galvanize-logo

Galvanize

Austin, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Phoenix, San Francisco

Galvanize

Galvanize offers a 13-week full-time and a 26-week part-time data science bootcamp, as well as Hack Reactor's 12-week JavaScript coding bootcamp in Austin, Boulder, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City. The data science bootcamp covers Python, SQL, and Hadoop. The software engineering bootcamp covers full stack JavaScript including AngulaJS, Node.js, and Express.js.

Candidates are advised to submit their applications 6 weeks before the course start date to leave enough time to complete the admissions process. For the Data Science Immersive, students should ideally have experience in Python programming, math, statistics, and probability, and must complete a technical exercise, and two technical interviews. For the Software Engineering Immersive, students must learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as part of the admissions process prep work, and show admissions staff that they can solve problems like an engineer through a technical interview.

By integrating education and industry, Galvanize puts learning and working side by side. Galvanize aims to teach students the skills and concepts they need to make an impact in a new career, or improve their skills at their current gig. As well as immersive bootcamps, Galvanize also offers short courses, workshops, and events.

Recent Galvanize Reviews: Rating 4.53

all (209) reviews for Galvanize →

Recent Galvanize News

Read all (91) articles about Galvanize →
  • Software Engineering Immersive

AngularJS, CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, React.js, SQL
    LocationLos Angeles, Denver, Online, Phoenix, Austin, San Francisco, New York City
    Our Software Engineering Immersive bootcamp goes beyond teaching the most in-demand technologies. Teaching Hack Reactor’s rigorous industry-tested software engineering curriculum, our bootcamp emphasizes soft skills and brings together cutting-edge tech like React, ES6 and blockchain with computer science fundamentals. After completing this program, you’ll be prepared to understand new tech languages, libraries and frameworks.
    Deposit$1,500
    We partner SkillsFund and Climb Credit for students who need help financing their tuition.

Tuition PlansYes, we work with lending partners.
    ScholarshipWe offer scholarships based on merit, demonstrated financial need, and increasing participation in technology among underrepresented groups such as women, veterans, minorities, and people who identify as LGBT.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced Beginner
  • Sim Borodach  User Photo
    Sim Borodach • Verified via LinkedIn
    The Galvanize DSI was everything I expected it to be and more. I was in the Austin campus, studying remote from NJ due to the pandemic. My instructors were passionate and dedicated every step of the way. Galvanize absolutely prepares its students for what's to come in the industry. If you are considering the course, reach out to me! I'd be happy to share some perspective :)
  • Juliette  User Photo
    Juliette • Data Scientist • Verified via LinkedIn
    Galvanize was a great experience for me, and I'd recommend the DSI to anyone looking for a career transition to data science. The course material is interesting and comprehensive, staff is engaging and knowledgeable, and my cohort was friendly and motivated. I also appreciate that the curriculum seems up to date with current data science industry standards, based on conversations with people in the field. In terms of structure, the DSI is a combination of structured vs. unstructured and collaborative vs. independent learning. Everyday students have a set schedule of lectures and assignments to work on, both independently and within groups. But at the same time there's also room for self-guided learning and creative thinking. My favorite part of the DSI was applying what we learned in the classroom to real world problems through group case studies and individual capstone projects. We got the chance to dive deeper into areas that interested us, come up with our own ideas, and build our own projects from the ground up.

Once we covered most of the course material, it was time to apply for jobs. The job search process was made much easier by our career advisor, who consistently offered students advice, support, and overall preparation for the search. He was a huge help guiding us through the entire process, from interview prep to post-offer negotiation. Students are encouraged to start applying a few weeks before graduation, and have access to personalized career support for up to six months after graduation.

Overall Galvanize does a great job of not just teaching students a variety of data science concepts but also equipping students with the tools needed to get a job in the field and take control of their own learning after the program. The environment is welcoming but also pushes students to go beyond the basics and think outside the box. I learned so much in a short amount of time, and can't recommend it enough!
  • Noah S  User Photo
    Noah S • Data Science Resident • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The Galvanize Data Science Immersive is a challenging and immersive course. The course took me from hobbyist programmer to serviceable junior data scientist in a few short months. Also worth a mention is their great post-graduation career services.
  • Ken S  User Photo
    Ken S • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    For prospective students considering doing a bootcamp, let me demystify some things about how they work that will hopefully help inform your decision. Let me first preface by saying that I am a graduate from the Galvanize Data Science Immersive so my experience is anchored to that program and your mileage may vary.

Q: "Is this program going to give me everything that I need to get a job in data science?"

A: Yes and no. Data science is such a multi-faceted and constantly evolving space that it's impossible, let alone in 3 months, for any program anywhere to cover EVERYTHING. That being said, Galvanize does an amazing job of touching on all of the major topics that are making their rounds in the professional data science world today. I would say that going through the program makes you a jack of all trades where you have at least some working knowledge or awareness of any data science subject matter that may come your way. However, by virtue of how they structure their curriculum, there's plenty of extra content for each topic covered that you can revisit after the program if you want to fortify your skills/become specialized in that discipline. In this way, I believe that Galvanize gives you all the tools that you need, so long as you're motivated, to gain the skills required to land a job in data science.

Q: "Is Galvanize worth it? Could I acquire the same knowledge using other resources like freecodecamp, Udemy, Coursera, etc?"

A: In a sentence: Yes, I believe Galvanize is absolutely worth it and I'll explain why. Before starting, I too was apprehensive about committing such a large sum of money when I wasn't sure if I could get the same output from cheaper alternatives. Having done it, I can now say that there's no way that I would be where I am today with my technical knowledge and understanding of data science going through self-taught platforms and online courses in 3 months. Don't get me wrong, these are also extremely valuable and useful ways to supplement your learning (which I still use now). However, the biggest differentiating factor with doing Galvanize is that it gives you STRUCTURE. Before joining, I aimlessly practiced Python, some SQL, and tried a couple udemy courses I saw from articles online. These are good for learning pointed skills but Galvanize picks relevant material and organizes it in such a way that's conducive to building a solid, wholistic foundation for you as a data scientist. This way, they can handle the learning roadmap and topic selection while you focus on the learning itself.

Q: "Why Galvanize?"
    A:
    Galvanize is about more than just your education. Through the program, you join a community of like-minded and driven individuals. It's a place where you can network, a space where you can learn new skills, and a program which has top-tier instructional staff to teach you about data science. If you're on the fence about which program to take, here's another vote urging you to try Galvanize. It's a hard program - yes, but the knowledge and friendships you gain from pushing through the hardship are everlasting and worthwhile.

TL;DR
    Galvanize was one of the best decisions I've made in my career and I can't imagine where I'd be on my data science journey without it. If you're considering doing their DSI program, I can't recommend it enough.
  • Nicholas K  User Photo
    Nicholas K • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I want to be clear about what a bootcamp is and what it is not: it's not a silver bullet that will make you employable and professional. Your diploma is not an 8 1/2'' x 11'' ticket you turn in for a job and neither is a bootcamp certificate. What it is is a place to build yourself up and a community that will move there with you.

When the pandemic hit I learned as much programming as I could, but after a while I hit a wall. I found myself without direction or motivation. I decided to join a bootcamp and picked Galvanize because they were the best, simple as that. I didn't just learn the latest and most "need to know" algorithms (though believe me it's all there). You can't just learn data, you need to learn how to be a scientist. I got classmates, I got deadlines, I got new software, I got critical feedback, but I also got the skills to be a team player and to rise to the challenge of all the others. My resume now has all the buzzwords like "responsibility, achieved, passion, leadership." I also can't stress enough how important the community is. My peers and instructors kept me motivated because they wanted to see me succeed. Galvanize knows this and make it a point to foster community.

A note on the technical side though: a bootcamp is baptism by fire, so be ready. Again, I studied on my own for a while and I couldn't have made it through without doing that first. I don't have a technical degree or any tech experience but I can say with confidence that a data science career change is difficult but possible. Some bootcamps have absolutely zero barrier to entry which is honestly a red flag. Galvanize has a pre-course so you can gauge if you're ready, then take on the interview. Good luck!
  • Louis Bove  User Photo
    Louis Bove • Machine Learning Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Came into the course with very little coding experience in Python but some good fundamentals in Math. The prep course was very useful and set me up really well to start the course. Once we began the actual course it held a very fast tempo and you really need to be focused to keep up with all of the material. Lucky for us, the instructors and assistant instructors are dedicated to helping you understand the material and complete your projects! The course, material, and instructors are top notch but you need to be dedicated to the course.

Once the course is complete and your portfolio is ready its time for the job search. There is a dedicated employment advisor that prepares you for all aspects of the job search throughout the course and then is dedicating to helping you for a year after the course is over. This was such an important part of me finding a job and I could not say enough good things about them.

This course was one of the best decisions I have made for breaking into Data Science. Thank you all so much!
    - 3/3/2021
    Nick Henderson  User Photo
    Nick Henderson • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I would highly recommend Galvanize to anyone who is looking to change careers and become a data scientist. The instructors were excellent, the pacing was just right, and I really liked all of my classmates. I was able to learn a lot in a short period without burning out. The program provided a great opportunity to work collaboratively on projects, and to take ownership of solo projects from end to end, which are both valuable skills that came up in interviews. I felt that I finished the program with a fairly deep understanding of machine learning and data science concepts. Breaking in to the data science field is difficult, with or without a bootcamp, but Galvanize definitely gave me a leg up.

Shortly after I graduated, I was able to land a data science job at a prominent tech company. Full disclosure, I have a PhD and I had a connection at the company already, so your mileage may vary. That said, my experience at Galvanize made the interviews a breeze.
  • Heather Berginc  User Photo
    Heather Berginc • Associate Data Science Instructor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I loved the experience and it has completely transformed my day to day life for the better. Getting involved with the Data Science Curriculum through Galvanize was really tough but equally rewarding. The material presented is not something you couldn't necessarily go find on your own online, but the pace, the structure, the community and the organization of teach/reteach has given me the power to feel like no matter what I come across, I now have the power to quickly teach myself. I left Galvanize, confident in my skills, my resume and my projects. I swear, if you have the stamina to work all day every day in the immersive environment for 15 hard weeks, you will come out of it with some really applicable skills.
  • Zack Magnotti  User Photo
    Zack Magnotti • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As someone who didn't finish college and didn't have a clear plan for my life beyond paying next month's rent, Galvanize has changed my whole life in so many ways. While studying here I not only learned and honed the essential skills necessary to be a data scientist, I also connected to a massive network of amazing people and did a number of awesome projects which I'll be able to put on my resume forever.
  • Gina Santana  User Photo
    Gina Santana • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The remote, full-time DSI program at Galvanize was a worthwhile experience. I started the program with no background in programming. The curriculum is created with all skill levels in mind and works you from the ground up. The instructors and staff are friendly and approachable as well as dedicated to helping you understand concepts. There was a great balance between lecture-style material as well as hands-on practical application of concepts in the form of individual, group, or paired programming assignments. There is a good mix of teaching types for all learners. During and after graduation you are assigned a career coach to help you achieve your career goals which I found to be very helpful and supportive.
  • Lu  User Photo
    Lu • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a wonderful experience during the Data Science Immersive at Galvanize. The course material introduces you to many concepts, tools, techniques, and other useful resources that will help you immensely as you continue your career as a data scientist. The teaching staff (Matt Z and Alex B) are super helpful when you are stuck and they provide very useful feedback during capstone projects as well as insight into industry standards and best practices. The program lead (Tim Asprec) provides the energy and logistics throughout the course, ensuring everyone is on the same page, performing at their best, and becoming an overall better data scientist. Tim really helps you develop your communication as well as presentation skills.

As with any bootcamp, the best results will come from what you are able to put into it. If you dedicate yourself, put in the work, and prepare accordingly, you will learn a lot and develop new skills that will help you in your data science career. The staff are always there to guide and help you along the way. I personally learned and took a lot away from this experience.

I will say that finding a job is its own endeavor, so make sure you also plan and prepare for networking and building connections. Due to the pandemic, it is a bit more difficult to have in person networking opportunities, but I am sure we will find ways to have virtual networking opportunities.