university-of-richmond-boot-camps-logo

University of Richmond Boot Camps

Richmond

University of Richmond Boot Camps

University of Richmond Boot Camps offer 24-week, part-time web development, data analytics, and cybersecurity courses. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, University of Richmond Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Throughout the boot camps, students will have access to career-planning services, resume and portfolio reviews, technical interview training, virtual tech panels, 1:1 coaching, and more. Upon program completion, students will receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Richmond and will have a diverse portfolio of projects in our coding and data analytics programs or skills applicable to certifications in cybersecurity.

University of Richmond Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.83

all (63) reviews for University of Richmond Boot Camps →

Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

Cryptography, Ethical Hacking, Network Security
    LocationRichmond
    University of Richmond Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationRichmond
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, React.js, JavaScript, Node.js, HTML, MongoDB, CSS, Git
    LocationRichmond
    University of Richmond Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.

• $500 University of Richmond Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive University of Richmond Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Richmond)
  • Prince Amponsah  User Photo
    Prince Amponsah • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Overall, a great experience.

I started the boot camp with experience in the field of data analytics and visualization. I worked as Business intelligence analyst looking to further improve on my technical skills and to better understand some industry technologies. I knew excel very well, adequate at SQL and was familiar with Tableau as I used these tools at work. These tools are adequate to get into the data anaytics space but my desire is to get into the Data science space without spending more time and money in a typical college setting. I needed to understand more than just the usual excel/sql/tableau experience I had. I wanted to understand better programming languages and concepts such as Python/R; Big data programs such as spark/Hadoop; Statistical analytics and Machine learning; advance data visualization along with understanding data structures in order to deal with unstructured data issues that many in the industry deal with. This boot camp helped me with that knowledge.

Please go into this understand that THIS IS A BOOT CAMP. This is to say that you WILL require much time needed outside of the classroom to do a lot of much needed self studying and catching up. A lot more than would be required at a typical college setting. There is a lot to cover so it goes by fast. Thankfully, that is mentioned many times before and during the start of the boot camp for anyone enrolled to understand what you are diving into. I did my research, I looked through the curriculum and understood what I was getting myself into and the knowledge I would gain from this journey/experience. And that is exactly what I received.
    Tuesday, Sep 14 2021
    Incredible, Prince! We're glad to hear you benefited from the curriculum and further developed your skillset with a wide range of new technologies. Like you noted, this is a rigorous program that will require extensive time both inside and outside of the classroom. As such we commend all your hard work and commitment to your studies. Congratulations on completing the program and thank you for your review! Best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Eliot Cleveland  User Photo
    Eliot Cleveland • Multi-unit Manager • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Data viz oriented course with sections on Python, its associated libraries, HTML, CSS, Java, R, Tableau, Machine Learning and Big Data
    Tuesday, Sep 14 2021
    We appreciate your review, Eliot! It's great to hear you enjoyed the data analytics curriculum. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp! We wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Shaima Jobran  User Photo
    Shaima Jobran • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I started my journey on 12/2020 when I decided to start a new career ,I joined University of Richmond Boot Camp not knowing anything about computers , and now I just finished building my first  React app . it was a great experience ,great support from the instructors and TA . I can't thank you enough for making my dream come true .
    Monday, Aug 09 2021
    We appreciate your review, Shaima! It's great to hear you successfully learned the fundamentals of full stack web development and benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team. Congratulations on completing the program, we're rooting you on in all that you do!
  • Emily Todt  User Photo
    Emily Todt • Student Verified via GitHub
    I started this bootcamp back in November of 2020 and WOW! 6 months sure did fly by. It's really hard to wrap my head around how much I've learned in such a short amount of time. This bootcamp was more than I expected in so many ways. My instructor, Jonathan and my T.A., Ty were amazing! Ty was the go-to guy for questions or help on assignments. Jonathan did the teaching and he really did an amazing job explaining the concepts. That's coming from someone who came in clueless! I met and worked with so many amazing people in my class that I hope to stay in touch with now that it's over. I was assigned a tutor at the beginning of the course (you can change your tutor if you want) and he helped me in SO many ways. Shout out Mr. Itua! He went out of his way in his free time multiple times to help me on my homework assignments, projects, and really just gave me another perspective of the things that we were learning. Also, everything was through Zoom. All of the classes, presentations, tutor sessions. Not sure how that will change once the pandemic is over, but honestly that didn't affect me like I thought it would. I used to think I needed the in-person instruction, but really when it came down to it - I didn't.
    Before the course, I had never coded anything before. I barely knew how to inspect a page. I was a kennel attendant at a doggie daycare. Even though I loved being there with those dogs every day, I knew I didn't want to be there for the rest of my life. I'm 22 and a college dropout (lol) and simply just didn't know what kind of career path I wanted to go down. My mom actually introduced the idea of the IT field to me because it has such a high demand and the pay is normally pretty great. So I started googling and I found this University of Richmond's page full of reviews and wondered if someone like me with no experience would excel in a program like this. If you're reading this right now and not sure if you think you can do it, take it from me... you can. I went from not even knowing what HTML was to building full stack web applications. The work IS hard though and you DO have to spend at least 20 hours outside of class to really understand the all of the different concepts and technologies they're going to teach you. And sometimes you still won't understand it all the way. That was probably one of the hardest things for me. Not knowing EVERYTHING. I always felt like I had to know it all to be the best at something, but in this field you can't think that way. I'm going to spend the rest of my life learning something new every day. LOL. Our course started out with like 25 or so people and we only had about 15 left at the end. I get it. It's not easy, but if you decide to do it, make sure you're ready to make that commitment.
    Google will be your best friend. Their Career Services gives you great feedback on your resume, portfolio, GitHub, and LinkedIn accounts for you to be employer-ready throughout and after the bootcamp! I presented my final project today (woo!) and have talked to a Career Coach one time already. She was nice! We will be keeping in touch every two weeks or so until I have landed a job. I already have an apprenticeship in mind that I'm going to apply for at the beginning of June, so I'm assuming if I don't get that I will be communicating with her more often. Not really sure how that whole process works, but we'll see. Wish me luck! I hope my review has helped you in your decision making, as I was looking for a review like this before I signed up. It turned out to be a great decision for me and I hope you decide to go for it too! Thank you, UofR!
    Tuesday, May 18 2021
    Way to go, Emily! We're happy your virtual classroom experience was delivered successfully and that you benefited from the online format. It's great to hear you benefited from the support of our entire instructional team and couldn't agree more that Jonathan, Ty, and Mr. Itua are pretty amazing.

Our course is built for individuals across a wide range of proficiency levels, ranging from beginners, like yourself, to those with existing experience. Like you mentioned, this is a fast-paced and rigorous course, one that will require extensive time both inside and outside of the classroom. As such, we commend all your hard work and are thrilled you took advantage of the available career services assistance—even after successfully completing the program.

Congratulations on finishing out your boot camp studies, we appreciate your review! We look forward to continuing to provide you professional development assistance and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Fasahath Syeda  User Photo
    Fasahath Syeda • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I definitely enjoyed the course being from computer background. It helped me bridge the employment gap I had. Now I am ready to apply the knowledge I gained in the real world. A great shout out to Tim, Jamie for all the help. The tutoring session helped a lot too. Love the 1 on 1 career sessions available after graduation. Definetly recommend this.
    Friday, Feb 26 2021
    Amazing, Fasahath! We're thrilled you had a positive boot camp experience and that you benefited from the help of our entire team. We also have to agree that Tim and Jamie are pretty fantastic at what they do. Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review! Best of luck moving forward.
  • L.I. Villaranda  User Photo
    L.I. Villaranda • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This was most certainly a challenging course. I enjoyed the way Tim taught the course. To me personally, Jamie and Sara were the most helpful TAs over the course. Christopher, the Student Success Manager, was understanding and offered help when I needed to extend due dates, as well as marking attendance. The course taught me that there are always multiple ways to view a dataset, as well as visualizing it. It also taught me that assumptions should not be made when reviewing a dataset, as it can skew the way you are able to manipulate or even visualize it. I liked a majority of topics we reviewed, but surprisingly, did not enjoy the Tableau week. I'd highly recommend this course for anyone interested analyzing data and perhaps looking for a change of careers.

This program also comes with tutoring services, which I thoroughly appreciated. My tutor, Niharika, was fantastic. She would explain processes, if I did not understand specific functions of language I was working on. Her help was invaluable, as she would review my code when I would get stuck or did not end up with the correct answer. She would even review my projects to make them better and would Zoom call if she felt that it would be easier to explain via actual conversion versus chatting via Slack.

SN: I have yet to fully utilize career services, but plan to do so in the coming weeks. They have reached out multiple times over the program, so I would say that it is an engaging service available to all who are interested.
    Friday, Feb 12 2021
    Incredible, L.I.! We're glad you enjoyed the program and benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team—we couldn't agree more that Tim, Jamie, Sara, Niharika, and Christopher are all pretty fantastic. Great advice for prospective students on taking advantage of all the available resources, including tutoring. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we appreciate your recommendation! We look forward to providing you with career assistance and can't wait to see what you'll accomplish with your newfound skills.
  • Honest word
    - 9/16/2020
    You  User Photo
    You • Student Verified via GitHub
    Teachers demonstrate knowledge of the curriculum and teach accurate, up to date technical information. John shows concern for the students, engages, and supports everyone logically, and clearly,  he establishes a level of difficulty which encourages success.
    I like how materials and resources are presented, the current lessons and previous lessons are always related.

Wednesday, Sep 16 2020
    Amazing, thank you for your review! We're glad you're enjoying the course material and are finding our instructional team to be knowledgeable. We also think that John is not only an amazing teacher but a great supporter of all our students. We wish you all the best as you finish out the boot camp!
  • Cybersecurity
    - 9/12/2020
    Shelia Spurlock-Tupponce  User Photo
    Shelia Spurlock-Tupponce • Program Support Analyst II • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    John is my cybersecurity instructor and he is excellent.  He has in-depth knowledge of the subject matter.  He tends to moves fast through the demo, but he alway asks if there are any questions before proceeding to the activity or the next topic.  He gives great examples or analogies to help us understand the subject.  Lord knows he has the patiences of "Job" and he is never condescending.  He is always uplifting and cheerful.  He and Thor are very supportive and encouraging.  The course is fast paced, but overall I am enjoying the course and I have learned more in this bootcamp than I have working in the field for more than 10 years.
    Wednesday, Sep 16 2020
    Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Shelia! We're happy to hear our instructional team is proving to be valuable throughout your journey and that you're finding your instructor to be uplifting and encouraging. We also agree that John is fantastic. We look forward to helping you through the completion of the boot camp and seeing what you will continue to achieve!
  • Fantastic Course
    - 8/2/2019
    Alexa Oswald  User Photo
    Alexa Oswald • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I highly recommend the coding bootcamp at the University of Richmond. A year ago I knew I wanted to go back to school but a four year bachelors degree seemed out of reach at the time, so the bootcamp was exactly what I needed to get a jump start in the direction I wanted to go. At every turn, the bootcamp exceeded my expectations- the level of instruction, academic support, and career support were well worth my time and the cost of the progam. I was really drawn to the coding bootcamp because the subject matter was concentrated on what I was looking to learn, and the career services help throughout the course and up to three months after graduation. This was my first venture into the tech field and it was really difficult jumping in without prior experience, but I learned so much and career services helped with interview skills, networking, my resume, and my portfolio, so right after graduation I was applying for and interviewing for positions. Just over a month after the bootcamp ended I started as a software developer and I love the work that I do now and I'm so glad I went through the coding bootcamp.

Thursday, Aug 08 2019
    We appreciate your review, Alexa! We're glad to hear you had a positive student experience and felt supported throughout every step of the way. We commend all your hard work and are thrilled you were able to successfully transition into a new career path. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in all your future endeavors!
  • Allie  User Photo
    Allie • Data Quality Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended the Full Stack Web Development boot camp at UR for a career switch. I used to be a high school science teacher and I simply didn't love that job. I decided to complete the boot camp and career switch in motivation to find a job and work that I truly felt passionate about.

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, and it has allowed me to make a huge transition in my life! The total program really does help you if you're interested in switching careers, simply getting started with web development coding languages, or if you're just interested in learning new things quickly.

While the boot camp moves very fast and can be very demanding, this program is incredibly supportive - something that was very important to me. Before and after every class are office hours where the instructor and TA's are around to help answer questions, debug your work, and provide any other advice/assistance through the whole program and process. My instructor was absolutely incredible and a very skilled teacher. You also have access to a wide variety of career service tools and resources, as well as a Student Success Manager who came to my rescue a few times through the tough course!

The curriculum is great for absolute beginners, moves fast, and is kept current through minor changes as the current job market shifts in Richmond, VA. They truly want to do everything they can to set you up to be employable at the conclusion of the program.

It became obvious that you will always only get what you put into your coursework. Ultimately, you to decide how detailed your education of the content is going to be during this program. You aren't babied through the program, and your hand isn't held through every line of code. Otherwise it would be impossible to get through this program in a timely manner. At first it was intimidating for me and several of my peers to throw ourselves into a program that demands so much self-advocacy. Fairly quickly, though, I figured out a routine and got into a groove. Therefore, I also needed to continue to push myself to do my best. I found this aspect to be an incredibly valuable learning experience.

After graduation you still get access to career service resources that were also very valuable to me. This provided a support system as well as an unbiased source for advice through the job hunting process. Much like the boot camp coursework, you will have to put in the work to find a job because nobody can do this for you. Still, they offer a variety of advice focused on this industry that helped me land a job one month upon graduation

Some areas for improvement for this program:
    1. Curriculum: In 6 months it's very difficult to learn things thoroughly unless you have copious amounts of free time. It's also not the goal of the boot camp to automatically become an expert in every/any topic. They teach you jQuery at a very early point and it helps beginner coders create things faster and feel good about their progress. However, the cost of this was not learning vanilla JavaScript as well as employers would like to see. Similarly, it would help students be more competitive in the job market to have a more in-depth focus on MySQL/MongoDB.
    2. Career Services: Overall this department is great. However, the video sessions aren't as helpful as I thought they would be (at least to me).
    3. Demo Night: This is a super important day/night where you present your final project to potential employers. It would be helpful if the program could bring in professionals from a larger variety of companies to further help those of us new to this industry network our way into that first job. I wasn't disappointed in the turn out for my demo night, but I think this could be improved. The night has such significance that bringing in more companies and professionals would certainly help all students land jobs faster upon graduation.

Overall, if you are in the Richmond, VA area this is the best coding boot camp you will find that has classes in person! It's remarkable how much I've learned and grown throughout this program, and I'm super grateful for the overall experience!

Tuesday, Jun 11 2019
    Thanks so much, Allie! We're happy you were able to discover a career path you're truly passionate about. It's great to know you utilized all the boot camp's resources and found our entire team to be supportive throughout your journey. Great advice for prospective students—you get what you put into the course, so dedicating extensive time to mastering the material will truly help you succeed. We're always looking to optimize our offerings, so we appreciate all your helpful feedback. Congratulations on completing the boot camp, we wish you all the best moving forward!
  • Patrick Lehmann  User Photo
    Patrick Lehmann • Associate Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before coming to the U of R Coding Bootcamp, I was working as a natural gas mechanic. I knew that something had to change because I was unhappy in my previous role but didn't know where to start looking for something knew. I wanted a career I was passionate about, not just a way to pay to the bills. I had seen friends go to coding bootcamps and come out with successful careers and it intrigued me. After some research of my own, I made a decision to sign up myself. From the beginning of the course, I was challenged and kept interested by the workload. The instructors made coming to class fun and interesting, and I looked forward to completing my assignments. The most important skill I had recieved from the bootcamp was to learn how to learn. Technologies change so fast and its important to be able to pivot from one technology, library or framework to another. I was able to take my desirable skillset and within 3 months of graduation, I was offered a position of Associate Software Developer at Homes.com in Norfolk, VA. I am very grateful for everyone from the bootcamp who helped me along the way and would definitely recommend this course to others.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Way to go, Patrick! We're thrilled you chose our program to make a significant career change. We're glad you looked forward to working on your assignments and enjoyed the support of our instructional team. Congratulations on graduating and your exciting new role! We're confident you'll go on to do great things with your newfound web development skills.
  • Charles Gilker  User Photo
    Charles Gilker • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This course provided me with a very solid jumping off point to begin an exciting career in tech. Through the curriculum you will develop sought after skills, learn the fundamentals of multiple coding languages, and develop projects that will demonstrate your ability to potential employers. While the pace of the class was brutal, the excellent support staff, instructors and TAs will make sure you succeed. After completing the flex fullstack program I was contacted by the CIO of my employer to work as a consultant on a large UI/UX project being developed by the agency. My certification along with the large collection of projects created during the bootcamp were cited as key factors as to why i was sought out. I am now hoping to aid in the pursuits of other other perspective developers by working as a substitute teaching assistant for the program. All in all, this program was a wise investment that has greatly altered my future career trajectory.
    Friday, Feb 22 2019
    Thank you for sharing your journey, Charles! We're glad you enjoyed the curriculum and benefited from our entire team's support. We appreciate you returning to TA for us and continuing to assist other students. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you the best in all your coding goals!