App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.
Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.
App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.
Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.67
Recent App Academy News
- App Academy Grad Jerrik Won $500 in Our Sweepstakes!
- February 2019 Coding Bootcamp Podcast
- April 2018 Coding Bootcamp News Podcast
Start Date None scheduled Cost $0 Class size N/A Location OnlineWith App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
Deposit N/A Refund / Guarantee Your full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
Deposit None Tuition Plans Standard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795 Refund / Guarantee Money back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
Minimum Skill Level No experience required Prep Work None required Placement Test No Interview No
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Deposit Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required. FinancingLending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option. Tuition Plans $17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit) Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week24 Weeks
Deposit $0 FinancingAvailable through Climb Credit Tuition Plans - ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000 Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
App Academy Reviews
978 reviews sorted by:
- Life Changing!- 5/11/2021Taylor Musolf • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHubI started App Academy in January 2021, after I had decided to quit my sales job in the medical manufacturing industry to get into tech. It was a challenging course, and you definitely have to be ready to put your life on hold and dedicate 16 weeks to immerse yourself in the material and keep up with the workload they expect of you (at least 70-80 hours a week). I think it was a great time to get into this bootcamp since with COVID I wasn't tempted to leave the house much anyway.
You will make many great friends in the cohort along the way that will help you have a good initial base network that you will carry with you into your career, and the career coaches and an abundance of additional resources will be there for you in the job search(which I am in right now).
Keep in mind the onus will mostly be on you throughout the program to pass the assessments, get your projects done, and get the new career you are dreaming of. The instructors and coaches will help you, but you will also need to help yourself to be in the top applicants in a competitive market.
I would say the main con is there is a lot of information thrown at you and a lot of times it can be disorganized, so you need to ask lots of questions and figure out what is important either for your short term understanding of the technologies or what companies are expecting you to know in the real world.
Overall highly recommend App Academy, if you are looking to make a life change and get into the tech industry!
- Great experience- 5/3/2021Olga • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHubMy experience at App Academy went above and beyond my expectations for a coding bootcamp. When COVID hit, I was torn between going back to college or joining an online bootcamp. After researching many bootcamps, App Academy stood out to me because it was one of the few places that offered a shared income agreement. The quality of the curriculum was excellent, and the instructors are very qualified. I felt that all the staff and my classmates were invested in my success, and this kept me motivated through the 24 weeks online program. Each week, we covered a new topic through lectures as well as built projects to reinforce our skills through pair programming. If it any point, I had questions or needed a concept further explained, the TAs immediately offered assistance. Overall, I really recommend App Academy to anybody who wants to enter the tech industry.
- agonal breathing- 4/29/2021AgonalBreath • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHubIf it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
These guys will tell so many lies that you may accidentally convince yourself that they are an upstanding institution with a moral compass. If you've uncovered this review, consider its points, as it will be drowned out by shill marketing.
you are forced to compliment a staff member every day in a daily form you MUST fill out, this is a requirement to graduate.
The entire course is based around misinformation, and withholding relevant information from their hostages(students, woops). You will get lied to so much but you'll have no choice but to ignore it, as you've already dedicated so much time to a class.
Their salesmen claim 95% graduation rate in an effort to get you to sign on the dotted line, but in a couple weeks the class size will drop by from 90 students to 50. Maybe 30% of your starting class will graduate within the 24 week period. This was verified in classes prior to mine.
They'll force a more intrusive ISA down your throat after you've fully committed to the course, and should you have the audacity to refuse to sign away your first born son; they'll accuse you of wrongdoing.
Their instruction staff has such heavy turnover they don't even know right from wrong, expect to get reliable information from them, think again. These guys are drunk on greed, and they can no longer see straight
- App Academy, The place to be!- 4/27/2021Robert Vogtritter • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInHello all future software engineer and developers,
If you're looking for a Bootcamp that offers problem solving, structure, and excitement; You're reading the right review!
The last 6 months at App Academy have been amazing. I went from knowing nothing about coding (complete beginner) to an accomplished full stack graduate. I have made a dozen friends and of those dozen, 3- 4 will be permanent friends that I will continue to support throughout my career. The staff at App Academy is top tier, they're personable, smart, and accurate. The camp really helped me overcome my struggles with problem solving. I feel much more comfortable and can easily pair with anyone to complete a task. I recommend eating well, studying daily, and taking time to rest. I wouldn't give up my experiences at App Academy for the world.
- Most Rewarding & Fulfilling Challenge!- 4/20/2021Courtney Newcomer • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHubOnce I decided to take the leap into a bootcamp, after many recommendations by current software engineers, and also, not having the funds to go back to school for another Bachelor's and having twin toddlers to take care of, I found App Academy my very first day of searching. With every step of the enrollment process, every person that I interacted with was genuinely excited for me and offering words of encouragement. Fast-forward to the last few weeks of my program, in the midst of designing and building a solo capstone project, that encouragement and support never faltered. I was fortunate enough to have an amazing cohort of peers that helped each other learn through pair programming and extra study sessions, incredibly talented staff of TA's, Module Instructors, and outstanding APTM and PTM. This was by far the most challenging thing I've every completed, but it was the most rewarding.
- Intense but rewarding- 4/19/2021Hammad Khalid • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedInIf you are looking for a career change or to get into coding in general, I would highly recommend App Academy. App Academy lives up to its name. It is a highly selective bootcamp, that is also very intensive. But once you complete it, the reward is amazing. My journey at App Academy was 16 weeks long. I took the In-Person Full Stack Web Development course, you can also take the online 24 weeks long course I believe. My in-person course was remote, due to COVID. To be honest, I was not expecting to learn a lot online, as I learn better in person, or so I thought. But during the course, I really appreciated it being online as it saved me from having to move to NY and the commute time it would have taken to get back and forth every day. Since the course is very intense, the saved time was a blessing. The TA's and my cohort-mates were really amazing, helpful, and fun to work with. Since it's a rigorous program, all of your cohort-mates are going through the same thing, and are truly willing to help you out even if you are not in class. After the 16 or 24 weeks end, depending on what you choose, they help you land a high-paying job. That way you have a good job, and App Academy also gets paid if you took the deferred payment plan, which I did.
Overall, it was an amazing experience. If you have no prior coding experience like myself, I would recommend App Academy. It is a great way to get into coding and land a good job. Hope this helps.
- Great Program!- 4/9/2021Taten Knight • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInThis program is great! It has a modern curriculum that teaches everything from programming basics to full stack web development. If you have programming experience, the start of the program is an opportunity to freshen up some basic skills and get some reps in before things pick up. If you don't, the start of the program could be overwhelming, but with the deferral system, you should have an opportunity to nail down any concepts that you are struggling with.
- I'm loving App Academy- 4/7/2021Jesse Ogburn • Student • Course: App Academy Open • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInI am switching from a 17-year career in woodworking and carpentry to software engineering so big switch! I am very impressed with the course so far, it is hard enough that I am learning a lot, but not so hard that it is discouraging. The folks at the academy have done a really good job choosing their teacher for the course, Alvin is very talented as explaining and demonstrating the different concepts that the course covers. Overall, I am very impressed with everything
- River • Student • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInMy experience at App Academy has been nothing but excellent. Learning a new skill is not easy, it never is. Especially when you are learning it at breakneck speeds that is the intense 6-month program at App Academy. But the process was that much easier because of the people at App Academy, both the instructors and the fellow students. This program is not for the faint of heart. It will be hard. You will cry. You will want to quit. But know that aA will always be there to have your back.
- Full Stack Software Development- 4/1/2021Rob • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
- An exhausting and amazing experience- 4/1/2021Clinton Hill • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn