hyperiondev-logo

HyperionDev

Cape Town, Johannesburg, London, Online

HyperionDev

HyperionDev offers part-time and full-time bootcamps in software engineering (6-12 months), data science (3-6 months), and web development (3-6 months) available online and in person at campuses in Johannesburg and Cape Town, South Africa. HyperionDev’s deep experience supports students’ ability to code and helps them achieve career-focused skills. Students will engage in tailored courses and coding exercises that integrate human-led code review. HyperionDev has partnered with organizations such as Google, Facebook, The University of Edinburgh, The Computer Science Association of South Africa, Oracle, and the South African Department of Education to ensure the highest quality standards.

To apply, students should have a motivation and dedication to learn and apply their minds to more complex tasks in programming. The bootcamps are written and spoken in English.

Along with earning a HyperionDev certification, students will also get career guidance and job search support once they have completed their bootcamp successfully. Career services include interview preparation, CV and portfolio preparation, and access to HyperionDev’s hiring network.

Recent HyperionDev Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (183) reviews for HyperionDev →

Recent HyperionDev News

Read all (9) articles about HyperionDev →
  • Certified Full Stack Web & Software Engineer Bootcamp

CSS, Express.js, Front End, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, MongoDB, Node.js, PHP, React.js, Wordpress
    LocationCape Town, Johannesburg
    Become a master of software engineering and full stack web development principles in our most comprehensive and in-depth bootcamp. This 6-month full-time bootcamp blends online and face-to-face sessions to provide you with a deep and extensive set of tech skills to meet all the demands of the modern workplace. Learn how to manage the front and back ends of a website, create software applications and manipulate data. You will have access to 1-on-1 mentorship, video calls, and professional career support services, with a guaranteed 3-month internship after graduation to cement your skills. At the end of this 6-month online course, you’ll be able to build websites, manage databases, and create applications, and have the confidence to fill the demands of any tech position. ** AVAILABLE ONLY FOR RESIDENTS OF SOUTH AFRICA. MUST BE ABLE TO ATTEND THE ON-SITE CHECK-INS AT CPT AND JHB CAMPUSES **
    Tuition Plans$1249 Monthly $6477 Upfront
  • Data Science Bootcamp

Data is only as valuable as the person interpreting it. With our Data Science Bootcamp you learn how to use the right software and techniques to read visual and statistical data and present it in a way that solves real world problems. Master the Python programming language, learn the fundamentals of machine learning, and start using data science libraries such as scikit-learn, NumPy, Matplotlib and pandas. As data becomes the world’s most valuable resource, the demand for data scientists is off the charts and projected to grow further. Master the tools, techniques and knowledge required to think like a data scientist and switch to this highly valued, sought-after career.
  • Full Stack Web Developer Bootcamp

CSS, Django, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL, Python, MongoDB, Node.js, React.js
    Master HTML, CSS, Javascript, Node.js, MongoDB, Express, React, Python, and Django in 6 months part-time to guarantee your future as a web developer Combination of 3 segments from beginner to advanced: Web Development Essentials Back-end Web Development with Python Full Stack Web Development 6 months/part-time.
    Prep WorkBootcamp Prep course included
  • Software Engineer Bootcamp

C#, Django, Git, Java, Python, Data Science, Data Structures
    Master Python and Java and learn to apply important computer science, data science and software engineering principles in 6 months to guarantee your future as a software engineer Bootcamp includes 3 courses from beginner to advanced: Introduction to Programming Introduction to Software Engineering Data Science and Algorithms Part-time, online 1:1 personalised daily mentorship
    Prep WorkBootcamp prep course included
  • The University of Edinburgh Data Science bootcamp

Python, Machine Learning, Data Science
    Cost£7,500
    Data is only as valuable as the person interpreting it. In this highly intensive and skills-focussed online data science course, you’ll learn how to use the best software and techniques to read visual and statistical data and present it in a way that solves real-world problems. Master the Python programming language, learn the fundamentals of machine learning, and start using data science libraries such as scikit-learn, NumPy, Matplotlib and pandas. As data becomes the world’s most valuable resource, the demand for data scientists is rising rapidly. Master the tools, techniques and knowledge required to think like a data scientist and switch to this highly valued, sought-after career.
  • The University of Edinburgh Full Stack Web Developer bootcamp

React.js, Node.js, MongoDB, JavaScript, HTML, Express.js, CSS
    Cost£7,500
    This comprehensive full stack web development course, teaches you to build your own dynamic, data-driven web applications. Learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Node.js, MongoDB, Express and React in just 3 to 6 months, and begin your career as a web developer. By 2021, it’s projected 1 million computer programming jobs in the U.S. will go unfilled – as well as 700,000 in Europe – thanks to unprecedented demand for qualified web developers in the tech sector.
  • The University of Edinburgh Software Engineering bootcamp

Python, Machine Learning, Java
    Cost£7,500
    In this Software Engineering bootcamp, you’ll master Python and Java and learn to apply important computer science, data science and software engineering principles. Learn Python, Java, Object Oriented Programming, and machine learning in just 3 to 6 months to guarantee your future as a software engineer. Software engineering is a creative career that allows you to work with software, hardware and other computer systems in a wide variety of industries and jobs. This software developer course will place you at the heart of the digital economy, with endless scope for growth. Start your coding journey today towards becoming an in-demand software engineer.
  • Kyle Dornan • Student
    Yessss ,  yesss and yess since the start of this camp I have had non stop feed back on how my work is going and on mistakes I’m making which is  amazing really makes you feel like you can do it and you not alone.
  • Henno • Student
    As an accountant in the corporate field, I noticed more and more automation happening. And before my job is being replaced by a program, I thought let me be that person to create that program.
    HyperionDev's bootcamp provided the necessary skills from beginner to advance. If you are stuck, there is always a mentor a message or email away to assist you in the right direction.  Something amazing, as you submit your tasks, it get reviewed/marked within 48hrs, so you know immediately if you need to review a certain skill before proceeding. They ensure the foundation is perfectly solid!
    I would recommend HyperionDev, and any of their courses (even if you dont have any experience)!
  • As a Working Mom
    - 12/17/2020
    Zea Henniker • Junior Programmer
    As the working mom, you do not always have free time, so I decided to allocate my free time to study part-time expecting everything to go perfect.

HyperionDev has been so understanding that life throws curve balls when you least expect them and I really want to say thank them especially to Tevin one of the consultants.

• Morne Dannhauser • Student
    I have had an amazing experience at HyperionDev with myself working full time I have managed to find a university that offers a 6 month boot camp that gives me all I need and allows me to still work while I am studying 🙏
  • Rehan • Student
    I'm currently enrolled in the Software Engineering Bootcamp, and to provide some background information I study BSc IT part time so I do have some prior knowledge of coding, but this course is so in depth and provides such a big expansion to previously obtained knowledge. I would say this is better than getting a degree where you do so much work and learn nothing much about real world coding etc. Doing my course through Hyperiondev was the best thing I could've done, they provide great material to give you the knowledge and a lot of tasks that you have to submit that forces you to practice what you have learnt. Think you might get stuck with things because you are new? Not to worry, they provide each student with a mentor that is available pretty much anytime during working hours via discord and you can even set 1 on 1 meetings with them ranging from 30min to 1 hour where they will explain to you every detail that you don't understand. I am with Hishaam and he is great at what he does and super friendly, keeps things professional but does not shy away from making you feel human.

Thanks Hyperiondev and Hishaam for the wonderfull experience.
  • Anne Hollamby • Senior Graphic Designer • Student
    The course structure and content is perfect for someone like me who needs to upskill to enter the tech space. The video content especially works very well in explaining concepts. And the mentors are extremely knowledagble.
  • Mr
    - 11/27/2020
    Brad • Student
    If you are contemplating joining Hyperiondev all I can say is take the jump and join, you will not regret it . You have amazing mentors to help you on your journey along with a beautiful peer support system . I LOVE IT
  • Aveshnee Iyer • Graduate
    The HyperionDev course gives you real life experience solving for complex problems. It teaches you to research and gets you to really apply yourself. The mentor concept is great as you have support.
  • Dr
    - 11/2/2020
    Mpafane Deyi • CEO • Student
    Doing the Software Engineer Bootcamp with HyperionDev has been an absolute pleasure for me. I have found many aspects of the course relevant for application in my field (Water Science and Engineering). The course and exercises are structured in a manner that is easy to follow from a gentle introduction to an advance level.

I would strongly recommend the course to the young and old, those who are young graduates and those that have just finished high-school. Coding is a good skill to have and there are limitless potential applications in the work place and in under&post-graduate studies.
  • Review
    - 9/25/2020
    Martin • Student
    I started my full stack web development bootcamp in July after switching from a legal field. The course structure enabled me to pick up the programming concepts. Currently I'm on track with my tasks and hopefully I finish early December.
  • Francois Wepener
    - 7/22/2020
    Francois Wepener • Graduate
    I did the Full Stack Web Development Part Time Bootcamp.
    It is a great course and I had an amazing journey throughout the course. The mentors and other departments are very helpful and they will assist in any way possible.

The course content is relevant to to current market. The most popular development stack is part of the course. You will also learn a lot of other technologies and they all compliment each other. The course is well planned and easy to follow. You will have to do a lot of research, which is part of the tech path, and this also develops you into a better full stack developer.

I highly recommend this course to anyone who want to start a career in web development.
  • Wesley • Student

The quick version: Terrible, terrible, terrible. Avoid at all costs!

Here's why...

Being in the Aviation Industry and grounded because of CoVid-19, I decided to ups**** myself by learning to code. I had done some coding in Python before on places like Udemy and by reading books, but decided now was the perfect time to dedicate serious time and effort into this. I joined HyperionDev for the primary reason of being accountable to a mentor. The website advertises that a mentor would tailer the course to your experience and guide you from “zero to hero”. I paid the full fee of R19 995 for the six month Data Science Bootcamp. It went downhill from there…

The bootcamp started on the 5th May 2020 and it asked me to schedule an “on-boarding call”, which I did. A call was scheduled, but never received.
    I then checked on how I would go about scheduling a call with my mentor. To my surprise, the next available date was in four (4) weeks… June.
    I then called HyperionDev and bought the above to their attention. I offered 3 scenarios: Either assign a different mentor to me, transfer me to a different bootcamp, or refund me. I was told to stick with it and was given my mentor's email address to schedule calls. I accepted.

I went through Level 1 of the bootcamp quickly, as I already had experience in Python. However, whilst doing the tasks, I remember feeling sorry for people that have never coded before at all. More on that later.

When I needed help from my mentor, I fired off an email and could only schedule a call a week later. Unfortunately, even the call was disappointing. Not my mentor's fault - How much can you really teach and explain in 30 minutes?

Think you’ll get personalized code reviews in your code file as shown on the website? Nope. They show code feedback on a separate webpage. If you’re lucky, it’ll be personalized. I received a lot of automated feedback. You’re told to ask questions in your code file, but the automated response doesn’t address questions. Better ask your mentor for help… in 2 - 4 weeks.

“Code is reviewed within 48 hours.” No, no, it’s not.

On to the content. The good stuff - the notes that will teach you how to code. They are delivered in PDF format to a Dropbox folder. There’s some text on there and a few tasks, which are much, much more involved than what you were taught in the PDF. Expect to research how to code if statements and loops on the internet. It does not teach them before you need them. Sure, doing your own research is good and part of the learning process, but there are limits. They should vary tasks just enough that they make you research the official documentation and not outdated forums. They plagiarize most of the tasks. If you want to do tasks/challenges, go to HackerRank or similar sites. Think the projects are related to real-world problems? They’re not. They’re just more meaningless tasks.

To accompany the PDF’s, are “example.py” files that have example code for you to read through. Right at the top, you’re reminded that they are there for you and should you get stuck, to please contact your mentor. Prepare for a 2 - 4 week wait if you go that route. Some files ask you to make sure you have Python 2.7 installed, while it teaches the course using Python 3! You run the file… error. Now you’re troubleshooting their example file. If you know what you’re doing, you’ll find the “print” statements aren’t accompanied by parenthesis (). The entire file still has Python 2.7 code.

They don’t teach best practices. All variable names are in CamelCase and not snake_case as recommended by Python style documentation. In another, you’re asked to install SpaCey, a Natural Language Processing module. Enjoy spending the day trying to get that installed! Don’t bother asking your mentor for help. They’re not available. The instructions on how to install SpaCey are incorrect in the PDF. Best to just go to the official SpaCey website. Also, the version of Python they provide for you is the 32bit version. SpaCey needs the 64bit version.

With all of that said, I asked for a refund on the 29th May 2020, as what they promised on the website before joining was not being delivered. I was happy to pay the one month fee of R4795 plus the 15% cancellation fee.

It has now been 5 weeks later and after working my way from Support to the Head of Education to the CEO and the legal department, I finally received a response:

They are putting me on the new cancellation policy which came into effect on the 1st July 2020.
    It states that since I completed 29% of the course and that I enquired about the refund policy on the 29th May, my cancellation was made in week 4. I am therefore, eligible to receive a refund of 40% minus a 15% cancellation fee. Depending on how you work it out, that’s a refund of between R5000 and R6800. From R19 995. Disgusting. The bizarre thing is, even if I had just paid monthly, I would have covered the same amount of content.

I have no choice now but to take it further legally.

There are FAR, FAR, better courses out there that are free or very cheap. If you want to learn web development, use freeCodeCamp. If you want to learn Python, use Udemy. Courses are excellent and only cost around R200. Sure, you don’t get mentor support, but you get very little of that at HyperionDev, anyway.
    If you specifically want to learn Data Science, try Codecademy or DataQuest. I have since moved on to another learning platform called Udacity and it is amazing! Projects are real-world - Analysing actual data sets. Content is fantastic. Video and text is available. They mark projects with personalized feedback in less than 24 hours. They marked my last project in 10 minutes. Mentors answer questions within 30 minutes.

If you must join HyperionDev, DO NOT pay upfront. Instead, pay monthly. That way, if you feel like they sucked you in by false advertising, you can at least cancel and stop the debit orders. Lesson learnt.

Good luck.