galvanize-logo

Galvanize

Austin, Boulder, Denver, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle

Galvanize

Galvanize offers a 13-week full-time and a 26-week part-time data science bootcamp, as well as Hack Reactor's 12-week JavaScript coding bootcamp in Austin, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City. The data science bootcamp covers Python, SQL, and Hadoop. The software engineering bootcamp covers full stack JavaScript including AngulaJS, Node.js, and Express.js.

Candidates are advised to submit their applications 6 weeks before the course start date to leave enough time to complete the admissions process. For the Data Science Immersive, students should ideally have experience in Python programming, math, statistics, and probability, and must complete a technical exercise, and two technical interviews. For the Software Engineering Immersive, students must learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as part of the admissions process prep work, and show admissions staff that they can solve problems like an engineer through a technical interview.

By integrating education and industry, Galvanize puts learning and working side by side. Galvanize aims to teach students the skills and concepts they need to make an impact in a new career, or improve their skills at their current gig. As well as immersive bootcamps, Galvanize also offers short courses, workshops, and events.

Recent Galvanize Reviews: Rating 4.51

all (198) reviews for Galvanize →

Recent Galvanize News

Read all (86) articles about Galvanize →
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, SQL, Python
    LocationPhoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    In just 13 weeks, you'll learn the tools, techniques, and fundamental concepts you need to know to make an impact as a data scientist. During the course of the program, you'll work through messy, real-world data sets to gain experience across the data science stack: data munging, exploration, modeling, validation, visualization, and communication.
    Deposit$1,500
    We partner with SkillsFund and Climb Credit for students who need help financing their tuition.

Tuition PlansYes, we work with lending partners.
    Refund / GuaranteeYes, as per contract
    ScholarshipWe offer scholarships based on merit, demonstrated financial need, and increasing participation in technology among underrepresented groups such as women, veterans, minorities, and people who identify as LGBT.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior experience in coding Python, math & stats is needed.
    Prep WorkTake Home Technical on Python & Stats challenges
  • Software Engineering Immersive

AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationPhoenix, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, Boulder, New York City, Denver
    Our Software Engineering Immersive bootcamp goes beyond teaching the most in-demand technologies. Teaching Hack Reactor’s rigorous industry-tested software engineering curriculum, our bootcamp emphasizes soft skills and brings together cutting-edge tech like React, ES6 and blockchain with computer science fundamentals. After completing this program, you’ll be prepared to understand new tech languages, libraries and frameworks.
    Deposit$1,500
    We partner SkillsFund and Climb Credit for students who need help financing their tuition.

Tuition PlansYes, we work with lending partners.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced Beginner
    - 3/3/2021
    Nick Henderson  User Photo
    Nick Henderson • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I would highly recommend Galvanize to anyone who is looking to change careers and become a data scientist. The instructors were excellent, the pacing was just right, and I really liked all of my classmates. I was able to learn a lot in a short period without burning out. The program provided a great opportunity to work collaboratively on projects, and to take ownership of solo projects from end to end, which are both valuable skills that came up in interviews. I felt that I finished the program with a fairly deep understanding of machine learning and data science concepts. Breaking in to the data science field is difficult, with or without a bootcamp, but Galvanize definitely gave me a leg up.

Shortly after I graduated, I was able to land a data science job at a prominent tech company. Full disclosure, I have a PhD and I had a connection at the company already, so your mileage may vary. That said, my experience at Galvanize made the interviews a breeze.
  • Heather Berginc  User Photo
    Heather Berginc • Associate Data Science Instructor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I loved the experience and it has completely transformed my day to day life for the better. Getting involved with the Data Science Curriculum through Galvanize was really tough but equally rewarding. The material presented is not something you couldn't necessarily go find on your own online, but the pace, the structure, the community and the organization of teach/reteach has given me the power to feel like no matter what I come across, I now have the power to quickly teach myself. I left Galvanize, confident in my skills, my resume and my projects. I swear, if you have the stamina to work all day every day in the immersive environment for 15 hard weeks, you will come out of it with some really applicable skills.
  • Zack Magnotti  User Photo
    Zack Magnotti • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As someone who didn't finish college and didn't have a clear plan for my life beyond paying next month's rent, Galvanize has changed my whole life in so many ways. While studying here I not only learned and honed the essential skills necessary to be a data scientist, I also connected to a massive network of amazing people and did a number of awesome projects which I'll be able to put on my resume forever.
  • Gina Santana  User Photo
    Gina Santana • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The remote, full-time DSI program at Galvanize was a worthwhile experience. I started the program with no background in programming. The curriculum is created with all skill levels in mind and works you from the ground up. The instructors and staff are friendly and approachable as well as dedicated to helping you understand concepts. There was a great balance between lecture-style material as well as hands-on practical application of concepts in the form of individual, group, or paired programming assignments. There is a good mix of teaching types for all learners. During and after graduation you are assigned a career coach to help you achieve your career goals which I found to be very helpful and supportive.
  • Lu  User Photo
    Lu • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a wonderful experience during the Data Science Immersive at Galvanize. The course material introduces you to many concepts, tools, techniques, and other useful resources that will help you immensely as you continue your career as a data scientist. The teaching staff (Matt Z and Alex B) are super helpful when you are stuck and they provide very useful feedback during capstone projects as well as insight into industry standards and best practices. The program lead (Tim Asprec) provides the energy and logistics throughout the course, ensuring everyone is on the same page, performing at their best, and becoming an overall better data scientist. Tim really helps you develop your communication as well as presentation skills.

As with any bootcamp, the best results will come from what you are able to put into it. If you dedicate yourself, put in the work, and prepare accordingly, you will learn a lot and develop new skills that will help you in your data science career. The staff are always there to guide and help you along the way. I personally learned and took a lot away from this experience.

I will say that finding a job is its own endeavor, so make sure you also plan and prepare for networking and building connections. Due to the pandemic, it is a bit more difficult to have in person networking opportunities, but I am sure we will find ways to have virtual networking opportunities.
  • Jonathan Lendof  User Photo
    Jonathan Lendof • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Galvanize Data Science Immersive was an amazing opportunity and experience.  The staff did a great job at every aspect of the course.  Matt and Alex did really excellent at providing professional and relevant course material to the students. With the material relating to the work currently being done by the industry. The Data Science Residents Lu and Mitch were there with us every step of the way providing support when required. Ben did and is still doing great at providing career services ensuring that we find job placement in a relevant field.Tim Asprec is the maestro that guides the way and puts all of the programs' functions together delivering a complete product. Really grateful to the staff and I am confident in my ability to perform in the job market.
  • Dewayne  User Photo
    Dewayne • AI Researcher • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I really enjoyed the Galvanize Data Science Immersive. The program was online due to the pandemic. However, the experience didn't miss a step. The information was extensive and the instructors were excellent. My fellow classmates were all excellent and motivated to learn the material. The Galvanize team also had an excellent career team that gave great support in getting a job. With my learnings from Galvanize DSI I developed a new NLP training technique that got me 3 speaking engagements. My paper was technically reviewed and accepted by a Machine Learning Conference and the #1 Data Science Online Publication. The only thing that I would say is that the program was a little too structured for me. However, My time at Galvanize was truly life changing. I highly recommend
  • Zi Yang  User Photo
    Zi Yang • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The DSi boot camp has a consolidated, well-organized lesson plan that is executed in an energetic, cohesive way, even during COVID's requirement of remote lessons. My co-hort team members are my friends and we still talk after the class. The instructors and staff show that they truly care. I feel like I get the instruction I need to succeed, the experience in coding I need to continue my journey, and the support in the job searching process.

PROs
    -Well organized course and lesson material
    -wealth of knowledge from instructors and old materials
    -small, tight-knit cohorts
    -great PMs that keep the energy going
    -flexible and understanding with regards to personal schedule
    -listens to student feedback and tries to make the adjustments almost immediately
    -multiple payment support / options
    CONS
    -Can be rigid in certain areas regarding curriculum due to company policy
    -I would have liked for it to start earlier (currently 9AM to 5PM PST)
    -classes move very quickly and cover many many topics since it's supposed to be equivalent to a 4-year degree
  • Zachary Villarreal  User Photo
    Zachary Villarreal • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Galvanize provides an excellent platform for those who are willing to put in the time to make a career transition quickly. This program is a full-time, when I say full-time, I mean if you're not in class you're studying. If you enjoy a fast-paced environment, then this bootcamp is for you. However, even if you do struggle with the faster pace this program brings, your instructors/classmates are there to help you along the way.

Pros:  Staff are all extremely intelligent and their willingness to help is second to none. Lectures are fast-paced, but efficient enough to gain a basic understanding of each concept. Classmates are all highly intelligent and friendly. Galvanize provides a platform on which, if you are dedicated enough, allows you to succeed in learning the basics of what data science has to offer.

• Awesome Experience
    - 1/28/2021
    Trevor McLemore  User Photo
    Trevor McLemore • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Context is I'm a PhD student in economics and took a leave of absence to take the Data Science Immersive. I started learning Python about a month before the program started, but made learning Python a full time job to get past the interview (which I failed the first time). My goal with the education is to go back to my PhD and get a part time research job. Going into research, I'm going to crush their starting income statistics, but as far as I can tell they don't care at all. I've received nothing, but sincere support in reaching my goals and their jobs team is top notch in getting you to present the best version of yourself.

I've done a condensed masters program in operations research at a top program and gone through the naval nuclear power pipeline and I'd say Galvanize's Data Science is on par with either of those for intensity. The difference is the level of support for Galvanize was near instantaneous which allowed us to cover material faster. Through the trouble ticketing process, when I got stuck, I'd get pulled into a separate zoom room and step through my process with someone that knew more than me about the topic to correct the errors in my logic. My first project I did exploratory data analysis and hypothesis testing on the impact of local transportation and commutes on COVID cases and deaths. My second project I scraped product features and price from an appliance website and used inferential statistics (LASSO, Ridge) to figure out what I'd be paying for (I'm remodeling my kitchen). My third project I built a simulation of the board game risk and made different player behaviors so I could analyze winning strategies from the data generated by running thousands of games. Right now I'm building on this last capstone to analyze whether it makes sense to play cooperative. Again, I couldn't program in Python at all a month before I started the program and now I'm confident in Python and SQL. Most people did really cool machine learning projects, but that isn't as much my interest although I feel comfortable with the techniques now.

The community is great. I got to build my skills collaboratively with my classmates through pair programming. The instructional staff is top notch. They know the material well and they are good at pointing to quality resources if something is outside the scope. The material also stays with the student so I can continue practicing. The alumni slack is an awesome resource. Today I asked for resources for learning C and within an hour got two quality links from someone who could program in C. I learned lots of material and it was a collaborative and fun environment to do that in.
  • Sachin Gokal  User Photo
    Sachin Gokal • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The data science program was very organized and provided an environment to build skills in statistics, exploratory data analysis, Python programming, and machine learning. The curriculum included extremely detailed lessons and assignments across major topics, frameworks, and methodologies in data science. The Galvanize instructors and staff went above and beyond to provide feedback and guidance for assignments, capstone projects, and career development. I highly recommend the program if you are interested in data science.
  • Lester Rodriguez  User Photo
    Lester Rodriguez • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Joined the free prep course in January 2020, as a complete noob. Had a great chat with an enrollment officer than decided to enroll in premium prep and never looked back. The complete experience from the enrollment officer, to the prep instructors and just overall support, was amazing. You really can't beat the price for the level of attention you get for a prep course (this would apply for any school that delivers the content the way Galvanize did and only charges $495). I was planning on using VET TEC but funding ran out before I attended the course in June but luckily they allowed me to use my 9/11 GI Bill. I was expecting the Data Science Immersive to not be as great since it got pushed to online due to COVID. I leaned into it and was pleasantly surprised that the delviery of the content was EXTREMELY seamless. The course pushes your comfort levels hard and if you're not into that kinda thing when learning then I would definitely say it's not for you, sadly. You should always be pushing your comfort when learning.

This was one of my reviews during the course....

I am always very critical of people in positions as teachers/educators/instructors. I am the dot product of many not-so-great teachers and have many times felt frustrated that the learning process was either too rigid and/or not conducive to pushing the boundaries of our own understanding, without feeling judged or looked down upon.
    At every turn, you've always felt approachable, although it seems like you all practice stoicism - it's hard to get a read on what you're thinking or feeling by looking at you, nonetheless, you have created the learning environment that I believe should exist for every student that goes through an education process.
    I know it’s not easy going through 13-weeks of teaching topics that make complete sense to you and are easy in your minds, while people look at you cluelessly wondering how to do a dot-product, yet the only moments I ever felt uncomfortable were from my own insecurities of my previous teacher/student environments. In short, your approach to teaching is a model for what every teacher/student environment should be. Keep up the amazing work and hope our paths cross many times.

The support from start to end is truly fantastic!

Just graduated so we'll see how the career search goes but I have high hopes. I'll rate after everything is said and done.