By Imogen Crispe
Last Updated January 31, 2019
In January 2019, the top news in the tech bootcamp industry was all about Income Sharing Agreements and university coding bootcamps – it was a flurry of fascinating news! We start with a potential policy change being discussed in congress, talk through a $30 million fundraise, and summarize articles about ISAs from the New York Times, Fortune, Vice, and TechCrunch. Plus, we will tell you about some student success stories, and the 11 new bootcamps we added to the Course Report directory in January!
Universities + Bootcamps in Congress
The Debate Over Income Sharing Agreements
Are coding bootcamps still motivated by “filling the skills gap”?
Bootcamps for a Cause
Two Apprenticeships To Know
Three Success Stories
New Bootcamps & Campuses
- According to New Times, Rwanda is launching its own coding school, which lasts 3 years and includes a 6-month internship training abroad.
- According to Business Cloud, Northcoders is opening a campus in Leeds, UK. In the Yorkshire Post, the founder talks about the diversity of the Northcoders cohorts, saying that 35% of students are women.
- Coding Dojo has announced a 10th campus in Orange County, California
- Lubbock Online reports on a new part-time coding academy in Lubbock called Lubbock Coding Academy.
- According to Geekwire, Nicole Buchanan is stepping down as director for all-women's coding bootcamp ADA Developers Academy. Christine Martin, partner and founder at The Valtas Group, will serve as the interim director.
- Innovate Birmingham is launching a 13-week free data analytics boot camp in addition to their 14-week web development program in Birmingham, Alabama
- Flatiron School is launching a campus in Denver and launching their data science bootcamp at their Houston campus.
- Eleven Fifty coding bootcamp founder Scott Jones was interviewed by Inside Indiana Business about his plans to expand the bootcamp statewide in Indiana.
New Bootcamps in January 2019:
- San Diego Global Knowledge University in San Diego, California
- The University of Redlands Coding Bootcamp in Redlands, California
- Manchester Codes, in Manchester, UK
- Altcampus in Dharamshala, India
- Untapped Code Academy in Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Valley Bootcamp in Bangalore, India
- Digital Career Institute in Germany, with campuses in Berlin, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, and Koln (Cologne)
- TrueCoders in Birmingham Alabama
- Woz U in Scottsdale Arizona, and online
- Pragra in Mississauga, Canada, Noida, India, and online
- Great Learning in India (Bangalore, Gurgaon, Chennai, and Hyderabad)
Our Favorite Blog Posts in January
Imogen enjoyed interviewing Roniece Ricardo, a graduate of Flatiron School’s Access Labs - a version of their software engineering immersive which offers deferred tuition for low-income students. Roniece told us about her feelings of imposter syndrome as a woman of color entering tech, and how the Flatiron community really embraced her and made her feel welcome in the space. Roniece then moved from New York to Atlanta to help launch a new Flatiron campus, and work as a teaching assistant.
- In light of Data Privacy Day, Liz’s favorite piece was with Logan Weir who had been to a data science bootcamp, was working at a startup, and found himself feeling like a “jack of all trades” engineer. So he went to Galvanize to hone his skills and is now specializing as a Machine Learning Engineer! In talking to him, we could tell that he was very intentional about the jobs he applied to and companies he worked at in data. He says, “My top tech companies are going to be doing ethical, socially responsible work with data, and are people who believe in open source data. People call data “the oil of the information age” and while it can be used in terrible, terrible ways, it can also be used in some pretty amazing ways to benefit people. I’ve had the ability to follow a moral compass in my career.” Great advice!
If you enjoyed this podcast, help other future bootcampers find it by subscribing to the Course Report podcast on iTunes, and leaving a review. Course Report is also on Stitcher!