flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, cybersecurity, and product design (UX/UI design). Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers by providing a robust career services framework and dedicated one-on-one coaching post graduation that is included as an added value with the tuition.

The application process asks prospective students to share a bit about themselves and what is driving them to start a career. The process includes speaking with an Admissions representative in a non-technical interview to allow for the opportunity to get to know each other better in a friendly conversation. Applicants will also need to complete a 15-minute critical thinking and problem-solving assessment afterwards. Applicants will receive an acceptance decision from Admissions within 4 business days of completing the assessment.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to an extensive employer network to help students launch fulfilling careers in tech after graduation.

Flatiron School powers the Access Scholarship which invested $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all of Flatiron School’s campuses and online courses in 2020. The Access Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education. To build a more diverse and inclusive tech community, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry and a pioneer in providing 3rd party examined job placement reports. Read their full independently-examined jobs reports at: https://flatironschool.com/jobs-reports/

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.58

all (511) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (160) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Engineering

LocationAustin, Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Online, New York City
    Our Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    DepositYes
    We’ve partnered with Ascent and Climb, two well-known financing companies, to give all eligible students the option to pay for courses with monthly payments for up to 36 months with Skills Fund, and 42 months with Climb.
    Tuition PlansLive: Upfront, Pay with a Loan Flex: Pay Upfront, Pay with a Loan, Pay installments For more visit https://flatironschool.com/tuition-financing/?utm_source=coursereport&utm_campaign=tuitioninfo&utm_medium=affiliate
    ScholarshipScholarships available for those who quality contact for more information https://flatironschool.com/scholarships/diversity-initiatives/?utm_source=coursereport&utm_medium=affilaite
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science

LocationAustin, Online, Houston, Seattle, Chicago, Washington, New York City
    The Data Science course provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required.
  • Product Design (UX/UI Design)

Design
    Our Product Design bootcamp teaches you the in-demand UX/UI skills necessary to launch a career in product design. Reinvent your future in product design. Flatiron School's product design course teaches you the UX/UI processes that shape products and, how to collaborate with developers, designers, and other stakeholders to communicate a product vision that serves both the end-user and the business — the cornerstone of good design. You will learn by doing, through multiple projects and a case study, you will build a visual portfolio utilizing the latest technology and tools. This portfolio will help position you for job seeking success post-graduation.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous product design experience is required.
  • Software Engineering

jQuery, GitHub, Git, Algorithms, CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, Rails, React.js, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL, AngularJS
    LocationWashington, Online, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. Students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required.
  • Stephanie Segura  User Photo
    Stephanie Segura • Digital Software Engineer / Intermediate Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Coming from a background of dentistry, I knew absolutely nothing about coding. The Flatiron School equipped me with the tools and skills I needed to succeed in this field. Not only were the instructors and staff incredible, but the atmosphere was so wholesome and amazing! I've made incredible friends along the way, and I am forever grateful that I chose to enroll in this bootcamp!
  • Don't.
    - 5/12/2021
    Joe  User Photo
    Joe • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I write this sincerely as someone who put themselves in unnecessary debt with the hopes of turning my career around. Please, if you are someone who is looking to get into Cybersecurity, please explore your options when it comes to continuing education. Flatiron school is a scam. I am embarrassed to have partaken in the Cybersecurity cohort. Everyone, from the instructors to the career service personnel are well aware that this program does not provide for you what it says it does. I am now $17,000 in the hole because I believed in this program.

The biggest red flag was one of the instructors writing an article in regard to Bootcamps not preparing students for the workplace. Imagine your college professor writing an article saying "This is all horse**** and I know it!", then showing up to work everyday (I say everyday sparingly). There is no ROI here. I graduated in January and career services has "matched" me with companies that are looking for EXPERIENCED candidates. The promise of "Come in with no experience and leave ready for the workplace" is absolute trash and the administration knows it. We had one professor quit in the middle of the cohort. One professor not show for the first two weeks. One professor refuse to listen to our concerns and then would go on "vacation" every other week leaving us with a substitute instructor. So many red flags, but I tried to stay positive as I have immense pressure from everyone around me to succeed. This school and their practices has effectively destroyed my mental health and no amount of "Virtual Happy Hours" will fix that. I genuinely feel bad for anyone employed here. I could imagine they don't sleep too well at night. If they do, the sociopathy epidemic is worse than I imagined.

As you can tell I am fuming writing this review so I am trying to be as objective as possible. Stay away. This school puts all of their attention on Software Development and introduced Cybersecurity simply as another stream of revenue.

My parting words for Flatiron are simple: You know what you're doing. You know what it does to people. You're well aware of your price point. Reconstruct your business model. Save lives.
    Response From: Jaslyn Ferguson of Flatiron School
    Title: Flatiron School Community Manager
    Thursday, May 27 2021
    Hi Joe, thank you for sharing your feedback. At Flatiron School, we pride ourselves in equipping our students with the skills necessary to pursue careers in a variety of tech fields including cybersecurity. We’re sorry to hear that you feel this goal was not met during your experience.

As with most boot camp programs, we do our best to educate incoming students that everyone’s journey will look different. Some students come in with less experience than others and are still able to excel, although this is not always the case.

We agree. “Virtual Happy Hours” don’t cut it, which is why we are planning to offer in-person resources at select campuses, as soon as we can safely do so within CDC COVID-19 guidelines. It’s been a challenging year for many people, but we are happy to announce our plans to reopen campuses here: https://bit.ly/2Sjt8Y4.

While Software Engineering is our flagship program, we value all of our programs equally and have built them with the same goal in mind - to prepare students with the skills needed to pursue a career in that field. Our Career Services team works with each student months beyond graduation, meeting weekly to help with everything from résumé review to interview prep. We’ve built relationships with hiring managers at top companies across the world, constantly advocating for our grads and helping them get in the door. We are proud to say that Flatiron School grads have gone on to work at some of cybersecurity's most influential and innovative tech companies.

Student success is our top priority and we will investigate your situation further. If you feel you were not given these opportunities, please feel free to reach out to studentservices@flatironschool.com to continue the conversation.

Thank you again for your feedback!

• Sam M  User Photo
    Sam M • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I attended the part time online Software Engineering Bootcamp with Flatiron last year and had a great experience! Basically, we went through five main modules. Each module involved learning about languages/frameworks through reading written lessons, doing coding labs, having a couple of class meetings a week where our instructor reviewed the content, or showed us bonus content, and at the end, building an app with what we had learned. We also did pair programming every week with other students. The curriculum worked great for me, and I really appreciated the learning style of mostly reading about something and practicing doing it myself! Flatiron's online bootcamp also has feature where you could ask a question about a lesson and someone would come help if you needed it, which was great!
    My only quibble with the way the instruction was structured was because everyone was learning at their own pace, sometimes I would find the class meetings helpful and informative and sometimes I would find them difficult to parse, depending on where I was in the material. Where we should have been at by the time we attended a lecture to get the most out of it was wasn't made clear. This is a small critique though as most lectures were helpful and really, all of the information I needed was in the written lessons anyway.
    For the job search, Flatiron has a lot of excellent written advice on how to prepare for and approach this, and in addition to that, I met with a career coach every week, which was great for staying on track! I have rated this one star less mostly because I am Canadian--Flatiron's advice is still great no matter where you live, but their employee partnerships are exclusively in the US and the UK, so I wasn't able to benefit from any of the opportunities for finding work emailed my way, and wasn't able to take advantage of their money-back guarantee. If you're Canadian, I would consider looking into more local bootcamps. That said, even though it took almost a year of job searching to get an offer, I am absolutely thrilled with the company I'll be starting with in a couple of weeks, and I couldn't have done it without the wonderful people at Flatiron! Also, I cannot overstate the benefit for me of being able to do a course part time instead of full-time--this was one of the main reasons I picked Flatiron as a bootcamp over more local offerings, and the pace was excellent. Challenging without being gruelling, and I was able to work part time through the program as well.
  • Wendy Raven McNair  User Photo
    Wendy Raven McNair • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Flatiron is an intensive rigorous program that requires your preparation (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Ruby, GitHub) and dedication. The Software Engineering program consisted of 5 Modules in which you built a project at the end of each module. Instructors are incredibly knowledgeable. They support you but they also push you to learn how to go out and find the answers on your own.
  • Get to work!
    - 3/18/2021
    JUSTIN DAVIES  User Photo
    JUSTIN DAVIES • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    In my experience the curriculum was excellent. The labs and help chat were awesome! You can talk to your instructor about curriculum you aren’t undeterstanding annnd the hard working team in the help chat(I forgot their title). The projects were my favorite part of the curriculum. But, the community is what got me through. I went in with minimal knowledge of html and css. I graduated with 5 projects completed. My projects were impressive to me but there were projects that made my jaw drop. It’s amazing what we can create once we learn. I recommend FlatIron if you are serious about making a career change. When I say serious, you have to understand that the hardest part is getting a job after you graduate. It could take a really long time before you find your first job. BUT, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. I put in the work and I am a better man for it.
  • Dana Jackson  User Photo
    Dana Jackson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the 15 week intensive full time software engineering bootcamp at Flatiron. I was part of the Seattle cohort, but because of Covid-19 the program was conducted entirely online. I thought that would be a drawback but it ended up being great. With no commuting I had more time to dedicate to coding and I was able to fit in a few more to-do's each day, like going for a run or getting an errand done. This program is an amazing way to learn a new skill very quickly. The structure of the program is excellent, and allows for self motivated learning but also provides a lot of much needed direction. I came from the performing arts so I was afraid I would be a fish out of water, but I had no trouble jumping right into the new material. My instructors were truly top tier educators, and really cared about my success. I cant say enough positive things about my experience at Flatiron. I feel it gave me the boost I needed to change my life and launch into a new career with confidence and momentum.
  • Great community
    - 3/15/2021
    Chi Nguyen  User Photo
    Chi Nguyen • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Great experience here. Flatiron has great staff and great instructors who always motivate students and care about students' feelings. Especially, I highly appreciate Flatiron materials. Very clear and persistent.
  • Unresponsive
    - 3/11/2021
    Eunice Park  User Photo
    Eunice Park • Verified via LinkedIn
    I submitted an application on 3/1/21 and was contacted the next day by Maryssa Medley to schedule an interview. I wanted to review their free "Hacking 101 course" before scheduling my interview even though it's not required. I scheduled my interview two days later and was not able to get a slot until 3/16. I had already received an offer of admissions to another bootcamp and they needed my acceptance/enrollment by 3/12, so I emailed Maryssa to see if I could get in earlier perhaps with another admissions officer and received an automated response that she was not in until the 10th and had limited access to emails. In her automated email, she refers urgent matters to her colleague, Michael Krashes. I emailed him and cc'd Maryssa, explaining my dilemma again and emphasizing that Flatiron was my first choice of bootcamps. I received no response from either by the next day. So on the 5th, I called the general admissions line and left a voicemail since apparently no one is in due to covid. I also sent an email to the admissions office, as was suggested in their outgoing voicemail recording. By the 10th, which is also when Maryssa was due back in the office, I still had not heard from ANYONE. That evening, Fullstack had a seminar with a panel of their alumni. One of the questions I asked is if any of them had considered any other bootcamps and why they chose to enroll at Fullstack. Two of them had looked at Flatiron's curriculum and decided that their program was not inclusive enough to set them up for a successful career in cybersecurity. One also commented that they did no seem to have the infrastructure to accommodate a virtual learning program. That's a nice way of putting it! They flat out ignored me even knowing that I really wanted to enroll and I reached out to four different people!! Today as I'm writing this on 3/11, I still have not heard from ANYONE, even though I canceled my original interview stating my reasons. If they are this unresponsive during the application process, I can't imagine what the experience would be like during the program itself and when looking for a job, especially for someone like me who is a novice and is putting faith into an institution like this bootcamp to guide me through the work to successfully start a career in a completely different industry from where I'm coming from. My cohort with Fullstack starts tomorrow. I will definitely add a review for that bootcamp once I've completed it. I feel REALLY good about the people there. Every question I've had along the way has been promptly answered and, on some occasions, by multiple people reaching out to me.
  • Av  User Photo
    Av • Data Associate • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Flatiron School's Online Data Science Immersive was a fast-paced, rigorous and exciting experience throughout which I felt supported by my instructors, cohort, and career coach. I had completed undergraduate and graduate level calc + statistics coursework prior to starting the program, which absolutely helped to make the pace more manageable throughout the math-heavy modules. I would recommend this program to other graduates who are looking to expand their knowledge of coding and data science methods, and who would benefit from having structure and community throughout their learning journey. If you're willing to put the required work in, you'll leave with a project portfolio, a data science blog, and the skills to continuing building upon your work after you leave Flatiron.
  • Kelsey Shiba  User Photo
    Kelsey Shiba • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I don't think I can recommend this program enough. I am in awe on how they delivered exactly what they laid out. My teacher was absolutely incredible. She always went above-and-beyond the call of duty, and she was an expert in debugging and resolving issues even related to our individual computers. She was an excellent teacher, and laid out concepts ideas in a clear, easy to understand way. I love the interface that was created along with the many levels and different ways to support yourself. I learned so much from the peer programming, and although we were online, it was easy to figure out who you could connect with and learn from that way. I also love that we were later split into pods with others that learned similarly, so we could conquer new concepts together each week. I always felt like I was with people who were smarter than I was, and learned exponentially more because of it. I also love that the "Ask A Question" feature was open really early and really late. It was nice to have structure, although we were allowed to be a little bit behind in lessons and a little bit ahead as fit our individual scheduling needs. If I missed a lecture I could go back and review the recording on my own time. I have a young child and I was able to serve my family while I went to school. I learned a ton from the technicians available online as well. I also was so proud of each project I created, because I learned a lot while being forced to figure things out on my own. There was a wealth of online videos to watch to help support the ideas, lessons to pass, and although each project review with a different instructor was a bit nerve wracking, it was the closest thing to an interview at each step of the process.

The support I received while at school was also admirable. I took advantage of the Educational Coach while I was at school, which was a huge part of my success. He helped me process through stress and helped me focus on goals, while providing practical solutions to better myself and my overall disposition so I could survive. I was blown away that I had this resource available to me during this time.

After I graduated, I also received an amazing amount of support. My Career Coach challenged me and asked difficult questions to help me identify my negative patterns, and walked me through step-by-step instructions on how to improve my connections on Linked In and get my applications noticed. His approaches and techniques were practical, useful and 100% successful. He was extremely helpful in getting a job and improving my gratitude for opportunities in my life.

Flatiron School has embraced the future of education in a way that has completely changed my life. I cannot speak highly enough about the school and its organization.
  • Lindsay  User Photo
    Lindsay • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As a graduate of the Software Engineering Immersive program at  Flatiron School, I have nothing but great things to say about the school, the program, and the Chicago Campus specifically. The program is a rigorous course designed for absolute beginners to launch a career in tech. I previously studied opera performance and hold a Bachelor of Arts in Music and Master of Music in Voice. I had completed no previous engineering or computer science coursework prior to my studies at Flatiron. They truly are there to support you every step of the way for this career change.

First of all, they have a free bootcamp prep course which is designed to give you fundamental skills in Ruby, JavaScript, and programming logic in general. They have technical coaches available to answer any questions you may have during this free course. If you decide that you enjoy programming and want to apply, you will have a few different interviews before you are admitted into the program. There are numerous options for financing your education. Once you are admitted and have all of the logistics taken care of, you will be assigned pre-work prior to the course. You will have opportunities to meet your instructors, coaches, and fellow cohort mates in the pre-work office hours sessions leading up to the first day of the bootcamp.

While a student in the bootcamp, you will have 5 different learning phases. After each phase, you will have a coding assessment, a blog, and a group or solo project. Throughout the entire duration of the program, you will have instructors and coaches available to answer any questions you may have, and to help guide and mentor you through the challenges of the day.

You will have many opportunities for pair programming with fellow students. You will have the opportunity to attend numerous community events, where you can hear from recent graduates about their experiences with finding a job in the industry. You will have the opportunity to learn from students in other cohorts, and community events geared towards building connections across campus. After every phase, you will complete a survey where you can give your honest feedback about how to improve the curriculum and overall experience. The campus team truly goes through all the feedback and actively seeks to improve the experience for all students. It is a very inclusive and safe environment, and Flatiron takes pride in their company values.

As a graduate, you are placed in the hands of the career services team, where you will have a dedicated career coach to help you reach your job search goals and get you your first software engineering job. You will also have a separate section of the curriculum dedicated to polishing your resume, job search etiquette, and technical and behavioral interview questions. I can confidently say that Flatiron School is well worth every penny, and I would recommend them wholeheartedly to anyone hoping to make a transition into a career in tech.

• Mariamol James  User Photo
    Mariamol James • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Attending bootcamp gave me guidance and direction when I was trying to resume my career after a gap. Flatiron has great instructors and their lectures were awesome. Coding challenges and projects helped reinforce the concepts. Career services supported in building resume and tackling interviews. Within 90 days after starting job search , I could land a job as Software Development Engineer II Intern at Audible. i would highly recommend Flatiron to aspiring software engineers.

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here