Need a summary of news about coding bootcamps from July 2017? Course Report has just what you need! We’ve put together the most important news and developments in this blog post and podcast. In July, we read about the closure of two major coding bootcamps, we dived into a number of new industry reports, we heard some student success stories, we read about new investments in bootcamps, and we were excited to hear about more diversity initiatives. Plus we round up all the new campuses and new coding bootcamps around the world.
- We published the 2017 Course Report Market Growth Report which found that the industry has grown 1.5x, to an estimated 22,949 graduates in 2017, up from 15,077 in 2016.
- Flatiron School in New York City published their latest student outcomes report.
- PhD Student, Kyle Thayer, did a research study about coding bootcamp students published in a peer reviewed publication.
- An EdSurge article covered a report which blames increasing tuition, and coding bootcamps for athe decline in college enrollments.
- Inside Higher Ed announced a new report by nonprofit research group, Ithaka S&R, that describes the landscape for non-degree postsecondary training, including coding bootcamps.
Bootcamp Student Experiences
Coding Bootcamp Leadership
Diversity/Women in Tech
Paying for Bootcamp
New Coding Schools/Campuses/Courses
- According to GoodCall, data science bootcamp Metis has launched a DigitalGlobe Data Challenge as a part of the 12-week full-time data science course.
- According to Technical.ly DC and a few other publications, Coding Dojo is ending their Ruby on Rails course, and replacing it with a full stack Java course.
- According to My Broadband, WeThinkCode is expanding with campuses opening in Cape Town, and potentially across the rest of sub-Saharan Africa.
- And the Tennessean announced that Birmingham-based bootcamp, Covalence, will be opening a new campus in Nashville, TN beginning October 2nd.
- According to Euronews, a coding school in Brussels is working to make technology education available to everyone, no matter their academic or economic background.
- Applications are now open for Clubhou.se Code Bootcamp in Augusta, which offers a full time, 3-month bootcamp.
- The Israel Innovation Authority is kicking off a new $2.8 million coding boot camp program meant to provide six to 12 months of intensive training for college graduates in the sciences who are interested in a computer programming career.
New Schools on CR
- Southern Careers Institute, San Antonio and Austin, TX
- SE Factory, Beirut, Lebanon
- DevTree Academy, Sandpoint, Idaho
- UNIT Factory, Kiev, Ukraine
- UP Academy, Lisbon, Portugal
- University of Miami Coding Bootcamp, Miami, FL
- University of Richmond Coding Bootcamp, Richmond, VA
- Beginex, New York City, NY
- USC Viterbi Data Analytics Boot Camp in Los Angeles, CA
- University of Minnesota Coding Boot Camp, Minneapolis, MN
Favorite Pieces on the Blog
If you enjoyed this podcast, help other future bootcampers find it by going to iTunes, subscribing to the Course Report podcast, and leaving a review.