pursuit-logo

Pursuit

New York City

Pursuit

Pursuit offers an intensive, Full Stack Web Development Fellowship in New York City and online that trains adults from underserved communities to build careers in the tech industry. The Pursuit Fellowship consists of two parts: one year of training (Pursuit Core) and three years of career support (Pursuit Advance). The curriculum includes three major threads: Technical Mastery, Industry Readiness, and Leadership & Personal Development. On average, Fellows go from making $18,000 pre-program to over $85,000 post-program.

The Pursuit Fellowship has no upfront tuition. Instead, Fellows commit to paying a percentage of future earnings for a set number of payments upon landing a job earning above $50,000. Pursuit has progressive rates based on annual salary. This model enables adults from low-income and minority communities who are representative of the diversity of New York to learn to code. Pursuit cohorts are made up of at least 50% women, 50% African-American or Hispanic people, 50% immigrants, and 60% of their participants do not have 4-year degrees.

No coding experience is required but applicants should demonstrate both financial need and the potential to succeed in a technical career. Selected candidates from the applicant pool will be invited to a sample coding workshop as well as an in-person interview led by engineers, experts, and other volunteers from the community.

Pursuit Fellows have been hired at over 150+ tech companies from fast growing startups to Fortune 500s. Pursuit works with hiring partners to create job opportunities exclusively for their Fellows, including companies such as Uber, Peloton, Thumbtack, and Citi.

Recent Pursuit Reviews: Rating 3.64

LocationNew York City
  • Full Stack Web Development Nights/Weekends

CSS, HTML, JavaScript, Front End, React.js, Ruby, SQL
    LocationNew York City
    A 12-month full-stack web development boot camp including technical training, professional skills development and job search assistance. Classes are Monday to Thursday 7 pm to 10 pm, and Saturday and Sunday 10 am to 6 pm.
    Tuition PlansUpon securing a tech job over with a salary over $60,000/year, you commit to paying 12% of your salary for three years.
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you don't get a tech job or make above the salary threshold, you won’t have to start paying.
    ScholarshipMetrocard scholarships available. Laptop loaners as needed for the duration of the program.
    Minimum Skill LevelNone. Need to be 18 or older, earn an annual salary of under $45,000, live in NYC metro area, committed to becoming a developer.
    Prep WorkAll materials for the application process are provided in advance.
  • Etsy Software Eng
    - 9/27/2021
    John Jones  User Photo
    John Jones • Etsy Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Pursuit has helped changed my life by allowing me to meet others who are like-minded as me and people who can help us achieve our goals. Pursuit has provided me with the tools needed to enter the tech industry and thrive!
  • Life changing!
    - 4/25/2021
    Amin  User Photo
    Amin • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Pursuit is nothing like other bootcamps, mainly because it’s about making a change where it’s most needed, helping under-represented communities, not to forget that the Fellowship has no upfront tuition!
    Additionally, the staff is always there to help and support in any step of the way to achieve your success.
    I'll keep it short, I looked many bootcamps when I was planning my career path switch and weighted their pros and cons then decided to go for Pursuit and I'm happy I did.
    I strongly recommend it!
  • Marlon Rugama  User Photo
    Marlon Rugama • iOS Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Like many immigrants, I came to the US with big dreams and a strong desire to succeed, but no job experience here. It was only when I discovered Pursuit (formerly known as C4Q) that I found a path to fulfill my dreams. Pursuit's curriculum enabled me to focus on developing the key hard and soft skills to succeed as a software engineer, from learning how to solve problems with app development to (SOFT SKILL). I've never before in my life been so excited to study; and Pursuit believed in me and supported me every step of the way.
  • Jose Rodriguez  User Photo
    Jose Rodriguez • Software Engineer I • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My experience at Pursuit was a delight. I had been looking at multiple coding bootcamps before joining and it seemed like it was the one that fit me the best because of their focus on helping individuals from under-represented communities, and also because it allowed me to learn programming without charging me anything until I actually landed a job. While going through the program I found an awesome space that became my home for about 10 months of going almost everyday and with other folks that would make my experience there even better. From the staff all the way to the other fellows going through the program with me, I can't really say I had any negative interactions with anyone. Pursuit's curriculum, in my case (Full-Stack Web), covered as much as it could and it did it in detail. Besides, learning programming they made sure to make time for us to practice professional skills such as interviewing, white-boarding, networking, etc. After completing the program, Pursuit made sure to keep in contact by sharing job opportunities, holding more workshops to offer more opportunities of mock interviewing and white-boarding; convincing me that they really wanted to help me on my job search. I was lucky enough that I received a job offer only 1 month after finishing the program and would totally recommend it to anyone else that wanted to get into tech!
  • Carlos Hidalgo   User Photo
    Carlos Hidalgo • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    This program does an excellent job at assisting its students and ensuring that they are on track towards a successful career. The amount of dedication and grit that the teachers display in ensuring each student is on level with the material is incredible. There is no shame in this program and everyone is willing to help one another out like a huge community. If you're looking for a program that's 100% about its student success then you've come to the right place.
  • Shaedon Blackman  User Photo
    Shaedon Blackman • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    4x full stack cohort member. There were definitely areas for improvement. With that being said Pursuit is very close to being leaders in alignment on their mission. They have been pivotal in helping many transition to careers in Tech with a very well strategized fellowship that enables people from all ranges of technical backgrounds to become software engineers. Overall the coursework is super solid and great prep for transition. The majority of the staff is able to connect to the target community at high levels some have more trouble navigating an intellectual urban crowd but that is expected. The community is the best really supportive and strong. Its a roller coaster ride but if you're dedicated to completing your transition this is a great option. I think the bond agreement can be structured to be less stressful on newly transitioned engineers but understand the need to pay back loans. This leads me to raise the question if the investors were really interested in the success of people from underserved and traditionally poor communities could they not find some other return on investment or a less aggressive payment over a longer period of time so that the fallout from transition is more sustainable? Pursuit does a great job hiring amazing support staff who understand the full picture of running a program for the target community. Some questions arise when it comes to retention with the same staff but from my experience there's amazing progress in upper management with  approach as far as it comes to fellows and staff. I'm betting that there's more progress to come. I would strongly suggest application to this program for people interested in becoming software engineers.
  • Changed My Life
    - 2/9/2021
    Jay F  User Photo
    Jay F • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I'm a 6.4 Pursuit FullStack Web alum. I'm now an Associate Software Engineer at Moody's Analytics. The Pursuit application process required no knowledge of coding, but focused on my problem solving skills and whether I could learn to think like a coder. The staff is always available to help and does everything they can to help you succeed. It is still a self-driven process, though. You will get out what you put in and they will always meet you where you are. The Pursuit community of alumni and volunteers is extremely engaged and are always offering assistance or facilitating opportunities where they can. The curriculum focuses on teaching you the FullStack basics, but also makes sure to focus on the current technologies to make you stand out in your job search. The professional development help is top-notch and applies to jobs way beyond the technical field. I would recommend Pursuit to anyone who is looking to kick-start their career whether it's your first or third act.
  • Justin Burgin  User Photo
    Justin Burgin • Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Before coming to Pursuit I had no coding experience and wasn't on a career path to be in Tech. I didn't get into Pursuit on my first try but this was something I wanted to do so I was persistent. Being a student of the program was one of the hardest challenges in my life; the nights and weekends cohort was no joke for me because I worked a job through half of my time & dealt with personal issues. In addition to working the course work required a lot: critical thinking, grit, being resourceful, communication, teamwork & emotional intelligence were some of the skills that I needed to graduate. Although the course work was difficult the Instructors and TA's are amazing! They're there to help you, no question is a bad question and there is no limit to how many questions you can ask. They're truly there to help, you just need to speak up and ask for help and also be clear with your question so that you can get the answer you need. Also your classmates are there to help, find those who are willing to help you and don't be afraid to ask. Pursuit is not just a program, it is a community where you build lifelong skills and connections that will be critical to advancing in your career. Pursuit isn't there to hold your hand but it's there to help you open the door. After graduating Pursuit, YOU are the one to help determine the outcome of your job search. You have to be the one to step up and continue to push in order to get the opportunity you want. If I could, I would do it over again and if you're reading this I hope you're ready for a life changing experience! Thank you Pursuit!
  • Not for everyone
    - 7/11/2019
    JR  User Photo
    JR • Student Verified via GitHub

I started as 5.1 FSW Fellow in October 2018. Previous to Pursuit, I had very little experience with coding. I had to learn Javascript from scratch and often it felt a little overwhelming at the beginning. I would say instructors provided good lessons on key concepts and intricacy of JS well to someone who just started learning. It also helped the fact that instructors were also from bootcamp graduates who shared their own experience and strategy for studying with students. It does require students to be pro-active in seeking help and degree of self-learning outside of class instruction.

Program is not an easy journey for sure. You will have to sacrifice your social life, financial freedom and any other distractions to do well in this program as materials that you will learn will sound very foreign to you at first and takes a lot of effort to understand. I saw some students failing to keep up but they were usually the ones who failed to seek resources for help or failed to keep themselves motivated to code beyond assignments. You won't do well unless you develop genuine passion for coding and creating.

If someone asks me if I would ever go through Pursuit again to get my education, then my answer is yes. Not only I built skills necessary to start a career in tech, but I also met great people who really provided sense of community and support, including fellows, instructors, and outside mentors.

• Overall Experience:

Disclaimer: I am writing this as a former applicant that made it to the final round of inteviews but was ultimately not accepted for this program, so this review is about the admissions process I experienced. I also find it highly suspect that this school changed their name from "Access Code" to Pursuit shortly after another reputable school started a more credible program that also has "Access" in its name.

After a submitting my application online, I was invited for an in-person interview and logic and math evaluation at C4Q's campus in LIC, Queens. Class is located in a relatively isolated part of the city full of renovated warehouses, one of which C4Q also calls home. The closest train station is about a 10-15 min walk away, which was pretty uncomfortable to do in business casual clothes in 90 degree weather. Nevertheless, after getting lost a few times I eventually made it. I waited with a large group that was split into 2, the first half taking the written logic + math examination while the others were interviewed and given an oral/spoken logic test that were encouraged to "talk through" with our interviewers.

Witnessing the herd of mass interviews and logic tests occurring at several tables dispersed neatly in symmetrical rows along a packed room was probably the most dystopian thing I've seen in awhile. I don't think interviews could get more impersonal than that. Either way, I made it through to the third and "final" round in which we were given a 2-day crash course in Javascript led by TAs who were program alumni.

My TA's body language screamed that he did not want to be there, almost as his being there was part of a compulsory obligation upon completing the program. Half the time he wasn't even in the classroom and was out talking to his friends in the hallway, eating snacks or both. When he was in the classroom, a majority of the time he was on his phone texting or scrolling through facebook or instagram and was more or less mentally checked-out unless it came time for us to do our team projects in which we were split into groups of two. TAs evaluate us on our "teamwork", so therefore they need to pay attention to how we perform in groups. Other than that, he wasn't terribly involved. Other tables' TAs took an active part in the lecture and were much friendlier, helpful and attentive. During one of the teamwork modules, when he stopped by to check in on our progress and I had a question about a bit of code I was confused about he had the audacity to say "Are you asking me a question?" Yikes. Afterwards, during evaluations, I was told that I needed to ask more questions which hardly seemed fair. I did ask the instructor a few questions during lecture, however our TA wasn't there to take this into account since he wasn't even in the classroom.

C4Q Access Code is specifically geared towards minority, underrepresented and immigrant students within the low-income bracket. Because of this, there is no upfront cost or tuition until you complete the program and are offered a high-paying job at the rate of $60000 or more (the average salary for graduates is $85000).Upon completion and hiring, you're obligated to pay 12% of your salary for THREE YEARS. That is 3x longer and more money than any other coding bootcamp. They boast that the average salary for program alumni after hiring is $85000, of which 12% is $10200. That amount for three years is about $30600 total.

$30600 total for about $15000 of comparable training at a different school. Think about that. For a program that caters exclusively to the lower-income demographic while expecting enrollees to quit their full-time jobs to commit a 10-month full-time program without any other financial assistance, this seems almost predatory. Other schools often also have no upfront cost with scholarships/financing plans for low-income or underrepresented students and probably an even more established, robust alumni network which leads to better job search support.These programs also have less of a time commitment and if they do require a portion of income after program completion with no upfront tuition, it is generally 10% for one year as opposed to three.

C4Q's mission is noble, and I certainly wish them the most success and thank them for the opportunity to interview for their program. However, that being said, there is certainly some room for improvement with their admissions process which I hope the program will take into consideration-

1.) Better program management is sorely needed with admissions. It's great that C4Q has an open policy for diversity and inclusion and I commend them for taking an active stance on closing the race and gender gap in tech. However, there's only so many people you can accept (and also physically have within the walls of your  campus during interviews!) The fact that they were still interviewing more people for round one while our group had already made it to round two only added insult to injury. This also made things feel crowded and somewhat chaotic as there was plenty of confusion between groups of applicants. It almost seems as though they extended the application deadline and brought so many people in for interviews *just* so they could make the 10% admissions rate.

2.) TA training and evaluation should be on-par with applicant evaluation. Perhaps at the end of the second and final Javascript test, there should be a prompt for applicants to evaulate their TA's performance and helpfulness in comparison to other tables' TAs. I would have certainly had some comments, even if this section would have been optional. Perhaps TAs should be alumni who actually *want* to be instructors, and a TA position could be something like an apprenticeship before becoming a program lecturer. This could certainly weed out unmotivated TAs like the one my group had and also lead to a more positive overall experience for all parties involved.

3.) Be transparent about overall program costs and take into consideration the loss of income students will face should they choose to enroll. If other potential applicants actually looked at the bigger overall picture and total costs many would think twice. Transparency in post-completion hiring statistics and how funding is used would also be appreciated.

Overall, it wasn't too terrible of an experience and I recommend anyone considering applying to this program to go for it but with ample research. I hope that with my feedback, the application and interview process will improve for future applicants.

• Brutus
    Challenging but worth it. Two years after applying to the program and through their continued assistance, I accepted my first full time roll in June 2021!
  • Sergio • Graduate
    Pursuit is that kind of place that you would never regret going to, it really feels like a blessing to be a part of such an open and caring community. They work towards the mission of empowering minorities that normally wouldn't have access to a high paying job and they do it for real, you'll get the vibe starting from day one. During the pandemic they had an economic relief assistance for Fellows that were in need, what other bootcamp does that? The support you get at Pursuit it's not just technical and professional, it's truly, deeply human and that alone sets Pursuit aside from the rest.