code-fellows-logo

Code Fellows

Portland, Seattle

Code Fellows

Code Fellows offers full-time and part-time software development courses in Seattle, Washington. Since their first cohort in 2013, Code Fellows has taught over 1000 graduates and iterated on their curriculum and format to ensure students receive the most industry-relevant training as effectively and efficiently as possible. Students are immersed in their learning with daily lectures, pair programming, weekly presentations from professionals in the industry, one-week project sprints, and more. Code Fellows graduates work at Microsoft, Zillow, Expedia, XBOX, NIKE, Amazon, Starbucks, Nordstrom, and over 500 other companies.

The modular style of the Code Fellows program allows students to test into the course level that is most appropriate for their current skill level. In addition, the modular class structure allows students to choose the schedule and timing that meets their needs. Developers with some programming experience can test into an intermediate or advanced-level programming course, while novice coders can build their experience from the ground up, starting with an introductory course. Code Fellows also offers courses that run nights and weekends, accommodating for students who are working full-time jobs.

Code Fellows’ 10-week Code 401 course is offered in four specializations: Python, full-stack JavaScript, Java, and.NET. Most students generally choose to pursue one of these Code 401 specializations.

Recent Code Fellows Reviews: Rating 4.16

all (118) reviews for Code Fellows →

Recent Code Fellows News

Read all (35) articles about Code Fellows →
  • Code 102: Intro to JavaScript

JavaScript
    In PersonPart Time15 Hours/week1 Week
    LocationSeattle
    Not sure where or how to start learning JavaScript? Or maybe you’re discouraged by the confusing interfaces, unclear error messages, and unexplained concepts of online coding tutorials. If you’re ready to move past the concepts covered in Code 101 and work with experienced developers who can help guide you through your online learning, join us for Code 102! You’ll blast through Khan Academy's JavaScript tutorials and get a better understanding of the programming ecosystem.
    Tuition PlansTuition due at registration.
  • Code 401: Advanced Software Development in ASP.NET Core

C#, .NET, ASP.NET, Data Structures, Algorithms
    LocationSeattle
    Learn to write clean, well-tested, advanced C# code using industry standard software engineering patterns and Microsoft's new ASP.NET Core framework. You will use Visual Studio 2017 to create ASP.NET MVC Core applications and work with Azure to deploy the applications onto a live server. The course focuses on fundamental computer science concepts like object-oriented programming, advanced data structures and algorithms, and the foundations of Microsoft’s ASP.NET Core Framework.

Tuition PlansTuition due by the first day of the course.
    ScholarshipDiversity Scholarships are available for Code 201, Code 301, and Code 401 courses: https://www.codefellows.org/scholarships-and-financing/
  • Code 401: Advanced Software Development in Java with SpringMVC & Android

Data Structures, Algorithms, Android, Java
    LocationSeattle
    Learn to write clean, crystal-clear, well-tested, advanced Java code using industry standard software engineering patterns while building servers with SpringMVC and mobile apps with Android. In this course, you will use IntelliJ IDEA and Android Studio to create Java applications. You will deploy the applications onto live servers with Heroku, install your Android applications onto your phone, and have the apps communicate with Firebase, Google's realtime database. The course focuses on fundamental computer science concepts such as object-oriented programming, advanced data structures and algorithms, Big O asymptotic analysis, and the structure of statically typed languages.

• Code 401: Advanced Software Development in Python

Python, Django, Data Structures, Algorithms
    LocationSeattle
    Learn the language used at NASA, Instagram, Dropbox, and other big-data companies as you build professional-grade apps in Python. Throughout this intensive course, you will study professional software development techniques and practices as you advance your skills in Python. This course includes career development curriculum to get you ready for your job search, plus job search assistance after graduation.

Tuition PlansTuition due by the first day of the course.
    ScholarshipSeveral Diversity Scholarships are available for full-time Code 301 and Code 401 courses: https://www.codefellows.org/scholarships-and-financing/

• iOS Track
    - 12/16/2015
    Miles Ranisavljevic • Student

My experience at Code Fellows has been great!  I came into the program with very little programming knowledge or experience, and I will be leaving feeling pretty ready to contribute as a developer wherever I land a job.  I have gotten plenty of help with the job placement, and have been very grateful for the feedback on social media, resumes, etc.

• Clare • FullStack Developer • Graduate

In a matter of 8 weeks, we covered a full MEAN stack, starting with node.js and Express.js. My teacher was Tyler who focused on teaching us test driven development, and donated a class per week to covering common whiteboarding questions.  In addition to practicing relevant code during the week, Tyler took the time to 'pull back the hood' and explain vairous behind the scene functions that we woudl otherwise not see happening. When we started covering Angular.js and MongoDB again we were developing using TDD, and learning how to build the most efficient stack based on the size of the project. Additionally, we had weekly projects focused on building servers and stacks with a team of 3 to 4 people, designed to build up our GitHub repos and teach us how to work on dev teams. The curriculum was challenging but fair, at times it seems rather rushed due to the time constraints in the class, however the teacher, TAs and staff were readily available when I needed them. There was also a day every week that was focused on career development from designing a resume, answering interview questions and negotiating salary. Overall this was helpful, but seemed a bit excessive for the limited class time we had to learn JavaScript.

The curriculum is in the middle of a refactor to make the course 10 weeks instead of 8. I think this is going to make the course even better than it was when I took it, since there is still a lot of material that gets brushed over. After graduating the class, I was able to land a job as a FullStack dev within a month of graduating. I did feel perpared to join a team after taking Code Fellows and have had similar reviews from my manager.

• Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

I had a great experience with Code Fellows. I found the subject matter and the curriculum to be fascinating and more exciting than I had imagined. I graduated from the Full-Stack JavaScript track, and they definitely covered the technologies that employers are currently looking for.

I do think the course could have been a little more challenging, and that there could have been more feedback provided as far as code styling/elegance is concerned.  I did graduate before they restructured their program, so perhaps that has changed. I believe it has a longer duration now, which is a huge plus.

After several months I was able to find employment at a small startup where im abel to work with the full stack and Im loving it.

This is a very thourough, immersive bootcamp style course.
    It is exhausting, but very educational. The environment is very inclusive and the students have very diverse backgrounds. Comfortable environment.
    40 hours a week, plus tons of homework. Two project weeks.

Be prepared for this class. Do the pre-week and as much self study as you can.

Not for the weak of heart.

I started this few months ago and their overall ideas are great but they don't teach new people to programming much. They throw a project at you and expect you to finish it. If you don't have any experience please don't sign up for this its way too much money for nothing. You can learn what they teach you on your own and save thousands.

• Monica Davidson • Front End Engineer • Graduate

Bootcamp for Front End Web Development. Taught HTML5, CSS3, CSS preprocessors, responsive web design/development, JavaScript and jQuery along with overall web design. Excellent course.

• Connected
    - 11/6/2015

Codefellows surprised me by how well connected into the community they are. The job placement services are really solid.

• Former IOS Student
    - 11/5/2015
    Tuan Vu • Lead IOS Dev at Start-up • Student

I came into Code Fellows with zero coding experience other than a few courses with Code Academy (online tutorials) which gave me a small taste of what coding would be like.   Needless to say, I was overwhelmed, even in then-Foundation II course, or the equivelant of the current 201 course.  For me, I never grasped the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, which is pretty easy, but I believed was poorly explained in F2.  The pace in both F2 and Dev Accelerator was too fast and many people were totally lost and were concerned with only getting the homework done rather than really understand why things worked they way they did.  Courses were 6 hours a day total for 2 months, which I think should have been longer.  At least 8hrs for 3 months would be ideal.  The instructors and staffs are great people, but like most start-ups, everything was a little scrappy, but the intentions were there.  Which means every class gets better and better.  I spoke with people 2-3 courses ahead of me and their curriculum really paled in comparison to mine.  And talking to people who are in the current courses, my curriculum paled to theirs.  Despite being the 2nd worse performing students in class, I ended up being one of the first to get a job with $90k salary and am currently the Lead iOS Dev.  In contrast, our class superstars had a lot more trouble getting jobs.  There's a lot more that goes into getting a job than just technical skills.  You need grit and good social skills.  You dont' have to be life of the party, but you better not be a lone wolf.  Overall, CF is constantly improving.  One last thing, the resources are there -- from help with resume, connections with start-ups, technical assistance, whatever -- it is all there.  You just have to seek it out.  Too many people think that CF will hold their hands the entire time.  Not the case.

• Larry Scroggins • Jr. Javascript Developer • Graduate

Tl;dr. Go here. You'll learn everything you need to know to get an entry-level developer job.

After many years working in a job I disliked and in an industry where I felt like a fish out of water, I decided to make a change. Through my work I had been exposed to scripting and had put tentative fingers into the javascript mountain, but it wasn't until Code Fellows came along that I felt like I could really change my career.

I started out in the foundations classes. They were nice, and in retrospect fairly easy. Then I moved on to the Full Stack Javascript Engineering development accelerator. This was an 8 week intensive program. I lived javascript for those 8 weeks. Full days of learning how to code turned into nights working on homework. We had two group projects to get us working in teams. Our class paired with the UX/UI dev accelerator class to work on one of those projects. It gave a very good look at the dev process from beginning to end. The only thing missing was a project manager, but we worked that out.

You'll start by learning node. Then you'll learn whatever the hot backend frameworks of the day are. For my group it was Backbone and Angular. I understand that they've since switched to Angular and React. You'll do relatively easy things in the class setting and work on harder things during your projects.

Staff and instructors were great. The process of finding a job afterward was supplemented by the staff sending out places that they know are looking. I had at least one interview set up because CF sent my resume to a company. You'll have to do the majority of the job search on your own, but there is help available if you need it on your resume or practicing for interviews.

The only complaint I had about the whole thing was that I didn't find out I was accepted into the accelerator until the week before it started. A bit more advanced notice to get the financing squared away would have been nice. Also, their financing options at the time I went through weren't great, and the program is definitely not cheap.

• Leonardo • Associate Software Development Engineer at Expedia Inc. • Graduate

Code Fellows was a life changer for me. I came out of my Undergraduate with a double major in Philosophy and Comparative Religion from the UW. I pretty much had no professional working prospects, albeit a strong education and ability to think.

I studied programming after college by myself, but found myself continually becoming stuck without much help. I decided to take a leap of faith and take the Mobile Development Accelerator at Code Fellows.

The course did not 'hold my hand,' everyday we worked with a new iOS framework. We developed a unique app each week, and practiced the essential concepts in iOS development. We on the top of the curve, as we were the second educational institution to use Swift in an educational setting.

In terms of general programming they:

• Gave me a great education in structuring working software
    • A pragmatic working knowledge of data structures
    • Hands-on Q&A sessions with the instructors 1-on-1.
    • The ability to actively engage new prospective students, teaching to cement your own learning.

The course gave me an environment to help me excel at learning and adapting in a workplace, but the otherside of the coin is as important too, actually getting a job. They had me covered in:

• Life time support for Coding Interviews, and Resume help.
    • Supporting me the whole process until I got a job.
    • An immediate network as well as lots of opportunities to help me network.

My only gripe is that I landed a job in the end at Expedia as an Associate Software Developer working in web technology. I chose mobile because I am extremely passionate in learning about hardware and working with mobile devices. However the opportunities that working at a Fortune 500 will open, makes up for the deficit that I'm not working actively in mobile development.

I know that they are continually improving their courses and their job search support. I know if I go in there looking for a new job that I'll be met with lots of wonderful opportunities and be able to find something both quickly and something I'd love to do.

• Anonymous • Technical Project Manager • Graduate

I graduated from the Python Development Accelerator in the Spring of 2015. The course was fast paced and focused on real world programs and methods. After graduation, I was prepared to enter the work force and knew how to present myself and had the tools to continue my learning and experience on my own time.

I would and do recommend Code Fellows to my peers quite often with the only caveat having to do with the job market. Seattle is indeed hiring developers like crazy, but the industry is still warming up to graduates of code schools like Code Fellows, IF you don't have technical experience already.

In my experience, Python graduates have the most difficulty finding good jobs after graduation, not for lack of skill, but just because of how the industry is. Python specific jobs are few and far between, while strong developers who have Python as a tool in their tool kit, are in high demand. One of the main problems that I ran into was, companies that are looking for python devs, are looking more for backend devs that know C, C++, C#, Java, and Python is a plus. If they are looking for purely a python dev, they rarely have the bandwidth to absorb a junior dev. Having said that, the jobs do exist, they are just hard to find, and are often a sluggish process as experienced devs are put on the front of the queue.

JS specific jobs, on the other hand,  seem to be more common and can absorb less experienced developers. If someone asks me for advise on what class to take, I answer differently depending on the person. If you have little to no technical experience and no CS degree, like I had, the JS class might be a better way to get into the industry. If you are already a developer, have technical experience, or a CS degree.. Python could be a good fit.

I also can't leave a review or tell people about Code Fellows without mentioning the Python instructor Cris Ewing. The guy is amazing. He loves the industry, programming, python, and teaching. He pours his heart and soul into his students and will do everything he can to help you understand the material, IF you are hungry for it. Cris is excelent at what he does, and is a very busy person. If you are willing to put the hard work, effort, and time it takes to absorb the information, he will always have more for you to learn. If you just sit back and expect to be spoon fed.. You will get just as much as you put in.

The last bit of advise I give people is be patient with the job hunt. Sometimes it takes a while. I am not really sure where they get the statistics on job placement, but in my course, they aren't really that close to reality. I think with the JS courses, the placement statistics are pretty spot on. In my class, only a couple people out of the 12 person class had jobs in the first two months, and right now, at the 9 months mark, I know of at least two people that still don't have jobs, but are good developers. It just takes a while to find a job sometimes. I had right around 40 interviews before landing my job, which from the first contact, to my first day on the job, was 15 weeks. And that was without any "give us a couple months and we'll get back to you" which is something I heard a lot. The process just takes a while.

So if you are doing a complete career change, get a CS degree. If you can't, or don't want to, take the JS course, or be prepared for a long job hunt. But having said that... I don't have a degree, but have a 'just out of college' level job, about 2 years before I would have if I did the traditional school route. So I still count it as a win!

• Andrew Nelson • Application Developer • Graduate

I'm a software developer with thirty-odd years experience, from x86 assembler right on the silicon up through C and C++, to SQL stored procedures and SOAP Web services. But learning JavaScript full-stack dev was like hacking through a swampy jungle - there are a LOT of opinions out there, and like anything else, half of them are below average.

Where CF really added value for me was their deep experience with what hiring managers are actually hiring for.  After 8 weeks in the Mongo/Express/Angular/Node stack, I was ready for interviews, and in fact accepted a job offer during the last week of class.

There was a little bit of instability in the TA staffing, as both our TAs got jobs during the course (is that a bug, or a feature?), but the curriculum was solid and the instructor was outstanding - knowledgeable, articulate, and pretty funny, which doesn't hurt.

Would definitely take another CF course.

• Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

This class was seriously awesome. It was 8 weeks and covered a multitude of topics. Two of these weeks are dedicated to projects.  I actually got a job offer in the seventh week. They literally do everything they can to get you employable. You just have to put your effort forth. You get what you put in to it.  If you don't put much into it you will just see it as a waste of money.  They have a fairly structured program. You have 3 hours of lecture every day M-W and following that 3 hours of lab. On thursday you go over data structures and algorithms. This is essential to getting a job. Even though code fellows acknowledges that making a canidate do a whiteboarding test at job interview is not the best way at evaulating their skills they teach it to you because its just the way the job industry is. On Fridays they teach you about the strategic ways you should be applying for a job. It was super benefical because they help you form your resume, personal brand and linkedin. Their staff is very helpful and encouraging. The lectures help you understand the topics and you do homework and projects to nail in the concepts. The structure of the program is the key to making you employable. If it was just 8 straight weeks of lectures it wouldnt be the great program it is. The curriculum is dynamic and based off of what gets you a job. It is modern stuff and they dont teach you anything that wont help you get a job. During my interview I was able to answer all the question they asked becuase of what I learned. It so crazy that 2 months of learning can get you so far. This program is really a dream come true. If you want to work hard and change fields it can be right for you.

• Kevin Townsend • Ruby Developer • Graduate

Having been both a student and a TA at code fellows I can tell you that it's a wonderful atmostphere. The teachers really know what they are talking about and you can always ask someone for help.  Everyone is very patient and always willing to help.  You will learn everything you need to know about being a web developer in any course you take.  From the basics of yoru language, to how the request/response cycle works, to RESTful applications and datastructures and sorting algorithms, you will know how things work when you're done.

CF will always try to help you out with your studies and your job hunt.  Their space is made available for you, you get a mock interview and some solid help with writing your resume.  At the very worst, you get your money back if you can't find a job, but with only 3% of students unable to find a position, I doubt that will happen.

As a TA, I tried to continue this tradition by always making myself available to the students.  Generally, I could answer their questions off the top of my head, but if I couldn't I was more than willing to sit down and figure it out with the student.

It's really difficult to be in bad mood while at CF, if not impossible.  It's less of a school and more of a big family.  It's large enough that you get the benefits of the name, yet small enough that you get to know everyone.

I might be moving on for now, but I have a sneaking suspission that I'll be back :)

Hello, This is my expriance with Code fellows Foundation II: Front-End Design & Development

CF have the best instructors, they will do everything to make sure you have the best understating of any information they teach. Feedback on homework was minimal, but they were always available if I or any of the course participants needed help.

The course:
    The course itself on the other hand was a disappointment. I had some coding experience before from self-study and the help of teamtreehouse.com, so I skipped Foundation 1.

The class was almost identical to Foundation 1, they even had a better intro to JS. What differentiate the course from foundation 1 was the advanced CSS part. Sadly we skipped half of it "SCSS Part" because we spent. Part of it become we spent a big chunk of time ( almost 30%+ of the course) On Git because half of the class didn't take the "mandatory" Git workshop before the class started. the other reason is because course curriculum was not planned out to fit the course time.

The course had many faults and I think CF realized that. couple of month after graduation CF were offering a SASS/SCSS workshop (we were giving a discount, but I think we should have got it for free) and at the time I am writing this review the course disappeared from CF website (looks like no longer offered).

• Andre Gonzalvo • Field Engineer • Graduate

Taking the Foundations I course was an eye opener for me.  I was already working as a QA Test Engineer for a small tech startup but lacked the knowledge in Javascript and other programming language.  Code Fellows bridged this gap and gave me the knowledge and skill to be able to do my job better.  They gave me the resources to be able to help myself in finding out the information I need to be able to find the answer that I needed.  All in All the class was well worth the cost.

I feel so much more confident in my web development skills now that I have gone through the Computer Science & Web Development Bootcamp. It differs from the F1 night class in that it is more intense and more in-depth. For the majority of us, it didn't prepare us technically to go straight into a development accelerator from the bootcamp, but I feel like it did prepare us for what the experience would be like -- the long days filled with assignments, pair programming and the final project.

The curriculum is great, but a lot of it goes by so quickly, you'll need to spend time digesting it further after you graduate. They say the class is like work, but sometimes I would have preferred a bit more instruction. Overall, though it wasn't perfect, it was a great experience. Not for everyone, but for those who really want to be immersed in web development and build up a solid base of knowledge.

I rated the job assistance a 1 because it doesn't come with this class. Although, you are added to the alumni channel where jobs are sometimes posted.

I recently completed the Computer Science and Web Development Bootcamp offered by Code Fellows at their Seattle Campus. Our instructor was Sam Hamm, who has lots of previous teaching experience (in music) before becoming a Code Fellows instructor.  Frequently instructors fall in one of two camps. Some are obviously brilliant and know the content, but are awful at teaching.  Some are good teachers, but you can tell they're barely a chapter ahead of the students in the textbook.  Sam is a great teacher who also knows his stuff pretty well.

The course is advertised as fast-paced and intensive, which is basically true.  But it's not really that challenging.  If you complete the pre-work and come prepared you shouldn't have any problem.  Of course, the bootcamp is designed to take someone with no previous coding experience and introduce them to the basics of javascript and web design.  We had a pretty broad spectrum of expereience levels in our class, from people with degrees in informatics to people who haven't done any coding before whatsoever.  Coming in with a little experience helps. I think having done a little bit of Python and C++ in my past let me catch on a little quicker.

I learned a ton, however.  I basically went from knowing very basic HTML, heard of CSS, and never really touching Javascript before, to being able to put together almost professional-level interactive web pages.  This class doesn't teach any back-end.  Everything that you learn is front-end. So it's not the whole picture but nor is it designed to be.  It's a great introduction to web development, learning how to use git and github, javascript, html, and css fundamentals, and learning how to do some basic web server setup using Node and express.

I'm giving one star in Job Assistance because this class isn't designed to get you ready to be a full developer.  The Code Fellows way is to eventually take one of their Development Accelerators (DA), after which they guarantee a job or your money back. I haven't taken a DA so I can't speak to how well their job assistance is after one.

Three levels of classrooms and labs near the Amazon campus in South Lake Union, Seattle, Washington.   It was a hard class but the instruction was great and so was the support and help from teachers, ta's and students as well.  Lecture in the morning, lab in the afternoon.  Reading or tutorials at home each night.  I think immediate level of understanding varies according to your experience previously, but they really want you to succeed and they will help you as long as you help yourself.  The experience was invaluable to me.  I have a lot to learn btu I know I can get there with Code Fellows.

• Randy • Scientist • Graduate

Greetings,

I have recently graduated from the iOS dev accelerator at Code Fellows (Seattle).  The course was awesome, demanding, and inspiring.  There is absolutely NO WAY I could have or would have learned all that on my own in 8 weeks or even likely in 6 months.  I am switching careers from biotech and had spent the past 2 years attending university part time.  I was told about Code Fellows and bootcamps in general and after interviewing both grads and developers in the industry who had not attended a boot camp I decided that getting a certificate like this and spend the next 2 years in the industry would be a much better education compared to just attending classes at university and earning a second bachelor's degree.

Fast forward to the Dev Accelerator (DA).  I would recommend spending minimum 6 months on the stack you are thinking about taking before you jump in.  I was woefully underprepared but I figure at $5 per question I got my tuitions worth from the instructor over the 8 weeks.  He was patient, very knowledgable, probably 10 years my junior ;)  but I honestly cant say enough good about him (Go Brad!),  To be successful in the DA, really have nothing else going on during this time in your life, be passionate about coding and learning, dont sweat the small stuff, and work your tail off.  Dont quit, just drink more caffine!

There was a good amount of job search guidance in the program but they dont give you a job, just like everything else in the course you need to earn it.  You do the work, they provide support, guidance, and some leads.  If you are looking for rescuing from your current dead end job (like I was) you will need to break out of your own shell and put yourself out there.

Would I do it all over again?  After preparing more, you bet I would!

• Sarah Hermanns • Student

We are learning how to create mobile apps in Objective-C and Swift. We use industry tools and frameworks such as Cocoa, Xcode, UIKit, Git, and more. The class will dive deep into UIKit, asynchronous code, CoreImage, NSURLSession and JSON, MapKit and CoreLocation, AutoLayout, Source Control, Core Data, Animation, and the app submission process. I also took the computer science bootcamp as well as the Foundations II workshop for IOS.

• Tim Miller • Student

It was after a lot of consideration and researching that I decided to quit my job in retail to attend classes at Code Fellows. The only exposure to programming I had was free online courses, and I knew I would need something in person to take the next step. I spoke with alumni from seveal coding academy's in and around Seattle. And after weighing all options I knew if I wanted complete caree change my best option would be Code Fellows. I've started with just the Foundations 1 course and am completely loving it. I plan to take several more courses finally ending with one of the many development accelorators they offer. I have no question in my mind that I will be ready to enter the work force as a computer developer.

• Efrain • Software Dev • Graduate

Seattle Code Fellows is a great little code school right in the heart of downtown. Its literally next door to Amazon headquarters so you really get the feeling of being part of the tech community even as a student. The best part of the school is its focus on taking raw talent into developers.

They practice a methodolgy of having you start with a night course or two to make sure you have solids basics. The instructors at least for the python class (Cris Ewing) really care about the students.

They do a decent job on job placement but I think they could probably improve with some internship opportinites right out of the gates.

Over all strongly recomend!

In my Yelp review, I compared an investment in Code Fellows accelerator program to an investment in a classic Burberry trench coat. To continue that analogy, let's say that a few months later, I discovered that the lining on my coat started unraveling, which is unexpected for such a pricey item. I was part of the iOS Development accelerator program at CF and while there are things that could be improved, I would go through the program again.

The Cliff Notes version: CF will teach you how to ship apps and how to ship them fast. It will not teach you how to be a good engineer. It will take you about 25% of the way to getting a job, the rest is up to you.

What Code Fellows does well (from my experience within the iOS Dev accelerator):
    - Teach you how ship apps and how to ship them fast (we made 8 apps in 8 weeks, all of them are quite impressive and varied in functionality and types)
    - Give you a taste of what's it like to work as a developer (sort of). I learned a lot working with other developer wannabes and also with backend developers.
    - Expose you to these things called data structures, algorithms, memory management, and blah blah... other skills that you don't necessarily need to ship apps fast, but you actually need to build good, sustainable products.
    - And most importantly, they still treat you as if you're a student, even after you've long graduated. It's like the good ol' pension plan. It's a little too good to be true and probably not sustainable if poorly managed.
    - Give you the most up to date tools. Brad, the iOS instructor, is super passionate about his craft, so we learned the latest and greatest (WatchKit, Parse iOS SDK, etc).
    - Screen incoming students well. I really liked the people in my development accelerator. Great diversity too.

What CF does not do:
    - It doesn't have a strong network... yet. If you ask most CF alumni, you'll rarely find that they got their job from CF. CF is still a young company, establishing and expanding their networks in multiple cities. I think it would've been better if they had partnered with companies to get students working on real-world projects (like GA does) or to get students hired as interns or apprentice (like Ada Developer Academy).
    - It doesn't teach you how to be a good engineer. The old project management adage is true: fast, cheap or good, pick two. In this case, pick one (fast). There needs to be a bit more structure in the lab/homework part of the course. I wish I'd been tested on my knowledge of the topics discussed in lectures, either through an online quiz, HackerRank puzzle, etc. When I went to school here, the lab portion is pretty open: 4 hours to work on homework (with assistance from TA and instructor) or do whatever you want.
    - It doesn't train you to write beautiful code. This goes hand in hand with the previous point. I had a senior engineer look at my code, and it was embarrassing and insightful (thanks Aaron). I wish they'd put more emphasis on incorporating coding style guidelines when we were learning, but I'm not sure how much more stuff they could've crammed into our brain. It would also be helpful to learn about how to think like an engineer in a bit more systematic detail.
    - Again, it's a young company, so they're still working kinks out. There are some things they could be a bit more buttoned up about. Unfortunately at $10k a class, I don't think people are willing to tolerate much.

So there, my two cents on my classic Burberry trench coat. Would I do it again? Yes.

• Software Engineer
    - 8/14/2015
    Truyen Nguyen • Graduate

The student needs should have a basic background in Computer Science before apply for a bootcamp program.