kenzie-academy-logo

Kenzie Academy

Kenzie Academy

Kenzie Academy is a user experience design and coding school in Indianapolis, Indiana and online. Kenzie offers 6-month to 2-year programs with a 1-year paid apprenticeship. Kenzie Academy aims to build future tech leaders and skilled coders who have a strong grasp of core computer science concepts, as well as critical workplace skills. Students will learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript and graduate as junior full-stack web developers. Students have the option of attending the program in person, or remotely via their Hybrid Program.

Kenzie Academy uses flipped classroom and project-based learning to train a new generation of designers and software developers. The education model includes , critical skills training, and apprenticeships to develop new talent. Kenzie teachers, leadership, mentors, and volunteers are all advocates for students and assist with job placement upon completion of the course, either at the Kenzie Studio consulting arm or at other technology companies.

Kenzie Academy’s program is open to anyone interested in tech with no programming experience required. Prospective students should be familiar with web browsers and search engines and comfortable with symbolic reasoning.

Kenzie Academy was founded to tackle a major opportunities gap in America where fast-growing technology companies concentrated in expensive coastal cities are struggling to hire tech talent. Kenzie believes that there are people across the country, who, given the necessary skills, experience, and access, can help those fill talent gaps. Their mission is to train the best technologists and provide a pathway towards a rewarding career in tech.

Recent Kenzie Academy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (19) reviews for Kenzie Academy →

Recent Kenzie Academy News

Read all (9) articles about Kenzie Academy →
  • DIGITAL MARKETING (12 Months)

Indianapolis
    Digital marketing is a crucial component of all modern businesses. Our program focuses on developing a deep understanding of marketing strategy and an analytical mindset—critical for career advancement to more senior roles—while introducing students to digital marketing tactics like paid advertising, SEO, and content marketing. Graduates of this program will have a comprehensive understanding of digital marketing, the skills needed to work across a variety of digital marketing roles, and the knowledge to understand which role in this rapidly evolving field is the right fit for them. By the end of the program, students will have worked on a variety of projects that can be shared with future potential employers. Students also learn to communicate effectively in an interview and professional setting.
    In an Income Share Agreement (ISA), you agree to pay a fixed percentage of your future earned income for a fixed period of time to Kenzie Academy. In exchange, you don’t have to pay the full cost of Kenzie tuition upfront.
    Interview
  • FRONT-END WEB DEVELOPER TRACK (6 MONTHS)

HTML, JavaScript, CSS
    In PersonFull Time
    Indianapolis
    Front-End web developers produce HTML, CSS and JavaScript for a website or Web Application so that a user can see and interact with them directly. Students gain hands-on experience deploying interactive web sites for desktop and mobile web browsers using the latest web technologies and frameworks. Students also learn all coding and web development best practices, including team collaboration skills.
    We offer need-blind admissions for all our student. Low-cost financing options are available. Students pay back the loan when they begin work after the program. Speak to our admissions staff for more information about the Kenzie Education Opportunities Loan.
    No experience necessary
    Interview
  • FULL-STACK WEB DEVELOPER TRACK (6 MONTHS)

Indianapolis
    Full stack web developers are people who are familiar with developing all layers of a website or web application, including the front-end and back-end logic and databases, and how the front-end and web-end communicates together. This program is opened to Kenzie students who completed the Front-End Web Developer Track, or qualified students with prior programming training or experience. Students with prior front-end development training will hone their skills in back-end software development, while back-end programmers will hone their front-end development skills. Students learn to develop production ready end-to-end web applications. Students will learn to scale back-end applications, consider performance of the application, and understand security best practices to reduce an application’s vulnerability to hacking. Students will perform 10-20 hours of paid internship work with Kenzie Studio, our consulting arm to cover the partial cost of tuition.
    Open to Kenzie students who completed the Front-End Web Developer Track, or qualified students with prior programming training or experience
    Interview
  • SOFTWARE ENGINEER TRACK ( 24 MONTHS)

Indianapolis
    The Software Engineer track is designed to train our students to become skilled coders, while also equipping them with core computer science concepts, critical for advancement towards senior roles over time. The foundation of our curriculum includes learning the necessary coding skills as well as a sufficient understanding of how computers and systems work in order to architect, build, and maintain complex applications. Kenzie students who completed the Full-Stack Web Developer Track are eligible to apply for the Software Engineer Track. Students learn core computer science concepts and enterprise programming languages such as Java or equivalent.
    Interview
  • USER EXPERIENCE (24 MONTHS)

Indianapolis
    The emphasis is on developing proficiency in user experience design and front-end development, while providing a basic introduction to research, visual design, copywriting, project management, and software engineering. Graduates of this program will have the skills needed to be an entry-level User Experience (UX) Designer. A UX Designer's role is directly involved in the process of making a product useful, usable and enjoyable for its users. Through the program, students create a portfolio of individual and team projects that can be shown to future, potential employers. Students also learn to communicate effectively in an interview and professional setting.

• Do not recommend
    - 8/14/2019
    Kinga  User Photo
    Kinga • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn

I applied to the marketing program and right away scheduled my interview. The day of I needed to reschedule and made an appointment for the next day. I received a confirmation that J****** was looking forward to speaking to me. The day of a few hours before the scheduled time, my interview was canceled without any real explanation. SO I scheduled my discovery call with A****. The next day AGAIN my interview was canceled, this time I was told that the school is not doing any marketing interviews for now and they will reach out to me when they are ready. Pretty shady and disappointing to say the least!

Something else that is concerning that both J****** and A****, communicated from A****'s email address. In the intro email that I received, it said that the next cohort started in April, yet A**** the October one was still open.

Judging from everyone's great reviews, I am thinking that maybe this has happened to me, because of my age. The school's application does ask for age. Maybe I just have bad luck or this place is not for me. Either way, when and IF the school reaches out to me, I will not be scheduling my interview based on this poor experience so far.

• Zachary Kline  User Photo
    Zachary Kline • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie Academy is an amazing school, giving the feeling of more of a start up tech company than a classroom, students are free to collaborate on project which incrimentally get more challenging and build up your skills bit by bit. The concepts of coding are drilled into your brain by doing hands on coding instead of just following along with an instructor. Going into the course from knowing nothing about coding it is amazing to think where I am now to where I was just a few months ago. I was hesistant as first about the fact that the course is essentially a year long, but if you consider that in many cases you'll be doubling or maybe tripling your salary after you finish the time investment is more than worth it.

• The Perfect Fit
    - 12/24/2018
    Blake  User Photo
    Blake • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Kenzie is the perfect mix of culture and skills training. You'll learn through a well crafted curriculum with industry veteran instructors. You'll learn something new daily and get a chance to demonstrate your new knowledge through collaborative projects. Through Kenzie Academy, you'll gain the exact skills you need to enter the tech industry.
  • Tyler M Ward  User Photo
    Tyler M Ward Verified via GitHub

Kenzie is a fantastic learning environment that all educational fascilities should take note of, and learn from.  I have only been in the program for a little over two months and still feel as though I have learned more than I ever did in college.  The reason for this is their project based philosphy that seeks to teach you how to teach yourself by doing, more than anything else.  No long, drawn out, lectures about arbitrary concepts that couldn't possibly help you anywhere in life.  Kenzie gets you in the habit of working, quite simply because they seem to be attempting to mimic a working environment to a T.  What better way to prepare students to work, than to get them working right now?

• Jennifer Browning  User Photo
    Jennifer Browning • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie Academy has been a wonderfule place to begin my career in Software Engineering. I've been learning vanilla Javascript and React. Next I move on to learn Python. The instructors are patient, kind, and well organized. The program also teaches us how to think logically, helps us focus on long term memory skills and professional skills for the workplace. There are speakers and mentors on campus to pay it forward and answer our questions about the tech industry weekly and Kenzie hosts a monthly innovation series where leading tech advisors from all over come to talk with us.

• Michael McKenzie  User Photo
    Michael McKenzie • Student Cohort • Student Verified via GitHub

I started mid-July, 2018 and am going for the software engineer, 2yr program. It has been such a great experience so far at Kenzie Academy (KA). The school definitely cultivates a positive learning environment that teaches so many valuable skills; including technical programming, soft skills, and prepping for job interviews. The program is split into sections and different instructors head each one so I've been able to get multiple perspectives which has greatly helped me with understanding from different point of views. I've only been here for only 4 months but I have learned so much already. And better yet, KA has partnered with the local Indy community. They host speaker events bringing in local and national tech leaders that we actually get to talk one on one with (last event they brought in Terry Jones a.k.a founder of Travelocity). They provide part time jobs for when we are in school, hold to a strong standard of leaving no one behind, and lastly I've made some great friends that I would have never met. Don't get me wrong, I am challenged everyday here literally pushing my understanding but making sure that I do grasp it as well. The two most important things they teach are learning how to learn (from others but mostly on your own) and critical thinking.

• Scott Hager  User Photo
    Scott Hager • Tier 1 Support, Apple • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I started at Kenzie Academy having already received a Master's Degree from an accredited college, however, I felt as if all of those hours and the time and money I spent on my education was worthless once I actually graduated and was searching for jobs in the career field of my dreams. That's when I stumbled upon Kenzie Academy, they were a local accelerated education school within 20 miles of my home, so I did plenty of research before actually deciding to join up.  ​ It has been the best decision of my life so far, not only do they have plenty to teach, but they have real instructors who themselves have been working in the industry. These instructors take time out of their busy schedules to help educate up-and-coming developers or designers fuel their passions into something meaningful and worthwhile. If ever a problem arises, the environment in which the school is built upon leaves plenty of creative fuel to help students understand why issues arise and how they are quickly solved. The environment that the school is built upon makes you feel like you are at home, there are lounges and plenty of spaces to study and interact with fellow students and instructors, I never get homesick when I am attending school, I make myself at home.

The school also schedules monthly talks with CEO's and business partners who come to the school and talk about their lives and their companies and I feel that is a really fantastic way to connect with people who you might potentially work with someday. This school has rekindled my passion for what I want to do in my life and it's all thanks to this school.

• Jake Berg  User Photo
    Jake Berg • Student Verified via LinkedIn

If you are at all interested in getting into the tech industry and either don't know where to start, or feel like you need a jump start to your career, this is a fantastic course. I spent quite a bit of time trying to learn Javascript on my own and realized how much faster it would be if I had likeminded people around to help propel me forward. The culture is fantastic and everyone there wants to see you succeed.

- 4/4/2018
    Kavitha  User Photo
    Kavitha • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie offers a hands-on learning environment where you learn by doing rather than sitting in front of a lecturer and trying to retain that information. You learn how to learn fast.I love this project based learning aspect at Kenzie. The environment is great. Instructors are super supportive and go above and beyond.  You not only learn to code but you will also learn the soft skills needed . Overall my experience at Kenzie so far is amazing. The curriculum is current. Anybody who wants to become a software developer should consider Kenzie.

- 4/4/2018
    Ryan Agard  User Photo
    Ryan Agard • Student Verified via GitHub

My experience at Kenzie so far has been extremely valuable in my growth as a developer. It is a flexible and fun learning environment, and is designed to create professional coders regardless of their initial starting knowledge. Kenzie provides a vast number of resources for support, and does a great job of teaching students how to think like developers. I am learning more than I ever have in my past attempts at self-teaching, and also having a great time.

• Morgan Shepard  User Photo
    Morgan Shepard • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie Academy is absolutely fantastic. The program is both flexible and challenging. The resources provided are well beyond invaluable. The instruction is in depth and attentive to individual needs. The emphasis on preparation for real world employment situations, be it on the job or the interview process is phenomenal. The curriculum is more current than one will find at a 4 year college, due to lack of red tape to inhibit the updating of the curriculum. It's fluid and adaptive and, as a result, quite engaging. The apprenticeship section of the program is designed to not only give you real work experience, but to put you in the position to work for perspective employers while still having access to school resources with which to learn. All in all, this is the best educational experience I've ever had.

- 4/3/2018
    Nick Howell  User Photo
    Nick Howell • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'd always been interested in coding and stumbled upon Kenzie.  The experience so far has been amazing!  Everyone is welcoming and the atmosphere of collaboration really makes me feel at home.  I hate studying on my own and the project based learning gets you hands on with the material and really works well for my learning style.

The instructors are really good about giving you additional projects if you find yourself being drawn towards particular topics so that you never get bored.  We've had a ton of interesting speakers (Google, 500 Startups, cryptocurrency experts, etc...) and opportunities to speak with local entrepeneurs who are using tech to solve problems in unique and interesting ways. The mentorship program provides you with a built in base of industry personnel from a variety of companies who are ready and willing to interact with us on a personal level and provide information that we're interested in.

• Shaquon Kelley • Student

I'm a SE student here at Kenzie Academy. I've been here for 8 months now and my experience here has been amazing. It's literally a dream come true that an opportunity like this would open up right here in the heart of Indy. Indy is my hometown but when I found out about Kenzie I was in Bloomington, IN trying to get back into school. To do that it would have taken me 2 years to transfer into the school I wanted to. After a year of trying that option out I started to look for other options. I knew from my college experience before and from my own research that coding and software development was a growing field so I looked up coding bootcamps in Indiana. Little did I know 4 months before that Kenzie Academy was starting up. Let's get this clear Kenzie is NOT a bootcamp and it's unlike any other school I've been to (I attended 2 other schools in Indiana before attending here). This school ended up being the answer to what I needed in life at that time. I needed a community of intelligent hardworking people, I needed a jump start to my career, I needed something close to home and lastly I needed another chance in life. This school gave me all of that and so much more. So far I have gained a Front-end SE certificate from this school and I'm on my way to getting the full stack cert next. The school is growing I highly recommend you join the new force in tech right here at home in the midwest! And for anyone not in able to attend on campus they have a bolstering online pathway as well. I just want to say thank you to Kenzie Academy for helping me achieve my dreams. It really means a lot to me.

• Patrick Hanson • Student • Student

Starting Kenzie Academy has been one of the better career/life decisions I have made. I needed something to jumpstart my career and Kenzie has definitely given me the tools to do that. I feel confident that with the education and assistance provided by Kenzie Academy, I should be able to find a job using my new skills.

• Austin Levine • Student

I enrolled in Kenzie Academy's Full Stack Web Development course 4 months ago. Since then, I have learned a robust amount of in-depth knowledge that more than keeps me occupied! I have been self-taught for many years, but nothing beats the amazing instructors at Kenzie Academy. For awhile, I was far ahead and needed some extra work. One quick question to the instructors led me to be sufficiently challenged and my thirst for learning reinvigorated!

• Samuel Mosey • Student

Coming in with no experience in any type of web design, or development, it goes without saying that it seems intimidating up front. However, a very informative and in-depth curriculum, dedicated on-site instructors, and amazing learning environment make for an enjoyable, not to mention practical, learning experience.

The program cultivates creativity, community, and a judgement-free zone, no matter your level of experience with web development, designed to make sure that you personally thrive and are ready for the work force.

10/10 would recommend.

• Taylor • Student

Kenzie Academy is a great place to be and great place to learn, prior to attending Kenzie I was a Paramedic with 6 years in the public safety industry.  Traditional college was not an option for me.  Kenzie Academy's education track puts you in the right direction for a blossoming career in the tech industry.  The curriculum is tough but the instructors and staff are available around the clock and extremely informative. The staff at Kenzie has many years in the industry with lots of connections for guest speakers and potential job opportunities in the future.  Do not pass this opportunity up!

• Meaghan • Student
    Kenzie Academy is a great place for learning in a non-traditional environment. The staff and other students are readily available to assist with any issues. The school is structured to ensure the success of every student.  If you are looking for an opportunity in the Tech field, I highly recommend Kenzie Academy.  There are many opportunities to communicate with industry leaders and a vast network of contacts within the industry to expand learning beyond the in-house staff.  The school is also flexible, allowing students to work remotely.
  • Review For Kenzie
    - 2/28/2018
    Adrian • Student

I love this School so much, I was welcomed with opened arms and have been given personalized help and coaching the resources and networking oppertunitys here are top notch. It is a very good working enviroment and a very big stepping stone into the WorkForce for up and coming programmers and new to the business world. I grade it a 10 outa 10