university-of-richmond-boot-camps-logo

University of Richmond Boot Camps

Richmond

University of Richmond Boot Camps

University of Richmond Boot Camps offer 24-week, part-time web development, data analytics, and cybersecurity courses in Richmond, Virginia. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Database Theory, MongoDB, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. The data analytics curriculum includes Programming in Excel, fundamental statistics, Python, SQL, HTML/CSS, Tableau, and more. The cybersecurity program takes a multidisciplinary approach to help students become proficient in IT, networking, and modern information security.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the program is part-time, University of Richmond Coding Boot Camp is designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Throughout the boot camp, students have access to career planning services, resume and portfolio reviews, technical interview training, virtual tech panels, 1:1 coaching, and more. Upon program completion, students will receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Richmond and will have a diverse portfolio of projects in our coding and data analytics programs, or skills applicable to certifications in cybersecurity.

University of Richmond Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (47) reviews for University of Richmond Boot Camps →

Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

Ethical Hacking, Cryptography, Network Security
    LocationRichmond
    This is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to help students gain proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks. Learn skills applicable to certifications such as the CompTIA Security+ and Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) and gain experience with a host of popular tools such as Wireshark, Kali Linux, Metasploit, Nessus, and more.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationRichmond
    This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationRichmond
    University of Richmond Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services provided by Trilogy Education Services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.

• $500 University of Richmond Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive University of Richmond Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Richmond)

• Fantastic Course
    - 8/2/2019
    Alexa Oswald  User Photo
    Alexa Oswald • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I highly recommend the coding bootcamp at the University of Richmond. A year ago I knew I wanted to go back to school but a four year bachelors degree seemed out of reach at the time, so the bootcamp was exactly what I needed to get a jump start in the direction I wanted to go. At every turn, the bootcamp exceeded my expectations- the level of instruction, academic support, and career support were well worth my time and the cost of the progam. I was really drawn to the coding bootcamp because the subject matter was concentrated on what I was looking to learn, and the career services help throughout the course and up to three months after graduation. This was my first venture into the tech field and it was really difficult jumping in without prior experience, but I learned so much and career services helped with interview skills, networking, my resume, and my portfolio, so right after graduation I was applying for and interviewing for positions. Just over a month after the bootcamp ended I started as a software developer and I love the work that I do now and I'm so glad I went through the coding bootcamp.

Thursday, Aug 08 2019
    We appreciate your review, Alexa! We're glad to hear you had a positive student experience and felt supported throughout every step of the way. We commend all your hard work and are thrilled you were able to successfully transition into a new career path. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in all your future endeavors!
  • Allie  User Photo
    Allie • Data Quality Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended the Full Stack Web Development boot camp at UR for a career switch. I used to be a high school science teacher and I simply didn't love that job. I decided to complete the boot camp and career switch in motivation to find a job and work that I truly felt passionate about.

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, and it has allowed me to make a huge transition in my life! The total program really does help you if you're interested in switching careers, simply getting started with web development coding languages, or if you're just interested in learning new things quickly.

While the boot camp moves very fast and can be very demanding, this program is incredibly supportive - something that was very important to me. Before and after every class are office hours where the instructor and TA's are around to help answer questions, debug your work, and provide any other advice/assistance through the whole program and process. My instructor was absolutely incredible and a very skilled teacher. You also have access to a wide variety of career service tools and resources, as well as a Student Success Manager who came to my rescue a few times through the tough course!

The curriculum is great for absolute beginners, moves fast, and is kept current through minor changes as the current job market shifts in Richmond, VA. They truly want to do everything they can to set you up to be employable at the conclusion of the program.

It became obvious that you will always only get what you put into your coursework. Ultimately, you to decide how detailed your education of the content is going to be during this program. You aren't babied through the program, and your hand isn't held through every line of code. Otherwise it would be impossible to get through this program in a timely manner. At first it was intimidating for me and several of my peers to throw ourselves into a program that demands so much self-advocacy. Fairly quickly, though, I figured out a routine and got into a groove. Therefore, I also needed to continue to push myself to do my best. I found this aspect to be an incredibly valuable learning experience.

After graduation you still get access to career service resources that were also very valuable to me. This provided a support system as well as an unbiased source for advice through the job hunting process. Much like the boot camp coursework, you will have to put in the work to find a job because nobody can do this for you. Still, they offer a variety of advice focused on this industry that helped me land a job one month upon graduation

Some areas for improvement for this program:
    1. Curriculum: In 6 months it's very difficult to learn things thoroughly unless you have copious amounts of free time. It's also not the goal of the boot camp to automatically become an expert in every/any topic. They teach you jQuery at a very early point and it helps beginner coders create things faster and feel good about their progress. However, the cost of this was not learning vanilla JavaScript as well as employers would like to see. Similarly, it would help students be more competitive in the job market to have a more in-depth focus on MySQL/MongoDB.
    2. Career Services: Overall this department is great. However, the video sessions aren't as helpful as I thought they would be (at least to me).
    3. Demo Night: This is a super important day/night where you present your final project to potential employers. It would be helpful if the program could bring in professionals from a larger variety of companies to further help those of us new to this industry network our way into that first job. I wasn't disappointed in the turn out for my demo night, but I think this could be improved. The night has such significance that bringing in more companies and professionals would certainly help all students land jobs faster upon graduation.

Overall, if you are in the Richmond, VA area this is the best coding boot camp you will find that has classes in person! It's remarkable how much I've learned and grown throughout this program, and I'm super grateful for the overall experience!

Tuesday, Jun 11 2019
    Thanks so much, Allie! We're happy you were able to discover a career path you're truly passionate about. It's great to know you utilized all the boot camp's resources and found our entire team to be supportive throughout your journey. Great advice for prospective students—you get what you put into the course, so dedicating extensive time to mastering the material will truly help you succeed. We're always looking to optimize our offerings, so we appreciate all your helpful feedback. Congratulations on completing the boot camp, we wish you all the best moving forward!
  • Patrick Lehmann  User Photo
    Patrick Lehmann • Associate Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before coming to the U of R Coding Bootcamp, I was working as a natural gas mechanic. I knew that something had to change because I was unhappy in my previous role but didn't know where to start looking for something knew. I wanted a career I was passionate about, not just a way to pay to the bills. I had seen friends go to coding bootcamps and come out with successful careers and it intrigued me. After some research of my own, I made a decision to sign up myself. From the beginning of the course, I was challenged and kept interested by the workload. The instructors made coming to class fun and interesting, and I looked forward to completing my assignments. The most important skill I had recieved from the bootcamp was to learn how to learn. Technologies change so fast and its important to be able to pivot from one technology, library or framework to another. I was able to take my desirable skillset and within 3 months of graduation, I was offered a position of Associate Software Developer at Homes.com in Norfolk, VA. I am very grateful for everyone from the bootcamp who helped me along the way and would definitely recommend this course to others.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Way to go, Patrick! We're thrilled you chose our program to make a significant career change. We're glad you looked forward to working on your assignments and enjoyed the support of our instructional team. Congratulations on graduating and your exciting new role! We're confident you'll go on to do great things with your newfound web development skills.
  • Charles Gilker  User Photo
    Charles Gilker • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This course provided me with a very solid jumping off point to begin an exciting career in tech. Through the curriculum you will develop sought after skills, learn the fundamentals of multiple coding languages, and develop projects that will demonstrate your ability to potential employers. While the pace of the class was brutal, the excellent support staff, instructors and TAs will make sure you succeed. After completing the flex fullstack program I was contacted by the CIO of my employer to work as a consultant on a large UI/UX project being developed by the agency. My certification along with the large collection of projects created during the bootcamp were cited as key factors as to why i was sought out. I am now hoping to aid in the pursuits of other other perspective developers by working as a substitute teaching assistant for the program. All in all, this program was a wise investment that has greatly altered my future career trajectory.
    Friday, Feb 22 2019
    Thank you for sharing your journey, Charles! We're glad you enjoyed the curriculum and benefited from our entire team's support. We appreciate you returning to TA for us and continuing to assist other students. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you the best in all your coding goals!
    - 2/21/2019
    Peter C  User Photo
    Peter C • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Overall my time in the course has been transformative. My instructor was awesome and there always plenty of support for when I found myself struggling. This program helped me land a job in the industry soon after graduating, but I have also returned to the program to work as a TA, which I have greatly enjoyed. This program has served me well and I would recommend it to anyone who is considering enrollment. From my time as a student, and as a TA, I'm confident that anyone who puts the time & effort in and is committed to becoming a developer will succeed in this program.

Friday, Feb 22 2019
    Amazing, Peter! We're happy to hear this program has been transformative and helped you land a role in the tech industry. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we appreciate your review! Best of luck in your future endeavors.
  • John Blackwell  User Photo
    John Blackwell • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The Full Stack program was a great intorduction to coding and has led to a phenomenal career change for me. I left a career in food and beverage after about 10 years of experience. I pursued this path after my sister had suggested something in the world of programming as a next career. This course was very solid. We learned a lot of different material in a very tight time frame. It taught me an incredibly valuable lesson in learning to learn. It is so important to understand that software/web development is constantly evolving, and this course helps you learn how to adapt to the changing landscape of JavaScript. It should instill and train you to be constantly spending time learning how to hone your skills. After completing the course I worked as a remote tutor for the program before getting a job as a software engineer in the area. I want to address the scores I gave Curriculum and Job Assistance. There were several pieces of the curriculum that I felt could have been sped up or omitted, in order to cover the capstone subjects. This isn't a slight againt the course, but a desire to learn/master more fully the final topics. As much as I understand the bridge that jQuery and Handlebars deliver between vanilla Javascript and React, I feel like a stronger focus on modern Javascript techniques and an earlier attention on React (or more time with SQL/Mongo), would make students more competitive in the job pool. The Job Assistance score is a personal opinion. Just like the rest of the course, you will find that the responsibility of getting a job ultimately lies with your own effort. Career services will provide support, and when available, leads. I found that you will need to aggresively apply to jobs and be willing to take any reasonable opportunity. I highly recommend reaching out to alumi or attend area meetups to try to meet someone willing to mentor/help you. I was lucky enough to line up a job after responding to a local developers slack channel. I will say the skills I gained in class have served me extremely well in my job, though the biggest thing I've attained is the ability to pick/keep up with the changes/demands asked of a developer

Friday, Feb 22 2019
    Thank you, John! We're thrilled you decided to embark on this new career journey and found our course to be beneficial. We understand you would have preferred to focus on modern JavaScript techniques, SQL/Mongo, as well as React. Like you mentioned, we pride ourselves on teaching individuals how to learn, so that they can build a strong foundation to easily pick up other languages, even after finishing the course.

Great advice related to our career services — students should take advantage of all our available resources, as well as attend local meetups and network with alumni. We want all of our learners to feel prepared as they start the job search, so we truly appreciate your input. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for returning to tutor for us! We're rooting you on in your new role.

• Jay Krauss  User Photo
    Jay Krauss • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    From oil and grease to air conditioning and vacation days. So often in life we are shown a path that seems completely out of the question. The trajectory of which is frightening and of questionable success, or so we think. We let those moments pass us by in favor of the familiar, the safe if unfulfilling. We drift through on our normal path, running our ruts deeper and longer. But sometimes those paths are the only way to set you free, to change the trajectory of your entire life. Such a path is the coding bootcamp. I quit my job, a ten year career path, and an industry that I was very well qualified in.. all to throw my dice onto another table. Six months of grueling work, sleepless nights and a rapidly thinning wallet, I find myself rebuilt onto a developer. It was not easy. Nothing truly worth it is. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. And one of the most incredibly satisfying.
    Friday, Feb 22 2019
    We appreciate you sharing your review, Jay! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We commend all your hard work and sleepless nights towards successfully learning the fundamentals of web development. Congratulations on graduating, we are incredibly proud of you! We wish you continued success in all that you do.
  • Carla Cox  User Photo
    Carla Cox • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    These days we are so overwhelmed by academic courses, college paths, and even certificate programs of some sort that promise us success and financial freedom. With all these options out there, it is sometimes easy to choose the wrong path. While keeping this thought in mind, I went on searching for a "short" program to update my tech skills and finally land a long loved career in electronics/engineering. Little did I know that the UofR Coding Bootcamp would not be just a program, but a life-changing experience. What you learn in this program is not just to "code", it is self discipline, teamwork, time management and... Passion. Above all, you learn to be passionate. The drive and synergy that this program brings out of you is possibly the most amazing journey you'll experience. This is the type of program you go through to defy the odds against human potential. The genius and the average Joe turn out to be the same hero after 6 months and what is the end product? An amazing career and everlasting friendship with the graduate crew :) aside from my very subjective insight, my objective comments are: John is an extraordinary instructor who seems to have the patience of a saint, Yuri is the one who will help you see that this world is just awesome because there are people like her, and the TAs will be your friends even after 9:30 p.m. when everyone is ready to throw the computer out the window. Honestly, I would do it all over again!
    Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Way to go, Carla! We love hearing you had such a life-changing experience at our boot camp. We're happy you found our boot camp team to be supportive and encouraging — we also agree that the entire TA team, Yuri, and John are fantastic. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate your review! Best of luck as you move forward on this new path.
  • Kevin Kafuku  User Photo
    Kevin Kafuku • Application Developer - Capital One Verified via LinkedIn

Words could never explain how grateful I am for the drastic change of events that have recently sparked off in my life because of this community, because of this FAMILY. I never thought of myself to be the smartest person in the room, nor the most talented. In college, I would always be the last to understand things. Constantly I’d feel a huge burden to my peers for asking so many of what seemed to be "stupid" questions, and this would be after hours and hours of reading/studying and lecture. Never would I have imagined myself in the position I am today, living my dream, being somewhere I am valued and doing something I have a deep love for. Trilogy Education & The University of Richmond made this dream possible,  and it is to them I owe a huge amount of thanks and gratitude towards.

Before I enrolled in this program, I was working full time at a Hyundai Dealership managing internet sales and help desk tickets while pursuing my Associates Degree at a small Community College. Although the money was great, I sacrificed too much of my real life. Working almost 80 hours a week while trying to balance my education as well as my personal life wasn't exactly living up to my expectations. On multiple occasions I’d find myself at work, thinking “is this really it ? is this really what my life is about ?”, although only being 20 years old at the time and not realizing there was so much more ahead of me, I was too eager and too ready to succeed to leave my fate up to chance. I had little to no experience in the real IT world besides the basics from Youtube Videos I’d browsed in High-School along with a small IT Fundamentals workshop certificate, and creating a few silly websites In some of my college elective courses, but I always had a love for technology and a very curious mind to how things work.

What really pushed me to pursue this field, was actually my clientele & my family. I’d probably had met close to a thousand people where I work who were living a very successful lifestyle that I admired very much. These are the people who always mentioned to me about tech being a very lucrative, very challenging, and yet rewarding and demanding field. So I listened, I did my research and to my excitement, this program found me. I will say without a doubt the 6 month journey I embarked on within this program not only prepared me more for a career than any other college course I’ve taken, but it built character within me, it taught me perseverance and it brought me close to a group of people that I proudly call a family. After constant late nights of studying (which really means screaming at my computer), probably a million questions, and just going what the heck sometimes, before the blink of an eye, it was all over. On multiple occasions during the course and especially towards the end, there were times where I still didn’t believe In myself or felt as if I didn’t make the best of it, times where I still felt as if I wasn’t smart enough although many of my classmates felt different and reminded me so. At the end of the day I knew I worked as hard as possible and trusted that eventually, the reward would start to show.

Despite all of this doubt in my heart, 1 month before graduation I obtained my first job offer within the Software Engineering field and I must say it felt unreal to achieve such a great milestone with the help of such an amazing supporting cast that was my classroom peers and my instructional staff.  I was the first person within my cohort to do so and for once in my life, I felt that my hard work had finally paid off. Following our class Demo Day and Graduation many, many, more offers & opportunities would come, it even came to a point & time where I was blessed with multiple options and boy did I use them to my advantage. It felt amazing knowing that I was in demand, that I was in control of my future for once, that I was truly happy !

Today I work as an Application Developer at Capital One and I enjoy every moment that I am here. I make almost double my previous salary, I work 40 hours a week, I enjoy my afternoons with my family, I wake up excited to go to work, I drive home every day with a huge smile on my face even in that drastic 5 o'clock traffic, I’m grateful. As I said, I never felt like I was the best at anything, but I believe I had the best people around me. I believe I had the best support system, the best Teachers as well as the best Teaching Assistants, and the best career coaches (who are actually more of cheerleaders by the way, and they're absolutely great at it). I believe this program is a life changing experience for anyone who chooses to embark on it and puts their best foot forward. I strongly encourage anyone who is hesitant to pursue this field, to do it. I’d like to think if I could do it, anything is possible. I promise if you don’t gain anything, you will learn something new (about yourself as well), you will gain courage, you will gain a new hunger for success and most importantly, you will gain a happy memory of the fulfillment in which you achieved with a group of beautiful people.

Yours Truly,

Kevin Kafuku.

Monday, Feb 11 2019
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Kevin! We're thrilled you launched a new career with the help of our program and are enjoying your new developer role. Our entire team is truly passionate about what they do, so it's great to hear you felt supported and encouraged by them in your journey. Like you said, anything is possible if you have the drive and put in the hard work. Congratulations on successfully graduating, we commend your dedication! We wish you continued success in all your coding goals.
  • Game changer!
    - 2/7/2019
    Lori  User Photo
    Lori • Dev Ops Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am so glad I decided to invest in myself by taking this program. A year ago, I didn't have any experience in tech and was dreading going to work everyday in a dead end career. In six short months, I completely turned my life around.

The class began with the basics of making simple web pages using HTML and CSS, and progressed all the way to making full stack applications by the end of the program. It was fast paced, but also very thorough. I am especially grateful for the support of instructors, TAs, and Career Services. Everyone seemed genuinely interested in helping students succeed.

The most memorable day of boot camp was Project Demo Night, during which local employers visit campus to see students' projects. Some students, including myself, were able to land interviews and even job opportunities because of this special event.

The UR Coding Boot Camp was one of the most difficult challenges I've ever pursued, but I'm so glad I did. I LOVE going to work everyday as a developer now.

Friday, Feb 08 2019
    Amazing, Lori! Thank you for choosing our program to make such a significant career change, we're thrilled you were able to learn the fundamentals of web development.It's great that you felt supported by our team every step of the way. Congratulations on graduating and landing an exciting new role! We are rooting you on in all your future endeavors.
  • Hillary  User Photo
    Hillary • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before attending this bootcamp I had already acquired bachelors and masters degrees in unrelated fields.  While I am grateful for my degrees and those experiences, this bootcamp is by far the best learning experience I’ve had. The bootcamp was more challenging, more rewarding, more supportive, and focused intensely on all the right things.  The main focus of the bootcamp is to make the students think like developers; we learn how to feel confident taking on challenges and teaching ourselves new skills in the ever-changing world of tech.

I knew almost nothing coming into this course and I’m astounded at how much I know coming out of it.  I will say I had to put in plenty of hours of hard to get here. This course is not for people who are merely curious or on the fence about development. You have to really enjoy every part of the process to get through all the frustrations and the constant barrage of new information.  That said, the instructional staff is exemplary and they are always around for help and encouragement.

At the end of the day I think this bootcamp is 100% the best option for quickly launching a career in web development or software engineering.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
    We truly appreciate your review, Hillary! We're thrilled our program was a great learning experience. Our entire team is passionate about enabling student success, so we're happy to hear you found them to be supportive and encouraging. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we commend all your dedication! Best of luck as you continue working towards your future goals.
  • Recent Graduate
    - 2/2/2019
    David S  User Photo
    David S • Student Verified via LinkedIn

If you are serious about a career change and know that web development/IT is the path you dare go down, then I would recommend this bootcamp. There isn't some 'free if you don't get a job within 6 months of graduating' clause or anything like that because they expect you take this seriously as it is more like a trade-school than anything else. The curriculum is based on your regions specific tech demands from actual local companies and your instructors are working professionals who are doing this as a side gig so you get practical and relevant knowledge, not just 'IT Theory' that a lot of 2 - 4 year Information Systems degrees would give you. That said, besides the tuition, a lot is required of you to make it worth going through. I personally think that it there should  be more emphasis of getting as much pre-learning done on your own time before the course starts because once it does, there aren't many pauses. If there was a scale of your coding knowledge where anything after 60% can get you hired, than I'd say this course can get you from 15% to 60%, and in an ideal situation, you'd have up to 10%-15% knowledge already obtained on your own from free online resources beforehand. This may only apply if you are going to be working a full time job during the course. Even if you prepare, you may still not feel like you are getting everything because you can barely keep up between going to class, doing the homework, and then trying to understand what was going on in the last class. Ask questions as much as you can, even if you dont know what question to ask because everything doesnt make sense, choose one thing and ask about it because it will likely come up again in your homework. The instructional team was phenomenal but I wish the situation with the projector during class was better. With being at a well known university you'd think they'd have a clearer way to display information than a poorly lit screen.

I don't feel like I was one of the top students during my cohort, and even if that's true, I can definitely say that I came out of it having a set of skills with the most important of those being that I know how to LEARN any type of web development now. This isn't about memorizing a computer language, its more about being able to read it and knowing how all the pieces connect to form something greater and the problems that you can solve from that.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
    Thank you for your review, David! We're glad to hear you enjoyed the curriculum, our instructional team, and feel confident learning new programming skills on your own. We take all feedback as an opportunity to improve, so we appreciate your input. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.
  • Steve Carpenter  User Photo
    Steve Carpenter • IT Risk Manager • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came into this course with many years of IT experience focused primarly on hardware and IT service delivery.  I had no prior expirience with web development or related technologies.

This course is loaded with content and organized in such a way to make it possible to learn the material within the timelines.  You will be regularly challenged as you work through the lessons.  You will be relieved and proud of what you are able to create, only to have the achievement surpassed the next week.  In the end you will have obtained a good working knowledge of the technologies, feel confident in your abilities as a developer, and know how to learn new technologies going forward.  .

The course will require a sustained personal commitment from you.  Your level of success will relate directly to the time you give to the lessons and homework.  Be prepared to rearrange your schedule and invest most of your free time in learning.  You will get out of it what you put into it.

You'll have all the help and support you require along the way.  The instructional staff is real-world knowledgeable beyond the curriculum and are able to fill in the gaps which help you understand the concepts.  The combined classroom and independent study format provides structure and accountability.  Everyone involved in student support throughout the program is very supportive and professional.

My personal assessment is this experience is extremely positive.  Great instructors, great support, great classmates, and I have lots of new skills.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
    Way to go, Steve! It's great to hear you successfully learned the fundamental concepts of full-stack web development and feel confident in your newfound abilities. Our entire team is passionate about helping students succeed, so we're thrilled you found them to be so supportive. Congratulations on completing the program and thank you for your review! We wish you continued success in your future goals.
  • Ryan Case  User Photo
    Ryan Case Verified via GitHub

If you're on the fence about taking the dive, just do it. This is a fantastic program, and well worth your time and money. The instructors are awesome, and they are actual professionals in the industry. They geniunely care about you and your success. The TAs are very knowledgeable and supportive, and will devote a lot of their time to help you with homework or to understand a specific topic. The Administrator is there for anything you need. Needless to say, the support system you'll have as you learn is phenominal.

As for the course itself, it is fast paced and challenging, but rewarding. You will find yourself just starting to grasp one topic only to quickly move on to the next, but if you stay disciplined, and use your resources and support available to you, then you will succeed.

Coming out of this course, I have a broad range of skills that are in high demand. I feel pleased with my decision to take this life changing step in my life and this course has built a solid foundation for the start of my new career path.

Students get the opportunity to present their final projects at a science fair-like hiring event, and I can only tell you that it was one of the best experiences I have ever had, and I feel like I made a lot of great connections.

• Kumar Ramanathan  User Photo
    Kumar Ramanathan • Graduate Verified via GitHub

It is a serious commitment for six months, it requires at least 15 to 20 hrs of own time to analyze class activities and complete homework. The class activities and homework helped me to a great extent to understand the concepts. Even as a QA analyst worked in an IT environment for over an 8yrs, it was still challenging. It is a constant fire hose of information, but I can assure you the six months is not at all enough to master all the technologies but it is enough to understand the basic concepts to build on it. Unlike learning all these technologies over some online tutorials, there is always a human available to interact and consult your doubts. I am glad I joined the boot camp. I am very happy with my progress. It is well worth the time.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
    Way to go, Kumar! You're completely right that this program is a serious commitment and will require extensive time in order to truly master the course material. Congratulations on graduating, we applaud all the hard work you put in! Thank you for review, we wish you all the success in your future endeavors.
  • Tricia Norris  User Photo
    Tricia Norris • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came into the course knowing a little HTML and CSS and I graduate tomorrow feeling confident and excited about continuing to learn. The UR teaching staff and Student Success Manager, Yuri, makes sure students are properly prepared to make web development a life-long journey. It will challenge and frustrate you, but you'll enjoy wins as you will have "a-ha" moments quite frequently. They will teach you how to troubleshoot and absorb the languages and technologies - truly setting you up to be able to learn anything you set your mind to. I will miss the cameraderie of the class, but I am excited to apply what I have learned now in real world situations!

Monday, Feb 04 2019
    Amazing, Tricia! Our entire team is passionate about what they do, so we're thrilled to hear they were so supportive in your web development journey — we also think Yuri is pretty fantastic. Congratulations on successfully completing the course and thank you for your review! We can't wait to see where your new skills will take you.
  • Graduate
    - 2/1/2019
    Nico Almenara  User Photo
    Nico Almenara Verified via GitHub

It was a good experience especially for someone who had no prior experience in web development. I enjoyed the class, pace was fast tackling many new topics per month. My only recommendation is to really take the HW seriously and spend time outside of the class doing classwork and HW. Projects are where I grew the most for sure.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
    We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review, Nico! We're glad to hear you enjoyed the program and couldn't agree more with your advice for future students — you truly have to dedicate additional time and practice outside of class. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck as you continue forward!
  • Sam Liput  User Photo
    Sam Liput • Graduate • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The U of R Coding Boot Camp is a humbling experience. I already had a web design certificate and thought I was more or less ready to jump into the workforce. This boot camp showed me just how wrong I was and how much I had yet to learn. I’ve learned so much in the last six months that I chuckle to think how naïve I was before it. The curriculum is consistently challenging, and right as you start to think “Maybe I’m getting the hang of this,” you’re whisked onto the next unfamiliar concept. It requires more than casual attention to keep up, but even with a full-time job, it’s not impossible with the right work ethic. Thanks to the great instructors, T.A.s, and staff, this boot camp has built up my portfolio, allowed me to forge supportive connections with fellow newbie coders, and helped pave the way for me to break into the I.T. industry. Highly recommended!
    Friday, Feb 01 2019
    Fantastic, Sam! We're glad to hear you were able to further advance your web development skills and felt so supported by our entire team. Congratulations on completing the program and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best as you continue your coding journey.
  • Alex Silvester  User Photo
    Alex Silvester • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I originally signed up for this class as a backup for if I did not get a job that I wanted. As fate would have it, I ended up with both.

I have dabbled development in the past, but nothing improved and gave me the skills needed to be a web developer like this class has done. It is difficult, it stretched me to my limits, but I learned. The teachers and the TAs are there you help you, they offer time before and after class to answer your questions and help guide to towards what you need to know. If you take this class seriously, you will learn so much.

Friday, Feb 01 2019
    Thank you for your review, Alex! We're thrilled you enjoyed the course and truly utilized all the boot camp's resources. Congratulations on graduating and on your exciting new career path! We are confident that you will go on to do incredible things with your new skills.
  • UR Bootcamp
    - 1/31/2019
    Melissa  User Photo
    Melissa • Sr Data Analyst • Student Verified via GitHub

Starting from the application process with this bootcamp I have had great expriences..  The emrollment process is somewhat challenging with a technical interview and test.  The weeks leading up to the start of the camp require roughly 40 hours of pre-work that sets you up to get started the first day.  The camp is instensive but with good reason.  Learning to code it more then memorizing, it requires a mindset of curisity, always open to learning new things, knowing you wont master them right away.  You're streched in ways you didn't know were possible and build bonds with classmates and TA that support you every step of the way.  The campus is historic and a pillar in the Richmond community, for that the certificate will be well recieved in the community.

Friday, Feb 01 2019
    Thanks so much, Melissa! We're happy to hear you had such a great student experience and felt so supported, not only by our instructional team but by your classmates as well. Congratulations on completing the course! We wish you nothing but the best going forward.
  • Renée Grinnell  User Photo
    Renée Grinnell • Graduate Verified via GitHub

So you're considering the U of R web development bootcamp? Awesome! As a soon-to-be graduate (in two more days!), I hope this advice will help prospective students determine whether or not this program is the right fit for them, and get the most out of their experience if they decide to take the leap.

First and foremost, like all the other reviews say, this is HARD. It's so life-changing and rewarding BECAUSE it's so hard. But you have to be mentally and physically prepared for a 6-month endurance challenge. Real talk: I spent 6 years in a super-intense Ph.D. program before coming to this bootcamp, and I think this was an even more difficult experience. You will be pushing yourself and there will be growing pains as you learn challenging new skills in a very intensive, short time frame. Your friends and family will wonder where you disappeared to. You will worry where you, and your brain and sanity, disappeared to. You'll get tired and discouraged. You'll feel like you can't catch your breath and can't possibly keep drinking from a firehose of new information every week until the end. At times you will wonder if you're good/smart/whatever enough, maybe even think about quitting...

DON'T.

Because the flip side of the previous paragraph is, this bootcamp is PHENOMENAL. You'll have a ton of fun. The instructors and staff are knowledgeable, caring, responsive, kind, and helpful. You and your classmates will bond intensely during this experience, and you'll emerge with a built-in network of local tech buddies. You'll learn about yourself and your abilities, and you'll be stunned at what you're able to accomplish over the weeks and months. I toyed with the idea of doing a bootcamp for several years before taking the plunge, and I'm so, so, so very glad I finally did.

TL;DR: Be brutally honest with yourself: am I ready to commit 6 months to one of the hardest and most all-consuming things I've ever done? If the answer is really yes, go for it! Put in the time and effort, enjoy yourself, and you will be richly rewarded with knowledge, skills, connections, friendships, confidence, and a bright career outlook!

Friday, Feb 01 2019
    Amazing, Renée! You're completely right that this program will be challenging and require extensive commitment — this is great advice for interested participants to take into consideration. We're happy to hear you had such an amazing boot camp experience and made lasting connections. Congratulations on your anticipating graduation, we wish you all the success on this new career path!
  • David Stocker  User Photo
    David Stocker • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had minimal exposure to real-world coding when I enrolled, and from the first hour of instruction, the whole class was in the fast lane. You MUST commit the time necessary to be successful in this course, and that means rearranging your life for 6+ months. It's totally worth it.

Recommended: If you're not sure this is for you, spend some good time going through courses on udemy, freecodecamp, or other no cost / low cost instruction sites. If you enjoy the challenge of those experiences, and are ready to commit the time, then this course is an excellent choice.

Friday, Feb 01 2019
    We appreciate your review, David! Like you mentioned, students need to be willing to commit extensive time outside of the classroom to master the course material. Congratulations on completing the program! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Jeremy Hancock  User Photo
    Jeremy Hancock • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm graduating a few days from now. I'm amazed at how much I've learned and the breadth and depth of the skills that I've developed because of my time in this course. I came to the class with no experience with any kind of coding. I'm leaving with a great understanding of CSS, HTML, JavaScript, Node, React, Express, and more. I actually understand how to use all of this and was able to do so for my final project.

My biggest fear was that I wouldn't be able to learn it, or that this would just be an introduction and the real work would happen after graduation. While I'm sure that's still partly true, I feel fully prepared to demonstrate to employers that I have the skills, right now, needed to be valuable in the web development space.

It was hard. Really hard. And worth it. Really worth it.

Friday, Feb 01 2019
    Way to go, Jeremy! We're thrilled you successfully learned the fundamental concepts of full-stack web development and feel confident about your newfound skills. Our entire team is looking forward to your graduation and are cheering you on as you move forward!
  • Best decision ever
    - 6/29/2018
    Sophia Butterworth  User Photo
    Sophia Butterworth • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I had very little experience with coding before I started this bootcamp and I was worried about going back to school after being out of school for so long, but the support that is available for students is amazing. I'm so thankful for my instructors and TAs. They were very responsive and available whenever I needed help and beyond just the academic support, they and Yuri, our student sucess manager, were emotionally supportive. The course is fast-paced and information packed. There is just too much material to internalize, process, and use on my own so feeling stressed out becomes second nature. However, I can't believe I've come this far in 5.5 months and have created full-stack web applications. I'm excited about the possibilities that await after this bootcamp and would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a life changing experience.

Friday, Jun 29 2018
    Thank you for your review, Sophia! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your boot camp experience and constantly felt supported by our entire team. This program is challenging and the pace can be stressful, but we are so proud of all you were able to create and accomplish. Congratulations on graduating! We are confident that you will go on to do incredible things with your new skills.
  • Eliza Janus  User Photo
    Eliza Janus • Student Verified via GitHub

I became interested in coding during my time as a music composition major taking computer music classes at UVA, and my interest expanded as my post-college career path lead me to software project managment and basic web production positions. I soon realized that despite my complete and utter lack of belief in my ability to do anything remotely math and science-related, I might actually have a knack for tech. I decided to go with my gut and take the plunge into a tech career by enrolling in the University of Richmond Coding Bootcamp, and I am quite honestly astounded by how much I've learned within the past 6 months. The course is JavaScript-focused and moves incredibly quickly. 3x/weekly classes and challenging homework assignments take a toll in terms of mental stress and limited self-care time, especially if you maintain a full-time job as I have done, but the experience is 100% worth it. The teachers and TAs genuinely care about your success and have been endlessly helpful in catalyzing the various coding epiphanies that have occurred in my brain throughout the course, and will hopefully continue to occur during my growth as a developer. In addition to being well-equipped to begin a lifelong career in software development, I finally feel that I am in a place to earn "what I'm worth" and to have fun doing it (as a young woman in 2018 with a degree in music composition, salary negotiation has not been much of an option in the past). Even if you have doubts in your abilities, this program will push you to succeed beyond your expectations.

Friday, Jun 29 2018
    Amazing, Eliza! We are thrilled you chose to pursue a tech career and plunge into our boot camp course. Like you noted, this program is challenging and fast-paced, covering a wide-range of topics in a short amount of time. We know it takes real commitment to balance a career with an immersive course like this one, so we commend you for all you were able to learn and accomplish throughout your journey! Our instructors and TAs are passionate about enabling student success, so we are happy to hear this truly resonated with you. Congratulations on completing this course and thank you for your review! We are wishing you all the success in your new and exciting career path.