By Imogen Crispe
Last Updated December 5, 2017
October 2017 was a busy month for the coding bootcamp industry with news about growing pains in bootcamp outcomes, mergers, acquisitions, investments, a trend towards bootcamp B2B training, and diversity initiatives. To help you out, we’ve collected all the most important news in this blog post and podcast. Plus, we added 12 new schools from around the world to the Course Report school directory! Read below or listen to our latest Coding Bootcamp News Roundup Podcast.
- Course Report published our Top 49 Coding Bootcamps for 2017.
- The Attorney General of New York announced a $375,000 settlement with Flatiron School. According to the Attorney General’s investigation, Flatiron operated without a license and didn’t “clearly and conspicuously” advertise job placement information. This was also covered by MarketWatch, ELearningInside, and NY Daily News
- WeWork has acquired Flatiron School. The Next Web looked at how Flatiron School can now upskill WeWork members and use the close connection to startup companies as a way to place students in jobs. Publications like Inc, Fast Company, CNN, TechCrunch and more covered this story.
- The New York Times reports that African coding training program Andela has raised $40 million in series C funding.
Galvanize has raised $7 million of a $12 million target from investors including ABS Capital Partners and University Ventures. This comes after Galvanize announced in August that it was laying off 11 percent of its workforce.
- And according to TechCrunch, Holberton School has now added a few big names to their board: Docker founder Solomon Hykes, Upwork CEO Stephane Kasriel and CloudNOW CEO Jocelyn DeGance Graham. In addition, LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner is now an advisor and investor.
- Strayer Education and Capella Education have announced they are going to merge in a $1.9 billion deal, to create one of the country’s largest for-profit education companies: Strategic Education Inc. Strayer owns New York Code and Design Academy, and Capella owns Hackbright Academy and DevMountain coding bootcamps, which combined now owns bootcamps in New York, San Francisco, DC, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Dallas.
The Current Status of the Bootcamp Industry
Life After Bootcamp – Stories About Getting a Job and Companies Who Hire Bootcampers
Get Inspired by These Student Success Stories
Growing the Bootcamp Model in Smaller Cities
- OZY looks at the need for tech training in smaller cities, mentioning Columbus Ohio, Portland Oregon, and Wilmington Delaware as new tech hubs, all of which have coding bootcamps.
Delaware Online profiled Zip Code Wilmington, talking to student, Senator Chris Coons, and governor John Carney.
- Engadget looks at how Grand Rapids is retraining Michiganders who used to work in manufacturing to become coders, and how Facebook offered full scholarships for 25 students.
- Model D looks at the different ways the Detroit community is preparing the region for tech, including Sisters Code, which runs coding classes for women of all ages, and Grand Circus coding bootcamp.
- Inside Indiana Business looked at the future of tech in Indiana, and how there are more than 1000 open jobs in tech for coders. Mentions Kenzie Academy as a potential solution to the problem, and interviews head of curriculum Michael Cammarano. Business Insider also talked to the Kenzie Academy co-founder.
- A number of publications covered the shortage of tech workers in Israel according to Israel Innovation Authority’s latest report, how some firms may be forced to relocate abroad, and how coding bootcamps could help solve the problem.
Coding Bootcamps and the Diversity in Tech Debate
Ways to Pay for a Coding Bootcamp (Scholarships!)
Tips, Tricks, and Bootcamp Advice
NodeJS foundation will release a Node.JS developer certification, a test which coding bootcampers could potentially take to validate their knowledge for employers.
New Bootcamp Programs + Campuses
New Schools Added to Course Report this Month
School of Code, Birmingham, England
Asia Developer Academy, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Kenzie Academy, Indianapolis, Indiana
Code Nation, Manchester, England
Nucamp, Tacoma, Washington and online
Blue Ocean Coding, Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio
Alchemy Code Lab, Portland, Oregon
UC Davis Extension Coding Boot Camp, Sacramento, California
Turn into Coders, Turin, Italy
University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Coding Boot Camp, Toronto, Canada
Reaktor Labs, Budapest, Hungary
Penn Arts and Sciences Coding Boot Camp, Philadelphia, PA
Favorite Pieces on the Blog
If you enjoyed this podcast, help other future bootcampers find it by subscribing to the Course Report podcast on iTunes, and leaving a review.