zip-code-wilmington-logo

Zip Code Wilmington

Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington offers two full-time, 12-week bootcamp programs focused on Java and Data Engineering and Analytics in Wilmington, Delaware. Founded in 2015, Zip Code Wilmington gives students the technical, interpersonal and leadership skills needed to secure a competitive job in technology and increase their earning potential. Students attend classes Monday through Friday and put in between 80-100 hours a week.

The core Java program teaches object-oriented programming, design patterns, Git, test driven development, project management methodologies, and clean coding principles.

Our Data Engineering and Analytics program, launched in March 2020, focuses on data engineering methods and processes, database setup, and R programming with an introduction to Python.

In addition to technical training, over the course of 12 intense weeks, students will participate in professional development workshops which include resume writing, networking and mock interviewing.

Zip Code Wilmington instructors are highly skilled programmers with industry experience building real, scalable software. From startups to Fortune 500’s, Zip Code Wilmington partners with a host of companies in the surrounding area including M&T Bank, JPMorganChase, CSC, Guru and Marlette Funding. After completion of the program, Zip Code Wilmington assists with placing qualified graduates into a full-time role at a partner company.

Zip Code Wilmington looks for passionate self-starters with grit, tenacity and a fierce love of problem-solving. While previous coding experience is not required, we recommend that applicants familiarize themselves with the languages and start preparing early. The admissions  process consists of an online application, timed coding assessment, interactive group activity and in-person interview. Students pay $3,000 once accepted into the program and the remaining balance is paid by corporate partners if hired for a direct-hire job, along with completing 26 work weeks of employment with the company. Zip Code Wilmington offers financial assistance through scholarships and stipends for qualified candidates, including active duty service members, their spouses, reservists and veterans.

Recent Zip Code Wilmington Reviews: Rating 4.93

all (74) reviews for Zip Code Wilmington →

Recent Zip Code Wilmington News

Read all (23) articles about Zip Code Wilmington →
  • Data Engineering & Analytics

R, Python, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Analytics
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit3,000
    ScholarshipZip Code Wilmington offers needs-based scholarships and stipends to income qualifying candidates.
  • Java

Java, AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit$3,000
    Refund / GuaranteeIf the student finishes the course and completes a paid 6 months apprenticeship with one of our partner organizations, the parter organization will cover the remaining $10,000 cost of the students tuition.
    Prep Work80-150 hours
  • Amazing Experience!
    - 10/14/2021
    Jen G  User Photo
    Jen G • Database Administrator • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    To say that Zip Code Wilmington was a life changing experience feels like an understatement. The program is intense, as the word 'bootcamp' suggests, however you will get back every ounce you put into it and then some.

This program teaches you more than just how to code. The faculty (who are all absolutely wonderful) support you with programming fundamentals, professional development, and networking, in addition to teaching you the tools and mindset to become a successful software developer and work on a professional team.

I personally began the program with zero coding experience, so if that's you, please know that you truly do not need experience to succeed. However, you do need the drive and passion to want to make it through all the way. Expect to spend more time coding with your cohort than doing anything else in order to get the most out of this program.

Education-wise, it's the perfect mix of instruction and self-learning, since in the professional world, you'll need to learn most new things on your own. If you think about learning to ride a bike, it was much like that. More guidance towards the beginning while you're still very new and then the instructors slowly take off the training wheels. By the end of the program, I felt like Zip Code gave me the tools that given enough time, I could learn any new programming language or try out any project I wanted to.

For professional skills, they help you with your resume, hold interactive lectures with industry professionals, and prepare you for interviews. Even if you tend to be shy or quiet, this is a very safe space to practice those skills and will help you out immensely in the long run.

Overall, the program is incredibly well-rounded and filled with people who genuinely want to see you succeed. I absolutely cannot recommend it enough.
  • Nathan  User Photo
    Nathan • Student Verified via GitHub
    This coding boot camp is the best one to join in 2021 and beyond. Before joining I did a lot of back ground research on all the coding boot camps available in the tri-state area and I encourage you to do the same. Every other bootcamp I spoke with was trying to hard sell me. They're always saying "dont think about it! put money down and join now before spots run out!". It felt like they're just trying to make a quick buck off of me. Not Zip Code though. The first questions they ask you are "why do you want to do this and why do you think you are the right person for this". This alone sets them apart from the rest because they have certain criterias for who they're looking for because they want to ensure that you're successful once you've joined.

Joining this boot camp was one of the best decisions I ever made. The staffs really care about helping you grow as a person both professionally and coding skill-wise. The program consist of 12 weeks of training and broken down into professional development and coding. The coding portion teaches you the right way to code (yes there are right and wrong ways to code) and many other skills you wouldn't learn in even with 4 year degree from a university -- like how to set up your backend, how to structure data, design patterns, which database to use, frontend, version control, git, how to deploy your application, etc. They give you a ton of projects and labs to put on your resume. The projects are structured to work exactly the way it would if you were at a real job.  The professional development side teaches you how to seek out current professionals in the field and make meaningful connections with them that can lead to future job prospects. We are introduced to top level executives in the field every week to learn about what they're doing, how they got there and how you can get yourself there. The connections that you are exposed to here is priceless in terms of getting your foot in the door with some of the biggest tech and finance companies anywhere.

I began my boot camp in June 2021 and have just graduated in Sept 2021. Full disclosure, this is not something that you can cruise by and expect to be successful. I put in 10-12 hours of work everyday including the weekends and if I had to do it all over, I would. Your success is your own, no one can give it and no one can deny it from you. I am proud and happy to say I landed a high paying job one week before graduating. I also know of other people in my cohort who landed 6 figure jobs as well. If you are trying to make a change in your life and are trying to decide which boot camp to join, look no further, this is the one.
  • Bobbi  User Photo
    Bobbi • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Zip Code Wilmington (ZCW) is an awesome program. They really push you to meet your full potential. The curriculum is well planned  and executed. I think the MOST valuable thing about it is the people. Everyone from the administrators to the instructors really genuinely cares about you and is there to support you along the way. Any program can teach you something but with ZCW they completely have your back and want to see you succeed - you will not find that every where.
  • Review
    - 9/10/2021
    Sean  User Photo
    Sean • Student Verified via GitHub
    Overall had a fantastic time, and learned so much. Great emphasis not only on technical skills but professional development. Would highly recommend.
  • Steffon Williams  User Photo
    Steffon Williams • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My time at Zip Code Wilmington would have definitely been a lot easier if I had some prior coding experience. I found most of the instructors to be unhelpful. Outside of the structured lessons we had each day, the instructors were either unavailable or got annoyed when asked for help. On the other hand, the bootcamp was great at providing job assistance due to partnerships with nearby tech companies . I also got lots of help with resume writing and interviewing tips. I thoroughly enjoyed the "Soft Skills" sessions lead by Melanie Augustin.

I hope this helps a future developer!
  • Software Developer
    - 5/27/2021
    Alena Litouka  User Photo
    Alena Litouka • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Their team of professionals and their commitment to what they do, their innovative technologies and inspiring results are the reasons why I was drawn to study at Zipcode. ZipcodeWilmington is simply saying the best bootcamp!!
  • Xiong Yuan  User Photo
    Xiong Yuan • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Zip Code Wilmington is a life changing experience. I had no previous software development experience prior to attending Zip Code. After three short months, I am now starting a new career as a software engineer.

The workload for Zip Code is intense and packed into 12 weeks. It’s hard. They were not kidding when they said you will be spending 80-100 hours a week. You will be attending lectures, doing homework assignments, working on professional development and collaborating on projects. The instructors are experienced professionals who have many years of experience in this field. They will teach you to think computationally and promote curiosity. The most important skill you will learn is learning how to learn. Zip Code also have a great network with many alumni coming back to connect with and tutor the current cohort.

Zip Code is more than just teaching students how to code. They also prepare you for success in a professional environment with their professional development program. They will work with you on your resume, prepare you for interviews and teach you how to network. This is what really set Zip Code apart from other boot camps. They spend an enormous amount with you to make sure you are ready. You can book one on one appointments with the staff if you feel you need more help.

If you are driven and dedicated individual, then Zip Code is right place for you. It has changed my life for the better and will do the same for you.
  • Josh Gates  User Photo
    Josh Gates • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    In addition to being much less expensive than even online-only bootcamps, the experience beyond coding (professional development, connections with partners and access to first-round interviews, many mock interviews, lots of group coding experience, etc.) is worth so much more than the cost.

It's hard. It's a mountain of work, but it all helps, and I apply almost all of it every day in my new job. You have to say goodbye to your family for a few months and really buy in. If you do, you'll be in a good spot coming out the other side.

There's no guarantee of placement, which is true of college CS programs, too. According to everybody that I've heard from in industry, ZC grads perform competitively with those CS grads in the workplace. Not bad for 3 months' training. There's a reason that so many grads come back to tutor for free; we got so much more out of it than we paid for.
  • Jennifer Chao  User Photo
    Jennifer Chao • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

A year ago, I had never even heard of Zip Code Wilmington. I had never taken a computer science course, had zero experience with coding aside from very basic HTML and CSS, and thought that it was too late for me to get into the field of software development.

So when I first learned about Zip Code, I was admittedly skeptical. It just seemed a little too good to be true.

But after the first week or two, I understood why the program has been so successful for so many people. Three months may seem like a short amount of time -- and, relatively speaking, it is -- but the intensity of the coursework will push you to learn at a breakneck pace. So you have to be 100% willing to keep up with that pace... and whenever possible, go beyond it.

Also, the instructors are very smart and very talented, but they are also very aware of the fact that you need to be able to handle problems on your own. A huge part of being a successful software developer is the ability to look at something you don't understand and figure out a way to understand it. The Zip Code instructors are there to guide you, but you need to be ready to dive into the code and resources on your own as well.

Maybe even more valuable than the actual learning, though, are the connections that you will make at Zip Code. If you are truly invested, you will definitely spend more time with your classmates than your family or roommate or pet or even self. You may not physically be in the same vicinity as your peers, but you will almost always be in contact via Slack, either discussing a lab or sharing resources or just helping each other stay sane.

Aside from teaching you about software development, Zip Code also teaches you how to succeed in a professional environment. They help you improve your resume, work on your interview skills, and make networking connections. Many might focus on just the technical part of the program, but the professional development aspect should not be taken lightly at all. Based on my experience, most interviewers already know that you are a hard worker and fast learner if you've completed the program, so you will most likely be able to pick up any technical skills with relative ease. But being professional, agreeable, and articulate will make them view you as someone they actually want to work alongside.

A year ago, I had never even heard of Zip Code Wilmington. Next week, I will be starting my new career as a software engineer.

TL;DR: Zip Code Wilmington worked for me and many, many others. If you put in the time and effort and have a little patience, it will work for you too.

• Trinh Tong  User Photo
    Trinh Tong Verified via LinkedIn

What makes Zip Code Wilmington different? It's there for you, the student. My time at ZCW was the hardest and best experience of my life. It allowed me to push myself harder than I have before and turn a passion into a career. This program is not for those without fight! Put in the work, the staff/instructors will go toe to toe with you on the work you put in because they believe in you.

Each week, you'll have lectures, labs/assignments, projects that will continually test your skills. Time management is key to complete work on time. 12 weeks is not a long time, and my success at ZCW was largely in part to their open door policy to communicate freely and effectively with staff and fellow students. Always ask questions! Instructors slowly start to be more hands off as the course progresses, but are always avaiable to help!

I did not have a coding background aside from basic website CSS knowledge and computer hardware. Come with an appetite for learning because it doesn't stop and that appetite helped me succeed. From the foundations of coding to real world applications, you'll get to touch many parts of a software engineering path that only improves your skillset. Not only that, professional training to win over employers in the interview and secure a career down the path you want to take. They support you from day 1 to day infinity as long as you want to have them there.

• quid pro quo
    - 11/29/2018
    Nafis Nibir  User Photo
    Nafis Nibir • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

This program will change your life if you put in what it asks from you. If you're passionate and driven about doing this over what ever else you might have been, you'll get very far. I had a clear idea of where I'd have liked to be but wasn't sure if I had the proficiency to get me there. That's where the program/instructors at ZCW came in. You're given an understanding of the fundementals for starting to develop software but the foundation and work ethic required is something you come to build on your on and is different from person to person I think. You're never gonna have a chance to put aside your life for 3 months to gain the kind of skills you get out of ZCW at the quality they provide. Sure they helped me learn to code and become a software developer like I've always wanted, however, the thing I'm most grateful for coming out of ZCW is how they enabled my self-actualization.

Pro-tip: Enjoy doing this stuff.

• Life Changer!
    - 11/29/2018
    Raymond Farria  User Photo
    Raymond Farria • Business Analyst at Arora Engineers, Inc • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Throughout my life, I have been all over the place when it came to my career. I was in college then the military and back to school. I got to a point where I needed to focus on my passion, which was technology in general. I've always been tech savvy but I wanted to direct that passion towards a career I can be proud of as quickly as possible. After taking a few online coding classes, I started searching for coding boot camps and most of them are located in New York or in California. I eventually found Zip Code Wilmington and it changed my life for the better. Getting in was half the battle and the challenge of the program pushed me to heights I haven't reached in awhile intellectually. Not only did Zip Code make me a better programmer but a better professional as well. The staff is amazing and will help you thru the process but it's up to you to determine your own success. Oh and shout out to my bestie Nancy!!!!!!!