codeup-logo

Codeup

Codeup

Codeup is an immersive 20-week, in-person full stack web development and data science career accelerator in San Antonio, Texas. The Full Stack Web Development Java program covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Spring, and MySQL. The Data Science Program covers Python, SQL, data visualization, data analytics, data wrangling, and statistics. Codeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation, contact Codeup directly to learn more about their refund program.

Prospective students must submit a brief online application, interview with the Codeup team, and then pass a 40-minute test covering word problems, logic problems, and basic algebra. The application process is looking for three things: professionalism, motivation, and problem-solving ability. The most successful Codeup students are prepared to jump into careers as developers and data scientists, have a true motivation to become developers and enjoy the challenge of solving complex problems.

Codeup has a dedicated staff, employer network, and community partnerships to help students land entry-level positions in software development or data science. Students receive help on the job search through workshops, job fairs, and one-on-one support to navigate the tech industry.

Recent Codeup Reviews: Rating 4.69

all (16) reviews for Codeup →

Recent Codeup News

Read all (7) articles about Codeup →
  • Data Science

San Antonio
    Codeup Data Science is an 18-week, immersive career accelerator to prepare individuals for entry­-level and mid-level jobs as data scientists, data analysts, data engineers, or other data related positions. Students will learn to collect, clean, analyze, model, and communicate data using mathematics, statistics, and programming through a project-based learning method. Codeup will assist with job placement to help graduates find work within 6 months, or we’ll refund 50% tuition.
    A $1,000 is required up front to reserve your seat in class, and that cost is deducted from your overall cost of tuition.
    We offer financing through our two loan partners, SkillsFund and Climb.
    We offer over $25,000 in scholarships to each cohort to women in tech, minorities, LGBTQIA individuals, veterans, first responders, and relocators.
    Background in a combination of math, stats, programming, business experience, and strong written/verbal communication. Our admissions process will gather a variety of data points to ensure each student will be successful in our program!
    Interview
  • Full-Stack Web Development - Java

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End
    San Antonio
    Codeup is a full-stack, career-focused coding bootcamp located in San Antonio, Texas. At Codeup, we focus on two things: you and your success. Find a job within six months of graduation, or get 50% of your tuition returned.
    $1000 (part of total tuition cost)
    Codeup offers a wide variety of financing:VA benefitsFinancing through SkillsFund and ClimbGrants through Project Quest, Workforce Solutions Alamo, DARS, and TechWorks
    Refund / Guarantee
    If you don’t find work within 6 months of graduation, Codeup will refund 50% of your tuition.
    $10,000 in scholarships to Women in Tech. $10,000 in scholarships to Minorities in Tech. $1,000 scholarships to LGBTQIA+, Veterans, Relocators, and First Responders.
    Basic Computer Knowledge
    Online pre-work in HTML, CSS and JavaScript
    Interview

• chris  User Photo
    chris • Cloud Solution Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TLDR – No brainer for veterans using the GI Bill or Vocational Rehab.

Personal Outcome – Hired with major tech organization.

Cohort Outcome – 23/28 Graduated, 21/23 placed within 8 weeks of graduation.

I told myself that I wouldn’t write a review until I was employed and working. I didn’t want “honeymoon haze” to have an effect of skewing my thoughts on the experience as a whole.

If you are reading this to decide if it’s worth your time or money, that depends on your personal financial situation. For a military veteran using the GI Bill or Vocational Rehab, it is absolutely worth every cent. Mostly because you’ll get paid to attend class and learn a skill worth having. If you’re paying out of pocket or through loans, that can be a much trickier proposition.

Do not be fooled by the ridiculous starting salaries advertised by other boot camps.  Those amounts easily equate to the average of ~$55k San Antonio offers. The primary reason for this is cost of living adjustment. So, if you think you’re going to make $80-$100k fresh out of Codeup with no prior experience or college degree, think again. In fact, due to the enormous talent pool of qualified candidates and limited number of positions, not having a college degree (regardless of field) can really hurt you in the San Antonio market. You have much less in the way of bargaining and have to consider the idea of taking a much lower than desired salary just to get the coveted experience companies crave.

Engagement beyond graduation is more than you could ask for and also worth the investment. Follow-on cohorts may have a different experience, but my review is based off working with Stephen who was in charge of employer relations. On top of the volunteer opportunities, job fairs, workshops, and meetups, additional interviews were also coordinated by Stephen. He did everything in his power to find opportunities with employers. In total, I had 8 phone interviews and 5 in-person interviews. Out of the 5, I received offers from 2. I might’ve been able to secure an additional 2 offers, but my interviewing/negotiating skills were rusty and poorly researched (see above about salary expectations).

The instructors at Codeup are the main reason to choose a structured approach versus self-taught. Having access to someone intimately familiar with the curriculum whenever you need pays dividends when trying to grasp tricky concepts. The instructors almost make you believe they are wizards with special membership rings that give them coding powers. But with that being said, it is important to curb your expectations. The instructors are experts on the curriculum they teach and their individual expertise outside of the curriculum. This means that trying to test them with obscure coding challenges that have zero relevance to the real world is utterly pointless. This leads into the curriculum.

The curriculum is relatively up to date given the breakneck speed development moves. You will learn HTML, CSS, JS (ES5 and ES6), Java 8, Spring, MySQL, and a little bit of Bash. You will learn just enough of each of these to be dangerous, but not even close to mastery. You will find yourself asking why you’re using x framework, or y library, but the truth is, just do it. Development is complex enough as is, you don’t need to try to reinvent the wheel just to say that your project uses no libraries. As the projects get more difficult, no one gives a shit if you use jquery or lodash or bootstrap or whatever to make your project. As long as the final product is functional, feature complete, and relatively bug free, use whatever you can to save yourself time!

With all of that being said, manage your expectations. Special wizard rings are not issued upon graduation. You will spend 4 months learning many dialects of many languages. Equate that to learning French, German, Arabic, Spanish, and Japanese in 4 months. Your level of mastery will be reflected in much the same way. You will gravitate towards one more than the other, and become more proficient the more you use it. At the end of the day, Codeup was well worth it for me and several of my cohort mates would agree.

• Natalie • Assistant Development Manager • Student

I had a great experience with Codeup and shortly after graduating, I had a job offer.  I think the staff really cares about making their students happy and are always trying find new ways to make the program better.

I would say that the program is what you make of it.  If you go in with a serious mindset and code on the weekends and the evenings, you'll get a lot out of it.  I can't say the same for some of the my fellow classmates - a few of them just did enough to get by.

Also, I must also mention that I already have a degree and a background in technology so I looked at Codeup as a way to add to my skillset.  It's a great program but won't replace a degree.  Overall, I had a really great experience and learned a lot.  I'd recommend it to anyone looking to make some changes in their career.

Unfortunately I don't recommend program to anyone. I had high hopes going in but finished disappointed. Curriculum and class time very disorganized. Most of the time they asked you to figure it out on your own. They don't know how to teach and the assignments don't build on each other. You leave class with a weak foundation and a bare bones portfolio. I've learned more from videos on the internet than at Codeup. Also they pay students for reviews. So watch out. They are closer to a technology frat than an educational institution, since they are better at networking and parties than teaching. All the instructors and staff are wonderful people so no hard feelings. I just think skeptical people should know the truth.  It was the only bootcamp in town up until this year so take a look at the other options.

• Totally worth it!
    - 2/17/2016
    Sakib Shaikh • Web Developer • Student

Codeup is definitely worth the time and money. The staff really cares about its students, and are always looking to help.

It is a great place to network because Codeup and Geekdom are the centers of gravitation for the San Antonio tech scene.

If you want to learn about Coding, and Tech, Codeup is where to begin.

Covered HTML, CSS in the first few classes and spent a majority of time learning Javascript. APIs, PhP and builders like WordPress were touched on. Overall the instructors were very helpful along with the staff. The class was fairly small making it easier to get your questions answered and have a bit of one on one time. They did their best to make the dullest of topics fun and interesting. It was well worth the cost for anyone trying to break into coding services.

• Don't Hesitate
    - 8/23/2015

If you are contemplating going to Codeup, don't hesitate.  Great course material and knowledgable instructors make for great outcomes.  Be prepared to work hard and come out prepared for a career change!

• Margaret • Student

I went there after being unhappy and unfulfilled in my current situation. I went there during their Oct 2014 course. It was a great decision. A strong curriculum is provided, ample of time to study and stay after class to concentrate on your work or just do additional studying. It can seem a bit like being in college studying hard with a side of socializing. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a career change or just want to seriously learn the skills for web development

• Ryan Dinesman • SAP Software Engineer

I spent a few years as a computer science major, and I have to say that I learned more practical skills in Codeup than I did in school.

The instuctors are very thorough and helpful, and legitimately love their job. And best of all, within days of completion, I was getting interviews.

If you are planning on doing Codeup, and have some coding experience, you might find some of the earlier sections slow. However, the instructors will be more than happy to point you to extra exercises.

10/10, would definitely do again.

• Life-Changing!
    - 6/30/2015
    Jamie Haskell • PHP Software Engineer • Graduate

I have been told by several Computer Science majors that I learned more in 16 weeks than they did in 2 years of university course work!

I chose Codeup out of all the bootcamps in the country because they felt like an actual school - not a for-profit business - who honestly cared about my education and ability to effectively enter the programming career field. The instructors are incredibly dedicated to their students and are constantly improving the curriculum to cater to their students' and the markets' needs. And everyone involved in the program has such strong connections in the tech community that finding potential employers was incredibly easy; I had 2 job offers within a week of graduating, simply because they knew the program and respected and trusted those involved!

I was very hesitant to change careers at first, but this has been a life-changing experience and I have absolutely no regrets. This was 100% the right decision.

• Mike Villarreal • Web Developer • Graduate

I will describe Codeup as an awesome experience. The instructors are brilliant, and the flow of the program was really great. There are also great social events in and around the school you can attend.
    I would highly recommend the program if you are serious about learning and have the discipline to stick through it. For anyone thinking of changing careers, it is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

• Brandon Beidel • Software Developer • Graduate

After years working as a business analyst for a software company, going back and learning the skills to go from 'Hey this is what we should make' to 'Hey this is a good idea lets start putting it together' is one of the most empowering things I've ever had the opportunity to do.   The work is not easy, but neither is the profession if you want to do it well.   I've been working as a full time developer for well over a year now and don't regret the decision.  Codeup had phenomenal instructors, a concentrated curriculum, and an intense program to help separate the wheat from the chaff.  I would do it all over again with little hesitation.

• Jaime Velasco • Front End Web Developer • Graduate

Graduated from Codeup a bit over a year ago, I had little experience in Web Development and wouldn's have dared applying for a job in the industry. During the course we learned a lot about writing code, but most importantly, Codeup taught us how to learn on our own. To this day I still check my notes from class. The course itself was challenging and covered a whole lot.

Everyone at Codeup has been extremely helpful, the instructors were always open and insightful, not just dropping the answer but helping me find it myself. Codeup has become a community that I'm happy to belong to. They have made it clear that they are still there for me, in case I need help with some code or if I want to explore other job opportunities.  That means a lot to me!

I have nothing but good memories from Codeup. Recommended 100%.

• Worth every penny
    - 4/10/2015
    Paul • Graduate

I was on the fence about attending a bootcamp and I couldn't be happier with choosing Codeup. Codeup was a fantastic experience. They do a great job of keeping the classes small and filled with smart people with very diverse backgrounds.

The staff is amazing and does a great job of creating a positive atmosphere. Teachers and T.A.'s were always available and very knowledgable.  They don't just teach you how to code here. They really lay out the groundwork on how to network, and be part of your local developers community. The lunchtime speakers and Meetups after class were always fun to take advantage of. I met a lot of great people and made as many friends.

You will be pushed to learn a lot in a short amount of time. You have to be willing to put in the work to get anything out of this course!
  • Paul Kuzma

Codeup was an excellent experience.  The work is intense, but very rewarding and does a marvelous job preparing you to become a web developer.  I have a friend who is a 10-year software developer, and after looking at my portfolio, he told me that I am on the same level he was as a programmer after two years of self-teaching.

• Great Class!
    - 2/5/2015
    Donovan Becker • Web Developer • Graduate

I really enjoyed the environment and the intense pace. The teachers were all great and dependable. We covered many topics in a short period, but I never really felt too rushed.

• Liz Cole • Graduate

I came to Codeup knowing absolutely zero code, and left so excited to continue learning. They not only teach you the fundamentals of coding, but connect you with people who want to hire you. I found a job a week after leaving Codeup to work for an awesome startup. Codeup has an awesome staff that is fully behind you and your success. They have successfully created an awesome learning atmosphere that creates a great network going into the coding world.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

67% of job obtainers reported salaries.

• 67 enrolled students are covered in this report.
  • View CodeUp’s Detailed Outcomes Summary here.
  • CIRR is a coalition of coding bootcamps that have adopted a standard for reporting, publishing, and marketing student outcomes. Read more about CIRR