propulsion-academy-logo

Propulsion Academy

Munich, Online, Zurich

Propulsion Academy

Propulsion Academy offers 12-week full-time bootcamps in full stack software development and data science in Zurich, Switzerland. The Full Stack Software Development program covers JavaScript, React.js, Docker, Python, Django, and more. The Data Science bootcamp covers R, Python, Machine Learning, natural language processing, and deep learning. Students participate in immersive, practical, and hands-on experience. Propulsion Academy aims to give students the chance to become programmers no matter their stage in life and is focused on democratizing IT education to enhance Switzerland as an important technology hub within Europe. Classes are hosted at Technopark Zürich.

Many Full Stack Development participants are beginners with some or no prior coding experience, while the Data Science students may have picked up basic programming in academia or while working within the industry. Expect both a non-technical and a technical interview throughout the application process.

Propulsion Academy's career services team coaches students and aims to match graduates with potential employers. Propulsion Academy graduates have been hired by companies like eBay, Novartis, Swiss International Airlines, AvaWomen, Swisscom as well as startups in Switzerland.

Recent Propulsion Academy Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (63) reviews for Propulsion Academy →

Recent Propulsion Academy News

• Data Science

LocationZurich, Munich, Online
    Learn the concepts of data analytics (Machine Learning, NLP, Deep Learning, Experimental Design, ...) and build solutions using technologies such as R and Python.
    DepositUpon enrollment, you are required to pay a non-refundable CHF 3,500 deposit to reserve your seat in the program. You will have 5 days after signing the enrollment agreement to then pay your deposit.
    Tuition PlansThe remaining balance is due by the end of the second week of the program.
    Prep WorkMust be completed before class start - takes 25 - 40 hours on average to complete.
  • Full-Stack Web Development

LocationZurich, Munich, Online
    Students will learn how to build web-based applications (client-side, database, programming with JavasScript and Python, and deployment).
  • Introduction to SQL

SQL
    CostCHF1,800
    This course starts by introducing you to DBeaver, a Software you will use to interact with databases. Then, you will learn how to define, manipulate and query data using SQL , starting from basic commands like how to create and modify tables, create, retrieve, update and delete records. Once you have enough practice with the basics, we will explore intermediate concepts such as joining tables, conditional expressions, indexing and views. Finally, we will cover advanced topics by looking at window functions, common table expression and database design.
    Minimum Skill LevelThe only prerequisite is that you own a computer, are new to SQL and are not intimidated by technology.
    Prep WorkNo.
  • Python Programming

Python
    CostCHF1,800
    Along with being the fastest growing programming language, Python is the language of choice for building data science. In this remote course you will get an in-depth hands on understanding of Python fundamentals from beginner to advanced level. This online course is for anyone new to Python with an interest in programming. This course will start with an introduction to Python and end with object oriented fundamentals. Along with fundamentals you will learn about Python data structures, automatically scraping data from the web, working with APIs (Google Maps, Twitter), create your own APIs using Flask, use Python with databases, and last but not least use python for generating automated reports. The course will end with a mini-project on the topic of your choice.
    Minimum Skill LevelThe only prerequisite is that you are new to Python and have an interest in programming
    Prep WorkNo.

• Ekaterina Butyugina  User Photo
    Ekaterina Butyugina • Teaching Assistant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I was looking for a job in Zürich for some time after career break, trying to find something close to Science since I finished Ph.D. in tech field. After thorough consideration of different ways to join Swiss job market I chose Propulsion Academy Bootcamp (Data Science Program) to achieve my goal as fast as possible and this was the right decision.

There was a lot of work, the pace is quite intense: in one day we learned one important topic for the field. Starting from basics (programming languages, tools, data preparation) to really advanced (neural networks, deep learning, TensorFlow, NLP). So after finishing the course we knew all the buzzwords and knew where to look for the solution if we have a problem.

However the curriculum is very well structured, you use the knowledge you got in previous days, teachers are helpful as well as TAs so it is doable.

You learn a lot, but What is also important - opportunity to meet people from the field and potential employers, talk to them. The final projects are also provided mostly by companies and are real-life issues so you can work on something valuable.

Overall, the school has an atmosphere of support and inspiration, which really helps to perform better and to gain your goals.

I met a lot of great people, totally changed my lifestyle and mindset, got a job, and I continue developing myself - that is exactly what I wanted from this Bootcamp.

• Herbert Manaog  User Photo
    Herbert Manaog • Junior Full-Stack Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Taking the Full-Stack Web Development course in Propulsion Academy was the best choice I made since coming to Switzerland. I can say that I learned a lot about web development in the three months I spent at Propulsion Academy. Propulsion Academy is also one of the major factors that helped me jump start my developer career here in Switzerland.

If you are planning to learn more about Web Development or Data Science then I suggest you to check out Propulsion Academy.

Cheers!
  • Tim  User Photo
    Tim • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    When I was prospective student I didn't find Course Report particularly helpful or trust worthy since all the ratings were basically 5 stars. Seemed suspicious. Anyway, now that I've finished the program I'll give my honest review.
    Overall, I felt that the program was extremely supportive of students and the teaching assistants were fantastic. The curriculum was great and well thought out. 12 weeks is not much time to learn Data Science and I felt like they did a good job of optimising the topics for the course length.

Sometimes for machine learning or challenging topics like neural networks you would have to suffer through for a couple hours before one of the teaching assistants was available to help you since they were attending other students. I understand that part of the program is putting the time in and grinding through the hard bits, but sometimes I felt that an extra teaching assistant would have been greatly appreciated by our class.

I think the fact that most of the people find jobs afterwards is more indicative of the types of people that do the course rather than the academy doing an exceptional job of helping people find jobs. Sure, they do try and send you a few job openings they find that might be of interest to you, and they do have some connections that might help you bypass some company 1st level screenings, but overall it's pretty much 100% on you to find a job afterwards. To be fair, the CEO Laurent did give a really helpful 1hr lesson on optimising your cover letter and preparing for interviews.

Will this course help you get a job as a Data Scientist as soon as you finnish? My experience so far is that it's hard to get a job as a DS right out the camp unless you have a pHD for the big companies. Your best bet is to find startup companies  for DS positions.
  • James  User Photo
    James • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I completed the full-stack program in November 2019, I then found a job at a very promising start-up who were impressed with my skills. The course was very professional, I learnt 10x of what my previous software internship taught me, and I made good friends that I will probably keep for life. I really cannot recommend this course and Propulsion Academy enough!
  • Worth the money
    - 8/25/2020
    Seth Dow  User Photo
    Seth Dow • Data Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I did quite a bit research before investing in this option for my career change. My main focus was on the return on investment. There are many ways you can measure the value of a bootcamp. Can you learn what they teach for cheaper? yes. Can you learn it faster? no. Can you get a broad understanding of the software landscape in as short of a time? no. You could do the same technical tasks on your own, yes, but what you don't get is immersion in the industry, confidence in your skills, a team of people who have been in the profession who can act as consultants on your path. This support system is invaluable. You are paying for expertise, and insider knowledge as well as what you get in the classroom. I believe that the personnel at Propulsion Academy are top notch and they are invested in your success. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have a job in industry, got an 80% raise from my previous position, and am really enjoying the challenge and it is all due to Propulsion Academy.
  • Juliet Bowater   User Photo
    Juliet Bowater • Data Scientist • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I was applying for bootcamps, I was interested in finding something that would have a high calbre of teaching and cover the groundwork in statistics and data analysis rather than just jumping straight into machine learning magic. I applied for Propulsion because it ticked these boxes, and was small enough to provide a personal experience, rather than feeling like a data scientist factory.

The Propulsion staff are really outstanding. Nitin, who was at the time managing the course and teaching a fair section of the curriculum, is extremely knowledgable and an excellent teacher. The TAs that we had at the time were patient and helpful, striking the right balance between allowing students to solve problems on their own and not leaving people to get frustrated for too long.

The staff are very well-connected to the community in Zürich, which means that they have an ear to the ground with upcoming jobs. They are invested in your success, and pull out all the stops in helping you find positions.

I learned a huge amount in the 3 months, especially from the project phase. Propulsion finds students interesting projects from local companies, so we were able to work on real-life problems and meet people from local industries.

Since graduating from the course, I have been working as a data scientist for a local start-up. Propulsion provided the ground-work that I needed to get started in this industry, so that I had a starting point to learn and grow on-the-job.

Absolutely no regrets in taking this course. I would say, the more effort you put into Python and statistics before you arrive, the more you will get out of it. There is a huge amount to learn, and having the basics in place means that you can concentrate more easily on the higher level concepts.

• Albin Plathottathil  User Photo
    Albin Plathottathil • Teaching Assistant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Going through the Data Science Intensive Program at Propulsion Academy was an amazing experience. The 12 weeks of intensive work is very well structured starting from the basics of programming languages and data preparation to advanced topics like NLP, TensorFlow, Neural Networks, Deep Learning. The hands-on exercise every day and data challenges once every week keeps reminding how much you learned in such a short time.
    The instructors having amazing backgrounds in academia and/or in big and famous companies. The Propulsion team should be appreciated the most - super friendly, always available and great mentors. The fellow participants with their diverse backgrounds also add to the richness of the program. Perhaps the most rewarding of all was the Project Phase being able to work with real data and seeing the results implemented.
  • Francesca Gambini  User Photo
    Francesca Gambini • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The Full-Stack Development at Propulsion Academy has represented my oportunity to move to Switzerland, become a full stack developer and get employed... all of this in just 4 months!

The program is challenging and the preparation starts even before the official beginning, but the support from the school and the highly skilled teachers is constant. Hard work is rewarded when realizing that you can build your own bricks game at the end of the first week of this bootcamp. It's jsut amazing how much is possible to learn in such short period of time.

Merits go to the team of Propulsion, every topic is explained by a different teacher that are able to share their knowledge, experience and answer all the questions. Also, material that is available for the students is well structured, complete and continuosly updated. Exercises can break your head but they are thought in a manner that they teach you how to solve logic problems and apply this mindset across different programming languages.

Finally, Propulsion is very committed to find us a job. They often organize events and invite speakers from the web development world to share their experience and suggestion on how to integrate in the job market. They really encourage us to connect with them and with the rest of their contacts. Also, there is a dedicated session on career development, on how to send applications and CV. For someone like me that was new to the Swiss job market, it has been fundamental to be exposed to this networking and receive all their suggestions.

• Tatiana  User Photo
    Tatiana • Software Development Intern • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The motto of Propulsion Academy is "Everybody can learn to code". And that's definitely true! I had NO prior coding experience before I enrolled in full-stack development programme. Moreover - I came with absolutely non-technical background (I have MA in linguistics and literature). But after 3 months of intensive studies and hundreds hours of hard work I was able to create my first working web-applications. And today I am a software development intern at a very cool company.

The programme of bootcamp is very well-structured and is very practical-oriented: every day after half-a-day lectures you code for minimum 4-5 hours. Sometimes the amount of new infromation is overwhelming, but teachers and teaching assistants are great - very friendly, helpful and competent. One of the most valuable things - the programme covers many hot technologies (e.g. Docker or React). I also liked the international atmosphere of the bootcamp and I found there a lot of like-minded people.

The Propulsion Team takes care about every student and helps a lot in application process (networking, CV review, mock interviews , etc.)

I am very happy that I graduated from this bootcamp - this changed my career as well as my life ;)

• Adrian Noetzli  User Photo
    Adrian Noetzli • Data Scientist and Application Specialist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

The Data Science Intensive program at Propulsion Academy was on point. Every day was an opportunity to learn new skills and get our hands dirty with coding. The lecturers were extremely knowledgable and came from a variety of backgrounds - from biostatisticians to applied mathematicians and physicists. In terms of content, there was so much coverage that it felt overwhelming and really pushed me to my limits. I was so glad to push through it, and I was rewarded with a new career for a start-up which I absolutely love. There was nothing like this available in Australia - short and to the point - and it was worth it to travel all the way to Switzerland to do this course. Doing an 18 month Masters course was out of the question due to the cost and amount of time I'd be out of the work force, whilst trying to support a family. I'm so thankful that I got accepted into the course. It really changed my life for the better.

• Marita Salz  User Photo
    Marita Salz • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

The Propulsion Academy was a real experience. The time was intense, merciless and oh so rewarding!
    The curriculum is tight and focused. The extensive teaching content and the excellent teachers prepare you perfectly for your job search. An exceptional time in every respect, in which besides hard work, fun was not missing and the intercultural understanding of students from all over the world was promoted. A first-class introduction to the world of full-stack development for job seekers of all nationalities.

• Mirko Reichlin  User Photo
    Mirko Reichlin • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

With a background in finance and some experience with code, I applied for this bootcamp last year (2019). From the first email to the last handshake, I was overall very happy with Propulision Academy.

Learning React, Django, Git and Docker from various instructors prepared me well for my current internship at a larger software development agency in Zurich. TypeScript should be added in the future. We had different instructors for different topics, and therefore the quality of the instructors varied on a high level.

Propulsion does help with the job search, but if there is room for improvement, here there could be a more streamlined process.

The team at Propulsion Academy is truly awesome and I would never have imagined such a fun time at a school in Zurich. Thanks again.

• Barry  User Photo
    Barry • Research Fellow @ ETH Library Lab • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Completing the Data Science Bootcamp at Propulsion was both challenging and incredibly rewarding.
    The entire management and teaching staff work hard to create a positive and encouraging environment which allows them to push people far beyond what they thought was achievable in just 3 months. The afternoons of hands-on exercises and challenges which are self-directed and open-ended, allow you to extract as much experience as you possibly can from your time on the course.

An aspect that I particularly liked was the number of different instructors who had years of industry experience. Having their input made you feel sure that you are on the right track and having a variety of teaching styles throughout the course keeps it interesting too.

The learning pace on this course is fast and the workload takes commitment, but by the end you'll have gained a huge number of essential Data Science skills and have the confidence to discuss, present and work on almost any topic in the field. I'm very happy that I completed it and felt well prepared for the job market afterwards.