codeup-logo

Codeup

Dallas, San Antonio

Codeup

Codeup is an immersive 20-week, in-person full stack web development, and data science career accelerator in San Antonio and Dallas. The Full Stack Web Development Java program covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Spring, and MySQL. The Data Science Program covers Python, SQL, data visualization, data analytics, data wrangling, and statistics. Codeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation.

Prospective students must submit a brief online application, interview with the Codeup team, and then pass a 40-minute test covering word problems, logic problems, and basic algebra. The application process is looking for three things: professionalism, motivation, and problem-solving ability. The most successful Codeup students are prepared to jump into careers as developers and data scientists, have a true motivation to become developers and enjoy the challenge of solving complex problems.

Codeup has a dedicated staff, employer network, and community partnerships to help students land entry-level positions in software development or data science. Students receive help on the job search through workshops, job fairs, and one-on-one support to navigate the tech industry.

Recent Codeup Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (33) reviews for Codeup →

Recent Codeup News

Read all (9) articles about Codeup →
  • Data Science

Start Date November 2, 2020
    LocationSan Antonio
    Codeup is an immersive 20-week, in-person full stack web development and data science career accelerator in San Antonio, Texas. ou will turn data into actionable intelligence and influence business decisions using Python, SQL, Machine Learning, data wrangling, data exploration, and data storytelling.
    DepositA $1,000 is required up front to reserve your seat in class, and that cost is deducted from your overall cost of tuition.
    We offer financing through our three loan partners, SkillsFund, Meritize, and Climb.
    Refund / GuaranteeCodeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation, contact Codeup directly to learn more about their refund program.
    ScholarshipWe offer over $25,000 in scholarships to each cohort to women in tech, minorities, LGBTQIA individuals, veterans, first responders, and relocators.
    Minimum Skill LevelBackground in a combination of math, stats, programming, business experience, and strong written/verbal communication. Our admissions process will gather a variety of data points to ensure each student will be successful in our program!
    November 2, 2020 - San Antonio
  • Full-Stack Web Development - Java

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java, Front End
    Start Date November 16, 2020
    LocationSan Antonio
    The Full Stack Web Development Java program covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Spring, and MySQL. Codeup guarantees all graduates a job offer within six months of graduation. Contact Codeup directly to learn more about their refund program.
    Deposit$1000 (part of total tuition cost)
    Codeup offers a wide variety of financing:
    • VA benefits
    • Financing through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    • Grants through Project Quest, Workforce Solutions Alamo, DARS, and TechWorks
    Scholarship$10,000 in scholarships to Women in Tech. $10,000 in scholarships to Minorities in Tech. $1,000 scholarships to LGBTQIA+, Veterans, Relocators, and First Responders.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkOnline pre-work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
    November 16, 2020 - San Antonio
  • Full-Stack Web Development - Java

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End
    LocationDallas
    Deposit$1000 (part of total tuition cost)
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge
    Prep WorkOnline pre-work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
  • Lexi Morgan  User Photo
    Lexi Morgan • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I researched coding bootcamps off and on for about 3 years before I finally decided to apply to Codeup. After applying, I attended one of the Learn To Code Workshops to get an idea of what Codeup was about. Ryan Orsinger taught the workshop, and his passion and knowledge of everything code is what convinced me that this was absolutely the right choice. It was very important to me that if I was going to pay for a bootcamp it had to have high quality instructors, curriculum, and job placement, and Codeup delivered. Codeup's website has a ton of information on the languages they teach, application process, coding workshops, and FAQ's so I won't repeat that here. This is my attempt to share the information I would've found useful when I was applying to Codeup.

Community: On the first day, we received a membership to Geekdom and Tech Bloc, so you immediately feel like you're part of the tech community.

Curriculum: I had no experience coding before Codeup. The curriculum is challenging, but that's exactly what I wanted. The instructors are very supportive, but they won't just give you the answers. They push you to figure it out on your own, make sure you're on the right track, and provide hints when you're stuck. The instructors are great and will do everything they can to make sure you succeed, but you have to put in the work. Programming takes practice, and no one can do that for you. You have to want to learn and want to grow in order to succeed in this class. It is very fast paced, and it is important that you do this bootcamp at a time that you're prepared for that. One of the most important things they teach you is how to learn new languages. My job requires me to learn new languages and frameworks frequently, and I'm never overwhelmed by it because Codeup prepared me for this. Class is a mixture of lecture, assignments, projects (some individual, some in groups), quizzes and tests. I believe my cohort started with 25 students and ended with 20.

Job Placement:  Stephen Salas is excellent at job placement. He helped us write resumes, update LinkedIn, and set up interviews. We all went through 2 practice technical interviews with instructors, and received feedback. I received two offers before graduation, one of which I accepted and am happily working at today. About half of my class was placed before graduation, and the rest within the following weeks. A lot of employers attended our demo day, and there is a lot of opportunity to set up interviews during the networking session afterwards. You will get a job.

Salary: The average salary for entry-level developers in San Antonio is $50,000, but the range of salaries for my class went well above that. Most of my class accepted jobs in San Antonio and Dallas. Before attending Codeup I was a teacher, and I was able to double my salary.

Conclusion: Codeup is worth every penny. I enjoyed every minute of it, and it is by far the best thing I have ever done for my career. I highly recommend going to a learn to code workshop and reading all off the FAQ's on the website.

• chris  User Photo
    chris • Cloud Solution Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TLDR – No brainer for veterans using the GI Bill or Vocational Rehab.

Personal Outcome – Hired with major tech organization.

Cohort Outcome – 23/28 Graduated, 21/23 placed within 8 weeks of graduation.

I told myself that I wouldn’t write a review until I was employed and working. I didn’t want “honeymoon haze” to have an effect of skewing my thoughts on the experience as a whole.

If you are reading this to decide if it’s worth your time or money, that depends on your personal financial situation. For a military veteran using the GI Bill or Vocational Rehab, it is absolutely worth every cent. Mostly because you’ll get paid to attend class and learn a skill worth having. If you’re paying out of pocket or through loans, that can be a much trickier proposition.

Do not be fooled by the ridiculous starting salaries advertised by other boot camps.  Those amounts easily equate to the average of ~$55k San Antonio offers. The primary reason for this is cost of living adjustment. So, if you think you’re going to make $80-$100k fresh out of Codeup with no prior experience or college degree, think again. In fact, due to the enormous talent pool of qualified candidates and limited number of positions, not having a college degree (regardless of field) can really hurt you in the San Antonio market. You have much less in the way of bargaining and have to consider the idea of taking a much lower than desired salary just to get the coveted experience companies crave.

Engagement beyond graduation is more than you could ask for and also worth the investment. Follow-on cohorts may have a different experience, but my review is based off working with Stephen who was in charge of employer relations. On top of the volunteer opportunities, job fairs, workshops, and meetups, additional interviews were also coordinated by Stephen. He did everything in his power to find opportunities with employers. In total, I had 8 phone interviews and 5 in-person interviews. Out of the 5, I received offers from 2. I might’ve been able to secure an additional 2 offers, but my interviewing/negotiating skills were rusty and poorly researched (see above about salary expectations).

The instructors at Codeup are the main reason to choose a structured approach versus self-taught. Having access to someone intimately familiar with the curriculum whenever you need pays dividends when trying to grasp tricky concepts. The instructors almost make you believe they are wizards with special membership rings that give them coding powers. But with that being said, it is important to curb your expectations. The instructors are experts on the curriculum they teach and their individual expertise outside of the curriculum. This means that trying to test them with obscure coding challenges that have zero relevance to the real world is utterly pointless. This leads into the curriculum.

The curriculum is relatively up to date given the breakneck speed development moves. You will learn HTML, CSS, JS (ES5 and ES6), Java 8, Spring, MySQL, and a little bit of Bash. You will learn just enough of each of these to be dangerous, but not even close to mastery. You will find yourself asking why you’re using x framework, or y library, but the truth is, just do it. Development is complex enough as is, you don’t need to try to reinvent the wheel just to say that your project uses no libraries. As the projects get more difficult, no one gives a shit if you use jquery or lodash or bootstrap or whatever to make your project. As long as the final product is functional, feature complete, and relatively bug free, use whatever you can to save yourself time!

With all of that being said, manage your expectations. Special wizard rings are not issued upon graduation. You will spend 4 months learning many dialects of many languages. Equate that to learning French, German, Arabic, Spanish, and Japanese in 4 months. Your level of mastery will be reflected in much the same way. You will gravitate towards one more than the other, and become more proficient the more you use it. At the end of the day, Codeup was well worth it for me and several of my cohort mates would agree.

• DeLayne LaBove • Software Developer • Graduate
    I was fortunate enough to be a part of the first cohort in Dallas and I can't say enough great things about my experience! From the day I walked in and met Christian to the time I got my offer letter he worked incredibly hard to make sure we had what we needed to succeed. Our instructors, Fernando and Douglas were so patient, incredibly knowledgeable, and offered just enough support to guide us through  hurdles but gave us the necessary room we needed to grow and be accountable for our own learning! I cannot leave out another gem, Dimitri, who was armed and ready to step in to remind you why you started the minute any self doubt created possible roadblocks along the road to success! Kenneth came along in the latter part of our bootcamp experience, and this guy is a total rockstar! Codeup was faced with moving us to a remote setting 3 weeks into class due to COVID. They were so compassionate with making sure we had adequate breaks to practice self care while learning at home. I don't know how they did it, but they did everything in their power to make sure it all went as planned and unhitched! The process is what you make of it and if you truly want it and are willing to put the work in to succeed, there is no doubt that Codeup is THE place to go if you are considering software development as a career!
  • B • Software Developer • Graduate

I attended this bootcamp instead of returnig to university to finish a second degree in computer science and really regretted the desciion. I paid 18k and honestly recieved the worst education. Like somone else said they are nice people but they did a horeendous job. I would say everyone left the bootcamp scammed and ridicuously unprepared for the field. I worked hard and decided to teach myself everything from the ground up using free sources throughout the internet and man did I learn more doing that than my entire 4 months at codeup. They are just trying to make money off people trying to make a career change. Also I can see somone else in the reviews shared the same experience. Most of the time the instructors just told you to figure it out on your own and refesued to actually teach. Also I can't beleive they now charge students $27,500.00 for their program.

My advice: JUST GOT TO BACK TO UNIVERSITY OR TEACH YOURSELF via YOUTUBE AND OTHER FREE SOURCES

Final note: I think Codeup should be investigated because they are definiely lying about the numbers they report.  They also fight anyone that tries to express their doscontent with the program and buries their attemps to do so.

• Life Altering
    - 12/15/2019
    Stephanie • Associate Data Engineer • Graduate

Reviewer Context:

Demographics: I am a female between 18-30 years old. I was hired about a month before Codeup even ended as an associate data engineer. It's been a year since then, and I am still with the same company.

Experience before Codeup: I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology. I did a year of Comp Sci classes at university before I dropped out to go to Codeup. Before Codeup I was an Assistant Manager at a major clothing brand.

Cost: I only had to pay the deposit of ~$1000-$1500. The rest was covered by a city grant and a 'women in tech' scholarship.

Life-changing. I can confidently say that Codeup did more for me than years of the university did. I was reluctant at first until I looked up their job placement statistics. 87%! Numbers don't lie. It is a risk for sure, but the incredible payoff is worth it. I would not be at my current job if not for Codeup.

You're taught by several different instructors throughout the course. It's nice because if you don't vibe with one instructor, it won't be forever.

It's not for you if you expect the instructors to give you all the answers. You wouldn't expect your manager to give you all the answers!

The curriculum is something that anyone can learn on their own. The difference is that Codeup provides structure and context. The level of difficulty depends on your prior experience. It is quite intense, with a fast learning pace. With dedication, anyone can do it. There are student-led study sessions and instructor-provided tutoring. Codeup is very good at teaching you the most important aspects of a language or technology and leaving the rest up to you. They give you a great learning foundation and you learn HOW to learn. As a developer, you never stop learning, so this is a great skill to have!

The job assistance is extensive and extremely helpful. This is the best part of Codeup in my opinion. There is job placement staff that assist you throughout the process. Your resume is viewed and critiqued several times. You will have mock interviews. You will design your own personal website. Your LinkedIn will be critiqued.

• Natalie • Assistant Development Manager • Student

I had a great experience with Codeup and shortly after graduating, I had a job offer.  I think the staff really cares about making their students happy and are always trying find new ways to make the program better.

I would say that the program is what you make of it.  If you go in with a serious mindset and code on the weekends and the evenings, you'll get a lot out of it.  I can't say the same for some of the my fellow classmates - a few of them just did enough to get by.

Also, I must also mention that I already have a degree and a background in technology so I looked at Codeup as a way to add to my skillset.  It's a great program but won't replace a degree.  Overall, I had a really great experience and learned a lot.  I'd recommend it to anyone looking to make some changes in their career.

Unfortunately I don't recommend program to anyone. I had high hopes going in but finished disappointed. Curriculum and class time very disorganized. Most of the time they asked you to figure it out on your own. They don't know how to teach and the assignments don't build on each other. You leave class with a weak foundation and a bare bones portfolio. I've learned more from videos on the internet than at Codeup. Also they pay students for reviews. So watch out. They are closer to a technology frat than an educational institution, since they are better at networking and parties than teaching. All the instructors and staff are wonderful people so no hard feelings. I just think skeptical people should know the truth.  It was the only bootcamp in town up until this year so take a look at the other options.

• Totally worth it!
    - 2/17/2016
    Sakib Shaikh • Web Developer • Student

Codeup is definitely worth the time and money. The staff really cares about its students, and are always looking to help.

It is a great place to network because Codeup and Geekdom are the centers of gravitation for the San Antonio tech scene.

If you want to learn about Coding, and Tech, Codeup is where to begin.

Covered HTML, CSS in the first few classes and spent a majority of time learning Javascript. APIs, PhP and builders like WordPress were touched on. Overall the instructors were very helpful along with the staff. The class was fairly small making it easier to get your questions answered and have a bit of one on one time. They did their best to make the dullest of topics fun and interesting. It was well worth the cost for anyone trying to break into coding services.

• Don't Hesitate
    - 8/23/2015

If you are contemplating going to Codeup, don't hesitate.  Great course material and knowledgable instructors make for great outcomes.  Be prepared to work hard and come out prepared for a career change!

• Margaret • Student

I went there after being unhappy and unfulfilled in my current situation. I went there during their Oct 2014 course. It was a great decision. A strong curriculum is provided, ample of time to study and stay after class to concentrate on your work or just do additional studying. It can seem a bit like being in college studying hard with a side of socializing. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a career change or just want to seriously learn the skills for web development

• Ryan Dinesman • SAP Software Engineer

I spent a few years as a computer science major, and I have to say that I learned more practical skills in Codeup than I did in school.

The instuctors are very thorough and helpful, and legitimately love their job. And best of all, within days of completion, I was getting interviews.

If you are planning on doing Codeup, and have some coding experience, you might find some of the earlier sections slow. However, the instructors will be more than happy to point you to extra exercises.

10/10, would definitely do again.

Codeup Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 56 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read CodeUp's full CIRR Jobs Report here.