new-york-code-+-design-academy-logo

New York Code + Design Academy

Amsterdam, Atlanta, Austin, East Hampton, Jersey City, New York City, Philadelphia, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Syracuse, Washington, Westchester

New York Code + Design Academy

The New York Code + Design Academy taught full-time and part-time courses in full-stack web development in New York City, Atlanta, Austin, Philadelphia, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, Washington, DC, and Amsterdam. The coding bootcamp has a "learning by doing" attitude through which students learn HTML5, CSS3, FTP, JavaScript, jQuery, Ruby, Rails, Database Theory, ActiveRecord, Command Line, Git, and Collaborative Software Development. The full-time program is 12 weeks, and the part-time program is 24 weeks. NYCDA encourages collaborative teamwork through team exercises and immersion in the tech community, and organized guest speakers and tech meetups.

While the New York Code + Design Academy does not guarantee job placement, they provide career planning, portfolio review, demo days, and recruiting help to position students for success in the field. New York Code + Design Academy also offers part-time courses in Front-End Development, Back-End Development, and UX/UI Design.

Recent New York Code + Design Academy Reviews: Rating 4.02

all (55) reviews for New York Code + Design Academy →

Recent New York Code + Design Academy News

Read all (26) articles about New York Code + Design Academy →

• Best Decision
    - 11/5/2018
    Karl Rodulfo  User Photo
    Karl Rodulfo • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am graduate of the Software Engineering Intensive June 2018 program. Because of this program, I was able to successfully pivot careers and get a Front End Engineer position a month after completion with zero past coding experience.

What I love most about NYCDA is the community, which is perhaps the most important asset you can have as someone new to tech. It's a very laid-back yet still incredibly ambitious and dedicated group of people at NYCDA. You will not only have a classroom of people going through the same thing as you, you will also have a staff of people dedicated to your success.

My success coach, Sam Lubin, was very much invested in our learning and post-program success. Sam provided critical feedback on my resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and portfolios. Perhaps most importantly, he sat down with me to do mock interviews which really, really prepared me for real-life interviews (so much so that in real interviews, I was even being asked the same questions that he prepped me for). He was such an invaluable resource - even providing answers to questions  such as, "what should I wear to this interview," or, "how should I reply to this recruiter." I attribute a lot of my post-program success -- getting and nailing interviews -- because of his assistance.

My instructor, Michael Lawrence, was a fantastic teacher. He is a self-taught programmer, so he provided a number of helpful insights on processes to best learn. Moreover, he taught us many things off curriculum that you probably wouldn't be able to learn otherwise on your own. He made programming very accessible and his teaching style really helped me nail down the technical part of coding.

The program itself was very regimented and project-focused, which was a really great way to for me to learn and develop my skills as a programmer. If you really dedicate your time and effort, you will walk away with a really great portfolio of projects which will help you land that next career.

I wish I would've done this sooner.  I was reluctant at first to make the foray into an intimidating and new industry, but NYCDA really made it possible.

tldr; Recommend. 10/10. A++. Would do again.
  • True Passion
    - 2/9/2018
    Logan  User Photo
    Logan • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

True passion and focus for the students was unmistakably genuine with the two professionals I interacted the most with.

First, my instructor Cam not only went above and beyond the baseline criteria  needed to get us through the course but also promoted immense support and critical thinking. He was always patient, professional and taking his own personal time (as much as he could) to help. He would even put together additional mini lessons if anyone was stuck on a concept or challenges to help us apply a newly learned topic. Would not have been the same without him.

Jumping from a career in veterinary medicine, I was slightly nervous regarding job placement in the tech world. Nicole was the perfect solution. I never had a success coach available to me until Nicole but if I were to imagine the perfect person for this title, she would fit the profile in every way. Nicole truly exhibits a love for her job and was always great at staying on top of the students in orider to ensure we were on the right track. Even after I graduated, she would be the one checking up to see how I was doing and if I needed help with anything; truly amazing at her job.

• Nick F  User Photo
    Nick F • Technical Solutions Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

NYCDA completely changed my life. I've spent over a decade working in bars and catering, barely scraping by, struggling to make rent. Today I signed an offer letter to start a new career as a developer!

The course was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life but also the most rewarding. I had Cam Crews as an instructor and he was amazing. He didn't just have us memorize code and spit it back out. He taught us how to learn. Going forward I know I'll never run into a challenge I can't solve because of the way Cam taught us how to attack problems and learn new skills.

I graduated in August and just got this offer in January. The five-month job hunt was longer than I had hoped, but the whole way through it I had my career advisor Nicole Arndt supporting me and helping me find new opportunities. She introduced me to my new employer! I can't imagine having to go through this process without having Nicole on my team. She is tireless and dedicated in a way that can't be over-expressed. I really owe this new life of mine to her.

Taking this course is a commitment to changing your future. It is grueling and exhausting and sometimes painful. I probably spent about 50-60 hours a week in the building for the three months I was in class. But if you commit and do the work, the staff at NYCDA will show up and work just as hard, if not harder, for you. If you are ready to work and dedicate yourself to your future, then I can't recommend this course enough.

• Would do it again
    - 11/8/2017
    Wesley  User Photo
    Wesley • React-Native Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had a great time during my Web Developement Intensive course! My instructor David was amazing, as was our TA Ro. The cirriculum tought me the basics of what was needed to become a professional web developer. More importantly, I learned how to think like a programmer, and how to learn programming concepts. I'm currently a React Native engineer. React Native wasn't a part of the cirriculum, but I felt confident in my ability to learn because I had gotten so much support and learned the fundamentals which carry over into anything.

After graduation NYCDA continued to support me. Nicole gave me great advice and was invaluable in reviewing my resume, portfolio, and all the things I needed to start my job search. She also helped preparing for interviews, which really helped, and when it came time to interview nothing really surprised me and I felt ready.

tldr; Take this course

• Summer 2017
    - 8/25/2017
    Andrew Littlefield  User Photo
    Andrew Littlefield • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took the New York Code + Design Academy intensive coarse this summer and it was the best experience I have ever had in a schooling environment. My instructor Casey was incredible, always willing to work through frustrations and difficulties until I fully understood why something was not working the way I had intended. I would recommend this coarse to anyone who is interested in learning code, here you will not only learn full stack web development, but even more importantly you will learn to learn code.

• Luis Diaz  User Photo
    Luis Diaz • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am an alumn of the third cohort of the New York City Tech Talent Pipeline Residency @ Queens College. It is a four-month program that provides exposure to professional opportunities in tech for computer science majors. Upon completion of an initial four week web development and job readiness course, delivered on-campus by an instructor from the New York Code + Design Academy, participants begin a paid internship at leading NYC businesses in web and mobile development roles and connection to job opportunities post-graduation.

As a student tranisitioning from academia to the workforce, the process was grueling, arduous, and daunting.  However, NYCDA made the experience just a little less painful. It was comforting knowing I always had someone to turn to (whether it be Amanda, Nicole, Maddy, Krystal, or any of their various instructors) throughout the various setbacks and rejections I inevitably encountered. They motivated and inspired me when I lacked the confidence to do it myself. The individualized, one-on-one attention that their career coaches provided allowed us to know where my strengths/weaknesses where.  Too often, people in the industry turn a blind eye/ear to the people looking to enter the workforce. NYCDA took the time to listen to me no matter how busy they might have been.

• Camille Elmer  User Photo
    Camille Elmer • developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I personally had a great expierience with Nick he was very knowledgable and was very good at explaining how to develop websites and explain how different applications of code work with web development.

Josh was also very goo dat connecting us (as students) with the community and potencial employers.  It made me personally feel very good that I actually found work in coding before I even graduated and he helped me look up potencial questions that they may want to ask me.

Thank you for all of your help guys!

• A great experience
    - 5/10/2017
    Jonathan Fox  User Photo
    Jonathan Fox • Junior Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the Web Developement Intensive course and had a great experience. The curriculum was fast paced, but our instructor was good enough that he was able to challenge those who were catching on the most quickly, while spending more time with those who were not.

I only wish that there was a little more emphasis on pushing our websites to production. We only spent a short time on that, and after the class was over, I struggled remembering/solving problems that I encountered trying to push my own projects to production.

• Yerlan Baiyekeshov  User Photo
    Yerlan Baiyekeshov • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I would like to share my personal experience after taking course. Before that, I had no programming skills and my field of activity was not related to technologies. Nevertheless, I decided to change my life and take an intensive course in web development, which I do not regret, and moreover, I am very grateful to NYCDA. I liked very much how everything is organized in the academy, from filling out an application to graduation and job search. I am especially grateful for the help of my instructor, who was conducting this course, Cam Crews. I advise to everyone who is thinking about taking this course try to get into his group. Big thanks for the help of Krystal Kaplan, who takes the position of Outcomes Coordinator. Her advices on writing a resume and personal website were very helpful. I would like to  recommend to everyone not to miss her classes and follow her advices which definetly will help in job search, because I was able to find a job as a web developer right after taking this course. During my studies I not only gained knowledge and a specialty, but I also found new friends. So once again I want to express my great gratitude for such a friendly atmosphere and professional approach!

• Darren  User Photo
    Darren • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took this class with a career change in mind - I wanted to become a full-stack web developer - and I was actually hired by a startup before the class was even over (initially as a freelancer, brought on as a salaried employee a few months later). It's important to put this in context - I had been working as a self-taught web developer for about 2.5 years before starting this class - I had a pretty solid grasp of the basics and could build simple apps in a LAMP stack and hack my way through a Ruby on Rails app, but I was really lacking a sense of best practices, and found frontend frameworks (ReactJS, Angular) to be hard to grasp. I decided to take this class because I was getting a lot of job interviews (I had a good-looking portfolio with a few production apps) but was flopping during the interviews themselves.  Even though this class effectively started from square one and I was already a more moderately-experienced dev, I wanted to break myself down and start from scratch.

After the first few weeks, I felt that the class was moving at a good pace for me - perhaps a little too fast for some of my classmates who were not as experienced and didn't quite have the contextual understanding that I had, but the teacher and the TAs made a point to provide a lot of opportunities for extra help.  I have two main criticisms of the class itself -

1. There were not a lot of assignments. Mainly, we focused on three large projects. Personally, I was ok with this - I was working a full-time job while taking this class, and honestly wouldn't have had time for much more than this, but I feel like a class like this would benefit from little things like a daily coding challenge or something along those lines, especially for people who are just starting out.

2. Code testing is a very important skill and, although we did investigate a few testing tools, we didn't really address how to effectively build them into a development process. But, for what it's worth, this may reflect trends in the 'real' world as well - testing gets a lot of lip service, but I'm not sure how many people actually do it (so far, at my new job, I have not seen anyone implement any sort of test... oh well).

Those critiques out of the way, I'd have to say that everything about my experience at NYCDA was positive. This class emphasizes developement in a Node/React environment, which is really what you want to be studying right now. Other bootcamps are still focusing on Ruby on Rails, which seems to be rapidly fading from popularity (as all techs eventually do... but why study something that's already on the way out?). The staff at NYCDA is genuinely invested in your success - Krystal Kaplan (of the Career Services department) makes an active effort to get involved with the students early on in the program and stays involved all the way through (and after) the class.  She really got to know all of the students from the class, and was constantly involved with us - helping with resumés, talking about interview skills, passing along oppurtunities and news.

Overall, this class significantly boosted my professionalism - now I feel like I actually know what I'm doing!  I found the listing for my new job on the NYCDA job posting board, and I aced the interview process because of the skills I built here.  Is it possible to give a better endorsement than that?  Well, maybe - most of the other students in my class had little to no development experience, but six months later, I can honestly say that I was completely floored by the amazing final projects that they had all built - every single person in my class produced amazing work.  Great job students, faculty, and administration!

• Z. PC • Graduate

When I decided to do a career change and learn web development, choosing from the various bootcamps and programs in NYC was a bit daunting. Choosing NYCDA was the best choice I've ever made. The school is small and warm, and it truly does feel like family. David was my instructor, and I can say that he was really supportive and was always available to help and provide resources whenever I asked. Krystal is a fantastic success coach and really took the time during and after the program to make sure I was well prepared for interviews and provided me with the resources I needed.

One of the many things I love about the school is the support you receive from all the alumni, staff, instructors and teaching assistants. Everyone is always available for advice, help or just to chat. You never ever feel like just one more student or just a number.

Remember, a bootcamp is just a place to gain the foundations you need to become a developer. Whatever YOU put into it is what you'll get out. If you choose NYCDA you are doing more than just learning "how to learn", you are receiving a lot of support from everyone at the school and you will be part of a caring community.

• UX Immersive
    - 9/10/2018
    Carissa • Designer • Student

TLDR:  Don’t enroll in UX programs at NYCDA,  they are great sales people but awful teachers.

I recently withdrew early from the UX immersive program.  I have never been more disappointed with an experience at a school, which is why I felt compelled to write this, even after receiving a full refund.  Keep in mind that I left a good high paying job for this program, and I can’t immediately find another high paying job.  So I have lost income and greatly disrupted my life to go to a sham of a school for five weeks.

I feel like the school actually lied to me about the nature of the program, such as material that would be covered, and the way in which it would be conducted.  I was told this program was a very competitive program, that would have me ready for a UX career in three months.  I currently work as a designer in fashion, so I felt like an intense program for a few months would be a good investment.  I was told that I would be in class with other professionals looking to transition their careers, and candidates were rigorously screened due to the intense nature of the program.  I considered this important as I knew these programs entail a large amount of group work. I was also told that there would be a foundations program to get everyone up to speed.  However most students weren’t “up to speed” and the class began on a very very basic introductory level.  It seems that my foundations program wasn’t even reviewed by anyone at the school, and my teacher, Jimmy Chandler wasn’t even sure what was covered in this program we all had to complete before day 1.

I was assured that the course would start to speed up, but it actually slowed down after my teacher gave his very basic introduction slides to UX.  He progressively lectured less and less.  His two hour slide presentation, became a 45 minute slide presentation, and one day he had some allergies and just put on a video for an hour.   The rest of the day we were meant to work in groups, but we didn’t have much work to do at all, so after finishing our work we would try to learn on our own or just socialize.  Although there often wasn’t much to do, Jimmy required us to stay the whole day for a fifteen minute wrap up at the end of the day.  This entailed everyone to go around the room and say what they learned that day, it only took fifteen minutes because we struggled to think of anything.  At $15,000 for a three month program, I was effectively paying $250 a day.  When I signed up for this program Jason Poole, an advisor from the school, told me this full time program was a great deal because I was effectively paying less per hour for the instructor’s time.  They also had an evening program that was less expensive, but also less hours.  I have an email from him where he breaks down the price per hour of instruction in each program.  However my teacher didn’t actively teach most of the day.  He regularly took meetings during the day, left with saying nothing, ate his lunch during class time, or just blankly stared at his computer.

Furthermore Jason Poole advised me that html and css would be integrated into our program. However, on receiving my syllabus I saw it was only a few days in week 9.  Upon arriving to class Jimmy Chandler advised us that he actually moved it to the last week of class because he had a conference he would be missing class for, and would be having someone else teach a workshop.  The average job in UX requires knowledge of html and css, so I was extremely disappointed that this would only be a small part of the program at the very end.  My success coach advised me to learn on my own through tutorials, which I immediately began.  I don’t expect a school to teach you everything, but when something is promised in a sales pitch….. is this allowed?  Who is policing NYCDA and other bootcamps to follow through on the promises that they make students.

While nothing is a guarantee and I was clear that NYCDA wasn’t a staffing agency, they also didn’t seem to have much in terms of career/job resources.  My success coach was a former student, who worked in theater and as a tutor, but didn’t seem to have any professional experience at all.  Every week we had to do a lengthy assignment where we filled out paperwork regarding our personality, career goals, and did research on the industry.  All were templates he gave us were things pulled from the internet.  I didn’t receive any feedback on these assignments.  Their slack job channel seemed full of internships.  I had no idea how I was going to take the little that we were learning, and materialize it into skills that would elevate my career.

I filled out a formal complaint, and spoke with several advisors at the school.  Everyone seemed sympathetic to me, but no one knew how to make the situation better.  They didn’t have resources to get another more competent teacher in quickly, and it didn’t seem that Jimmy Chandler was going to suddenly become more knowledgeable.  Finally someone from a remote office in Florida emailed me and asked me to call them.  She said if I left that very day I could have all of my money back, but if I stayed I would be obligated to pay the full $15,000 as I was past the drop date.  They wanted me out and fast.  So I took my money and I left.

• Francisco • Student

I will go chronologically. First, the onboarding was terrible! Not even an introduction email with some basic instructions, there were not even instructions on where the course is being held and most of us arrived to a wrong location where they did a presentation but was not the actual place of the course, when we finally arrived the teacher literally said open your text editor and start executing programs we didn't even know they exist. The teacher was ok and was really pushing us to do stuff (which is good) but was lacking of experience like a lot and then we switched to another teacher, one that was the other way around, he's been prograamimng since a young age, has LOTS of experience, knowledge and get things do amazingly good but as a teacher, bad like really bad. The entire time was just looking at him doing stuff, always late and could never follow the structure that he made (bc he didn't like NYCDA structure), we ended up graduating with just a final project in our github and many topics were left aside and from the academy itself... careless, the person in charge of Amsterdam operations left in the middle of the course, classrooms were absolutely disgusting, sometimes even locked down and we had to use other disgusting rooms, at the very end of the course we finally hear from somebody in NY who offered support, she was actually very helpful but it was impossible to compensate with the lack of experience after the course, now I find myself trying to apply for jobs with a very poor portfolio and serious lack of skills.

• Sanneke • Analist

Please review carefully before you start a course here! It is a very inefficient, unprofessional organisation that doesn't provide a professional service. They only care about money and don't take complaints seriously. Very unimpressed

• Matt F • Graduate

Prior to enrolling in NYCDA's web intensive program I had ZERO programming knowledge. After the first two weeks with my teacher Orlando, I was already building confidence, learning the basics, and on my way to creating my first app!  Although challenging, and the instructors encourage you to find answers on your own, NYCDA gives you all the tools and vocabulary necessary to begin programming! You will surprise yourself after three months at NYCDA.

In addition to learning how to program, NYCDA has a great career development team.  Nicole Arndt and Krystal Kaplan helped curate my resume, gave excellent mock interviews, schooled us on time managment, and showed us how to avoid interview pitfalls.

I recommend starting your programming experience at NYCDA.

• Danny • Developer • Student

I did the web development intensive class over the summer 2017. It was not only a great learning experience, it was also pretty fun. Our instructor David would give us challenging work and after big assignments we would play some fun games to relax. Going into this class, I knew I would struggle styling apps, I have NO artistic ability. Luckily, our TA Ro was a UI/UX guru and was able to help me make my projects look decent.

The course itself is not the most challenging out there. Many of the others will expect you to know some of the basics going in. One of the employees put it best 'It is a 0-60 bootcamp, while some of the others are 20-80.' That being said 4 of my 8 classmates dropped out, so you will need to have some skills. Surprisingly, some students didn't even look at any code prior to the class. You are paying good money and changing to a new career, do a bit of coding on teamtreehouse.com first and see if it is for you. The plan is to live with this choice for decades not 3 months!

The curriculum was a small complaint of mine. The slideshows were gross and unclear with little example code. David eventually was writing lessons of his own which were great. Although I had complaints, it is important to note that they were nearly finished with a new curriculum which supposedly rolls out in 2018. It sounds better since it is more focused on how you would work in a job, rather than making fun apps for yourself.

Job assistance was nice to me. Nicole was always ready with advice and gave us a lot of good tips for interviews and resumes. Don't expect them to get you a million interviews. They were able to get me one. The rest I had to find myself. But their advice/guidance was a big reason for those.

Don't expect a job out of the gate.  I was one of the lucky few that found a job pretty fast (2.5 months). Much of this had to do with the fact I had taught in public schools for 5 years so I had some work experience, I taught myself React for my final project which is currently in demand, and created another app after graduating (I strongly suggest this). I also know that many students stop coding after a month of so. You can't do that, employers literally know.

I now work as a react developer in the city for a small company in NYC. Honestly, I got lucky to get a full time job this early. I know of many people still searching and working hard to get their feet off the ground. I am really happy I did the course and for those out there who are motivated, have tried some coding, and want to make a change. I strongly recommend NYCDA.

• Skyler • Graduate

If you have a duck phobia, be forwarned that this place has rubber ducks. I know it can be quite frightening. Especially when it gleams at you from across the desk as you ponderously work on your assigned project. Which you undoubtedly have spent many long hours on and will spend numerous more on.

Let me say right up front that before I took this course I already knew how to code and have been programming for many years. The reason I took this course was to get an understanding of how all the pieces fit together, and what technologies were being used by web developers. This course was to be a foundation on what one needs to know to excel at web development.

It is important you understand where I come from and what I wanted out of this program. I have read numerous other reviews by similar programmers who bash the course for not delving deeper into the technical intricacies of web development. They are quite true in that regard, this course will not give you those details. What this course will do depends on where you are coming from. If you have never programmed before then this course is a great way to learn, you skip the comp-sci theory and jump right into making things which is extremely powerful. If you come into this program already knowing how to program (say you are a computer-science major) this is still value to be had. For the text book programmer, this is a great place, it can challenge you to learn new frameworks, langauges, and api's and then utilizing those skills right away. With that being said, if you are coming into this already knowing how to program then know that you are going to have to raise the bar your self on the challenges the course gives you. The assignments are pretty easy up front but there is plenty of room for you to take the extra mile.

tldr. good foundation for web development, great place for coding illiterate to learn, and experienced coders need to challenge them selves by doing more then what the assignments ask.

Once done with the course NYCDA does help with job placement. That is not to say they will get the job for you rather they will present you with opportunities to do so. I took the course in New York and the coordinator their Krystal Kaplan was a tremendous help. When I was moving back to PA she connected me with the coordinator there (Emily Jennings) who was an amazing help as well.

• Stay Away!
    - 5/22/2017
    Eric • Student

This place is a shit show. They are the epitome of unprofessional and do not exert any amount of effort for their students. As a student you will be constantly faced with teachers that don't care, zero transparency and blatant lack of response post graduation. They privately acknowledge that thier curriculum is outdated yet continue to enroll new students with no updates to the curriculum. I left this school feeling completely unprepared and have required a ton of additional work on my own post graduation. They have an entire department dedicated to Career Services which informs students of the importance to brush their teeth and shower before interviews. These recommendations were even written down on the board for visual representation........in other words if your in NYC please do not get fooled by the cheap prices spend the extra money and go elsewhere.

• Josh • Student

I was skeptical going into the class at first but was amazed how warm and friendy everybody was! Lynell was really easy to work with and helped me get started enrolling into class. Nick is an amazing instructor. He is really easy to work with and takes time to make sure you understand all the content. Big shout out to Josh for always hooking it up. He make's sure we are talking to all the big companies hiring web developers and always brings food! Overall this has been a life changing experience. I am very grateful for all the amazing friends I've made and I'll the skills I've learned to be a better developer.

• Part time Web Dev
    - 5/11/2017
    Chris Jao • Student

NYCDA is Awesome, at first I was taking the Full time Web dev intensive and the instructor was great. I have learned more than I expected throughout the course but still got a lot to learn.  Unfortunately. I got really sick the last month and was sent to the hospital a couple times. So my attendance went down and I felt discourage. But NYCDA Admin worked with me and got a second chance to attend the Part time Web dev, I took this opportunity and didn't waste it. I am Very grateful, thank you.

• Egor • Graduate

Hi everyone! I am a front end developer from Russia. Last summer I decided to combine business with pleasure, broaden my knowledge in UI/UX Design while improving my English. I read a lot of reviews about various bootcamps and chose the User Experience/User Interface Intensive at The New York Code + Design Academy. The New York City campus is located in the center of the Financial District, what I regarded as an advantage because it took me only about half an hour to reach the place by metro. Since the very first day, I was pleasantly surprised by the family atmosphere at the school, the friendly attitude of the staff, the comfort and coziness of the area and well-equipped classrooms. Our course instructor, Jimmy Chandler, is a great specialist in Interface design and a wonderful teacher whose lectures were cleverly structured and supplemented by activity tasks. It was really cool to chat with him about some new tech issues at the lunch breaks. Each week, NYCDA invited specialists in design to share their experience, ideas and new technologies with us. Meetings were held in a format of business lunch. Throughout the course, the school also organized extracurricular lectures in New York City museums.

To supplement our work in the course, the Outcomes Producer, Krystal Kaplan, provided the most informative lectures on self-presentation, going through the interview process and creating the perfect CV. She met one-on-one with each student to give them tailored recommendations. With Krystal’s help I managed to make important improvements into my personal website.

This bootcamp helped me discover this new field and made me a full stack developer. Now I know the all methods of researching in design and how I can use them. I learned how to conduct interviews and how to test prototypes. I completely mastered the Sketch and several  other apps for creating interactive prototypes. By the end of course I added three completed projects to my portfolio. Coming back to Russia I found a job at a global company. Apart from the professional benefits, I made many new friends. I want to sincerely thank all the people who were with me at that time - it was one the greatest experiences in my life!

• Avoid
    - 2/20/2017
    Ron D • Student

Avoid this place at all costs. The course I took here was terrible. Unprofessional, badly taught, unclear, and often beset with many technical problems such as projectors not working, etc. Homework was practically non-existent, even though it was supposed to be weekly. I didn't come out of it feeling like I'd learned anywhere near enough to justify the high cost. The class numbers really dwindled toward the end. I'd estimate more than 50% of students dropped out within the first few weeks.

I also had numerous problems with their billing department, who somehow could not get it together to take money from me. This part of NYCDA is really chaotic and disorganized. I ended up getting multiple "Your Payment is Past Due"-type emails from them spread over nearly a year after I signed up for the course. Very, very stressful.

You're in NYC, there are far better coding schools than this. Go to them instead.

• Amanda • Graduate

The time that I spent at NYCDA was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  I came to NYCDA in the hopes of switching fields from elementary education to the tech industry, and that change would not have been an option for me without NYCDA.  The course was both rigorous and engaging, and the program’s learn-by-doing approach taught both necessary technical content and practical skills such as resourcefulness, logic, and analysis.  The instructor was knowledgeable and helpful, and the staff cares about their students.  After graduating, the staff has followed up with me regularly, offering job placement assistance.  I have already worked a contract position in Quality Assurance, and, because of NYCDA, I can now look forward to a career in an industry that I find interesting, challenging, and rewarding.  Thank you, NYCDA!

• Ben • Front End Web Developer • Graduate

*Full Disclosure: After I graduated the Web Development Intensive course, I worked as a TA for several months before I landed my developer job.

First things first, everything everyone has said so far is valid, being on both sides of the course as a student and TA, I was fortunate enough to really get a full experience from both sides. There are people who come to NYCDA open, focused, confident, and love the environment and do very well and then there are people who come scared, anxious, not willing to follow instructions, are antagonistic, and wash out. There are also people who go from one end of the spectrum to the other. If you're seriously considering or thinking about attending, there are two important things you should consider, the coursework and career services

Let's talk career services. No offense to anyone who works career services at coding boot camps but from my experience, you can either get someone who is sincerely supportive, with your interests at heart or you get someone who will help you get the job. With that being said, you really get both from Krystal and the outcomes team at NYCDA. Krystal helped me get my shit together after I graduated NYCDA, helped me negotiate when I had job offers, and to this day I still get that A-1 career advice from her. I remember this one time when I was applying to companies and I asked her if she had a contact at a company I was seriously interested in. She actually ended up reviewing my resume with the CTO to figure out how to make me more marketable. Who else would do that for you?

Now let's talk about the coursework. I was fortunate enough to have a great instructor ( Orlando ) and to work with great instructors ( Liza and Will ). BUT, I can totally understand the sentiment that former students had about their instructors/the curriculum. Recently, NYCDA has been fighting these issues and management seems to have been taking the school in the right direction. There is now a full-time team in place just to focus on developing the curriculum. In addition, the instructional staff has gotten more diverse in their backgrounds and they are excited to teach/mentor students.

Here's the final takeaway from all this, I was an average student for the WDI course, became a better TA for the WD100, PTWDI, and WDI, and now I'm working my first job as a Front End Developer with a digital agency in New York City ( so it kind of worked out for me ). With that being said, I have nothing to gain from writing a positive or lengthy review, I just wanted to share an honest opinion. I had a great experience, I have no regrets, and at the end of the day I was surrounded by good, smart people and if you're willing to work hard what more can you ask for?

• Highly Recommend
    - 11/16/2016
    Dave • Web Developer • Graduate

NYCDA's Web Development Intensive is sometimes stressful, often frustrating, and 100% worth it. If your goal is to learn how to code, and to pursue a career in web development/software engineering, I couldn’t recommend NYCDA more highly. The instructors (I had Orlando), and Outcomes Coordinator (Krystal) work hard to put you in position to succeed, and to help you get the most out of yourself and the experience as a whole. Come ready to work, and this program is every bit as good as advertised.