coding-dojo-logo

Coding Dojo

Arlington, Boise, Chicago, Dallas, Hybrid (Online & In-person), Los Angeles, Oakland, Online, Orange County, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Tulsa

Coding Dojo

Coding Dojo is a unique coding bootcamp that teaches three full technology stacks in a single 14-week program. Coding Dojo has campuses in has campuses in Berkeley, Boise, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Jose, Seattle, Tulsa, Tysons Corner, and online. Students can choose to learn three of the industry’s most in-demand web development languages, including Python, Ruby on Rails, MEAN, Java or .NET Core. An online option is also available for students who don’t have access to campuses. In addition to an extensive curriculum, students receive 15 hours/day of mentored guidance, quick feedback in the evening from remote Teacher Assistants and tailored course content that accommodates both beginners and experienced developers. Students experience building advanced web applications, solving job-relevant problems and learning to think like true software engineers.

To apply, candidates answer questions via an online form, schedule an interview with a Coding Dojo staff member, then if accepted, must pay a deposit to secure their place.

Since 2012, Coding Dojo has endeavored to help individuals from a variety of backgrounds and skill levels transform into professional developers who go on to be hired by start-ups and world-class companies like Amazon, Apple, Expedia, Microsoft, JPMorgan Chase, DocuSign and Skytap. For each student, Coding Dojo promises one-on-one sessions with a career advisor, open forums with industry leaders, and comprehensive job-hunting workshops.

Coding Dojo welcomes Veterans and accepts the GI Bill at selected campuses, as well as offering a Gap Year program for high school grads. Coding Dojo also provides various scholarship opportunities for qualified students.

Recent Coding Dojo Reviews: Rating 4.44

all (471) reviews for Coding Dojo →

Recent Coding Dojo News

Read all (62) articles about Coding Dojo →
  • Gap Year Onsite Software Development Immersive Bootcamp

LocationBoise, Orange County, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, Chicago, Arlington, Tulsa, Dallas
    Spend 6 months of your gap year with Coding Dojo and become a self-sufficient software developer with hands-on programming experience though our in-depth three-stack curriculum—complete with real-time support from instructors, our industry-tested learning platform, hands-on assignments and much more. Ideal for students interested in web development who are not sure what career they want to focus on, this Gap Year bootcamp is a full-time immersive experience in which you will master the fundamentals of web and software development, learn 3 full stacks - Python, MEAN, and Java, and gain valuable skills for a career in tech. Personal Growth Discover who you are as a person and what you want to do in life Boost your motivation for further academic pursuit Become more mature, independent and self-aware about your strengths and weaknesses Career Ready Mindset Build important soft skills to enhance your academic performance in college Find the right fit major and career path based on your self-discovery Gap year graduates report that their gap year had significantly added to their employability Gap Year Curriculum Full stack Development Program - 14 weeks of immersive Web Development program (HTML/CSS/Javascript), Python, MEAN, Ruby, C#/.Net. Career Services - 2 weeks of career readiness workshops (resume, cover letter, networking, Linkedin profile) Project Based Internship - 4 Weeks of project based internship to build your own portfolio (weekly check-in with a mentor) Explore A New City The Gap Year Program is available at all of our campuses. Explore living in a new city while developing your tech skills. Learn By Doing You’ll start coding from day one of the course. Dive into a fast-paced, innovative learning environment that fosters collaboration, not competition. After graduation, you’ll jump straight into the job-hunt with the support of our career services team. You Get What You Put In Students are expected to dedicate at least 70 hours/week to the program, with the most successful students dedicating 70-90 hours/week. Our students often say that Coding Dojo is the most rewarding, yet difficult thing they’ve ever done. Life During the Course In the morning you’ll start with new curriculum that will build on top of what you learned the day before. Depending on the day, your morning may include an algorithm session, lecture, group activity, or a combination of all 3. Your afternoons and nights will be spent working through course content, assignments, and projects on the new curriculum for the day, with breakout sessions available upon request.
    Deposit$1,000
    Financing: Monthly financing plans available via Skills Fund

Tuition Plans$1,000 deposit followed by 2 payments or monthly payment plans available via Skills Fund.
    Refund / GuaranteeDeposits are required to reserve your seat in the bootcamp, and are refundable until day 1 of class.
    ScholarshipScholarships up to $4,000 are available for veterans, women, and other underrepresented groups in the technology industry. Email scholarships@codingdojo.com to learn more.
  • Online Software Development Immersive Bootcamp - Full-time

LocationOnline, Dallas
    Our Online Full-Time Immersive Bootcamp is a remote learning alternative that provides online access to our in-depth three-stack curriculum—complete with real-time support from instructors, our industry-tested learning platform, hands-on assignments and much more. Ideal for students interested in web development who cannot attend our on-campus programs, this online bootcamp is a full-time immersive experience in which you will master the fundamentals of web and software development, and 3 full stacks - Python, MEAN, and Java - over 14 weeks, learning valuable skills for a career in tech. On a national scale, 94%* of our alumni land a job in 180 days after graduating, with an average salary of $76,000 per year. Learn more at https://www.codingdojo.com/full-time-online-bootcamp Your Career Starts From Day 1 Your career as a full-stack software developer starts on your first day. Within 14 weeks we’ll turn you into a self-sufficient, well-rounded software developer who has all the critical skills to have a long, healthy career in tech. Three Full Stacks & Self-Sufficiency Our goal is to train you into a self-sufficient, versatile developer through our 3 Stack Curriculum. In 14 weeks, you’ll learn 3 in-demand stacks in the industry, have a portfolio to show, and have triple the job prospects, as every company uses a different stack. Learn By Doing You’ll start coding from day one of the course. Dive into a fast-paced, innovative learning environment that fosters collaboration, not competition. After graduation, you’ll jump straight into the job-hunt with the support of our career services team. You Get What You Put In Students are expected to dedicate at least 70 hours/week to the program, with the most successful students dedicating 70-90 hours/week. Our students often say that Coding Dojo is the most rewarding, yet difficult thing they’ve ever done. Life During the Course In the morning you’ll start with new curriculum that will build on top of what you learned the day before. Depending on the day, your morning may include an algorithm session, lecture, group activity, or a combination of all 3. Your afternoons and nights will be spent working through course content, assignments, and projects on the new curriculum for the day, with breakout sessions available upon request. Career Services We offer career support to all students and alumni to help accomplish their short and long-term career goals. Whether you're applying for your first job or you're an industry veteran, we understand that building a career is a life-long process. Participants of the program will have access to a wide range of services, such as one-on-one sessions with a career advisor, open forums with industry leaders, comprehensive job-hunting workshops, and more!
    Monthly financing plans available via Skills Fund

Tuition Plans $1,000 deposit followed by 2 payments or monthly payment plans available via Skills Fund.
    Refund / GuaranteeDeposits are required to reserve your seat in the bootcamp and are refundable until day 1 of class.
    ScholarshipScholarships up to $4,000 available for veterans, women, and other underrepresented groups in the technology industry. Email scholarships@codingdojo.com to learn more.
  • Online Software Development Immersive Bootcamp - Part-time

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Django, jQuery, CSS, Algorithms, Python
    Our Part-Time Online Web Development Bootcamp is a flexible evening and weekend course that teaches web fundamentals and a full Python stack — complete with real-time support from instructors, our industry-tested learning platform, hands-on assignments and much more. Ideal for students who cannot attend our on-campus programs, or commit to a full-time course, you'll learn the skills needed to become a self-sufficient developer in as little as 20-25 hours per week. Comprehensive Curriculum Develop projects in a vast range of technologies, starting with front-end development in Web Fundamentals. From there, dive into back-end development centers around Python and put on the finer touches with AJAX and modularization. Top it off with 4 weeks of project building and algorithms. Live Instructor Support Receive hands-on support from our instruction team through live evening classes twice a week, multiple office hours, plus evening weekend support through our chat forum. Top-Tier Platform Quickly learn the essentials of the most in-demand technologies through our online Learning Platform, which has trained thousands of Coding Dojo students. Code From Home Experience the accelerated training of our on-campus bootcamps from the comfort of your home without quitting your day job. You’re only required to dedicate at least 20 - 25 hours per week toward during the bootcamp. Career Services We offer career support to all students and alumni to help accomplish their short and long-term career goals. Whether you're applying for your first job or you're an industry veteran, we understand that building a career is a life-long process. Participants of the program will have access to a wide range of services, such as one-on-one sessions with a career advisor, open forums with industry leaders, comprehensive job-hunting workshops, and more!
    Tuition Plans$1,000 deposit followed by 4 monthly payments of $2,248.75
    Refund / GuaranteeDeposits are refundable until day 1 of class.
  • Onsite Software Development Immersive Bootcamp - Full-time

Our Onsite Full-Time Immersive Bootcamp will teach you more than coding - you'll learn how to solve problems and be a self-sufficient developer. When you're fully immersed in our three full stack curriculum, you'll master the fundamental building blocks of web and software development, making you a highly valuable, desirable asset throughout your career. The 14-week course includes real-time support from instructors, our industry-tested learning platform, hands-on assignments and much more. Ideal for students interested in fast-tracking a successful career in tech, this onsite bootcamp is a full-time immersive experience in which you will master the fundamentals of web and software development, and 3 full stacks - Python, MEAN, and Java - over 14 weeks, learning valuable skills for a career in tech. On a national scale, 94%* of our alumni land a job in 180 days after graduating, with an average salary of $76,000 per year. Learn more at https://www.codingdojo.com/full-time-online-bootcamp Your Career Starts From Day 1 Your career as a full-stack software developer starts on your first day. Within 14 weeks we’ll turn you into a self-sufficient, well-rounded software developer who has all the critical skills to have a long, healthy career in tech. Three Full Stacks & Self-Sufficiency Our goal is to train you into a self-sufficient, versatile developer through our 3 Stack Curriculum. In 14 weeks, you’ll learn 3 in-demand stacks in the industry, have a portfolio to show, and have triple the job prospects, as every company uses a different stack. Learn By Doing You’ll start coding from day one of the course. Dive into a fast-paced, innovative learning environment that fosters collaboration, not competition. After graduation, you’ll jump straight into the job-hunt with the support of our career services team. You Get What You Put In Students are expected to dedicate at least 70 hours/week to the program, with the most successful students dedicating 70-90 hours/week. Our students often say that Coding Dojo is the most rewarding, yet difficult thing they’ve ever done. Life During the Course In the morning you’ll start with new curriculum that will build on top of what you learned the day before. Depending on the day, your morning may include an algorithm session, lecture, group activity, or a combination of all 3. Your afternoons and nights will be spent working through course content, assignments, and projects on the new curriculum for the day, with breakout sessions available upon request. Career Services We offer career support to all students and alumni to help accomplish their short and long-term career goals. Whether you're applying for your first job or you're an industry veteran, we understand that building a career is a life-long process. Participants of the program will have access to a wide range of services, such as one-on-one sessions with a career advisor, open forums with industry leaders, comprehensive job-hunting workshops, and more! *Published in February 2018, this is based upon a survey that was sent to alumni who graduated between January 2015 and October 2017. Out of the respondents, 94% are employed full time in field. 75% of alumni find jobs within 3 months.
    Monthly financing plans available via Skills Fund

ScholarshipUp to $4,000 in scholarships available for veterans, women, and other underrepresented groups in the technology industry. Email scholarships@codingdojo.com to learn more.
  • DAVID WILLIAMS  User Photo
    DAVID WILLIAMS • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I attended Coding Dojo starting in June of 2019. Right away I noticed that I was putting together the dots that I was missing trying to learn this on my own. The course was very demanding, but in a good way. I was very interested in the curriculum, they made it fun with real life applications, and small games. I started off in the Tech industry as a Graphic Designer, and felt like I wanted to do a little more. Coding Dojo made this dream a little more visual and I seen that I could anything if I put my mind to it , it I persevere. After the Camp they helped me reshape my resume, and apply my skills to the job search. Im currently looking but I learned that the Journey isn't over until you reach your goals.

• Tim  User Photo
    Tim • Chaplain • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I enjoyed finding out the environment and culture of programming. I learned so much! I appreciate learning about the immense value programming has for almost every piece of technology. Regarding the instructors, I appreciate how they told our cohort the high expectations, from the very beginning.

Having finished a master's thesis only five months ago, the daily schedule during this bootcamp experience was more demanding! I learned to sleep less, think about homework more, and often work on coding through the night. If you would like to say "Hello World" to the "crunch time" that game developers talk about, if you would like to know the lifestyle of the programming greats, or if you would like to take on one of the most difficult challenges of your life, an onsite, immersive experience at Coding Dojo might just be the right fit for you. I recommend coming to an open house, talking personally with the instructors, and getting a tour of the Coding Dojo location that interests you.

- 10/5/2019
    Insiya  User Photo
    Insiya • Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I have been a student at Coding dojo. I joined the online software developement program. I had some background with computer science, that made it easier for me to further learn and make projects using HTML, CSS and Javascript. With Python I selected C# for my third stack and the instructors helped me understand basic requirements. I would recommemd this program to starters as this bootcamp provides 24/7 assistance from TA's and the instructors are really supportive.

• Ryan Baermann  User Photo
    Ryan Baermann • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the Onsite Immersive Course, which is a 14 week course. You start in Web Delevopment, going into Python, C#, and then MEAN (MongoDB, Express.js, Angular.js, Node.js). After graduating High School, I was always at dead end jobs. After having my child, I knew I had to do something quick. My brother came up to me asking if I wanted to join this intense boot camp with him and I agreed. On day one we dove head on with code, learning front end development and algorithms. They ask you put in as much time as you possibly can, hoping for around 80+ hours. I myself, at the beginning, put in around that much, but as I became more comfortable, I started attending for about 60+ hours. There were multiple moments were I hit a wall, but having someone close who also attended definitely helped out. At some points, the curriculum would be outdated, or very unhelpful, but they highly incourage you to google as much as you possible can. Google is 100% your best friend during this course. If you are interested in the tech field at all, or just curious. There are times where an instructor can not be found, or they are in depth with another student, which can be very aggrivating. Having the other students around you will help with keeping you moving forward, and are very helpful if you get stuck. I highly recommend you come to this course; even if you do not plan on doing anything with coding, learning how the world around you works is amazing. Many times I will see something where I now think how it could run more efficently, or just how it may work.

• Jay  User Photo
    Jay • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the onsite immersive program for 14 weeks at Coding Dojo in the Seattle area. Before I started the program, I had little to no prior knowledege or experience in the field of technology. I spent a lot of long hours, (80+) each day at the Dojo working on assignments. The goal of the program is to prepare students to become self sufficient developers by giving in-depth knowledge of the latest technologies that are in demand in the tech industry. You will spend most of the time learning the language on your own and sometimes with other small groups of people. One thing that sets Coding Dojo apart from other bootcamps is they have a one hour session in the morning that is mainly focused towards algorithims and data structures. The instructors give a mini lecture and students work in groups to solve real world algorithims that could be brought up during a real interview for a job opputunity. Most of the instructors were helpful with guidence and support. One thing to change could be updating the platform to what is current such as the versions of the technolgy. Overall, I enjoyed my time at Coding Dojo, putting long grueling hours was well worth it in the end of my 14 weeks!

- 9/27/2019
    Carl  User Photo
    Carl • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

If I had to rate my experience while attending Coding Dojo Berkeley. I would have to say that deciding to attend the bootcamp was one of the best decisions that I have made for myself. The rate at which you learn is phenomenal. The amount of material that I learned in the three months whille in the bootcamp would have taken me years on my own. Not only did I learn all of these skills, I've met great people also. The instructors are really helpful and patient. The manager always makes sure that the students are always accommodated. Overall, Coding Dojo is great! I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Tulsa Onsite
    - 9/7/2019
    Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Independent Contractor • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The program is intense. Be prepared to commit the time (80+hrs/wk) and energy. You will get out of the program what you put in. I averaged around 84hrs a week through the whole course, with some weeks being less and others much more.

DO NOT SKIP DAYS. Don't even skip morning algorithms. Get there early, get your coffee, and get motivated.

Your cohort is your team. They will have different backgrounds and approaches. Learn from them and they will learn from you. ALWAYS offer to trouble shoot their code if they are struggling and be welcoming to requests for help. Reading and diagnosing their code is of immense value to you and you have much to learn from the experience.

DO NOT GET HUNG UP ON THE WHY. There are decisions language designers made about languages and modules and libraries that will not make sense, often because their reasoning is beyond the scope of your initial learning. Getting hung up on why prevents you from progressing.

PART OF THE LEARNING IS ERRORS. You will get them. You will need to research them. This is part of the learning experience and it is VERY important to your future career. As I write this, my first software contract is for a machine learning implementation. I anticipate a lot of errors and there will be no one to tell me the answers or course material to correct my deficiencies. Which leads me to...

THE TWENTY MINUTE RULE- Obey. Do not sit there and churn your wheels. Seek help once you've spent the time giving it a good try. You may not resolve every problem in 20 mins and that is fine. You learn something every time. Continuing your progression, during the course, is more important than solving every problem on your own.

You will find errors in the material; you will encounter parts that are not as well-explained as you would like. Guess what. The same goes for technology documentation. While I'd love for ever part of the course to be explained in just the right way for me (and Coding Dojo should always try to improve their material), getting around these obstructions is a learning experience too. Do your part to help by giving good feedback and reporting errors when you find them. Several changes in Windows related materials were corrected post-haste when my cohort reported them and their solutions.

On that note, GET FAMILIAR with your computer. Do not buy it three days before course start. You want to be familiar with the computer and know it will be good to work from. You may find typing for a few hours, the keyboard is uncomfortable or that it is a lemon or defective. These are not things to find out on day one or two nor something to battle continuously through the program. If you can, practice working across two screens. This is very important skill.

MOST IMPORTANT- Your attitude. This program does not hand everything to you on a platter, much less one made of silver. You will work for your knowledge. This is good preparation for the working world. Your fellow cohort members will be like your future co-workers and your instructor will be like your leadership on a project. Learn to function in the environment.

Good luck.

• Zach  User Photo
    Zach • Graduate Verified via GitHub

As cliche as it sounds you really do get out what you put in with this bootcamp. Given that, if you really want to get the most out of it, you should go into this bootcamp with at least some coding experience. If you have never coded before it’s a big risk just jumping into a bootcamp assuming that you will a) have the aptitude for it and b) enjoy it. When I joined this bootcamp I already had some coding experience: I have an engineering degree in another discipline and did some light coding when I was a kid (I believe I had a Geocities page at some point). For me this bootcamp was relatively easy but I definitely had moments where I did struggle. From what I observed from my less technically inclined peers, many of them struggled, but the ones that actually put in the full 70-90 hours a week (closer to 90) really excelled. For example, one of the students I worked with on a project had previously worked as an auto-body mechanic. He ended up taking one of the exams early because he was putting 12+ hour days, six days a week and prepared for this bootcamp weeks in advance. I would never have known he had no experience in coding before. So you really do get out what you put in.

As to the actual content of the bootcamp, the camp is divided into sections. The first two weeks you learn HTML, CSS, javascript, Jquery, SQL and git. These are going to be the fundamentals you are going to use throughout the bootcamp. Next you start your first stack, the Python Stack which is three weeks. After Python you spend a week on projects and/or test retakes, you do this after each stack. The last two stacks are C# and MEAN which are also three weeks with a project/test retake week after. As you can see they move very quickly here, they probably only spend about two days on language fundamentals and the rest on frameworks. Because it is so fast paced, I personally feel we don’t get enough of a deep dive into each language/stack. Personally, and at least one other graduate has had this idea, I think they should only do two stacks and do a deeper dive into each stack.

Most of your learning takes place from readings and assignments on their platform. The platform does enough to walk you through the process of creating web apps, however I wish it got more in depth as I mentioned above. After this bootcamp you really are going to have to buckle down and take a deeper dive into each stack to really understand them. Additionally, sometimes that platform is flat out wrong. For example, one of the instructors tried to do a deployment demo using the platform and he had to stop because there were to many issues with it so he said he was going to re-write that section on the platform, which he did. The platform also had videos where instructors would walk through code however most of the time I didn’t find it very helpful so I’d watch them at 2X speed.

The instructors are great, it is true that some of them are former students who haven’t worked in the industry before however they are still very knowledgeable (they go through a six month on the job training before they are full fledged instructors) and passionate. My only complaint about the instructors is that there were not enough of them or TAs. For example, because of some circumstances, the entire dojo only had one instructor for three cohorts for about a week. Many of us were not happy about that.

In summary, while this bootcamp may have it’s faults, this is a great bootcamp for those who are highly motivated, can sacrifice basically almost all their waking time for 14-weeks, have at least a little previous programming experience and are independent learners.

• Great Bootcamp
    - 8/30/2019
    Kaysee Weberski  User Photo
    Kaysee Weberski • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Although the pacing sounds daunting at first, I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth the bootcamp went! The staff at the Oakland campus are fantastic (Vinson and David, with TAs Drue and Ray) and they always do there best to assist you throughout the program. On top of that, the program does their best to ensure you can work as comfortably as possible by providing a stocked kitchen and some fairly flexible hours for the convenience of students. Speaking of which,  it has also been wonderful working with so many other pleasant students. Overall, the atmosphere of the program is very social and supportive, which makes for a great learning environment. It was super awesome to see how easy it is to take in computer languages after you get the ball rolling (this is coming from someone with no coding experience). Even though I was green in the field, I was able to make it through, which means I’m sure you can too :).

• Maiya  User Photo
    Maiya • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I enjoyed this course thoroughly. I've learned how to apply the CS concepts that I learned in college to actual projects that I learned how to deploy. I did find the course material a bit easy, but that is because of my previous experience, as the course is designed for absolute beginners. Vinson is amazing - get ready to play sports every week and get beaten by the smartest and most athletic guy you will ever know!

• Shawn  User Photo
    Shawn • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Deciding to attend the Coding Dojo onsite bootcamp in Oakland has easily been one of the best decisions I've made. I came into the program with no programming expierence and in just 3 1/2 months I am able to do things I never thought possible. The program is hard and very rigorous but it really changes the way you approcah programming and learning in general. The way the course is designed really gives you a ton of confidence in your ablilities to learn things quickly. They give you all the tools to learn 3 full stacks (Python, MEAN, and Java) in a short period of time. This really prepares you for a fast moving tech world where in an instant you might need to learn a new language.

The lead instructor Vinson is one of the best teachers I've ever had. He really helps you grow as a developer by giving you the push you need to get better everyday. He is very enthusiastic and knowledgeable which makes the learning expierence fun and something to look forward to. The program manager David is also wonderful and does everything he can to help make the program run smoothly.

Overall my expierece at Coding Dojo has been amazing. The friendships and knowledge I've gained has made my time there unforgettable. I would highly recommend this program to anyone!

• A worthy program
    - 7/2/2019
    Sean  User Photo
    Sean • Verified via LinkedIn
    learned alot at a quick pace, the environment of students around me made me feel welcome