hackbright-academy-logo

Hackbright Academy

San Francisco

Hackbright Academy

Hackbright Academy is a software engineering school for gender equality in San Francisco, Dallas, and Lehi founded in 2012. In addition to in-person classrooms in the US, Hackbright Academy also offers their courses online. The school offers a 12-week, immersive full-time software engineering program and a 43-week, part-time program, both of which cover the fundamentals of computer science and modern web development such as the command line, Python, JavaScript, HTML & CSS, Git, Flask, Django, pair programming, SQL/ORMS/NoSQL, and deployment. The part-time program covers the same content as the immersive program, but is designed for students who want to maintain their jobs. Hackbright also offers a 4-week part-time prep course, which teaches the foundations of programming; and a week-long immersive prep course.

Prospective applicants will need to fill out an online application detailing their interests and personality, then complete a coding challenge and two interviews. Hackbright's ideal candidate has a desire to learn software development and has prior exposure to programming.

Hackbright Academy provides students with mentorship, tech talks, and career services. After graduation, Hackbright Academy connects graduates with Silicon Valley companies looking to expand their engineering teams as alumnae work at companies like Amazon, Facebook, and Slack. Hackbright Academy offers deferred tuition, limited scholarships, and payment plans for qualified students.

Recent Hackbright Academy Reviews: Rating 4.5

all (97) reviews for Hackbright Academy →

Recent Hackbright Academy News

Read all (81) articles about Hackbright Academy →
  • Full-Time (12-week) Software Engineering Program

LocationSan Francisco
    Hackbright offers a full-time, 12-week Software Engineering Program that empowers women to become software engineers in 12 weeks. The immersive program is an intensive Monday through Friday course with classes from 10 am to 6 pm. Core instruction includes the fundamentals of computer science and modern web development such as the command line, Python, JavaScript, HTML & CSS, Git, Flask, Django, pair programming, SQL/ORMS/NOSQL, deployment and more! Students will enjoy a host of other benefits including mentorship, tech talks and career services. After graduation, Hackbright Academy connects graduates with Silicon Valley companies looking to expand their engineering teams. Graduates who accept a full-time job from one of the companies in the Hackbright network will be refunded a portion of their tuition. Payment plans are also available. Hackbright's ideal candidate has an inspired desire to learn software development and has prior exposure to programming.
    Deposit$250 Non-Refundable
    Deferred tuition, and lending via SkillsFund and Climb.

Graduates of the Prep course are eligible for a discount.
    Tuition PlansHackbright Academy offers a deferred tuition program to select, eligible students. If eligible, that means no tuition payments until you are hired. Click here: http://hba.io/2ADhSeP
    ScholarshipWe have four scholarships available from our partners who are committed to changing the gender ratio in tech. Learn more: http://hba.io/2zahyUp
    Minimum Skill LevelKnowledge of the following areas (in any programming language) and ability to demonstrate in a technical interview: Basic datatypes (strings, integers, booleans) and variables, conditional logic, looping, lists or arrays, and basic functions.
    Prep WorkNone, but there is a Prep Course available in order to obtain training to pass the technical interview.
  • Hackbright Prep Course

Python
    LocationSan Francisco
    This is a 4-week part-time night course will teach you the basic fundamentals of programming. You will leave with a foundation in Python and be introduced to HTML, CSS, and Flask. The course is geared to those who are planning to apply to a bootcamp or considering shifting their careers.
    We are partnered with lending partners SkillsFund and Climb. Please email finance@hackbrightacademy.com if you have questions.
    ScholarshipWWC and Hackbright Academy are offering a full scholarship to Hackbright Prep.
  • Part-Time (24-week) Software Engineering Program

Python, CSS, Django, Git, HTML, JavaScript, SQL, Algorithms, Data Structures, GitHub
    LocationSan Francisco
    The part-time software development program is stimulating, exciting and fulfilling. Our challenging curriculum is based on 5 years of training students, providing tangible feedback, and helping each individual improve throughout the learning process. Students can partake in Hackbright's life-changing Software Engineering Program while working. The Part-Time Software Engineering Program will teach you the fundamentals of computer science in addition to modern web development. This part-time program includes labs and lectures on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, plus Saturdays. One of the most in-demand languages to learn in the industry is Python – the core language of our curriculum. Companies that use Python include Google, Yelp, and Dropbox to name a few. Mastering Python here will help you start thinking like an engineer. You can feel confident that you’ll walk out of the door ready to tackle any engineering role.
    Deposit250 Non- Refundable
    We understand that your education can be a big investment and that’s why we’ve partnered with leading lending partners like SkillsFund to provide you affordable payment alternatives. Check out the options below and please feel free to email finance@hackbrightacademy.com if you have questions! Click here to learn more.
    Tuition PlansNo
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    ScholarshipNo
    Minimum Skill Level40 hours of coding practice
    Prep Work5-10 hours remote work per week for the 3 weeks leading up to the start of course
  • Jessica  Matthews  User Photo
    Jessica Matthews • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Amazing experience!  I've tried learning to code on my own with online tutorials and always got stuck.  It turns out pair programming-working with a partner on progressively harder problems was the key to accelerating my learning and keeping me motivated.  The instructors truly care and went above and beyond to answer questions.  It is difficult and ton of time, but if you are willing to put in the work this course can get you there.
  • Henry Hsu  User Photo
    Henry Hsu • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I'm writing this review as someone that has been through multiple programs.  (Dev Bootcamp (3 months), then Holberton School (1-2 years), finally here at HackBright (3 months)).  Although I enjoyed my time with each school and each was great in different ways, the sense of camaraderie and support (both educational and personal) that I experienced here felt greatly amplified compared to my previous experiences.

In terms of the course material, I'm comparing this with other 3 months programs; but the fact that fundamental skills such as data structure & algorithms, big O and whiteboarding (for interviews) are taught place it ahead of other schools that just teach you how to make web apps and that's it.   The only area that I felt that could use improvements was to possibly add in at least 1 or 2 group projects (there are frequent partnered assignments, but those are usually 1 day and with only 1 other person.)  Having gone through group projects with more people for extended days, those opportunities allowed us to practice project management skills and gave a feel for what it's like working in an actual team, plus it resulted in multiple projects to put on our resume.

The emphasis on building espirit de corps through weekly socials and checkins also resulted in a tighter knit group socially.  I feel much more connected to and supported by my cohort-mates as a group than I did in my previous experiences.

Lastly, I was lucky enough to be in a sponsored cohort (walmart).  So for us, the job outcome was amazing.  I've been struggling to get my foot in the door for years now (maybe age is a factor? I was close to ~40 when I completed the other programs) but this was the school that actually helped me get my first engineering job.  Hackbright changed my life, thank you! <3

• Gabrielle  User Photo
    Gabrielle • Shopify Intern • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hackbright is an amazing academy that takes you from writing some of your first lines of code to building out apps and learning in-demand technologies. Becoming a student was an amazing decision and I was taught not only how to code but how to continue my education on my own. I love the ability to come back, audit classes, join seminars, and job fairs, and forever be a part of this wonderful and welcoming community. Every teacher was patient, informative, and determined to help students to reach deeper levels of understanding. I loved the homework, labs, and pair programming that led to me landing an intern position that already triples any salary I've ever made. With hard work and effort on my part and guidance from Hackbright, my life has forever changed for the better.
  • Sam M  User Photo
    Sam M • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Some background info on me that could be important:
    I'm a professional with 5+ years of experience but not in software engineering. I had wanted to go into software engineering for 2+ years (went to meetups, applied to other bootcamps, tried some self-learning). I did not have the internal structure, dedication, patience, nor time to self/community-learn.

With that information, here's my review:

I went through the 12-week full-stack remote software engineering program. Hackbright is amazing, and they changed my life.

Interview process:
    I interviewed once in Javascript, and it was a good challenge. Other classmates may have had to interview more times. (So there are standards for being admitted, if you are worried about that). I don't think I would have passed the interview if I hadn't had practice interviewing beforehand.

Structure:
    Hackbright runs a tight ship and packs in time for learning, practice, career coaching, projects, and more. They stick to the schedule as much as possible. They provide structured time for breaks and treat you like human beings, not robots.

Hackbright's curriculum/tech stack is good.

* Languages & tools: Python, Flask, Javascript, Postgres, SQLAlchemy, SQL, React, HTML, CSS, etc.
    * Computer science fundamentals: Data structures, algorithms, boolean logic, system architecture (one lecture)

The curriculum was key in attracting me to the bootcamp - you can see it on their website. It is designed provide foundations. They strike an excellent balance between teaching a range of people with different experiences and not being condescending while doing so (can be very hard to do in tech).

They also keep the curriculum updated: We were one of the first cohorts that was not taught jQuery.

Projects:
    This was by far the best part of the program from the point of view of synthesizing learning, practice, and real-world applications.

You will come out of this bootcamp having developed a full-stack web application that is demonstrated to employers at a Demo Night.

Career outcomes/coaching:
    Hackbright's career outcomes lectures are comprehensive and empowering. They cover everything from networking to salary negotiation for all areas of expertise.

Support:
    There is excellent, enthusiastic support throughout the program from advisors, instructors, and peers through a Discord channel. Questions are welcomed and frequently prompted/encouraged.

You should have access to materials after the bootcamp to maintain coding proficiency and review.

Overall:

Hackbright is a safe, welcoming, nurturing place that aims to bridge the gender gap in tech. I think they are succeeding in this.

I am graduating as a  junior software engineer exposed to key computer science and modern web dev foundations that has developed and deployed a full-stack web application. There are bootcamps who advertise that you can graduate as a mid-level or senior-level dev. I personally think that is only possible with prior software and technical experience, but that's just me and how I approached things.

As usual, Hackbright may not be the right choice for everyone based on life experience, coding experience, current situations, and more. What I know is that Hackbright was the right choice for me; it felt like I was coming home.

Also, as with all experiences, it is what you make of it.

Thank you, team <3. You gave me the confidence I needed to make my way as a software engineer.

• alum
    - 1/15/2022
    Mary Smith  User Photo
    Mary Smith • Chief Operations Officer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Hackbright is a quality, full-stack software engineering bootcamp exclusively for women. The curriculum is clear, comprehensive, and well organized. The instructors are excellent! They have actual work history in the tech industry and strive to teach you the things that will most likely help you to succeed in the industry. In my experience, the instructors go above and beyond to help. Several have spent time after classroom hours to help me out. This was not something I expected from them, but it shows how dedicated to their students they are. By graduation, you have created a fully operational app, and you understand all the workings of it, so you can develop more apps on your own. Hackbright provides TONS of support to help you get connected with the tech community to find a job. Even before graduation, I had recruiters from well-respected companies contacting me. I wholeheartedly recommend Hackbright Academy!
  • hackbright alumn
    - 11/30/2021
    Sharon  User Photo
    Sharon • Software engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Great curriculum, amazing instructors who go above and beyond to provide help and clarification, and amazing career counselors who went out of their way to guide me through communicating with recruiters, negotiating salary, and getting my first job
  • Excellent value
    - 10/2/2021
    Tina Haiser  User Photo
    Tina Haiser • Apprentice Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hackbright delivered on their promise. 3 months of education. Continued job search support. Three months later I landed the Twitter apprenticeship. As 3-month programs go, it is really tops. I couldn't ask for a more caring, supportive environment to help me get through the rigorous curriculum they provide. It was a terrifying amount of material and they got us through it while honoring our feelings about how truly difficult it was. I have had a lot of education in my life, but I have never seen the kind of concern for my success that the instructors and job coaches at Hackbright provided. I will never forget this experience as long as I live. I am a proud Hackbright graduate.
  • whitney zilton  User Photo
    whitney zilton • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I really loved my time at Hackbright Academy. Before applying, I had looked into local bootcamps in the Minneapolis area but none of them seemed like a good fit for me. When I learned Hackbright was having a cohort in Minnesota I applied immediately! I remember reading all of the glowing reviews on course report and other sites and thinking it was too good to be true. I spent a good deal of the program thinking it was too good to be true. As a new grad, I still am looking back thinking it was too good to be true. But it is true!

Here's 3 reasons why I enjoyed the program:
    --My instructor and TA were awesome. The first week of class, my instructor made it clear Hackbright wants its students to have a healthy work-life balance. All of the horror stories you've read about bootcamps that require their students to have 60+ hour work weeks don't apply here. I know a few folks that went to bootcamps where they felt like they taught themselves more than instructors. I didn't have that experience at Hackbright either. I regularly went to the gym, attended community events, and overall had a life outside of the program. I didn't need to do a ton of googling to complete assignments because the lectures contained most of the information I needed to have a good grasp of the material.

--During the first half of the program, Hackbright has a schedule with morning lecture, morning lab and an afternoon lecture followed by an afternoon lab. All of the labs practiced pair programming. It was challenging working with different personalities (some people are shy while others are more assertive). Pair programming taught me a lot about how to use "tech speak" and I'm excited to use these skills in my first job.

--I had two mentors who taught me a lot about what its like to be a women in the tech industry. I hadn't had a professional mentor before and really appreciate how much care they showed me. Some people in my cohort used their mentors for practice with whiteboarding interviews, others asked their mentors for advice with their final projects. If you get into Hackbright and commit to the fullstack program, I encourage you to use your mentors as a resource! They are there to help you succeed!

I wish we could have covered testing and deployment a little bit more, but we did have lectures (and labs) on the topics and the course is only 12 weeks. I know I have enough knowledge to dig into these topics on my own post Hackbright.
  • Kristin  User Photo
    Kristin • Jr Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I chose this bootcamp because of the comfortable atmostphere and focus on work-life balance, which other bootcamps seem to lack. I had gone through the prep program and knew the quality of instructor and the environment.

I found the curriculum to be very well thought-out and organized. My software-engineering friends were often surprised and impressed by the topics covered - "Wow, you're learning that?!". During my very first onsite interview a CEO of a tech company was looking through my capstone project and expressed his shock that I was able to learn the concepts to complete such a robust project, and complete the project itself, within such a short time span. The curriculum itself is constantly being updated and refined based on what is going on out in the field and feedback, but the great thing is that all the old lectures are available as a resource, even as an alum. I used some of these as extra resources while completing my project and while preparing for interviews.

The lecture followed by lab format was invaluable in cementing the concepts covered, and the pair-programming in labs helped us to get comfortable talking in 'tech-speak', a valuable skill for interviewing. Not to mention helping each other over stumbling blocks! I loved the back half of the program which focused more on building our projects. We would have a comp science lecture in the morning followed by open project time. The instructors were available for help during that period and were always patient and knowledgeable. I learned a great deal during this period as it was almost like having a one-on-one tutor. And when the projects were done we had the opportunity to present in front of several companies, which was excellent practice as well as an invaluable networking opportunity.

The career support was also incredible and well-balanced. There was a career lecture once a week focusing on a new topic throughout the entire program. These included small weekly assignments (such as practicing our stories, revising our resumes, how to research companies, and updating our LinkedIn profile) to prepare us for the job hunt in a calm and methodical manner. We had two one-on-one strategy sessions with the career services staff during the program and one after graduation to figure out what types of companies might suit us best and to help us strategize how to find a job. The last two weeks were almost entirely focused on the career journey. Lectures focused on different aspects of the interview process, fieldtrips were organized to practice whiteboarding with engineers in the 'real' world and gain exposure to different environments, we even got a practice take-home coding challenge which was then reviewed with tips and tricks on tackling these problems (which severely reduced my anxiety about them), and we learned tips for applying to positions.

Perhaps the coolest thing was the mentor program. All of us were assigned two mentors. Our mentors were able to help us with our projects, provide career advice, and be there for anything we needed. I found it helpful to talk with mine about their 'real-world' experiences in software engineering, particularly when it came to things to consider while designing a webapp. Most mentors are willing to continue the relationship beyond the program end too!

I'm so glad I chose Hackbright as my bootcamp. It was an amazing, supportive environment, my cohort-mates are amazing people I am proud to call my friends, and the quality of education is top-notch.

I wish we'd gotten to dive deeper into some of the topics and covered some others, but at the end of the day it's a 12-week bootcamp, not a 4 year comp science degree! I would not hesitate to recommend this program to anyone considering a bootcamp.

• The Best
    - 10/7/2019
    Kaz Shidara  User Photo
    Kaz Shidara • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

From the application process, to being accepted, to graduating, I have absolutely no complaints or crticisms. Hackbright offers support in every dimension and the curriculum is geared towards success. I felt comfortable asking questions everyday, the staff was unbelievably open/accepting, and we worked with relevant technologies that prepared us immensely for any industry. Highly suggest for anyone that wants to jumpstart their career in software engineering!

• Part-Time Program
    - 10/5/2019
    Elizabeth  User Photo
    Elizabeth • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I took the part time program while I was working. The classes are Tuesday and Thursday 6-9pm and Saturday 10-6pm. We pair programmed for the first half of the class and the second half we worked on building a full stack program. Python, JS, Flask, Bootstrap, jquery, PostgreSQL and SQL are some of the things we learned during the course. Lectures are given at the beginning of the course and labs exercises are given after to practice what we learned. There are also career lectures, field trips to companies and endless amout of support from the staff and classmates, not to mention we get assigned two mentors!

• Lisa Leniashina  User Photo
    Lisa Leniashina • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

You can do impossible when you have passion and are supported by a great learning environment.

Hackbright helped me to make my dream come true.

After 12 years in Technical Recruiting and hiring hundreds of software engineers I decided to give myself a chance to become a software engineer myself. When I was looking for a software engineering bootcamp, I was super picky as I wanted to choose the best one and I ended up with Hackbright. They met all my requirements:

1. Curriculum.  - during the course, we covered most critical skills and tools required to be a software engineer, including version control, the Linux command line, relational databases, web frameworks, AJAX/JQuery, and front-end frameworks. We also covered broader essential software engineering topics like debugging, pair programming, code reviews, core computer science concepts (including runtime analysis, recursion, and advanced data structures, such as linked lists, graphs, and trees), and technical whiteboarding.

2. Practical skills - each student was working on her project. Each of us built her web-application from scratch. By doing that we went through each step of Product Life-Cycle Development - DB design, back-end, front-end, implementation, debugging, testing, UX-design. During the project time, our instructors used Agile software development approach - we had two sprints, MVP and daily scrums.

3. Learning environment - supportive, encouraging, motivational and has a lot of fun! Our instructors created an open and collaborative environment. Sometimes I didn't feel I am on a lecture; it was more like a team discussion. New topics were clearly explained and questions were patiently answered.

4. Success stories -  I carefully reviewed the Hackbright job report. I was impressed by the program completion rate  ( 99%) and average time to land the first job after the program. Last two weeks of the program are focused on job search techniques and tools. Hackbright also gave us a great tool of how to live after Hackbright :) (sounds funny, but so relevant) - how to organize your daily routine to keep learning, practicing and job searching. For me, it took two months to land a software engineer job.

It was challenging and fun, and a piece of my heart will always stay with this fantastic school.  I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a way to become a software engineer.