App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.
Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.
App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.
Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.66
Recent App Academy News
- October 2021 Coding Bootcamp News
- App Academy Grad Jerrik Won $500 in Our Sweepstakes!
- February 2019 Coding Bootcamp Podcast
Start Date None scheduled Cost $0 Class size N/A Location OnlineWith App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
Deposit N/A Refund / Guarantee Your full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
Deposit None Tuition Plans Standard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795 Refund / Guarantee Money back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
Minimum Skill Level No experience required Prep Work None required Placement Test No Interview No
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Deposit Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required. FinancingLending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option. Tuition Plans $17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit) Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week24 Weeks
Deposit $0 FinancingAvailable through Climb Credit Tuition Plans - ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000 Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
App Academy Reviews
1030 reviews sorted by:
- A worthwhile challenge- 1/13/2022Ayla • Full Stack Engineer • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInThis program was one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences I've been through. Coming from an Entertainment & Music Industry background I hadn't coded much prior. The pace of the material kept me on my toes throughout the course. However, there is a beauty in their curriculum style and teaching methods, from the start they instill the kind of self-reliance that it takes to solve real-world problems on the job. The pair programming was a great way to take in the material, learn to work with all types of people, and make friends. I would say it's really important to make friends and study with other students, that is probably what helped me most when I was struggling was the support system I created there. The teachers are amazing and really go above and beyond.
Another part of the course I rarely see mentioned by other reviewers is the Career Quest portion for 3 months following completion. The resume, portfolio, learning session, and partnership resources are really what sets App Academy apart. I was super impressed with the job support and career coaches.
If you're considering a Bootcamp, App Academy is stellar!
- Graduate- 1/4/2022Zeki Kural • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedInPros:- Great TAs to help you along the way
- Daily projects to practice the concepts you learn
- Three major projects for your portfolio towards the end of the course
- They are honest when they say 'expect to work 80-90+ hours a week'.
- They move through the material really fast and it always feels like you never completely learn everything
- There are weekly assessments - two fails result in a dismissal, which adds a lot of stress in addition to the course load
I did feel fulfilled and satisfied by the overwhelming topics that we have to read and understand because it is also probably one of the few way we could improve ourselves rapidly
- You don't need app Academy, but you kinda do.- 12/30/2021Neil Pandya • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedInIn theory, app Academy doesn't provide you with anything you can't otherwise get for free to land a job as a software engineer. They do provide things that make it a lot easier. They provide job support: coaches that will meet with you to debug your projects, slack channels with people who will help you debug, connections to partnership companies, but most importantly: motivation and direction. It's possible that you are perfectly motivated all by yourself, in which case skip a coding bootcamp such as aA. If you're anything like me though, app Academy gives you all of the directions, you follow them, and eventually you have a job in software engineering. They give you deadlines during the curriculum and are always over your shoulder making sure you apply to jobs during the job search. You are with a cohort, who is both your emotional support system and competition, the perfect recipe for motivation. Feel free to skip app Acedemy if you can cultivate these qualities yourself. If not, it's worth joining.
- An honest review- 12/29/2021Yehuda Goldschein • Graduate • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedInApp Academy is hard. It's stressful. There's long hours, longer days, and longer weeks. But what do you expect? Do you think that a course that can change your life, put you on a path for a real high paying, rewarding career would be easy? I didn't know if I could do it. Somehow when the course started, I just never backed down. I put in the effort and came out the other side a full fledged Software Engineer. I couldn't recommend this more to anyone who wants a fresh start. To anyone who wants to put their life on track. App Academy changed my life and with some effort, it could change yours.
- Hardest experience of my life, but worth it- 12/14/2021Arnold Cabang • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInApp Academy is no joke when it comes to how hard the program is. I've seen reviews before I joined that mentioned how your life during the program will basically only consist of eat, breathe, and sleep coding. And honestly it pretty much did feel like that. However, if you've got the drive and will to pick up coding skills in a short amount of time, you're not going to really mind it too much. All this to say, that I feel the reward was certainly worth the challenge. Nothing felt more rewarding than finally understanding a concept, passing a test, or getting over an insurmountable blocker during a project. For the short time that you spend here, you definitely pick up a whole lot of knowledge. For me personally, I never would have gotten this far on my own within 6 months time and I have App Academy to thank for that. Everyone from the staff to the cohort-mates were amazing and supportive. If you're hesitant on joining but you know you've been wanting to get into coding for a while, I'd say just do it. I haven't regretted my decision ever since.
- Great Bootcamp- 10/28/2021Man Tat Masa Cheung • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHubApp Academy was great. I graduated with a CS degree, but in App Academy I learnt a lot of new programming languages and I built three different web-application which also helped me developed my resume. I spent a lot of extra hours for me to feel comfortable and finish up the projects. I would definitely recommend the program, just make sure you make friends and get a group of supporters together during the bootcamp.
- best bootcamp!- 10/26/2021Arwen Kim • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInI have attended 16weeks program and recently graduated. It is fast-paced study environment, you need to spend at least 70-80 hours per week to avoid failing from the courses. Even though, TAs help you really well with keeping up your environment, and gives you motivations too. I definitely recommend it for your good future career, because they even helping you out during job search. You can get good advices not even just for your documentation but also for your upcoming interview until you get a job.
- Overall, pretty good.- 10/26/2021Darrick Shin • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInI attended the 16-week program. It was a fast-paced environment and pretty easy to fall behind if you weren't committed to around 60-80 hours a week. It starts off pretty easy, but there are measurable increases in the pace and difficulty every two-three weeks. If you're thinking about doing this Bootcamp, I'd recommend finding a group as early as possible. It's easy to feel behind if you isolate yourself, but in a group, you realize most people are at or around the same level. Additionally, my peers helped make up the knowledge gap.
- Honestly, Best 6 Months of My Life- 10/21/2021Kyle Tseng • SWE to be • Graduate • Course: App Academy Open • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInEven if you're just slightly interested in getting into coding, App Academy does a great job of really introducing you to everything you need to be a full-stack developer. Not only that but their deferred payment model helps alleviate a lot of the financial burden that you would experience with other bootcamps, where you only start paying after you land your first job. There are some pros and cons here and there though:
- Super supportive staff who really just want to see you succeed and make the bootcamp feel less pressuring
- You get to meet a ton of new people here who are relatively in the same position as you or have the same interest
- Instructors are also super lenient as long as you're forthcoming with your circumstances. While there are specific check-in times, if you've experienced an accident and don't have the time to, as long as you let them know ASAP they're really understanding about your situations.
- There is a lot of content on the platform that needs to be updated/changed. Some of the modules we skipped over projects because they didn't want us doing them or typos in the curriculum
My only tip for anyone interested in this program is, don't half-ass the program. You're going to end up paying for it both financially and academically if you don't give the program your all. It's an intense program and rightfully so because of the amount of content you need to fit into your brain to compete with recent 4-year college graduates. But again, there is so much support from the staff that if you don't get something, never be afraid to ask for another explanation, maybe from another instructor.
- A jam packed experience keeping you on the edge of your computer chair every waking moment... Also in your sleep as well.- 10/5/2021Pierre Guilbault • Dancer turned SWE • Graduate • Verified via LinkedInApp Academy was quite the experience. It was a lot to take on, and at times didn't feel manageable. It took a lot of extra time for me to feel comfortable with everything. I put in a lot of extra hours and a lot of effort to keep up with everything. If you learn quickly and do well teaching yourself then this is the course for you. There were times later in the program where help from instructors was a little lacking, not only did it seem that they didn't have all the answers but that they didn't have the time to help either. It is a fast paced program so I think the problem lies in the fact that we are hungry and plentiful and there just isn't enough time for it all to be possible. I would definitely recommend the program, just make sure you make friends and get a group of supporters together during the bootcamp.
- App Academy teaches you more than just coding- 9/25/2021Cody Brown • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInMy App Academy experience has been fantastic. It's true what they say, you get out what you put in. You will absolutely succeed and learn a TON if you apply yourself. You learn more than just how to code, you learn how to manage challenges, manage your time, your emotions, how to work hard and learn new things. Graduating App Academy is real testament to your strength. A roller coaster of an experience and I don't regret a thing.