penn-boot-camps-logo

Penn Boot Camps

Philadelphia

Penn Boot Camps

Penn Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time programs in web development, and 24-week, part-time cybersecurity, data science, and financial technology (FinTech) programs in Philadelphia, Pennslyvania, and online. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git, with in-person and online options.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The data science curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript charting (D3.js, Leaflet.js), HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience, with in-person and online options.

The FinTech curriculum covers Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

Applicants do not need programming experience to enroll, but once admitted, all learners will complete a pre-course tutorial. Penn Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and individuals who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or looking to gain a new skillset.

Throughout the 12- or 24-week bootcamps, learners have access to portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and 1:1 career coaching. At the end of the program, learners receive a Certificate of Completion, showcasing their accomplishments to future employers and will also have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data science, or financial technology, or skills applicable to certifications in cybersecurity.

Penn Boot Camps are offered in collaboration with Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent Penn Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.77

all (53) reviews for Penn Boot Camps →

Recent Penn Boot Camps News

Read all (4) articles about Penn Boot Camps →
  • Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp, participants get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
  • Data Analysis and Visualization (Online) - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Learn data analysis wherever you are through an innovative format that blends engaging content to work through on your own schedule and live, interactive online classes led by expert instructors. The curriculum teaches the most relevant tools and technologies including programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript charting (D3.js, Leaflet.js), HTML/CSS, API interactions, databases, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, Git/GitHub, and more. Build a comprehensive portfolio of projects and earn a Certificate of Completion.
  • Data Analysis and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all learners will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Crypocurrency, SQL, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
    LocationPhiladelphia
    Get hands-on training and instruction in financial technology and analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your current schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, only three days a week, with convenient evening and weekend classes. Gain access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Crypocurrency, SQL, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Penn LPS Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development program. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Participants have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Participants receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position participants for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Penn LPS Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development program. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Participants have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Participants receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position participants for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Web Development (Online) Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Learn to code wherever you are. The full-stack, online curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Through hands-on projects and training, participants will complete the coding program in 24 weeks via live, instructor-led lessons. Individuals receive support from a variety of channels, so participants are never alone throughout their online coding boot camp journey. Penn LPS's online coding boot camp gives you the opportunity to “think like a developer.” In addition to learning many of the most in-demand languages and creating your own personal portfolio, you will also partake in an 8-week Agile Team Project that mimics a real-world environment. Enrollees are assigned a piece of the full project (division of tasks into short phases of work and frequent reassessment of adaptation of plans) and then finalize the project together with the assistance of an industry leader who has on average 5-7 years of experience as a software engineer. At the end of this online coding program, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from Penn LPS, helping you stand out to employers.
  • Oksana Miller  User Photo
    Oksana Miller • Student Verified via GitHub
    This Bootcamp has taught me a lot.  Without this Bootcamp, I would not have been able to push myself as hard as I did in learning new material. I am definitely going to recommend this course to others and I will make sure to practice and apply what I've learned in my future job.
    Sunday, Aug 02 2020
    Amazing, Oksana! We're thrilled you found the boot camp to be challenging but beneficial to your professional goals. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we commend all your hard work! All the best moving forward.
  • A fresh start!
    - 6/7/2020
    Tim Shaffer  User Photo
    Tim Shaffer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I expected this program to introduce a lot of concepts, programming languages, tools, and techniques but I did not expect the level of detail that would be covered as quickly as it was!  This program is very well planned and structured.  We did learn to jog before we sprinted, but we needed to keep running along to keep up!!
    I’ve learned so much that I ran out of room on LinkedIn!!  This program challenges you to step outside of your comfort zone and to be a part of something and not just watch it being done.  There were failures along the way, which made the successes that much more rewarding.
    One of the best parts of this program was learning together as a team!  I never felt alone in any of the classes or within anything I was developing.  It wasn’t just those we were working together with on one of the Projects, but the helpfulness of everyone in class activity breakouts as well as the Homework Help that allowed for some smaller zoom sessions to troubleshoot and learn even more; or simply just the communication through slack itself!  Working through issues, whether my own or someone else’s, was an excellent opportunity to learn.  Debugging offered perspectives and different thought processes into ways of accomplishing something that you don’t get on your own.
    Although I have known that I wanted to develop things using computer technologies since I was 13, the class has helped to reinvigorate my love of development.

Tuesday, Jun 09 2020
    Thank you, Tim! We're happy to hear you had a positive boot camp experience and were reinvigorated to pursue your passion for web development. Fostering a collaborative classroom environment as well as helping learners develop strong problem-solving and self-teaching abilities is crucial for us, so we're glad this truly resonated with you; hearing feedback like this makes all of our efforts worthwhile.

Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we truly appreciate your review! We're rooting you on in all your future coding endeavors.
  • Graduate
    - 5/19/2020
    Alyssa Cucunato  User Photo
    Alyssa Cucunato • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I came into this wanting a change in careers, I was no longer passionate in my current position and I felt I needed a change in my life path. So with very minimal coding experience (small amounts of html from when I was younger), I decided to take the plunge and it was the best decision I have ever made! Quincy was my instructor along with Dan every other Saturday. They, along with the AMAZING TA’s, had made my journey, although challenging, a little bit less frustrating and SO supportive. I will say the program can be exhausting and does move fairly quickly as there is a ton of material to cover in 24 weeks. However, in my opinion in order to be successful and really understand the material, I spent at least 20-25 hours outside of class doing activities, homework, or rewatching the lectures (it helped me so much in reinforcing the material learned in class that week). As long as you are prepared to make the commitment, I strongly suggest taking the plunge, I found my new passion in being creative with code. The support from my classmates along with the instructional staff and Josh would make me want to take this course all over again!
    Thursday, May 21 2020
     Way to go, Alyssa! We're thrilled you chose our program to make a significant career change and benefited from the support of our entire team. We also have to agree that Quincy, Dan, and Josh are all pretty amazing. Like you mentioned, the boot camp does require extensive hours both inside and outside of the classroom, so we commend all your hard work and dedication. Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Awesome!
    - 5/9/2020
    Michael Carbonara  User Photo
    Michael Carbonara • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came into this with literally no knowledge of the subject, just having computer service and gaming experience! I learned so much during the course and feel ready to join the workforce! The teachers and teacher assistants were top notch and I would definitely advise anyone to join this bootcamp! Having the UPenn name just adds it's own luster!
    Wednesday, May 13 2020
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Michael! We're happy to hear you learned so much throughout your boot camp journey and benefited from the support of our entire team. Congratulations on successfully completing the program! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Neha Nautiyal  User Photo
    Neha Nautiyal • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had zero coding experience before enrolling in this BootCamp. My husband thought I would be good at it and as a teacher (in my former life), I love to learn. Well, it turns out that this course changed my life for the best. Ed and Anthony were my instructors. Ed saw my potential and convinced me to pursue web development as a career. Well, he was right and I ended up getting a job as a developr at a large financial company a month before the program ended. I would not be as successful as I was without the support of my classmates, TAs, resources from Career Services, and, obviously, my instructors. It was an intense 24 weeks where I focused all my free-time in coding activities, homework, articles, exercises, and more, but it was well-worth it. I am beyond happy about this course. I would do it all over again too.

Monday, Jul 22 2019
    Thanks so much, Neha! We're thrilled you found the program to be invaluable and felt supported not only by our entire boot camp team but by your classmates as well—we also think Ed and Anthony are amazing. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we're rooting you on as you move forward!
  • Swaroop Kondreddy  User Photo
    Swaroop Kondreddy • Student Verified via GitHub

I was very skeptical about joining the bootcamp but joining Penn LPS coding bootcamp turned out to be a good decision. I am a seasoned Java programmer and this bootcamp gave me the chops to become a full stack developer. The curriculum was well designed keeping the lack of programming experience in students. The program encouraged me to go and explore new technologies and methodologies and better programming standards in the fast changing full stack world. It has given me the chops to coordinate with people from different backgrounds and perspectives. Our Instructor and the TA's are very knowledgeable and are real world working professionals. They did not hesitate to help us out at any time not just during the office hours. I haven't used job assistance program offered but from what I have heard from my fellow cohorts, the professional service people are very thorough in getting the students prepared with their material and prepare them for the real world.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Thanks so much, Swaroop! We're glad our full-stack curriculum is helping you further develop your existing web development skills and challenging you to continue exploring new technologies. We applaud all the hard work you have put in thus far and are looking forward to providing you with one-on-one professional development!
  • Anh Lu  User Photo
    Anh Lu • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prior to attending the program, I didn't have much experience with coding. And now, I'm so proud to introduce myself as a Software Engineer to people, thanks to this 24-week program. It was one of the most challenging courses I've ever taken but also the most rewarding experience I've done. With the assistance and dedication of the instructional staff and Bernard (the Student Success Manager), I know a lot of students in my cohort have also landed their dream jobs in Tech.

You will learn marketable and trending technologies like JS, node, both SQL (MySQL) & NoSQL (MongoDB), and React.js. I would advise you to prepare to put in as much time as you could to work on the homework, but also research and learn more about the materials taught in class from outside resources.

I'm sure there are many good & knowledgable teachers in the program, but if you ask me whose class you should sign up for, I'd say "Ed, Anthony, or Quincy". They are all very knowledgable, dedicated, and caring for their students. You'll be in good hands.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Way to go, Anh! We're thrilled you found our boot camp to be such a rewarding experience — we also think Ed, Anthony, Quincy, and Bernard are fantastic. Like you mentioned, prospective learners should put in additional time outside of class to reviewing and mastering the course material. Congratulations on finishing the program and thank you for your review! We wish you continued success on your new career path.
  • Penn Course
    - 2/21/2019
    Nick Paridon  User Photo
    Nick Paridon • Assoc Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The instructor was an industry professional with 20+ years of experience who managed large dev teams at an enterprise scale. I've taken other courses where the people teaching you are the ones who have graduated from the course only a couple weeks before you started. Not the case here.

Given his experience, our instructor was able to get his points across and elaborate on more of the why/how behind things that other instructors couldn't. He was able to paint the bigger picture which was super helpful. I think in programming especially you end up in scenarios where you can't see the forest for the trees. which didn't happen here.

The Penn course curriculum was also great. They were teaching full-stack Javascript which made going from frontend to backend much easier. The only downsides I see there is that Node.js is still fairly new, and isn't super widely adopted. You also don't touch on a lot of the concepts that many of the backend languages share like type-safety. However, since you spend less time learning a second language you get to do more, and ultimately I think you're better off. You can always learn a second language pretty easily after learning a first.

The other thing that was nice was the schedule. A lot of courses/bootcamps involve fulltime class work (which I don't think you really need anyway), but since the course was at night you could keep working while you took the class. I ended up getting a dev job (not a Javascript job) about a month after the course finished, but it was nice knowing that you didn't have to gamble everything in order to learn some new skills.

The job search is really on you though. They have a mixer type thing at the end, but it was pretty much just other students that showed up. I doubt that anyone got any real leads from that.

All-in-all I thought it was great. I would tell others to really make sure that this is something that you're interested in first though. Take some free online courses first and see if you enjoy it and can teach yourself things. You're definitely not going to be an expert by the time the course is done, but it's a good way to get you started. Ideally, I would go into this with as much background knowledge as possible so you can hit the ground running. Starting from zero would be a bad idea.

Friday, Mar 01 2019
    Thank you for your review, Nick! We're glad you enjoyed the part-time schedule and found our instructor to be knowledgable. Like you mentioned, our professional development is built on the principle of empowerment. While we do not secure direct employment for participants, we empower them the best we can with the necessary tools and support for entering the job market. We understand you would have preferred more networking opportunities and appreciate your input as we continuously work to improve our career services curriculum. Congratulations on completing the course, we wish you all the best as you move forward!

• Valerie  User Photo
    Valerie • Speech-Language Pathologist • Student Verified via GitHub

I am a current student in the Fall/Winter 2018-19 cohort with Penn LPS Coding Bootcamp (run by Trilogy Education Services). I began looking for a coding bootcamp after my sister completed ZipCode in Wilmington, DE and loved it. I currently work as a Speech-Language Pathologist and am looking for a total career change. My current profession has left me so stressed and burned out. I've always enjoyed technology and take to it pretty easily. The problem for me was that I wasn't able to quit my job and go back to school full-time - even just for 3 months like most bootcamps require.

I loved that Penn offered a part-time program with evening classes. There were 2 options: Tue/Thur or Mon/Wed evenings. Both cohorts meet together on Saturdays. I was able to change my work schedule so that I could attend classes Tue/Thur evenings.

In contrast to Penn, ZipCode Wilmington offers to cover your tuition (minus a deposit) if you get placed with one of their partners at the end of the program (not guaranteed). Penn does not offer this. However, the price of the bootcamp seemed comparable to others in the area. The billing is flexible - which is great - and they offer a couple different financing options. Overall, I'd say I'm very satisfied with the value of the program.

Penn LPS's strength lies in its academic support and network. You will have TA's and instructors who work in the local industry and really care about your growth and success. Many of them have been through the same program you are going through. You will have opportunities to meet people from a variety of industries and backgrounds.

The class itself is very mixed: all ages, all experience levels, all walks of life. You won't feel isolated, alone, or weird. I myself had some experience with HTML and coding from many years ago. There are some in my cohort who came in with much more experience than me and others who had none. The instructors do a wonderful job of making sure they assess everyone's comfort level and understanding as you go. Your in-class and homework assignments offer different levels of challenge: typically a basic option, a challenge option, and a more advanced option. So no matter where you are in your abilities, you will feel like you're being challenged, learning something new, and yet able to keep up.

As with any young program, there have been some growing pains - but they've all been understandable and Penn has dealt with them graciously. My only gripe about the program would be Career Services. It seems to be a mostly "hands-off", impersonal part of the program. If you want career "help" from them, there will be Milestones you need to meet and submit materials for. They said they would provide feedback for these materials. However, I didn't find them very helpful or timely. And the people providing the feedback have never met me personally. They send blast emails with advice and guidance. There are, however, ongoing free workshops and events like interview practice that you are able to attend. My issue is that many of them occur on Tue/Thur evenings - which is when my class meets. So that is one area where I feel they could definitely improve.

For me - someone who has 10 years of work experience, has gone on countless interviews, created numerous resumes, been involved in interviewing job candidates, and served in leadership roles - I don't feel like this has ruined the experience and value of the program. I feel pretty confident in my own job-search skills. However, I could see how for someone much more green and inexperienced, career services may be something you highly value in a program.

With regards to the actual curriculum itself, the staff say that it changes based on local and national industry trends. My cohort in particular has focused on the MERN stack (Mongo DB, Express, React, Node). It is very Javascript heavy. You will not be learning Java, Python, etc. - which may be a disappointment to some. However, I agree with the instructors that one of the biggest things you learn from any coding bootcamp is "how to learn" - specifically how to learn programming/coding languages. I'd personally prefer a bootcamp (like Penn) that has more of a focus - where I can really spend time understanding some tools, languages, and frameworks - rather than spreading myself too thin. Not to say that other available bootcamps don't have focus, but, for me...this was a great experience overall.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    We appreciate you sharing your journey, Valerie! Thank you for choosing our program to transition into coding. We're happy to hear you're enjoying the curriculum and benefiting from our academic support. We understand you would have preferred a more personal and hands-on approach when it comes to our professional development. Previous students with significant professional experience have found 1:1 coaching with their Career Director, starting right before the course completion, to be very helpful. We're frequently looking to improve our career services assistance, both for beginners as well as for more experienced individuals in the field, so we value input like yours. We're rooting you on as you continue towards completing the course and wish you continued success in all your goals!

• Yoonhee kim  User Photo
    Yoonhee kim • Student Verified via GitHub

I worked as data analyst, so I knew a few languages. I thought that I would learn all languages in curriculum slightly. But, after my class started, I realized I am learning more and deeper than what i expected before.

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Thank for your review, Yoonhee! It's great to hear the curriculum has exceeded your expectations. All the best as you continue working towards completing the course.
    - 2/20/2019
    Ronald Glover  User Photo
    Ronald Glover • Student Verified via GitHub

So far i am enjoying the experience I’m have at this bootcamp.  Everyone genuinely want to help you in whatever it is your trying to do after graduating or any random project your trying to do for your portfolio or even for outside clients.  The course is hard at times if you have a full time job to balance but with the flex option Penn Bootcamp have its not impossible anymore to work full time and also go to a bootcamp.  I'm not currently using any of the job assistance options for the program but i hear good things from the other students.  I’m constantly struggling between wondering is it better to spend more time getting better at the topics of the class or is it better to spend most of my time applying and trying to prep for getting a job.  My free time is very limited so I still haven’t figured this out yet.  Currently I am halfway through the program.

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Thank you for sharing your current experience, Ronald! Our entire team is passionate about helping learners succeed, so we're thrilled this has resonated with you. We applaud all your dedication thus far and look forward to providing you continued support as you work towards finishing the program!
  • Myk D  User Photo
    Myk D • Student Verified via GitHub

Simply put this is one of the best investments you can make in yourself. The course teaches you real skills that employers want and need. Already, I've had employers reaching out to me to set up interviews, and I'm just at the halfway point in the course.

It's a ton of work, but it's an investment that has been more than worth the money I've spent on the course.

The instructors are excellent and  the curriculum gives you the skills that are in demand right now.

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Thank you, Myk! Congratulations on reaching the midway point of the course. We're thrilled to hear you are happy with the curriculum and instructional support. Keep on studying, we can't wait for you to successfully finish out the program!