentor. I am hoping Goslost to be fully operational soon!

In all, Ironhack was a great experience that changed what I thought about education and that has given me an incredible and useful  skill set and a very strong network in the local startup and developer scene. I would recommend it to anyone that is serious about coding!

• Vishal

IronHack has been one of the most incredible experiences I’ve lived.

The professors were very good in their fields, always attentive and very close, although some of them never taught before. The TA (Teacher Assistant) was alumni on the first edition so he could understand our situation and helped us in every moment.

However, the best of the bootcamp were my classmates. The selection process was very good because all of them were very motivated, hard-workers, fast-learners and close people. We helped ourselves in every problem, worked hard until 6am if necessary, and improved our programming skill together.

I highly recommend IronHack if you want to learn programming with top-teachers, incredible classmates and in a short period of time, but be prepared to work hard every day, because when the say intensive, it’s really intensive.

I started IronHack with almost zero programming skills, and now I’m able to make powerful webs by myself. I never thought of learning so much in this time.

• Pablo • iOS Developer
    Hi, my name is Pablo, I was a student of the iOS Development Bootcamp in Madrid (Summer 2014). I’d like to answer why I decided to join this learning path and why I would recommend it.

First of all, I want to explain my background before Ironhack (I will also tell what I did after that, but this will be at the bottom, don’t rush). I studied Technical Computer Science Engineering, and after that I was working for 4 years in a big education company, deploying several learning paths for e-students, mainly MySQL and Oracle courses. After this 4 years, I turned my professional career to development, this time in a small startup in my hometown, developing backend for a website, frontend, database management, and an API to communicate with an iOS and Android app. And this API project was the reason I decided, not to pivot my professional career again, but go a step further. To be honest, once I finished my University studies I never thought about going “back to school” again, but when I heard about this bootcamp, and after reading some reviews and talking to some alumni, I thought it would be the perfect solution I was looking for.

The main thing I found remarkable was the methodology. It is totally different than any I had ever known while I was at the University. It’s really hands on and based on practice, even the theory we learnt (we always need notions of theory) was also based on practice, sometimes several examples, sometimes teachers left us to explore, touch and discover subjects in real situations. During the eight weeks’ bootcamp, practice is quite important since day one. We learned objective-C from the real basics of C (it’s always a pleasure remembering how C works, and why you do things you usually do when programming), then we discovered Cocoa fundaments, in order to be able to develop one single application from scratch since the very first week, and every week we went further on Cocoa programming. Each subject was taught by a different professional, so having a new teacher every week was a motivational experience, as everyone has always new things to teach (I like to name it “secrets”). Relations with teachers were always very close, so this does the learning even more interesting. And one of the most important things I ever learnt: paying attention to clean code. Every teacher emphasized in clean code as much as code lessons.
    About the colleagues, the youngest was 19, the older near 40. One ecuatorian (he came to Spain just to do the bootcamp), one from the USA and the rest from different places in Spain. We became good friends and each time we can, we meet up again. Eventhough many of us are working in different cities,  we are all still in contact.
    I’d like to share one curious story that reflects very well the Ironhack spirit; the first day we started the bootcamp, Apple showed its popular Keynote, this one with a big secret no developer was expecting: they presented Swift, the new programming language for iOS. Yes, new language. So, what happened with Objective-C? Was it a waste of time? Absolutely not. Everything we learnt was useful for any kind of language that uses Cocoa. But even more… we learnt notions of Swift in the last week of the bootcamp. Yes, the very newest language. That was really Awesome!

On the other side, I would also write one thing I didn’t like so much. Sometimes some subjects needed more time to be learnt than planned, such as some related with Collections Views, or network access and handle of asynchronous responses. The good thing was that while we were developing our project we were are to emphasize these things, and even more: every feedback we had, were applied almost on the following day. So, very good Ironhack team :)

After this bootcamp I was interviewed by three different companies, two from Berlin, the other from Gibraltar, as my main purpose was leaving Spain and keep improving myself. Finally, the Gibraltar company hired me to be part of the iOS team. I’m there since then, learning every day and giving my colleagues my different points of view and experience.

I’d like to explain more and more what I found in Ironhack, what I liked, what didn’t. But I wanted to explain the main points I think you may find interesting. Don’t forget keep learning every single day!
  • Alessandro Martin • Graduate

I have always had interest in programming but I did a very different job for most of my life in another country on another continent; finally I decided I wanted to make a career switch and to software development, specifically iOS, and move back to Europe with my family; I am self taught and my coding skills were already decent (albeit mostly academical) when I joined Iron Hack but I had no prior iOS experience beyond doing some online tutorials and reading a couple of books. My biggest concern was wether I'd be able to absorb all the information needed to have a solid foundation in iOS development in just 8 weeks but I have to say Iron Hack exceeded my expectations. The teachers were great and the program extremely thorough and I ended up being amazed at the stuff I learnt in just 8 short (albeit extremely intense) weeks. A big multinational company interviewd me and considered me to be a semi-senior developer and I am enduring negotiations with a couple of companies to get a job. The great thing about Iron Hack is that they kept me supporting during the job hunting process and I made many contacts thanks to them. 5 stars for me, that's for sure!

• Elena • Junior Developer • Student

Hello everyone, let me introduce myself. I'm Elena Torró, Ironhack Alumni. I studied there for two months during the past summer, in Barcelona. I'd like to share with you my experience as an 'Ironhacker' and answer possible questions you may have.

I had a traditional education mentality, having studied only at a the University, so I was expecting to find more or less the same at Ironhack. But I was wrong, it was much better. I learned so many things that I had never learned at the University. Every week was planned carefully based on previous students experiences. We started from the very basic things a web programmer should know, and the difficulty of the lessons increased weekely. We went form HTML, CSS and JS to Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Test Driven Development and, at the same time, what I enjoyed the most: team work, agile methodologies and project development. We also had the possibility to decide if we wanted to learn something more specific, and the teachers organized activities, additional lessons and offered individual help. That's how we learned to deploy applications in production, how we acquired more advanced programming skills and how we managed to solve problems by ourselves.  Furthermore, the Intense programme was really hands-on, something that I really enjoyed!

I'd lie if I tell you it was easy. The course run for around 8/9 hours per day, but then we stayed practicing exercises, it was incredibly intense! But all the students enjoyed these hours a lot. We spent time together, learning from the teachers and from other students as well. Because we were more than just classmates, we became really close, and we are still in touch: sharing our experiences and sharing the projects we are currently working in. We also meet up from time to time. I used to code alone, but after Ironhack I've learned to share and to enjoy coding with someone else.

About the teachers, it was great to meet people who are currently working in different very cool product companies. They all have huge experience in what they tough. What I liked the most was that they were available after the lessons, and also during the weekend: if you sent a message to one of them asking a question, you'd have an answer almost inmediatelly. I had the opportunity to ask them about finding a job, what are the enterprises looking and what are the different profiles in tech companies, and it was really helpful for me.

Right now I'm finishing my studies in engineering and I found a job after straight Ironhack as a frontend developer for Google Actívate online courses. Thanks to everything that I learned about how to work in teams, I fit in the team rapidly. For the future, I've been in touch with some companies in Barcelona, where I'll probably move after my graduation. Thanks to Ironhack and to its strong network, I made a lot of contacts and now I know what I'm looking for and where can I find it.

• A student opinion
    - 1/22/2015
    Arslaan • Backend junior developer • Student
    Hello, I'm Arslaan one of the students of Ironhack Barcelona edition 07-2014
    I will try to explain my experience in the bootcamp focusing in 6 main points (if its too long just skip to the 'personal opinion' part):

1. Learned subjects:
    At the beginning the classes were easy to follow (well HTML and CSS is not rocket science...). After the easy part we were initiated to Javascript and suddenly shit got pretty serious: we started backend programming in Ruby with Sinatra and as a non formal programmer it was mind blowing sometimes. Then, when we felt confortable with Sinatra we changed to Rails and it took us just a week to understand the whole MVC thing (Martin from XING did a good job). Once we understood Rails we got back to advanced Javascript and then again to more Rails.

2. Methodology
    Each week of the course we had a different teacher that explained the subject from 9 to 17:30 (not totally accurate because sometimes teacher stayed a little bit more to explain things that weren't totally understood). From 17:30 to 19:00 we finished exercises that teacher left for us or just keeping up to date our work. Also we had 2 assistants who were full time dedicated to us and gave extra classes on saturdays or sunday to learn something different(TDD with Jasmine, How to contribute open source...). After 19:00 we had a talk gave by someone outside ironhack about jobs, startups, bussiness models... Every monday and friday we filled some surveys about our teacher and teacher assistants (I have to admit that a couple of times I filled the survey with all the answers as an 8 just to finish it and start coding...)

3. Background
    I just explain a little my background to give the reader a full picture and understand better my answers.
    I am an electronical engineer student that liked programming and wanted to get to the next level with his programming skills. I played with Java and did Mathlab, Maple and Pascal in my first 2 years of university.

4. Colleagues
    We had from a 17 year old high school student to a 40 years old hardware technician, we had people from Philippines to Norway. We had diversity and it was amazing, some of us, even teachers assistants, still hang out on Saturdays.

5. Teachers
    They were good at what they were doing and we knew that.

6. My actual job
    Well for now I'm working part time with a startup building a restful API to manage cargos on air flights for a couple of months. Also I'm being interviewed from other Startups (wish me luck).

PERSONAL OPINION:

Ironhack, the bad parts:
    I think the subjects were the proper ones to study (after all its a web development bootcamp) but not the order, I would have started with ruby and once we were prepared start with TDD because doing TDD at the same time we were learning Ruby was frustrating.
    In my opinion, Ironhack should push us a little bit more after the main teachers left and give us more things to do. Also on weekends, even with our teachers assistants extra talks we could have done more, after all, Ironhack killed all of our social life. We studied in a coworking space and it was very cool to know new people that were working in the Tech field but when it was loudy it was difficult to hear the teacher sometimes and it was not pleasant.

Ironhack, the good parts:
    Being a university student in Barcelona made me realize how fucked up the actual education system is, don't get me wrong, I like what I'm doing as an engineering student but the Ironhack methodology is by far, more evolved than the actual system (in my opinion of course). They listened our fridays reviews and tried to change what could be changed. Also we learnt things that are used in today's companies and gave us advise about our job research. They cared about how we felt in the course (or at least the were very good at pretending that :P). It was not about the grades, it was about our knowledge and when 16 persons meet in a room to do what they love it just feels good. I never knew if I was able to work as an electronical engineer once I finish my studies but after this adventure I know for sure that I will work programming (mainly because I'm getting paid for doing that now).
  • Emily • Graduate

Pros:

• Barcelona: The location is beautiful and affordable. I enjoyed living there immensely, was able to meet a lot of locals, and lots of great people in general. It's also relatively inexpensive and very walkable.
    • Staff: People are really friendly, and I want them to succeed
    • Instructors: About half of our instructors were great to fantastic and we learned a ton during their weeks.
    • Class size: We had just 10 people in my cohort and we really felt like a family by the end.
    • Atmosphere: It's very laid back, and a comfortable and safe feeling space.
    • Network: They have a good Barcelona network, which is great if you want to live there and have an EU visa.
    • Job assistance for EU citizens: They have a strong network in Barcelona and can get you interviews. Instructors and speakers will also be looking out for you and helping make connections. However, once my colleagues who are EU-citizens left Barcelona they found that assistance dropped off like a cliff and there was minimal communication.
    • I learned a ton.

Cons:

• Staff: Despite their friendliness, commuication was a huge issue. Even before class started, I missed most of the Hangouts because I didn't realize the times were being posted to Slack. Emails were not returned in a timely manner before, during, and after my session. People were defensive when offered feedback. I was often told "So and so will contact you about your concern." and then silence.
    • Instructors: Two of our instructors were awful and it felt like they just wasted a week of our time which is a big deal when you are only studying for 6 weeks. We basically had to relearn everything we learned from our first JS teacher. They made up for the bad CSS class by bringing in a great instructor later on, but it meant we lost a day of working on our final project.
    • Curriculum: It was frequently commented by my colleagues that it felt like we were being experimented on too much and I agree with them. We alternated between JS and Ruby instruction and the context switching was very confusing. They started us off the bat with Ruby and OO which was completely overwhelming for most people our first week.
    • Visa sponsorhip for non-EU: You will probably not be able to find someone to sponsor you for a visa. I wanted to stay and it seemed like it should be doable (I was one of the strongest students in the cohort), but even though there was some interest ultimately what I heard was it's way too hard to sponsor and very few companies are willing to do it. You are limited to large foreign companies and even then it can take 3 months.
    • Job Assistance: Good or bad depending on your needs. I'm going to move this out of the bullet, so read on below.
    • We lost internet for a few days and last a ton of class time as a result. They didn't have a contingency plan so we had already lost almost two days before they found us a temp new space. Internet was pretty consistently bad the whole time we were there.

They were great while I was still in Barcelona, but as soon as I returned back to the states they went silent. I had previously decided with the cofounder that we would work on Barcelona until I left and then switch to SF. After two weeks of silence (I pinged a couple people during that time), I sent another email and this time they apologized and said it was a new guy's responsibility.

I scheduled a Skype call with the new guy and I thought maybe things would improve. Well, he sent me a list of sites with job postings. And then the next week he sent me another email with one more site with a job posting. In the meantime I was adding the jobs I applied to on to a spreadsheet so they could see my progress.

I did know that they would have less of a network in the states, but the cofounders are well connected. So I knew that it would take more effort on my part. However, job placement is absolutely crucial for any startup bootcamp, and Ironhack is expanding in to Miami. To succeed in the more competitive bootcamp market in the US, you need to cultivate relationships with companies that are specifically interested and willing to hire bootcamp students.

My expectation was that they would reach out to companies and pitch Ironhack and their students– in other words be proactive. What actually happened was they checked my spreadsheet and if they knew someone there they put me in contact. Which is helpful and I don't want to discount that, except 2/3 of those contacts were for companies were I had already gotten myself an employee referral and since their contact wasn't in a position to hire me they couldn't really provide me any assistance. In my opinion this just isn't aggressive enough because if they can't hit a high placement % then they are doing good enough.

Ironhack's response is that they are working hard and this is what they told me I'd get, so if this meets your expectations you wil be fine. If not job placement is really important to you, you may want to look elsewhere.

Tl;dr: Can be good depending on your needs. They can help you get jobs in Barcelona if you are eligible to work there, but if you want a lot of help for a non-EU job search they are limited to providing contacts to companies you've applied to. So far from my cohort the only person placed through Ironhack was hired by Ironhack.

Summary:

It was a fun experience overall, and I don't regret it. I did learn a lot despite the hiccups. However, I can't help but feel like they could have done much better and the communication was consistently a huge issue. I felt frustrated by the time wasted because of bad or unprepared instructors and bad internet. I felt like they missed a lot of important topics such as code reviewing and interview prep. And job assistance didn't meet my expectations at all. So yeah, YMMV. Living in Barcelona though, that I can recommend with no hesistation.

• Christina Douzmanian • Graduate

I came to Ironhack with very little coding experience; although I had always had an interest in it, I only managed to pick up a few concepts here and there through various online tutorials. I had already applied and gotten into a few programming bootcamps (back in the US) when I heard of Ironhack. I was attracted by its location- Barcelona is a beautiful place-, the fact that they had scholarships for women, and the overwhelmingly positive experiences the graduates seemed to have.

My first few weeks at Ironhack proved to be extremely difficult- a good portion of the people in my program had much more programming experience than I did, and it took some work to catch up and learn the materials at the same rate as my colleagues. Luckily for me, the entire staff at Ironhack- the teachers, TAs, administrative staff- were all extremely helpful in making sure I caught up and had the support necessary to make some progress. Ultimately, I ended up catching up- and although the program was constantly challenging (for everyone!), I learned so much more than I could have ever learned on my own... and my final project was selected to be in the top 5 projects of my cohort!

The staff were all wonderful, responsive and helpful; the curriculum was difficult and set at a fast pace, but it was thorough and I never once felt like I lagged behind or didn't learn a concept well enough.

• Not worth the money
    - 10/29/2021
    I wouldn't tell you to believe anything they tell you in the selection interview, their networking in some countries is 0. Don't choose them for the networking, career week is very basic and I was promised in the interview that they would help me in the country I was in and they have no idea about the market. The quality of study is very fast, it's not because it's a bootcamp, I did two and at Ironhack they save a lot on teachers, they would need at least 3 TA's and they have 1. The reviews on GitHub are fast, you can apply to jobs with a horrible GitHub and not know it, you leave without knowing how to make a good GitHub. Personally I complained and they ignored me and now that I have a job they write to me to use me as an example and publicity, many people who come out as an example of success in Ironhack did not get help from Ironhack. It is very expensive for what they offer. The career week is about making your CV and very basic things, we didn't improve our GitHub, there was no networking and they didn't help us at all to make a portfolio, I don't recommend it.