School of Code
The School of Code bootcamp simulates a real-world tech work environment with daily stand-ups, team problem solving, and feedback sessions. It is a blended learning course split between on-site projects and teaching, which transitions to more remote work options as the course progresses. Students will also attend regular meetups, hackathons, and events to gain experience in all aspects of the technology industry.
No coding experience is necessary to apply, but applicants should enjoy problem-solving, love learning new things, have a passion for technology, and want a future in tech. All prospective applicants can fill out an online form regardless of academic or professional background. Applicants must participate in a coding day and pre-course learning before being accepted.
Graduates of School of Code will gain soft skills, teamwork skills, and a portfolio of real-world tech projects to impress employers. Graduates can either job search on their own or enter the job support period where they can complete more real-world consultancy projects.
Recent School of Code Reviews: Rating 5.0
Recent School of Code News
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Start Date None scheduled Cost £0 Class size 24 Location BirminghamLearn Full-Stack Web Development on our 16 week Coding Bootcamp, completely *free of charge*. The aim of the course is to get more and different types of people into technology, and we partner with great companies who want to see the same happen such as Packt Publishing to allow us to run our first Bootcamp for free.
Deposit 0 Financing0 Tuition Plans 0 Refund / Guarantee 0 Scholarship 0
Minimum Skill Level 0 Prep Work 0 Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
School of Code Reviews
8 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
- Launched my career- 11/26/2019Ben Rosell • Junior Frontend Developer • Graduate • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via GitHub
School of Code was a life changing experience for me - I acquired skills that I never would have been able to get without assistance.
After completing the School of Code bootcamp, I was invited to an interview day for SoC alumni. Shortly after, I was offered an internship with a local tech company. Now, a couple of years later, I have received a promotion and I am a contributing member of my team.
- Amazing experience!- 11/26/2019Matthew Wendzina • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via GitHub
School of Code was an incredible experience- From excellent tuition, to brilliant mentorship, to regular visits from industry professionals and a visit to London to see some of the biggest tech companies like Facebook. School of Code trained us not just to become good coders, but taught us so many other important skills which made us even more employable. These were things like working on large scale projects, week long coding challenges for companies, frequent pair coding and team work, learning how to work in an agile workflow as well becoming comfortable with industry standard software tools such as git, npm, vs code etc...
By the end of the course I felt ready and confident to step into the software industry as a junior developer, and within one week landed a job as a full stack software developer securing three back to back interviews with different companies!
- Life changing opportunity- 11/27/2019Clare Streets • Associate Director • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham
I took part in this course with zero coding knowledge.
After 16 weeks of excellent teaching, mentoring, coaching and being fully integrated into the local tech community I found myself with a choice of excellent job opportunities in the tech industry.
A once in a lifetime, life changing opportunity to make a career change into an industry full of exciting roles. School of code is now well regarded within the industry as providing excellent candidates who bring not only cutting edge tech skills to industry but many other additional skills that make the graduates excellent team members within any organisation.
- Excellent course- 11/27/2019Kira • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham
The School of Code was an amazing experience. Chris created a brilliant inclusive environment where we could work cooperatively and I learned a massive amount in 4 months. We learned a range of technical and soft skills and worked on some amazing projects. Everyone had a personal mentor from a company in the Birmingham area who were incredibly helpful and generous with their time. A range of guest speakers gave us a good idea of the range of careers available in the tech sector. There was a lot of support to help us into jobs at the end of the course and I started my job the week after finishing the bootcamp. I was really well prepared for my new career.
- A route into becoming a Developer.- 11/27/2019Brendan Richards • Junior Mobile Developer • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham
The School of Code was a fantastic, life changing journey. I was looking for a career change, away from teaching, but struggling to transition into a new career. Initially, it was hard to believe that the course was free to students, but after applying and spending 16 weeks training with Chris at the school of code, I was able to gain a job as a mobile junior developer with a multinational media company.
The 16 week course is very intensive but thoroughly enjoyable, learning a variety of coding skills, technical skills, personal skills and also making great friendships. If you want a route into becoming a developer there cannot be a better way. Fantastic course!
- Transformational- 11/26/2019Ben Lee • Course Tutor • Graduate • Campus: Birmingham
I went from being a jaded jazz guitarist just about scraping a living to a man with 5 job offers in the space of 4 months. I decided to stay on and work for the School of Code!
Not only did I have the best four months going on an epic journey with 23 other people, I also learned how to code, made great new friends AND got myself a job.
Chris was a fantastic teacher, the course was a fantastic course. I'm so glad that I took the leep of faith and joined the School of Code, and am very happy to now be working there.
- An absolute best experience- 5/22/2018Jennifer Yashi • Graduate • Campus: Birmingham
The highlight I found most appealing was starting the day at bootcamp with new challenges. I was quite satisfied with how Chris taught us how to face a task by drawing it up on paper and breaking it down into smaller chunks BEFORE attempting to code. This made me to not dread being assigned tasks no matter how difficult it may seem.
I especially loved how my colleagues were willing to help each other in problem solving as well as forming some kind of support group.
Team work was absolutely fun as there was mutual respect among team members and everyone seem to have the same level of passion. People were made to identify their weaknesses and strengths when coding and this helped to strategize as to how best to contribute during group tasks.
- Life Changing! Literally- 5/18/2018Christopher Miller • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: School of Code Bootcamp • Campus: Birmingham
On the 4th September 2017, I arrived at the bootcamp fully expecting to hate the social side of the course, but to love the code side. I could not have been more wrong! I loved every single second of the course. From the very beginning, i was finding out new information, new skills and new abilities that I can genuinely say changed my life. For me, the most enjoyable part was the part I expected to like the least - the social aspect of the course, particularly the team-working and the pair-programming. The highlight for me was the opportunity to go to OpenBankHack17 (a hackathon in london) with 3 of my class mates (now friends) and winning "best organised team". It was very hard work - i was getting up approximately 6am, and not getting back in til approximately 7:30pm. Some evenings, I would be coding whilst eating my dinner with my wife. But I can genuinely say I enjoyed it, even with the ammount of time put in it. I would genuinely 100% advise anyone who has any thoughts at all of joining this boot camp to do exactly that! don't miss the opportunity to change your life.
* These outcomes are not audited by Course Report. In some cases, data is audited by a third party.
School of Code has an acceptance rate of 5%, of which 96% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at School of Code, 96% graduate. 95% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $27,000.