Happy fall, everyone! As we begin to look towards the end of the year, we saw more speculation on how the Pell Grant for short-term programs bill could pass in the U.S. There was also plenty of discussion about how regulators are shaping Income Share Agreements and Online Program Managers. A huge new tech apprenticeship initiative broke ground in the U.S., and we’ll dive into a think piece about the future of women in tech initiatives. Plus, we tell you all about the 10 new coding bootcamps that we added to the Course Report directory this September!
Curious about what happened in August? Check out last month’s episode to hear our August coding bootcamp news roundup!
THE LATEST ON: OPMs, ISAs, & SHORT-TERM PELL GRANTS
Higher Ed Dive reports that Zovio is taking steps to dissolve and expects to sell Fullstack Academy for between $40-55 million.
Higher Ed Dive says the Pell Grants for short-term programs bill could be picked up by a new, larger act or it could also be attached to a defense or appropriations bill, which are agreed upon annually.
- Daniel Mollenkamp posited in EdSurge that we may see public universities start to take back some control of their online programs from OPMs.
- Natalie Schwartz from Higher Ed Dive predicts that there may be a culling of the OPM herd due to regulatory changes and increased pressure around revenue-sharing agreements.
- According to Higher Ed Dive, income-share agreement provider Better Future Forward has reached a final compliance plan with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and updated the disclosures it will make to students who enter ISAs to help pay for college (which could trickle down to bootcamp ISAs in the future).
TIME Magazine published a recap of the recent issues (and lawsuits) concerning ISAs offered by digital skills bootcamps like Flockjay, Clever Programmer, Prehired, and Bloom Tech (formerly Lambda School).
THE IMPORTANCE OF APPRENTICESHIPS & MENTORSHIP
- The Biden-Harris administration announced the Apprenticeship Ambassador Initiative, a national network of more than 200 employers and industry organizations, labor organizations, educators, workforce intermediaries, and community-based organizations who are committed to strengthening and diversifying Registered Apprenticeship.
Business Observer reported on the mentorship program between S-One Holdings Inc. and the coding bootcamp at the State College of Florida in Bradenton (powered by Flatiron School).
USA Today highlighted the career change journeys of two Tech Elevator graduates who both received a Represent Tech scholarship.
- Lighthouse Labs released its 2022 Career Trajectory Report, which illustrates how Lighthouse Labs grads from 2014 to 2021 have actually done in their careers.
- Lindsey Wilkinson wrote in HR Dive that companies are looking beyond academic credentials and are now taking more interest in IT certifications.
THE FUTURE OF WOMEN IN TECH INITIATIVES
- Jacob Mathinson for Rolling Stone focused on whether there is enough diversity in women in tech initiatives, since these initiatives could expand their focus to include non-binary and trans folks to increase diversity in tech.
- Fresh Start Women announced that they received a $500,000+ grant as part of the Women in Apprenticeship and Nontraditional Occupations (WANTO) grant. They say they will use this grant to help at-risk women train for non-traditional occupations to become self-sufficient.
ZDNet highlighted the non-profit coding bootcamp, Reskill Americans, which provides tuition-free, online tech training to those underrepresented in tech. Reskill Americans launches its second cohort this October!
5 NEW BOOTCAMPS, 2 NEW COURSES, & 1 EXPANDED CAMPUS
Simplilearn announced a partnership with Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota to offer a cloud computing bootcamp.
Metis has partnered with Florida International University to offer a data science bootcamp.
Upright Education has partnered with Holyoke Community College and Springfield Technical Community College to offer full-time and part-time bootcamps.
- According to Prolific North, UK-based bootcamp Northcoders announced they will now be offering a data engineering bootcamp.
Business Live reports that nonprofit coding bootcamp, FinTech Wales launched this month to help Welsh career changers.
- Perficient and Hackbright Academy/Devmountain are bringing their Bright Paths program to Dallas! It’s set to launch October 31st.
- According to Tulsa World, Holberton School announced it’s enlarging its campus in downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma with a $5 million expansion.
10 NEW SCHOOLS ADDED TO COURSE REPORT
OUR FAVORITE PIECES ON THE BLOG
Jess felt lucky to speak with Code Fellows grad Bill. Bill had previously struggled with homelessness and addiction, and when the pandemic took away a career working in theater, he wasn’t sure what would happen next. Through Washington State’s Training Benefits program, Bill was able to get his Code Fellows tuition covered, which allowed him to really focus on his studies and find a job as an Information Security Associate at a cybersecurity consultancy.
Liz loved working on the recap post capturing our “How to Get Into 5 Coding Bootcamps” Live Q&A, where admissions representatives from General Assembly, Tech Elevator, Flatiron School, Devmountain, and Springboard joined to give us the inside scoop on their application processes. The live Q&A was recorded and that video is included in the blog post along with takeaways and a worksheet that compares prep programs, age maximums/minimums, degree requirements, and so much more!