app-academy-logo

App Academy

New York City, Online, San Francisco

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (1081) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • David Zheng  User Photo
    David Zheng • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy was a great experience to behold. Coming from a background in accounting, I had little experience in coding but I was capable of learn multiple languages and how to code in just a short time span of 3 months. App Academy had attentive instructors who really cares about the students and were welcoming and helpful. They have an exquisite curriculum  and many materials to learn. The students and colleagues were also fantastic and I am happy that I met them. Overall I would recommend anyone who wants to apply for this great experience.
  • Tom Leslie Li  User Photo
    Tom Leslie Li • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As someone with zero background with software engineering / coding, I thoroughly enjoyed and learned a lot from their well-crafted curriculum. The course is quite rigorous, and the instructors are super attentive. Everybody is super welcoming and willing to help one another out - instructors and students alike. I look forward to the job search and applying the skills that I have acquired over the last few months.
  • Nikhil Kumar  User Photo
    Nikhil Kumar • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The instructors explained lectures in a timely and orderly fashion. The curriculum was well-crafted by team of highly-respected professionals. Every day, I could not have been more excited to arrive to App Academy, as the lectures were paced appropriately and staff were welcoming. Learning how to be a full-stack engineer was amazing. Meeting great colleagues was enjoyable. At anytime, I could always ask staff for help, as I looked up to them. It was my honor to be here. I'd like to thank the team at App Academy for bringing lots of great experiences.
  • Software Engineer
    - 7/12/2022
    Mason Taylor  User Photo
    Mason Taylor • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy was an incredible experience, start to finish. The staff did an amazing job teaching me completely new things I had not learned prior. Every day was something new and there was plenty of chances to practice all of the material. I highly recommend this program to anyone scratching the surface of the coding world!
  • Cody Degraffe-Niles  User Photo
    Cody Degraffe-Niles • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Disclaimer: I did the 16 week program, but it was online rather than in person due to Covid.

For me, App Academy was a great experience. From great instructors to amazing cohort mates, the people are what made the journey fun and enjoyable. When I started, I expected to be pretty much isolated from the rest of the world for 4 months coding. However, App Academy's friendly instructors and my fellow cohort mates made the physical isolation feel like nothing as I would log in every day looking forward to talking and learning to code with them. The course, while challenging (I put in 70-80 hours a week), was fair and the material was taught in a clear, step-wise manner that allowed for ideas to reinforce each other day after day. I know some people do not like it, but I enjoyed learning Ruby over Python and many jobs that I applied to did not care that I knew Ruby as compared to Python or Java as long as I showed a willingness to learn the other language. After my graduation was where I thought I got the most bang for my buck. My career coach, who held weekly 1 on 1's with me and was responsive to my many questions, gave me wonderful and insightful advice to clean up job application materials as well as how to properly prepare for interviews. That advice resulted in me being offered three software engineering jobs within 2 months of graduating with one being over 100k.

The con of App Academy is pretty much the cost, as its deferred cost is more than other programs deferred costs. But with how quickly i got a job, I am not complaining!

I can without hesitation recommend the App Academy program to those who are looking to enter tech from a non-tech background.
  • Tristan Huckabee  User Photo
    Tristan Huckabee • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I enrolled in the Fullstack Online Immersive 24-Week program in December 2021 and graduated 2022. My time at app academy was full of interesting and compassionate people that really understood the material and weren't afraid to tell me what was need to grow. My only regret is going online!
  • Alan Yueh  User Photo
    Alan Yueh • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the 16 week App Academy program starting in December and graduated in April. I started with a little bit of knowledge on coding. However, the course progressed very quickly through that. While it may feel overwhelming at times, the TAs were super helpful and always available to help. The assessments aren't terribly difficult, but definitely need to be studied for. My fellow classmates were great people and willing to help. A majority of the class was spent learning Rails, Javascript, and React to build 3 projects. These projects really gave the sense of progression as everything you learn in class comes together. The only gripes about the curriculum are that React hooks are not taught and I believe Python would have been preferred over Ruby.

Post graduation, the job search support has also been great. Coaches are always available even when they're not even assigned to you! The support network has been great and I'm looking forward to the future!
  • Sharon Fang  User Photo
    Sharon Fang • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Finding self studying hard? Don't know where to start with coding? A bootcamp may be for you! App Academy has an amazing support system, whether it be the mod leads, the TAs, to your own cohort mates. It is fast-paced though, and if you don't study or do the homework, you will fall behind. It's for your own benefit, anyways! Now that I'm in job search, I can full-heartedly say that my career coach is absolutely amazing and super helpful. A tip I would give is to start practicing DS&A problems halfway through the bootcamp on your own so you don't have to stress about it as much like I am right now after the bootcamp. This bootcamp give you amazing pair programming experiences to talk about, and also group projects and solo projects for your portfolio. If I could do it again, I would, and I would start doing one DS&A problem every day or every other day or something.. starting from week 7 probably. I would definitely recommend App Academy though!
  • Johnny San  User Photo
    Johnny San • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I completed the 24 week software engineering online program.  It was hard, but if you do the homework and study the practice assessments you will be fine.  It was quite a ride, and there were times when I wanted to give up, but I got through it and now am in the job search portion of the program.  App Academy teaches you how to learn effectively and efficiently.  We had one week where we learned python and then two weeks later we built a full stack app using a python backend.

Overall I would recommend App Academy.
  • Will K.  User Photo
    Will K. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have just graduated from the 24-week online software engineering bootcamp. It is a very fast-paced and intensive program but also very rewarding because of all the information that you learn. No prior experience is required. Toward the latter half of the program, we build a total of 4 full-stack projects using languages such as JavaScript, React, and Redux to name a few. The TAs are very helpful as well and want you to succeed.
  • Great service
    - 5/5/2022
    Rempel Jody  User Photo
    Rempel Jody • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I am a graduate student here. I have had great experiences here. The teachers have a lot of experience in teaching and have a wide understanding. They are also very enthusiastic to answer and guide me when I ask questions. I also appreciate the teaching method, I feel that the method of teaching knowledge is quite easy to understand and remember for a long time. We also participate in regular extracurricular activities to deepen our understanding of the knowledge being taught. I feel very fortunate to know and experience the teaching service here. https://krunkerio.io
  • Brandon Copeland  User Photo
    Brandon Copeland • Verified via LinkedIn
    The course is very intense, and requires you to learn a lot in a short time. If you are the type of person who can lock in and persevere through any obstacle, this is definitely for you. You don't need any prior knowledge, I came in directly from working in a lab with a chemistry background. Everything you need to know, they will teach you, and plenty of help from instructors are provided. However, I definitely recommend, more prep is always best. Also, before starting this journey, please ensure you are financially ready. Though the course is 6 months, it can easily turn into a year. Timeline varies for everyone, if you defer multiple times, or how long the job search lasts for you. Don't be ashamed of deferring, people who were smarter than I deferred, which is why you should plan for it, if taking this course. From this point on, you must plan for any scenario in your life. This will make you a better coder, and person. I definitely would do this course again, and recommend it to those with a creative, and problem solving mind. I wish I would have done something like this sooner.