USC Viterbi Data Analytics Boot Camp
Applicants do not need programming experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the program is part-time, USC Viterbi Data Analytics Boot Camp is designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.
Throughout the 24-week boot camp, students have access to career-planning services, portfolio reviews, mock interviews and recruiting advice offered by Trilogy Education Services. Graduates will receive a Continuing Education Certificate from the USC Viterbi School of Engineering upon successful completion of the program. In addition, individuals will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of data analytics.
USC Viterbi Data Analytics Boot Camp is powered by Trilogy Education services.
Recent USC Viterbi Data Analytics Boot Camp Reviews: Rating 5.0
Recent USC Viterbi Data Analytics Boot Camp News
In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week24 Weeks
- Start Date
- Rolling Start Date
- Class size
- Los Angeles
- Tuition Plans
- Payment plans available
- Minimum Skill Level
- Prep Work
- Placement Test
USC Viterbi Data Analytics Boot Camp Reviews
2 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
I went into the boot camp with almost zero coding knowledge, with the exception of some CSS/HTML and very light programming experience in JS and C++. I learned more than I could ever have imagined and left the program feeling extremely confident with my skillset. I was amazed at what I was able to do, and left the program feeling more ambitious than ever. At this point, I feel confident in listing every item that was listed on the advertisement for the course on my resume, which is a great feeling. I can't recommend this program enough!
- Excellent staff, support team, and curriculum.
- Convenient class schedule
- You will gain an immense amount of knowledge and experience
- The faculty lectures from industry professionals were a great addition
- Parking is paid, so it is a minor additional cost that isn't included in the tuition.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of USC Viterbi Data Analytics Boot Camp
The short of it: USC does not release data establishing the success rate of this 24-week program. Therefore, it is an untested commodity with a hefty price tag of $12,500. If a program that teaches data analytics cannot substantiate its value with data, then there is something very wrong with the course.
The process of applying: On October 15, 2017, I requested information on USC's website. Within a day, I received a call from an admissions counselor, who asked me about my goals for the program. She told me that the program is for "a select group of  students." She said that if my "career goals align with the program," then I will be allowed to apply. I have to pass an assessment with a score of at least 70 percent, she said. If I am accepted, I can pay to secure a seat in the class.
Tuition: If paid in full by November 25, 2017, the cost is $11,500. After this date, full tuition comes to $12,500.
Credit value: This course terminates in the issuance of a certificate of completion. You do not earn transferable credit.
On-time completion rate: I asked the admissions counselor for the on-time completion rate (how many enrolled students actually complete the program). She said that she did not have substantiating data. She offered anecdotal evidence of filling six classes, but she could not recall if anyone dropped out. (Notice that not recalling whether students dropped out is not the same as knowing that no students dropped out.)
Students employed in the field within nine months of completion: I asked how many students are employed in the field within nine months after completing the program and at what salary. The admissions counselor said that USC does not provide that data because, she said, the school has seen other programs "misrepresent their data." You would think that USC's approach would be to produce more representative data, avoiding the inaccuracies that it sees in other schools' data, but, no, USC has chosen to publish no data, leaving prospective students in the dark about the program's value. I ended the call and explained why I would not be enrolling in the program.
Bottom Line: Avoid this program until USC supports the price tag with verifiable data. Otherwise, you have no reason to expect a return on your investment.
Response From: Elizabeth Francis of USC Viterbi Data Analytics Boot Camp
As we have not yet begun coursework for our inaugural cohort of students, we do not have data pertaining to the number of our students who follow the course to completion. This Boot Camp is designed to guide working professionals in acquiring skills in data analytics and visualization. It is not intended to replace traditional college coursework, but rather to provide hands-on training in a valuable professional skill set. Students' ability to secure a job after program completion relies on their willingness to utilize the resources they are given and take full, active responsibility for their own job search. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at (213) 814-0250 so that I can provide you with any and all assistance possible.