University of Richmond Boot Camps
Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the program is part-time, University of Richmond Coding Boot Camp is designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.
Throughout the boot camp, students have access to career planning services, resume and portfolio reviews, technical interview training, virtual tech panels, 1:1 coaching, and more. Upon program completion, students will receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Richmond and will have a diverse portfolio of projects in our coding and data analytics programs, or skills applicable to certifications in cybersecurity.
University of Richmond Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services a 2U, Inc. brand.
Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.81
Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps News
Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $11,495 Class size 25 Location RichmondThis is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to help students gain proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks. Learn skills applicable to certifications such as the CompTIA Security+ and Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) and gain experience with a host of popular tools such as Wireshark, Kali Linux, Metasploit, Nessus, and more.
Minimum Skill Level Beginner Prep Work Pre-work Placement Test No Interview Yes
In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week24 Weeks
Minimum Skill Level Beginner Prep Work Pre-work Placement Test No Interview Yes
In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week24 Weeks
Minimum Skill Level Beginner Prep Work Pre-work Placement Test No Interview Yes
- Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive University of Richmond Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!
EligibilityOffer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship. & This scholarship cannot be combined with other offers.
- Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Richmond)
University of Richmond Boot Camps Reviews
54 reviews sorted by:
- Honest word- 9/16/2020You • Student • Course: Cybersecurity - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHubTeachers demonstrate knowledge of the curriculum and teach accurate, up to date technical information. John shows concern for the students, engages, and supports everyone logically, and clearly, he establishes a level of difficulty which encourages success.
I like how materials and resources are presented, the current lessons and previous lessons are always related.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamWednesday, Sep 16 2020Amazing, thank you for your review! We're glad you're enjoying the course material and are finding our instructional team to be knowledgeable. We also think that John is not only an amazing teacher but a great supporter of all our students. We wish you all the best as you finish out the boot camp!
- Cybersecurity- 9/12/2020Shelia Spurlock-Tupponce • Program Support Analyst II • Student • Course: Cybersecurity - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via LinkedInJohn is my cybersecurity instructor and he is excellent. He has in-depth knowledge of the subject matter. He tends to moves fast through the demo, but he alway asks if there are any questions before proceeding to the activity or the next topic. He gives great examples or analogies to help us understand the subject. Lord knows he has the patiences of "Job" and he is never condescending. He is always uplifting and cheerful. He and Thor are very supportive and encouraging. The course is fast paced, but overall I am enjoying the course and I have learned more in this bootcamp than I have working in the field for more than 10 years.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamWednesday, Sep 16 2020Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Shelia! We're happy to hear our instructional team is proving to be valuable throughout your journey and that you're finding your instructor to be uplifting and encouraging. We also agree that John is fantastic. We look forward to helping you through the completion of the boot camp and seeing what you will continue to achieve!
- Fantastic Course- 8/2/2019Alexa Oswald • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via LinkedIn
I highly recommend the coding bootcamp at the University of Richmond. A year ago I knew I wanted to go back to school but a four year bachelors degree seemed out of reach at the time, so the bootcamp was exactly what I needed to get a jump start in the direction I wanted to go. At every turn, the bootcamp exceeded my expectations- the level of instruction, academic support, and career support were well worth my time and the cost of the progam. I was really drawn to the coding bootcamp because the subject matter was concentrated on what I was looking to learn, and the career services help throughout the course and up to three months after graduation. This was my first venture into the tech field and it was really difficult jumping in without prior experience, but I learned so much and career services helped with interview skills, networking, my resume, and my portfolio, so right after graduation I was applying for and interviewing for positions. Just over a month after the bootcamp ended I started as a software developer and I love the work that I do now and I'm so glad I went through the coding bootcamp.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamThursday, Aug 08 2019We appreciate your review, Alexa! We're glad to hear you had a positive student experience and felt supported throughout every step of the way. We commend all your hard work and are thrilled you were able to successfully transition into a new career path. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in all your future endeavors!
- Super Supportive, Great for Career Switching- 6/8/2019Allie • Data Quality Analyst • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHub
I attended the Full Stack Web Development boot camp at UR for a career switch. I used to be a high school science teacher and I simply didn't love that job. I decided to complete the boot camp and career switch in motivation to find a job and work that I truly felt passionate about.
I thoroughly enjoyed this course, and it has allowed me to make a huge transition in my life! The total program really does help you if you're interested in switching careers, simply getting started with web development coding languages, or if you're just interested in learning new things quickly.
While the boot camp moves very fast and can be very demanding, this program is incredibly supportive - something that was very important to me. Before and after every class are office hours where the instructor and TA's are around to help answer questions, debug your work, and provide any other advice/assistance through the whole program and process. My instructor was absolutely incredible and a very skilled teacher. You also have access to a wide variety of career service tools and resources, as well as a Student Success Manager who came to my rescue a few times through the tough course!
The curriculum is great for absolute beginners, moves fast, and is kept current through minor changes as the current job market shifts in Richmond, VA. They truly want to do everything they can to set you up to be employable at the conclusion of the program.
It became obvious that you will always only get what you put into your coursework. Ultimately, you to decide how detailed your education of the content is going to be during this program. You aren't babied through the program, and your hand isn't held through every line of code. Otherwise it would be impossible to get through this program in a timely manner. At first it was intimidating for me and several of my peers to throw ourselves into a program that demands so much self-advocacy. Fairly quickly, though, I figured out a routine and got into a groove. Therefore, I also needed to continue to push myself to do my best. I found this aspect to be an incredibly valuable learning experience.
After graduation you still get access to career service resources that were also very valuable to me. This provided a support system as well as an unbiased source for advice through the job hunting process. Much like the boot camp coursework, you will have to put in the work to find a job because nobody can do this for you. Still, they offer a variety of advice focused on this industry that helped me land a job one month upon graduation!
Some areas for improvement for this program:
2. Career Services: Overall this department is great. However, the video sessions aren't as helpful as I thought they would be (at least to me).
3. Demo Night: This is a super important day/night where you present your final project to potential employers. It would be helpful if the program could bring in professionals from a larger variety of companies to further help those of us new to this industry network our way into that first job. I wasn't disappointed in the turn out for my demo night, but I think this could be improved. The night has such significance that bringing in more companies and professionals would certainly help all students land jobs faster upon graduation.
Overall, if you are in the Richmond, VA area this is the best coding boot camp you will find that has classes in person! It's remarkable how much I've learned and grown throughout this program, and I'm super grateful for the overall experience!
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamTuesday, Jun 11 2019Thanks so much, Allie! We're happy you were able to discover a career path you're truly passionate about. It's great to know you utilized all the boot camp's resources and found our entire team to be supportive throughout your journey. Great advice for prospective students—you get what you put into the course, so dedicating extensive time to mastering the material will truly help you succeed. We're always looking to optimize our offerings, so we appreciate all your helpful feedback. Congratulations on completing the boot camp, we wish you all the best moving forward!
- Great place to learn and grow- 2/22/2019Patrick Lehmann • Associate Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHub
Before coming to the U of R Coding Bootcamp, I was working as a natural gas mechanic. I knew that something had to change because I was unhappy in my previous role but didn't know where to start looking for something knew. I wanted a career I was passionate about, not just a way to pay to the bills. I had seen friends go to coding bootcamps and come out with successful careers and it intrigued me. After some research of my own, I made a decision to sign up myself. From the beginning of the course, I was challenged and kept interested by the workload. The instructors made coming to class fun and interesting, and I looked forward to completing my assignments. The most important skill I had recieved from the bootcamp was to learn how to learn. Technologies change so fast and its important to be able to pivot from one technology, library or framework to another. I was able to take my desirable skillset and within 3 months of graduation, I was offered a position of Associate Software Developer at Homes.com in Norfolk, VA. I am very grateful for everyone from the bootcamp who helped me along the way and would definitely recommend this course to others.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamMonday, Feb 25 2019Way to go, Patrick! We're thrilled you chose our program to make a significant career change. We're glad you looked forward to working on your assignments and enjoyed the support of our instructional team. Congratulations on graduating and your exciting new role! We're confident you'll go on to do great things with your newfound web development skills.
- A Great Starting Point- 2/21/2019Charles Gilker • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHubThis course provided me with a very solid jumping off point to begin an exciting career in tech. Through the curriculum you will develop sought after skills, learn the fundamentals of multiple coding languages, and develop projects that will demonstrate your ability to potential employers. While the pace of the class was brutal, the excellent support staff, instructors and TAs will make sure you succeed. After completing the flex fullstack program I was contacted by the CIO of my employer to work as a consultant on a large UI/UX project being developed by the agency. My certification along with the large collection of projects created during the bootcamp were cited as key factors as to why i was sought out. I am now hoping to aid in the pursuits of other other perspective developers by working as a substitute teaching assistant for the program. All in all, this program was a wise investment that has greatly altered my future career trajectory.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamFriday, Feb 22 2019Thank you for sharing your journey, Charles! We're glad you enjoyed the curriculum and benefited from our entire team's support. We appreciate you returning to TA for us and continuing to assist other students. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you the best in all your coding goals!
- Great Experience- 2/21/2019Peter C • Developer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHub
Overall my time in the course has been transformative. My instructor was awesome and there always plenty of support for when I found myself struggling. This program helped me land a job in the industry soon after graduating, but I have also returned to the program to work as a TA, which I have greatly enjoyed. This program has served me well and I would recommend it to anyone who is considering enrollment. From my time as a student, and as a TA, I'm confident that anyone who puts the time & effort in and is committed to becoming a developer will succeed in this program.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamFriday, Feb 22 2019Amazing, Peter! We're happy to hear this program has been transformative and helped you land a role in the tech industry. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we appreciate your review! Best of luck in your future endeavors.
- Solid Introduction to Coding- 2/21/2019John Blackwell • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHub
Great advice related to our career services — students should take advantage of all our available resources, as well as attend local meetups and network with alumni. We want all of our learners to feel prepared as they start the job search, so we truly appreciate your input. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for returning to tutor for us! We're rooting you on in your new role.
- From Mechanic to Developer- 2/21/2019Jay Krauss • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHubFrom oil and grease to air conditioning and vacation days. So often in life we are shown a path that seems completely out of the question. The trajectory of which is frightening and of questionable success, or so we think. We let those moments pass us by in favor of the familiar, the safe if unfulfilling. We drift through on our normal path, running our ruts deeper and longer. But sometimes those paths are the only way to set you free, to change the trajectory of your entire life. Such a path is the coding bootcamp. I quit my job, a ten year career path, and an industry that I was very well qualified in.. all to throw my dice onto another table. Six months of grueling work, sleepless nights and a rapidly thinning wallet, I find myself rebuilt onto a developer. It was not easy. Nothing truly worth it is. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. And one of the most incredibly satisfying.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamFriday, Feb 22 2019We appreciate you sharing your review, Jay! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We commend all your hard work and sleepless nights towards successfully learning the fundamentals of web development. Congratulations on graduating, we are incredibly proud of you! We wish you continued success in all that you do.
- More Than Just a Course- 2/20/2019Carla Cox • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via LinkedInThese days we are so overwhelmed by academic courses, college paths, and even certificate programs of some sort that promise us success and financial freedom. With all these options out there, it is sometimes easy to choose the wrong path. While keeping this thought in mind, I went on searching for a "short" program to update my tech skills and finally land a long loved career in electronics/engineering. Little did I know that the UofR Coding Bootcamp would not be just a program, but a life-changing experience. What you learn in this program is not just to "code", it is self discipline, teamwork, time management and... Passion. Above all, you learn to be passionate. The drive and synergy that this program brings out of you is possibly the most amazing journey you'll experience. This is the type of program you go through to defy the odds against human potential. The genius and the average Joe turn out to be the same hero after 6 months and what is the end product? An amazing career and everlasting friendship with the graduate crew :) aside from my very subjective insight, my objective comments are: John is an extraordinary instructor who seems to have the patience of a saint, Yuri is the one who will help you see that this world is just awesome because there are people like her, and the TAs will be your friends even after 9:30 p.m. when everyone is ready to throw the computer out the window. Honestly, I would do it all over again!
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamThursday, Feb 21 2019Way to go, Carla! We love hearing you had such a life-changing experience at our boot camp. We're happy you found our boot camp team to be supportive and encouraging — we also agree that the entire TA team, Yuri, and John are fantastic. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate your review! Best of luck as you move forward on this new path.
- A Life Changing Experience !- 2/11/2019Kevin Kafuku • Application Developer - Capital One • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via LinkedIn
Words could never explain how grateful I am for the drastic change of events that have recently sparked off in my life because of this community, because of this FAMILY. I never thought of myself to be the smartest person in the room, nor the most talented. In college, I would always be the last to understand things. Constantly I’d feel a huge burden to my peers for asking so many of what seemed to be "stupid" questions, and this would be after hours and hours of reading/studying and lecture. Never would I have imagined myself in the position I am today, living my dream, being somewhere I am valued and doing something I have a deep love for. Trilogy Education & The University of Richmond made this dream possible, and it is to them I owe a huge amount of thanks and gratitude towards.
Before I enrolled in this program, I was working full time at a Hyundai Dealership managing internet sales and help desk tickets while pursuing my Associates Degree at a small Community College. Although the money was great, I sacrificed too much of my real life. Working almost 80 hours a week while trying to balance my education as well as my personal life wasn't exactly living up to my expectations. On multiple occasions I’d find myself at work, thinking “is this really it ? is this really what my life is about ?”, although only being 20 years old at the time and not realizing there was so much more ahead of me, I was too eager and too ready to succeed to leave my fate up to chance. I had little to no experience in the real IT world besides the basics from Youtube Videos I’d browsed in High-School along with a small IT Fundamentals workshop certificate, and creating a few silly websites In some of my college elective courses, but I always had a love for technology and a very curious mind to how things work.
What really pushed me to pursue this field, was actually my clientele & my family. I’d probably had met close to a thousand people where I work who were living a very successful lifestyle that I admired very much. These are the people who always mentioned to me about tech being a very lucrative, very challenging, and yet rewarding and demanding field. So I listened, I did my research and to my excitement, this program found me. I will say without a doubt the 6 month journey I embarked on within this program not only prepared me more for a career than any other college course I’ve taken, but it built character within me, it taught me perseverance and it brought me close to a group of people that I proudly call a family. After constant late nights of studying (which really means screaming at my computer), probably a million questions, and just going what the heck sometimes, before the blink of an eye, it was all over. On multiple occasions during the course and especially towards the end, there were times where I still didn’t believe In myself or felt as if I didn’t make the best of it, times where I still felt as if I wasn’t smart enough although many of my classmates felt different and reminded me so. At the end of the day I knew I worked as hard as possible and trusted that eventually, the reward would start to show.
Despite all of this doubt in my heart, 1 month before graduation I obtained my first job offer within the Software Engineering field and I must say it felt unreal to achieve such a great milestone with the help of such an amazing supporting cast that was my classroom peers and my instructional staff. I was the first person within my cohort to do so and for once in my life, I felt that my hard work had finally paid off. Following our class Demo Day and Graduation many, many, more offers & opportunities would come, it even came to a point & time where I was blessed with multiple options and boy did I use them to my advantage. It felt amazing knowing that I was in demand, that I was in control of my future for once, that I was truly happy !
Today I work as an Application Developer at Capital One and I enjoy every moment that I am here. I make almost double my previous salary, I work 40 hours a week, I enjoy my afternoons with my family, I wake up excited to go to work, I drive home every day with a huge smile on my face even in that drastic 5 o'clock traffic, I’m grateful. As I said, I never felt like I was the best at anything, but I believe I had the best people around me. I believe I had the best support system, the best Teachers as well as the best Teaching Assistants, and the best career coaches (who are actually more of cheerleaders by the way, and they're absolutely great at it). I believe this program is a life changing experience for anyone who chooses to embark on it and puts their best foot forward. I strongly encourage anyone who is hesitant to pursue this field, to do it. I’d like to think if I could do it, anything is possible. I promise if you don’t gain anything, you will learn something new (about yourself as well), you will gain courage, you will gain a new hunger for success and most importantly, you will gain a happy memory of the fulfillment in which you achieved with a group of beautiful people.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamMonday, Feb 11 2019Thank you for sharing your experience, Kevin! We're thrilled you launched a new career with the help of our program and are enjoying your new developer role. Our entire team is truly passionate about what they do, so it's great to hear you felt supported and encouraged by them in your journey. Like you said, anything is possible if you have the drive and put in the hard work. Congratulations on successfully graduating, we commend your dedication! We wish you continued success in all your coding goals.
- Game changer!- 2/7/2019Lori • Dev Ops Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via LinkedIn
I am so glad I decided to invest in myself by taking this program. A year ago, I didn't have any experience in tech and was dreading going to work everyday in a dead end career. In six short months, I completely turned my life around.
The class began with the basics of making simple web pages using HTML and CSS, and progressed all the way to making full stack applications by the end of the program. It was fast paced, but also very thorough. I am especially grateful for the support of instructors, TAs, and Career Services. Everyone seemed genuinely interested in helping students succeed.
The most memorable day of boot camp was Project Demo Night, during which local employers visit campus to see students' projects. Some students, including myself, were able to land interviews and even job opportunities because of this special event.
The UR Coding Boot Camp was one of the most difficult challenges I've ever pursued, but I'm so glad I did. I LOVE going to work everyday as a developer now.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamFriday, Feb 08 2019Amazing, Lori! Thank you for choosing our program to make such a significant career change, we're thrilled you were able to learn the fundamentals of web development.It's great that you felt supported by our team every step of the way. Congratulations on graduating and landing an exciting new role! We are rooting you on in all your future endeavors.