devmountain-logo

Devmountain

Dallas, Lehi, Online

Devmountain

Devmountain is a technology school that offers full-time and part-time programs at campuses in Lehi, Dallas, and Phoenix. The immersive courses include Web Development, Java Software Engineering, Python Software Engineering, Data Analytics, Software Quality Assurance (QA), iOS App Development, and User Experience (UX) Design. The Web track covers front-end and back-end JavaScript (HTML/CSS, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express, data sources like SQL, Mongo, Firebase). The iOS track covers mobile development in Swift. The UI/UX course covers prototyping, visual/motion design, sketch, adobe suite, UX research, wireframing, and analytical tools. Devmountain instructors are all coding industry professionals and aim to bring real-world applications into the classroom. The immersive courses require 40 to 60 hours of pre-course work, 40 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The part-time programs require 30 to 40 hours of pre-course work, 11 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The school was started in 2013 in Provo, Utah.

The first step to applying for Devmountain bootcamp is to check out the courses and start dates. Once the student has picked a course, they must submit an online application. Next, students speak with a member of the admissions team by phone to further discuss the program. After the phone call, students must complete a challenge to test their knowledge of the course subject matter. Finally, the admissions team will notify students if they qualify for acceptance. Devmountain recommends that students have some exposure to coding before applying.

Recent Devmountain Reviews: Rating 4.6

all (325) reviews for Devmountain →

Recent Devmountain News

Read all (49) articles about Devmountain →
  • Coding Basics

JavaScript, HTML, CSS
    Start Date April 19, 2021
    Learn the fundamental building blocks of web development: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript by creating your own website.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo Coding Experience
    Prep WorkNone
    April 19, 2021 - Online Apply by April 16, 2021
  • Data Analytics

Learn how to collect and use data to tell stories in clear and meaningful ways for personal, professional, and business goals.
  • iOS Development Full-Time

LocationOnline, Lehi
    Want to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) apps? There is no better place to learn. You'll start building apps on Day 1 of the class, and by the end you'll have at least one app in the App Store (possibly even making you money). Classes are rigorous, and previous programming experience is definitely preferred, but if you're up to the challenge, you can become a great iOS developer with a start in this course.
    Minimum Skill LevelProgramming experience preferred, beginners welcome
    Prep WorkOnce accepted, students must complete pre-course work before first day of class.
  • Java Software Engineering

Algorithms, CSS, Git, GitHub, HTML, Java, JavaScript, SQL
    The 16-week Java Software Engineering course is designed to teach you how to use the programming language Java as well as other languages to become a software engineer.
  • Python Software Engineering

Algorithms, CSS, Git, GitHub, HTML, JavaScript, Python, SQL
    The 16-week Software Engineering Python course is designed to teach you how to use the programming language Python as well as other languages to become a software engineer.
  • Software QA Testing Full-Time

Quality Assurance Testing, AngularJS, Git
    OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationOnline, Lehi
    Our 6-week immersive software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
  • Software Testing QA Part-Time

OnlinePart Time
    LocationOnline, Lehi
    Our software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
  • UI/UX Design After Hours

LocationOnline, Lehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into UX without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • UX Design Full-Time

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationOnline, Lehi
    If you're a designer, product person, developer, or simply interested in taking a dive into UX (user experience), this class is for you. Our "Immersive" full-time UI/UX course makes the most of class time because we focus on less theory and more hands-on practice. You're probably already doing some UX whether you know it or not and this course will help you give structure to your innate thoughts through industry know how and structured design processes. The design course at DevMountain is multi-faceted, covering all aspects of the design process from start to finish. While covering both mobile and web design principles students will practice creative discovery, ideation, critical thinking, research collection, wireframing / prototyping, basic front-end coding and more design best practices. The class will teach students to understand and meet modern web and mobile design standards in the product creation process, from first pondering user centered design and design thinking principles to testing their products on multiple devices and measuring the effectiveness of their designs. Students will also learn design principles such as grid systems, typography, color theory, branding and systems-based design, design history and research methods. By the end of the 13-week course, the new designers will graduate with a well-rounded portfolio of work that shows everything they have learned and can achieve in the workplace. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset. The course will prepare students to step into a variety of design roles: web designer, mobile designer, UX designer, UI designer, front-end designer, freelance designer, and more.
    Prep WorkYes.
  • Web Development After Hours

LocationOnline, Lehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into code without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in coding, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • Web Development Full-Time

LocationOnline, Lehi, Dallas
    The full-time class is the best immersive coding experience you can find. It's a world-class coding education. It's also a grind--8 or 10 or 12 hour days of instruction, 1:1 mentoring, and work. You'll live, eat, sleep, and breathe code for 12 weeks. And when you're done, you'll be a different person. This class is great for those who are serious about learning to code. If you want to code as a career, this is the place to do it. There's no better place in the country for this price to get nearly two years worth of world-class education.
  • Brandon Hunsaker  User Photo
    Brandon Hunsaker • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This course was amazing!  Before doing DevMountain, I had tried several programming classes and struggled greatly in all of them.  DevMountain was exactly what I needed to gain the confidence and skill to become a software developer.  The first 8 weeks is the foundations course where you learn the basic fundamentals of programming and I received so much individualized and group help that I finally started to understand how programming worked.  The second 8 weeks where I learned Java specifically was much more independent learning style but I still had plenty of support from a tutor, mentor, and also guidance counselor who all helped me to be able to pace myself and complete a full stack app where I used Javascript in the front end and Java in the back end.  The people at DevMountain really care about you and your interests and have the know how to help you succeed.  I had such a great experience that I am going to enroll in their IOS development program later this summer!
  • Great bootcamp
    - 3/4/2022
    Dmitrii Kim  User Photo
    Dmitrii Kim • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I want to tell you about my experience of studying at Devmountain. After a long search, my choice fell on Devmountain. I was happy with the price and read the reviews. Now I will definitely say that this is a very good start for programming. The first two months of the Foundation. At first I was a little frustrated because I thought that all four months would be devoted to learning iOS programming, but later I realized how useful it is to know web programming too! Using the example of web programming, we studied from the basics to how to place a site on the World Wide Web. There are lectures every day and homework every day. Every Friday, a knowledge test on the studied material. The remaining two months are specialization. Yes, most of the time you already spend in independent study of the material, but the material is so well structured and the videos are very thought out to the smallest detail that there are practically no questions. Well, if you have any questions, you can always ask the instructor. I chose iOS programming. The course is excellent, there is a lot of material, it is hard to study, but when you go all the way, you understand how much knowledge was gained during the training. Therefore, I will say this: I will advise everyone to this bootcamp! I want to thank the entire Devmountain team! In my opinion, I got more from training here than I expected. I hope my review will help new students make the right choice!
  • Stephen E.  User Photo
    Stephen E. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had made the decision for a major career change. After a few months of research, I landed on Devmountain. I really liked what they had to offer and loved the fact they had in-person, which most bootcamps didn't offer due to pandemic restrictions. Understandable. I had an interview and a few days after the interview I was accepted! A few days before beginning I got word that I would be transferred to online learning instead (I think there weren't enough in my cohort for in-person? I don't fully remember, but it was something along those lines).

The program itself is split into two portions:

FOUNDATIONS:
    The first portion is called foundations. The curriculum has you dive into all sorts of subjects not just the specific topic you chose (the courses listed they offer) JS, Python, CSS, HTML some light computer science,  UX/UI, algorithms etc. That exposure showed me that I wasn't as interested in Python as I initially thought and chose (for the 2nd half of the program) Web Development. Each week (Mon-Thurs) you'll learn anywhere from 2-3 topics and at the end of that week (Fri) will be given an assessment. A culmination of all that was learned that week. Mornings comprised of standups with our instructor, then live lectures, where you are encouraged to code along (highly recommended). Afternoons were labs where you'd put into practice with your peers, what was learned. During the afternoons you had access to something called a queue where you can ask for assistance on topics. At the end of this half of the program, we create a project and present it to our cohort/instructors.

SPECIALIZATIONS:
    The last portion is called specializations. This is where we continue on the specific tract we chose during foundations. We no longer had live lectures, but instead are given access to a platform called Pluralsight. This website is where we do the remainder of our learning at Devmountain. I admit I am not a fan of learning this way (hence my 3 stars). You are completely in charge of keeping your own schedule and also attending the mid-day standups where you'd report your status updates, concerns, "wins/losses" etc. This part helped me out a ton!! Mid way I was given a SME (subject Matter Expert) and we would have weekly meetings for about an hour, and discuss whatever topics I was struggling with, expanding on what I've learned so far, or sometimes just having an ear to listen and help point me back in the right direction. At the very end we are given a second final project this one more detailed and guidelines more challenging than the one in foundations. This one will be presented live and with various staff from Devmountain.

Throughout the ENTIRE program you will have meetings with people from "outcomes" which help prepare you for after completion and graduation of Devmountain. They will help with job placement, resume writing, LinkedIn, interview prep etc. All of these things can cost you by themselves upwards of $400-500 EACH TIME you use an outside resource, but with Devmountain, it is included and available even well after graduation for all alumni.

I overall enjoyed my time, and the staff there will do what they can to help you succeed, you just have to be willing to do the hard work. No matter your current or past background, you can do it!! If I could go back and do it all over I would, and I would try again for in-person learning.
  • Logan  User Photo
    Logan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    DevMountain was a great experience, and I'm glad I did it.  The first 8 weeks of the foundation were incredible.  You had dedicated instructors who did lectures daily, live code, and daily labs.

The problem I had with DevMountain was in the last eight weeks.   You no longer have dedicated staff who teach you, and instead, you are given a plural sight subscription and a list of videos to watch daily.  Some days the videos were 7 hours long.  Then at around 12:30 every day, there would be a small number of "subject matter experts" that would be available to help us if we had questions.  Some days it would take hours to get help because there wasn't enough SME's for the number of students.

That being said, I would do DevMountain again in a heartbeat.  It was one of the best decisions I've made and I would recommend anyone to do it!

Response From: Emily of Devmountain
    Title: Marketing
    Wednesday, Feb 02 2022
    Thanks for your helpful feedback, Logan. I'm glad you had a great overall experience and the program worked for you. We recently hired more technical support staff and now specialists are available all day during class hours. I'm sorry you had to wait so long while you were here, but hopefully the issue is resolved for future students.

Thanks again for the review.
  • Dustin Gentry  User Photo
    Dustin Gentry • Python Software Dev/Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Taking this course was one of the best decisions I have made in my entire life. The staff is incredible, the course itself is insanely packed with information. I come from a blue collar background and have never done any coding before and now am confident and ready to start a new career after just a few months! If you are even slightly interested, DO IT! You will not regret it.
  • Dave Graves  User Photo
    Dave Graves • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    All my instructors were so helpful and kind and knowledgeable. I recommend these guys all the way.
  • Omri Horowitz  User Photo
    Omri Horowitz • iOS Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Had a great time in the iOS Bootcamp! One of the few programs to offer this course specifically for Swift app development and at an affordable price. The instructors are knowledgable and always ready to help. Glad to be a part of this community.
  • Nolan  User Photo
    Nolan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, the course is great. They really invest their time into you and your success after the course. The program is well designed and the support you receive during and after the course is top-noch. I definitely would recommend this course to anyone looking to get into software development.
    - 12/10/2020
    Laura  User Photo
    Laura • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I'm so glad I enrolled in the Devmountains iOS development course! I came in with some experience and needed to up my game so I could land a job. The instructors were wonderful, their pre-class work was super helpful to prepare me for the next day of learning! The job prep in the course has been very insightful and I feel much more confident in landing that perfect job now!
  • Great Experience!
    - 12/1/2020
    Jesus Reyes  User Photo
    Jesus Reyes • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I decided to join the Devmountain program after a year of self learning. Devmountain took my learning and programming skills to the next level. The instructors and support staff make you feel like you are not alone in the learning journey by always being available to answer any questions about new concepts even in a remote setting. Overall the program was one of hardest things I have done but I feel it is equally as rewarding. I am now confident going into my job search with the skills I have learned!
  • It was worth it!
    - 10/30/2020
    Karson  User Photo
    Karson • Software QA Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had debated about joining the Software QA program for a couple of years. I finally took the leap while Covid was going on. Entering the program, I knew nothing about Software QA. I would spend extra time studying and working on what we had learned at night after class was over. The program was 9am-5pm, but for me it was more like 9am-12am some nights. The teachers were great. Even with the program being online, everyone in our program was responsive and helpful. You have class and mini-assignments during the day, then homework at night. Toward the end of the program you complete a personal project as well as a group project. After completing the course, you receive help with your resume and LinkedIn. I followed all the advice and applied to every job posting that fit what I was looking for. Even during Covid, I have been through multiple interviews and have received a job offer! I can now start a career path that I'll be happy in. It worked out for me, but I worked hard. Only do it if you're ready for a change and willing to work hard.
  • Adam P  User Photo
    Adam P • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, I had a really great experience. <$10k for 13 weeks of quality instruction--and an environment conducive to learning web development and making connections with likeminded folks--was a great value relative to the price tag. The cost factor was the main reason I went with DevMountain, as I couldn't fathom spending $10k-$20k+ on a boot camp (at that point, you're probably better off just going to a local community college and then transfer to an in-state accredited 4-year Bachelors in CS [Computer Science] program honestly). And I definitely feel that I got my money's worth, and then some.

I went the boot camp route to change careers, and I am really glad I decided to do so with DevMountain. I previously completed a degree in Engineering (non-CS) and had been working on programming in my spare time for the preceding 2-3 years, including taking a few CS courses online focused on C++ via my local community in the year preceding (2019) the start of the boot camp (2020). Therefore, I came into the boot camp with a solid background and specific goals/intentions: to learn full-stack web application development. And that is precisely what I got out of the boot camp: nothing more, nothing less.

Relevant, focused curriculum over a relatively short time period (13 weeks), getting you up to speed relatively quickly. I am generally skeptical of other boot camps that cover 2 or 3 full stacks; starting off going into a junior developer role, it's much better to be proficient at one stack than mediocre at 3. To this end, as of this writing (2020) DevMountain's web development curriculum v.3 (https://github.com/DevMountain/web-curriculum-v3) covers HTML/CSS and full-stack JavaScript via React/Redux (front-end/client-side) and Node.js/Express with PostgreSQL (back-end/server-side). This is a very in-demand and useful stack for the current web development job market.

Furthermore, the Outcomes department is very engaging and helpful, even post-graduation. They work hard to coordinate events and put alumni in touch with employers for opportunities. While I ultimately ended up finding a job in my local market independently of Outcomes, I really appreciate their hard work and good-faith effort to put alumni in touch with prospective employers.

It would be nice for the curriculum to put more emphasis on unit testing (covered briefly in the last week of lectures), that was the biggest blind spot I had coming out of boot camp going into my first role as a junior. But there's only so much they can cover in 13 weeks, so on the whole still a pretty solid curriculum.

An important CAVEAT for prospective boot camp students (not specific to DevMountain students, but rather BOOTCAMPS IN GENERAL): do your DUE DILIGENCE! I strongly advise against doing a boot camp if you have no prior programming experience, and this is for several important reasons:
    - 1) Firstly, if you are going to spend thousands or even $10k+ on a boot camp, make sure YOU ACTUALLY ENJOY PROGRAMMING. This is not a get-rich-quick field, it takes a lot of time and practice to gain proficiency, and continuous learning to stay current with the field even after you are hired as a working/professional developer. If you're just looking to punch a clock 40 hrs/week expecting to make six figures, look elsewhere. The reason programming pays well is precisely because it is hard, and not many people are cut out for it.
    - 2) As a corollary to the previous point, be sure to do some preparatory work. Learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, which also should give you a good idea of what programming will entail. This will be your life week in and out if you choose this career path, so figure out first how well it suits you and whether you have the core competencies to make it as a programmer. Furthermore, with a solid background coming in, you can focus on learning the more advanced/important concepts during the boot camp, rather than getting bogged down with the basics of programming right out of the gate. The program moves FAST so it takes a lot of effort to keep up, even for students coming in with some experience.
    - 3) Lastly, be sure to manage your expectations. A boot camp with a solid curriculum will have you leave the program at a level of competency commensurate with a junior developer; to this end, I am extremely satisfied as an alumnus of the program. However, while the skillset is valuable in the marketplace, there is no guarantee of employment, and you should expect a challenging job hunt--junior developer roles have ALWAYS been competitive (even pre-COVID), and the current economic slowdown due to the pandemic only makes this more challenging. In my personal case, I was able to land a junior role under a month after graduating. BUT, I have an Engineering degree (non-CS) from a reputable university, and 5+ years of experience (unrelated to software development) in the same industry where I received both offers. Your mileage WILL vary. 3-6+ months of focused job hunting (i.e., applying daily) is reasonable to expect to land a job, particularly with a shaky economy.