codeup-logo

Codeup

Dallas, San Antonio

Codeup

Codeup is an immersive 20-week, in-person full stack web development, and data science career accelerator in San Antonio and Dallas. The Full Stack Web Development Java program covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Spring, and MySQL. The Data Science Program covers Python, SQL, data visualization, data analytics, data wrangling, and statistics. Codeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation.

Prospective students must submit a brief online application, interview with the Codeup team, and then pass a 40-minute test covering word problems, logic problems, and basic algebra. The application process is looking for three things: professionalism, motivation, and problem-solving ability. The most successful Codeup students are prepared to jump into careers as developers and data scientists, have a true motivation to become developers and enjoy the challenge of solving complex problems.

Codeup has a dedicated staff, employer network, and community partnerships to help students land entry-level positions in software development or data science. Students receive help on the job search through workshops, job fairs, and one-on-one support to navigate the tech industry.

Recent Codeup Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (33) reviews for Codeup →

Recent Codeup News

Read all (9) articles about Codeup →
  • Data Science

Start Date November 2, 2020
    LocationSan Antonio
    Codeup is an immersive 20-week, in-person full stack web development and data science career accelerator in San Antonio, Texas. ou will turn data into actionable intelligence and influence business decisions using Python, SQL, Machine Learning, data wrangling, data exploration, and data storytelling.
    DepositA $1,000 is required up front to reserve your seat in class, and that cost is deducted from your overall cost of tuition.
    We offer financing through our three loan partners, SkillsFund, Meritize, and Climb.
    Refund / GuaranteeCodeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation, contact Codeup directly to learn more about their refund program.
    ScholarshipWe offer over $25,000 in scholarships to each cohort to women in tech, minorities, LGBTQIA individuals, veterans, first responders, and relocators.
    Minimum Skill LevelBackground in a combination of math, stats, programming, business experience, and strong written/verbal communication. Our admissions process will gather a variety of data points to ensure each student will be successful in our program!
    November 2, 2020 - San Antonio
  • Full-Stack Web Development - Java

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End
    Start Date November 16, 2020
    LocationSan Antonio
    The Full Stack Web Development Java program covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Spring, and MySQL. Codeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation. Contact Codeup directly to learn more about their refund program.
    Deposit$1000 (part of total tuition cost)
    Codeup offers a wide variety of financing:
    • VA benefits
    • Financing through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    • Grants through Project Quest, Workforce Solutions Alamo, DARS, and TechWorks
    Scholarship$10,000 in scholarships to Women in Tech. $10,000 in scholarships to Minorities in Tech. $1,000 scholarships to LGBTQIA+, Veterans, Relocators, and First Responders.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkOnline pre-work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
    November 16, 2020 - San Antonio
  • Full-Stack Web Development - Java

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End
    LocationDallas
    Deposit$1000 (part of total tuition cost)
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkOnline pre-work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

• Matthew Zapata  User Photo
    Matthew Zapata • Data Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Codeup is for people who are looking to change careers into the tech industry. With their well planned curriculum, helpful instructors, and assistance with the job hunt, they really set you up for success. At the time of this review they are also offering a money back guarantee, so that helps relieve the risk of spending time and money if that is a concern.

I personally went into the program with no programming or machine learning experience, but I did have some statistics and basic knowledge of linear models. I would say this was the case for most students, they had some experience but were mostly new to what we would learn. As might be expected, going through a fast paced program (the weeks fly by) was challenging at times, so keep that in mind. This program is not something that most people will just breeze through. Some topics are harder than others so more work will need to done outside of the classroom to ensure you have a good understanding. I believe that the coursework itself lays a good foundation of data science skills so that you can feel comfortable applying to entry level roles and be prepared for interviews. The project portfolio that Codeup helps you build is an amazing thing to have as someone with no work experience. It allows you to showcase your new skills to employers and provides talking points during interviews. It also gives you hands on experience so you can apply what you learn to real data.

Of course, anyone going through this program is doing it so they can have a new job. Codeup's staff is great at helping with the job search. They talk with companies in the area to build interest, occasionally have companies come in to interview students, and have a Data Scientist Day so that employers can see the final group projects and meet with the students afterwards. Admittedly, the Data Science program is still new compared to the Web Development program. While the web dev program is established at this point as a good source of talent, most companies haven't had a chance to see what data science students can do. But don't let that deter you. In addition to the points mentioned above, Codeup also help you create resumes, LinkedIn and GitHub profiles, and get connections in the community. A lot of the interviews I got were from applying online, and I believe I only got those interviews because of my resume, LinkedIn profile, and GitHub repositories. So while a job offer might not immediately come, Codeup provides you good advice to stand out from other applicants and puts you in a good position to find a new job.

Finally, I just want to say that after working as a data analyst for 5 months that Codeup had prepared me well. I haven't yet had a project where I felt I didn't know what to do. I even knew some things that other members of my team didn't know (though that is probably the case for most teams since people tend to specialize in certain areas). In the end, attending Codeup was one of the best choices I ever made. I had been unemployed for several months before Codeup, stuck in the trap of trying to find an entry level job but every entry level job required experience. Before that I was working in a call center trying to get into vet school. Thanks to Codeup I now have a job I love and can afford to live the lifestyle I want.
  • Daniel Guerrero  User Photo
    Daniel Guerrero • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    If you have struggle to teach yourself python through the endless trap of free coding tutorials online, but you are still committed to learning all the skills that a successful data scientist needs - then you should really consider Codeup. I, like many people, came into the program with no coding experience. I had endlessly tried to teach myself by watching Youtube tutorials, but I felt that I wasn't really grasping anything.

Once I joined Codeup though, I immediately started noticing improvements. I went from struggling to write a "Hello World" print statement, to building complex command-line apps in a month, and that really was the beginning. While at Codeup, I learned how to successfully build machine learning algorithms to help answer a wide variety of problems. However, the reason why Codeup works so well, is because they don't just teach you how to write code and then move on. There is a considerable amount of time spent on how to actually tackle business relevant questions, and how to communicate your insights in an effective manner. These soft-skills, while might not look as good on a resume, will certainly give you an edge once you get employed, as these are the skills that every data scientist also needs to be successful.

The last thing that is worth mentioning is the fact that they have a phenomenal team dedicated solely to get you hired after you finish. Even before you are done with the program, you get one-on-one guidance to help understand what your goals and desires are for a job, and they work closely with you to help you achieve those goals. Even during the middle of the pandemic lockdown, their team helped me get a job offer within a month of finishing the program, and I really owe it to not only the preparation that the program has given me, but also the work that goes into helping you make connections and facilitate the job interview process.

If you are really serious about transitioning to a data science role - I highly recommend you consider Codeup, as it will give you the skills necessary to be successful, and they will help jumpstart your career by actually helping you transition into a professional role.
  • Amber Jones  User Photo
    Amber Jones • Application Developer in Payments at SWBC • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As I think back through my time at Codeup, I am pleased to say that every second of my attendance was valued by the staff and utilized for growth both mentally and professionally. Codeup staffs well-versed employees in all divisions of their company, including technology, strategic partnership, and product managing. By doing this, they can provide the best caliber education possible. In every city, the market slightly differs, and Codeup is aware of its surroundings. They are open to new evolving technology that is sought after, therefore producing a product like myself that will provide benefits to large corporations. Attending Codeup is more than just a prestigious education, you become part of the Codeup family and get to be apart of the Codeup name which rings highly throughout the walls of many technology companies. I highly recommend Codeup, if you are unsure, give them a call and you will immediately recognize the difference.
  • Bryan W  User Photo
    Bryan W • Lead Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Looking at a career transition is tough. Even after I knew I wanted to focus on a career in software development I still had the task of deciding how to proceed. Even once I decided that the boot camp approach was what I was going for I still had to decide on the best program for me. I visited campuses of 4 boot camps in the area, Codeup being my last. My mind was made up after my initial visit and chat with admissions.

I made my way through the prework as my first day of class approached, becoming more and more excited. The very first day was a whirlwind of meeting new people, getting your tech set up, and getting a general lay of the land. We then immediately jumped into the learning and didn't stop. The instructors even went out of their way to provide us some Holiday Challenges during the break to keep us on our toes. The whole experience wrapped up with a capstone project which forces you to complete a full-stack web application from start to finish and then to demo this project as the culmination of your learning over the past six months to a room full of family, friends, and potential employers.

I'm very happy with my outcome from Codeup and what I learned during my time there. Codeup did a great job of promoting immersion, "learning by doing," and would not only teach us how to code but also how to ask the right questions, how to be autodidactic, and how to market yourself as a developer. All this combined with the technical skills ensures that my fellow Codeup alumni are ready to tackle anything; problems don't scare us, they excite us.

You get out what you put in... and I put in a ton but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Thanks, Codeup, go Deimos!
  • Chris Aguirre  User Photo
    Chris Aguirre • Salesforce Developer Associate • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    When I first reached out to Codeup to see if I wanted to make the jump into a new career I had the pleasure of meeting the admissions team. They were very knowledgable, helpful, and super nice. I heard the staff was friendly and professional but you never really know how true something is until you experience it for yourself. I was told about the curriculum and how much it covered and found that it matched a lot of jobs that were in high demand in the city, so I thought if the admissions team was this nice I can imagine the rest of the staff. Having no prior coding knowledge, going through the course was a little hectic. It moves at a fast pace because there are a lot of things to cover in a short amount of time. The instructors are exceptional at teaching in bite-sized chunks that are easy to digest and easy to retain. From code along lessons to 1 on 1 meetings before or after class they really are there to make sure you have what you need to succeed in the course. Towards the end of the course you get to start working with the placement team who are friendly and helpful down to the details of if you want to stay local or if you're willing to re-locate to what kind of position you would feel more comfortable with. They help you set up a professional linked in page and teach you about networking to get yourself out there. Overall I had a great experience with this bootcamp and would recommend this to anyone who is interested in changing careers without hesitation.
  • Cameron Taylor  User Photo
    Cameron Taylor • Business Intelligence and Data Scientist, Senior Consultant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended their third data science cohort. They have a new cohort roughly every 6 months, and with each new iteration the course gets more and more impressive. We received lessons from 3 instructors, each of whom proved to be extraordinarily proficient at what they were teaching, both in the classroom and out. The two main benefits of Codeup are the extremely knowledgeable and helpful instructors, and the man working diligently every day behind the scenes to help us all get a job afterward: Stephen. Without his efforts, the massively impressive number of students who get a job in their field of study wouldn't be nearly as high. I had an amazing time there, and became friends with a number of my classmates afterwards as well. I could not have asked for a better way to enter the data science field.
  • Ted Zamarron  User Photo
    Ted Zamarron • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently went thru Codeup's Full Stack Web Development course and graduated June 2020. The course was very fast paced and you learn all you need for the basics. The staff is there to make sure you learn and will help you the best they can. Towards the end of your time you start preparing for applying for jobs with mock interviews, resume assistance and overall information.
    Halfway through my course we had to go virtual due to Covid and it was a rough transition but all the staff and instructors went above and beyond to ensure we got what we needed, provided we were willing to put forth the effort.
    Overall I would say that I enjoyed the course and would recommend it to anyone. You won't leave being a master at all, instead you learn the skill to learn anything in the field with a full alumni and others to support you through the course and after.
  • Sarah B  User Photo
    Sarah B • Full Stack Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Okay.. so you want to go to a bootcamp? Choose Codeup!!

Everything about Codeup, from the staff, environment, and it's Full Stack Development curriculum, were great. The course is fast-paced, however you are informed of the course expectations before enrolling, and ensuring the program is a good fit for you. The instructors have great knowledge and do a great job explaining the course material, to ensure students better understand course topics. Instructors are willing to assist in questions and available for office hours, if needed. In this program, you get what you put in, for sure! I did not have any previous knowledge in tech, and learning everything in this course quickly was a challenge, but definitely worth it! Prior to completing the program, you work closely with a Career Placement Advisor, who takes the time to get to know you and ask you about what type of positions and workplace YOU are interested in. Codeup promises that if you can not find a job after completing the course, you get your money back - and there's no catch! They even offer grants, scholarships, and partner with lenders for financial assistance.

Going through the program and, and in my case, having multiple job offers before fully completing my capstone project, shows me that Codeup is 100% serious (and confident!!) about wanting to be able to assist you in changing your life for the better!

• Developer Analyst
    - 1/23/2020
    Lance Crowder  User Photo
    Lance Crowder • Developer Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

.puppeteer-highlight.blue { border: 2px solid blue !important; } .puppeteer-highlight.green { border: 2px solid green !important; } .puppeteer-highlight.red { border: 2px solid red !important; }

I had an amazing time at Codeup!  The instructors and staff are all willing to do everything it takes to make sure you have everything you need to succeed.  When we were doing my capstone project I got an impromptu chance to interview with a giant in the industry, but I wasn't ready.  Jeans, Tshirt, ball cap... NOT ready. One of the Office Staff gave me the shirt off of his actual back so I could sit for that interview, and I got the job!

Codeup doesn't just teach you to code, they teach you how to LEARN to code.  I got hired two weeks before graduation, and after 18 weeks of learning full stack development with Java I started working in a Ruby on Rails shop.  Three weeks after starting I was pushing features to production and end users were using my code.

I recommend Code up in the most emphatic way

• Steven Quintanilla  User Photo
    Steven Quintanilla • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Phenomenal, that is the only word that comes to my mind when I look back at my experience at Codeup. I knew beforehand that Codeup was a reputable school with excellent reviews, but Codeup still far exceeded my expectations by their amazing support, wonderful staff, and their comprehensive curriculum that made my learning experience as smooth as possible. From the very first day till the very last, I knew I was getting the best experience that I could ever ask for from a coding bootcamp. This review will be a bit longwinded, but please give it a read through, so I can help you understand why going to Codeup was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

Curriculum: The curriculum will initially cover some of the basics and foundational knowledge you will need as a Software Developer. As time goes by and as you proceed deeper into the curriculum, you will be introduced to more advanced topics and feel yourself grow as a developer. By the end of the program, you will have the complete skillset you will need to succeed in software development industry. The skills and lessons I learned from Codeup has helped me immensely in my current role as a full-stack developer and couldn’t imagine getting by at my job if I didn’t have the knowledge I gained from Codeup.

Staff: The staff and instructors here will go above and beyond to make sure you not only have a pleasant experience here at Codeup, but will do anything they can to help you succeed. Before the program even started for me, I was able to get excellent assistance in getting grants and funding that I never knew I was even eligible for. And the instructors themselves, are to this day, the best teachers I ever had the pleasure to learn from. They did an amazing job introducing and breaking down advanced concepts that seemed intimidating at first, but made them a breeze to learn through. The staff here is one of the finer points here at Codeup and should serve as an example on what every coding bootcamp should strive for.

Job Assistance: This is, of course, the most important topic when it comes to coding bootcamps. This is what makes and breaks decisions for a lot of people when they decide whether or not they will attend a specific coding bootcamp. For anyone that is reading this, please know that if you do decide to go to Codeup, you will receive the best job assistance you could ever ask for and that you are in good hands. The Codeup staff that handles job assistance will do everything they can to make sure to not only land you a job in tech, but land a job that you will feel the most comfortable with moving forward. During the program, we went through mock interviews, resume improvement workshops, and had interviews setup for us to various tech companies. By the end of the program, I accepted a job offer a week after graduating and was placed into a career that I never felt happier working in.

It’s hard to believe that it’s already been almost a year since I graduated from Codeup. Not only was the program a wonderful experience, but it was start of my journey as a Software Developer. I will never forget all the great moments I had in Codeup, and my only regret is that I didn’t come into this program sooner than I did. I hope this review gave you a glimpse on how Codeup can impact your life, because it made a huge difference in mine. Thank you for taking the time to read this review, and thank you to everyone at the Codeup team for giving me the best learning experience I could ever ask for. It’s been a pleasure, truly

• Highly Recommend
    - 12/31/2019
    Ryan Smith  User Photo
    Ryan Smith • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

6 months ago I was a security contractor overseas in a comletely unrelated profession, military background and zero experience in tech. I never did well in any math or science related classes in school.

Today, I'm a newly hired software developer at a major company. Without Codeup, it would have taken me years to learn the skills necessary to land a job as an entry level developer somewhere. Or years working at a company before I could slide over into a developer position.

They don't just hand out certificates to everyone for attending. Coming from a military background as well as serving as a missionary in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Colombia, I can safely say this is one of the more difficult things I have done.

That's how you know Codeup is the real deal. They expect you to give everything you have and in return the staff gives back everything they have. If you want a piece of paper, or a certificate for attendance. Go somewhere else. If you want the actual hard skills, confidence and knowledge to go get a real job in the field you trained in. Codeup is the easy choice.

Long after other boot camps fad away after a couple of years, Codeup will still be here changing peoples lives and actively involved in the tech community.
  • Lexi Morgan  User Photo
    Lexi Morgan • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I researched coding bootcamps off and on for about 3 years before I finally decided to apply to Codeup. After applying, I attended one of the Learn To Code Workshops to get an idea of what Codeup was about. Ryan Orsinger taught the workshop, and his passion and knowledge of everything code is what convinced me that this was absolutely the right choice. It was very important to me that if I was going to pay for a bootcamp it had to have high quality instructors, curriculum, and job placement, and Codeup delivered. Codeup's website has a ton of information on the languages they teach, application process, coding workshops, and FAQ's so I won't repeat that here. This is my attempt to share the information I would've found useful when I was applying to Codeup.

Community: On the first day, we received a membership to Geekdom and Tech Bloc, so you immediately feel like you're part of the tech community.

Curriculum: I had no experience coding before Codeup. The curriculum is challenging, but that's exactly what I wanted. The instructors are very supportive, but they won't just give you the answers. They push you to figure it out on your own, make sure you're on the right track, and provide hints when you're stuck. The instructors are great and will do everything they can to make sure you succeed, but you have to put in the work. Programming takes practice, and no one can do that for you. You have to want to learn and want to grow in order to succeed in this class. It is very fast paced, and it is important that you do this bootcamp at a time that you're prepared for that. One of the most important things they teach you is how to learn new languages. My job requires me to learn new languages and frameworks frequently, and I'm never overwhelmed by it because Codeup prepared me for this. Class is a mixture of lecture, assignments, projects (some individual, some in groups), quizzes and tests. I believe my cohort started with 25 students and ended with 20.

Job Placement:  Stephen Salas is excellent at job placement. He helped us write resumes, update LinkedIn, and set up interviews. We all went through 2 practice technical interviews with instructors, and received feedback. I received two offers before graduation, one of which I accepted and am happily working at today. About half of my class was placed before graduation, and the rest within the following weeks. A lot of employers attended our demo day, and there is a lot of opportunity to set up interviews during the networking session afterwards. You will get a job.

Salary: The average salary for entry-level developers in San Antonio is $50,000, but the range of salaries for my class went well above that. Most of my class accepted jobs in San Antonio and Dallas. Before attending Codeup I was a teacher, and I was able to double my salary.

Conclusion: Codeup is worth every penny. I enjoyed every minute of it, and it is by far the best thing I have ever done for my career. I highly recommend going to a learn to code workshop and reading all off the FAQ's on the website.

Codeup Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 56 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read CodeUp's full CIRR Jobs Report here.