app-academy-logo

App Academy

New York City, Online, San Francisco

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.66

all (1011) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Kyle Tseng  User Photo
    Kyle Tseng • SWE to be • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Even if you're just slightly interested in getting into coding, App Academy does a great job of really introducing you to everything you need to be a full-stack developer. Not only that but their deferred payment model helps alleviate a lot of the financial burden that you would experience with other bootcamps, where you only start paying after you land your first job. There are some pros and cons here and there though:

Pros-

- Super supportive staff who really just want to see you succeed and make the bootcamp feel less pressuring

- You get to meet a ton of new people here who are relatively in the same position as you or have the same interest

- Instructors are also super lenient as long as you're forthcoming with your circumstances. While there are specific check-in times, if you've experienced an accident and don't have the time to, as long as you let them know ASAP they're really understanding about your situations.

Cons-

- There is a lot of content on the platform that needs to be updated/changed. Some of the modules we skipped over projects because they didn't want us doing them or typos in the curriculum

My only tip for anyone interested in this program is, don't half-ass the program. You're going to end up paying for it both financially and academically if you don't give the program your all. It's an intense program and rightfully so because of the amount of content you need to fit into your brain to compete with recent 4-year college graduates. But again, there is so much support from the staff that if you don't get something, never be afraid to ask for another explanation, maybe from another instructor.
  • Pierre Guilbault  User Photo
    Pierre Guilbault • Dancer turned SWE • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy was quite the experience. It was a lot to take on, and at times didn't feel manageable. It took a lot of extra time for me to feel comfortable with everything. I put in a lot of extra hours and a lot of effort to keep up with everything. If you learn quickly and do well teaching yourself then this is the course for you. There were times later in the program where help from instructors was a little lacking, not only did it seem that they didn't have all the answers but that they didn't have the time to help either. It is a fast paced program so I think the problem lies in the fact that we are hungry and plentiful and there just isn't enough time for it all to be possible. I would definitely recommend the program, just make sure you make friends and get a group of supporters together during the bootcamp.
  • Cody Brown  User Photo
    Cody Brown • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My App Academy experience has been fantastic. It's true what they say, you get out what you put in. You will absolutely succeed and learn a TON if you apply yourself. You learn more than just how to code, you learn how to manage challenges, manage your time, your emotions, how to work hard and learn new things. Graduating App Academy is real testament to your strength. A roller coaster of an experience and I don't regret a thing.
  • Software Engineer
    - 8/31/2021
    Shane Wilkey  User Photo
    Shane Wilkey • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I wasn't sure what to expect when I enrolled in App Academy, but it ended up being one of the most difficult and rewarding experiences in my life. The instructional staff for the most part was top-notch, though near the end of the course a few instructors gave the impression they would rather be anywhere but there. By and large, though, the staff were always friendly and helpful and would usually go out of their way to find resources to further explain some of the harder concepts. The curriculum itself is intense and does not stop.  There were little if any opportunities to not give it 100% throughout the 24-week online course. The use of spaced repetition throughout the course would often give glimmers of hope as I would somehow be able to recall and apply a concept that absolutely baffled me a few weeks earlier. Coming out of the course I am quite confident in my abilities as a software developer.  If you're looking to kickstart your career and are driven to succeed I would consider this program.  The pros far outweigh the cons and if you're willing to put in the work, you walk away with the potential of earning 6 figures right out the gate.
  • Software Engineer
    - 8/25/2021
    James Daniel  User Photo
    James Daniel • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I can't say enough about this program. I went in confident in myself, but not confident in what I could offer a future employer. I was always nervous about what to say during an interview and what would impress the interviewers. Now I have viable skills that are in demand and that pays well. I would first say, that anyone thinking about attending this boot camp should enjoy solving problems, and shouldn't get so frustrated that you stop trying to solve them. This program takes perseverance and a strong will and the ability to work well with others, because I promise you, getting through the program with cohort mates is what makes it all possible in my opinion. Being able to talk about the topics we learned and hear them repeated back to us through study groups helped me feel really confident in the material right away. If you've thought about a coding boot camp or have a knack for solving problems and are dedicated to honing that skill, trust that App Academy will give teach you how to become a full stack engineer and break into the competitive job market.
  • Worth it
    - 8/25/2021
    Gary  User Photo
    Gary • Verified via LinkedIn
    Going to app academy is worth it clear and simple. you get all the knowledge you need to get started in tech and you dont pay a dime till you get hired, the bads are there is a  big cheating problem and if you get stuck with one in a group project or like me and you get TWO, it makes your life that much more stressful.
  • Worth It!
    - 8/10/2021
    Alexandra B.  User Photo
    Alexandra B. • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I recommend App Academy for anyone who wants to add skills to their belt. It’s a rigorous program, and it gave me the lessons and experience I need to build full-stack web applications.
  • Noah Carmichael-Hitsman  User Photo
    Noah Carmichael-Hitsman • Full-Stack Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I was here 7 months ago, in a very similar situation and you probably are. I looked up the best Online Bootcamps and the name App Academy kept coming up. I decided to look for into it, into reviews people had left, and did general research on it for weeks. After speaking with a few alumni, I decided to take the plunge! I absolutely loved it! It was a very fun and intense course! I know so much more than I did 6 months ago, I cant even describe it. If you are on the edge, I 100% recommend App Academy! If you have any burning questions feel free to look me up on LinkedIn and I will do my best to answer any questions, pay it forward and what not!
  • Great Program!
    - 7/27/2021
    Jacob Leonhardt  User Photo
    Jacob Leonhardt • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently graduated from App Academy’s 24 week online program, and it was fantastic! The curriculum was informative, the instructors and TAs were knowledgeable and friendly, and the culture of my cohort was great!! I now understand so much more about web applications and how the internet works, and I have gained experience working on full-stack projects. I’m currently in the process of working with the career services / post-graduation side of App Academy, and I appreciate that their instruction and provided materials continue on past the technical learning portion of the program - they don’t just throw you out after graduation! My experience with App Academy has been amazing, and I highly recommend them!
  • Miguel Flores  User Photo
    Miguel Flores • Full-Stack Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The experience was great, I'm already getting bites for multiple interviews a week after graduation.

It would be unfit for me to say that this wasn't in part due to my previous engineering experience in the Mechanical Engineer field.
    The average span from graduation to a job offer is 6 months and many of my fellow graduates with no prior work experience are still struggling to get interviews.

Nevertheless, App Academy does a great job of guiding their graduates with the best job search practices, and even finds internal referrals with partnering companies a couple of times per week.

With the ISA Plan, they dony get their money until you do, that is what ultimately convinced me to choose them as my coding camp and it haws not failed me to this day.
  • Steve Guttbinder  User Photo
    Steve Guttbinder • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I know there are a lot of reviews here that speak to the curriculum, work, hours needed, and tools used by App Academy to teach their curriculum. In a nutshell... The program is amazing. The work is hard. There is never enough time. You’ll meet amazing people and build an awesome network.  The TAs are what you are really paying for and are great. The intent behind their propriety tools (that are a WIP) can be clearly seen and it’s got a bright future. The online course is best for individuals that have other responsibilities and being in person has the added value of others being in the room to help motivate you to get the work done.

The only thing I will harp on is that their current communication tools used for peer and TA chats are in rough shape. The folks who started the program didn’t know how big it would get and initially invested in Slack… which if you ask any current employee at a/A is the bane of their App Academy existence. Because a/A leaves their Slack channel open to Alumni (great intent!), the amount of users has grown to a point where it wouldn’t make financial sense to pay monthly per user (didn’t think about scale from the get go). From a business perspective, I agree that it would be a poor decision to pay monthly and it’s a band aid solution for now… but from a student perspective this was one of the biggest resource failures in the course as I have no history of chats from TAs or colleagues from as little as just 3 days ago. I understand the current situation and I also implore App Academy to find a more permanent solution ASAP. Having gone through the course and used many different comm tools in my career… I can’t tell you  how many question threads were posted in Slack… and if it’s one thing slack is terrible at it’s threading conversations.

All that being said… I’ll focus on the Parent perspective below.

Firstly… parents take the one online course. It the only option that gives you the flexibility to be with your family if an emergency arises.  I’ll also say that if you are a single parent with 100% physical custody and don’t have support to help watch your children… this program is probably not for you. Emphasis on ‘single parent’ and the requirements needed to be the superhuman you already are. There is a high probability that you will fail out of the program or stretch yourself too thin to be able to take care of, let alone spend time with your kid(s).

IMO you will NEED support from your partner/support network for childcare. In fact, I’d start budgeting for the best “Thank You” gift you can think of before you even start the program. The balance is critical and allows for you to complete the program and spend quality time with your kids.

If you have a partner in house to help… I’d be very clear about setting the expectation that they will become the primary caregiver, with you seeing your kids for meals and weekends. Did I mention you’re going to have to REALLY say thank you to your partner for helping out as much as he/she will?

If you have a joint custody agreement… I advise trying to switch to a schedule where you get your kids on Friday and Saturday only. Saturday is the only day of the week where NOTHING is App Academy related. On Sundays you’ll be studying for your assessments.

To end on a brighter note… I’m proof that it could be done. I had my kiddo on Thursday Night, Friday Morning and Night, and Saturday Morning… and it was doable. Barely… but doable. In fact, I had to project defer over Spring Break (which happens to coincidentally have been my project week) so that I would be able to show up for my family. Parenting and doing this program definitely tops the list of one of the hardest things that I’ve ever had to do.

There’s also a great a/A Parent group that’s really helpful for support. They meet every two weeks or so. I highly suggest joining and even more so, suggest practicing to reach out to these peers because they are the only ones who can truly understand what it means to be a parent.

Hope all that helps! In the end, I DO recommend App Academy. My gut says that it will only get better as they learn and time goes on. Good luck!