university-of-minnesota-boot-camps-logo

University of Minnesota Boot Camps

St. Paul

University of Minnesota Boot Camps

University of Minnesota Boot Camps offer a 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development courses and 24-week, part-time data analytics, cybersecurity, UX/UI, and financial technology courses in St. Paul, Minnesota. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data science curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript charting (D3.js, Leaflet.js), HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The cybersecurity program offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The UX/UI program provides hands-on training in user-centric design research, design thinking, visual prototyping and wireframing, interface design, storyboarding, visual design theory, web prototyping with HTML5 and CSS, interaction design with JavaScript and jQuery, and more.

The FinTech curriculum covers Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are available in both full-time and part-time formats, University of Minnesota Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will have access to a range of career services including portfolio or homework reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and 1:1 career coaching. Graduates will receive a Full Stack Web Development Certificate, a Data Visualization and Analytics Certificate, a Cybersecurity Certificate, a UX/UI Certificate, or a Financial Technology Certificate from the University of Minnesota College of Continuing and Professional Studies. Successful graduates will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data analytics, UX/UI, or financial technology or have the skills to receive cybersecurity certifications.

University of Minnesota Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent University of Minnesota Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (8) reviews for University of Minnesota Boot Camps →

Recent University of Minnesota Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationSt. Paul
    At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp, students get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationSt. Paul
    This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Crypocurrency, SQL, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
    LocationSt. Paul
    Get hands-on training and instruction in financial technology and analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your current schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, only three days a week, with convenient evening and weekend classes. Gain access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
    Payment plans available
  • Full-Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationSt. Paul
    U of M Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
  • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationSt. Paul
    U of M Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
  • UX/UI Boot Camp - Part-Time

HTML, Git, JavaScript, User Experience Design, CSS
    LocationSt. Paul
    Get hands-on training and instruction in high-demand UX/UI Design methodology which includes software skills in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, XD), Sketch App, InVision, Keynote as well as front-end web prototyping technologies and frameworks including HTML/CSS, JavaScript, Bootstrap, Git/GitHub and more. Maintain your work or college schedule by studying part-time, only three days a week, with convenient evening and weekend hours. Apply what you’ve learned toward building a comprehensive portfolio of projects ranging from AI sketches to mobile-responsive web layouts.
    Payment plans available

• $500 University of Minnesota Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive University of Minnesota Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (St. Paul)
  • Melissa Wolf  User Photo
    Melissa Wolf • UX/UI Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I would highly recommend this bootcamp to anyone wanting to learn and put in the time. I made lasting relationships with classmates that I will now carry through my career, as well as so many skills I never thought I could learn in a 6 month time period. It really gives you the tools to do so many things with your career or business.
    Tuesday, Nov 24 2020
    Amazing, Melissa! We strive to foster a collaborative classroom environment, so we're thrilled you were able to form close connections with your classmates as well as learn the fundamentals of UX/UI. Congratulations on graduating, we appreciate your review! All the best moving forward.
  • Samer Saadoun  User Photo
    Samer Saadoun • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Syria, 1997. My very first experience facing a PC. It was running on Windows 95, very slow, very noisy, and extremely magical. That was the moment when I said to my father "I will become a programmer". Then, life took me on a different path (financial pressure/survival mode) and I ended up working in the media field for +8 years. But that moment of love, at first sight, stayed with me and I had to remind myself that “IT’S NEVER TOO LATE TO BECOME A CODER”.

Apart from the romantic reason behind my decision, there are of course many rational reasons that pushed me to join a Bootcamp. Here are a few:
    • Coding is a massive field full of opportunities and creativity
    • Coders are highly required in the market and that’s not going to change anytime soon
    • So many opportunities to work as a freelancer and/or work from home
    • Coding is a continuous learning experience. It’s like taking your brain to the gym every day. (don’t forget to take your body to the gym too)
    • If you do some coding and learn every day. Your only way is UP.

So, why a boot camp? After considering the main options (college/Bootcamp/solo-learning online), I decided that a Bootcamp is the perfect first step for changing careers. The amount of time and money spent on it is a total win when the result is:
    • Understanding a wide range of topics that cover almost the full picture
    • Finishing 3 major projects and many smaller ones (Big PLUS in your resume)
    • So many support sources in addition to a very interactive class
    • Interacting with professional coders and gaining insights from their work experience
    • Coding with a group just like you would do in a company
    • Many great career services that are available for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!!
    And many other reasons that make the boot camp a very rich experience full of benefits.

If you decide to take this very exciting journey, here are a few things that I did before and during the course that I believe gave me a great push forward.
    • Give yourself about a month to prepare. (mini-tutorials, youtube videos, HTML/CSS/JS basics, articles on problem solving/coding logic ...etc)
    • Before the starting date, you will have a pre-work assigned to you, which is a collection of simple subjects and activities to warm up. Take it very seriously and give it an appropriate amount of time. It will give you a great push through the first month, and it will be too late to give up :) Now, your only option is SUCCESS!
    • Get yourself a nice-looking journal and keep track of everything you learn on a daily basis, just a line or two on each new concept is enough. And keep some notes on any gaps/questions you have, to ask them during office hours.
    • Try to code/read as many examples as possible on every new concept you learn
    • Connect with your classmates, do study groups, ask and try to answer questions. Those interactions are gold! Push yourself out even if you don’t feel like it.
    • Never ever hesitate on asking questions. Never tell yourself “I think my question is very basic. I’ll keep my mouth shut and study more after class” this is your time to learn, not to be shy or surrender to self-doubt.
    • If you remind yourself that this boot camp is the cornerstone of a new career, you will have more energy and appreciation for it than being in the classic student mentality of “I need to do my homework and pass.”

I still have a lot to say about my experience, but since I’m still halfway through, I’ll save the rest for another review after I cross the finish line.

Best of luck to everyone and BIG BIG shout out to the instructor Dan Mueller and the TA’s

Friday, Oct 30 2020
    We appreciate your review, Samer! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We couldn't agree more that it's never too late to pursue your passions and enter the tech field. You're completely right that coding is a continual learning experience, one that provides hardworking candidates vast amounts of opportunities.

We're thrilled to hear you're benefiting from both the available resources and support the boot camp has to offer including working on real-world projects, interactive classes, collaboration with classmates, and career services. Great advice for prospective students—completing the pre-work, connecting with other participants, not being afraid to ask questions, and keeping track of everything you learn will definitely help you stay ahead. We also think Dan and the rest of our instructional team are pretty fantastic at what they do.

Congratulations on all the hard work you've dedicated thus far, we wish you continued success as you finish out the program!
  • Dave  User Photo
    Dave • Student Verified via GitHub

I highly recommend Trilogy’s U of MN Data Analytics & Visualization Boot Camp, but only if you are serious about wanting to learn!

If you are new to coding – plan on spending 10 – 20 hours per week on homework, studying and projects.

Did I learn a lot?

The first day of class, I didn’t know anything about coding – not a single line of python – didn’t even know what Git Bash was.

My final project was machine learning classifying SEC 10k Risk Factor text documents for a U of MN Professor. A side project I did on my own was scrapping 65k tweets and performing a sentiment analysis for a UNC Professor!

I learned a ton!

Be Prepared for Class:

Class is fast paced! Classes had two components, instructor led examples and student in-class activities. That was a combined 512 in-class activities in 6 months! The activities are where you really learn – it’s practicing what you were just taught and then getting immediate feedback on the right way to complete the activity!

We had 16 homework assignments and 3 projects. Every one of them was challenging and took hours to complete.

Positives:

Instructors: There were two cohorts that met on separate nights during the week and together on the weekends. The instructors would alternate for the combined Saturday class. Both of my instructors (Paul K and Madeleine F) were data scientists by day, very knowledgeable, approachable, and took time during office hours and throughout the week as time allowed to answer questions. Both on their own time would post relevant articles, job openings, and other resources for the students. If you have an opportunity to have Paul or Madeleine as an instructor don’t pass up the opportunity – I learned a ton!

We also had 4 great TAs – maybe our classes just got lucky…

Not a single person dropped out of the class – I think that had a lot to do with effective pre-screening and a staff that inspired us to be successful.

Surveys made a difference! Every week you are required to fill out a class survey. For the first 6 months, every week I responded – please give us a syllabus! Trilogy never gave us a syllabus, but our instructor finally started slacking out what we were going to be covering in the upcoming week. VERY HELPFUL! I saw this week on our class page that Trilogy posted a syllabus – what’s my point? I felt that they listened to student feedback and made incremental changes throughout the 6 months.

Class Videos – every class session is recorded so you can watch it later. The first few months I didn’t use it at all, but then class started getting more difficult and I referred to the videos quite a bit.

Negatives:

They didn’t provide a syllabus. This was frustrating because I wanted to spend time preparing at home so when I heard about a new function in class – it wouldn’t be the first time. They now provide a syllabus so where it was a negative for me, future students take advantage of this and study before class.

Career Services isn’t what I thought it was when I signed up, but it has been satisfactory after I adjusted my expectations. Career Services is meant to get you ‘interview ready’ – not to help you find a job; although I can tell they are even trying to change that a little bit with a Demo Days, marketing to local recruiters, etc.

What was most surprising?

How much we learned in such a short period of time. You won’t be an expert at any given language or library, but you will know how to find the answers to be successful at coding.

I was also (happily) surprised at how time was spent on html/css/JavaScript. When you think about it, we learned how to take huge data (millions of rows), visualize it with cool interactive visuals (look at https://github.com/d3/d3/wiki/Gallery to become inspired and excited) – so it only makes sense that we would want to learn how to make it easy for non-programming people to access! You will have enough knowledge by the end of the course to make any of the visuals you find on the d3 GitHub link!

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Thank you so much, Dave! We appreciate you sharing a detailed review of your experience and our program structure. We're happy to hear you found our instructional team to be knowledgeable and supportive — we also think Paul and Madeleine are pretty great. It makes our team's day to see how much our students learn and progress during this intensive program. We're constantly working to improve our program and its offerings, so we truly appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on graduating, we are rooting you on in all that you do!
  • DJ Steinmetz  User Photo
    DJ Steinmetz • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I highly recommend the Full Stack Coding Bootcamp through UMN.  High quality instruction, great support and Teachers Assistants.  Everything about this experience was valuable, and I've now almost doubled my salary!  Well worth the time and money.

Tuesday, Oct 23 2018
    Way to go, DJ! We're thrilled to hear you had such an invaluable student experience and truly benefited from our instructional support. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the success in your future endeavors!

• Great course!
    - 2/15/2019
    Robyn C • Student

I took the part-time full-stack web development bootcamp and loved it. I had a great instructional team and felt supported in every access. The content was challenging but not frustrating or impossible. I felt the need to do an in-person bootcamp and do not regret my decision to do this one. A few months after I graduated, I got a job as a front-end developer and am so happy with my career change.

Friday, Feb 15 2019
    Amazing, Robyn! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We're glad you enjoyed the curriculum and felt supported by our entire instructional team. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! All the best in your new role.
  • Excellent Program
    - 5/23/2018
    Joe • Graduate

I really enjoyed my experience in the program. I did not have any coding experience before doing this and I received a lot of individual support and attention. I am really grateful for all of the help I got from my instructor and ta team. We had a rough start to class with only one ta, but we ended up working with a great group of people. I liked the group work and the program manager had a lot of helpful resources for me. The class is very hands on and I needed visual resources too. The class does not come with a book or reading materials which is the one real downside to me. I enjoyed the students I was with and had a great time, except for one group project. I ended up with a group member that was a lot of trouble.

Response From: Andrea Hansen of University of Minnesota Boot Camps
    Title: Student Success Manager
    Wednesday, May 30 2018
    Congratulations on completing the course, Joe! Our instructors and TA's are incredibly passionate about helping students learn hands-on full-stack web development, so we’re happy to hear they were so helpful and attentive throughout the program. We understand you would have liked additional reading materials, and we appreciate this feedback as we're constantly updating our curriculum.

It is our goal to create a positive and collaborative classroom environment, designing group projects that best simulate real-world experiences students may encounter. We regret you struggled with a disruptive group member and want all students to leave the boot camp feeling positive and confident. If you would like, please contact me directly at (612) 424-8605 so we can further address any concerns you may have. Once again, congratulations on your hard work and dedication. Thank you for your review and we wish you all the best!

Recent grad from the part time full stack program. My experience with course has been pretty good. Friendly staff, helpful TA's, decent instructor, although it was apparent that the instructor wasn't familiar with the material some of the time. Especially when it came to React.js.

Most of the curriculum was written in es5, which made it pretty outdated. Things got tricky when they suddenly expected us to know es6 for react.js. Which was troubling, because for about 4 months they had us coding in es5.

They also fixate on some outdated material, which I don't think is useful in the real world.

I also agree with some other reviews I saw on reddit, in which other students said that it seems a lot of the students there are just trying to hang in there and make it through the course, and not being able to keep up, or they have no idea what is going on. You'll realize this when projects come around.

The program was cheaper than the other programs in the area. So it has that going for it.

Career counseling is pretty much none existence. When you'll first me your counselor, she'll come off as extremely enthusiastic, but when you have one on ones with her, you'll realize that she is extremely overworked and not very helpful. It took me over a month and a half to get a meeting with her.

Again, this was my experience with the program, although many other students in my cohort agree with me and my opinion. Hopefully the program will learn from it's mistakes and better itself.

Thursday, Apr 11 2019
    Thank you for sharing your experience, and congratulations on completing the program! We're happy to hear you found our boot camp team to be friendly and helpful.

From your review, we understand your instructor might not have met your expectations when it came to learning React. We do hire industry professionals with a minimum of three years of experience as active practitioners in the field. Each individual is vetted by the University of Minnesota and trained in instructional best practices before being introduced into the classroom. However, we know that not all teaching styles will resonate with all learners. The student experience is our priority and we actively monitor instructor performance through weekly student feedback surveys on instructor clarity, engagement, and knowledgeability.

As a boot camp, we know that the curriculum is fast-paced and challenging while covering a wide range of topics, and we do our best to make this clear to prospective students. Topics are introduced at a high-level in-class, after which learners are expected to dive in and not only gain a deeper understanding of the concepts covered, but practice their skills outside of the classroom. Each lesson builds on the last and we find that as the curriculum progresses, most participants feel increasingly confident in the knowledge they've gained. This methodology helps individuals learn how to problem-solve and self-teach—crucial abilities needed in any programming role. To help students through the rigorous curriculum, we do offer several means of support including office hours, Slack, and free tutoring sessions. Were you able to find these beneficial?

The core concepts in our curriculum were engineered using extensive market and employer research, but we are constantly optimizing our course as the industry evolves. We know that technology is ever-changing, so we want students to graduate with the necessary skills to quickly learn new frameworks and languages on their own. Our team is continually updating our course material and instructional support to ensure students have the best learning experience possible, so we truly appreciate your input.

Our career services team is built on the principle of empowerment and we strive to continuously support students throughout their job search. We regret you did not have an opportunity to fully participate in the career assistance experience of the course. While we do not secure direct employment for our learners, we work to empower students with the necessary resources and support they need to enter the workforce. Our professional development curriculum includes 1:1 coaching, resume support, portfolio reviews, and more. Were you able to utilize these resources? Your job support does not end upon graduation; you're still able to reactivate your career services support today and gain access to a range of continued strategies and coaching.

It is our goal for all students to leave the program feeling not only confident in the skills they have gained but also equipped for success as they step out into the industry. We would love the opportunity to speak with you further about how we can supplement your learning or career search at this time. If you would like, please reach out to us at (612) 424-8605.
  • David Kraft • Graduate

Very skilled and caring instructional team. You get out of the program what you put into it.

Tuesday, Aug 28 2018
    Thank you for your review, David! We're so glad you enjoyed our instructional team and have to agree that you get out of the program what you put in. Congratulations on graduating and we wish you all the success moving forward!