university-of-richmond-boot-camps-logo

University of Richmond Boot Camps

Richmond

University of Richmond Boot Camps

University of Richmond Boot Camps offer 24-week, part-time web development, data analytics, and cybersecurity courses. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, University of Richmond Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Throughout the boot camps, students will have access to career-planning services, resume and portfolio reviews, technical interview training, virtual tech panels, 1:1 coaching, and more. Upon program completion, students will receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Richmond and will have a diverse portfolio of projects in our coding and data analytics programs or skills applicable to certifications in cybersecurity.

University of Richmond Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.83

all (72) reviews for University of Richmond Boot Camps →

Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

Cryptography, Ethical Hacking, Network Security
    LocationRichmond
    University of Richmond Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationRichmond
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, React.js, JavaScript, Node.js, HTML, MongoDB, CSS, Git
    LocationRichmond
    University of Richmond Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.

• $500 University of Richmond Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive University of Richmond Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Richmond)
  • Excellent Course!
    - 4/18/2022
    George Kasper  User Photo
    George Kasper • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I am very happy with my decision to enroll in University of Richmond’s Cybersecurity Bootcamp. I have no previous experience working in IT so I was a bit concerned with making a career change. From the first week of class I felt like I had found what I was looking for, a program to set me up for an entry level position in cybersecurity.

John Hui has been my instructor for this Bootcamp. He is very knowledgable on the topics covered and is willing to give real-world examples to help you learn. John is a master at giving you just enough knowledge to find answers on your own. Often a cryptic response to your question will lead you to an “Aha!” moment. This sense of discovery is very gratifying and pushes me to learn more. Truly an amazing teacher!

During the course I learned many new concepts about Cybersecurity and got hands-on experience with all kinds of software. The syllabus will guide you through controlling a computer in the command line to building an entire functional cloud system and beyond.

The course materials, assignments, projects, and career resources are a complete package. From the start, I feel I’ve had what I needed to succeed. Everyone with the Bootcamp has been very professional and more than helpful. Never did I feel like I couldn't ask a question. Even though I still have another week in the course, I am confident I have the skills to find my desired position. I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to break into the Cybersecurity field.
    Wednesday, Apr 27 2022
    Amazing, George! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We're thrilled to hear you're benefitting from the support of our instructional team and couldn't agree more that John is pretty incredible. We're glad you've been enjoying the curriculum and utilizing all the available boot camp resources. Congratulations on successfully completing the course in just a few short days! We're rooting you on in all your future cybersecurity endeavors.
  • Beverly Akinfolajimi  User Photo
    Beverly Akinfolajimi • Mental Health Case Manager • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    The main purpose of starting at the University of Richmond Cybersecurity Boot camp program was to make a change in my current career. I needed a fast pace but well-rounded and structured environment where I could learn, but yet be challenged and leave being confident and ready for the new career path I will be embarking on, and I got that and much more.
    John added value to being in this program by getting me out of my comfort zone and showing the importance of challenging myself, and not being afraid of making mistakes. Someone once said, "a comfort zone is comfortable, but it doesn't bring change". John brought change to every class session from the first day of class until the very last class. On the first day of class, John mentioned how important time is in general, but also in this program, and I was determined to respect that statement as he is a role model of being on time and organized. This was a significant change for me especially because I knew that I might be inconsistent with keeping to time, but I was able to accomplish that goal. Other changes include the drive, zeal, and inspiration of knowing and understanding the subject matter before and after every class. I had zero knowledge about the cybersecurity field, but as we built on each class, I went from being nervous to being confident. That's how effective John's style of teaching is. it's phenomenal! John asks questions, he doesn't just give you answers because he wants his students to understand. He patiently makes you think for yourself, until you figure things out, but be prepared along the way to embarrass yourself in a good way when he begins to ask you questions (I've been there and done that, but I was excited when I finally figured things out). I have learned that questions make you ask more questions, which lead to an intelligent answer no matter how it comes out. John stands out as an excellent instructor because he enriches the curriculum with the excitement he brings to each class. He is always available and responds promptly to messages at any time of the day even outside office hours. John treats students according to each of their needs, as he takes the time to understand each student's personality to relate to them effectively. To summarize this all up, if anyone else asked me for a recommendation for John as an instructor, my answer will be:
    John fully understands what he teaches which transcends to all his students, it will be one of the best choices you ever made.
    Wednesday, Apr 27 2022
    We appreciate you sharing your boot camp experience, Beverly! It's great to hear you've successfully learned the fundamentals of cybersecurity and enjoyed the course. Our entire instructional team is truly passionate about enabling student success and we couldn't agree more that John is fantastic. We commend all the hard you dedicated to your studies! Congratulations on completing such a rigorous program and best of luck moving forward.
  • Randy Johnson  User Photo
    Randy Johnson • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    A year prior to writing this, I was in a 4 year computer science program and felt it was lacking what I needed. I wanted to know the concepts behind security as well as gain experience but without the fluff of a Bachelor's. A friend in the field referred me to this boot camp and upon review, I immediately signed up. In the course of a single semester's time, I have amassed knowledge that fills my resume and obtained skills that I see all throughout cyber job postings. While this program has been well designed and carefully thought out, I owe an exceptional amount of gratitude to the instructor, John Hui. This boot camp has given us the opportunity to master imperative skills, but John went above and beyond to teach us to be problem solvers. He starts the program teaching us, and ends it guiding us to teach ourselves. He has been not only instructive, but inspiring; a quality I wish I saw more in education. I am incredibly fortunate to have learned from this person, and I am excited to put his teachings and wisdom into practice.
    Wednesday, Apr 27 2022
    Way to go, Randy! It's great to hear you've successfully learned the fundamentals of information security. We couldn't agree more with you that John is a fantastic instructor. We commend all your hard work thus far and can't wait to help you finish out the boot camp!
    - 4/9/2022
    Rodney White  User Photo
    Rodney White • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I first started this bootcamp, I had a very basic understanding of computers.  Now here at the end of bootcamp I have a vast knowledge of computers, their programs, networks, servers, VM's (etc).  I actually read a few of these message boards prior to this bootcamp thinking to myself (what a feeling the reviewer must have to have completed this and have achieved something this dynamic).  Now I am the one that is writing a review and it feels amazing.  If anyone is reading this and considering doing Boot Camp (especially via UVR) DO IT!  It has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

My instructor John is amazing!  His "hands on approach" is one of a kind that he has clearly mastered.  John speaks the truth in his lessons and I have personally seen everything he says come true.  I had no idea what Linux was or how to operate a command line but I learned b/c John's ability to teach and instruct were accurate and understandable.  John's teaching style is not to just give you the answer but allow you to think for yourself even if your answer is incorrect he wants you to see why it's incorrect and he will actually praise you for being incorrect IF you can explain why you are incorrect.  I had to adapt myself to this type of learning but it has been most beneficial to my development.

I believe John wanted the most from all of us and teaches us how to work in groups (work well with others) and be expressive within our groups.  His treatment of his students was above and beyond fair and understanding.  That was also across the board with Jenn, Jarret and Kevin.  All have been great and are super accessible.

I would recommend to any of my friends and family to ask for John specifically to instruct them in this capacity.  One of my favorite things about John is that he never allowed any of us to feel "behind".  He kept the class in front of him and kept pushing us to keep going and never give up.  Trusting his process has yielded big "payloads" for me in return.

The bootcamp itself is challenging but rewarding.  After the first 3 weeks of class I was amazed at how much more I knew from day one.  Now that I am at the end of the bootcamp I can say I have truly "leveled up" a lot.
    Tuesday, Apr 12 2022
    Thank you, Rodney! We're thrilled you've successfully learned the fundamentals of information security and benefited from the support of our entire instructional team. We completely agree that John, Jenn, Jarret, and Kevin are all amazing at what they do, and we're so glad you benefitted from their hands-on approach. We commend all the hard work you dedicated to your studies and can't wait to see you successfully finish out the program!
  • Prince Amponsah  User Photo
    Prince Amponsah • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Overall, a great experience.

I started the boot camp with experience in the field of data analytics and visualization. I worked as Business intelligence analyst looking to further improve on my technical skills and to better understand some industry technologies. I knew excel very well, adequate at SQL and was familiar with Tableau as I used these tools at work. These tools are adequate to get into the data anaytics space but my desire is to get into the Data science space without spending more time and money in a typical college setting. I needed to understand more than just the usual excel/sql/tableau experience I had. I wanted to understand better programming languages and concepts such as Python/R; Big data programs such as spark/Hadoop; Statistical analytics and Machine learning; advance data visualization along with understanding data structures in order to deal with unstructured data issues that many in the industry deal with. This boot camp helped me with that knowledge.

Please go into this understand that THIS IS A BOOT CAMP. This is to say that you WILL require much time needed outside of the classroom to do a lot of much needed self studying and catching up. A lot more than would be required at a typical college setting. There is a lot to cover so it goes by fast. Thankfully, that is mentioned many times before and during the start of the boot camp for anyone enrolled to understand what you are diving into. I did my research, I looked through the curriculum and understood what I was getting myself into and the knowledge I would gain from this journey/experience. And that is exactly what I received.
    Tuesday, Sep 14 2021
    Incredible, Prince! We're glad to hear you benefited from the curriculum and further developed your skillset with a wide range of new technologies. Like you noted, this is a rigorous program that will require extensive time both inside and outside of the classroom. As such we commend all your hard work and commitment to your studies. Congratulations on completing the program and thank you for your review! Best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Eliot Cleveland  User Photo
    Eliot Cleveland • Multi-unit Manager • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Data viz oriented course with sections on Python, its associated libraries, HTML, CSS, Java, R, Tableau, Machine Learning and Big Data
    Tuesday, Sep 14 2021
    We appreciate your review, Eliot! It's great to hear you enjoyed the data analytics curriculum. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp! We wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Shaima Jobran  User Photo
    Shaima Jobran • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I started my journey on 12/2020 when I decided to start a new career ,I joined University of Richmond Boot Camp not knowing anything about computers , and now I just finished building my first  React app . it was a great experience ,great support from the instructors and TA . I can't thank you enough for making my dream come true .
    Monday, Aug 09 2021
    We appreciate your review, Shaima! It's great to hear you successfully learned the fundamentals of full stack web development and benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team. Congratulations on completing the program, we're rooting you on in all that you do!
  • Emily Todt  User Photo
    Emily Todt • Student Verified via GitHub
    I started this bootcamp back in November of 2020 and WOW! 6 months sure did fly by. It's really hard to wrap my head around how much I've learned in such a short amount of time. This bootcamp was more than I expected in so many ways. My instructor, Jonathan and my T.A., Ty were amazing! Ty was the go-to guy for questions or help on assignments. Jonathan did the teaching and he really did an amazing job explaining the concepts. That's coming from someone who came in clueless! I met and worked with so many amazing people in my class that I hope to stay in touch with now that it's over. I was assigned a tutor at the beginning of the course (you can change your tutor if you want) and he helped me in SO many ways. Shout out Mr. Itua! He went out of his way in his free time multiple times to help me on my homework assignments, projects, and really just gave me another perspective of the things that we were learning. Also, everything was through Zoom. All of the classes, presentations, tutor sessions. Not sure how that will change once the pandemic is over, but honestly that didn't affect me like I thought it would. I used to think I needed the in-person instruction, but really when it came down to it - I didn't.
    Before the course, I had never coded anything before. I barely knew how to inspect a page. I was a kennel attendant at a doggie daycare. Even though I loved being there with those dogs every day, I knew I didn't want to be there for the rest of my life. I'm 22 and a college dropout (lol) and simply just didn't know what kind of career path I wanted to go down. My mom actually introduced the idea of the IT field to me because it has such a high demand and the pay is normally pretty great. So I started googling and I found this University of Richmond's page full of reviews and wondered if someone like me with no experience would excel in a program like this. If you're reading this right now and not sure if you think you can do it, take it from me... you can. I went from not even knowing what HTML was to building full stack web applications. The work IS hard though and you DO have to spend at least 20 hours outside of class to really understand the all of the different concepts and technologies they're going to teach you. And sometimes you still won't understand it all the way. That was probably one of the hardest things for me. Not knowing EVERYTHING. I always felt like I had to know it all to be the best at something, but in this field you can't think that way. I'm going to spend the rest of my life learning something new every day. LOL. Our course started out with like 25 or so people and we only had about 15 left at the end. I get it. It's not easy, but if you decide to do it, make sure you're ready to make that commitment.
    Google will be your best friend. Their Career Services gives you great feedback on your resume, portfolio, GitHub, and LinkedIn accounts for you to be employer-ready throughout and after the bootcamp! I presented my final project today (woo!) and have talked to a Career Coach one time already. She was nice! We will be keeping in touch every two weeks or so until I have landed a job. I already have an apprenticeship in mind that I'm going to apply for at the beginning of June, so I'm assuming if I don't get that I will be communicating with her more often. Not really sure how that whole process works, but we'll see. Wish me luck! I hope my review has helped you in your decision making, as I was looking for a review like this before I signed up. It turned out to be a great decision for me and I hope you decide to go for it too! Thank you, UofR!
    Tuesday, May 18 2021
    Way to go, Emily! We're happy your virtual classroom experience was delivered successfully and that you benefited from the online format. It's great to hear you benefited from the support of our entire instructional team and couldn't agree more that Jonathan, Ty, and Mr. Itua are pretty amazing.

Our course is built for individuals across a wide range of proficiency levels, ranging from beginners, like yourself, to those with existing experience. Like you mentioned, this is a fast-paced and rigorous course, one that will require extensive time both inside and outside of the classroom. As such, we commend all your hard work and are thrilled you took advantage of the available career services assistance—even after successfully completing the program.

Congratulations on finishing out your boot camp studies, we appreciate your review! We look forward to continuing to provide you professional development assistance and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Fasahath Syeda  User Photo
    Fasahath Syeda • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I definitely enjoyed the course being from computer background. It helped me bridge the employment gap I had. Now I am ready to apply the knowledge I gained in the real world. A great shout out to Tim, Jamie for all the help. The tutoring session helped a lot too. Love the 1 on 1 career sessions available after graduation. Definetly recommend this.
    Friday, Feb 26 2021
    Amazing, Fasahath! We're thrilled you had a positive boot camp experience and that you benefited from the help of our entire team. We also have to agree that Tim and Jamie are pretty fantastic at what they do. Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review! Best of luck moving forward.
  • L.I. Villaranda  User Photo
    L.I. Villaranda • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This was most certainly a challenging course. I enjoyed the way Tim taught the course. To me personally, Jamie and Sara were the most helpful TAs over the course. Christopher, the Student Success Manager, was understanding and offered help when I needed to extend due dates, as well as marking attendance. The course taught me that there are always multiple ways to view a dataset, as well as visualizing it. It also taught me that assumptions should not be made when reviewing a dataset, as it can skew the way you are able to manipulate or even visualize it. I liked a majority of topics we reviewed, but surprisingly, did not enjoy the Tableau week. I'd highly recommend this course for anyone interested analyzing data and perhaps looking for a change of careers.

This program also comes with tutoring services, which I thoroughly appreciated. My tutor, Niharika, was fantastic. She would explain processes, if I did not understand specific functions of language I was working on. Her help was invaluable, as she would review my code when I would get stuck or did not end up with the correct answer. She would even review my projects to make them better and would Zoom call if she felt that it would be easier to explain via actual conversion versus chatting via Slack.

SN: I have yet to fully utilize career services, but plan to do so in the coming weeks. They have reached out multiple times over the program, so I would say that it is an engaging service available to all who are interested.
    Friday, Feb 12 2021
    Incredible, L.I.! We're glad you enjoyed the program and benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team—we couldn't agree more that Tim, Jamie, Sara, Niharika, and Christopher are all pretty fantastic. Great advice for prospective students on taking advantage of all the available resources, including tutoring. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we appreciate your recommendation! We look forward to providing you with career assistance and can't wait to see what you'll accomplish with your newfound skills.
  • Honest word
    - 9/15/2020
    You  User Photo
    You • Student Verified via GitHub
    Teachers demonstrate knowledge of the curriculum and teach accurate, up to date technical information. John shows concern for the students, engages, and supports everyone logically, and clearly,  he establishes a level of difficulty which encourages success.
    I like how materials and resources are presented, the current lessons and previous lessons are always related.

Wednesday, Sep 16 2020
    Amazing, thank you for your review! We're glad you're enjoying the course material and are finding our instructional team to be knowledgeable. We also think that John is not only an amazing teacher but a great supporter of all our students. We wish you all the best as you finish out the boot camp!
  • Cybersecurity
    - 9/12/2020
    Shelia Spurlock-Tupponce  User Photo
    Shelia Spurlock-Tupponce • Program Support Analyst II • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    John is my cybersecurity instructor and he is excellent.  He has in-depth knowledge of the subject matter.  He tends to moves fast through the demo, but he alway asks if there are any questions before proceeding to the activity or the next topic.  He gives great examples or analogies to help us understand the subject.  Lord knows he has the patiences of "Job" and he is never condescending.  He is always uplifting and cheerful.  He and Thor are very supportive and encouraging.  The course is fast paced, but overall I am enjoying the course and I have learned more in this bootcamp than I have working in the field for more than 10 years.
    Wednesday, Sep 16 2020
    Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Shelia! We're happy to hear our instructional team is proving to be valuable throughout your journey and that you're finding your instructor to be uplifting and encouraging. We also agree that John is fantastic. We look forward to helping you through the completion of the boot camp and seeing what you will continue to achieve!