School of Code
The School of Code bootcamp simulates a real-world tech work environment with daily stand-ups, team problem solving, and feedback sessions. It is a blended learning course split between on-site projects and teaching, which transitions to more remote work options as the course progresses. Students will also attend regular meetups, hackathons, and events to gain experience in all aspects of the technology industry.
No coding experience is necessary to apply, but applicants should enjoy problem-solving, love learning new things, have a passion for technology, and want a future in tech. All prospective applicants can fill out an online form regardless of academic or professional background. Applicants must participate in a coding day and pre-course learning before being accepted.
Graduates of School of Code will gain soft skills, teamwork skills, and a portfolio of real-world tech projects to impress employers. Graduates can either job search on their own or enter the job support period where they can complete more real-world consultancy projects.
Recent School of Code Reviews: Rating 5.0
Recent School of Code News
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Start Date None scheduled Cost £0 Class size 24 Location BirminghamLearn Full-Stack Web Development on our 16 week Coding Bootcamp, completely *free of charge*. The aim of the course is to get more and different types of people into technology, and we partner with great companies who want to see the same happen such as Packt Publishing to allow us to run our first Bootcamp for free.
Deposit 0 Financing0 Tuition Plans 0 Refund / Guarantee 0 Scholarship 0
Minimum Skill Level 0 Prep Work 0 Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
School of Code Reviews
19 reviews sorted by:
- Amazing free bootcamp!!- 5/25/2020Helen Kent • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedInon as I could. The bootcamp met and exceeded my expectations.
There is a one week and final four week project in which you work in teams to produce an app to solve a problem. This is invaluable experience and will really set you apart when you're looking for a new role. I loved this experience and really enjoyed working in a team to build something we were excited about.
Throughout the bootcamp we also had numerous guest speakers that came to the School of Code to talk to us about their roles, their companies, how they use tech or to teach us about new tech. This was a great way to learn from more people but also to begin extending our network.
After the bootcamp you aren't left to go and find a job on your own...the School of Code partners with Spinks recruitment and they bring the jobs to you! Companies are vetted to ensure that they are set up and prepared to support junior developers so you can be sure that your development will continue in your first role. The companies that recruit from the School of Code pay a recruitment fee, which is one of the ways that SoC is able to provide the bootcamp free of charge to learners.
Lastly, aside from all the brilliant reasons I've just listed, the School of Code is amazing because it is run by fun, caring people who put all their effort into ensuring their bootcampers succeed and are happy. I had an amazing time and was so lucky to be with a brilliant group of bootcampers who are now friends - I would 100% recommend the School of Code bootcamp to ANYBODY who wants a career in tech. You will not regret it!
- The School of Code changed my life!- 5/23/2020Liz Kaufman • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedInThe sixteen weeks I spent at the School of Code have been mind-blowing. It’s the most incredible opportunity, and to have it be free was the cherry on top. I’m so privileged to have had this experience. I’ve gone from being able to maybe make a basic HTML page pre-Bootcamp to designing full-stack applications in four months! Chris and the SoC staff have put their heart and soul into making this amazing, and I’ll always be grateful. It was also brilliant to hear from the guest speakers as well as we were able to experience and ask questions of people from across the spectrum of tech jobs. And of course, my fellow bootcampers have been amazing! In the least corny way, we’ve become a family. We’ve banded together, had each other’s backs no matter what, never hesitated to help each other out, and have a ton of inside jokes. Also, the School of Code connects each bootcamper with a mentor in the industry, and having someone in my corner to share insight and wisdom has been so valuable throughout the bootcamp and as I find my first tech job.
We learned a staggering amount in four months. Not only are we now equipped with the tools to build and deploy full-stack software, but we've also studied design, UI/UX, accessibility, DevOps, testing, broader computer science topics, and so much more. Even the global pandemic couldn't stop us. The last eight weeks of the bootcamp transitioned seamlessly to fully remote working, including our four-week final projects, and the School of Code continued undaunted.
Before School of Code, I felt a bit adrift and stagnant career-wise. Although I learned a lot and met a lot of great people in my old jobs, I just wasn’t fulfilled. I had always had an inkling in the back of my mind toward technology, but it seemed really daunting to get started on my own, and I didn’t really know where to start. Thanks to the School of Code, that's completely changed - I have a brilliant foundation so that I can keep building on it and learning more. I’m genuinely excited about my career and future and looking forward to what the years ahead will bring.
- The best experience- 5/22/2020Cheryl Asif • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Jodie- 5/19/2020Jodie Neville • seeking a developer role • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedInThe School of Code offers everything you could want from a bootcamp, and all completely free! It's been a fantastic experience and I can't believe how much I've learned over the 16 weeks. We also had guest lectures from people in industry, so going with the SoC is a great way to get connected as well as educated.
The bootcamp started out based in Birmingham's Custard Factory, but due to COVID 19 we had to switch to remote learning. The team handled this exceptionally well, and the transition was very smooth.
Giving up your old life to learn code and attempt to break into Tech is a great bonding experience. I have 23 fabulous new friends now too.
- Launched my career- 11/26/2019Ben Rosell • Junior Frontend Developer • Graduate • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via GitHub
School of Code was a life changing experience for me - I acquired skills that I never would have been able to get without assistance.
After completing the School of Code bootcamp, I was invited to an interview day for SoC alumni. Shortly after, I was offered an internship with a local tech company. Now, a couple of years later, I have received a promotion and I am a contributing member of my team.
- Amazing experience!- 11/26/2019Matthew Wendzina • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via GitHub
School of Code was an incredible experience- From excellent tuition, to brilliant mentorship, to regular visits from industry professionals and a visit to London to see some of the biggest tech companies like Facebook. School of Code trained us not just to become good coders, but taught us so many other important skills which made us even more employable. These were things like working on large scale projects, week long coding challenges for companies, frequent pair coding and team work, learning how to work in an agile workflow as well becoming comfortable with industry standard software tools such as git, npm, vs code etc...
By the end of the course I felt ready and confident to step into the software industry as a junior developer, and within one week landed a job as a full stack software developer securing three back to back interviews with different companies!
- Isabel Holland • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: BirminghamThe School of Code bootcamp experience was fantastic. I learnt a wide range of tech stacks and the necessary soft skills to get in to a tech role. The staff are passionate, knowledgable and incredibly welcoming. The environment is open to everyone and hugely supportive. The school is well connected in the industry and had interesting guest lectures throughout.
I would recommend it to anyone looking to move into the tech sector. It’s a warm and friendly environment to learn in and a great opportunity to develop!
- Patrick Young • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: BirminghamThe best way I can describe the School of Code in one sentence is “the absolute perfect place for someone to go from knowing almost nothing about programming to be ready for employment in only 16 weeks”. I enjoyed every minute of SoC from the moment we stepped in through the doors on day 1 with 24 strangers to leaving after demo day as fully fledged software developers who are now friends for life.The programme is crammed with cutting edge industry technology and best practices, which has ensured we are highly employable and it also focuses on self development and learning. It has given me the ability to go out on my own and pick up more or less any new tech stack that I wish to learn.All this is centered around a relaxed and more importantly fun environment which encourages creativity and teamwork, but that is not to say it is a walk in the park, the course is intense and requires 100% commitment from any bootcampers who are lucky enough to land themselves a space.The support you will find from everybody involved directly in SoC as well as the wider SoC community and their recruitment partner for both learning new skills and finding work once the course is over is also in incredible.I can not recommend the School of Code highly enough for anyone looking for a change in their career or looking to break into the tech industry.
- Best. School. Ever.- 5/22/2020Tao Sharma • Junior Developer • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: BirminghamBefore starting the 16-week School of Code bootcamp I had not written a line of code. Now I feel more than ready for employment in the tech industry.
Aside from learning what feels like a ridiculous amount about coding and the tech industry, the experience was also really fun and rewarding on an interpersonal level. The entire School of Code community, which is made up of previous students, stakeholders and prospective employers, have all been really supportive. Although the experience stretched me and took me out of my comfort zone, I never felt so overwhelmed that I became stressed or anxious. There were always people around me that would help me to solve a particular problem, or work through a difficulty. This contributed to a great atmosphere in which to learn and grow. If you are interested in learning to code, I cannot imagine a better way to do it.
- Life Changing- 5/22/2020Mark Gilligan • Student • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: BirminghamI spent 16 weeks here between Jan 2020 and May 2020 and it has honestly changed my life. It's a free boot camp which will teach numerous languages in a rapid time frame. Its 100% accessible for people who have never coded before. As long as you have the drive to learn you will succeed. They support you after its finished, and continue to involve previous boot campers in the community. I don't know what I would have done without it.
- Not your Average Bootcamp - Life Changing- 5/19/2020Hannah Murphy • Site Reliability Engineer • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: BirminghamAs a graduate of School of Code, who read a fair bit about bootcamps prior to attending School of Code I feel it is important to first explain why SOC is not your average bootcamp:
- School of Code is a 100% FREE, (business model based on recruiter fees, partners/sponsors & investors) - therefore bootcampers pay nothing - no down payment, no % of subsequent salary.
- The 16-week bootcamp takes people from absolute scratch, (no pre-requisite 300hr courses etc), all the way through to professional developer - this really gives newcomers a fair chance.
- there is an incredible level of support for graduates to get them into work. This includes creating an extensive network of vetted tech companies willing to invest and grow the potential of diverse tech talent. Lining up at least 3-4 interviews for candidates and continuing to reach out and support candidates to catch up and check in on the first weeks of work - this demonstrates the investment of the bootcamp in the success of your learning and their confidence in it solidifying into real results through a successful career in tech.
- There is a huge extensive support network - guest lecturers, ex-bootcampers, tech experts and companies which allows you to meet and hear from those working in tech regularly.
- School of Code has shown exceptional resilience during the COVID-19 pandemic- our particular bootcamp transitioned from an in-person bootcamp to a remote one for the first time never losing momentum, focus or support for all bootcampers & extended team - well done!
- The core of the model is inclusive diversity meaning the differences in people who attend the course is a huge benefit to participants
Why do this? Their aim is to help more and different types of people benefit from the tech industry - especially as we see increased unemployment, rising automation, and the rapidly changing job landscape - creating extensive social impact and tech talent - truly inspiring!
I attended the 2020 bootcamp from Jan - May and started my dream career in tech directly after the course in May as a Site Reliability Engineer at the Economist. School of Code and the Economist who ran a workshop with us during the program were able to identify a great fit between candidate, company and skillset and both sides were incredibly positive and supportive of my transition into a new career.
If this sounds like something you are interested in - I really encourage you to apply - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain both professionally and personally. If there is anyone that you think this could benefit, please send on the details or like/share School of Code on social media so we can spread the word and help as many people as possible.
Thank you School of Code for the opportunity for us to be an agents of change in tech and contribute to the transformation of the industry to include a whole range of different people full of potential! Keep doing amazing things!
* These outcomes are not audited by Course Report. In some cases, data is audited by a third party.
Of the students who enroll at School of Code, 96% graduated. 100% of graduates were job-seeking and 95% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $27,000. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 22 graduates included in this report: