codeup-logo

Codeup

Dallas, San Antonio

Codeup

Codeup is an immersive 22-week, in-person full stack web development, and data science career accelerator in San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston. The Full Stack Web Development Java program covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Spring, and MySQL. The Data Science Program covers Python, SQL, data visualization, data analytics, data wrangling, and statistics. Codeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation.

Prospective students must submit a brief online application, interview with the Codeup team, and then pass a 40-minute test covering word problems, logic problems, and basic algebra. The application process is looking for three things: professionalism, motivation, and problem-solving ability. The most successful Codeup students are prepared to jump into careers as developers and data scientists, have a true motivation to become developers and enjoy the challenge of solving complex problems.

Codeup has a dedicated staff, employer network, and community partnerships to help students land entry-level positions in software development or data science. Students receive help on the job search through workshops, job fairs, and one-on-one support to navigate the tech industry.

Recent Codeup Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (38) reviews for Codeup →

Recent Codeup News

Read all (9) articles about Codeup →
  • Data Science

LocationSan Antonio
    Codeup is an immersive 20-week, in-person full stack web development and data science career accelerator in San Antonio, Texas. ou will turn data into actionable intelligence and influence business decisions using Python, SQL, Machine Learning, data wrangling, data exploration, and data storytelling.
    DepositA $1,000 is required up front to reserve your seat in class, and that cost is deducted from your overall cost of tuition.
    We offer financing through our three loan partners, SkillsFund, Meritize, and Climb.
    Refund / GuaranteeCodeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation, contact Codeup directly to learn more about their refund program.
    ScholarshipWe offer over $25,000 in scholarships to each cohort to women in tech, minorities, LGBTQIA individuals, veterans, first responders, and relocators.
    Minimum Skill LevelBackground in a combination of math, stats, programming, business experience, and strong written/verbal communication. Our admissions process will gather a variety of data points to ensure each student will be successful in our program!
  • Full-Stack Web Development - Java

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End
    LocationSan Antonio
    The Full Stack Web Development Java program covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Spring, and MySQL. Codeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation. Contact Codeup directly to learn more about their refund program.
    Deposit$1000 (part of total tuition cost)
    Codeup offers a wide variety of financing:
    • VA benefits
    • Financing through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    • Grants through Project Quest, Workforce Solutions Alamo, DARS, and TechWorks
    Scholarship$10,000 in scholarships to Women in Tech. $10,000 in scholarships to Minorities in Tech. $1,000 scholarships to LGBTQIA+, Veterans, Relocators, and First Responders.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkOnline pre-work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
  • Full-Stack Web Development - Java

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End
    LocationDallas
    Deposit$1000 (part of total tuition cost)
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkOnline pre-work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

• Sarah B  User Photo
    Sarah B • Full Stack Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Okay.. so you want to go to a bootcamp? Choose Codeup!!

Everything about Codeup, from the staff, environment, and it's Full Stack Development curriculum, were great. The course is fast-paced, however you are informed of the course expectations before enrolling, and ensuring the program is a good fit for you. The instructors have great knowledge and do a great job explaining the course material, to ensure students better understand course topics. Instructors are willing to assist in questions and available for office hours, if needed. In this program, you get what you put in, for sure! I did not have any previous knowledge in tech, and learning everything in this course quickly was a challenge, but definitely worth it! Prior to completing the program, you work closely with a Career Placement Advisor, who takes the time to get to know you and ask you about what type of positions and workplace YOU are interested in. Codeup promises that if you can not find a job after completing the course, you get your money back - and there's no catch! They even offer grants, scholarships, and partner with lenders for financial assistance.

Going through the program and, and in my case, having multiple job offers before fully completing my capstone project, shows me that Codeup is 100% serious (and confident!!) about wanting to be able to assist you in changing your life for the better!

• Alec Hartman  User Photo
    Alec Hartman • Financial Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Codeup is world-class in the three primary criteria one should consider when evaluating a technical school.

The instructors are seasoned data scientists with expertise in a variety of fields including computer science, business intelligence, machine learning, education, and engineering. The Codeup data science staff are true partners of their students spurring their pupils on towards excellence throughout program and making time for mentorship thereafter. These folks are exceptionally talented data scientists, invaluable mentors, and compassionate teachers who take a genuine interest in their students. You will be ready to excel in your next career thanks to the instruction provided by Zach, Maggie, Ryan, Faith, and Ravinder.

The curriculum offered at Codeup is highly relevant and constantly evolving in accordance with the ever-changing data science landscape. You will learn the ins and outs of technical tools like Git, SQL, python, Jupyter Notebooks, and Tableau while applying your new skill set to various projects designed to emulate real business problems. By the conclusion of the course you will have gained competencies in applied data science methodologies such as Classification, Regression, Clustering, Time Series, and Natural Language Processing to name a few.

Perhaps most importantly, Codeup's primary differentiator among the vast landscape of coding bootcamps is their corporate development/placement team and policies. Codeup is no joke. If you don't find a job within six months of graduation they guarantee a full refund of your tuition. But let's be honest, you're primary ambition is not getting effectively free world-class data science instruction. You're considering Codeup because of the hope of a new opportunity that awaits you on the other side of the program. The money back guarantee merely aligns your interest of getting a great new job with Codeup's interest in getting you placed in that job, which is exactly what Stephen and his team are for! You will be primed for your job search thanks to the professional development component of this program. You will not only craft a resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile updated with your new skills, but you will also have the opportunity to show off your knowledge during mock interviews and, of course, during your capstone presentations on Data Scientist Day (an event designed to showcase your talents to an audience of Codeup's network of employer partners).

Finally, Codeup is not like other bootcamps where you sign an income sharing agreement (ISA) based on your future salary. Codeup is not in business to be a hindrance to your career. Codeup's primary ambition is your success. Codeup is the Yoda to your Jedi in training.

Come ready to learn, open to constructive criticism, and full of ambition each day and you will be bound for success!
  • Codeup or Shut Up
    - 12/11/2020
    Chase Thompson  User Photo
    Chase Thompson • Business Insights Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    You're sitting there considering four or five different options - not even bootcamps or coding accelerators.

Should I go back to university?

Should I just try to get another job?

Should I go to this bootcamp or that one?

You've made Pros and Cons lists, you've talked it over with everyone that will listen to you babble on about it again and again. My simple message to you, Codeup or Shut Up.

Codeup's exceptional experience starts during the admission process. The first thing you'll realize when you start the process is how much everyone cares about you and your outcome - which is key. The admission process is not easy, and the cost to attend Codeup is not cheap. You are not a number to the Codeup team. They fully understand the investment you are making in your future by considering Codeup, which is reflected from the first conversation you have with them.

After you've made it into the program, you're given extensive pre-work to do prior to starting with your cohort - which is important, and shouldn't worry you. It is difficult, but is laid out in a way to prepare you for your time at Codeup. Once you start it is a whirlwind of daily introductions to new concepts, techniques, methodologies, and technologies. It is a testament to the incredible instructors that all of this is not insurmountable, but manageable.

Have you ever found yourself trying to learn guitar from a friend that's an amazing player, yet they can't seem to translate their knowledge and ability to you in any discernible way? That is the problem with so many bootcamps and accelerators. Those teaching are knowledgable and capable, but translating that information is the game-changer. Codeup has data scientist practitioners, that also have the teaching chops to backup the skills. The curriculum is incredibly robust, but what sets it apart is all the practical, real data science work that you'll do. Having been in the industry now, I can tell you that there is a massive difference in knowing facts and trivia, and really being able to put in the work, AND THEN PRESENT THAT WORK. The number of data scientists that I've seen coming out of other bootcamps, accelerators, or universities that can't speak professionally, with business focused insights, about the work they've done is crazy. Codeup teaches you what it means to be a professional, doing real world data science.

Now we'll touch base on what you've all really come here for, dat job tho. I would put Codeup's placement team up against absolutely anyone else's, and expect nothing less than pure domination. I'll let them talk about guarantees of delivery, what they plan to do, etc. What I'll tell you is, all they are focused on is YOUR OUTCOME. At the end of my time with Codeup, the world was eyeballs deep in a pandemic. Unemployment and jobless numbers were looking bleak. Was it easy to find a role straight away? Sure it happened for some of those in my cohort - many in fact. That wasn't the case for me. But, Codeup's placement team was in lockstep with my  tenacious and effort because they were focused on my outcome. During what many would consider a tumultuous time, Codeup's placement team was there with employer partner introductions, interview prep assistance, feedback on resumes and cover letters, and so much more. They were never further away than a text, Slack message, or phone call.

To this day, I still marvel at the time and effort everyone took along the way. From the free workshops, that got Codeup on my radar (btw, definitely attend those!!!), to the help understanding financial aid assistance from the admissions team, to the instructors, the placement team... that time the CEO came into a breakout room and talked with a few of us for almost an hour. Its an organization that runs with care for the tech community from the top-down, and it shows in every way possible.

In my cohort we had people with degrees in mechanical engineering, former NSA analyst, an all-source intelligence analyst, a guy that played guitar in a band professional for a decade, a former stand-up comedian, etc. Myself, I have an extensive background in marketing and business development - without a degree. They can't do any of it for you, you have to come in and work your face off. You will be uncomfortable most of the time. You'll learn new programming languages, statistical methodologies, data science techniques and technologies. You'll do it in a truncated timeframe. But, if you are as dedicated and focus on your outcome as Codeup is, you'll make it through to the end with the skills and ability to achieve great things in a career as a data scientist.

If you want to become a data scientist that can hit the ground running within any organization lucky enough to have you, then Codeup should be number one on your list of considerations.
  • Life Changing
    - 12/4/2020
    Jada Shipp  User Photo
    Jada Shipp • Business Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This program is AMAZING! I had no previous tech experience and Codeup brought me up to speed quickly and thoroughly. The instructors are experienced, thoughtful and deliberate about everything they do. Every single assignment, presentation, exercise, line of code I wrote had a distinct purpose. Codeup as a unit is flexible and reacted to the changing work environment due to COVID with real finesse while still delivering quality "hands on" instruction. The staff and instructors actually care about getting to know you, fostering your strengths and smoothing out your weaknesses. They are open to feedback and actually act on it in real time in the interest of their students. The placement team at Codeup up and especially Stephen Salas deserve a big pat on the back. He worked tirelessly around the clock, starting before I even graduated, to help me (and the rest of my cohort) land amazing jobs despite all the roadblocks put up by the pandemic. That's the true value of Codeup. They don't just teach you what you need to know, they help you use it in real life at an actual job. Last year I had no career and no clue what I was going to do. This year I have a career path I'm stoked about and it's all thanks to the hard work of everyone at Codeup.
  • Jonathan Lemman  User Photo
    Jonathan Lemman • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Im not very good at writing my thoughts but here it goes. I started on my coding journey about 2 years ago, I like many others went the self taught route to save money. After about 1 year of self learning I was having the hardest time getting in front of employers and many of the recruiters even ask if I heard about coding bootcamps. So many months pass by and I see the Codeup billboard which I then wonder over the next few weeks if its for me. My wife and I look into it to discover the price which scared me away instantly because of some schools on the news that took others money year back (no name drops here). I was able to get my wife on board by begging her to take a shot on it and hopefully on the best investment for my future. The best investment I have ever made!!! The course is 20 weeks which went by way to fast and I built so many great relationships. I graduated Dec. 2019 and started working for one of the biggest companies in SA a month later. Today I make about 5x what I use to make and I work remotely. I am living the dream and I cant stress this enough. Codeup has changed my life in such a way that I cant even put it into words really. All I can say is thank you for all that ya'll have done for me. I am building my first home which will be done in about 6 month and this was all because of Codeup. I will continue sending everyone I know there to help change their lives like mine was changed. P.S. Some other bootcamps actually hire Codeup students to teach their classes. So if your looking for a bootcamp I would take the one that builds teachers for other bootcamps. Just my thought.
  • Joaquin Andres Silva  User Photo
    Joaquin Andres Silva • Software Engineer Analyst • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Codeup changed my life!

Prior to Codeup, I had been working as an administrative assistant in a law office for 9 years managing case files and drafting legal documents. Although I enjoyed seeing the difference I was making in helping people in difficult situations, I knew that law school wasn't for me and that I was no longer growing at work. I had a job, but I was missing a career.

So, I started searching for a new career field that was in high demand, and I eventually came across the IT industry. Realizing how diverse the IT industry actually is, I discovered the allure of web development. Web development seemed so fun, and I learned it was a field that is accessible and achievable without the need for a 4 year degree due to the existence of coding bootcamps. Researching bootcamps in the country for web development, I discovered that by fate, I had access to a bootcamp in my own city of San Antonio, Texas.

Contacting Codeup was extremely easy, and I was invited right away to come take a tour of their facilities and to see the classes. I witnessed the teachers instructing the students and observed the students as they were working through their exercises and asking follow up questions and receiving additional guidance from the instructors. The instructors even came out to greet me and allowed me to ask them any questions I had about the curriculum and the bootcamp in general. I was extremely impressed with the learning environment and the knowledge of the instructors. I knew this is where I needed to be.

I enrolled in the 20 week Web Development Full Stack Java program, where I learned about so many fundamental and integral pieces of web development, from different computer programming languages, to computer programming and testing tools, to creating real applications and even presenting the product in a demo to potential employers. The experience and curriculum was first rate, and the instructors were amazing!

Not only did Codeup "teach me how to fish" by providing me with the knowledge, tools, and confidence to always continue learning, they also worked with potential employers who would interview the students for potential job positions. One of these interviews led to me receiving a job offer from a large company that offers fantastic opportunities for self-improvement, training, and certifications in various IT technologies.

Although I absolutely love and enjoy my coding job and all the freedom and support I have from my company to grow my skills, most of all, I love that I finally have a career I can truly call my own. For that, I have Codeup to thank.
  • Daniel Guerrero  User Photo
    Daniel Guerrero • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    If you have struggle to teach yourself python through the endless trap of free coding tutorials online, but you are still committed to learning all the skills that a successful data scientist needs - then you should really consider Codeup. I, like many people, came into the program with no coding experience. I had endlessly tried to teach myself by watching Youtube tutorials, but I felt that I wasn't really grasping anything.

Once I joined Codeup though, I immediately started noticing improvements. I went from struggling to write a "Hello World" print statement, to building complex command-line apps in a month, and that really was the beginning. While at Codeup, I learned how to successfully build machine learning algorithms to help answer a wide variety of problems. However, the reason why Codeup works so well, is because they don't just teach you how to write code and then move on. There is a considerable amount of time spent on how to actually tackle business relevant questions, and how to communicate your insights in an effective manner. These soft-skills, while might not look as good on a resume, will certainly give you an edge once you get employed, as these are the skills that every data scientist also needs to be successful.

The last thing that is worth mentioning is the fact that they have a phenomenal team dedicated solely to get you hired after you finish. Even before you are done with the program, you get one-on-one guidance to help understand what your goals and desires are for a job, and they work closely with you to help you achieve those goals. Even during the middle of the pandemic lockdown, their team helped me get a job offer within a month of finishing the program, and I really owe it to not only the preparation that the program has given me, but also the work that goes into helping you make connections and facilitate the job interview process.

If you are really serious about transitioning to a data science role - I highly recommend you consider Codeup, as it will give you the skills necessary to be successful, and they will help jumpstart your career by actually helping you transition into a professional role.
  • Amber Jones  User Photo
    Amber Jones • Application Developer in Payments at SWBC • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As I think back through my time at Codeup, I am pleased to say that every second of my attendance was valued by the staff and utilized for growth both mentally and professionally. Codeup staffs well-versed employees in all divisions of their company, including technology, strategic partnership, and product managing. By doing this, they can provide the best caliber education possible. In every city, the market slightly differs, and Codeup is aware of its surroundings. They are open to new evolving technology that is sought after, therefore producing a product like myself that will provide benefits to large corporations. Attending Codeup is more than just a prestigious education, you become part of the Codeup family and get to be apart of the Codeup name which rings highly throughout the walls of many technology companies. I highly recommend Codeup, if you are unsure, give them a call and you will immediately recognize the difference.
  • Bryan W  User Photo
    Bryan W • Lead Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Looking at a career transition is tough. Even after I knew I wanted to focus on a career in software development I still had the task of deciding how to proceed. Even once I decided that the boot camp approach was what I was going for I still had to decide on the best program for me. I visited campuses of 4 boot camps in the area, Codeup being my last. My mind was made up after my initial visit and chat with admissions.

I made my way through the prework as my first day of class approached, becoming more and more excited. The very first day was a whirlwind of meeting new people, getting your tech set up, and getting a general lay of the land. We then immediately jumped into the learning and didn't stop. The instructors even went out of their way to provide us some Holiday Challenges during the break to keep us on our toes. The whole experience wrapped up with a capstone project which forces you to complete a full-stack web application from start to finish and then to demo this project as the culmination of your learning over the past six months to a room full of family, friends, and potential employers.

I'm very happy with my outcome from Codeup and what I learned during my time there. Codeup did a great job of promoting immersion, "learning by doing," and would not only teach us how to code but also how to ask the right questions, how to be autodidactic, and how to market yourself as a developer. All this combined with the technical skills ensures that my fellow Codeup alumni are ready to tackle anything; problems don't scare us, they excite us.

You get out what you put in... and I put in a ton but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Thanks, Codeup, go Deimos!
  • Chris Aguirre  User Photo
    Chris Aguirre • Salesforce Developer Associate • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    When I first reached out to Codeup to see if I wanted to make the jump into a new career I had the pleasure of meeting the admissions team. They were very knowledgable, helpful, and super nice. I heard the staff was friendly and professional but you never really know how true something is until you experience it for yourself. I was told about the curriculum and how much it covered and found that it matched a lot of jobs that were in high demand in the city, so I thought if the admissions team was this nice I can imagine the rest of the staff. Having no prior coding knowledge, going through the course was a little hectic. It moves at a fast pace because there are a lot of things to cover in a short amount of time. The instructors are exceptional at teaching in bite-sized chunks that are easy to digest and easy to retain. From code along lessons to 1 on 1 meetings before or after class they really are there to make sure you have what you need to succeed in the course. Towards the end of the course you get to start working with the placement team who are friendly and helpful down to the details of if you want to stay local or if you're willing to re-locate to what kind of position you would feel more comfortable with. They help you set up a professional linked in page and teach you about networking to get yourself out there. Overall I had a great experience with this bootcamp and would recommend this to anyone who is interested in changing careers without hesitation.
  • Cameron Taylor  User Photo
    Cameron Taylor • Business Intelligence and Data Scientist, Senior Consultant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended their third data science cohort. They have a new cohort roughly every 6 months, and with each new iteration the course gets more and more impressive. We received lessons from 3 instructors, each of whom proved to be extraordinarily proficient at what they were teaching, both in the classroom and out. The two main benefits of Codeup are the extremely knowledgeable and helpful instructors, and the man working diligently every day behind the scenes to help us all get a job afterward: Stephen. Without his efforts, the massively impressive number of students who get a job in their field of study wouldn't be nearly as high. I had an amazing time there, and became friends with a number of my classmates afterwards as well. I could not have asked for a better way to enter the data science field.
  • Ted Zamarron  User Photo
    Ted Zamarron • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently went thru Codeup's Full Stack Web Development course and graduated June 2020. The course was very fast paced and you learn all you need for the basics. The staff is there to make sure you learn and will help you the best they can. Towards the end of your time you start preparing for applying for jobs with mock interviews, resume assistance and overall information.
    Halfway through my course we had to go virtual due to Covid and it was a rough transition but all the staff and instructors went above and beyond to ensure we got what we needed, provided we were willing to put forth the effort.
    Overall I would say that I enjoyed the course and would recommend it to anyone. You won't leave being a master at all, instead you learn the skill to learn anything in the field with a full alumni and others to support you through the course and after.
  • Matthew Zapata  User Photo
    Matthew Zapata • Data Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Codeup is for people who are looking to change careers into the tech industry. With their well planned curriculum, helpful instructors, and assistance with the job hunt, they really set you up for success. At the time of this review they are also offering a money back guarantee, so that helps relieve the risk of spending time and money if that is a concern.

I personally went into the program with no programming or machine learning experience, but I did have some statistics and basic knowledge of linear models. I would say this was the case for most students, they had some experience but were mostly new to what we would learn. As might be expected, going through a fast paced program (the weeks fly by) was challenging at times, so keep that in mind. This program is not something that most people will just breeze through. Some topics are harder than others so more work will need to done outside of the classroom to ensure you have a good understanding. I believe that the coursework itself lays a good foundation of data science skills so that you can feel comfortable applying to entry level roles and be prepared for interviews. The project portfolio that Codeup helps you build is an amazing thing to have as someone with no work experience. It allows you to showcase your new skills to employers and provides talking points during interviews. It also gives you hands on experience so you can apply what you learn to real data.

Of course, anyone going through this program is doing it so they can have a new job. Codeup's staff is great at helping with the job search. They talk with companies in the area to build interest, occasionally have companies come in to interview students, and have a Data Scientist Day so that employers can see the final group projects and meet with the students afterwards. Admittedly, the Data Science program is still new compared to the Web Development program. While the web dev program is established at this point as a good source of talent, most companies haven't had a chance to see what data science students can do. But don't let that deter you. In addition to the points mentioned above, Codeup also help you create resumes, LinkedIn and GitHub profiles, and get connections in the community. A lot of the interviews I got were from applying online, and I believe I only got those interviews because of my resume, LinkedIn profile, and GitHub repositories. So while a job offer might not immediately come, Codeup provides you good advice to stand out from other applicants and puts you in a good position to find a new job.

Finally, I just want to say that after working as a data analyst for 5 months that Codeup had prepared me well. I haven't yet had a project where I felt I didn't know what to do. I even knew some things that other members of my team didn't know (though that is probably the case for most teams since people tend to specialize in certain areas). In the end, attending Codeup was one of the best choices I ever made. I had been unemployed for several months before Codeup, stuck in the trap of trying to find an entry level job but every entry level job required experience. Before that I was working in a call center trying to get into vet school. Thanks to Codeup I now have a job I love and can afford to live the lifestyle I want.

Codeup Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 56 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read CodeUp's full CIRR Jobs Report here.