penn-boot-camps-logo

Penn Boot Camps

Philadelphia

Penn Boot Camps

Penn Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time programs in web development, and a 24-week, part-time cybersecurity program in Philadelphia, Pennslyvania. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Database Theory, MongoDB, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. The cybersecurity curriculum provides hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

Applicants do not need programming experience to enroll, but once admitted, all learners will complete a pre-course tutorial. Penn Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or looking to gain a new skillset.

Throughout the 12- or 24-week bootcamps, learners have access to portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. At the end of the program, learners receive a Certificate of Completion, showcasing their accomplishments to future employers and will also have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, or skills applicable to certifications in cybersecurity.

Penn Boot Camps are offered in collaboration with Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent Penn Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.77

all (49) reviews for Penn Boot Camps →

Recent Penn Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp, participants get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
  • Full-Stack Flex - Full-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Penn LPS Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development program. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Participants have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Participants receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position participants for success in the field.
  • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Penn LPS Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development program. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Participants have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Participants receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position participants for success in the field.
  • Full-Stack Web Development (Online) Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Learn to code wherever you are. The full-stack, online curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Through hands-on projects and training, participants will complete the coding program in 24 weeks via live, instructor-led lessons. Individuals receive support from a variety of channels, so participants are never alone throughout their online coding boot camp journey. Penn LPS's online coding boot camp gives you the opportunity to “think like a developer.” In addition to learning many of the most in-demand languages and creating your own personal portfolio, you will also partake in an 8-week Agile Team Project that mimics a real-world environment. Enrollees are assigned a piece of the full project (division of tasks into short phases of work and frequent reassessment of adaptation of plans) and then finalize the project together with the assistance of an industry leader who has on average 5-7 years of experience as a software engineer. At the end of this online coding program, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from Penn LPS, helping you stand out to employers.

• Neha Nautiyal  User Photo
    Neha Nautiyal • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had zero coding experience before enrolling in this BootCamp. My husband thought I would be good at it and as a teacher (in my former life), I love to learn. Well, it turns out that this course changed my life for the best. Ed and Anthony were my instructors. Ed saw my potential and convinced me to pursue web development as a career. Well, he was right and I ended up getting a job as a developr at a large financial company a month before the program ended. I would not be as successful as I was without the support of my classmates, TAs, resources from Career Services, and, obviously, my instructors. It was an intense 24 weeks where I focused all my free-time in coding activities, homework, articles, exercises, and more, but it was well-worth it. I am beyond happy about this course. I would do it all over again too.

Monday, Jul 22 2019
    Thanks so much, Neha! We're thrilled you found the program to be invaluable and felt supported not only by our entire boot camp team but by your classmates as well—we also think Ed and Anthony are amazing. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we're rooting you on as you move forward!
  • Swaroop Kondreddy  User Photo
    Swaroop Kondreddy • Student Verified via GitHub

I was very skeptical about joining the bootcamp but joining Penn LPS coding bootcamp turned out to be a good decision. I am a seasoned Java programmer and this bootcamp gave me the chops to become a full stack developer. The curriculum was well designed keeping the lack of programming experience in students. The program encouraged me to go and explore new technologies and methodologies and better programming standards in the fast changing full stack world. It has given me the chops to coordinate with people from different backgrounds and perspectives. Our Instructor and the TA's are very knowledgeable and are real world working professionals. They did not hesitate to help us out at any time not just during the office hours. I haven't used job assistance program offered but from what I have heard from my fellow cohorts, the professional service people are very thorough in getting the students prepared with their material and prepare them for the real world.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Thanks so much, Swaroop! We're glad our full-stack curriculum is helping you further develop your existing web development skills and challenging you to continue exploring new technologies. We applaud all the hard work you have put in thus far and are looking forward to providing you with one-on-one professional development!
  • Anh Lu  User Photo
    Anh Lu • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prior to attending the program, I didn't have much experience with coding. And now, I'm so proud to introduce myself as a Software Engineer to people, thanks to this 24-week program. It was one of the most challenging courses I've ever taken but also the most rewarding experience I've done. With the assistance and dedication of the instructional staff and Bernard (the Student Success Manager), I know a lot of students in my cohort have also landed their dream jobs in Tech.

You will learn marketable and trending technologies like JS, node, both SQL (MySQL) & NoSQL (MongoDB), and React.js. I would advise you to prepare to put in as much time as you could to work on the homework, but also research and learn more about the materials taught in class from outside resources.

I'm sure there are many good & knowledgable teachers in the program, but if you ask me whose class you should sign up for, I'd say "Ed, Anthony, or Quincy". They are all very knowledgable, dedicated, and caring for their students. You'll be in good hands.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Way to go, Anh! We're thrilled you found our boot camp to be such a rewarding experience — we also think Ed, Anthony, Quincy, and Bernard are fantastic. Like you mentioned, prospective learners should put in additional time outside of class to reviewing and mastering the course material. Congratulations on finishing the program and thank you for your review! We wish you continued success on your new career path.
  • Penn Course
    - 2/21/2019
    Nick Paridon  User Photo
    Nick Paridon • Assoc Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The instructor was an industry professional with 20+ years of experience who managed large dev teams at an enterprise scale. I've taken other courses where the people teaching you are the ones who have graduated from the course only a couple weeks before you started. Not the case here.

Given his experience, our instructor was able to get his points across and elaborate on more of the why/how behind things that other instructors couldn't. He was able to paint the bigger picture which was super helpful. I think in programming especially you end up in scenarios where you can't see the forest for the trees. which didn't happen here.

The Penn course curriculum was also great. They were teaching full-stack Javascript which made going from frontend to backend much easier. The only downsides I see there is that Node.js is still fairly new, and isn't super widely adopted. You also don't touch on a lot of the concepts that many of the backend languages share like type-safety. However, since you spend less time learning a second language you get to do more, and ultimately I think you're better off. You can always learn a second language pretty easily after learning a first.

The other thing that was nice was the schedule. A lot of courses/bootcamps involve fulltime class work (which I don't think you really need anyway), but since the course was at night you could keep working while you took the class. I ended up getting a dev job (not a Javascript job) about a month after the course finished, but it was nice knowing that you didn't have to gamble everything in order to learn some new skills.

The job search is really on you though. They have a mixer type thing at the end, but it was pretty much just other students that showed up. I doubt that anyone got any real leads from that.

All-in-all I thought it was great. I would tell others to really make sure that this is something that you're interested in first though. Take some free online courses first and see if you enjoy it and can teach yourself things. You're definitely not going to be an expert by the time the course is done, but it's a good way to get you started. Ideally, I would go into this with as much background knowledge as possible so you can hit the ground running. Starting from zero would be a bad idea.

Friday, Mar 01 2019
    Thank you for your review, Nick! We're glad you enjoyed the part-time schedule and found our instructor to be knowledgable. Like you mentioned, our professional development is built on the principle of empowerment. While we do not secure direct employment for participants, we empower them the best we can with the necessary tools and support for entering the job market. We understand you would have preferred more networking opportunities and appreciate your input as we continuously work to improve our career services curriculum. Congratulations on completing the course, we wish you all the best as you move forward!

• Valerie  User Photo
    Valerie • Speech-Language Pathologist • Student Verified via GitHub

I am a current student in the Fall/Winter 2018-19 cohort with Penn LPS Coding Bootcamp (run by Trilogy Education Services). I began looking for a coding bootcamp after my sister completed ZipCode in Wilmington, DE and loved it. I currently work as a Speech-Language Pathologist and am looking for a total career change. My current profession has left me so stressed and burned out. I've always enjoyed technology and take to it pretty easily. The problem for me was that I wasn't able to quit my job and go back to school full-time - even just for 3 months like most bootcamps require.

I loved that Penn offered a part-time program with evening classes. There were 2 options: Tue/Thur or Mon/Wed evenings. Both cohorts meet together on Saturdays. I was able to change my work schedule so that I could attend classes Tue/Thur evenings.

In contrast to Penn, ZipCode Wilmington offers to cover your tuition (minus a deposit) if you get placed with one of their partners at the end of the program (not guaranteed). Penn does not offer this. However, the price of the bootcamp seemed comparable to others in the area. The billing is flexible - which is great - and they offer a couple different financing options. Overall, I'd say I'm very satisfied with the value of the program.

Penn LPS's strength lies in its academic support and network. You will have TA's and instructors who work in the local industry and really care about your growth and success. Many of them have been through the same program you are going through. You will have opportunities to meet people from a variety of industries and backgrounds.

The class itself is very mixed: all ages, all experience levels, all walks of life. You won't feel isolated, alone, or weird. I myself had some experience with HTML and coding from many years ago. There are some in my cohort who came in with much more experience than me and others who had none. The instructors do a wonderful job of making sure they assess everyone's comfort level and understanding as you go. Your in-class and homework assignments offer different levels of challenge: typically a basic option, a challenge option, and a more advanced option. So no matter where you are in your abilities, you will feel like you're being challenged, learning something new, and yet able to keep up.

As with any young program, there have been some growing pains - but they've all been understandable and Penn has dealt with them graciously. My only gripe about the program would be Career Services. It seems to be a mostly "hands-off", impersonal part of the program. If you want career "help" from them, there will be Milestones you need to meet and submit materials for. They said they would provide feedback for these materials. However, I didn't find them very helpful or timely. And the people providing the feedback have never met me personally. They send blast emails with advice and guidance. There are, however, ongoing free workshops and events like interview practice that you are able to attend. My issue is that many of them occur on Tue/Thur evenings - which is when my class meets. So that is one area where I feel they could definitely improve.

For me - someone who has 10 years of work experience, has gone on countless interviews, created numerous resumes, been involved in interviewing job candidates, and served in leadership roles - I don't feel like this has ruined the experience and value of the program. I feel pretty confident in my own job-search skills. However, I could see how for someone much more green and inexperienced, career services may be something you highly value in a program.

With regards to the actual curriculum itself, the staff say that it changes based on local and national industry trends. My cohort in particular has focused on the MERN stack (Mongo DB, Express, React, Node). It is very Javascript heavy. You will not be learning Java, Python, etc. - which may be a disappointment to some. However, I agree with the instructors that one of the biggest things you learn from any coding bootcamp is "how to learn" - specifically how to learn programming/coding languages. I'd personally prefer a bootcamp (like Penn) that has more of a focus - where I can really spend time understanding some tools, languages, and frameworks - rather than spreading myself too thin. Not to say that other available bootcamps don't have focus, but, for me...this was a great experience overall.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    We appreciate you sharing your journey, Valerie! Thank you for choosing our program to transition into coding. We're happy to hear you're enjoying the curriculum and benefiting from our academic support. We understand you would have preferred a more personal and hands-on approach when it comes to our professional development. Previous students with significant professional experience have found 1:1 coaching with their Career Director, starting right before the course completion, to be very helpful. We're frequently looking to improve our career services assistance, both for beginners as well as for more experienced individuals in the field, so we value input like yours. We're rooting you on as you continue towards completing the course and wish you continued success in all your goals!

• Yoonhee kim  User Photo
    Yoonhee kim • Student Verified via GitHub

I worked as data analyst, so I knew a few languages. I thought that I would learn all languages in curriculum slightly. But, after my class started, I realized I am learning more and deeper than what i expected before.

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Thank for your review, Yoonhee! It's great to hear the curriculum has exceeded your expectations. All the best as you continue working towards completing the course.
    - 2/20/2019
    Ronald Glover  User Photo
    Ronald Glover • Student Verified via GitHub

So far i am enjoying the experience I’m have at this bootcamp.  Everyone genuinely want to help you in whatever it is your trying to do after graduating or any random project your trying to do for your portfolio or even for outside clients.  The course is hard at times if you have a full time job to balance but with the flex option Penn Bootcamp have its not impossible anymore to work full time and also go to a bootcamp.  I'm not currently using any of the job assistance options for the program but i hear good things from the other students.  I’m constantly struggling between wondering is it better to spend more time getting better at the topics of the class or is it better to spend most of my time applying and trying to prep for getting a job.  My free time is very limited so I still haven’t figured this out yet.  Currently I am halfway through the program.

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Thank you for sharing your current experience, Ronald! Our entire team is passionate about helping learners succeed, so we're thrilled this has resonated with you. We applaud all your dedication thus far and look forward to providing you continued support as you work towards finishing the program!
  • Myk D  User Photo
    Myk D • Student Verified via GitHub

Simply put this is one of the best investments you can make in yourself. The course teaches you real skills that employers want and need. Already, I've had employers reaching out to me to set up interviews, and I'm just at the halfway point in the course.

It's a ton of work, but it's an investment that has been more than worth the money I've spent on the course.

The instructors are excellent and  the curriculum gives you the skills that are in demand right now.

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Thank you, Myk! Congratulations on reaching the midway point of the course. We're thrilled to hear you are happy with the curriculum and instructional support. Keep on studying, we can't wait for you to successfully finish out the program!
  • Preston Carey  User Photo
    Preston Carey • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Bottom line, I feel very fortunate to have made the decision to join the Penn LPS Bootcamp. The topics covered in this course, and the activities and homeworks that we go through in order to learn them are many and in-depth, and I won't deny feeling unsure if I was really getting the hang of it in the beginning.

With that said, the resources provided by the program-- a highly qualified teacher along with four dedicated TAs for each cohort along with free personalized tutoring sessions every week--  along with the attitude of students from various backgrounds with a genuine desire to learn a new field, and the experience of being in a classroom going through each step of every new language and concept in detail, convinced me that this was, at the very least, a solid introduction to a quickly developing and exciting field.

As a student currently enrolled in the course I have admittedly not taken much advantage of the career services aspect, which is optional, and my sense is that you get back as much as you put in.

You will need to put in between 10-20 hours outside of class per week to complete the homeworks, which are designed to go over the material covered in that week of class, and in the process of trying to complete them you get a chance to really put what you have learned to work.

Overall, the experience is definitely worthwhile, both for the structure it gives you in learning a lot of what I understand to be key concepts in web development (HTML, CSS, Javascript, JQuery, Node, SQL, etc.) as well as the support from faculty and staff if you seek it out.

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Way to go, Preston! We're thrilled you're enjoying the in-person classroom experience and are utilizing all the boot camp's resources. We appreciate your advice for prospective learners — you will need to put in extensive time outside of the classroom to master the material. We applaud all your hard work thus far and are rooting you on as you move forward to complete the course!
  • Lily S.  User Photo
    Lily S. • Acquisitions Assistant • Student Verified via GitHub

Have you ever quietly thought to yourself, “I can do more”?  This thought led me to where you are right now, scouring reviews for answers to that omnipresent question—is [a coding boot camp] worth it?  I started this program on little more than a hunch, a lot of faith, and ZERO coding experience.  Fourteen weeks ago, I didn’t know how to execute a callback in javaScript, or clone a git repository using the command line in my computer’s terminal.  Fourteen weeks ago, I would have told you, “That’s not possible.”  I’m here to tell you that 14 weeks later, it is possible, because this curriculum works—the pedagogy is solid and the academic support is outstanding.  Trilogy wants you to succeed, but the key is your motivation.

Think about your intention before joining a coding boot camp.  You will need this during those times when you want to give up and when you doubt yourself.  Mine was stated on the outset—“I can do more.”  I needed to prove to myself that I could do it.  That meant being ruthless with how I allocated my time.  Social life? Gone.  Free time? Gone.  If you are working full-time, which I am, that means you must to allot 10 hours a week in-class, including Saturdays (say sayonara to your weekends for the next 6 months), plus 15-20+ hours minimum outside of class.  You’re probably thinking, “That’s not possible.”  I’m here to tell you that it is possible, because I am living it.

This program teaches you how to learn these languages, but that doesn’t mean you will understand them right away.  The accelerated pace means you will have to fill in the gaps yourself.  I did this through tutoring, forming study groups, watching videos, etc.  Just keep showing up and be patient with yourself.  Understanding is delayed when you learn at lightning speed.  I’m here to tell you that you can learn something even when you don’t understand it.  Nothing is impossible.

Is this particular program worthwhile?   YES.

Is a coding boot camp worth it?  You will have to answer that for yourself.

Wednesday, Feb 20 2019
    Amazing, Lily! We're thrilled you're learning so much and are enjoying the curriculum. We appreciate the helpful feedback you provided for prospective students and completely agree — nothing is impossible. Keep up the great work, we can't wait to see you successfully complete the program!
  • Solid ROI
    - 2/19/2019
    Rainer Floeter  User Photo
    Rainer Floeter • Data/Business Analyst • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am in the part-time full-stack program at Penn/Trilogy and graduate in ~1.5 months.  Thus far I think its been worth it and can be a valuable asset if you want a career in tech. The MERN stack is surely in demand but outside of that marketing yourself as someone capable of diciplining yourself to learn such a large volume of information in webdev can be a great way to show what you are capable of. I have a lot of experience on the business side as a business/data analyst at JPM and have been able to show the SE's I work with on a daily basis my ability to learn compex code in a short period time. The plan is to roll-over to the SE side of the fence and this program has been a great tool to help me get there.

To those wanting to apply I recommend that they constantly practice javascript outside of the classroom (specifically for the MERN stack). The better you can master JavaScript whether it be through Edabit, Leetcode, etc the more you'll be able to grasp as you start using more and more javascript technologies. If I am not doing homework/review my time is spent doing practice problems.

If you are in a place where you can afford to take a leap and prefer the in-person learning environment this is a solid program with qualified instructors, just know that you will not have any downtime for 6 months. Outside of the 10 hours in the classroom I am behind the computer 20-30 hours a week doing homework and reviewing old topics (the review is often embedded into the assignment which is great).  This is a great foundation but note that it is just that - a foundation.  Coding does not stop upon graduation and the diligence you gained needs to be harnessed when you start building upon the blocks that this bootcamp gave.

Monday, Mar 04 2019
    Thank you, Rainer! We're happy to hear you're enjoying the program and have put in so much hard work to master the curriculum. Great advice for prospective learners — these are great tips to share with others. We're looking forward to you completing the course in a few weeks and wish you all the best as you move forward!
  • Shelby Reyes  User Photo
    Shelby Reyes Verified via GitHub

I am a current student, slated to finish the bootcamp in May 2019. I have a BA in History and spent the past 10 years as an office assistant, and I decided I needed a complete 180 career change. I came into the program knowing a basic amount of HTML and CSS, and some basic concepts of programming from taking Visual Basic and Java classes in high school, 11 years ago.

Many of my developer friends told me that all of this information is available online for free, so I should just do that instead of spending all this money on a course. However, the bootcamp provides so much more than just the information. For one, the academic support is a huge benefit to taking this in-person. Not only do you have the support of the instructor, teacher assistants, and career coaches, but you also have access to one-on-one tutoring as often as you like and a whole network of classmates going through the same thing as you.

Aside from the academic support, the regularly scheduled assignments and projects keep you on track, whereas at-your-own-pace online courses wouldn't provide that rigorous structure. You attend classes three days per week. The in-person classes hold me to a higher standard than online courses would. This is one of the main reasons I chose an in-person bootcamp.

There are three group project assignments, which prepare you for the real world of web development. The individual assignments are great, but knowing how to develop on a team is a very important skill in this field.

After spending 5 months in the bootcamp, many of my friends who work in this field full-time have told me that they can tell this program is absolutely worth the investment. I'm amazed that this bootcamp has brought out skills I didn't even know I had, and in such a short amount of time!

I am working full-time while I finish this bootcamp. It isn't a walk in the park, but it hasn't been impossible. Before the course they help you with time management strategies. For me, the bootcamp has been a roller coaster between feeling overwhelmed and feeling incredibly bright, but mostly the latter! It definitely requires determination, but if you stick to it, you will for sure get your money's worth.

Monday, Mar 04 2019
    Way to go, Shelby! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We're thrilled you're benefiting from the in-person classroom experience and hands-on group projects. We commend all the hard work you have put in thus far, especially as you navigate the course while balancing a full-time schedule. Our entire team is rooting you on as you continue towards completing the boot camp and wish you continued success in your studies!
  • Brian Fitzgerald  User Photo
    Brian Fitzgerald • Student Verified via LinkedIn

The Penn Boot Camp was a life-changing experience for me. It gave me the opportunity, the tools, and the confidence to pursue and fulfill a dream of mine. The staff was awesome, the curriculum was strong, and the relationships I've made along the way have been incredibly meaningful. If you have the desire and the determination to push yourself, I would highly recommend this program. You'll learn the in-demand skills of full-stack web development, and you'll walk away with a portfolio that is ready for any interview.

Don't expect to skate through by just attending class. The program is intense, and you should be fully prepared to put in a lot of long nights -- but the outcome will be totally worthwhile. So make extra sure that this is something you want to pursure before committing to it.

One area I would like to see improvement for future cohorts is around job placement -- it would be nice to see some partnerships with local businesses that allow graduates a direct line to interviews. The toughest part of this program for me was when it ended -- the stress of finding a job in the industry can be a bit overwhelming. Work with your career services team as much as possible so that you are fully prepared to hit the job market (if that is your goal) as soon as you graduate.

Overall, the Penn Boot Camp exceeded almost all my expectations. If you are ready for a new challenge professionally, personally, and creatively, I would say go all in. Shout out to Anthony, Eric, Bernard, and the rest of the instructional staff!

Tuesday, Feb 19 2019
    Thank you for your review, Brian! We're happy to hear the program was a life-changing experience, allowing you to pursue your dreams. Our instructional staff loves what they do, so we're thrilled you felt supported along the way — we also think Anthony, Eric, and Bernard are fantastic. We're constantly looking to improve our career services curriculum, so we truly appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on completing the course, we wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors!
  • Craig  User Photo
    Craig • Student Verified via GitHub

I had followed along with FreeCodeCamp prior to joining the Penn/Trilogy (PT) program, completing the front-end portion of the curriculum.  Even though FCC offered a track for back end, I felt that in order to best learn how to make a full-stack app, I needed the formality and structure of an in-person class.  PT also adverstised the use of a modern stack, MERN, so after some time, I decided to sign up.

So far, so good.  You most assuredely will have to work outside of class to get the most out of this, and that would be true of any educational venture, so expect to be quite busy.  Now, if you do go ahead and do what I did, learning before even starting the program, you will be very well positioned to maximize your return on investment. You can come in with no knowledge of even HTML (mostly), but do yourself a favor and follow along with FreeCodeCamp/Codecademy/Lynda at least a little to orient yourself to the ways of the web.  If you had to focus on only one language beforehand, it would definitely be Javascript. Again, this isn't isn't necessary and the course is well-designed, allowing you to fairly quickly acclimate and begin immersing yourself without getting too lost too quickly. In all, if you're motivated and genuinely want to learn, you'll have no trouble getting yourself to learn on your own while following along.

Tuesday, Feb 19 2019
    Amazing, Craig! Like you said, this program will require extensive time outside of class to master the material. We're rooting you on as you continue the course and thank you for your review!
  • Fernanda Marroquin  User Photo
    Fernanda Marroquin • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm currently enrolled in the program and graduate in May 2019. When I started self-teaching myself intro HTML, CSS, and JavaScript through free online resources at the beginning of 2018, I honestly wasn't too sure that I would join a coding bootcamp. But I'm so glad I did. It's a life-changing investment on my future and it is definitely worth it.

The bootcamp is pretty fast-paced, but we receive a lot of support. We meet three days per week, totalling 10 hours per week. It's recommended to spend minimum 20 hours outside of class reviewing activities, doing additional research, and completing homework and projects.We also have office hours before and after class to ask questions about homework or anything that we might need help with. We're given homework assignments weekly and three group projects as well through the course of the program.

I've had a really amazing experience so far. Our instructor, TAs, Career Coaches and everyone involved in the program have been supportive and really care about us learning the material and succeeding as web developers.

I would highly recommend this bootcamp!

Monday, Feb 18 2019
    Thank you so much, Fernanda! We appreciate you detailing the course for prospective students and are glad to hear you're benefiting from our entire boot camp team. We're rooting you on as you continue working hard to complete the program!
  • Banging review
    - 2/16/2019
    Hector Benitez  User Photo
    Hector Benitez • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated May '18 and started the bootcamp in Oct. '18. Since the start of bootcamp, i have not regretted joining. After my graduation with my Bachelor's degree I wasnt sure as to what my passions were, or even the direction I wanted to head towards. This bootcampt gave me an even bigger sense of confidence and connections with other growing developers who share various backgrounds and personalities that made me push even further than what my 4-year degree did. It may all sound like bs but honestly, this bootcamp has been my best decisions. From the instructors to the TA's, everyone is supportive and energetic to make sure you know your stuff.

Monday, Feb 18 2019
    Thank you for sharing with us, Hector! We're thrilled the program sparked your passion in web development and helped you form lifelong connections. We’re wishing you all the best as you move forward and successfully complete the course!
  • Stefan  User Photo
    Stefan • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm currently a student about halfway through Penn's coding boot camp. So far the boot camp has been awesome. The classes cover a ton of information across many coding languages. The course will definitely help get you going with any type of developing career you plan on chasing. With that said, while the course is great, it is definitely not for the lazy type. If you expect to just attend class for 6 months and walk out knowing everything about every coding language covered, you'll be sorely mistaken. This course will require you to put the time in outside of class like they recommend.

Monday, Feb 18 2019
    Way to go, Stefan! Congratulations on reaching the midway point of the program. Like you mentioned, this course will require you to put extensive time outside of the classroom, so we applaud all your hard work. Continue studying hard — we can't wait for you to complete the boot camp and see your final project come to life!
  • Roman Verner  User Photo
    Roman Verner • Lag Manager • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Disclaimer: I'm currently enrolled in the program and have about 10 weeks to go.

The Penn LPS program I imagine is a pretty standard full-stack development program. You meet several times a week for class, and are given homework assignments and group projects to work on outside of class. In-class time totals 10 hours each week, and outside-of-class work takes anywhere between 10-20 hours per week. The pace is fast for anyone with no prior HTML/CSS experience, but they give you some pre-work before your first class to help you get caught up on key-topics.

Our instructor is amazing and truly cares about everyone's success. He is patient and really takes time to teach topics in an easy-to-digest fashion. The class itself usually consists of lectures and activities. Activities can range from small code snippets each student copletes on their own computer, to more longer-form activities whereby you spend 20-40 minutes working on a standalone application. Sometimes the activities can span the entire class and require groupwork. The class-style is varied and keeps the course interesting and fast-paced. Every class also has several TA's to help students during assignments.

Each student is also assigned a career-success coach, who follows them along the way. My success-coach has been instrumental in helping with my resume and portfolio, and I already have a few job interviews lined up before the program even ends.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! The program's structure is fantastic, the career team truly cares about your success, and on top of all of that, you get the name and recognition of Penn!

Summary

Class Structure:

• Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6:30PM to 9:30PM
    • Saturdays from 10AM to 2PM

Assignments:

• Weekly homework
    • Three large projects during the course of the program

Career Help:

• Students get career-success coach/advisor
    • Penn organizes demo-days for students to show off their work to local employers
    • Interview prep
    • Networking events
    Monday, Feb 18 2019
    We appreciate you taking the time to share your current experience, Roman! We're thrilled you're enjoying the curriculum and dynamic group projects. We're happy our career services team has been instrumental in your professional development and are excited about your upcoming job interviews. Keep up the great work, we're cheering you on as you continue towards completing the program!
  • Venkat Avinash Karra  User Photo
    Venkat Avinash Karra • Web-Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

With Electronics and Communication Engineering as an educational background with a Masters Degree, with work experience in Operation and Sales, Now I want to share my experience of this program how it influenced my life.

When I started the program, I have zero knowledge of coding, especially Front-END. After week-1 I was a little overconfident. But when I started my first homework, I still remember I spent an extra 7 hours in my office to finish it.
    On week-3 after the introduction of Javascript, it was a Roller Coaster. But I used my helpline (Mr.Bernard) who introduced me to Richard Debrah. He is very patient and tried to clarify all my doubts in once a week.

My Instructor Mr.Ed, He always loves to share his knowledge and he does so in a very fun and engaging way. It was a very fun class, and I learned a lot. He took his teaching duties very seriously and it was obvious that he cared about the comprehension level of each student. Mr.Eric, TA always shows his enthusiasm in clearing doubts for everyone.

Finally, It is my life changing the curriculum. It is very organized and very encouraging.

Thursday, Feb 14 2019
    Thank you, Venkat! We're thrilled you successfully learned the fundamentals of web development and felt supported by our entire instructional team — we also think Ed, Richard, and Eric are fantastic. Congratulations on completing the program, we're cheering you on in all your future aspirations!
  • K.Wang  User Photo
    K.Wang • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hello World!

As part of the first cohort of the Penn LPS Coding Bootcamp, I had little information to go off of. I chose this program, run in partnership with Trilogy Education Services, over others because I expected its affiliation with a leading university would suggest high standards of resources.

Every aspect of this program unequivocally exceeded my expectations. When I began the 24-week program, I was completing my final semester of a bachelor degree. The demands of the bootcamp homework are tantamount to that of a university course, so I personally don’t recommend attempting this feat. However, I am deeply grateful for the abundance of support from the program team, which allowed me to reach the finish line and develop a solid grasp on a range of topics in web development.

I also appreciated the ability to learn by interacting with peers. The flexible, part-time nature of the class hours allows for a diverse set of students. With Slack, were able to be in constant communication with each other, as well as with the teaching and support team. The enthusiasm and encouragement from all directions played a key role in drawing out motivation during the travails of the curriculum.

Through building real-world applications, both individually and in teams, this bootcamp equipped us with a skillset highly relevant to the job market. Additionally, career services were offered during and after completion of the course and provided us with guidance throughout the job process from revamping our CV’s to conducting interviews. I was impressed by the amount of growth in knowledge and preparedness I felt entering the professional industry.

For these reasons and more, I urge you to invest in this rewarding and valuable experience!

Thursday, Feb 07 2019
    Thank you so much, K.Wang! We're thrilled our course exceeded your expectations and that you utilized all the boot camp's resources. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we wish you continued success in your future endeavors!
  • Thomas Leis  User Photo
    Thomas Leis • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

One of the best decisions I have ever made hands down! I had absolutely zero experience when I started and in only eight months I became a software engineer. I still can't fully believe it yet, but it's true. It should have taken longer I know this, but God blessed me with these opportunites and I haven't looked back since. I have my all the wonderful teachers and teacher assistants at Penn LPS to thank of course, in addition to an incredible career services team that helped build my resume and craft a great cover later (two of my biggest weaknesses).

That being said, it was a terrifying experience while being in the middle of it. And I'd be lying if I didn't say that many times I felt like the dumbest person in the room. But that's bootcamp. The key is to learn how to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations. And I've come to realize it's the only way any of us, no matter what we do in this life, can grow as people.  And I certainly did grow .I grew to love my time at the boot camp, the whole process and the wonderful people, my peers, who I had the pleasure of sharing this incredible journey with. And even now, as crazy as it may be to think or say, I actually miss it. Anyway, that's my review. They give you the road map and if you're willing to follow it, amazing things can and will happen.

Thursday, Feb 07 2019
    We're so glad you enjoyed the program, Thomas! It's great to hear you had a positive participant experience and felt supported not only by our entire team but by your classmates as well. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! We are cheering you on in all your coding goals.
  • Megan Anthony  User Photo
    Megan Anthony • Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

My background was very tangential to tech before the boot camp. I managed a coworking space and planned events. I knew I had a steep road ahead by joining this program. Thankfully, the teachers, teaching assistants( , and Bernard) were incredibly helpful and attentive. At certain points, they would even explain line by line what my code was doing/saying so that I could understand how to fix the issues myself. They were patient with me and as excited as I was when I had a breakthrough. They took the fear away from learning to code and helped to understand it as if JavaScript were as easy as English.

Needless to say, the teaching team, career services, and the operations team are all invested in helping you succeed in your new career. I had members from the teaching team reach out and congratulate me on my first job offer, and honestly, I think they may have been more excited than I was(which is almost impossible).

If you were to ask me if the program was hard, yes, absolutely, but is it worth it? Again, the answer is an overwhelming yes! I still can't believe I have the job I have, and the beautiful friendships I've made since joining and completing this program.

I cannot stress enough how much happier I am since joining this boot camp. I urge you if you're considering a boot camp to really look at Penn LPS. It is a great way to invest in yourself, but also, it is wonderful knowing that someone else is also invested in you, and rooting for you to succeed.

Wednesday, Feb 06 2019
    Amazing, Megan! Thank you for choosing our program to make such a significant career change. We're passionate about what we do, so we're thrilled to hear you found our entire team to be supportive and encouraging. Congratulations on successfully completing the course and landing an exciting new role! We wish you continued success in all your future goals.
  • R. Reitz  User Photo
    R. Reitz • Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am an experienced developer with 15 years in .NET and SQL working mostly back end.  I joined this bootcamp to expand my skillset and explore broader opportunities, and I was not disappointed by the results.

Starting from vanilla HTML and CSS, and working up through the full MERN stack of JavaScrip frameworks (Mongo, Express, React, Node), I covered more ground, faster, than I ever could have on my own.

With a dedicated team of instructors and TAs, along with the help and encouragement of our Student Success Manager and Career Coach, we went from know-little beginners to career ready full-stack developers with a rich set of hands-on work and the foundations to build on for our future growth.

Tuesday, Jul 24 2018
    Amazing, R. Reitz! We are thrilled you chose our program, especially as an experienced developer, to expand your skill set and explore broader opportunities. We are passionate about enabling student success, so it's great to hear our entire team was of great help and encouragement throughout your journey. Thank you for sharing your review and congratulations on completing the program! We wish you great success in all your future endeavors.
  • Michelle Turner • Student

I decided to go for a program that would allow me to pursue a career change while still working. The course work is intense & definitely requires you to put the time in outside of class. There are many resources (tutors, before & after class office hours, career services, etc that are available & are so invaluable. Definitely recommend this program but you have to be committed to learning this skill & building on what you learn in class.

Monday, Mar 11 2019
    Amazing, Michelle! We're glad to hear you utilized the boot camp's resources and found them to be invaluable. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! Best of luck in all that you do.
  • Guillermo Barila • Graduate

I have always been interested in software and web development but never thought about it as a potential career. After taking online courses and learning on my own for years, I decided to make this career change a reality and enroll in the Penn Coding Boot Camp. The boot camp focused on teaching the concepts and technologies currently used by tech companies.

My experience was very positive. Although I had some experience and foundation on HTML, CSS and JS it turned out to be a very challenging program. It required a huge investment of time an effort on my part. In the end I learned so much more than I could have ever learned on my own. Looking back at the person that entered the boot camp and the developer I turned into at the end of the program, I am astonished with the transformation.

My instructor and TAs, as well as Career Services were absolutely amazing. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

I definitely recommend this boot camp to any person wanting to make a career change or advance their careers. It is an investment in your future that is well worth the time and money.

Tuesday, Mar 05 2019
    Way to go, Guillermo! We're thrilled you had a positive boot camp experience and were able to successfully learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best in your coding endeavors.