bloom-institute-of-technology-logo

Bloom Institute of Technology

Bloom Institute of Technology

Bloom Institute of Technology is an online coding bootcamp that trains people to become software engineers, data scientists, or back end developers at no up-front cost. The computer science academy offers full-time, 6-month programs for Web Development and Data Science, and a 9-month program for Backend Development, which is jointly developed by BloomTech and Amazon. Throughout the rigorous programs, students will demonstrate mastery of core front end and back end technologies as well as computer science fundamentals. Remote classes are live and interactive, and include one-on-one help, professional mentorship, opportunities to build real products, and frequent code reviews. The school also helps students find employment by providing interview preparation, portfolio review, effective resume writing tips, and salary negotiation practice. Students graduate with 900+ hours of hands-on technical experience for Web Development and Data Science, and with over 1,400 hours of hands-on coding experience for Backend Development.

BloomTech's mission is to "remove every possible barrier to a world-class education and become the best place in the world to launch a new career." To fulfill this mission, they offer a deferred tuition model, so students only pay a percentage of income after they accept a job, and only if they're making at least $50k per year. Other tuition options include tuition installments and discounted upfront tuition.

During the application process, prospective students must complete the precourse work or entrance tests as well as provide a high school diploma, GED certificate, or college transcript.

Bloom Institute of Technology was formerly known as Lambda School.

Recent Bloom Institute of Technology Reviews: Rating 4.26

all (118) reviews for Bloom Institute of Technology →

Recent Bloom Institute of Technology News

Read all (48) articles about Bloom Institute of Technology →
  • Backend Development

Networking, Java, Data Structures, Algorithms
    Start Date September 27, 2021
    Lambda School is launching a new 9-month full-time program to train backend engineers. Graduates will be prepared with the skills necessary to land entry-level software developer roles at companies of all sizes. Our curriculum is jointly developed by Lambda School and Amazon, and is based on critical knowledge, skills, and attributes required to succeed as a backend engineer. Each graduate of the new Enterprise Backend Development program will leave Lambda School with over 1,400 hours of hands-on coding experience and will have the practical skills required to succeed at companies like Amazon, without needing a 4-year CS degree. Admissions open July 2021, and our first cohort will launch in September 2021. Go to our site to learn more! Our curriculum covers the following topics and more: - Java Programming - Data Structures and Algorithms - Software Engineering - Testing - DynamoDB - Concurrency - Interview Preparation
    Deposit$0 down (No deposit, no down payment)
    Tuition PlansNo upfront payment required. Pay 17% of your income for 24 months (up to $30K) after getting a job making at least $50,000.
    Minimum Skill LevelJava fundamentals
    Prep WorkPre-course work is sent after acceptance to the program
    September 27, 2021 - Online
  • Data Science

Start Date August 30, 2021
    With 26% annual growth, Data Science continues to top emerging job lists year after year. Building on centuries of statistics and mathematics, Data Science uses computational techniques to help the most innovative companies in the world scale. From self-driving cars to dynamic business insights for Fortune 500 Companies, Data Science is changing the world. If you enjoy mathematics and love using data to make decisions, a career in data science could be for you. Lambda School's Data Science program is an intensive online training for a career in applied statistics and machine learning. Our curriculum covers the following topics and more: - Python - SQL - Data Visualization - Machine Learning - Linear Algebra - Databases - Statistics & Modeling - Natural Language Processing
    Deposit$0 down (No deposit, no down payment)
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Python and algebra
    Prep WorkPre-course work will be sent after acceptance to the program
    August 30, 2021 - Online Apply by August 13, 2021
    September 27, 2021 - Online Apply by September 10, 2021
    October 25, 2021 - Online Apply by October 08, 2021
  • Full Stack Web Development

Python, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, React.js, SQL, MongoDB, Algorithms, Data Structures
    Start Date August 30, 2021
    As a developer, you get to be the person that translates your passion into a functional website or web application to share with the world. A rapidly changing technological landscape means the industry continues to grow quickly, and is expected to grow by at least 13% in the next decade, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While many of those jobs are located in major tech hubs like San Francisco and New York City, the widespread need for developers across all industries means there’s likely a job waiting for you wherever you want to live. And if you’ve got persistence, grit, curiosity, and a brain that likes to solve puzzles, full stack web development could be the career for you. Lambda School's Full Stack Web Development is an immersive, online program to prepare you for a successful career in web development that teaches: - JavaScript - HTML - CSS - Node - React - Python - Redux - SQL
    Deposit$0 down (no deposit, no down payment).
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic JavaScript
    Prep WorkPre-course work is sent after acceptance to the program
    August 30, 2021 - Online Apply by August 13, 2021
    September 27, 2021 - Online Apply by September 10, 2021
  • Data Engineer
    - 11/22/2021
    Temsy Chen  User Photo
    Temsy Chen • Data Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My experience with BloomTech (FKA Lambda School) went above and beyond my expectations. I was switching careers and had no math or coding background. I didn't want to go into debt for a graduate degree, and a $15k 3-month boot camp seemed risky. I chose BloomTech because of their no-tuition-up-front ISA, and the 12-month part-time curriculum was the right amount of time for me (that program is on pause, currently only full-time is offered).

The school went through some changes throughout my year there. My cohort experienced a shortening of the curriculum from 18-months to 12-months, piloted a peer mentorship program, and after our cohort there would be layoffs of the teaching assistants and no more new part-time cohorts. These things shook up some students, but I felt the school was staying true to its goal: to help me get the best job with the best salary after graduation. They communicated every change they made, and explained how it benefitted the sustainability of the program, or would help us become better candidates. I did everything the school suggested: I showed up to class and office hours, turned in every assignment, networked and applied to jobs far earlier than I thought was appropriate (2 months into the program!).

I was surprised by the depth of education on career development. It went beyond working on your resume and interviews. I learned current work methodologies and tools, how to be a better teammate, how to work through conflicts, how to learn and persevere when faced with a challenge, how to know yourself better. It expanded the way I thought about work and life outside work. These classes, and the amazing but eventually canceled mentorship program, were part of BloomTech's efforts to create the kind of candidates that employers were asking for.

It paid off!! I got a job at Accenture six weeks after graduating, with a six-figure salary. Before I got the offer, BloomTech hired me as an office hours assistant (Support Hour Lead), and also got me into a month-long Fellowship as a Data Engineer for a startup, where BloomTech paid my salary, not the startup. The Careers department pushed job openings my way, counseled me if I was feeling down (mental health is big here), and helped me negotiate a 9% salary increase.

As a warning, the attrition rate of students in my cohort was extremely high. I don't fault BloomTech for this, I think it's the nature of the beast. I don't even fault the students who dropped out, they probably had the best intentions. I think BloomTech is the best option for a quality education without having to risk cash up front or go into debt, and the careers department is where the value of the ISA really kicks in.
  • Miguel Diaz  User Photo
    Miguel Diaz • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I first started, we had TL's with weekly stand-ups, code reviews, and a sense of a cohort team vibe. It was great, but I hear the new direction they are taking has gone away with those things, which is what really made my experience memorable.

They do have a good curriculum, and job assistance, along with preparation for tech interviews. My resume for sure would not be as good as it is today without their assistance. I still keep in touch with some of my cohort since we developed a great bond.
  • Kyle  User Photo
    Kyle • Web Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Like any school what you get out of it is what you put in. That being said, I was really happy with the instructors, curriculum, and support team. I was able to land a non-developer role in a tech company within only 3 months of starting the part-time course. Then when I graduated my company offered me a full-time dev role. I had always worked hourly jobs in the past and didn't have any history in tech except for a few self-taught studies that I had done online. I was in a really tough financial situation when I started the course so the computer I was using at first was less than ideal. It would take me hours to download course material and the likes. When my team lead found out he jumped on it and the school actually sent me a computer to use for the course.

Now that I have been working in the industry for a while and am two months away from paying off my ISA. I can honestly say Lambda School was one of the best investments of my time and resources that I have ever made. I am more than happy to pay back the ISA knowing that the school is helping so many other students just like me.

Before starting at Lambda school I was debating going to a 4-year college or doing a Bootcamp. At the end, I went with the Bootcamp because I heard someone say that the person who does the Bootcamp will probably be interviewing the 4-year degree student since they get in job faster. This is so true. In my role, I have been a part of hiring 3 new devs and it hasn't even been 4 years since I made the career change. Also, I have noticed that unfortunately, a lot of the applicants that we get who are computer science majors are not qualified for even an entry-level job because they haven't done any projects or practical coding.

If you are on the fence, like I was, about 4-year or Bootcamp. I would highly recommend Lambda School.
  • Ash Tilawat  User Photo
    Ash Tilawat • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I joined Lambda School after doing extensive research on bootcamps and listening to its founder on multiple podcasts. I had zero coding experience, and I had never coded anything before.  From day 1, I was dedicated to fully immersing myself in the course material, guided projects, and the huge network on Slack. I am an active learner, and I found Lambda to be challenging, yet super rewarding. I felt the more time I put into learning, connecting, and practicing the more I got out of my Lambda experience.

The instructors were by far the best teachers I've had in a long time. I often think back to my days in college, where professors would shrug me off and get annoyed if I asked the same question twice. Lambda School instructors were clear and open to explaining things in a different way. If I was struggling with something, I found quick relief by attending office hours.

I found the Lambda School slack channels to be a goldmine for networking, technical interviewing practice, and coding-related resources. Learning how to code is not the only thing required to get a job. Communicating with your peers, making teams for build weeks, introducing myself to alumni, and learning new ways reach out to hiring managers were all unforeseen benefits of this amazing private community.

After finishing my coursework, i was able to work on a real project for the Boys and Girls Club of Conejo Valley in Lambda School Labs. This became the first technical project on my resume, and it served as life-changing coding experience for me. During labs, I was able to "file the switch" from novice to developer. By throwing me into the deep end using a real nonprofit project, Lambda School actually made me believe that I could be a developer. I left labs, the last unit before graduation, with the self confidence to tackle even the biggest of projects.

I applied to over 150 positions after graduation before I landed my first job. I can confidently say that more than 85% of those applications were referred to me by my Lambda School Career Coach, sourced from a slack channel in the Lambda School community, or sent to me via LinkedIn by a Lambda School alumnus. Technical interviewing is hard, and it takes months to master both behavioral and data structures/algorithms questions. I found material, guidance, examples, past questions, and 1-1 practice through Lambda School.

Lambda School has changed my life. I can't stop raving about how rewarding all my hard work at Lambda School was. I believe a bootcamp should do more than just teach you how to code. Lambda School taught how to work well in a team, how to breakdown a problem, how to build a product, how to network, and how to interview. Plus, it taught how to code. I recommend Lambda School to everyone. If you're like me, when I was first starting in my bootcamp journey, you probably have a ton of questions. Feel free to reach out at ashtilawat23@gmail.com. I will do my best to answer all that I can!
  • Highly Recommended!
    - 10/18/2021
    Isaac Pak  User Photo
    Isaac Pak • Software Developer Verified via GitHub
    I started Lambdaschool at the beginning of 2021 full time.  I have had several years prior knowledge of web development through self study but I wanted help in finding work and also to fill in any gaps of knowledge.  I researched several schools prior and wanted to a school that passed my requirements.  The curriculum is everything I expected it to be and more.  I know what the core elements are for a web developer to have experience in and they teach all of it.  They have some excellent instructors who not only knew the material but they also do a good job in teaching it.  This kind of bootcamp is not for the light-hearted or for the undetermined person.  You will have to work, and work hard at Lambdaschool.  There are students who have completely no background in tech and graduated, but I really believe you'll have a better chance at making it in this field if you already did some pre-work on your own and have a year or more of study in the field.  In the end it's not the school that determines your success, it's YOU!  But a good quality school like Lambdaschool can help you along the way.

PROS
    • ISA - If a school doesn't offer this then they can't even compete IMHO
    • Computer Science Unit - You need this if you don't have a CS degree
    • Top notch curriculum
    • Job Finder Support

CONS
    • It's 100% Virtual - I'd prefer a real classroom setting, but because of Corona this is the next best thing
    • Computer Science was a little short.  I would have loved an extension here.  (side note: Lambda allows for any student to redo a unit at no cost)
    • I think a little more structure with Team settings could be improved.

• Kevin Stewart  User Photo
    Kevin Stewart • iOS Mobile Software Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I decided I wanted to make a career change I wasn't sure where to start. I found Lambda and was initially interested trying due to their ISA agreement. It helped me go through school without paying a dime until I had a job of at least $50,000. After enrolling, I was nervous on not having any experience at all and was afraid the learning curve would be too extreme. Fortunately, the instructors, TL's, and fellow students were more than amazing and always willing to help! Not only just to find the answer but to find out why that solution worked for a deeper understanding. After going through the iOS, Computer Science, and Labs curriculums I graduated in 1.5 years while attending part time. I immediately started with a start up company to keep up my skills with connections I made through the school. Working with a cross functional team and with my experience from Lambda with many builds throughout, gave me a competitive edge when applying for full time jobs! Five months later, I've just been hired as an iOS Mobile Software Dev and starting my new career! It's hard to believe that I've gotten to this point. I know I put in the work but I will say without Lambda's faculty and students I might now be where I am today. Thank you Lambda!!
  • Erica Ingram  User Photo
    Erica Ingram • software engineer I • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    No college degree, attended school from October 2019 to July 2020, first tech job started in October 2020, been there ever since.  I make six figures, and the school helped me negotiate an extra 20k onto my salary.  I had run a court transcription business for over a decade prior to that, still do a little bit on my off time, and so I hadn't looked for a job in over 15 years.  They helped me extensively with the job search.
    I liked the classes; they were pretty fast paced.  But while I was attending, I didn't just study what they told me to; I searched out job descriptions and studied what I thought would make me more valuable.  You really do get out what you put in here; it's not just handed to you.  Put yourself in uncomfortable situations, don't be afraid to make mistakes there, and soak in everything you can in terms of learning.  They aren't telling you to do things just because; they're telling you what they're telling you because it works.

At my current job, about half the stack is stuff I wasn't exposed to at all in school.  My employer is very happy with me, and I love my job.
  • Kenan Dolic  User Photo
    Kenan Dolic • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This bootcamp helped prepare me for real-world development in a way that college didn't. I would definitely recommend Lambda School to someone who is pursuing a career in development!
  • Melissa  User Photo
    Melissa • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    So I was part of the part time program.  I started in Jan 2020 and ended up moving to full time for the last Unit and thus finished Jan 2021.  There were a lot of changes near the end of my time as a student there.  Reading through the reviews you can clearly see this.  I was also a TL during my time there so felt the transition both as a student and a Team Lead during these changes.  I won't say I agreed or disagreed with the changes as I was not part of the process that made them.

Lambda always had our best interest in mind.  Do I think taking away the TL's was not the best idea?  Yes, I valued the time I had with my TL as well as my students when I was a TL, but the reasons I was given were also valid.  Would I have finished had I joined a year later?  I think I would have as I put my all into it and got my all out.  Changes aren't easy no matter what.  Some are good some are not.

I still communicate with students that I networked with during my time there,  I still have access to the training material and although it has yes changed  I do still reference it at times.  I can't speak much on the Job Assistance side as I got lucky and was hired on as a Web Developer Instructor over at anther Boot Camp during my last month of Lambda.  But I can tell you that what I learned there including all those changes have made me a better Instructor and Programmer.
  • Matty  User Photo
    Matty • Front-End Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was bartending for 6 years in NYC, but looking for a big change. Covid hit, and I felt pressure to make the best of my time off, and I was searching for an affordable path to web development. Asking everyone in my social network, I hit upon a friend of the family who had just landed a 90k job right out of a bootcamp. It was Lambda.

I was broke, on unemployment as the bars had all closed, but our buddy told me about Lambda's ISA program where you start with no money down, and pay them back through a percentage of your paycheck for 2 years. I did my due diligence. There are good reviews, and a couple of obvious hit pieces out there. Having worked in bars and restaurants I was familiar with that one star review, written by someone deflecting their own issues, and I can sniff em out. So, I signed up.

The school starts out with pretty basic stuff, but really takes off and maintains a solid steady pace. They push you with the curriculum, but there was hardly a day where I felt I couldn't handle it. I enjoyed having the 'flex' buffer they give you, where you can redo a unit (1 months worth) if you feel you didn't nail the material. I didn't need it, but some of my buddies did, and everyone I dealt with graduated eventually.

The biggest thing I got from Lambda, that you just can't get through things like Udemy or Youtube, and I'm guessing a lot of other bootcamps, was the team building and personality building that they do. Contrary to what I originally thought, most web development today is done in closely working teams. You may have experience working in teams, but adding the complexity of a git-flow and building software where all the parts must work in concert, and you have a complicated, and at first, clumsy process. At lambda we had many projects where we'd spend a week with a team working on these skills. A lot of their education is geared towards supporting these 'build weeks'. Plus, you get to make some pretty cool projects.

Besides learning HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Node.js, Express, testing, etc., we spent a unit learning computer science. This is the secret weapon that also teaches you to ace those dreaded coding tests. My CS professor at Lambda, I could easily see teaching at Cal Tech or something similar, corny math jokes and all.

The program wraps up with their LABS program. Here you spend about a month working on a real world project, through a 3rd party company working with Lambda. You have shareholder meetings, design and planning, and real criticism. It was a great way to get a job related, team oriented, resume worthy project under your belt.

Speaking of resumes... I think Lambda downplays their job placement program a bit. I know they can't legally promise anything, and its up to you to get hired, but their assistance was amazing! We dialed out the perfect resume. They plugged me into a system where I could get the most out of LinkedIn and other job boards. But on the side, they have all of these hiring partners. Big companies, small companies, but most importantly companies that want Lambda grads. There's posts in the Lambda chats almost daily about companies reaching out for new blood. There are automated job postings specifically for Lambda Students. I also had many DMs from counsellors about jobs they thought I'd be a good fit for.

One of those DMs led directly to me being hired! I get a 'hey are you interested in this?' .. 'heck yes!', They sent my resume over, I filled out the application, and I get a call from a charming recruiter the next week. I start in August. I couldn't be more thrilled! The job search might not be so smooth for everyone they say, but I'm here to tell you that mine was thanks to Lambda.
  • D'Artagnan von Pingel  User Photo
    D'Artagnan von Pingel • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     I started Lambda School in November 2020. This was right after they made the change to their Full Stack Web Development (FT) program from 9 months to 6 months.

This school is designed to help you succeed. They genuinely care about your career success, and about your learning. They throw many different resources out at you to use, and lots of 'safety nets' if you don't get a concept the first time around. All of that said, you are still very much in charge of your learning, and if you want to succeed, you really need to put in the time that they expect you to.

The full-time track is a FULL-TIME JOB! It should be treated as such if you want to succeed with Lambda School. Lambda school is very fast-paced and intense, but I've seen firsthand that people from very different career and personal backgrounds have found success with this program if they had put in the work.

I have personally found nothing but an insurmountable amount of support and pointers for success in this school. The projects you get involved in prepare you for greatness and equip you with real-world experience that you can speak on in interviews. A Bootcamp/trade school can never be perfect and teach you everything you will need to know in your career, but I'd say Lambda School does an incredible job getting you to the correct point to begin your career, not stopping short at all.
  • Full Stack Course
    - 6/25/2021
    Adonis  User Photo
    Adonis • Student Verified via GitHub
    I Did the Full-stack web-dev course with the Java backend option over Node. Being completely honest, your experience is really dependent on who your Team Lead is. Originally in my first two months I had a Team Lead that was kinda wack, he just gave me answers(as someone who became a Team Lead later on, that is definitely NOT what youre supposed to do but I guess Lambda cant control that) and I was having a hard time learning. After I flexed (where you opt in to redo a month). I got a new TL and my experience was pretty good after that.

There have been a lot of changes since I went through the program so its much different now, and I believe Java currently isnt an option anymore, but wow was the Java course bad. I went through it 3 times, twice as a student and once as a Team Lead. I was part of the first cohort of the Java program and it was just WAAAAAY too much to cram into 1 month of learning. No one was really learning, we were just copy/pasting. The pass rate was something like less than 40% the first time ( I flexed again). The second time around I understood it more and was able to pass having done it for 2 months now. Still, the second cohort probably had a pass rate of 50% and a lot was also copy/paste. I will note that it wasnt the instructors fault, the instructor was UNBELIEVABLE. For the rest of my life I will hold him in high regard and as one of the best teachers I've ever had. Lambda was just trying to cram way too much info into 1 month. For it to have worked, Java needed to be atleast 2 months, preferrably 3. The third time I went through I was very comfortable writing Java, and tried my absolute best to be a good Team Lead to the students I managed and gained some connections I'll have for life with most of my students. About 9/11 of them passed.

After that I went through the program fairly well, They changed the labs portion from 2 months to 1 month, which I thought was stupid as it allowed for gaining real-world experience without actually being in a real job. This part was fine and honestly it felt like labs way pretty easy to pass for me personally. I know others had a difficult time. (Others also didnt do Java three times so theres that). The computer science portion id say isnt bad. Its computer science so its really hard, probably the hardest portion of it all.

After graduating it took my 6 months to get a job, which happens to be the exact average it takes to get one in the field post graduation. The services post-grad are really like a "you get what you put in" kind of vibe. Originally I use any of them but as the search got longer I used them more and more and honestly could not that the career coaches enough. They did end up laying off a huge majority of them, but even after the lay off, the career coach I had helped me TREMENDOUSLY(I cannot stress this enough) with getting offers, salaray negotiation, and calming me down when things were crazy or I felt like I was never gonna get a job.

TLDR: I would do it again, you get out of it what you put into it. With the new changes they made I do think its probably worse than it was when I did it, but they're CONSTANTLY changing how things work so who knows what its like now. The career coach I had was AWESOME so post-graduation job assistance was great as long as I made an effort to communicate with them.