grand-circus-logo

Grand Circus

Grand Circus

Grand Circus is an online learning institute offering 14-week full-time and 28-week part-time software developer bootcamps based in Detroit, Michigan. Students can choose between coding bootcamps covering Full Stack JavaScript or Full Stack C#/.Net. In addition to the coding bootcamps, Grand Circus connects the region’s employers with tech talent, and offers advanced workshops, and reskilling and upskilling solutions for companies of all sizes. Workshops include introductions to coding, front end, back end, and web development fundamentals. Grand Circus instructors are experienced professionals, and focus on training students with relevant, project-based instruction that delivers real-world experience.

The mission of Grand Circus is to make a tech career universally accessible. Since launching in 2013, Grand Circus has maintained partnerships with big tech and local government entities to ensure that students are receiving the latest, most advanced training. Grand Circus helps students develop interview skills and soft skills, and organizes networking events to introduce students to employers. To date, more than 1,600 bootcamp graduates now work at over 350 companies across the Detroit-area. Grand Circus is one of ten Google for Startup North America tech hubs, and partners with Facebook, Detroit at Work, TekSystems, the Grand Rapids SmartZone, and Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation to provide a mix of funding and programming.

Although no coding experience is required to attend Grand Circus coding bootcamps, students must be intelligent, tenacious, resourceful, hardworking, self-motivated, and committed. Students should know how to work with programs like Google Drive and Microsoft Office. To apply, candidates complete an online application form, followed by an interview with Grand Circus. Once admitted, students will need to complete a 2-week, online pre-course before the start of the bootcamp. Students will receive a certificate of completion upon graduation.

Recent Grand Circus Reviews: Rating 4.36

all (50) reviews for Grand Circus →

Recent Grand Circus News

Read all (18) articles about Grand Circus →
  • Full Stack C# .NET Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, Data Visualization, CSS, Data Structures, Ruby, SQL
    Location-
    Launch your tech career–and salary–by standing out among junior developers and other bootcamp grads. The Full Stack C# .NET Bootcamp is a live, online 14-week program. Full stack bootcamps give you the ability to work on back-end and front-end projects. This gives you flexibility and marketability as a developer, while still having a niche. Classes are held virtually 9-5pm, Monday through Friday, and are comprised of group projects, lab time, and time to troubleshoot individually.
     Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit and Vemo
    Scholarship$1,750 scholarship for veterans, women, and anyone who is a part of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in tech. 50% COVID-19 Relief Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelWe ask that our students exhibit a growth mindset, accountability, and autonomy. We offer workshops to help students prepare technically.
    Prep WorkUnit 1 must be completed at home and passed successfully prior to the bootcamp start date.
  • Full-Stack C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp

AngularJS, HTML, Git, C#, .NET, Data Visualization, CSS, Data Structures
    Location-
    The after-hours C# .NET bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twenty-six weeks of intensive technical and career readiness training. .NET Core is a programming framework used in enterprise development around the world that’s heavily integrated with the C# language. This programming language is highly in demand throughout Michigan and beyond. This After-Hours Bootcamp is a 26-week program, this includes two weeks of mandatory at-home work we call Unit One. Classes are hosted three evenings a week - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - from 6:30-10pm.
    Deposit$100.00
    Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
  • Full Stack JavaScript After-Hours Bootcamp

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End, Agile
    Location-
    Launch your tech career–and salary–by standing out among junior developers and other bootcamp grads. The Full Stack JavaScript Bootcamp is a live, online 14-week program. Start your career in just 3 months! Full stack bootcamps give you the ability to work on back-end and front-end projects. This gives you flexibility and marketability as a developer, while still having a niche. Classes are held virtually 9-5pm, Monday through Friday and are comprised of group projects, lab time, and time to troubleshoot individually.
  • FUll Stack JavaScript Bootcamp

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Front End, Agile
    Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit and Vemo
    ScholarshipAutomatic $1,750 scholarship for veterans, women, and anyone who is a part of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in tech.
    Prep WorkUnit 1 must be completed at home and passed successfully prior to bootcamp start date.

• $500 Grand Circus Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Grand Circus scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full-Stack C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • Full Stack C# .NET Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • Full Stack JavaScript After-Hours Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • FUll Stack JavaScript Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • All courses in Detroit
    • Full-Stack C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • Full Stack C# .NET Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • Full Stack JavaScript After-Hours Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • FUll Stack JavaScript Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
  • William Craft  User Photo
    William Craft • Technology Apprentice • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    #1 advice I can give as a graduate is in order to get the most out of Grand Circus, you have to put in the effort and take initiative.

Overall a solid experience though, I had unfortunately started my bootcamp during the pandemic so there was a little disconnect with going virtual. Otherwise, the instructors I had were the best, they're genuinely cared about us and were willing to help even outside of class on their own time. In terms of curriculum it was pretty current technology we were learning but there were some missing such as Bootstrap and React, maybe they're now a part of the curriculum but they weren't there when I was there. Keep in mind it's called a bootcamp for a reason, it is tough and while I had prior coding experience going in, it was an overall challenge but not impossible. Even without coding experience it's doable, don't let that stop you from doing it. You're not alone!

In terms of Career Services, they were very helpful but also super helpful was the community slack channel as well. Career Services would post job listings on the channel and any fellow alum would do the same but outside of that it was your responsibility of applying and network to the right people. that being said, the people at Career Services helped out big time. They were available to answer my questions and throughout the bootcamp we had soft skill sessions for important topics such as LinkedIn profile management, elevator pitches and networking, even down to helping us prepare for interviews via guidelines and mock interviews. I even found my current job thanks to their tips(and a posting they actually put on the channel). Its like one big family and we're all here for each other. Career Services equipped me with the soft skills needed to land my first job in tech, they will provide the tools but what we do with those tools is up to you. Networking is key!

In conclusion, while I can't speak for my peers in my cohort, I had a fantastic experience, I'm still connected with some of my classmates, it was a very tight community and an overall pleasant experience. As stated in the beginning, make sure to continue studying. I cannot stress this enough, self-study is highly encouraged throughout the bootcamp. Keep growing those skills and never be afraid to reach out to the people at GC for help or even just to network. We want to see you succeed and we're here for you.

Key takeaways:
    -Instructors and Tutors were top notch!
    -Curriculum was solid although missing some content.
    -Career Services/Job Assistance was very helpful and a lovely group but more emphasis is placed on the student and their initiative. There could be more than just job postings and the occasional employer visit.
  • Michael Cooper  User Photo
    Michael Cooper • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    They tell you going in that you can get a good paying job coming out, but the best you will do is an internship, likely unpaid.  They make a huge deal about the final project and demo day, but not a single employer showed up to see any of the projects we spent weeks on.
  • Ryan  User Photo
    Ryan • Unemployed • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This program is not worth the 11k or whatever tuition is up to now. Can you learn the basics of coding during this class? Yes. Are any of the other things they boast or advertise about true? No. ~90% job placement? No, first of the fine print there is within something like 6 months and second there is no placement you are essentially on your own getting a job. They make blanket statements that they don't expect to get responses to, such as, "if you have 30+ applications out and haven't heard back positively contact one of our career services team members and we'll try and help figure out what we can do to help" so I reach out and say I have 30+ applications and have maybe 6 automated rejection letters and nothing else. Their response, "oh well, we consider rejection letters a positive contact and 6 out of 30+ is within our expectations". So, they did nothing and that was the end of that. They estimate they have 60 students total each quarter, plus maybe 10-15 in the after hours half year program. On top of that they rent out the second floor to very small business for co-work space. Tuition is ~10k, multiply that by 60 students and in one quarter without rented space or after hours programs or the weekend seminars you make 600k a quarter, and they make their TA's contract workers making 15/hr without benefits, or if they want benefits it ends up being something like 11-12/hr. Yet, advertisment says average salary for people coming out of the program is 50-60k. I can't imagine teachers get paid much better, since I found out at the end of my time there that, one year prior my teacher had been the TA, and one year prior to that she had been a student sitting where I had been sitting. They obviously aren't paying well enough to keep high quality instructors with years of experience, so I ask where does all that money go? It's a good question for CEO and Founder Damien Rocchi, because he certainly seems to be living large. A huge ad campaign for GC is helping diversify tech by getting minorities into the tech field. Most of my class and the other full time classes were Caucasian. If the goal was to make this accessible you would make choices that would bring cost down. I can only imagine that they space they occupy across from Grand Circus park in Detroit, is insanely expensive, easy way to bring down cost? Move to Southfield or oak park, other areas with high minority population, but a fraction of the cost for space. Too many things added up through this program to me to think of it as anything more than a scam. Don't waste your money, you can pay maybe 1k for an all online course to teach yourself with guidance from a TA or proctor. With GC's policy of "ask Google" you're basically going to be doing the same thing either way, just one costs less and doesn't make false promises, or fake rationales for policies.
  • GRAND Circus
    - 4/3/2020
    Tristan Cotter  User Photo
    Tristan Cotter • Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    An extremely useful and helpful bootcamp. Instructors and Career people knew what their stuff, and were always willing to help, be it with a bit of code or an interview. Career people have an interest in seeing you land that position and stay in touch after everything has come to a close, offering tips, interview help and pointing you in the direction of open positions.
  • Chris  User Photo
    Chris • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated from Grand Circus in September 2019. I did the full time Java Bootcamp. I was working close by and saw they had an intro to coding class so I took it. Afterwards I thought this could be something I could see myself me doing. I took a weekend Java workshop at Grand Circus just to be sure, and after thought I am definitely all in. I knew that I needed to make a change in my life I was bouncing around job to job and not really using my degree. I was intimidated at first, but Grand Circus helped me understand the material. The instructor was the best. I am working as currently a Quality Engineer in Ann Arbor. I would go into this knowing that you will have to work hard (not just as coding but with teamwork and communication), and know that you will always have to keep learning even after. I am happy with my experience.
  • Cam Couch  User Photo
    Cam Couch • Implementation Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am 30, I hold a bachelors in business, and have +10 years of management experience.

I coded as a hobby, and believed that I could make a living doing it.

Grand Circus was an amazing experience. It felt like a great work/learning environment, mixed in with a group of learners from different backgrounds that you quickly become close with.

If you are making the financial investment, ensure that you are ready to do what needs to be done to succeed. Slacking shouldn’t be in your vocabulary. You can’t have a victim mentality.

My instructor and TA were very down to earth and helpful. The rest of the staff provide a comfortable atmosphere and a home away from home.

In my experience, no entry level positions were looking for AngularJS experience, so I do hope that the curriculum adjusts to React/Vue/Angular 7 quickly. I know my instructor was making the case for adding A7 to the main curriculum.

I was able to find meaningful employment within 3 weeks of graduating from the Front End bootcamp.

I do recommend looking at what jobs are most plentiful, mixed in with what you actually want to do for work. You don’t want to go on a learning path that won’t be fruitful.

Words of wisdom. Be engaged, be early, swallow your pride, prep your loved ones, do meaningful job research, practice self efficacy, CODE CODE CODE.

• Kristy  User Photo
    Kristy • Software Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Going to Grand Circus was one of the best choices I have made in my adult life. I went from staying at home with my kids to working as a software developer. I attended the after hours .Net/C# program.

The classes were excellent and prepared me for my first job. Our instructor worked as a senior architect during the day, so he knew what was going on in industry and expected a lot of us. There is a lot of work required outside classroom hours and a lot of independent research needed. GC will help you, but students had to really put the effort in to succeed.

The biggest positive about GC is the career network. There are a ton of alumni who want to help and career services actively goes out and talks to employers about the program and students. I actually got my first position through a connection I made there.

I'd highly recommend going to check out the school or talking to alumni, it was a great move for me.

• Software Developer
    - 3/11/2019
    Gabrielle Blackman  User Photo
    Gabrielle Blackman • Cloud System Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had an awesome experience with Grand Circus Detroit. I attended and graduated from the Java Bootcamp in September 2017. My teacher was Peter Guenther and my TA Alexandra Born were awesome in helping with understanding core Java principles and with working with me on projects. I came to Grand Circus with minimal front-end experience and they pushed me to have an open mindset to challenge myself to become a back-end developer.  Grand Circus gives you all the soft skills you need to achieve any job in Software Development. Cody Grant was awesome with his job skill trainings and giving different approaches with interviews. My program manager Charlene Donelson was one of the most awesome, dynamic people I worked with and she encourages you that no matter what, YOU CAN achieve anything you want with dedication.  Last but not least Kim Driscoll our Director of Learning was full of life and great energy to help you through those long days of learning and coding!!! In Conclusion, I LOVE GRAND CIRCUS!!! GC MADE ME WHO I AM TODAY!!

• Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had a fantastic experience with Grand Circus. I completed the Java full-time bootcamp in 2018. If you’re looking to make a career change, GC can make it happen. I had little coding experience going in (had been through a few online tutorials), but the curriculum at GC is designed to give you everything you need, not just to learn how to code, but how to handle the emotional ups and downs, and how to eventually find a job. For me personally, it was a lot of hard work, but absolutely worth it.

Some details: The instructors are great! They are friendly, supportive, work really hard, and are great at what they do. The staff is welcoming and fun. GC felt like more than just a class, it’s a community you can become a part of. It’s also great to belong to a cohort of students, a chance to meet lots of good people and form friendships, and be able to learn from each other.

In addition to programming skills, GC offers additional guidance, including how to find the right jobs, how to apply, and how to interview. GC has a great asset in Cody Grant, who was really helpful with all of these essential extra-curriculars. They bring in employers for you to meet and host events where you can meet alumni. GC is a community with a lot of knowledge and a lot of enthusiasm, and you just have to remember to take advantage of it. This is the kind of thing where you get out what you put in. There are a good deal of resources made available to you, but you have to be active, take ownership of your education and your career transition.

The experience can be intense, intellectually and emotionally. For me, it was long hours, and I was fortunate to have a spouse who supported me. You learn a lot in a short amount of time. You really need to have a growth mindset, be able to endure those moments of self-doubt and feeling totally lost, and be able to keep going. And then you’ll surprise yourself, you will push through, and you’ll feel amazing.

The time-to-employment part varies, and depends on luck and timing and finding the right fit, but that’s the case with any endeavor. I was able to get a job about 6 weeks after camp ended, and not just any job, but a job that I love. To me, that’s remarkable, and I feel grateful to everyone at GC for making it happen.

• Zaineb  User Photo
    Zaineb • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I loved every aspect of my Bootcamp experience, and would recommend Grand Circus to anyone who has interest in software development. Everyone on the Grand Circus staff team is amazing at their job. They are incredibly passionate, knowledgeable, and supportive. They are always looking out for their students best interest,  and they treat you like family.

The instructors and teaching assistants are extremely knowledgeable and willing to help all students to reach their goals.

In addition to the technical training, we had soft skills training helped us to create a better resume, LinkedIn and improve our interview skills.

I liked the weekly surveies they gave us, and how they take actions on the feedback they recieve. They always enhance the program for the best results for the students.

The Bootcamp was a wonderful experience, and I am so glad I did it. I'll start my new job on Monday!

• James Jackson  User Photo
    James Jackson • Jr Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hey, my name is James Jackson, I graduated the q1 full-time asp.net boot camp and I just wanted to share my experience.  first of all, I came into this boot camp with plenty of programming knowledge, I taught myself front-end technologies for the past 6 months before joining this boot camp.  that being said I still felt like on the education front, my teacher did a good job keeping me challenged.  we would start the day 9 am, do some class code review then learn a new topic then we were pretty much left to code and talk about our code the next day.

Personally, the most challenging part of the boot camp for was the soft skills, so on one side we had technical, where we would learn to code and improve our skills, and on the other, soft skills.  So soft skills are just the idea of being able to communicate effectively with your teammates/co-workers and well anyone really. We also learned how to market ourselves as professional developers and mingle at meet up events.  This was difficult because coming into this boot camp I was pretty new to this whole shmoozing world.  Overall this part was challenging, but they gave me the skills I needed to land a job after the boot camp.  I start my first job as a jr intern developer at Quicken Loans April 23rd, 2018 and honestly, I owe to the opportunity offered by Grand Circus.

• Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Mobile Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Grand Circus was an incredible experience where I picked up innumerable technical and life skills. The crew at Grand Circus go over and beyond to make sure that you feel comfortable with the material you're learning and provide every thing you may need to be successful in finding your future job.

In addition to the technical training, we also had Soft Skills seminars where we took the time to learn how to present ourselves as practicing professionals covering topics such as linkedin, interviews, resumes, and writing the perfect email.

The most benefical part about Grand Circus was the amount of resources available to us. While we had incredible teachers, great peers to work with, and access to coding meetups in the building, the people at Grand Circus were more than helpful, post-bootcamp and during, to check-in on our job search and forge any connections with potential employers.

I would most definitely reccommend Grand Circus to anyone considering a change.