hyperiondev-logo

HyperionDev

Cape Town, Johannesburg, London, Online

HyperionDev

HyperionDev offers 6-month, part-time and full-time tech bootcamps in software engineering, data science, web development, and mobile development, available online and in Johannesburg and Cape Town, South Africa. Students learn part-time (about 8 hours per week), work in a 1:1 mentor relationship, and engage in a tailored course and coding exercises based on their career track of choice. The software engineering bootcamp covers Python, Java, object-oriented programming, and machine learning; the web development bootcamp covers full stack JavaScript with Node.js, MongoDB and Express; the data science bootcamp covers Python programming, machine learning, and data science libraries; and the mobile development bootcamp covers Java and Android concepts. HyperionDev, a division of CoGrammar founded in 2014, has the ambition to scale human-led education in programming. With the belief that machines can't match human developers, Hyperion Dev believes that learning to code is best achieved by having a coding educator review your code daily.

To apply, students should have a motivation and dedication to learn and apply their mind to more complex tasks in programming. The online bootcamp is written and spoken in English. Along with earning a Hyperion certification, students will also get career guidance and job search support.

Hyperion Dev provides career services in the form of technical CV insights, interview preparation, and network connections with hiring partners. Hyperion has partnered with organizations such as Google, The University of Cambridge, The Computer Science Association of South Africa, Oracle, and the South African Department of Education to ensure the highest quality standards.

Recent HyperionDev Reviews: Rating 4.75

all (57) reviews for HyperionDev →

Recent HyperionDev News

• Certified Full-Stack Web Developer Bootcamp

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Python, JavaScript, Django, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Master HTML, CSS, Javascript, Node.js, MongoDB, Express, React, Python, and Django in 6 months part-time to guarantee your future as a web developer Combination of 3 segments from beginner to advanced: Web Development Essentials Back-end Web Development with Python Full Stack Web Development 6 months/part-time
    $899 per month $2250 for 2-part payment $3555 6 months upfront
    Beginner
    Bootcamp Prep course included
  • Certified Software Engineer Bootcamp

Data Science, Git, C#, Python, Django, Data Structures, Java
    Master Python and Java and learn to apply important computer science, data science and software engineering principles in 6 months to guarantee your future as a software engineer Bootcamp includes 3 courses from beginner to advanced: Introduction to Programming Introduction to Software Engineering Data Science and Algorithms Part-time, online 1:1 personalised daily mentorship
    $899 per month $2250 for 2-part payment, $3555 upfront
    Beginner
    Bootcamp prep course included
  • Data Science Bootcamp

Data is only as valuable as the person interpreting it. With our Data Science Bootcamp you learn how to use the right software and techniques to read visual and statistical data and present it in a way that solves real world problems. Master the Python programming language, learn the fundamentals of machine learning, and start using data science libraries such as scikit-learn, NumPy, Matplotlib and pandas. As data becomes the world’s most valuable resource, the demand for data scientists is off the charts and projected to grow further. Master the tools, techniques and knowledge required to think like a data scientist and switch to this highly valued, sought-after career.
    $500 scholarship for UK and US citizens

3 Scholarships

• $500 HyperionDev Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive HyperionDev scholarship for $500 off tuition!

This scholarship cannot be combined with other offers.

• Certified Full-Stack Web Developer Bootcamp (Online)

• All courses in Online

This scholarship cannot be combined with other offers.

• Certified Software Engineer Bootcamp (Online)

• Tony  User Photo
    Tony • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I believe that I meant to be a developer (after I picked up a keyboard in the street at the age of 7. find the full story here===>tony), but I never had a chance to study because of war, migration, work, etc... So I could only study online and only at night. After reading about Data Science and Python, I knew what I wanted... and you guessed it right, I wanted to become a Data Scientist.

I started My Data Science journey shortly after I read up about the industry on the dataquest's website I was closed by that article and was completely into the deal just my finance couldn't allow me to sing up that deal, so I decided to save up for it cause at that time they required that you pay the full amount to enroll in the Bootcamp(If I remember correctly). But there were some freebies free trial period :) so I enrolled for that And off I started. They have got also great content in their courses I must say.

One day while having some random Chat about life, a friend told me about hyperiondev, two things caught my attention, 1) 1 on 1 mentor support and 2) Monthly payment option. I couldn't think twice, I signed up right there.

Early this year March I started the Bootcamp, the course is divided into 3 modules; Python for Data Scientist,  Data Analytics and Exploration and Machine Learning... respectively.

I obviously stumbled a bit at the beginning with stuff like why do we have to print "hello world" and settling in and feel like a developer, but My first module mentor was a human with aliens brain :) very helpful and we became friends and I have gotten close to many other students and mentors.

The part I enjoy the most throughout the Bootcamp was Student interaction So we have a Discord channel where all the Beautiful Happy Coder of Hyperiondev meet (includes mentors), there you'll never walk alone, the guys there don't sleep (I'm one of them) great vibe, positive people who are ready to help and enjoy together upbuilding discussions and relaxing with different taste of music with some heavy gamers in the house.

Now the part where I think Hyperiondev need to give a little bit of extra attention is Mentor Supervision because those guys work very hard and they can get easily overloaded with their work or student appointments and that can pretty much affect the student progress and create unnecessary frustration. But I trust that they are going to look closely on that one.

Student Support after Bootcamp, so they have an after Bootcamp support which is totally free of charge. In the process, I am being helped to adjust my portfolio, CV, Linkedin account and some other stuff to get me visible to the hiring company and sort of a way to welcome me in the industry. Afterward, they have a placement system whereby they introduce the graduate to the Hiring company and assist us with interview preparation and much more overwhelming after Bootcamp support.

But I am not going to work yet, just not yet! I want to compliment my skills with a Software Engineer Bootcamp. Guess where???? Well, you guessed it right again ===> right here===> software_engineering

• Johnson  User Photo
    Johnson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

It was a great opportunity to attend HyperionDev, which has greatly contributed and impacted the knowledge of coding from a beginner to advanced level that is needed in the Tech.
    It challenged me to work on improving my code, and provided me with one-on-one mentor which assisted and made me have a broader concept of programming, solving technical issues and projects which has greatly enhanced my skills to be able to associate myself with an organization where i can utilize my skills.

I was challenged to do independence research on my own, and overall, the experience is there to get you job ready and understand the core principles of what employers are going to expect from you in your area of expertise.

I was able to understand how work environment will be like on a daily basis, and built my confidence, not only in coding, but also my approach in tackling any problem with confidence in work environment. The support was outstanding, informative, valuable and impactful.

- 9/14/2019
    Altus du Plessis  User Photo
    Altus du Plessis • Civil Technician • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I can highly recommend HyperionDev to any person who wants to get their career started in die programming field. They are well established and well organized with an extremely well thought out structure in proving a lovely study experience.

They offer a variety of courses from which to choose from. If you are unsure which course is the right one for you, don’t fear, as they explain and compare each of the courses very clearly.

The mentors are also extremely helpful when you get stuck or just want to talk to someone regarding the work. They make it very easy to get in touch with them and they always respond promptly.

HyperionDev is awesome.

• Ronny Nijimbere  User Photo
    Ronny Nijimbere • Student Verified via GitHub

Course Content:

I found the course well structured as each task builds onto the next task. Each task reading is structured as an introduction or basics, so it up to each student to do extra research to understand the concepts in more detail. There will be occassions where you do not full grasp on what you have learnt in a task but this should not worry a student as you will sometimes find that you didnt understand is covered in upcoming tasks and this gives student more ideas on which concepts they should focus on as they do more research.

The Course is not designed to teach students as everything as due to the nature of the industry as technologies are constantly changing. As you progress, you will learn that there different ways or methods that could or can be used to complete particular tasks, so students should not stress or get shocked when they run into these sorts of tasks.

Like any learning course that you encounter, you find it difficult at the first but that is the purpose of learning; you learn so that you can understand and that is the reason why students should never give up as the solutions are always around the corner and they are just waiting for you to find them.

Mentors

The Mentors are very knowledgable and helpful and they assistance and feedback is highly appreciated and so it is important for students to engage mentors when they run into issues that they will definetly encounter. But I highly encourage students to always do as much research as possible and only seek assistance when they really get stuck. You will find that on many occassions, you fill figure out the issue on your own and this builds your confidence as you move forward.

Fellow Students:

I highly encourage students to build friendships with other students no matter which bootcamp that they are enrolled in. All students encounter issues with their codes and you will find students willing to assist you and as a student yourself assisting other students..Always keep in mind that we are all here to learn and have some fun at the same time.

In Conclusion

Enjoy your journey and i wish you all the best,

• Sedeshtra Pillay  User Photo
    Sedeshtra Pillay • Data Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I could not rate this course highly enough. As someone with a Master's degree yet minimal coding experience, this bootcamp equipped me with the perfect tools to make a jump in my career towards data-driven management consulting. From Python to Tableau, this course covers the fundementals of what should be in the data scientist's toolbox. The support was fantastic, and the curriculum was challenging to say the least!

• Frederick  User Photo
    Frederick • IT Specialist • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

There are a lot of free* or “Self-taught” options online, and this could be a viable choice for some, but I personally felt that I needed some structure and guidance, having little experience with development. I work fulltime and opted for HyperionDev because I could complete the bootcamp part-time, over 6 months and still receive the same level of support as a fulltime student might get.

The bootcamp was split up into 3 levels, structuring it in a way that didn’t feel overwhelming. In addition to the lessons increasing in complexity as you continue, all the lessons prepare you to complete the next one. The lessons themselves are well structured and explained in an easily understandable way. However, you can’t rely on the lessons alone for all the information you need. Self-study and research will be crucial to fully grasping some topics and the lessons don’t always point that out.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the lessons and assignments and I’m highly satisfied with the outcome. I feel like I was defiantly given the tools I need to enter the field of software engineering and I’m confident that I am well prepared.

• Mustafa Mossa  User Photo
    Mustafa Mossa • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

During my intensive 3 month course with Hyperion Dev, I gained instant, valuable and vital experience with more than one coding language thanks to both professional and friendly help from mentors.

Highly recommended for those wishing to embark on a coding journey.

• Willem A Voges  User Photo
    Willem A Voges • Freelance Software Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

For every task that is provided there is reading material and referencing material with links to more assistance, reading materials and online communities(none of which is duplicates of one another). Connecting to the community is encouraged by which you build real-world understanding of the programming industry, questions asked in industry, and most importantly errors and how they are solved. An overview of the full language and modules is also mentioned and\ or provided, the more in depth investigations and application thereof is left to the student to explore per task as seen fit upon which feedback is provided so the student can be left to explore patterns of thought and not predetermined layouts as standard of the course that has to be followed and nothing else.

• Herman Swanepoel  User Photo
    Herman Swanepoel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

What I liked the most about this online course, is the structure or curriculum, it is well thought through, in a way that will make sense to most.

I had 2 x mentors in the 3 months full-time course.  Although I thought the second one did not apply to my case, he was actually telling me unknowingly, that I have a lot of homework to get past, and so it was.  Reading takes a lot of time in this course, especially with the Machine Learning tasks.

Further on they help you comprehensively to compile a good CV and even arrange interviews on your behalf.

• Valuable experience
    - 10/10/2018
    Dalmari van der Linde  User Photo
    Dalmari van der Linde • Product Owner • Student Verified via LinkedIn

My intention behind doing HyperionDev's Software engineering bootcamp is likely a little different from most - rather than looking to become a coder I did the course in order to broaden my technology knowledge and increase my confidence when working with developers. The course was challenging but never too difficult so that you felt like giving up - and there is always the support of your assigned tutor should you need a little extra guidance. For me the difficulty was just right, so that you felt that you were really achieving something with each completed task, rather than just going through the motions. I was amazed at how much I was able to learn in a short amount of time and am even considering doing the other bootcamps when I have the time one day.

The course was well balanced, not spending too much time on theoretical elements that you can learn elsewhere. By the end you have a portfolio of your own programs.

• Darrel  User Photo
    Darrel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I completed the Software Engineer Bootcamp from HyperionDev and I can say it was great learning experience.

The mentors in Hyperion are great! they were always there to support me whenever I got stuck on a problem and I got to learn Python and Java on this course.

They provide the full package when it comes to learing Python and Java, and they also provide good career guidance.

Overall I am happy with my Learnings and certificate.

• Russell Fincham  User Photo
    Russell Fincham • Student Verified via GitHub

Master Python, Java, algorithms and Data Science in 6 months part-time. Learn to apply your development skills to solve business problems to industry standards and guarantee your future as a software engineer.

• Obiora Nnene  User Photo
    Obiora Nnene • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    The structure of the course was excellent. It comprised many practice problems that increased in complexity as I progressed and they were backed by the necessary theory required to gain an appreciation for each concept. There were also pointers to further learning aids, which highlight the need for research; an invaluable skill in the quest to become a good programmer. Lastly, I think the student career support bit, sets Hyperion Dev apart as an organization that truly values human capacity development and building relationships. Great Job Hyperion!

Specifically, the course helped me:
    • fill a long time aspiration of becoming a software developer.
    • equipped me with skills I needed to successfully build the metaheuristic optimization model I am now using in my Ph.D. research.
  • Elshama   User Photo
    Elshama • Student Verified via GitHub

The Bootcamp helped me develop fully functional mini-website of my own in a very short period of time. The greatest advantage of taking this course with hyperion is that I learnt how to look for and use extra resources for my own learning. Moreover, if you are genuinely struggling, the mentors at Hyperion can help you out.

To prospective students, if you are interested in this course, be ready to be doing a lot of research to make your assignments look good and comprehensive. Make sure you fully understand what you did in any previous tasks before proceeding to any new work. Lastly, a reliable internet connection and patience are important.

• Great Course!
    - 11/9/2017
    Katherine Barber  User Photo
    Katherine Barber • Marketing Director • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I did the PHP and Web Development Essentials course through Hyperion Development. The course was well structured and perfect for the beginner - it took me from the very basics of php development, right through to learning functions, loops, text files and other useful techniques. The tasks were challenging and really made my brain work. I received great support when needed. I can honestly say that I feel confident in my ability to develope basic interactive and functional websites after doing this course. I have ony got two criticisms: there were quite a lot of grammatical and spelling errors in the course content, and I would have liked a little more elaborate feedback from my mentor. I would definitely do a course with Hyperion again.

• Yusuf Isaacs  User Photo
    Yusuf Isaacs • IT Assistant/Technician • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was having some problems with Hyperion after completing my course. I was quickly contacted by the CEO who managed to resolve the concerns I was having. Before this, I had no problems with Hyperion and the curriculum was great. Having a mentor guide you, when you are stuck, is very useful when doing an online course. I would recommend this school to anyone and would also consider registering for another course in the future.

• Francois Mc Gregor • # • Graduate

My course started off with a bang because they involved coding before I even registered. They allowed me to do an assessment task to see if coding was the right "fit" for me. I found it to be both challenging and exciting at the same time. The registration process was a breeze and the staff were very friendly, helpful and informative. I say this because a mentor assisted me with a query I submitted just after midnight. I call that "going the extra mile"! As you can expect from any institution it didn't always go smoothly. I had my doubts when I lost contact with my mentor but they jumped on the issue to make sure that I could be assisted by someone else and kept me in the loop at all times. The student adviser kept in touch to check whether I was still happy and this made me feel like they really care about their students. I had a problem with not being able to finish my course in the allocated time and they had no issue with extending the timeline so I could complete my source without having to rush and not take in the stuff I was supposed to learn. Overall, I am very happy with Hyperion Dev and I would most definitely recommend them to any person out there who is looking at making the career switch!!!!!

• Jaco • analyst • Student

Currently in progress to complete my bootcamp, but I must say until now it has been a very good experience for me. The way the bootcamp is structured works for me since it focusses on the completion of both minor and bigger (capstone tasks) instead of just throwing a big project at you with the hope that you will somehow figure it out. Since one's knowlege is build incrementally it helps one a lot once you have to complete a capstone project, since one now has the knowledge to know what to do and what is expected from them.

Furthermore, the mentor provided to me is/was (since I am still busy at the moment) great and always provided me with very good tips to improve. Review times were also fast and structured with good feedback to improve in any area.

I would recommend Hyperiondev should anybody want to increase/expand their knowledge in any IT related field since Hyperiondev takes the individual serious and wants them to succeed.

• Stefan Hattingh • Devops developer • Graduate

I recently completed the Full stack web developer bootcamp at Hyperion Development and really enjoyed it. The course material was slightly outdated but still good and touched on most technologies required to become a developer.

The mentor support for the first two levels was excellent but I unfortunately received very little assistance during level three which was disappointing.

Overall a good course and worth the money.

• Justin Dudley • Graduate

This was a part-time, online bootcamp, teaching a little python and a lot of java. The reading materials were good, the format of the course was good. My one-on-one mentor reviewed my work carefully, but he was not always easy to get in touch with. The curriculum did not include any front-end work (HTML, CSS, Javascript), so I have needed to supplement the course with that in order to be employable. I am happy with the course.

• Brendan • Intern Developer/ Teacher's Assistant • Graduate

About a year ago I decided that I needed a change in career. I thought about my brief experience with programming in highschool and how much I enjoyed it. I decided that was the path that I wanted to take, but I had no idea how to get started, I was also a bit worried about how I was going to put in the time and actually get fully submerged into learning.

A friend of mine recommended HyperionDev and after a couple of months of playing with the idea, I decided to make the bold move of resigning my job and taking on their full time Software Engineering Bootcamp. I started with barely any knowledge of the field, I put my head down and invested all of my time to working on the tasks.

It was a challenge (as is to be expected) but with the help of my assigned mentor I managed to get through the tasks and build up my foundations task by task. I ended up finishing the course and took to solidifying my knowledge by getting involved in the forums and helping students when they stuck.

Around 2 weeks later I was contacted by Sobane who asked if I would be interested in joining the HyperionDev team as an intern developer and helping out the onsite students as a teacher's assistant. I jumped at the opportunity and am now realising what a strong foundation the bootcamp actually gave me.

Overall it is a great course that covers a lot of ground and by the end of it you will have the confidence you need to enter the job market. Other than the personalised mentorship I would say a massive highlight of the bootcamps is the tasks, they are challenging and force you to apply the knowledge you have covered previously, making sure that it sticks with you.

• Ruan de Beer • Unemployed • Student

I joined Hyperion Dev before... well better to say i tried to get into the free course, but didnt make the cut. I later tried again. This time i joined the payed course. I took the chance of using the money for my car to invest into my future in Software Developer. I am close to half way done with my course and loving every moment of it. My mentor is extremely helpful and the other students help eachother out. We are like a small family that are striving to see eachother succeed. I have 2 months remaining and i am moving forward at a great pace and undestanding the work i do better the more i work with it. In the future i will come back for the other courses should the need arrise or should i have the time. I can't say anything on the job assistance because im still busy with the couse, but i believe in Hyperion Dev.

• Robert Zeelie • Student • Graduate

Overall it was a fantastic and educational experience! The content provided was very interesting and insightful which made it enjoyable to learn with focuses on python and java as well as some touches on MySQL, git, jUnit and more! Instructions were very clear and they helped with everything from how to install the required software to code quality. There were some challenging tasks but the mentor assigned to help me throughout my course was very helpful and helped me see my mistakes from a different view as well as providing some further reading to help me understand even more. They were very accommodating as I ended up in hospital during the course and they paused it until I was able to continue. I have now completed the Systems Engineering course and they are actively helping me find a job by preparing me with practice interviews and applying to companies on my behalf.

I would definitely recommend this course to anyone looking to learn and pursue a career in systems engineering.

• Darryl • Graduate

The course was well thought out and relevent to the current market and up to date technologies, covering most aspects of web development. I felt that the support was excellent, with constant daily feedback on my code as well as in online chat/video sessions if necessary. I was always kept engaged with projects and very practical examples.

The curriculum would benefit from a few more advanced projects to showcase skills at the end of the course.