codeup-logo

Codeup

Dallas, San Antonio

Codeup

Codeup is an immersive 22-week, in-person full stack web development, and data science career accelerator in San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston. The Full Stack Web Development Java program covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Spring, and MySQL. The Data Science Program covers Python, SQL, data visualization, data analytics, data wrangling, and statistics. Codeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation.

Prospective students must submit a brief online application, interview with the Codeup team, and then pass a 40-minute test covering word problems, logic problems, and basic algebra. The application process is looking for three things: professionalism, motivation, and problem-solving ability. The most successful Codeup students are prepared to jump into careers as developers and data scientists, have a true motivation to become developers and enjoy the challenge of solving complex problems.

Codeup has a dedicated staff, employer network, and community partnerships to help students land entry-level positions in software development or data science. Students receive help on the job search through workshops, job fairs, and one-on-one support to navigate the tech industry.

Recent Codeup Reviews: Rating 4.69

all (49) reviews for Codeup →

Recent Codeup News

Read all (9) articles about Codeup →
  • Data Science

LocationSan Antonio
    Codeup is an immersive 20-week, in-person full stack web development and data science career accelerator in San Antonio, Texas. ou will turn data into actionable intelligence and influence business decisions using Python, SQL, Machine Learning, data wrangling, data exploration, and data storytelling.
    DepositA $1,000 is required up front to reserve your seat in class, and that cost is deducted from your overall cost of tuition.
    We offer financing through our three loan partners, SkillsFund, Meritize, and Climb.
    Refund / GuaranteeCodeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation, contact Codeup directly to learn more about their refund program.
    ScholarshipWe offer over $25,000 in scholarships to each cohort to women in tech, minorities, LGBTQIA individuals, veterans, first responders, and relocators.
    Minimum Skill LevelBackground in a combination of math, stats, programming, business experience, and strong written/verbal communication. Our admissions process will gather a variety of data points to ensure each student will be successful in our program!
  • Full-Stack Web Development - Java

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End
    LocationSan Antonio
    The Full Stack Web Development Java program covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Spring, and MySQL. Codeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation. Contact Codeup directly to learn more about their refund program.
    Deposit$1000 (part of total tuition cost)
    Codeup offers a wide variety of financing:
    • VA benefits
    • Financing through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    • Grants through Project Quest, Workforce Solutions Alamo, DARS, and TechWorks
    Scholarship$10,000 in scholarships to Women in Tech. $10,000 in scholarships to Minorities in Tech. $1,000 scholarships to LGBTQIA+, Veterans, Relocators, and First Responders.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkOnline pre-work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
  • Full-Stack Web Development - Java

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End
    LocationDallas
    Deposit$1000 (part of total tuition cost)
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkOnline pre-work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
  • Amaro Terrazas  User Photo
    Amaro Terrazas • Software Engineer Associtate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I first saw Codeup at the San Antonio Airport while I was working as a a travel technician for Wind Turbines. That was right around the same time I was beginning to think that I needed a change in my life. I wanted to be closer to home and do something I had a strong interest in, which was computers and technology. After researching Codeup, I found that they had a good record of their students getting hired. I also enrolled into the program because they had “in class” instruction. However, when the pandemic hit, I ended up doing the program 100% virtually and it did not affect my ability to learn. I went through the accelerator course and not only was I taught how to be a full stack web developer, but a Professional Software Engineer. I was taught and given tools to become a successful entry level software engineer, I do see the difference of how well prepared I am compared to others who came from different schools or backgrounds. I feel highly confident with the information and knowledge of coding in my new career at my new company. I highly recommend Codeup, trust the system they have in place. Trust the process, failure is the process. I can genuinely say Codeup is the Standard of Career Accelerators, especially in Software Engineering.

• CodeUp
    - 5/20/2021
    Tylor Pelletier  User Photo
    Tylor Pelletier • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    CodeUp is an amazing boot camp for learning Software Development. They are also great with working with veterans who transition out of the military. As a veteran myself, they made the transition to civilian life seamless. They helped me with everything I needed to get done for the VA as well as help on getting a resume set up. The teachers do a great job of explaining the material as well as going in to further detail if you need it. They also provide extra help outside of class if you are stuck. I came to CodeUp with no prior knowledge of coding or how to use the terminal and they helped me understand a tremendous amount of new information. The hiring manager did an excellent job in getting me prepared for interviews, creating resumes, teaching professionalism, getting me connected to different companies and going to hiring events. He works with a passion to help each person succeed and it shows in his quality work. You can’t ask for a better team when it comes to the team they have there. From just out of the military to hired at USAA before graduation, CodeUp was one of the best investments I ever jumped on.
  • Ryan McCall  User Photo
    Ryan McCall • Public Safety Innovation Specialist • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I attended Codeup as part of the Curie Cohort for Data Science from Feb 2020 to June 2020. I'm currently working as a Public Safety Innovation Specialist for the City of San Antonio.

First, if you are wondering if you should go to Codeup, short answer, absolutely. You could spend less money elsewhere and take 2 - 5 years to get where you want, or you can make the investment now and be there in 5 months. Easy choice.

A little background on me. I went to college for 3 years to get a Bachelors in Chemistry, but didn't finish the degree. I worked in security for 3 years, all the while slowly learning programming from online resources. It was a hugely inefficient mess. You have to research everything yourself and hope that what you are learning is up to date. If you do spend money, it is for an online certification that only means as much as the projects you have to show for it. You are usually dealing with pre-recorded lectures if there is video material at all. You will have to create a lot of your own projects without a lot of guidance. You will have to figure out how everything is done in the real world on your own by digging through other practitioners' projects. And you will make tons of mistakes along the way without realizing them because you don't have someone to help. All of this, and you have no guarantee that any of this time, money, and stress will ever get you a job.

CODEUP IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED.

You will make more progress in 20 weeks than you could anywhere else. You will have instructors who are creating and adjusting the curriculum based on real interviews with employers and graduated students, so you know the material is up to date. You know the money you are spending is getting you a certificate that has value in actual companies. Your lectures are live and with a small class so you can get help whenever you need it. You will be given real open-ended projects that will prepare you for the real world. You will learn the correct standards for how work is completed so that you can hit the ground running in your new job. You will have instructors and your classmates to help you see your mistakes so that you can correct them quickly before they become bad habits.

All this, and they have the only job guarantee that I have ever seen that isn't dependant on your background and is a full tuition refund. Many other services offer a job guarantee, but when you read the small print they require that you have a bachelor's. You really can't get any better than this.

So honestly, help your future self and get that application in now. You won't regret it.
  • It's Worth It
    - 5/2/2021
    Shay Altshue  User Photo
    Shay Altshue • Data Visualization Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after leaving the military, but I knew I wanted to do something related to code. I loved the one coding class I took in high school, and throughout my time as an analyst for the Army I could see how code could help improve the work flow around me. I wasn't sure at first if Codeup was worth it to me before I started the class, but now I can safely say Codeup is the reason I'm successful in the tech field today.

I came to Codeup with no skills in python, and zero knowledge of what Data Science tools were out there (excel doesn't count and it knows it). I walked out of Codeup confident in python, and an arsenal of data science tools. Codeup's Data Science course will absolutely turn you into a competent data scientist.

The teachers are fantastic, having designed the course work themselves rather than pulling from textbooks. My experience with the instructors is that they are very engaged with you and will try to get you to be the best that you can be.

Codeup is a fast pace, fast learning environment. The course work is absolutely geared towards experience being greater than theory. You'll have hands on knowledge of the things you're learning very soon after hearing about them for the first time. Something I've seen in the tech world post Codeup is college graduates come into the work force having written papers about the concepts which Codeup students have worked with directly. It's been my experience that a Codeup grad will outclass the vast majority of college graduates who have had under 3-5 years of experience in the field.

After a short period at Codeup, the pandemic hit. Codeup responded rapidly and kept everyone very well updated on how they would respond to the pandemic. Shortly after it became clear CVOID would be a threat to have students stay in the building, Codeup made the decision to move to remote, and the transition from local learning to remote was very smooth. This for me showed that Codeup was committed to keeping our education on track, while ensuring the safety of its students.

My time at Codeup was short, but those 5 months felt like a year of growth, learning, and extreme productivity. If you're wondering if Codeup is worth it, I assure you it is.

• Nick  User Photo
    Nick • Data Engineer • Verified via LinkedIn
    Codeup changed my life.

As a single father of three, I saw the ceiling in my (then) current occupation and wanted better for my family.  So in a matter of three weeks, I went from running job sites in construction to sitting at a desk in a room full of people half my age and eager to learn.

The curriculum is rigorous: in five months you go from having only heard of 'The Cloud' to becoming completely proficient working within it.  To say it was 'like drinking water from a firehose' would be a disservice to firehoses, but the staff... oh, man.  The staff is phenomenal.

From top to bottom, the minute you walk into Codeup (or remote in, depending on the situation), you are welcomed as an individual, and not just as a student.  The lectures are practical and straight-forward (hilarious, even) and each professor codes live, so you get to see the coding process first-hand from talented and competent individuals.  They are warm and approachable, and welcome real-time feedback throughout the day.

Yes, the tools you learn are powerful and applicable, but - more importantly - they teach you HOW to learn other languages / programs when you get to your new job.  Since Codeup emphasizes embracing coding mishaps as part of the fun, learning new software and programming languages is much, much easier, and the transition to your new work team is that much faster.

And on the 'job' part: they are sincerely committed to placing you after your graduation from their program.  Before your final project, you are coached on your resume and interview skills, even having mock technical interviews with staff who aren't afraid to ask really tough questions.  Within the first one or two weeks, you are being interviewed by people from both large and small companies who are actually excited to talk to you.  Codeup's reputation is solid, and employers all over the place are waiting for the new crop of grads to take their companies to the next level.

There are other schools out there, sure, but none of them could possibly match the service and commitment of the entire Codeup Team.  Best money I ever spent on my education, and my life is immensely better because of it.
  • Career Accelerator
    - 4/20/2021
    David Wederstrandt  User Photo
    David Wederstrandt • Data Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    You have a degree, so now what?
    Endless emails or online job applications with no response?
    What about your resume, does it pass the initial test?

This was my story and it became very frustrating.

I felt like I needed something more, so I started taking self-paced, online courses. Some were ok but when I was stuck, the only form of communication was the online community and help was hit or miss. A lot of times the versions that were used, were different than what I had installed. Basically, to do pretty much anything was a waiting game.

That was when my VR&E rep told me about CodeUp. At first, I was like, ‘not another bootcamp’. But, CodeUp was different for me, for the initial walkthrough to graduation, they were there for you. The staff explains everything about the school and what is expected. CodeUp even has free weekend workshops so you can get a feel for how the course will be, including the instructors.

The instructors, what can be said, they are amazing. They are not there just to show you how it is done, but through real-world projects, ensure you know how to do it. CodeUp is not a paint-by-numbers, challenging but the result is very rewarding.

The projects are ones you will see in your life as a Data Scientist and they are great talking points on your resume. Plus, you individual passion projects you will find yourself doing, will be both rewarding and satisfying.

On top of all of this, the business department works for you like no other. From helping you to create an amazing, eye-catching resumes, to the tireless refers to great job post.

Thank you, CodeUp.
  • Pandemic-Proof
    - 4/5/2021
    Ronnel Palencia  User Photo
    Ronnel Palencia • Jr. Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the first class of Codeup's Full Stack Web Development in Dallas. We started the cohort near the end of Feb 2020 and 2 weeks later the pandemic lockdown started where we transition to fully remote. Based on my own experience, they still delivered the necessary instructions and training necessary to become a successful developer.

After graduating, job interviews were lined up from Codeup's job network. They prepared us for the interviews during the course with mock interviews and resume assistance from our career coach - make sure to listen to them and follow the process. Overall, I truly enjoyed the experience and the curriculum, and the skills that I gained from their instructions are valueable to my current job as a software engineer. Please reach out to me if you have any specific questions or just want to chat. I also looked at Course Report prior to deciding on the coding bootcamps and want to help anyone on the fence :)
  • Alec Hartman  User Photo
    Alec Hartman • Financial Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Codeup is world-class in the three primary criteria one should consider when evaluating a technical school.

The instructors are seasoned data scientists with expertise in a variety of fields including computer science, business intelligence, machine learning, education, and engineering. The Codeup data science staff are true partners of their students spurring their pupils on towards excellence throughout program and making time for mentorship thereafter. These folks are exceptionally talented data scientists, invaluable mentors, and compassionate teachers who take a genuine interest in their students. You will be ready to excel in your next career thanks to the instruction provided by Zach, Maggie, Ryan, Faith, and Ravinder.

The curriculum offered at Codeup is highly relevant and constantly evolving in accordance with the ever-changing data science landscape. You will learn the ins and outs of technical tools like Git, SQL, python, Jupyter Notebooks, and Tableau while applying your new skill set to various projects designed to emulate real business problems. By the conclusion of the course you will have gained competencies in applied data science methodologies such as Classification, Regression, Clustering, Time Series, and Natural Language Processing to name a few.

Perhaps most importantly, Codeup's primary differentiator among the vast landscape of coding bootcamps is their corporate development/placement team and policies. Codeup is no joke. If you don't find a job within six months of graduation they guarantee a full refund of your tuition. But let's be honest, you're primary ambition is not getting effectively free world-class data science instruction. You're considering Codeup because of the hope of a new opportunity that awaits you on the other side of the program. The money back guarantee merely aligns your interest of getting a great new job with Codeup's interest in getting you placed in that job, which is exactly what Stephen and his team are for! You will be primed for your job search thanks to the professional development component of this program. You will not only craft a resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile updated with your new skills, but you will also have the opportunity to show off your knowledge during mock interviews and, of course, during your capstone presentations on Data Scientist Day (an event designed to showcase your talents to an audience of Codeup's network of employer partners).

Finally, Codeup is not like other bootcamps where you sign an income sharing agreement (ISA) based on your future salary. Codeup is not in business to be a hindrance to your career. Codeup's primary ambition is your success. Codeup is the Yoda to your Jedi in training.

Come ready to learn, open to constructive criticism, and full of ambition each day and you will be bound for success!
  • Codeup or Shut Up
    - 12/11/2020
    Chase Thompson  User Photo
    Chase Thompson • Business Insights Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    You're sitting there considering four or five different options - not even bootcamps or coding accelerators.

Should I go back to university?

Should I just try to get another job?

Should I go to this bootcamp or that one?

You've made Pros and Cons lists, you've talked it over with everyone that will listen to you babble on about it again and again. My simple message to you, Codeup or Shut Up.

Codeup's exceptional experience starts during the admission process. The first thing you'll realize when you start the process is how much everyone cares about you and your outcome - which is key. The admission process is not easy, and the cost to attend Codeup is not cheap. You are not a number to the Codeup team. They fully understand the investment you are making in your future by considering Codeup, which is reflected from the first conversation you have with them.

After you've made it into the program, you're given extensive pre-work to do prior to starting with your cohort - which is important, and shouldn't worry you. It is difficult, but is laid out in a way to prepare you for your time at Codeup. Once you start it is a whirlwind of daily introductions to new concepts, techniques, methodologies, and technologies. It is a testament to the incredible instructors that all of this is not insurmountable, but manageable.

Have you ever found yourself trying to learn guitar from a friend that's an amazing player, yet they can't seem to translate their knowledge and ability to you in any discernible way? That is the problem with so many bootcamps and accelerators. Those teaching are knowledgable and capable, but translating that information is the game-changer. Codeup has data scientist practitioners, that also have the teaching chops to backup the skills. The curriculum is incredibly robust, but what sets it apart is all the practical, real data science work that you'll do. Having been in the industry now, I can tell you that there is a massive difference in knowing facts and trivia, and really being able to put in the work, AND THEN PRESENT THAT WORK. The number of data scientists that I've seen coming out of other bootcamps, accelerators, or universities that can't speak professionally, with business focused insights, about the work they've done is crazy. Codeup teaches you what it means to be a professional, doing real world data science.

Now we'll touch base on what you've all really come here for, dat job tho. I would put Codeup's placement team up against absolutely anyone else's, and expect nothing less than pure domination. I'll let them talk about guarantees of delivery, what they plan to do, etc. What I'll tell you is, all they are focused on is YOUR OUTCOME. At the end of my time with Codeup, the world was eyeballs deep in a pandemic. Unemployment and jobless numbers were looking bleak. Was it easy to find a role straight away? Sure it happened for some of those in my cohort - many in fact. That wasn't the case for me. But, Codeup's placement team was in lockstep with my  tenacious and effort because they were focused on my outcome. During what many would consider a tumultuous time, Codeup's placement team was there with employer partner introductions, interview prep assistance, feedback on resumes and cover letters, and so much more. They were never further away than a text, Slack message, or phone call.

To this day, I still marvel at the time and effort everyone took along the way. From the free workshops, that got Codeup on my radar (btw, definitely attend those!!!), to the help understanding financial aid assistance from the admissions team, to the instructors, the placement team... that time the CEO came into a breakout room and talked with a few of us for almost an hour. Its an organization that runs with care for the tech community from the top-down, and it shows in every way possible.

In my cohort we had people with degrees in mechanical engineering, former NSA analyst, an all-source intelligence analyst, a guy that played guitar in a band professional for a decade, a former stand-up comedian, etc. Myself, I have an extensive background in marketing and business development - without a degree. They can't do any of it for you, you have to come in and work your face off. You will be uncomfortable most of the time. You'll learn new programming languages, statistical methodologies, data science techniques and technologies. You'll do it in a truncated timeframe. But, if you are as dedicated and focus on your outcome as Codeup is, you'll make it through to the end with the skills and ability to achieve great things in a career as a data scientist.

If you want to become a data scientist that can hit the ground running within any organization lucky enough to have you, then Codeup should be number one on your list of considerations.
  • Life Changing
    - 12/4/2020
    Jada Shipp  User Photo
    Jada Shipp • Business Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This program is AMAZING! I had no previous tech experience and Codeup brought me up to speed quickly and thoroughly. The instructors are experienced, thoughtful and deliberate about everything they do. Every single assignment, presentation, exercise, line of code I wrote had a distinct purpose. Codeup as a unit is flexible and reacted to the changing work environment due to COVID with real finesse while still delivering quality "hands on" instruction. The staff and instructors actually care about getting to know you, fostering your strengths and smoothing out your weaknesses. They are open to feedback and actually act on it in real time in the interest of their students. The placement team at Codeup up and especially Stephen Salas deserve a big pat on the back. He worked tirelessly around the clock, starting before I even graduated, to help me (and the rest of my cohort) land amazing jobs despite all the roadblocks put up by the pandemic. That's the true value of Codeup. They don't just teach you what you need to know, they help you use it in real life at an actual job. Last year I had no career and no clue what I was going to do. This year I have a career path I'm stoked about and it's all thanks to the hard work of everyone at Codeup.
  • Jonathan Lemman  User Photo
    Jonathan Lemman • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Im not very good at writing my thoughts but here it goes. I started on my coding journey about 2 years ago, I like many others went the self taught route to save money. After about 1 year of self learning I was having the hardest time getting in front of employers and many of the recruiters even ask if I heard about coding bootcamps. So many months pass by and I see the Codeup billboard which I then wonder over the next few weeks if its for me. My wife and I look into it to discover the price which scared me away instantly because of some schools on the news that took others money year back (no name drops here). I was able to get my wife on board by begging her to take a shot on it and hopefully on the best investment for my future. The best investment I have ever made!!! The course is 20 weeks which went by way to fast and I built so many great relationships. I graduated Dec. 2019 and started working for one of the biggest companies in SA a month later. Today I make about 5x what I use to make and I work remotely. I am living the dream and I cant stress this enough. Codeup has changed my life in such a way that I cant even put it into words really. All I can say is thank you for all that ya'll have done for me. I am building my first home which will be done in about 6 month and this was all because of Codeup. I will continue sending everyone I know there to help change their lives like mine was changed. P.S. Some other bootcamps actually hire Codeup students to teach their classes. So if your looking for a bootcamp I would take the one that builds teachers for other bootcamps. Just my thought.
  • Joaquin Andres Silva  User Photo
    Joaquin Andres Silva • Software Engineer Analyst • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Codeup changed my life!

Prior to Codeup, I had been working as an administrative assistant in a law office for 9 years managing case files and drafting legal documents. Although I enjoyed seeing the difference I was making in helping people in difficult situations, I knew that law school wasn't for me and that I was no longer growing at work. I had a job, but I was missing a career.

So, I started searching for a new career field that was in high demand, and I eventually came across the IT industry. Realizing how diverse the IT industry actually is, I discovered the allure of web development. Web development seemed so fun, and I learned it was a field that is accessible and achievable without the need for a 4 year degree due to the existence of coding bootcamps. Researching bootcamps in the country for web development, I discovered that by fate, I had access to a bootcamp in my own city of San Antonio, Texas.

Contacting Codeup was extremely easy, and I was invited right away to come take a tour of their facilities and to see the classes. I witnessed the teachers instructing the students and observed the students as they were working through their exercises and asking follow up questions and receiving additional guidance from the instructors. The instructors even came out to greet me and allowed me to ask them any questions I had about the curriculum and the bootcamp in general. I was extremely impressed with the learning environment and the knowledge of the instructors. I knew this is where I needed to be.

I enrolled in the 20 week Web Development Full Stack Java program, where I learned about so many fundamental and integral pieces of web development, from different computer programming languages, to computer programming and testing tools, to creating real applications and even presenting the product in a demo to potential employers. The experience and curriculum was first rate, and the instructors were amazing!

Not only did Codeup "teach me how to fish" by providing me with the knowledge, tools, and confidence to always continue learning, they also worked with potential employers who would interview the students for potential job positions. One of these interviews led to me receiving a job offer from a large company that offers fantastic opportunities for self-improvement, training, and certifications in various IT technologies.

Although I absolutely love and enjoy my coding job and all the freedom and support I have from my company to grow my skills, most of all, I love that I finally have a career I can truly call my own. For that, I have Codeup to thank.

Codeup Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 56 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 4% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.