kenzie-academy-logo

Kenzie Academy

Indianapolis, Online

Kenzie Academy

Kenzie Academy is a college alternative that offers a 1-year, full-time, project-based course in Software Engineering and UX Engineering online or in Indianapolis, Indiana. Students in the Software Engineering program will learn will learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, and Python/Django and graduate as junior full-stack web developers. The UX program covers website design and research and front end coding. The curriculum was created by industry practitioners and designed to parallel today’s workplace. With the aim of mimicking a real career in technology, Kenzie students begin every day with a standup, work in virtual teams, and receive one-on-one mentorship. Beyond technical skills, Kenzie also teaches students the practical knowledge needed to thrive in today’s modern workforce. Designed around the modern student, Kenzie Academy is a college alternative that teaches learners of all ages – with little or no experience – the digital skills that lead directly to a new career in technology.

Kenzie Academy’s program is open to anyone interested in tech with no programming experience required. Prospective students should be familiar with web browsers and search engines and comfortable with symbolic reasoning. Kenzie is looking for people with the right attitude and aptitude for success.

With employer partners throughout the country, Kenzie directly connects graduates to in-demand jobs. Kenzie aims for graduates to leave with the knowledge and confidence to succeed, changing their opportunities, and the full trajectory of their careers.

Recent Kenzie Academy Reviews: Rating 4.96

all (48) reviews for Kenzie Academy →

Recent Kenzie Academy News

Read all (14) articles about Kenzie Academy →
  • SOFTWARE ENGINEERING IN PERSON ( 12 MONTHS)

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, DevOps, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, Front End, Scrum, Agile, Python
    LocationIndianapolis
    The Software Engineer track is designed to train our students to become skilled coders, while also equipping them with core computer science concepts, critical for advancement towards senior roles over time. The foundation of our curriculum includes learning the necessary coding skills as well as a sufficient understanding of how computers and systems work in order to architect, build, and maintain complex applications. Kenzie students who completed the Full-Stack Web Developer Track are eligible to apply for the Software Engineer Track. Students learn core computer science concepts and enterprise programming languages such as Java or equivalent.
    We offer Full ISA and Half ISA financing options, along with pay-in-full and payment plans
    Tuition PlansMonthly payment plan of $2,150/month Full ISA: 13% of income for 48 months
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents passing our cultural and technical assessment
    Prep Workhttps://online.kenzie.academy/
    October 27, 2020 - Indianapolis Apply by October 19, 2020
  • SOFTWARE ENGINEERING ONLINE (12 MONTHS)

LocationIndianapolis
    Full ISA and Half ISA available, along with Pay-In-Full or monthly payment plans
    Tuition Plansmonthly payment plan available, $2,150/month Or Income Share Agreement
    Minimum Skill Levelwe accept students with little to no coding experience
    Prep Workonline.kenzie.academy
    October 27, 2020 - Indianapolis Apply by October 19, 2020
  • UX DESIGN CAREER PROGRAM IN PERSON (6 MONTHS)

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    LocationIndianapolis
    Built for working professionals to get the skills they need to further their careers while keeping their day job. The emphasis is on developing proficiency in user experience design, while providing a basic introduction to research, visual design, copywriting, project management, and presentation. Graduates of this program will have the skills needed to be an entry-level User Experience (UX) Designer. A UX Designer's role is directly involved in the process of making a product useful, usable and enjoyable for its users. Through the program, students create a portfolio of individual and team projects that can be shown to future, potential employers. Students also learn to communicate effectively in an interview and professional setting.
    1-year or 2-year payment plan
    Tuition PlansPay-in-full, 1-year monthly payment plan at $867/month, or 2-year monthly payment plan at $433/month with $500 down
    Minimum Skill Level1-year of professional experience or a college degree
    October 27, 2020 - Indianapolis Apply by October 19, 2020
  • UX DESIGN CAREER PROGRAM ONLINE (6 MONTHS)

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    We offer ISA, Pay-in-full, or payment plans at $2,150/month
    Tuition PlansPay-in-full, 1-year monthly payment plan available at $867/month, or 2-year monthly payment plan available at $433/month with $500 down
    Minimum Skill Level1-year professional experience or college degree
    October 27, 2020 - Online Apply by October 19, 2020
  • Jackson Detke  User Photo
    Jackson Detke • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    To start, I might as well mention that I already had a little bit of prior coding experience coming into Kenzie Academy, as I took a class in Computer Programming at my high school (Carmel High) and a few classes at my previous college (IUPUI).  That said, all of those experiences took several school years to complete, and I ended up getting an English major at IUPUI which didn't exactly get me anywhere I wanted to be in the job market.

So, last year, roughly half a year after graduating from IUPUI, I was running out of money and my parents were getting ready to kick me out, when someone recommended Kenzie Academy.  Put simply, I made a MASSIVE leap of faith going there, as I wasn't entirely sure, despite my prior experience, I'd be a good programmer.  Not to mention that the coursework was full-time and I needed to be making money working instead of spending more money on school tuition.

Well, Kenzie hasn't disappointed so far-- I'm currently less than two months away from getting my first of two degrees (Front-End Software Development).  So far I think I've learned and retained more programming knowledge in these short four months than in the rest of my life, as crazy as that seems.  The school really is that great at teaching coding to students, and I'm still learning more and more every day.  At this rate, I'm hopeful that I'll get a great job in the near future!  Not to mention the countless opportunities they give you to network and support your own learning process.  The teachers are good at working with you to support your own learning pace.

As for my income issues I mentioned, I opted to utilize Kenzie's super-useful Income Share Agreement (ISA) program, which has helped immensely.  I'm glad to say I'm not broke or in debt right now.

On top of that, the school has a really talented staff who are passionate about what they do.  Chok Ooi, the CEO of Kenzie, is an awesome guy who constantly keeps all of his students in the know about what's going on at Kenzie via video chats even when he's somewhere out of state (or in some cases, country).  The community at Kenzie has been really welcoming and I have found myself fitting in pretty quickly despite having some issues with fitting in sometimes since I have high-functioning autism; I have already made plenty of friends and think the more intimate community and workspace at Kenzie's campus as opposed to a massive public campus full of tens of thousands of students that you'll likely never get to know the majority of just works better for me in general.

Some things worth knowing if you're an on-campus student-- you'll want to either live near campus or find an apartment.  Kenzie doesn't have campus housing since its campus is basically just one building.  Kenzie has a kitchen where you can bring your own food and eat it at during lunch hours, but like I said, you'll want to bring your own food or eat out (Indianapolis has some great restaurants though, so the latter won't be a problem).  Finding good parking options is important too if you don't live close enough to bike or walk to class.  With all that said, the building's pretty cozy and is similar to that of a tech startup company location, so don't worry about it being crowded.

And the 12-month program is not like a typical school in that there is no summer break and a slightly shorter Christmas break.  Despite there being a few other holiday breaks here and there, it's more like a job than a school in terms of scheduling, so be prepared to work hard.  And most of all, be consistent.  Not showing up to class is the main thing that causes Kenzie students to fail to get their degree, and the majority of the Kenzie students so far have graduated.  Then the majority of Kenzie graduates have gone on to get great-paying jobs in the industry (and I've seen that myself due to my connections with some of them on LinkedIn).

Also, there's also the option of being an online student, and, provided you have a computer with Internet, you'll still be able to participate in lectures and projects with the rest of the on-campus students as well as be able to get help from the instructors, facilitators, and coaches.  The resources they have are immense and will be everything you need regardless of whether you're an online or on-campus student.

All in all, I have really enjoyed going to Kenzie so far and don't plan to stop until I get my degree.  If this review hasn't convinced you to try enrolling at Kenzie, check out their website, or go to one of their Open Houses.  Their website even has some free online courses that help you get started with coding; it's kind of like a taste-test for a little of what you'll be doing in the first few months at Kenzie.  You won't be disappointed.
  • Kevin  User Photo
    Kevin Verified via GitHub
    I am very pleased with the Kenzie Academy experience. I've reach new levels in my coding knowledge and how to approach software development as a whole. The academy does not just teach you how to code, they provide a foundation for you to continue learning, network with supportive staff and peers, and they also provide a family-driven atmosphere while learning. I'm glad I chose Kenzie Academy to launch my career.
    #KenzieMade
  • Nigel Green  User Photo
    Nigel Green • UX Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Kenzie literally saved my life. I was in college and the unnamed school wasn’t offering what I needed to learn to be successful in today’s industry. I found out about Kenzie through Nextech and I’m so glad I made the decision to drop out of college and come to Kenzie Academy. Not only is the curriculum compact and filled with knowledge that can lead to only the most top level jobs in the country, but the culture at Kenzie is like no other. My kidneys failed completely and I was in a coma on 03/01/2019 and I remember Chok Ooi, David Michael Gregg, Matt Cummings, and Gabe Wright all coming to visit me. My cohort also came to see me and support me as well. #UX1 #UXWON I will never forget how much love Kenzie has shown me and my fellow classmates. Always remember to pay it forward
  • Amanda  User Photo
    Amanda • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    The Kenzie SE program is fantastic.  You don't learn how to code at Kenzie, you learn how to learn how to code.  You learn the tools necessary to research any coding language and implement it.  After graduation you will not be bound to the languages you worked with at Kenzie.  The instructors and facilitators provide excellent support and instruction.
  • Nisha Haider  User Photo
    Nisha Haider • UX/UI Student • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Best Decision I Ever Made!!  I enrolled in October 2019, and LOVE the program.  Kenzie provides so much support and mentorships that it feels very empowering.  They really strive to help us all succeed.  Like Dean, our facilitator, provided me with a 2nd monitor when I just mentioned how helpful it would be for me.  He is the best!  Matt, our director, stepped up when I needed help on-boarding me with Earn & Learn.

The ISA & Earn & Learn programs have enabled me to attend without feeling stressed over finances.  Such an Amazing school, Students & Staff !!

• Lori Henderson  User Photo
    Lori Henderson • Student Verified via GitHub

I recently graduated college and found out I loved computer coding from a couple classes I took and then took a weekend bootcamp during one summer and found out I loved it.  I can't honestly say that I loved any of my classes to the fullest, but just went to get my degree.  After I graduated, I knew that I wanted to either go to a 4-5 year program to get my degree in computer programming or related degrees at a local university or attend a bootcamp.  Kenzie was on my back radar due to the 12 months, but I quickly realized how that's a great alternative to a traditional university and longer than another bootcamp I was deadset on attending.  The deciding factor on whether I would love or hate Kenzie was at the Open House I attended around July.  I LOVED it.  I love older architecture, especially with the mix of modern.  All the staff and instructors were welcoming and made me feel like family.  Once orientation hit, my heart was racing, but that quickly subsided due to bonding activities and games.  One of my favorite things about Kenzie is that they understand everyone's at a different pace.  I miss Kenzie when I'm not there and my confidence has grown since I've started Kenzie.  Kenzie is a blend of ages, ethnicities, and personalities that makes it so unique.  If you are considering this as a career path, don't hesitate to attend an open house, remotely or in person.  Everyone there wants you to succeed and they will go all out just to make you feel appreciated.

• Tiffany McLean  User Photo
    Tiffany McLean • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Choosing to attend Kenzie Academy has been one of the best decision that I've made in my life. They go above and beyond to ensure you succeed.  You're surrounding by an amazing support system (from coaches to facilitators to the instructors). The instructors are just teachers...they are industry experts...bringing years of experience to each lesson. All staff members embrace the Kenzie culture...you can feel it from your initial interaction.  When they say welcome to the family you feel it... once you start attending you KNOW without a doubt that you have in fact extended your family. Even Chok, the CEO makes himself readily available.  I love my school!!

• Kathy  User Photo
    Kathy • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I just wanted to start off by saying how grateful I am to have found Kenzie Academy during this process of "Getting into Tech" journey. I have discovered another side of me that I've given up on due to life-changing events (liked becoming a full-time mom). After going through several assignments/assessments at Kenzie Academy, it has become extremely rewarding to test my capability and knowledge during the learning process. I was so used to doing self-paced learning that when I had access to a coaching/mentorship at Kenzie, I knew I was in good hands and I was no longer afraid to fail. Whenever I had a question or felt stuck on a problem, I always knew I could find help/assistance. They are very supportive and really believe in you. I mean, for a year, they are investing in you without getting paid in return during that time, that tells you that they are trying to change the way education works now and for the future. Everyday, I seriously get excited waking up to look forward to what I'll get to learn next at Kenzie. They have given me a new purpose in my career pathway and I am forever grateful!

• Travis Anderson  User Photo
    Travis Anderson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I am in my upper 20's, changed my career, previous college degree (unrelated), minor (very minor) experience in coding coming in to Kenzie.

I was looking for an out of my previous career and found this.  I liked that this education model includes the ISA, it shows that the school won't succeed unless the students do.  After I graduated I ended up finding a poisition on my own efforts through networking and applying on my own. I was provided opportunities through the school's resources but either someone else was selected or the the position was less than ideal, (why I gave 4 out of 5 in job assistance).

There are multiple opportunities to teach and coach others, or be coached, so gives  a full breadth of experience.  I will say the majority of the curriculum is really solid, and can teach a beginner what they need to know, but like any fast track programs I recommend putting in effort outside of core hours, and look beyond the scope of what they are teaching.  I do see room for improvement in the back end curriculum, I suppose that would be my only 'complaint', but it was still really good. (curriculum would be 5/5 if they improved the backend)

• Olga Chupp  User Photo
    Olga Chupp • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I highly recommend the Kenzie Software Engineer program. The income share agreement is revolutionary and affordable. The ability to study remotely is extremely convenient. The lecturers and staff are both helpful and friendly.

I was looking to change my career field and Kenzie Academy provided the best opportunity available.I consider the training that I have already received to be invaluable to my future success.

I have always enjoyed coding and Kenzie has given me a practical use for that skill. It feels like I have a brand new space to grow in.

• Brandi C.  User Photo
    Brandi C. • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

The level of care, concern, and support that I have received from Kenzie since starting in July 2019 have shown me that I couldn't have made a better decision. I love that, even remotely, we are allowed and encouraged to interact and ask questions live during the lecture as opposed to having to wait until later. There are so many coaches available when you have questions. I love the model so far and I am confident things will only continue to get better at Kenzie Academy.

• Hamilton Young  User Photo
    Hamilton Young • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I've been part of the 2nd user experience design chort at Kenzie Academy for 7 months now and i could not be in a better place. When starting at Kenzie I knew almost nothing about UX design but over the past 7 moths I can say i feel more than job ready. Along with the second half of my one year track whitch is front end development . I am now learing how i can take all the designs i've man and actually build them in a full functioning app/website. Dont feel like I am dragging my self into class everyday like some of my college experience was like. I enjoy feeling like im a real work environment learning hands on how my day to day might feel like at a real company.