Find out which bootcamp raised $100M this May and the latest education trends coming out of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Plus, we dive into a new report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office about Online Program Managers (OPMs) and a study on 2U boot camp alumni outcomes. We’ll also tell you about new funding announced for training programs geared towards women and undergraduates and about the 5 new bootcamps we added to the Course Report directory in May.
Don’t miss our live bootcamp alumni panel on Wednesday, June 8th! We’ll be joined by 5 alumni from bootcamps like General Assembly, DigitalCrafts, Sabio, Springboard, and Coding Temple to answer the question: What I Wish I Knew Before a Coding Bootcamp. RSVP here!
Curious about what happened in April? Check out last month’s episode to hear our April coding bootcamp news roundup!
$118M IN CODING BOOTCAMP FUNDRAISES
- According to TechCrunch, Masterschool raised a $100 million seed funding round in May.
- Latin American bootcamp, Henry landed $10M in Series A funding.
- Decrypt announced that Encode Club raised $5M for Web3 developer training in a round led by Galaxy Digital and Lemniscap.
TechCrunch shared that MENA-based bootcamp, Manara raised $3M in pre-seed funding.
THE LATEST ON UNIVERSITY BOOTCAMPS
Higher Ed Dive says the biggest takeaway from a recent US Government Accountability Office (GAO) report on Online Program Managers (OPMs) is the recommendation that the US Department of Education have more oversight on colleges’ financial relationships with OPMs.
Phil on Ed Tech points out that the OPMs that the GAO report covers includes traditional OPMs like 2U, edX, Pearson, Wiley Academic Partnerships, Guild, and Coursera.
Inside Higher Ed points out that with this report, the GAO has taken a “moderate” stance on OPMs right now. Most of the oversight will be around revenue-sharing agreements between universities and OMPs.
Inside Higher Ed asked the CPO of prominent OPM, Noodle, about how the GAO suggestions might influence their decisions as a company.
Higher Ed Dive reports that Coursera is now offering its own training program, similar to an OPM.
Gallup published the findings from its Gallup-2U Boot Camp Graduates Study, which surveyed 3,824 US adults who graduated from 2U-powered boot camp programs between 2016 and 2021.
EdSurge explores flash sales and other marketing gimmicks at Coursera and Udemy.
A RECENT ISA CASE STUDY
Yahoo! News covered how an Income Share Agreement helped a recent Launch School bootcamp graduate make a career change with no regrets.
THE RISE OF UPSKILLING & CORPORATE TRAINING
Axios reports that the White House urges federal agencies to update their hiring practices and hire workers based on experience and skills.
- LinkedIn announced a partnership with Year Up to create a talent pipeline through mentorship.
Wall Street Journal took a closer look at if making a career change into cybersecurity is possible through a cybersecurity bootcamp.
Nucamp announced it is now offering corporate training in its new program, Nucamp for Business.
- In a Higher Ed Dive interview, Udemy’s Chief Learning Officer Melissa Daimler shared how Udemy is offering its own learning opportunities to Udemy staff.
- Progressive Insurance now offers an in-house IT Programmer Bootcamp to reskill select non-tech staff for tech roles.
DIVERSIFYING THE TECH PIPELINE
- The US Department of Labor created a $3.4M funding opportunity called the Women in Apprenticeship and Nontraditional Occupations grant program, which aims to attract more women to registered apprenticeship programs in cybersecurity, manufacturing, infrastructure, and healthcare.
- Break Through Tech, a free 18-month program offered to undergraduate students across New York, Boston, and Los Angeles, announced a $26M investment to increase the number of women in artificial intelligence.
NPR’s Marketplace focused on how the tech pipeline can be diversified by looking for experience over college degrees.
ZDNet highlighted how the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) are growing their tech talent through regional retraining programs, such as Tuwaiq Academy, Developer Academy in Riyadh, SE Factory, Coders HQ, and UAE's 2021 One Million Arab Coders initiative.
Rest of the World reports on how entrepreneurs, technologists, and coding bootcamps are pushing to have Spanish as the dominant language in coding in Latin America in order to support regional tech talent and businesses.
5 NEW BOOTCAMPS + 3 NEW COURSE OFFERINGS
We added 5 new bootcamps to the Course Report directory:
FAVORITE PIECES ON THE BLOG
Jess spoke with Celia Fryar, an expert Data Analyst and an instructor at General Assembly, about 3 careers that transition well into the data analytics field. Learn why musicians, teachers, and realtors have the right skills needed to transition into a data analytics role, plus how General Assembly’s Data Analytics course is equipping students from all backgrounds with the skills they need to land mid-level positions.