makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

Bristol, Cambridge, London, Manchester, Online

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on your passion for becoming a developer by gauging your coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

Makers Academy also offers a software engineering apprenticeship and fellowship as a pathway to a long-term career as a software developer. You don’t pay tuition and on completion of the course, you will become a Makers employee for 12 months and will work on site with a hiring partner with continued support from the Makers Academy coaches and careers team. Fellowship applicants must demonstrate a technical ability that outshines other candidates — Makers is looking to invest in outstanding individuals and a more inclusive tech future.

With one of the UK’s largest Careers team dedicated to finding you a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco).

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.81

all (204) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (19) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.
  • Dhara  User Photo
    Dhara • Makers Graduate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall I had a fantastic experience at Makers Academy and it was the best decision I've ever made. It goes without saying that it was very intense in terms of how much you learn in a relatively short time-frame, however, I'm sure all bootcamps are similar in that sense and the pros definitely outweighed the cons for me.

Pros:
    - Excellent technical coaches who are willing to help and guide you in the right direction to finding the solution.
    - Regular workshops in the first few weeks, which teach you the fundamental processes of software development and coding best practices. (These were also recorded as the course was fully remote, so we could watch them back later if necessary).
    - Emotional Intelligence workshops led by the 'Chief Joy Officer' - learnt how to communicate better, how to give and receive constructive feedback and working with different personality types etc.).
    - Great careers support upon finishing the course - workshops on CV's, cover letters, all the different jobs boards etc. (provide 1-2-1 careers coaching sessions if required).

Cons:
    - Didn't anticipate how much we'd learn in a short time, however, if you're willing to put in the work and some self-led learning you'll still enjoy the course as much as I did!
    - The coaches don't 'spoon feed' you and won't give you the answers straight away, which although can be frustrating at the time, it really made me think for myself and I can now unblock myself most of the time rather than asking for help straight away.

• Alastair Sumner  User Photo
    Alastair Sumner • Trainee Delivery Consultant • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    It wasn't without trepidation that I decided to hand in my notice and look towards a career in development. I had no idea what to expect at Makers, especially after we were told that the entire course would be remote. After having a tour of the facility in Shoreditch, it was a bit disappointing that we would be spending no time there. However the Makers team made things very easy in terms of what was needed to get set up, pre-course learning materials, the interview itself.
    Once the course started and we had our initial full cohort Zoom session the feelings of anxiety were replaced with excitement. I could see that even though everyone came from wildly different backgrounds, we were all in this together and that brought an instant feeling of calm. The course was run extremely well and whether I was just lucky or not, the cohort themselves were just amazing. I have really made some friends for life.
    There are times when you feel that some of the coaching could be a little more hands on rather than sticking to the ethos of 'teaching you to teach yourselves' to the letter. But having said that, I never would have thought that just a few weeks in I could be able to pick up SQL queries and a new language in JavaScript within the space of a week!
    Once the course had finished I think you really get a sense of where the strength of Makers lies. The course is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but the help guidance that you have at your disposal from the careers advice team is wonderful. They assist with putting CV's together, writing cover letters, or just picking you up when you're feeling down. And you will feel down at times.
    Looking back at my time at Makers, I can honestly say that it has been one of the greatest experiences I've ever been through. I have cried, laughed (a lot), pulled my hair out, helped others, had others help me (a lot), stared in wonder at the things I can now create and build, and just generally had an amazing time.
    I look forward to getting started in my new career and will always look back fondly at my time at Makers and could not recommend them enough if you are thinking of taking the plunge.
    Best of luck!!
  • Faye  User Photo
    Faye • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was stuck in a job that I hated for 7 years. I spent a lot of that time trying to teach myself how to code but never managed to develop the skills I needed to switch careers. Choosing to study at Makers is on of the best decisions I have ever made. The full team are excellent form the coaches that work with you every day to the careers team that help you to find your next job, the support has been overwhelming. In six months I managed to secure my first role as a frontend engineer. This is something that I could never have achieved without Makers Academy. Thank you!
  • Sherif Shendidy  User Photo
    Sherif Shendidy • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I'm 43 (2 years ago), I'm stuck in a job that I hate for the last 18 years, even though I reached senior management level and earn a lot of money in the dream city of Dubai, but I still hate every day of my life.

I take a crazy step and leave Dubai after 11 years there, and take my family back to the UK, leave construction  follow my childhood passion and join Makers Bootcamp. Turned my hobby into a career.

BOOOOOMMMM, I'm now 45, working and earning a decent salary to support my family, I love every day of my life, never look at the watch to check when my work day will end (some times I look just to see how long I managed to hide away from my wife and do some more work), in the past 13 months I only took 6 days off, and they were for family commitments, as I never felt tired or needing a break. I work in an industry that offers a lot of challenges to keep me excited every day, and offers a great salary growth potential.

I am indeed one of the happiest people on earth now, and honestly I don't believe I could've reached any where close to where I am now if it wasn't for "MAKERS" and their amazing family (staff would really describe them or give them justice).

Thanks Makers, you really made my dream come true. Love you guys 🥰
  • Kabir Qazi  User Photo
    Kabir Qazi • Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub
    I've had a difficult time trying to figure out what career path I want to take, doing 7 A-levels trying to keep my options open between medicine and finance it's fair to say I've spent most of my earlier career trying to figure out what I enjoy and am passionate about. Having never taken any interest in technology I left my accounting job and took a chance with doing an IT grad scheme and very early on I realised I loved coding, as a Systems Analyst and then a Test Analyst pairing with developers would always be the best part of my day. Having never actually studied Computer Science, becoming a Software Engineer felt like an Everest climb, near impossible.

Having spent 3 months on the Maker Bootcamp not only have I learnt stuff I've been trying to teach myself for 4 years but I have gained a lot of confidence in my ability. You learn a lot in the three months: command line; code versioning; TDD; new languages...but the most important thing you learn is how to learn. Becoming a developer felt like it was near impossible but now that I know how to learn a new language and how to maintain the best practices that Everist climb looks a lot smaller!

I am excited to finally be on the career path that I am passionate about and looking forward to continuing my learning.

P.S. The support the Makers team give is amazing, on many occasions I had myself referring to Eddie as a superhero!!
  • Amritpal Maan  User Photo
    Amritpal Maan • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The title sums it up quite well to be honest! I used to be enrolled on a Computer Science degree program but I had to drop out due to catching Pulmonary Tuberculosis. I spent months recovering and then worked as a bartender. Makers allowed me to get back on track with my career and switch careers from Bartending. It certainly wasn't easy, and I would say the hardest part was job hunting after the course was over. A big pro is that there is a dedicated careers team that helped with planning my job hunt. They also provided a lot of encouragement along with the alumni group!
  • Niki  User Photo
    Niki • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Attending Makers Academy was actually one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would have been miserable otherwise!

Before Makers: I had done some HTML/CSS before the course but found it difficult to learn to code alone because it's tough to know what to study next. The Makers curriculum will teach you industry best practices and fundamentals that you need to succeed as a software engineer, be it as a frontend or, in my case, backend engineer. The coaches are dedicated to your learning and bring in their industry knowledge from some very impressive backgrounds (Facebook, MIT, etc.).

The course: It is a challenging 4-month long course but it is what you make of it. Coaches are there for you, but it's up to you to reach out with questions, for additional support, or if there's a particular topic that interests you. This simulates the real-life industry experience where you have to learn how to help yourself.

Job-hunting: I started job-hunting as soon as lockdown began in March '20, which was a very painful experience, but the support that I got from Makers staff, my cohort, and the wider Makers alumni community was fantastic and really made it all worth it. It was also nice to know that the Job Offer Guarantee was there, just in case.
  • Kate H  User Photo
    Kate H • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I joined for the February cohort which was interrupted by Covid-19.  Even when we moved the course online, the community and the staff continued to make the whole experience productive and positive - I have learnt so much in just 12 weeks it's crazy.  The course material itself is really engaging and the difficulty builds week upon week at a nice pace.

But the course is difficult - you will have moments where you wonder why you chose to sign up for this. The discomfort is worth it.

I just managed to get a job despite the current climate,  thanks to the extra support of the careers staff (who are amazing). The main thing I will take away from my experience at Makers is the wonderful new friendships and a new passion for learning which I haven't had since I left university many many years ago.  Thank you Makers!
  • David McGregor  User Photo
    David McGregor • Junior Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I took the plunge and signed up to the web development bootcamp after doing Udemy/FreeCodeCamp courses on and off for a year. Looking back I regret not signing up to Makers sooner - there's no better way of learning the fundamentals quickly than building real group projects with students using best-practice tools and methods e.g. pair-programming, test-driven development and agile methodology. The course is demanding but there is plenty of support from staff and peers. Makers also provided external code reviews which simulated the pressures of real-world job interviews. The post-course job assistance was helpful, and being in a community of job-hunters meant resources and leads could be shared. After the course I now have the confidence to learn independently, and a clear sense of the trajectory of my future development career.
  • Harry Turnbull  User Photo
    Harry Turnbull • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Overall I think Makers is absolutely brilliant.

It's exactly what I wanted from a bootcamp, namely a lot of exposure to technologies and methodologies I would have otherwise struggled with learning by myself, and excellent support from experienced coaches.

There's also a great alumni community (which I have just become a part of).

They start you off with 4 weeks of independent learning and challenges (the pre-course) before the course (12 weeks) starts in earnest, which is where the real magic happens.

The course starts with Ruby (a language I really enjoy), which has a clean and simple syntax, allowing you to focus on programming concepts you can take to any language (which you do then apply when learning JavaScript). This approach allows you to build skills that you can apply to any field or language. For your final project you can decide on anything at all, even applying your newfound learning skills to get to grips with tech you have never used before to great effect.

The style is mainly self-led learning, with provided materials to for you to use, but you are also encouraged to learn from other materials you can find. I really like this approach as it has set me up to be a lifelong tech learner, rather than struggling to learn on my own once the course finished.

The coaches are there for you to get feedback on what you have done yourself, and to help you get unblocked in sticky situations, rather than to spoon feed you information. I think this is representative of the working world as a junior dev.
    Because of this, you learn a lot about communication and teamwork, as its often other members of your cohort that you turn to first when you have a problem.

That said, the course is tough because of this, don't expect an easy ride. It will be uncomfortable and hard at times, but hopefully that signals that you are growing and improving. Self discipline to be on time and put the effort in, willingness to trust in the course's process, and the ability to give things a go when you aren't entirely sure of yourself will all serve you well on this course.
  • Patrick Oliver  User Photo
    Patrick Oliver • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Have you ever wanted to learn something, but you just can't fathom how to begin learning?

I doubt I will ever face this problem again thanks to the self learning skills that Makers Academy has set me up with.

The holistic approach to their learning is simply refreshing, and effective. Equipping you with no only the skills and tools needed to secure a career in Software, but also the roadmap to becoming a more balanced and emotionally intelligent person. Equipping you with the skills to learn independently and effectively.

This truly has been an amazing experience, One I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone interesting in forging a career in tech.

Just do it!
  • Toby Dawson  User Photo
    Toby Dawson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I really enjoyed my Makers experience, the course is really well thought out and keeps you busy 100% of the time. Being onsite at Makers breeds a really brilliant work environment and atmosphere. The pair programming and team projects are really well thought out and its great to be able to step away from coding occasionally and play some ping pong.