makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

Bristol, Cambridge, London, Manchester

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on a student's passion for becoming a developer by gauging their coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

With one of the UK’s largest careers team dedicated to finding students a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire, including but not limited to: Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco.

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (275) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (20) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

Ruby, Rails, CSS, JavaScript, HTML, Front End, Git, jQuery, Node.js, Sinatra, AngularJS, SQL, React.js
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.
  • Software Developer
    - 6/29/2021
    Maiara  User Photo
    Maiara • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Makers was one of the most challenging things I did in my life, and so worth it. I went from being a waitress to a software developer in 10 months.
    I found a job at a company I really like and I am now on my first weeks of being a software developer. Looking back I would do it all over again.
  • Brilliant
    - 6/29/2021
    Tiago  User Photo
    Tiago • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This course is intense but will prepare you for the real world of development. It changed the way i aproach problems, interact with people, etc.
    The weekly challenges are amazing, great support from the coaches!
    I may say this where the best 16 weeks that i had i  a long time.
  • Christine  User Photo
    Christine • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Pros: While the entire bootcamp was completely remote, I had never felt isolated from day 1 because it's been a jam packed learning schedule right from the very beginning with a huge emphasis on pair programming and team work. The three months were undoubtedly intense and not for the uncommitted. While it wasn't uncommon to code 10-12 hours a day because you just want to learn as much as you can after the day ends,  the makers team encouraged students to make sure they take time to unwind and there are daily meditation sessions facilitated by the Chief Joy Officer, Dana. Personally I enjoyed the bootcamp for its ways of teaching us 'how to learn', rather than spoon-feeding us information or tutorials to follow. That meant at the end of it all, I am now confident I can pick up any new framework or language by referring to documentation and any resources out there. The technical coaches at Makers ensure this by being available to students at all times, however their method is always to guide you to find the solution yourself, rather than giving it straight to you. 7 weeks from graduation I have received two offers from non-Makers partners and will be starting my new career in a week. When the course ended there are ongoing support from the career coaches and partnerships team to help with job applications and if appropriate, being introduced to Makers' hiring partners.  Cons: As I wasn't based in London, the partners weren't right for me even if the opportunities were part-remote. I felt it was harder for me to find the right roles than others in my cohort due to my location in the midlands. However like any job, in the end I was able to find the right opportunity by persevering and speaking to quite a few companies. Ultimately I felt what Makers instilled in me prepared me well for the interviews.
  • Rabee Mghrabi  User Photo
    Rabee Mghrabi • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The experience at Makers taught me a lot about not only how to code but also about myself. I developed lots of soft skills and made some great friendships as well as became good at coding. I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to become a developer.
  • Natasha  User Photo
    Natasha • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I highly recommend Makers! The course is focused on building tech skills, coding best practices, emotional intelligence, teamwork skills and independent learning and research skills which you can take forwards into your career. I was worried that the course only covered 2 languages compared to other courses which list loads, but I actually think that this has been hugely beneficial - I am really confident that I can apply the skills I learned on the course to learn and pick up a new language quickly. It hasn't been a problem when job hunting either.

Support from coaches is amazing and their post course careers support is also outstanding. I have really appreciated the code reviews with external professionals, swift feedback from coaches on weekend challenges, overnight feedback on job applications and the community both on the course and as an Alumni is superb. You need to be prepared to lead your own learning, work hard and reach out to the friendly and helpful coaches to get the most out of it, so if you're someone who prefers spoon feeding this probably isn't the course for you. Otherwise, go for it!
  • Sean Edwards  User Photo
    Sean Edwards • Junior software engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I had an amazing time transitioning from my previous role as a specialist physiotherapist to software engineer. I had looked into a few bootcamps but picked Makers as it had the best reputation when I asked around some people in the industry. I've learnt so much and cannot thank the coaches and team at Makers enough. It is defiantly tough and takes a lot of dedication and drive, but you get out what you put in. I was employed within 4 weeks of finishing and the company actually cited my Makers experience as one of the main reasons, they approached and ultimately hired me. My advice would be become a Maker if you want to work in tech!
  • Learn to learn
    - 4/1/2021
    Kiki Dawson  User Photo
    Kiki Dawson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Wonderful course. The coaches were very supportive even in a remote setting. They seemed to truly care about what we were getting out of the course and our wellbeing.
    I feel more confident not only a developer but as a leader and team member. I've finished with improved communication and research skills and a better sense of myself.
    There was a real focus on how to learn. I thought I was already proficient in this skill but turns out I had a lot of improvements to make - now I feel like I could teach myself any language.
    I would highly recommend this course.
  • Joe Spraggon  User Photo
    Joe Spraggon • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    There are plenty of options when it comes to coding bootcamps! If you're reading this you're probably looking at 5 or more different courses at the same time. I was in the same position last year & I've now finished my Makers experience and feel ready to tackle the software development world!

The focus with Makers is very much about you growing as a student, dev & person and less focused on learning the hottest current language or cramming in absolute maxi different languages over a three month period. This might turn some people off, but for me, as a total beginner, this was perfect!

It can be overwhelming and by no means is the Makers course simple or easy! But with the tools taught and the lessons followed all of a sudden I found myself coding for fun!
  • Chris Whitehouse  User Photo
    Chris Whitehouse • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I am a career changer, so it was with a lot of excitement, but with no little trepidation that I embarked on a software development bootcamp with Makers Academy. I needn't have worried. The course is fantastic. Demanding, challenging, intense, yes. But also incredible. The coaches, are superb, and mindful that they are there to teach students 'how to learn', not 'what to learn'. With this in mind, some of the most powerful takeaways from the course are not just technical, but more profound life lessons; the ability to drive self directed learning, emotional intelligence, and effective team working. This course rewards investment; the more you put in, the more you get out. And bonding, and collaborating with your cohort, is were the real joy is. I undertook this course remotely from Bristol, and thoroughly enjoyed, and felt engaged with the course at all points.

Would recommend.
  • Lisa  User Photo
    Lisa • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    -  The course material is really good and you can always ask for coaches' help when you feel stuck.
    - The course puts a lot of focus on TDD, Agile and Pair Programming,  which are required best practices nowadays.
     - During the course, there are a lot of opportunities to work in teams and review others' code.
     - Chance to do reviews with external company.
    - Makers community is great and alway willing to help.
    - After graduation you can get help with your CV  and you can be advised while preparing to different kinds of interviews.
    - 3/18/2021
    Alex Leeson-Mill  User Photo
    Alex Leeson-Mill • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Had an overall great experience with Makers and would definitely recommend to anyone thinking about switching careers!

Pros:
    - Coaches are excellent support and always try to make themselves available despite difficulties of lockdown and remote working
    - Good experience of pair programming and supporting/mentoring others
    - Access to an industry and like minded people that you would not get self-teaching

Cons:
    - Remote working made it harder and coaches less accessible. Harder to justify the cost of the course as can sometimes feel a bit isolating
  • Alumni
    - 3/17/2021
    Amalia-Diana Palaghia  User Photo
    Amalia-Diana Palaghia • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I have been keeping an eye on Makers Academy for a few years, I subscribed to their newsletter, went to demo days and events at their office. Unfortunately, I could not afford to give up my job and enrol in the full-time course so when the opportunity came to be part of the first part-time cohort, I had to take it!

The application process was easy, I had a phone call interview followed by a pair-progamming session with the future coach, and I was told on the spot that I am in. My cohort was a small one, there were only 5 of us but it worked to our advantage. We were all employed full-time and doing the course for 3 hours in the evening Mon-Thursday, a longer session of 5 hours on Sunday and individual study on Fri-Sat when we usually had projects to finish. It was intense, not only because of the curriculum but because of the schedule as well, we didn't have a lot of time to ourselves and that's why the support that Makers offered was so important. We had wellbeing workshops and our coaches were highly empathic and patient. There were also meditation and yoga sessions that some of my colleagues who were working from home attended regularly - unfortunately, not my case as I had to commute.

The curriculum is interesting, I enjoyed all the projects that I worked on. You get to learn a little bit of everything but the experience is not your usual conventional education. There is a big emphasis on teaching you how to learn for yourself. We were encouraged to do our own research, to learn through practice. If someone wanted to learn another programming language or a different technology, they could do so during the individual learning days. If someone felt like they needed more challenging tasks or exercises to practice outside of our sessions, our coaches were able to provide that. But we could also reach out to them for emotional support.

A month after finishing the course, I have already had an interview and the future looks good! Makers offers job support after finishing the course and I know that if I have any questions, there is someone who can help me. I can honestly say that this experience has changed my life and I am sooo glad that I chose Makers.