flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Colorado Springs, Denver, New York City, Online

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, cybersecurity, and product design (UX/UI design). Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers by providing a robust career services framework and dedicated one-on-one coaching post graduation that is included as an added value with the tuition.

The application process asks prospective students to share a bit about themselves and what is driving them to start a career. The process includes speaking with an Admissions representative in a non-technical interview to allow for the opportunity to get to know each other better in a friendly conversation. Applicants will also need to complete a 15-minute critical thinking and problem-solving assessment afterwards. Applicants will receive an acceptance decision from Admissions within 4 business days of completing the assessment.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to an extensive employer network to help students launch fulfilling careers in tech after graduation.

Flatiron School powers the Access Scholarship which invested $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all of Flatiron School’s campuses and online courses in 2020. The Access Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education. To build a more diverse and inclusive tech community, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry and a pioneer in providing 3rd party examined job placement reports. Read their full independently-examined jobs reports at: https://flatironschool.com/jobs-reports/

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.53

all (544) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (179) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Engineering

LocationColorado Springs, Denver, New York City, Online
    Our Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    DepositYes
    We’ve partnered with Ascent and Climb, two well-known financing companies, to give all eligible students the option to pay for courses with monthly payments for up to 36 months with Skills Fund, and 42 months with Climb.
    Tuition PlansLive: Upfront, Pay with a Loan Flex: Pay Upfront, Pay with a Loan, Pay installments For more visit https://flatironschool.com/tuition-financing/?utm_source=coursereport&utm_campaign=tuitioninfo&utm_medium=affiliate
    ScholarshipScholarships available for those who quality contact for more information https://flatironschool.com/scholarships/diversity-initiatives/?utm_source=coursereport&utm_medium=affilaite
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science

LocationDenver, New York City, Online
    The Data Science course provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required.
  • Product Design (UX/UI Design)

Design
    LocationDenver, New York City, Online
    Flatiron School’s Product Design course takes a modern approach to teaching digital design - one which is frequently validated by hiring managers and that will leave students fully prepared to pursue a variety of career paths, including UX Designer, UI Designer, Product Designer, or Full Stack Developer. Flatiron School’s Product Design course focuses on designing digital products, such as websites or mobile applications. Flatiron School course is crafted so anyone and everyone can be successful, regardless of skill level, artistic background, or coding knowledge. The course starts with ethical and inclusive design principles then progresses through UX and UI concepts, which includes instruction on cutting-edge tools like Figma. Students will end the course with a portfolio of project work intended to catch the eye of hiring managers. Flatiron School Product Design students rave about the structure, support, and camaraderie throughout the course.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous product design experience is required.
  • Software Engineering

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, Rails, React.js, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL, AngularJS, Algorithms, Git, GitHub, jQuery
    LocationDenver, New York City, Online
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. Students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required.
  • J Lee  User Photo
    J Lee • Support Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I very much enjoyed my Flatiron School experience! (For full transparency, I just signed an offer after 2.5 months of searching so I'm feeling particularly positive right now!) The instructors and curriculum did a great job of setting guide rails to success. Do not think this is not hard work or a commitment, but if you commit yourself to this and spend extra time you can leave in a good position to find an entry level job in tech, while acknowledging that getting your foot in the door is very challenging. The career coach services were very helpful.

Important takeaways:
    JavaScript, HTML/CSS, React, Ruby on Rails is a solid full stack to work from but you really get just a taste of each. If you want more of a back end focus, be sure to supplement more.
    Results can differ based on who is leading your cohort. Your lecturers are all very solid, but hope your cohort leader who you will be communicating with on the daily in alignment with you.
    Start learning data structures and algos early. Flatiron gives you a basic curriculum you can do on your own but get started early. Your job search will thank you.
    The more you put in, the more you get out!
  • Nicole Candiotti  User Photo
    Nicole Candiotti • Associate Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I completed the life, full time software engineering bootcamp this year (15 weeks, full time 9-6). Overall, I would recommend the program. I thought it was very well organized, and the materials were educational and easy to follow. I would do the program again, because I do not think I would have been able to learn the material as quickly on my own, and I attribute this to the pace of the program, instructor support, and coding challenges/projects which held me accountable to keep up. I also really enjoyed the community flatiron offers, there are a lot of events and networking opportunities. There is a good amount of self study and independent learning involved, so to do the program virtually I would recommend having strong self-discipline to complete coursework at home. The networking opportunities and connections I made at Flatiron enables me to get a job within 3 weeks of graduation.
  • Caryn Bailey  User Photo
    Caryn Bailey • Student Verified via GitHub
    In this school, the part-time flex program, it is self-directed. And they mean it. You are left to your own devices. The only help you get is from former students who are paid $20 an hour to answer a question if you by chance get stuck but I have gotten timed out in those chat calls. Several didn't want to share the screen to help you through the lab in Visual Studio, etc. Before class even starts you are given 75-100 hours of pre-work to finish no matter if you're part-time or full-time. I'm working full time and specified I had 20-30 hours a week of time to work on this course work. But I ended up working 7-8 hours after work a night and 10 hours on a weekend day. I was exhausted, had migraines, and literally made myself sick that I was put in the ER. After I was timed out again from a chat, I tried to call the school, and there is no live person who picks up the phone. I emailed onboarding and I was stalled until I played phone tag with the admissions director. By that time, I decided to go to another school that was a better fit. I left a message saying that I was pulling out of the program and asked him for a refund of all money received. An hour later, I received an email from him saying that my behavior was in violation of the student code of conduct and they were disqualifying me from the school.

So, essentially, it was the hypothetical 'I quit' and 'you can't quit but I fired you'. Real professional and maturity there. I have read reviews where people tried to persist through the program, ended up with the debt and little to show for it, and now feel blessed to have gotten out when I did even though I spent 80 hours on their program with no support, no instructors. They tell you to learn four or five languages on your own.

Please, if you're considering the part-time flex program with them, take this as a word of caution. You will be on your own. You won't have much support but former students who will only help on occasion and an advisor who will tell you how much of the program you have completed by a percentage every Friday. Is that really what you want to pay $15-$16K for? You can save money and sign up for Code Academy for $19 a month. It's a good program for giving you the basics of various coding languages.

• The journey
    - 4/6/2022
    Michel Pace  User Photo
    Michel Pace • Ruby engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This was one of the most rewarding things i have done for my life.  It was tough it made me strong not only in skills but emtional it out me in a place where I can succeed. I question their course the first week. not understanding the  way things work. But in hind side I would not have it any other way. Take the leap they will catching you and teach you to fly trust me. I m a programmer !  landed a job 5 days in to my job declaration. Nick L. Was an amazing instructor with you every step of the way. was really there when you needed him and super friendly and not intimating to talk to when you have issue with code or life . man without Nick I would have had a much harder time. Brian W. my career instructor  was flexible and a real asset to my branding and resume writing. I thought I was an ace resume writer, through friendly interaction we took my resume from great to Outstanding !
  • Katie  User Photo
    Katie • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Without any prior tech or coding experience, I completed Flatiron School's Software Engineering bootcamp, and have landed my first developer role within two months of beginning my job search, with the help of the school's unmatched career services and post-graduation support.
  • Alavi Ahnaf   User Photo
    Alavi Ahnaf • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hello,

My name is Alavi Ahnaf I start cybersecurity analyst program in January 2021. I graduate it in April 2021. I did my best in cyber security analyst program, It was extremely hard for me because they don't provide any kind of sources which means they don't have any good professors or help from anyone at all. In this program you're pretty much in your own. If you are someone who can do things in your own than this is for you. But, if you're someone who's visual leaner like me than will have a lot difficulties in this school. I didn't know this before getting into this. I get to this field having so much hope that I would be successful and get job after but no this school doesn't do anything for you no help so ever with anything. They are useless and will put you in a lot of in debt. When I was doing the classes I struggle so much still I didn't give up I finish my classes when it was time for the job search no one in class explain anything how to do it anything. You need to figure out all the directions yourself.  After the program was over you to do the job search log which is about 6 months and you have to follow up every week with career coach that time I got Sara Aharon as career coach. She use to look over my work whatever job search I use to do and log. She use to tell me is correct when it wasn't at all.I know for 6 months I been doing it correct after when its over I apply for money refund since still I didn't get the job right. I met with Samantha Arthur who's a career service coach as well she say to me I am not qualified for money back guarantee because my work is not correct the logs I did for job search is not meeting the requirements of the money back guarantee.  She ask me to contact someone high than her who's Mollie Khine I spoke to her and everything she say she will review my job search logs again. Finally she get back to me after two weeks and tell me I am not qualified because I didn't meet the requirements  when Sara Aharon use to check my logs who use to tell me it's correct. This school has ruin my life and made me so depressed please guys I am trying to help you all I don't anyone to go through this as what I am going through. I am suffering I have no job right now in so much in debit. I wanted to do this so I can gain my experience and get somethings better so I can make some good money. I start this school thinking is covid time I can do this program and my career but no something else happened. This school put me in horrible situation now I have a loan to pay of $17 thousand because of them I don't know I will pay that. I am so sick too because of them. Please I hope the school read this I want you guys to be aware that please don't ruin students life they come to school with the hope that they will be successful and get better job not they will be in debit pleaseeeeeeee don't lie to students about anything, don't ruin their career or credits. ##########saynotoslatironschool################stay on your words$$$$$$######## worse experience, bad school, bad professors and career coaches are worse and disgusting. NO STUDENTS SHOULD COME TO THIS SCHOOL!!!!! RIP OFF SCHOOL!!!!!!!!

• Norberto Santiago  User Photo
    Norberto Santiago • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, I'm happy with Flatiron School as they even helped me land a job after I graduated. The curriculum is challenging and getting the projects done is not as easy as it may sound. You have to study to be successful. The only problem I can think of is an inconsistency between cohort leads. I've had to change cohorts a few times due to personal issues and had some bad experiences with some teachers. I would recommend FS to improve on the teacher's consistency. Other than that, it was an absolutely great experience learning all the tools to become an Entry Level Software Engineer.
  • Carlos  User Photo
    Carlos • Cybersecurity Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in cyber.  Great foundational knowledge that opens a lot of possibilities within the security realm.  The full-time course is extremely challenging although worth the fight.  You definitely learn how to self study which will prepare you for post graduation work thats necessary for job placement.  I personally went in more of a pen testing direction and in hindsight maybe would have taken their cyber engineering course instead.  BUT, not mad at my decision at all.  Great atmosphere and my cohort and instructors were awesome!  You can do it!
  • Amazing Experience
    - 2/15/2022
    Karson Kalt  User Photo
    Karson Kalt • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    About two years ago I decided that I wanted to make a major change in my life and  move into software engineering. I was pretty upset with work at the time and exhausted. I started researching how I could learn to code and came across Flatiron. I was a little hesitant because of all the promises and success stories I was seeing -- could it really be that good? On top of that the price was a little steep and the landing page seemed market-y and kind of turned me off.

My partner encouraged me to at least investigate and have a conversation. From the minute I met someone at Flatiron I felt a connection and decided to take the jump. After a year of the program part time ( A TON OF WORK!) I graduated feeling excited and fresh. They supported me throughout the job search and encouraged me to keep learning post-graduation.

I never would have thought in 1 million years that I could be a success story and that I would be raving about Flatiron. From my instructors to the support from career services, I have felt empowered and challenged every step of the way. I am so proud to be a flatiron grad and will say...

BEST DECISION I EVER MADE!

• Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Student Verified via GitHub
    Flatiron School offers a solid intro to software engineering and will leave you well-equipped to build your own full stack applications once you graduate. The core material covers JavaScript, React.js (a powerful, frontend JavaScript framework that makes developing frontend applications faster, easier, and more efficient, without sacrificing any functionality/flexibility), Ruby, and Ruby on Rails (a handy backend framework that makes routing organization and logic streamlined and efficient). The combination of React and Rails is quite powerful, and can give you a lot of agency when it comes to developing your own projects.

This is just a bootcamp, however, and while you'll learn a ton in 3 months, there is still going to be a lot to learn (like a lot - even if you don't find the material conceptually challenging, the sheer amount of it can be overwhelming at times; be ready to devote almost all your time to this). Enter with that mindset and exit with that mindset. You're going to be a perpetual students - get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Expect not to know everything and get used to learning new things as you go.

One of the great things about Flatiron school is the awesome career coaching they give after graduation. You'll not only have competent technical skills - with the help of a career coach, you'll have a polished online presence as well, which can be a game changer when it comes to getting hired.

Before entering this program, I'd recommend learning about and playing around with HTML and CSS, which you can easily do using resources like Codecademy and W3schools. Flatiron doesn't spend much time on these languages, but they're both crucial for full-stack development. I'd also recommend studying some JavaScript, Ruby, and/or Python beforehand, to familiarize yourself with coding logic and organization. JavaScript would be particularly valuable, as you'll be able to start using it with your HTML and CSS to build dynamic frontend applications.

Flatiron does also have supplemental Data Structures and Algorithms material, but it's not a core aspect of the curriculum. The course briefly touches SQL, too, but you don't use it much. I'd recommend studying both of these if you have time - they're really valuable skills to have post graduation, and will give you a firmer understanding of software engineering in general (especially on the backend).

Overall, if you're think of attending a software engineering bootcamp, I think Flatiron is a solid choice. You'll definitely leave with a ton of knowledge and ability, and you'll have a great network of fellow students and alumni once you graduate. It changed my life, and if you put in the work, it'll change yours too.
  • It Worked
    - 2/2/2022
    Dan  User Photo
    Dan • Associate Professional Services Contact Center Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was skeptical and prepared to me taken advantage of, but I have to say the process worked. I did the part-time program and, while it was still fairly grueling, I learned a lot and stumbled through the rest. The pacing did make things tough, but my cohort leads were as helpful as they could be. Their chat support also notably improved as I progressed through the curriculum and they seemed to make changes on that end. The job assistance was really top-notch and that was why I went in the first place. I was able to land a full-salaried job with training within a month of declaring my job search.
  • student
    - 1/16/2022
    Jeffrey Ng  User Photo
    Jeffrey Ng • Student Verified via GitHub
    I'll talk about the bad and then the positives. My only complaint is that career services didn't set me up with the right career coach. I had a hunch that maybe the career coach wasn't doing much in helping me get employed. Her means of encouragement and assistance didn't suit me. She was a "critiquer."  I changed my career coach after a year of ineffective coaching and got hired within 3 months. The new career coach spurred me to study harder and boosted my confidence during the interview. She noticed that there was a flaw in my mindset and corrected it right away whereas my old career coach never saw it. This was my only bad experience with Flatiron. Everything else was great. I was challenged, fairly assessed, had great classmates, and had a great academic atmosphere built for progress and stimulating engagements. The faculty believes in their students' abilities and aren't afraid to push you. The presentations and daily schedules prepared you for real-life. It's how hard you are willing to push yourself because Flatiron does not put a cap on that. I would recommend Flatiron to any serious-minded career folks looking to get into Data Science as a career.

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here