app-academy-logo

App Academy

New York City, Online, San Francisco

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (1053) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Johnny San  User Photo
    Johnny San • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I completed the 24 week software engineering online program.  It was hard, but if you do the homework and study the practice assessments you will be fine.  It was quite a ride, and there were times when I wanted to give up, but I got through it and now am in the job search portion of the program.  App Academy teaches you how to learn effectively and efficiently.  We had one week where we learned python and then two weeks later we built a full stack app using a python backend.

Overall I would recommend App Academy.
  • Will K.  User Photo
    Will K. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have just graduated from the 24-week online software engineering bootcamp. It is a very fast-paced and intensive program but also very rewarding because of all the information that you learn. No prior experience is required. Toward the latter half of the program, we build a total of 4 full-stack projects using languages such as JavaScript, React, and Redux to name a few. The TAs are very helpful as well and want you to succeed.
  • Great service
    - 5/5/2022
    Rempel Jody  User Photo
    Rempel Jody • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I am a graduate student here. I have had great experiences here. The teachers have a lot of experience in teaching and have a wide understanding. They are also very enthusiastic to answer and guide me when I ask questions. I also appreciate the teaching method, I feel that the method of teaching knowledge is quite easy to understand and remember for a long time. We also participate in regular extracurricular activities to deepen our understanding of the knowledge being taught. I feel very fortunate to know and experience the teaching service here. https://krunkerio.io
  • Brandon Copeland  User Photo
    Brandon Copeland • Verified via LinkedIn
    The course is very intense, and requires you to learn a lot in a short time. If you are the type of person who can lock in and persevere through any obstacle, this is definitely for you. You don't need any prior knowledge, I came in directly from working in a lab with a chemistry background. Everything you need to know, they will teach you, and plenty of help from instructors are provided. However, I definitely recommend, more prep is always best. Also, before starting this journey, please ensure you are financially ready. Though the course is 6 months, it can easily turn into a year. Timeline varies for everyone, if you defer multiple times, or how long the job search lasts for you. Don't be ashamed of deferring, people who were smarter than I deferred, which is why you should plan for it, if taking this course. From this point on, you must plan for any scenario in your life. This will make you a better coder, and person. I definitely would do this course again, and recommend it to those with a creative, and problem solving mind. I wish I would have done something like this sooner.
  • Nick Pietrow  User Photo
    Nick Pietrow • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    After much deliberation between going the self-taught route versus attending a bootcamp, I enrolled in the 16-week online program focused on Javascript and Ruby on Rails. Without a doubt, attending App Academy has been one of the best decisions of my life. Attending the program gives you a support network of TAs and peers who are with you each step of the way to keep you motivated and to hold you accountable, which is something I would have missed had I decided to teach myself to code. Who knows how long the projects would have taken me to complete had I decided to try to code for X or Y hours each day? The coursework is challenging and for the most part is very hands-off - you get out what you put in. I still recall one review of App Academy that I saw before attending and the punchline read something like "Sure you could teach your self to code, but who knows how long that will take. You'd probably get a job and start making money 1/4 of a year earlier with A/a which would offset the cost of the program very quickly."
  • Great experience
    - 4/25/2022
    Jonathan Wong  User Photo
    Jonathan Wong • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Going through the 16 week course was a ton of fun, I've made some amazing friendships that might last my entire life. The curriculum is very loose, almost self-guided, but the way it's structured inspires creative and innovative thinking, and teaches you good programming habits and problem solving processes.
    You have to put in a lot of your own work, and the curriculum does not really teach you as much as you would teach yourself through being hands-on and introspective during the process. The guidance is really loose, but it really helps you understand the depth of the concepts at hand.
  • harsha  User Photo
    harsha Verified via GitHub
    Attended App Academy's 16 week hybrid bootcamp option (now available in-person rather than online). Overall enjoyed the program and feel as though it prepared me well. The curriculum does facilitate your learning and help you pick up more skills on your own after your studies are done.

Pros:
    - Really good instructors (at least for my cohort - Darren/Spencer/Diego were amazing teachers)
    - Short timeframe to gain the necessary skills/experience
    - Good project experience to fill out resume and give real world examples of programming
    - Got a lot of pair programming experience
    - Good partnership opportunities with certain companies (including some FAANG level opportunities)
    - Strong sense of community with your cohort

Cons:
    - Some of the curriculum is a little outdated (specifically the React portion could be better). You should 100% learn React hooks after the cohort ends to be ready for frontend interviews (or even before if you feel ambitious).
    - Homework/instructional videos start out quite good and get to be lower quality towards the end of the course
    - Advanced data structures and algorithms are mostly just touched upon briefly and not covered in depth, so you'll need to learn them on your own
    - JavaScript is the language you'll feel strongest in by the end of the program, and it's not ideal to interview in. Ruby is also taught but you won't be using it too actively post week 8 aside from the full stack project, but a lot of companies do not interview in Ruby
    - After the instruction ends, there are a lot of boilerplate meetings you'll need to go to for the career quest which will slow down your study of data structures and algorithms. If you want to be strong at this, you'll need to really study hard and not take it easy despite graduation

While I did list several cons, all of these can be nullified by having a strong work ethic and learning on your own. If you're motivated to do well and want to take a career change seriously, App Academy provides a really good foundation and I would recommend it a lot.
  • Highly recommended
    - 3/24/2022
    Kirti  User Photo
    Kirti • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a really great experience at App Academy. I attended 16 weeks Full Stack Software Engineering program. Due to the pandemic, it was online. I started with basic knowledge of programming. I remember I used to struggle with loops and variables when I started the Bootcamp, but in the end, I was able to create a full-stack single-page web application. App Academy's course structure is perfect, it starts with basics and ramp-up to an advanced level. Before starting the Bootcamp you don't have to have previous knowledge of programming, but if you do, it's a plus because it is a fast-paced Bootcamp. The First 2 weeks of the course are the basics of ruby, and there are no lectures, so you have to study by yourself but the TAs are always there to help. After 2 weeks, there are lectures in the morning and pair boarding in the afternoon.
    I really enjoyed pair boarding, it does improve your social skills and prepare you for the work environment and job interviews, plus you get to learn a lot from your fellow students. I had an amazing team of TAs, they were always ready to help and teach new things. They are also app academy graduates, so you get to learn a lot from their experiences. After graduation, the app academy assigns you to a coach who helps in the job search and prepares you for the job interviews, whether it be technical interviews or behavioral interviews. I highly recommend people to join App Academy if you want to start a career in the software engineering field.
  • Jordan Bohmbach  User Photo
    Jordan Bohmbach • Junior Full Stack Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy was 6 months of intense study in full-stack web development. I did the online 24 week program and my background was in electrical engineering beforehand but there were plenty of good developers in my cohort who were not from a technical background. The best part of app academy is having the group of people all studying together trying to pick up new skills quickly. We pair programmed for 4 to 6 hours per day and worked on solo and group projects. The really big advantage of doing app academy over self-study is that you have TAs there live with you and you can ask questions and get help on the spot. The program was lot of work, I would say that it is about the equivalent of working a full-time job and then taking classes in the evening. You are online for the length of a full-time job and then you have a few hours of homework every night. Our cohort started with about 85 people and i think only about 20 or 25 of us made it all the way through so it is definitely difficult. The other really nice thing about app academy is the partnership companies. They were really helpful with the job search and I got a few different offers and a great developer role within a few months of graduating.
  • Caroline S.  User Photo
    Caroline S. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I started off with no coding experience prior to App Academy and at the end of the 24 weeks I felt confident in my abilities to break into the field of software engineering. It definitely wasn't easy, those 60 - 80+ hour weeks they tell you about are true, but with perseverance and hard work it's worth it. I had a great team of instructors and TAs who were patient, knowledgeable, and understood the struggles I was going through. The learning styling during some of the curriculum changed during my time at a/A to the flipped classroom style, which was tough to adjust to, but I eventually saw the benefits of the struggle of problem solving first before lecture. Though at times it was frustrating, I feel like it made me a better problem solver and a stronger developer. After graduating, the career coaching team has been phenomenal at supporting me with the job search so far and I'm looking forward to landing my first job as a SWE. If you're thinking about switching careers and applying to a/A just do it, you never know where life will take you!
  • 24 Week Program
    - 1/26/2022
    Ethan Harwell  User Photo
    Ethan Harwell • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended App Academy's 24-week program, and it was the best decision I have ever made! I will not lie, it was not easy with the weekly assessments, 70-80 hour weeks, and projects. However, I learned very valuable skills such as Python and Javascript. Towards the back half of the program, we began building full-stack projects to help us gain experience and to put on our resumé. After graduation, you get assigned a career coach whose job is to make sure you get a job, which is the main reason why I personally chose App Academy over other boot camps.
  • Ayla  User Photo
    Ayla • Full Stack Engineer • Verified via LinkedIn
    This program was one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences I've been through. Coming from an Entertainment & Music Industry background I hadn't coded much prior. The pace of the material kept me on my toes throughout the course. However, there is a beauty in their curriculum style and teaching methods, from the start they instill the kind of self-reliance that it takes to solve real-world problems on the job. The pair programming was a great way to take in the material, learn to work with all types of people, and make friends. I would say it's really important to make friends and study with other students, that is probably what helped me most when I was struggling was the support system I created there. The teachers are amazing and really go above and beyond.

Another part of the course I rarely see mentioned by other reviewers is the Career Quest portion for 3 months following completion. The resume, portfolio, learning session, and partnership resources are really what sets App Academy apart. I was super impressed with the job support and career coaches.

If you're considering a Bootcamp,  App Academy is stellar!