hack-reactor-logo

Hack Reactor

Austin, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle

Hack Reactor

Founded in 2012, Hack Reactor is a 12-week immersive coding school providing software engineering education, career placement services, and a network of professional peers. Hack Reactor has campuses in San Francisco, Austin, Los Angeles, and New York City, as well as an online, remote immersive (full-time and part-time)​. During the first six weeks at Hack Reactor, students learn the fundamentals of development, full stack JavaScript and are introduced to developer tools and technologies. In the final six weeks, students work on personal and group projects, using the skills they have learned, and learning more. After 800+ hours of curriculum, students graduate as full-stack software engineers and JavaScript programmers.

Hack Reactor’s immersive program is known for demanding a starting skill set beyond that of a beginner, so the applicants should allow 2 to 4 months for the admissions process. Applicants should start by enrolling in one of Hack Reactor's free or paid prep programs to learn the basics of JavaScript and prepare for Hack Reactor's technical interview. The technical interview lasts an hour and covers coding problems in JavaScript related to the prep course curriculum. After passing the technical interview, students begin Hack Reactor's 80-hour precourse.

Job preparation is integrated into the curriculum, and students will build an online presence, resume and LinkedIn profile by graduation. Hack Reactor places alumni in mid-to-senior level positions at companies in tech, including Google, Salesforce & Microsoft, with an average graduate salary of $105K (2017 San Francisco student outcomes survey; 81% survey response rate).

Recent Hack Reactor Reviews: Rating 4.72

all (316) reviews for Hack Reactor →

Recent Hack Reactor News

Read all (65) articles about Hack Reactor →
  • Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive

CSS, HTML, JavaScript, AngularJS, Express.js, Front End, Git, jQuery, MySQL, Node.js, React.js
    LocationOnline, Denver, Seattle, New York City, Los Angeles, Austin, San Francisco
    The Hack Reactor immersive coding bootcamp is focused on building autonomous, fully capable software engineers. Every unit in our curriculum has been pored over numerous times to optimize for educational power and efficiency. The first half of the course is often described as “drinking from a firehose” because of how much information it packs in. In the second half, you use your new skills to build projects, while learning new technologies on the fly. By the end you will be an autonomous engineer, capable of tackling unique, unfamiliar problems and building complex applications.
    DepositAfter you have been accepted, a small deposit is required in order to secure your spot in the class.
    Around half of our students receive help in financing their Hack Reactor journey. We offer full-tuition scholarships, Income Share Agreements, and work with lending partners like Ascent Funding and Climb Credit that understand the investment you are making in yourself.
    Tuition PlansFinancing options are available.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    ScholarshipVisit https://www.galvanizefoundation.org/ for more information!
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents need to demonstrate they are: fluent with JavaScript fundamentals, able to think like an engineer, are driven learners and empathic communicators. We have a free prep program to help you develop these skills.
    Prep WorkHack Reactor focuses on merit, not prior experience. We provide prep programs for students from any background to study and pass admissions. Take our free self-paced online prep program or a live online prep class to prepare.
  • Remote Full-time Software Engineering Immersive

React.js, Node.js, MySQL, jQuery, HTML, Git, Express.js, JavaScript, Front End, AngularJS
    Hack Reactor’s Software Engineering Online Immersive, available as a full-time or part-time program, takes the same curriculum from Hack Reactor’s onsite immersive coding bootcamp and makes it accessible to remote students across the world. You'll learn from instructors face-to-face over cloud-based live chat software, pair program with classmates almost every day of the course, and have the option to socialize during special after-hours events. We provide private access to teachers and mentors, a Help Desk that's always ready to answer your questions, and a strong peer community; all immediately available through messaging and live webchat. All our online programs are run in Pacific Time (PT).
    Prep Workhttps://www.hackreactor.com/prep-programs
  • Remote Part-Time Software Engineering Immersive

JavaScript, HTML, CSS, AngularJS, Express.js, Front End, jQuery, MySQL, Node.js, React.js
    Learn full-stack engineering over nine months. Same Hack Reactor curriculum, program and quality - no need to quit your job. Class is held live online with two weeknights and one half-Saturday per week plus required independent study.
    Tuition PlansApplicants who would otherwise be unable to attend Hack Reactor may split their tuition into installments and finish paying a portion of tuition up to six months after graduation.
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    ScholarshipVisit https://www.galvanizefoundation.org/ to apply!
  • Bob  User Photo
    Bob • Associate Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    This is an incredibly rigorous program, so you have to know that this will be the entirety of your focus for the full three months (and you will be putting quite a bit of time doing prep work in the month and a half or so before it officially begins). "Drinking from a firehose" is the way a fellow graduate put it, and it definitely felt that way. If you are up for it (and why wouldn't you be? this is your life and it's yours to do with it what you will!), it does deliver on its promise. I graduated in April 2021, spent a couple of weeks enrolled in their new-ish "job search program" (really useful structured assistance, offered cost-free to graduates), and landed a (paid) internship that began in June. It is now the beginning of September, and I have just recently been promoted to the role of a full-time associate engineer; this was the finish line I knew I needed to cross before I could truthfully review the course for a site like Course Report. While I do have minor quibbles/gripes about certain aspects of its structure and pedagogy, these concerns are rendered moot in the face of the real-world results they've provided. In sum, I couldn't be more pleased with the decision I made in enrolling in Hack Reactor. Like many others, I came to coding incredibly green (I was forced to make a career change due to the pandemic). The fact that within half a year of completing the program I can now say that I am a full-time (and well-paid) associate software engineer is sort of all that needs to be said for this program's effectiveness. Buckle up and change your life!
  • Joe Haller  User Photo
    Joe Haller • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My experience at Hack Reactor was undoubtedly one of the most, if not the most challenging academic experience I've had to date. This boot-camp is incredibly rigorous, and the full-time program demands that you devote essentially 100% of your waking life to study. There were times when I felt I would not make it to graduation, but that is not for lack of support on Hack Reactor's part. The instruction team is excellent, and clearly has a genuine desire to help their students grow and succeed.

The curriculum is very well curated, and has a ground up approach which focuses on teaching students skills and technology which are relevant in today's development world. When I started the program, I knew next to nothing about software engineering, and only 3 short months after graduating had a job offer in hand. I would not hesitate to recommend this boot-camp to anyone, granted that they are resilient, have a growth mindset, and are committed to putting in the time and effort required.
  • Joseph Huntington  User Photo
    Joseph Huntington • Support Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I really enjoyed my time at Hack Reactor. The first week or two, I felt so behind that they moved so quickly and the hours were so long. I was under some of the greatest stress of my life. I pushed through and was learning so much, eventually that stress transformed into excitement. I started to have fun between the frustration. I made friends I still hang out with, learned about so many people's unique experiences, and learned so much about programming that I could never have learned on my own. Sometimes it's less about the content being taught and more about having someone provide you the path. In some ways, Hack Reactor paves a path for you, and for many that may be a path out of the infamous "tutorial hell". You also gain real-world experience working in teams and managing productivity and tasks. Overall it was great, and I wish I could do it again with the knowledge I have now. The only thing I would change is the ending. When I give job assistance 3/5 it's not because of my career services manager who was fantastic and certainly the most valuable resource during my job search, but rather the careers week. I think one extra week of focus on job search and practice would've been great. It felt really jammed in at the end. I wanted more personal resume reviews, interview practice, maybe talk with alumni about structuring job search days, etc. I really only feel like I refined my job search to an art months after graduation and I think another week in the program with a focus on that would've put me on that path sooner. In the end, it all worked out though, and I'm so happy with the friends I've made and the knowledge/skills I've obtained.
  • Nastassia  User Photo
    Nastassia • Software Developer at Precision Systems Inc. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hack Reactor was truly an incredible experience. It challenged me to learn quickly, build teamwork, and communicate like an engineer. Not only did I learn the tools that I needed to succeed in the industry, but I also created a portfolio that impressed hiring managers and recruiters. Autonomy is highlighted in this course. You get what you put into it. I entered Hack Reactor with zero background in coding (other than their basic prep) and was able to succeed due to the guidance and help of the staff and my peers. I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who is willing and able to put in the work. This is not an easy course. If you have anything else going on in your life, it is nearly impossible to accomplish. For the right person, this bootcamp can get you a job that you will love just a few weeks out.
  • Daniel He  User Photo
    Daniel He • Front End Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I planned to go to grad school to make my career transition to software engineering but was told Hack Reactor might be a good boot camp to help me do it all faster. In the end, in only 5 months, I was able to sign an offer at a company working on something I really believe in.

If you are incredibly driven, sure about your goals, and value your time, Hack Reactor is the right pressure cooker to get you what you want as fast as possible. The curriculum is highly curated for your development from first principles and the technical support is super valuable. The program becomes a little more hands-off later in the course as it forces you to become a fully autonomous engineer. Trust the process.

It isn't for everyone. If you have other commitments in life currently, it will be hard to find balance during the boot camp.
  • Autonomy is key
    - 3/9/2021
    Joe DiMartino  User Photo
    Joe DiMartino • Full Stack Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I lost my job in the early stages of COVID-19.  I decided to give programming a shot with my downtime.  Hack Reactor was a major component of my path from zero programming experience to an amazing job as a developer within that span of a year.

The style of the SEI program at Hack Reactor suited my needs exactly, but I don't know if that would hold true for everyone.  I had a basic handle on javascript and was starting to apply javascript to web development.  The topic was so expansive that I did not really know where to focus my time.  Hack Reactor focused my attention on a very specific set of skills and concepts that were necessary to build full-stack applications.

I'm fairly certain that I could have self-taught myself the majority of the raw development skills I learned at Hack Reactor.  The really amazing part of it is the compact amount of time it all happened in.  The way the curriculum is structured just worked for me.  You would be introduced to a new topic and get some high-level concepts and best practices that apply to it.  At the same time, you would be assigned a "sprint" on that topic with some vague instructions and some features or functionality to implement.  I think they struck a great balance in providing just enough of a nudge to set you down a good path at the start.  From there it was on you to research the technologies/patterns/libraries being used and develop your solution to the prompt.  It really allowed for a lot of ground to be covered very quickly.

***ACCOUNTABILITY***

There are extremely strict attendance guidelines at Hack Reactor.  They make sure to keep you engaged from 9am-8pm, 6 days a week, for 12 weeks straight.   I definitely would not have been able to maintain that consistent schedule if I was trying to study on my own.  Conservatively I would estimate that what I learned in 12 weeks at Hack Reactor would have taken a minimum of 30 weeks of self-teaching.  That's assuming I was able to stick it out for that whole time.  Also, if I went the self-taught route I would not have had the chance to interact with subject matter experts and develop team-based development skills like pair-programming.

***AUTONOMY***

I cannot stress enough the importance of developing autonomy while at Hack Reactor.  If you want someone to tell you the correct answer or the definitive way to solve problems.... you are in the wrong place.  This program is really about giving you the tools and the mindset to solve the problems yourself.   You will feel incredibly lost again and again while in this program.  This can be incredibly discouraging and frustrating for people.  The key is to develop a sense of autonomy and the skills to seek out and find the answers yourself.  Eventually, that sense of discomfort will become the welcome precedent to finding the solution you were in search of.

The assignments you will receive have some vague requirements to complete.  That said no one will look at your work and say "you didn't do x, y, and z, shame on you".  Conversely, they will also not say "good job doing all that stuff!".  I remember finding this infuriating for the first few weeks.  The lack of direct/pointed feedback was hard to digest.   Eventually, though I saw it as a great parallel for the work I would do as a professional developer.  No one is going to look over your shoulder and police you while you write your code.... except for you.  In this way, I became the judge of my own work.  I was able to identify my weak points and identify any anti-patterns in my code.  This sense of autonomy was the greatest lesson I got out of the whole program.

***COMMUNITY***

When I attended Hack Reactor all classes were remote via zoom due to COVID-19.  I remember being extremely worried that I would feel very disconnected from the community due to the remote nature of the course.  It's crazy how wrong I was.  I felt so welcomed by the staff, senior students, and my cohort mates from day one.  My campus did an amazing job creating community among everyone in the program.  There were weekly social/game nights and tons of mixers so everyone could get to know each other.  My cohort ended up being very close and we even met up for drinks in person a couple of times.  I have no doubt I will be friends/colleagues with the people I met at Hack Reactor for years to come.

***JOB HUNT***

I don't think Hack Reactor advertises much if any assistance with actually finding a job after the program, but either way, don't expect much here.  It is 100% on YOU to find a job after you graduate.  Of course, they will give you plenty of tools and strategies to set you up for success in accomplishing your goals.  You will get help building your resume and online presence as well as how you present yourself in interviews.  That is about the extent of it though.  A major benefit is access to a massive network of alumni that can help you get your foot in the door at a lot of companies.

***GRIPES***

I only have one real gripe which is that this is simultaneously one of the most expensive programs like this out there while also being one of the shortest.  It really is a ton of material to cover in the amount of time and I think it would really benefit everyone to stretch out the program a bit to give some more time to absorb the material.
  • Software Engineer
    - 2/22/2021
    Andrew Song  User Photo
    Andrew Song • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     Joining Hack Reactor was hands-down one of the best decisions that I could have made for myself. The program does an extraordinary job of providing students with the tools they need to be successful, both technically and professionally. In-depth lectures, supportive campus staff, exciting challenges and projects, and all-around amazing people. I came into the program with a decent amount of coding experience and was surprised to learn much more than I was expecting to. The program is dedicated to the success of each student and will do everything they can to help you land your first job as a software engineer. With that said, be prepared to put in the work. As helpful and dedicated as the staff members are, nothing is going to be handed to you on a silver platter. The assignments are tough and it’s not uncommon for students to be coding late nights. The environment is fast-paced - expect to learn something completely new every couple of days for the first six weeks. It will be up to you to reach out for help or find additional resources if you’re not understanding something. But in return, expect a fantastic support group from both local and program-wide staff, a powerful network of alumni for you to connect with, your own Career Services Manager that will push you through the job search, and friends that will last a lifetime!
  • Jesse Perez  User Photo
    Jesse Perez • Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub
    I had been eyeing hack reactor for the past 5 years and finally decided to make the switch and attend in fall 2020. I'm so glad I did! I attended the Austin campus (remote due to covid) and the staff was amazing. While yes, everything they teach could be found online for free - the path, support and friends that I found with hack reactor made it worth every penny. It definitely wasn't an easy program, about 11 hours a day, 6 days a week - but it was packed full of lectures, practice, projects and career advice. While I'm still starting the job search, the amount of support after the program is over is also great. I have constant meetings with my Career Services manager and he always gives great advice and is constantly available to answer questions. It was a lot of work to get admitted, and a lot of work to get through the program, but I'm really happy I did.
  • KIm Luu  User Photo
    KIm Luu • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hack Reactor is a great place for very little or no computer science background people to start their journey to become a professional software engineer. I was a complete outsider in the software and computer field before HR.  From a little knowledge about Javascript when I started my cohort, I graduated being able to create full-stack applications and then got a job as a software engineer a month and a haft later. I also appreciate the soft skills I got from HR. From small things like explaining problems clearly when I need help, to pair programming skills, to be autonomous in learning new technologies, all of these skills help me so much in my day to day tasks. The career week and the job search program are big pluses since they keep you sharp with your tech skills and help with job search materials like cover letters or resumes. HR's staff is really great. From cohort leads to tech mentors, to residents, they all really care about students and try their best to help. Enrolling in HR is one of the best decisions I have made.
  • Tracy Tran  User Photo
    Tracy Tran • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    If you are here reading this right now, you've probably already done extensive research on Hack Reactor's Software Engineering Immersive program and now you're wondering, "Is it worth it?" As someone who have been through the bootcamp and have pursued a degree in Computer Science at a credited University, I can assure you that this twelve weeks bootcamp is worth a lot more than two (or more) years of college. Let me break down my ratings for you:

I won't dive too deeply into the tech stacks because technology changes everyday and great programs should adapt to those changes and provide you with the best curriculum to keep you updated on the current tech stacks. What is really important is not WHAT you learn but HOW you learn it. Hack Reactor instills autonomy into its students and at first you might feel like you're just thrown to the wolves but trust me, it is a valuable skill to have. Hack Reactor provides a professional experience in an educational environment by putting you in the same situations that you would find yourself in the professional career and they prepare you by forcing you to learn autonomously. You are going to have vague lectures, vague assignment requirements, vague directions, vague answers...well, you get the point. If you are like me then your first thought would be "I didn't pay $20,000 to learn and do everything on my own" and you would be kind of correct. Hack Reactor wants you to learn and do MOST of everything on your own (or in a team) because you are not going to be handheld in a professional working environment, but this is where Hack Reactor shines. They provide you guidance and show you HOW to figure things out on your own so that when the time comes and you're at your first engineering job and you have no clue what to do, you're going to be able to overcome those moments of uncertainty. Hack Reactor provides students with all of the technical support a student needs to not only excel in the program, but in their future career.

TLDR; You might definitely will have moments where you have to learn and figure things out on your own, but Hack Reactor will help you figure out how to do that efficiently and effectively.

"Does this program guarantee me a job?" No, it does not guarantee you a job and I've had to explain this to my fellow friends a few times. Hack Reactor can't force a company to hire you, give you an interview, or read your job application. What Hack Reactor does is help shape each student into an ideal candidate and shares best practices to strengthen your chances of being seen by companies. Hack Reactor will provide you a Career Service Mentor along with Career Services to guide you during your job search and provide support before and during your job search and it extends after you graduate from the bootcamp! Hack Reactor also introduced its new Job Search Program that any graduate can opt into but I did not opt into it so I cannot provide a review. My Career Service Mentor, Marah, is a game changer and she helped open my eyes on how the technical world works in term of job search. After you graduate, you will still meet up with your Career Service Mentor weekly then bi-weekly and you can always talk to them when you have questions!

TDLR: Hack Reactor will make sure you graduate with an all-star LinkedIn account, a job ready resume, a well revised cover letter, and other materials that will help you stand out during your job search. They also provide support before and after your graduation because they truly care about each and every one of their students.

(Bare in mind that these were my instructors for the LA campus)

Hilary Upton - Cohort Lead:  5/5 stars. She truly cares about every student and she makes sure to provide a safe space for all students to voice their concerns. We would have weekly retrospectives where Hilary would get our inputs/thoughts on how the week went and if we had any concerns/comments that we wanted to share. It made us feel heard and it showed how much Hack Reactor values its students and their well-being.

Julian Yuen - Program Lead:  5/5 stars. Julian might show up to the first day in a suit but don't worry, he's not scary at all. Whenever Julian taught/led a lecture, it would feel as if my brain was being cuddled and nursed to health with amazing, well explained information. Julian will refer to himself as "Uncle J" and that's what he really is, the kind loving uncle that cares about his nieces and nephews. I remember not feeling so great about myself, my skills, and my work and I remember some of my cohort mates feeling the same way. Some of us started to succumb to imposter syndrome and when I brought it up to Julian, he immediately made time out of his busy schedule to have a personal talk with us. Honestly, I wanted to give up at one point because I felt like I was not good enough but Julian was the reason why I stayed. Going back to why I only pursued a Computer Science degree but never finished it, the reason was that my professors (and the department head) instilled in the class and me that if we were not in the top 10% of the class, that we were not good enough to make it in the field. It was demoralizing after two years of hearing "No one is going to hire you if you don't get an A. Change your major." and I honestly felt like my efforts during college was all for naught. My professors never saw my passion, my hard work, my desperate attempts to stay awake in class because I stayed up all night to finish an impossible assignment, and they placed me as (and most of my class) "unworthy". During the bootcamp, I started to feel that same feeling of "unworthy" and Julian stopped me in my tracks when I humorously voiced my concerns. He shared his personal experiences with imposter syndrome, assured me that I was enough and that I deserved to be where I am. It wasn't a "one time thing" either because every single time Julian sent me an email, he would remind me to not let imposter syndrome get the best of me and he made sure to remind me that I am enough. That should go to show the dedication and care that the Hack Reactor staff has for its students and I am forever grateful for them and Julian. Thanks Uncle J and sorry for the cheesy description if you are reading this. You really changed my outlook on myself and it has kept me motivated throughout my job search and I know it will keep me motivated for the rest of my career.

Anthony Kim - Tech Mentor: 5/5 stars. Anthony runs the junior phase during Hack Reactor and he does his best to make sure that every student makes it to the senior phase. Whenever I struggled with the material, I would bombard Anthony with questions and he would always answer me with kindness and guidance. He made time to review code with me and to further elaborate on topics that I was not 100% sure of and I am forever grateful for his dedication. Anthony, if you are reading this, I'm sorry for asking so many questions and I don't think you're scary! (maybe a little)

SEIRS / Other instructors: 5/5 stars. The staff is well picked and they're all caring and attentive to you. They just want to see you succeed!

Hack Reactor not only strengthened my skills as a Software Engineer, but it also strengthened me as a person. From the staff to the curriculum to the job assistance, it is a well versed program that provides you will all of the tools you need to succeed in your professional career. "Is it worth it?" That is up to you to decide. I came in with an open mind and I took the program as more than just a classroom where you learn the fundamentals and ins&outs of a technology because Hack Reactor teaches you how to be a strong engineer that can take on any technology and that to me makes Hack Reactor worth it.
  • Elana  User Photo
    Elana • Job seeker • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I started prepping for Hack Reactor with the intention of joining the full-time, in-person immersive in San Francisco. COVID changed my plans along with everyone else's, and I delayed my start by three cohorts hoping for an in-person experience. I finally gave in and did the program remotely, and in the end I'm so glad it all worked out this way. The remote program completely exceeded all of my expectations, and Hack Reactor as an organization as really nailed down how to grow and foster community through Zoom and Slack. Each cohort is assigned a set of staff that includes technical mentors, psychological/social mentors, a career coach, and a team of recent grads selected for both personality traits and technical skills, and they do a fantastic job selecting all these people. There are tons of free resources you can use to teach yourself Javascript, so why pay so much for a program like this? Far and away, what made the experience for me was the people, and Hack Reactor absolutely nails hiring support staff who are the right combination of tough, caring, honest, and helpful to keep you on track while still letting you pull your own weight.

An example: On more than one occasion our tech mentor had almost preternatural patience with me when I was struggling with certain concepts and asked him for help understanding them. A lesser mortal would probably have broken down in a frustrated rage and just given me the final answer after enough time had passed, depriving me of the chance to make the connection for myself, but he gave me all the time I needed to get there without betraying even a hint of frustration. From the top down, the staff genuinely wants to help you learn, and help you learn how to learn, and they do it with just the right amount of assistance.

This program pushes you, and pushes hard. This was a formative program for me because of how stretched I felt, which was a new feeling. I am still in the job search process now, and while it can alternate between being demoralizing, terrifying, or just a plain slog to get through, I feel very well supported by both staff and the alumni community. There is an active community of alums who offer motivation, encouragement, tips, and sympathetic ears, and between direct conversation and getting to be spectator to some of their conversations, I feel like I'm constantly being buoyed by the system. The support during the job search and alumni community might alone be worth the price of the program.  Whenever I get an offer I know they'll have my back for the negotiation process as well. I'm really glad I found this community and I feel like I'm in good hands going forward.
  • Edmond Lee  User Photo
    Edmond Lee • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Unlike most applicants and my cohortmates, I decided to apply and attend the Hack Reactor program as someone who graduated with a computer engineering degree and had a bit of software developer experience. At the time it was two years after I graduated and my job search wasn't going well due to behavioral issues I had.

Hack Reactor not only allowed me to move up but importantly to move out of where I was. The staff in the San Francisco campus were very respectful of everyone's needs and contributed to a bootcamp culture and curriculum that is challenging, rigorous, yet also personalized for everyone through weekly one-on-ones with the cohort lead. When I attended the program there was another cohort that started at the same time and both cohorts had incredible diversity. There were people from all sorts of backgrounds including two PhDs and a few others with computer science backgrounds, yet all motivated as prospective software engineers.

Naturally, Hack Reactor bootcampers don't always know the solution to problems they're facing and seek out help. The program has a help desk that handles this pretty well. It's a ticketing queue that gets responded to by Software Engineering Immersive Residents (SEIRs), and they are guided in such a way that steers them towards the right direction and being encouraged to follow techniques such as timeboxing and web searching instead of being given an answer.

Before I found my first position after graduation, I decided to apply and become a SEIR near the end of the program, because I was very motivated to share my knowledge and to help my peers. Thus I worked part-time for Hack Reactor for three months to interview applicants to the program, to run the help desk, and to engage with students. The SEIRs make up much of the teaching ability in a cohort, but they don't necessarily have software engineering experience beyond the program. The tech mentors for each cohort may or may not have that as well, so I'm giving 4 stars for instructors because they could be improved on especially at a time when most or all of HR has gone remote.

Although the program explicitly does not guarantee any student a job after graduating, the resources you receive are well worth the cost of the program, whether paying up front or after the program. In the first six months after graduation you are assigned a career coach and given resources for a job seeking routine. More importantly you are given access to the alumni Slack group to be able to connect with thousands of other graduates. I am starting to truly appreciate the value of the alumni group a year after I started my position and am looking to make a second job search.