University of Richmond Boot Camps
The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.
Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, University of Richmond Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.
Throughout the boot camps, students will have access to career-planning services, resume and portfolio reviews, technical interview training, virtual tech panels, 1:1 coaching, and more. Upon program completion, students will receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Richmond and will have a diverse portfolio of projects in our coding and data analytics programs or skills applicable to certifications in cybersecurity.
University of Richmond Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.
Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.82
Recent University of Richmond Boot Camps News
Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $11,495 Class size N/A Location RichmondUniversity of Richmond Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
Minimum Skill Level Beginner Prep Work Pre-work Placement Test No Interview Yes
OnlinePart Time10 Hours/week24 Weeks
Minimum Skill Level Beginner Prep Work Pre-work Placement Test No Interview Yes
- Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive University of Richmond Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!
EligibilityOffer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship. & This scholarship cannot be combined with other offers.
- Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Richmond)
University of Richmond Boot Camps Reviews
56 reviews sorted by:
- Curriculum is challenging.- 2/17/2021Fasahath Syeda • Graduate • Course: Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHubI definitely enjoyed the course being from computer background. It helped me bridge the employment gap I had. Now I am ready to apply the knowledge I gained in the real world. A great shout out to Tim, Jamie for all the help. The tutoring session helped a lot too. Love the 1 on 1 career sessions available after graduation. Definetly recommend this.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamFriday, Feb 26 2021Amazing, Fasahath! We're thrilled you had a positive boot camp experience and that you benefited from the help of our entire team. We also have to agree that Tim and Jamie are pretty fantastic at what they do. Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review! Best of luck moving forward.
- Data Visualization- 2/7/2021L.I. Villaranda • Graduate • Course: Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHubThis was most certainly a challenging course. I enjoyed the way Tim taught the course. To me personally, Jamie and Sara were the most helpful TAs over the course. Christopher, the Student Success Manager, was understanding and offered help when I needed to extend due dates, as well as marking attendance. The course taught me that there are always multiple ways to view a dataset, as well as visualizing it. It also taught me that assumptions should not be made when reviewing a dataset, as it can skew the way you are able to manipulate or even visualize it. I liked a majority of topics we reviewed, but surprisingly, did not enjoy the Tableau week. I'd highly recommend this course for anyone interested analyzing data and perhaps looking for a change of careers.
This program also comes with tutoring services, which I thoroughly appreciated. My tutor, Niharika, was fantastic. She would explain processes, if I did not understand specific functions of language I was working on. Her help was invaluable, as she would review my code when I would get stuck or did not end up with the correct answer. She would even review my projects to make them better and would Zoom call if she felt that it would be easier to explain via actual conversion versus chatting via Slack.
SN: I have yet to fully utilize career services, but plan to do so in the coming weeks. They have reached out multiple times over the program, so I would say that it is an engaging service available to all who are interested.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamFriday, Feb 12 2021Incredible, L.I.! We're glad you enjoyed the program and benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team—we couldn't agree more that Tim, Jamie, Sara, Niharika, and Christopher are all pretty fantastic. Great advice for prospective students on taking advantage of all the available resources, including tutoring. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we appreciate your recommendation! We look forward to providing you with career assistance and can't wait to see what you'll accomplish with your newfound skills.
- Honest word- 9/16/2020You • Student • Course: Cybersecurity - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHubTeachers demonstrate knowledge of the curriculum and teach accurate, up to date technical information. John shows concern for the students, engages, and supports everyone logically, and clearly, he establishes a level of difficulty which encourages success.
I like how materials and resources are presented, the current lessons and previous lessons are always related.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamWednesday, Sep 16 2020Amazing, thank you for your review! We're glad you're enjoying the course material and are finding our instructional team to be knowledgeable. We also think that John is not only an amazing teacher but a great supporter of all our students. We wish you all the best as you finish out the boot camp!
- Cybersecurity- 9/12/2020Shelia Spurlock-Tupponce • Program Support Analyst II • Student • Course: Cybersecurity - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via LinkedInJohn is my cybersecurity instructor and he is excellent. He has in-depth knowledge of the subject matter. He tends to moves fast through the demo, but he alway asks if there are any questions before proceeding to the activity or the next topic. He gives great examples or analogies to help us understand the subject. Lord knows he has the patiences of "Job" and he is never condescending. He is always uplifting and cheerful. He and Thor are very supportive and encouraging. The course is fast paced, but overall I am enjoying the course and I have learned more in this bootcamp than I have working in the field for more than 10 years.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamWednesday, Sep 16 2020Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Shelia! We're happy to hear our instructional team is proving to be valuable throughout your journey and that you're finding your instructor to be uplifting and encouraging. We also agree that John is fantastic. We look forward to helping you through the completion of the boot camp and seeing what you will continue to achieve!
- Fantastic Course- 8/2/2019Alexa Oswald • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via LinkedIn
I highly recommend the coding bootcamp at the University of Richmond. A year ago I knew I wanted to go back to school but a four year bachelors degree seemed out of reach at the time, so the bootcamp was exactly what I needed to get a jump start in the direction I wanted to go. At every turn, the bootcamp exceeded my expectations- the level of instruction, academic support, and career support were well worth my time and the cost of the progam. I was really drawn to the coding bootcamp because the subject matter was concentrated on what I was looking to learn, and the career services help throughout the course and up to three months after graduation. This was my first venture into the tech field and it was really difficult jumping in without prior experience, but I learned so much and career services helped with interview skills, networking, my resume, and my portfolio, so right after graduation I was applying for and interviewing for positions. Just over a month after the bootcamp ended I started as a software developer and I love the work that I do now and I'm so glad I went through the coding bootcamp.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamThursday, Aug 08 2019We appreciate your review, Alexa! We're glad to hear you had a positive student experience and felt supported throughout every step of the way. We commend all your hard work and are thrilled you were able to successfully transition into a new career path. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in all your future endeavors!
- Super Supportive, Great for Career Switching- 6/8/2019Allie • Data Quality Analyst • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHub
I attended the Full Stack Web Development boot camp at UR for a career switch. I used to be a high school science teacher and I simply didn't love that job. I decided to complete the boot camp and career switch in motivation to find a job and work that I truly felt passionate about.
I thoroughly enjoyed this course, and it has allowed me to make a huge transition in my life! The total program really does help you if you're interested in switching careers, simply getting started with web development coding languages, or if you're just interested in learning new things quickly.
While the boot camp moves very fast and can be very demanding, this program is incredibly supportive - something that was very important to me. Before and after every class are office hours where the instructor and TA's are around to help answer questions, debug your work, and provide any other advice/assistance through the whole program and process. My instructor was absolutely incredible and a very skilled teacher. You also have access to a wide variety of career service tools and resources, as well as a Student Success Manager who came to my rescue a few times through the tough course!
The curriculum is great for absolute beginners, moves fast, and is kept current through minor changes as the current job market shifts in Richmond, VA. They truly want to do everything they can to set you up to be employable at the conclusion of the program.
It became obvious that you will always only get what you put into your coursework. Ultimately, you to decide how detailed your education of the content is going to be during this program. You aren't babied through the program, and your hand isn't held through every line of code. Otherwise it would be impossible to get through this program in a timely manner. At first it was intimidating for me and several of my peers to throw ourselves into a program that demands so much self-advocacy. Fairly quickly, though, I figured out a routine and got into a groove. Therefore, I also needed to continue to push myself to do my best. I found this aspect to be an incredibly valuable learning experience.
After graduation you still get access to career service resources that were also very valuable to me. This provided a support system as well as an unbiased source for advice through the job hunting process. Much like the boot camp coursework, you will have to put in the work to find a job because nobody can do this for you. Still, they offer a variety of advice focused on this industry that helped me land a job one month upon graduation!
Some areas for improvement for this program:
2. Career Services: Overall this department is great. However, the video sessions aren't as helpful as I thought they would be (at least to me).
3. Demo Night: This is a super important day/night where you present your final project to potential employers. It would be helpful if the program could bring in professionals from a larger variety of companies to further help those of us new to this industry network our way into that first job. I wasn't disappointed in the turn out for my demo night, but I think this could be improved. The night has such significance that bringing in more companies and professionals would certainly help all students land jobs faster upon graduation.
Overall, if you are in the Richmond, VA area this is the best coding boot camp you will find that has classes in person! It's remarkable how much I've learned and grown throughout this program, and I'm super grateful for the overall experience!
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamTuesday, Jun 11 2019Thanks so much, Allie! We're happy you were able to discover a career path you're truly passionate about. It's great to know you utilized all the boot camp's resources and found our entire team to be supportive throughout your journey. Great advice for prospective students—you get what you put into the course, so dedicating extensive time to mastering the material will truly help you succeed. We're always looking to optimize our offerings, so we appreciate all your helpful feedback. Congratulations on completing the boot camp, we wish you all the best moving forward!
- Great place to learn and grow- 2/22/2019Patrick Lehmann • Associate Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHub
Before coming to the U of R Coding Bootcamp, I was working as a natural gas mechanic. I knew that something had to change because I was unhappy in my previous role but didn't know where to start looking for something knew. I wanted a career I was passionate about, not just a way to pay to the bills. I had seen friends go to coding bootcamps and come out with successful careers and it intrigued me. After some research of my own, I made a decision to sign up myself. From the beginning of the course, I was challenged and kept interested by the workload. The instructors made coming to class fun and interesting, and I looked forward to completing my assignments. The most important skill I had recieved from the bootcamp was to learn how to learn. Technologies change so fast and its important to be able to pivot from one technology, library or framework to another. I was able to take my desirable skillset and within 3 months of graduation, I was offered a position of Associate Software Developer at Homes.com in Norfolk, VA. I am very grateful for everyone from the bootcamp who helped me along the way and would definitely recommend this course to others.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamMonday, Feb 25 2019Way to go, Patrick! We're thrilled you chose our program to make a significant career change. We're glad you looked forward to working on your assignments and enjoyed the support of our instructional team. Congratulations on graduating and your exciting new role! We're confident you'll go on to do great things with your newfound web development skills.
- A Great Starting Point- 2/21/2019Charles Gilker • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHubThis course provided me with a very solid jumping off point to begin an exciting career in tech. Through the curriculum you will develop sought after skills, learn the fundamentals of multiple coding languages, and develop projects that will demonstrate your ability to potential employers. While the pace of the class was brutal, the excellent support staff, instructors and TAs will make sure you succeed. After completing the flex fullstack program I was contacted by the CIO of my employer to work as a consultant on a large UI/UX project being developed by the agency. My certification along with the large collection of projects created during the bootcamp were cited as key factors as to why i was sought out. I am now hoping to aid in the pursuits of other other perspective developers by working as a substitute teaching assistant for the program. All in all, this program was a wise investment that has greatly altered my future career trajectory.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamFriday, Feb 22 2019Thank you for sharing your journey, Charles! We're glad you enjoyed the curriculum and benefited from our entire team's support. We appreciate you returning to TA for us and continuing to assist other students. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you the best in all your coding goals!
- Great Experience- 2/21/2019Peter C • Developer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHub
Overall my time in the course has been transformative. My instructor was awesome and there always plenty of support for when I found myself struggling. This program helped me land a job in the industry soon after graduating, but I have also returned to the program to work as a TA, which I have greatly enjoyed. This program has served me well and I would recommend it to anyone who is considering enrollment. From my time as a student, and as a TA, I'm confident that anyone who puts the time & effort in and is committed to becoming a developer will succeed in this program.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamFriday, Feb 22 2019Amazing, Peter! We're happy to hear this program has been transformative and helped you land a role in the tech industry. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we appreciate your review! Best of luck in your future endeavors.
- Solid Introduction to Coding- 2/21/2019John Blackwell • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHub
Great advice related to our career services — students should take advantage of all our available resources, as well as attend local meetups and network with alumni. We want all of our learners to feel prepared as they start the job search, so we truly appreciate your input. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for returning to tutor for us! We're rooting you on in your new role.
- From Mechanic to Developer- 2/21/2019Jay Krauss • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via GitHubFrom oil and grease to air conditioning and vacation days. So often in life we are shown a path that seems completely out of the question. The trajectory of which is frightening and of questionable success, or so we think. We let those moments pass us by in favor of the familiar, the safe if unfulfilling. We drift through on our normal path, running our ruts deeper and longer. But sometimes those paths are the only way to set you free, to change the trajectory of your entire life. Such a path is the coding bootcamp. I quit my job, a ten year career path, and an industry that I was very well qualified in.. all to throw my dice onto another table. Six months of grueling work, sleepless nights and a rapidly thinning wallet, I find myself rebuilt onto a developer. It was not easy. Nothing truly worth it is. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. And one of the most incredibly satisfying.
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamFriday, Feb 22 2019We appreciate you sharing your review, Jay! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We commend all your hard work and sleepless nights towards successfully learning the fundamentals of web development. Congratulations on graduating, we are incredibly proud of you! We wish you continued success in all that you do.
- More Than Just a Course- 2/20/2019Carla Cox • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Flex - Part-Time • Campus: Richmond • Verified via LinkedInThese days we are so overwhelmed by academic courses, college paths, and even certificate programs of some sort that promise us success and financial freedom. With all these options out there, it is sometimes easy to choose the wrong path. While keeping this thought in mind, I went on searching for a "short" program to update my tech skills and finally land a long loved career in electronics/engineering. Little did I know that the UofR Coding Bootcamp would not be just a program, but a life-changing experience. What you learn in this program is not just to "code", it is self discipline, teamwork, time management and... Passion. Above all, you learn to be passionate. The drive and synergy that this program brings out of you is possibly the most amazing journey you'll experience. This is the type of program you go through to defy the odds against human potential. The genius and the average Joe turn out to be the same hero after 6 months and what is the end product? An amazing career and everlasting friendship with the graduate crew :) aside from my very subjective insight, my objective comments are: John is an extraordinary instructor who seems to have the patience of a saint, Yuri is the one who will help you see that this world is just awesome because there are people like her, and the TAs will be your friends even after 9:30 p.m. when everyone is ready to throw the computer out the window. Honestly, I would do it all over again!
Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Richmond Boot CampsTitle: Community TeamThursday, Feb 21 2019Way to go, Carla! We love hearing you had such a life-changing experience at our boot camp. We're happy you found our boot camp team to be supportive and encouraging — we also agree that the entire TA team, Yuri, and John are fantastic. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate your review! Best of luck as you move forward on this new path.