makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

Bristol, Cambridge, London, Manchester, Online

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective, 16-week, full-time program which teaches web development online and in hybrid cohorts at their campus in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. While they are highly selective, they focus on a student's passion for becoming a developer by gauging their coding experience. Makers Academy also offers apprenticeships in Software Engineering and DevOps.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

With one of the UK’s largest careers team dedicated to finding students a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire, including but not limited to: Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco.

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.78

all (354) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (21) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

Ruby, Rails, CSS, JavaScript, HTML, Front End, Git, jQuery, Node.js, Sinatra, AngularJS, SQL, React.js
    Cost£8,500
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£850.00
    StepEx, Lendwise, Coursebud.
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£850 discount to women and gender minorities.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.
  • Life Changing!
    - 7/29/2022
    Jordan Manu  User Photo
    Jordan Manu • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Attending Makers has literally changed my life.

It is quite an intense Bootcamp, as long as you put in the work and effort, amazing things will come.
    The structure of the course is great, you start with Ruby and then learn JavaScript. Makers use a lot of pair programming, which I found to be a really great way to learn.

I managed to complete the Bootcamp and get two job offers in 4 weeks, one of them was an offer at my dream company which I accepted.
    Overall, I couldn't be happier
  • Coral  User Photo
    Coral • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I finished the Makers course with what I needed; a start into the tech industry, good foundations, others to work with and a plan of what I need to do next to keep growing.

I feel much more confident because I have a clear idea of my strengths and what I need to work on, this is down to the support provided by Makers coaches and the job hunting team (particularly in the weeks following the course).
  • Dean Lewis  User Photo
    Dean Lewis • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I wanted a career change and I wanted to do it now!

I spend some time learning bits and bobs about coding and the web. ( if you find this stuff interesting and enjoyable, stop reading this review and apply to Makers Academy )

I was very worried I didn't know enough about coding before applying, once you've touched base with Makers they'll put that anxiety to bed! They advise you on the kind of learnings you should focus on in the build up to starting the course.

For me, the biggest challenge was building up the courage to apply. So my advice would be to APPLY NOW haha.

The course is amazing, theres so much for you to learn it can be overwhelming but like I said if you enjoy it, you're going to love the endless amounts of resources. The was absolutely no pressure to finish anything, the main goal is to understand, what doing and what you've done.

This was a huge concern for some people, understandably thinking, they want to complete everything so they can be the best dev possible. Just by doing your best and taking your time to absorb as much as possible you're going to become a dev employers want.
  • Tim Turvey  User Photo
    Tim Turvey • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Pros:
    - Emphasis on pair-programming which gets you ready for the real world.
    - The support for job hunting after graduating was really good. Job search workshops to find relevant jobs. TDD process reviews to make sure your ready for tech tests. Interview prep with a coach to make sure you're ready what what might be asked in the interview. All of these make it easier to feel confident in the interview processes.

Cons:
    - The course is self-taught for the most part.  This actually is also a pro as it helps you in the long run. After graduating, you'll be pleased you learnt how to teach yourself as this is a key skill as a developer.
    - There perhaps could have been more support offered on certain topics such as APIs and deployment of apps.

Overall - I would recommend Makers Academy if you enjoy working with others and are serious about changing careers. It is an intense learning experience that is challenging and takes you out of your comfort zone. Coding with like-minded individuals gets you ready for the world of work.
  • Francisco Pottinger-Marques  User Photo
    Francisco Pottinger-Marques • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I had a great time at Makers. I was a bit scared of pair programming with someone different every day, and didn't think this was a good idea, but it ended up being one of my favourite things about the course. Makers gave me a very solid foundation to develop my engineering skills on, including concepts like TDD, OOP, and solid principles. The community is great, a very positive environment, and people really get out of their way to help. The career support team after the course is also amazing, and I still can't believe I got a job in less than three months after the course.
  • Kat Brooks  User Photo
    Kat Brooks • Student Verified via GitHub
    It is challenging and intense, but so rewarding to reflect on how much you have learned within 12 weeks. I was really impressed at the efforst Makers puts into mental wellbeing and peer support - with EQ workshops, peer group sessions, meditation etc. Most importantly, what has really struck me after reaching the end of my Makers bootcamp is the opportunity to meet a whole new community of incredibly talented and interesting people - a rare opportunity as an adult. You share an intense 12 week learning experience together, you learn together, work together, share intense challenges together. Not only have you come out of Makers with an entirely new technical skillset, but you have come out with a new professional network of incredibly talented people who are going to be working in the same industry as you. The alumni community is also brilliant. Would recommend it!
  • Raven Reynolds Sears  User Photo
    Raven Reynolds Sears • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    My experience at Makers Academy has been nothing short of awesome. Sure, I could have taught myself how to loosely code, but I wouldn't have made the connections, friendships, or solid coding practices without them. They provide you with fantastic resources, coaching help, practices that you can take into your career. The after Makers support has been better than any of the other courses I've taken. The mentorship program has been an added touch that has helped me keep from getting overwhelmed. If you're unsure, just do it or talk to a past Maker! There isn't a person I've met, who has said they should have waited or not taken the course!
  • Hannah Desmond  User Photo
    Hannah Desmond • Junior Back-End Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Pros

Makers has a very supportive, progressive atmosphere and culture. I started last year and had to defer because I got ill, and the coaches were really helpful. I started again later in the year and completed the course last week.

The coaches are fab. You do have to reach out to them if you need something but once you do, they are very supportive. If you have any health issue or you’re finding the course stressful – speak to a coach!

I have some health issues and they were really helpful, kind and proactive in their support.

I got a job immediately the end of the course through a personal contact, so I cannot speak for the careers side from personal experience, but from what I can tell from the cohort I started with last year, everyone seems to have good jobs that they enjoy. The careers service seems very comprehensive too, and I had CV support as soon as I asked for it.

The pairing and team work that you do at Makers is a real strength of the bootcamp and this cannot be replicated by trying to teach yourself coding. I feel much more relaxed and confident working with other people because of all the pairing and groupwork. I’ve met some amazing people through Makers and I hope I end up working with some of them sometime during my career. We had a lot of laughs as well as bonded over seemingly impossible problems (which all got solved in the end).

Cons
    Some of the materials need proof-reading and can be a bit difficult to understand when they don’t need to be. I can imagine this might be an additional challenge if English is not your native language.

Sometimes it can feel a bit like you’re on your own, working through self-led learning materials. There isn’t a great deal of teaching (a couple of coach-led workshops most weeks) which can sometimes be frustrating. The idea is that you learn to figure things out for yourself, but I think Makers should hire some more coaches to be able to answer learners’ queries more quickly as there was sometimes a bit of a wait to get coach input. I cannot fault any of the individual coaches, but as a course provider, it feels like there needs to be a few more coaches.

Conclusion

Makers was a great experience and I’m delighted to have finished it. I definitely feel ready to take on a junior developer role, and I’ve been offered a decent paying job the week I finished. As a way into a career in software development, I would recommend Makers. It can feel a little frustrating sometimes during the process, but the course gets you job ready and in a good position to apply for junior dev roles.
  • Kostas  User Photo
    Kostas • Junior Software Development • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The Makers Bootcamp is not for the faint of heart, but it is also very well supported by a lovely bunch of people. It is intense, it gets frustrating and glorious, but it is certainly effective in making a career change and getting into a tech job. Makers are a strong community that will stay with you and support you long after the Bootcamp. I had a blast.
  • Mr
    - 2/16/2022
    Radu Necsanu  User Photo
    Radu Necsanu • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The chance to work in a absolutely special environment, surrounded by smart emotional people,  make the most of it. Learn, listen, communicate effectively, develop your skills, understand the process and believe in your self and your team of Makers. You shall succeed!
  • Anthony Osmaston  User Photo
    Anthony Osmaston • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Makers, and was able to land a job as a junior software engineer 5 months after starting the course. Certainly worth the money in my eyes.

Course Content - There was a lot of bespoke content, but sometimes it was unclear and took a few re-reads and research around the topic to fully understand. Be prepared to do A LOT of research independent of the course materials. Sometimes recommended tech to use resulted in unnecessary banging heads on desk, due to it having stopped being supported several years ago.

Course Support - Makers focuses on Holistic learning with a wing of emotional wellbeing. The coaches and the support groups provided by Makers are one of the most important resources, and the patience, approachability and knowledge these coaches have are simply outstanding. Makers focus less on teaching, and more on teaching you how to teach yourself - which is an incredibly powerful skill that I think is often overlooked with classic education techniques. I've done GSCE's, A-Levels and a Masters Degree before joining Makers - and I've learnt more about myself and how to learn in the 16 weeks of the course, than the 10+ years of education I've had in traditional bodies.

Post-course support - CV writing tips, CV reviews, GitHub cv reviews, how to find a good job via which job boards, job advert breakdown, networking, LinkedIn profile reviews, cover letter guidance, cover letter reviews, interview preparation, mock coding tests, mock interviews, 1 on 1 support. There is a lot that Makers have to offer in the post-course, and honestly, I believe this all was enough to offset the imposter syndrome and provide enough confidence to be able to land my first job. A lot of the tips I learned here I will remember for the rest of my tech career, and I believe that Makers has given me the best start possible.
  • William Young  User Photo
    William Young • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I decided a year ago that I would like to become a software engineer, as I had yet to start a job I would consider a career. Makers helped me to structure my learning and drive me towards positive change, both technically, and personally. This was achieved through a well developed and focused curriculum that taught essential web development concepts, as well as learning how to learn. In addition a big shout out to Dana Svobada for her excellent emotional quotient lessons, which taught key soft skills such as: Empathetic listening, receiving and giving feedback and different work styles. Whilst the process was overwhelming at times, if you are willing to commit yourself to change and growth, you will inevitably gain a lot from this program.