university-of-minnesota-boot-camps-logo

University of Minnesota Boot Camps

St. Paul

University of Minnesota Boot Camps

University of Minnesota Boot Camps offer a 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development courses, 24-week, part-time data analytics, cybersecurity, UX/UI, and financial technology courses, and an 18-week, part-time digital marketing course. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The UX/UI program provides hands-on training in user-centric design research, design thinking, visual prototyping and wireframing, interface design, storyboarding, visual design theory, web prototyping with HTML5 and CSS, interaction design with JavaScript and jQuery, and more.

The fintech curriculum covers Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

The digital marketing curriculum covers highly relevant skills, training students in marketing strategy fundamentals, optimizing campaigns and websites, digital advertising and automation strategy, and more. Students will get hands-on experience with tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook Ads Manager, and Wordpress.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are available in both full-time and part-time formats, University of Minnesota Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will have access to a range of career services including portfolio or homework reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and 1:1 career coaching. Graduates will receive a Full Stack Web Development Certificate, a Data Visualization and Analytics Certificate, a Cybersecurity Certificate, a UX/UI Certificate, or a Financial Technology Certificate from the University of Minnesota College of Continuing and Professional Studies. Successful graduates will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data analytics, digital marketing, or financial technology or have the skills to receive cybersecurity certifications.

University of Minnesota Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent University of Minnesota Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.59

all (17) reviews for University of Minnesota Boot Camps →

Recent University of Minnesota Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationSt. Paul
    University of Minnesota Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationSt. Paul
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Digital Marketing - Part-Time

LocationSt. Paul
    University of Minnesota Digital Marketing Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time digital marketing boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in marketing strategy, campaign development, digital advertising, and modern tools in site analytics and reporting. Gain experience with in-demand tools and technologies such as Google Ads, Google Analytics, Facebook Ads Manager, Wordpress, and more, while also advancing campaign analysis technical skills.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Algorithms, Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, Excel, Machine Learning, Python, SQL
    LocationSt. Paul
    Get hands-on training and instruction in financial technology and analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your current schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, and gain access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, React.js, CSS, HTML, MongoDB, Node.js
    LocationSt. Paul
    University of Minnesota Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

Git, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL, React.js, CSS, HTML, Node.js, MongoDB
    LocationSt. Paul
    University of Minnesota Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • UX/UI Boot Camp - Part-Time

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, User Experience Design
    LocationSt. Paul
    Get hands-on training and instruction in UX/UI design methodology, design software skills, front end web prototyping technologies and frameworks including HTML/CSS, interaction design with JavaScript and jQuery, and more. Maintain your current schedule by studying part-time, and apply what you’ve learned toward building a comprehensive portfolio of projects ranging from AI sketches to mobile-responsive web layouts.

• $500 University of Minnesota Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive University of Minnesota Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (St. Paul)
  • Cybersecurity
    - 6/16/2022
    Christopher pelaez  User Photo
    Christopher pelaez • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    This course amazing to start cybersecurity field career for mee so excited to join , I was very  challenge and learning  the key   Successful keep the practice and get error to get better each day . I make this bootcamp I wanna to grow up on the career cybersecurity for mee interested learn more about how lading on this career. In general very good recommended university.
    Friday, Jun 17 2022
    Amazing, Christopher! Thank you for choosing our boot camp to make a significant career change. Like you noted, this is a challenging program that will require extensive practice and hard work to truly master the topics covered. Congratulations on successfully completing the course and thank you for your review! All the best moving forward.
    - 12/15/2021
    PHILLIP SNELL  User Photo
    PHILLIP SNELL • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    This course was very good. I thought I would not make it but the staff and instructors really took us by the hand and made sure we understood all the material before moving on in class.
    Friday, Dec 17 2021
    Thanks, Phillip! We're thrilled you enjoyed the program and benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team. Congratulations on graduating, we appreciate your review! Best of luck moving forward.
  • Rachel  User Photo
    Rachel • Bank Examiner • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    My name is Rachel and I am currently a U of M FinTech Boot Camp student.  I want to start my testimonial by stating that this program is one of the best programs I have taken in continuing professional studies.  It is challenging, but rewarding; it is time-consuming, but engaging; it is complex, but incredibly interesting, and I am in awe of how much I have learned and benefitted from this course.  The experience I have gained in this program has opened opportunities in my profession that I never thought I would be able to achieve, including a recent job offer as an Innovation Officer!

I currently work in bank regulation, and with the ever-changing digital landscape and constant buzzwords of “FinTech,” “cryptocurrency,” and “machine learning/artificial intelligence” I realized I didn’t know much about this innovation.  In order to keep up with the changes in bank technology, I needed an avenue to learn as much as I could about it.  I stumbled across the FinTech Boot Camp while I was searching for courses.  The curriculum was intimidating and the time commitment was significant, but I knew this was a topic I needed to dive into.  To be honest, I didn’t even know what Python programming was before I took this course!  Fast forward a few months, I can successfully code with Python, understand financial programming including the use of APIs, use machine learning to predict future outcomes, run artificial intelligence models, and I have even created a roboadvisor bot using AWS.

My favorite part of the program is the hands-on-learning.  The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable and flexible, and they help you to understand how these concepts are applied in real-life examples.  If you are in the financial services industry, this course is a MUST.  My advice to future prospective students is, as my instructor says, “Don’t mistake excitement for fear.”  This course can be intimidating at first and you’ll feel like you don’t know anything, which can be scary, but it’s actually very exciting.  It’s exciting to look at a huge block of complex code and realize that you will be able to write it in just a few months.  You’ll gain skills that are in high-demand and it will open opportunities for you to continue growing professionally.  I am looking forward to the rest of the program, and receiving the professional certification I can proudly put on my resume.
    Friday, Dec 17 2021
    Way to go, Rachel! It's great to hear you're finding the program to be challenging but rewarding. Thank you for choosing our boot camp to further develop your skill set and learn a wide range of new technologies. We strive to foster a collaborative and positive classroom environment so we're glad this is resonating with you. Great advice for prospective students — not mistaking excitement for fear can help you better surpass obstacles and understand the material covered. We commend all the hard work you've dedicated to your studies thus far and look forward to helping you towards graduation!
  • Steven Bauer  User Photo
    Steven Bauer • Security Engineer (starting Sep. 2021 as result of the bootcamp) • Student Verified via GitHub
    The course was conducted entirely via Zoom with a teacher and teacher assistants with a combination of lectures, real-life examples, demonstrations, and homework to complement skill cybersecurity skill development. The following is taken from the University of Minnesota Cybersecurity Boot Camp | St. Paul (umn.edu) website and I wanted to put it as the course contained exactly what they advertised. I had a wonderful experience and recommended it to anyone with drive and desire to get hands on cybersecurity skills to use in an existing job or move into a new career as I have done.

• Gain experience with a host of popular tools such as Wireshark, Kali Linux, Metasploit, Nessus, and more.
    • Learn skills applicable to certifications such as the CompTIA Security+, Network+, Linux+, Server+, Cloud+, and Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH).
    • Advance your skillset even if you’re currently employed or in school through convenient evening and weekend classes.
    • Benefit from a comprehensive set of career services to help equip you for success as you work to change career paths or advance in your current position
    Friday, Aug 27 2021
    Amazing, Steven! We're happy your virtual classroom experience was delivered successfully and that you benefited from the online format. It's great to hear you benefited from the curriculum and enjoyed your boot camp experience. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! We're rooting you on in your new role and can't wait to see what you'll continue to accomplish.
  • Coding Bootcamp
    - 12/16/2020
    Meena Ambalam  User Photo
    Meena Ambalam • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I am an IT professional with about 2 decade of experience. Most of my experience was in legacy technology and past 5 years I've been playing the role of Business Analyst. I was working for Delta Airlines in Minnesota campus. When COVID hit and impacted Airline business, the great company it is, with great leaders, we were offered voluntary packages to separate from the company with health insurance for a year. I took that opportunity to introspect my career path and retool myself. As I loved art, colors, and enjoyed hands-on problem solving, I decided to take the path of Web development and signed up for the Coding Bootcamp with  University of Minnesota.

The Fulltime coding program was a fast pace program. It was a fun, interesting and a challenging program. The instructor was very knowledgeable, humorous and made the learning process more fun and enjoyable. The TAs were also knowledgeable, encouraging and guided us throughout the program, even providing some weekend sessions from their personal time.
    I couldn't ask for more.

I didn't use the career service during the program. Now having completed the program, I am fully focused on utilizing the all the help career service offers to guide me in job application, networking and landing in a job.

I am so glad I selected Coding Bootcamp with University of Minnesota. Heartfelt thanks to the Program and the Instructional Team.
    Thursday, Dec 17 2020
    Thanks, Meena! We appreciate you choosing our program to further your technical skills and make a significant career change. We're thrilled to hear you had found the boot camp to be interesting and challenging. Our team strives to enable student success, so it's great to know you benefited from their ongoing help and encouragement. We're looking forward to providing you career services assistance in the upcoming weeks. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in all your future endeavors!
  • Melissa Wolf  User Photo
    Melissa Wolf • UX/UI Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I would highly recommend this bootcamp to anyone wanting to learn and put in the time. I made lasting relationships with classmates that I will now carry through my career, as well as so many skills I never thought I could learn in a 6 month time period. It really gives you the tools to do so many things with your career or business.
    Tuesday, Nov 24 2020
    Amazing, Melissa! We strive to foster a collaborative classroom environment, so we're thrilled you were able to form close connections with your classmates as well as learn the fundamentals of UX/UI. Congratulations on graduating, we appreciate your review! All the best moving forward.
  • Samer Saadoun  User Photo
    Samer Saadoun • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Syria, 1997. My very first experience facing a PC. It was running on Windows 95, very slow, very noisy, and extremely magical. That was the moment when I said to my father "I will become a programmer". Then, life took me on a different path (financial pressure/survival mode) and I ended up working in the media field for +8 years. But that moment of love, at first sight, stayed with me and I had to remind myself that “IT’S NEVER TOO LATE TO BECOME A CODER”.

Apart from the romantic reason behind my decision, there are of course many rational reasons that pushed me to join a Bootcamp. Here are a few:
    • Coding is a massive field full of opportunities and creativity
    • Coders are highly required in the market and that’s not going to change anytime soon
    • So many opportunities to work as a freelancer and/or work from home
    • Coding is a continuous learning experience. It’s like taking your brain to the gym every day. (don’t forget to take your body to the gym too)
    • If you do some coding and learn every day. Your only way is UP.

So, why a boot camp? After considering the main options (college/Bootcamp/solo-learning online), I decided that a Bootcamp is the perfect first step for changing careers. The amount of time and money spent on it is a total win when the result is:
    • Understanding a wide range of topics that cover almost the full picture
    • Finishing 3 major projects and many smaller ones (Big PLUS in your resume)
    • So many support sources in addition to a very interactive class
    • Interacting with professional coders and gaining insights from their work experience
    • Coding with a group just like you would do in a company
    • Many great career services that are available for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!!
    And many other reasons that make the boot camp a very rich experience full of benefits.

If you decide to take this very exciting journey, here are a few things that I did before and during the course that I believe gave me a great push forward.
    • Give yourself about a month to prepare. (mini-tutorials, youtube videos, HTML/CSS/JS basics, articles on problem solving/coding logic ...etc)
    • Before the starting date, you will have a pre-work assigned to you, which is a collection of simple subjects and activities to warm up. Take it very seriously and give it an appropriate amount of time. It will give you a great push through the first month, and it will be too late to give up :) Now, your only option is SUCCESS!
    • Get yourself a nice-looking journal and keep track of everything you learn on a daily basis, just a line or two on each new concept is enough. And keep some notes on any gaps/questions you have, to ask them during office hours.
    • Try to code/read as many examples as possible on every new concept you learn
    • Connect with your classmates, do study groups, ask and try to answer questions. Those interactions are gold! Push yourself out even if you don’t feel like it.
    • Never ever hesitate on asking questions. Never tell yourself “I think my question is very basic. I’ll keep my mouth shut and study more after class” this is your time to learn, not to be shy or surrender to self-doubt.
    • If you remind yourself that this boot camp is the cornerstone of a new career, you will have more energy and appreciation for it than being in the classic student mentality of “I need to do my homework and pass.”

I still have a lot to say about my experience, but since I’m still halfway through, I’ll save the rest for another review after I cross the finish line.

Best of luck to everyone and BIG BIG shout out to the instructor Dan Mueller and the TA’s

Friday, Oct 30 2020
    We appreciate your review, Samer! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We couldn't agree more that it's never too late to pursue your passions and enter the tech field. You're completely right that coding is a continual learning experience, one that provides hardworking candidates vast amounts of opportunities.

We're thrilled to hear you're benefiting from both the available resources and support the boot camp has to offer including working on real-world projects, interactive classes, collaboration with classmates, and career services. Great advice for prospective students—completing the pre-work, connecting with other participants, not being afraid to ask questions, and keeping track of everything you learn will definitely help you stay ahead. We also think Dan and the rest of our instructional team are pretty fantastic at what they do.

Congratulations on all the hard work you've dedicated thus far, we wish you continued success as you finish out the program!
  • Dave  User Photo
    Dave • Student Verified via GitHub

I highly recommend Trilogy’s U of MN Data Analytics & Visualization Boot Camp, but only if you are serious about wanting to learn!

If you are new to coding – plan on spending 10 – 20 hours per week on homework, studying and projects.

Did I learn a lot?

The first day of class, I didn’t know anything about coding – not a single line of python – didn’t even know what Git Bash was.

My final project was machine learning classifying SEC 10k Risk Factor text documents for a U of MN Professor. A side project I did on my own was scrapping 65k tweets and performing a sentiment analysis for a UNC Professor!

I learned a ton!

Be Prepared for Class:

Class is fast paced! Classes had two components, instructor led examples and student in-class activities. That was a combined 512 in-class activities in 6 months! The activities are where you really learn – it’s practicing what you were just taught and then getting immediate feedback on the right way to complete the activity!

We had 16 homework assignments and 3 projects. Every one of them was challenging and took hours to complete.

Positives:

Instructors: There were two cohorts that met on separate nights during the week and together on the weekends. The instructors would alternate for the combined Saturday class. Both of my instructors (Paul K and Madeleine F) were data scientists by day, very knowledgeable, approachable, and took time during office hours and throughout the week as time allowed to answer questions. Both on their own time would post relevant articles, job openings, and other resources for the students. If you have an opportunity to have Paul or Madeleine as an instructor don’t pass up the opportunity – I learned a ton!

We also had 4 great TAs – maybe our classes just got lucky…

Not a single person dropped out of the class – I think that had a lot to do with effective pre-screening and a staff that inspired us to be successful.

Surveys made a difference! Every week you are required to fill out a class survey. For the first 6 months, every week I responded – please give us a syllabus! Trilogy never gave us a syllabus, but our instructor finally started slacking out what we were going to be covering in the upcoming week. VERY HELPFUL! I saw this week on our class page that Trilogy posted a syllabus – what’s my point? I felt that they listened to student feedback and made incremental changes throughout the 6 months.

Class Videos – every class session is recorded so you can watch it later. The first few months I didn’t use it at all, but then class started getting more difficult and I referred to the videos quite a bit.

Negatives:

They didn’t provide a syllabus. This was frustrating because I wanted to spend time preparing at home so when I heard about a new function in class – it wouldn’t be the first time. They now provide a syllabus so where it was a negative for me, future students take advantage of this and study before class.

Career Services isn’t what I thought it was when I signed up, but it has been satisfactory after I adjusted my expectations. Career Services is meant to get you ‘interview ready’ – not to help you find a job; although I can tell they are even trying to change that a little bit with a Demo Days, marketing to local recruiters, etc.

What was most surprising?

How much we learned in such a short period of time. You won’t be an expert at any given language or library, but you will know how to find the answers to be successful at coding.

I was also (happily) surprised at how time was spent on html/css/JavaScript. When you think about it, we learned how to take huge data (millions of rows), visualize it with cool interactive visuals (look at https://github.com/d3/d3/wiki/Gallery to become inspired and excited) – so it only makes sense that we would want to learn how to make it easy for non-programming people to access! You will have enough knowledge by the end of the course to make any of the visuals you find on the d3 GitHub link!

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Thank you so much, Dave! We appreciate you sharing a detailed review of your experience and our program structure. We're happy to hear you found our instructional team to be knowledgeable and supportive — we also think Paul and Madeleine are pretty great. It makes our team's day to see how much our students learn and progress during this intensive program. We're constantly working to improve our program and its offerings, so we truly appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on graduating, we are rooting you on in all that you do!
  • DJ Steinmetz  User Photo
    DJ Steinmetz • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I highly recommend the Full Stack Coding Bootcamp through UMN.  High quality instruction, great support and Teachers Assistants.  Everything about this experience was valuable, and I've now almost doubled my salary!  Well worth the time and money.

Tuesday, Oct 23 2018
    Way to go, DJ! We're thrilled to hear you had such an invaluable student experience and truly benefited from our instructional support. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the success in your future endeavors!

• Current Student
    - 6/1/2022
    Manee • Student
    The UMN Boot Camp UX/UI has been one of the most challenging, yet real-world learning experience I've ever have gone through. The staff and instructor are amazing; super supportive of each student's development and growth in the program. It is truly a fast-pace course, but you learn so much in such little time. I've enjoyed learning new software and learning along with my peers. Not only does the program bring new and challenging insights, the students in the group also brings a lot to the class too. I've truly enjoyed getting to know my classmates and learning from them.

Overall I would say its a great program. I would highly recommend to those interested in the field of UX/UI. Its fast so it's important to have some knowledge of basic computer.
    Thursday, Jun 02 2022
    We appreciate you sharing your boot camp experience, Manee! It's great to hear you're benefiting not only from the support of our instructional team but also from the close connections you're making with your classmates. Like you noted, this is a fast-paced and rigorous program that covers a wide range of technologies in a short amount of time. We look forward to helping you successfully finish out the course — happy studying!
  • Stay Away!
    - 1/30/2021
    Myles Miller • Student
    Started this course while between jobs during the pandemic and initially everything went well. However, after some extenuating circumstances forced me to miss some sessions (death in the family and a new job which conflicted with class times) it became a nightmare. I was initially optimistic as the student success manager provided all sorts of options for keeping me in the class and up to speed. It quickly became apparent that this was lip service. It took me a over a month and multiple emails and calls to the regional director of Trilogy (the company UofM contracts the course out to) to finally get a response. I'm once again waiting for a response to another query after nearly two weeks and several emails/calls. The inability to communicate with students who are investing $11k on this course is, candidly, disgraceful. Life is unpredictable and communication through unpredictable times is a must. The fact that the the student success department is unable or unwilling to effectively communicate to students, the majority of whom are likely working and dedicating what free-time they have left to this course, is contemptible. Furthermore, The University of Minnesota is tarnishing their name and reputation by partnering with an organization that holds their students in zero regard.

In short: Future-forward look at who UofM partners with to offer these boot camp courses. If it is Trilogy, save yourself the time, money, and headache and stay away!
    Thursday, Feb 11 2021
    Thank you for your feedback, Myles. We regret to hear the program did not meet your expectations.

Student support is our top priority and we strive to be responsive to every request we receive. We do apologize for any delays you experienced in communication and want to ensure you we are constantly working to improve our response time to best serve the needs of our learners.

Like you mentioned, the University of Minnesota, College of Continuing and Professional Studies has partnered with Trilogy Education Services (TES), a 2U, Inc. brand, to offer the University of Minnesota Boot Camps. The University of Minnesota, College of Continuing and Professional Studies is deeply involved in the curriculum, instructor selection, and outcomes of each of our classes, and routinely meet in conjunction with TES to monitor the learning experience and performance. Both the University of Minnesota, College of Continuing and Professional Studies and TES are truly dedicated to transforming students' lives.

Your Career Director is scheduled to begin pre-graduation outreach in a few days and should be in contact. We hope you will find her assistance to be of help.

We sincerely care about our students and it is our goal for all participants to feel equipped with the necessary knowledge and resources to complete the course. While we know you are now in communications with your SSM, we would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further to learn how else we can assist you at this time. If you would like, please reach out to us at (612) 424-8605.
  • Caroline P • SVP, Product and Software Development • Student
    Excellent program that is more wide than deep but a great into to a very large topic. Supports entering a large and growing area of the Tech job market.
    Thursday, Dec 10 2020
    Way to go, Caroline! We're glad you had a positive boot camp experience and enjoyed the curriculum. We wish you continued success in all that you do.