lighthouse-labs-logo

Lighthouse Labs

Calgary, Halifax, London, Montreal, Okanagan, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria

Lighthouse Labs

Lighthouse Labs offers 12-week web development bootcamps and part-time intro courses in multiple cities across Canada. The bootcamps have small class sizes, a 1-to-8 teacher to student ratio, and a mentor community of over 40 full-time developers. The web development program covers JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, Node.JS, software architecture, and responsive design, as well as computer science and software engineering concepts.

To apply, candidates fill out an application to introduce themselves, then schedule an interview to meet the admissions team and get a tour of the space. Once accepted, students must complete 70 hours of prep before day one of coding bootcamp. Lighthouse Labs is looking for students who want to grow and thrive in an intense learning environment, and have an aptitude for coding. No previous coding education or experience is required.

Lighthouse Labs has a dedicated career services team which helps students find jobs through networking and employer outreach, as well as resume, portfolio, and interview preparation. Lighthouse Labs has campuses in tech hub spaces like Devhub (Toronto and Vancouver), The Summit (Victoria BC), Spaces (Montreal) and The Edison Building (Calgary), which allow students to be surrounded by startup companies and entrepreneurs while they study. This form of immersion gives students an understanding of how to build their network and strengthen their understanding of the tech space and startup culture.

Recent Lighthouse Labs Reviews: Rating 4.44

all (91) reviews for Lighthouse Labs →

Recent Lighthouse Labs News

Read all (44) articles about Lighthouse Labs →
  • Intro to Front-End with JavaScript

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Victoria
    Learn how to build and style websites and landing pages using HTML, CSS & JavaScript. During this 6 week course you will build your own website from scratch, learn the core principles of responsive design, and leverage JavaScript to make your site dynamic and interactive. If you manage a website, want to build your own website, or work with dev teams building web applications, this course will provide you with a great foundation in front-end web development.
    $157.50 - $169.50
    Refund / Guarantee
    $850 credit towards bootcamp for completing the Intro program.
    Beginner
  • Intro to Web Development

HTML, Git, Sinatra, CSS, Front End, Ruby
    Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Victoria
    This course is focused entirely on equipping you with tools that apply directly to professional web development. By the end of 6 weeks, you’ll be creating beautiful apps and understanding web development fundamentals for both front and back end. If you're interested in learning how to code, communicate with your dev team, understand how to create an MVP or gain valuable career skills, this course is for you.
    $157.50 - $169.50
    Refund / Guarantee
    $850 credit towards bootcamp for completing the Intro program.
  • Web Development Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby
    Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Victoria
    Lighthouse Labs will take you from coding hobbyist to professional developer in 12 weeks, and be the launchpad for your career. Operating out of Canada's most dynamic tech hubs, Lighthouse Labs combines a mentor community of 80+ full-time developers with an agile curriculum that emphasizes hands-on experience. Over 75% of your time at Lighthouse Labs will be focused on building actual, functional software. They have a 1:8 student to teacher ratio to help keep you on track and you’ll have access to mentors from different backgrounds, 12 hours a day, five days a week. This has allowed them to achieve the ultimate result: more than 1,500 students graduated into amazing careers as developers.
    $987.50-1,250
    Desjardins for Ottawa and Montreal and Alberta Student Aid for Calgary.
    We’re partnering with local & national experts to serve different and intersecting underrepresented groups through scholarships! If you’re a self-starter & leader with a passion for coding, apply to our scholarships! www.lighthouselabs.com/scholarships
    Basic Computer Knowledge.
    70 hours.

• Anonymous • jr. Software Engineer • Graduate

I decided to do Lighthouse Labs' Web Development bootcamp after realizing I didn't want to work in the field that I had just graduated university from. The whole experience was great - I have nothing negative to say. I really loved how it was fast paced and practise-based. It was definitely an intense course, but I learned so much, made some really good friends, and most importantly I got a whole new career that I love out of it. I would recommend doing the in-person course if possible (vs. satallite) only because you'd get to interact with the instructors more. In the satallite location, I could still message/video chat with them, but it'd be so much easier in person.

• Anonymous • Web Developer • Graduate

It was a great experience with LighthouseLabs, really knowledgeable people who enjoy teaching . It helped me realize that I am capable of programming and learning  at a higher level.

• Best Bootcamp
    - 7/11/2015
    SooJeen • Software Developer • Graduate

Let's start with the instructors and TA's. They are working developers. They are there because they love the field of coding and development and want to help others learn and grow. Get to know your TA's, ask about their work and learn from their life experience.

The curriculum is great. It is carefully crafted to teach the principles of programming and give you a familiarity with the frameworks and tools that you'll be using in your day to day work. The days were long and the information and learning did not let up. Every day brought another nuance or layer to what you had already learned.

I was one of the fortunate ones who had a job offer before graduation. The career services is great. They help you craft your resume and get employers in to see your work and interview you. You graduate as a full-stack web developer and you will have a lot of on-the-job-learning ahead of you.

Web and Software development is a journey of continual learning. And Lighthouse Labs understands that and prepares you for it. It has the feel of a trade school apprenticeship, but it's much more.

• Great School!
    - 6/11/2015
    Erica • Web Developer • Graduate

I expected a lot going into this course, and I was not disappointed! Not only is the course amazing, but the community is amazing -- It is welcoming and active, and I quickly felt right at home. As an Alumni, they do a very good job of keeping me in the loop and in the community -- I still feel supported by all of the staff, teachers, and TAs.

The curriculum is challenging, and you should expect to be busy, but it is manageable.

The job support is great too, they organize events and interviews to connect students with employers.

Overall, I feel they prepared me well for my current position as a developer. It was the best education decision I ever made.

• Awesome
    - 6/4/2015

Although I wouldn't suggest going in with no coding experience. Its really tough and time consuming even for the people who have comp sci degrees. The TAs are awesome and support from career services is excellent.

• Johnny Ji • Web Dev • Graduate

I highly recommend Lighthouse Labs to anyone who's thinking about it. If you take the time and put in the hours, it'll change your life.

I went from being confused about my future drifitng through university like everyone else to now loving my work, getting paid to learn and loving the apps I create. Meanwhile all my friends are still sitting in Philosophy 302 or something. (No offense to Philospohy majors)

You meet your teachers and you know
    it will be fun to be a member!
    Each day your skills just grow and grow;
    each day unique, you will remember!
    You will be there for Don's great lectures
    with nicest smell of coffee cup.
    You won't have time to make conjectures
    when meet Khurram.. you hurry up!
    You can talk Python with Murat,
    and choose TA to ask a question.
    Charlyn will make you a magnate
    providing jobs with nice agression.
    You will enjoy sublimest pretty
    with sunny teacher Monica.
    All this is in the heart of city
    creating code as music from harmonica!

The web development program at Lighthouse Labs was, well, intense. There was a lot of content to cover in the 8 weeks, but the instructors did a great job at delivering the information in a way that was easy to digest. There was always mentors around to help us with our work, and the atmosphere was very inviting and conducive to positivity and learning. The fact that they share space with Launch Academy allows students to network with industry professionals, and get a feel for startup culture. While this course is not for the faint of heart, with enough will and determination, anyone can excel in this program.

• Brian Khoshbakht • iOS Developer • Graduate

Before signing up for Lighthouse Labs, I had some prior coding experience doing web development and taking university computer science classes, but what I really wanted to do was mobile development (which isn't really offered in depth at any university). I had looked at some tutorials online for iOS development, however they weren't quite enough to take me to the level I needed to be at.

I thought extremely hard about joining Lighthouse Labs primarily because of the cost. Upon joining, I realized that the course was actually filled with amazing content and very knowledgable teaching assistants! In other words, the bootcamp at Lighthouse Labs was worth every cent!

I thought my prior coding experience would give me an advantage over other students, however I was wrong (in a good way). Not only was the bootcamp challenging, but I learned lots of new things; and what I learned wasn't just about iOS development, but about software development in general! Now I feel like I actually understand computer science instead of just hacking away at something I don't understand. I don't want to say that you shouldn't go to university or college, but from my experiece, I felt way more job-ready upon completion of Lighthouse Labs than from my university program.

The first four weeks were the most challenging becase of all the new knowledge being thrown at you and all of the assignments I had to complete. Once I absorbed all that material, and completed my first, real project, I felt confident enough to do anything in iOS. Not only do I feel confident to code on my own now, I feel confident enough that I can accomplish anything if I just put my mind to it!

Close to and after the end of the program, Lighthouse does a pretty decent job at connecting students with its network of employers. It is extremely difficult for junior developers to find work. That is why Lighthouse Labs sets up things like employer speed dating events (where students breifly meet and interview with various employers), resume and interview workshops, and lastly, sending student resumes to employers that would be a good fit to students.

In conculsion, if you are thinking about learning mobile or web development, join Lighthouse Labs. You won't regret it!

Having no prior knowledge of programming, I was extremely skeptical of educational institutions that claim to prepare you for a new career in two months' time. I was extremely motivated to change careers at the time, and so I took the plunge.

Not only does Lighthouse provide you the skills to become an employable web developer, it also provides you with the opportunity to integrate yourself with the local tech community. There are countless occassions where you are exposed to entrepreneurs, senior web developers, and other important members of the industry. By the time you graduate, you will have known many developers and business that are in the area you are trying to find work in.

And find work you will, because the career services at Lighthouse is stellar. They do their best to match you with an employer and expose your resume to more companies than you could ever do by yourself.

As a person who initially had no industry contacts or programming experience, I am highly satisfied with what Lighthouse has provided me.

• Ramon Savinon • software developer • Graduate

I can still remember the first day, it was the only time we ever got breakfest treats served to us in the boardroom table. I guess the staff wanted to sweeten things up since they knew it would be a rough week for us. the first week went by and every day seemed like an odessy, with every task increasing in complexity and building upon the knowledge bse of the previous one. So many lines of code written, tested, deleted and rewritten. The next couples of weeks at lighthouse have infamously been name "hell weeks", two exams and a midterm project, orms and http protocols.

if you make past that while feeling like you've actually become a better developer, you should be proud. the last month of the program will be significantly easier and enjoyable.

Overall it was a great experience, the staff was always more than willing to help, and TA' s are there until late. Lectures are short and usually straight to the point and exams are well designed.

• Life changer!
    - 6/2/2015
    Anonymous • Front end developer & designer • Graduate

My experience at Lighthouse Labs was life changing for multiple reasons. One, I was immersed into an excellent curriculum with interesting learning material that challeneged me to work hard and learn fast. Never, however, was I without the support of LHL's enthusiastic and caring TAs.

Two, LHLs welcoming, nurturing, and fun culture creates a perfect environment not only for networking and creating promising future career connections, but also a network of friends and warm connections in the Vancouver tech community. As an alumni I feel I always have the support of the staff at LHL.

Three, I feel that LHL has prepared me well for the internship I was hired for rigth after finishing the program. My supervisor (senior dev) is impressed with my level of knowledge and speed of learning.

Coming into the program with very minimal coding experience, I feel my career change was extremely successful and within 2 months at LHL I am capable of working in the tech industry and I have a network of connections for future career purposes.

• web development
    - 6/1/2015
    priyathanya • technology consultant • Student

This was definitely a mind blowing experience for me.what people can ddo in years of college education, they were able to accomplish it in 2 months. if you are looking for a tech job, coder position , with a deadly want to create awesome code. This is definitely for you.

• Simon Rai • Marketer/Developer • Graduate

My experience at Lighthouse Labs was very positive, and totally exceeded my expectations. I really wasn't sure if it was possible to learn to code in just 2 months but I actually was coding my own apps *from scratch* by the end of the program. For my final project, I made an MVP for an app that helps you create online invitations. I think the biggest thing is that you spend more time working on apps then you do in lecture, so you are learning a lot more. And, being sorrounded by other programmers and smart people helps you grow a lot as a developer.

• Ali
    - 3/9/2015

I left my comfortable white-collar job to pursuit my fascination with technology and software development - it wasn't easy but it has paid off.  The people running LHL really care about what they're doing and it definitely shows.  They have outstanding teachers with decades of combined experience from different backgrounds.  The facility is awesome, their staff is kind and helpful and they give you access to some of the best and most innovative people our tech community has to offer through guest lectures, presentations, and talks each week.

I went from zero to having a solid foundation in coding concepts, from which I've been able to continue my learning at a fast pace.  They teach you how to learn and solve problems so that you can be self-sufficient after the 8 intense weeks (because in this industry the learning never stops - and that's awesome!).

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I had zero web development experience before joining LHL but found the teaching style extremely approachable. Instructors are technically very expert, and actually good at communicating that expertise. TAs are plentiful and friendly. Everyone teaching has actual experience developing in the field and the emphasis is definitely on getting things done. There's only 90 mins of lecture a day, to explain fundamental theoretical concepts, but most of the time is devoted to actually building things and breaking them. Don't expect to be spoonfed, instead expect to be trained in how to decipher documentation, how to take an application apart to find its point of failure, how to think logically through a problem - in short, what programming is actually like in the field. I thought it was a good balance between theoretical and practical aspects of software engineering.

Culture is fantastic. There's such a palpable and contagious enthusiasm for learning, people (teachers) are there because they want to be. Being located in a hub of the tech scene doesn't hurt. It's an immersive introduction to what working in tech is like.

LHL is also very well networked and if you're at all competent, it won't be hard to land some kind of job right away and start gaining some real professional experience.

• Web Development
    - 3/5/2015
    Garry • Web Developer • Graduate

Lighthouse Labs was a great experience. It was intense, challenging, and equally worthwhile. The skills I've learned while at Lighthouse Labs have allowed me to change how I look at situations, identify a problem, and engineer a solution for that problem.

The instructors were tough, but fair. They're always willing to come and help. They will help us not to give us the answer, but to help us look at our problem in a new way that allows us to realize or find the solution.

The TA support was incredible. They, too, stood for teaching rather than spoon-feeding, and every classroom experience helped us come out richer.

I will always remember my time at Lighthouse, and the amazing skills that I have gained by being there. Out of the sheer amount of hours my fellow students and I spent together, I've made friends that I will always keep. I would recommend this to anyone!

• Regan Perkins • Web Developer • Graduate

I was part of the November 2014 cohort. Making the desicion to join Lighthouse Labs was one of the hardest and ultimetly one of the best decisions I have ever made.

The teachers at Lighthouse are amazing, smart and patient as are the assistents (there are always a few working and they where a big help to me). Beyond learning to code (which you will) the community of teachers, students and mentors is an invaluable benifit of attending Lighthouse Labs.

Having graduated Lighthouse Labs I was able to secure a job right away and gain experiance with a company I otherwise would not have had the skills or the connections to join.

I would 10/10 recommend anyone truly intrested in tech and who is ready for a challange to attend.

I worked for a few years in research and was looking for new challenges. I had completed a couple of online courses that made me realize that programming is really fun but these were of course not enough to start a new career. Having already spent a few years at university, I didn't really see myself doing it again but I came across Lighthouse Labs by chance. Within a week, I had applied, gone for an interview, been accepted and decided to join the program. Of course I was worried I wouldn't be able to complete the course or wouldn't be able to find a job/internship afterwards but I decided to take the 'risk'. Lighthouse Labs graduates seemed to be doing very well so it didn't seem very risky anyway, clearly the teachers were preparing the students very well for what's on the other side and I felt that I would 'just' need to work really hard and learn as much as possible.

I am very pleased with my decision. The program was intense (make sure you spend as much time as you can on the prep course, it really helps!), we learned so much in a short period of time and it is absolutely life consuming but so much fun! I was really excited every day so find out what we would learn next. The environment is very nice, being at Launch Academy is just perfect, people who work there are really friendly and it's a very inspiring and warm environment.

Everyone at Lighthouse Labs is supportive and friendly, there are TAs around pretty late in the evening and on the weekend to help us and it is nice to be able to talk with them about the tech scene and the work they do.

Lighthouse Labs has a very good network which helped me start an internship a couple of weeks after the Demo day...no bad at all! ;-)

• Total Life Changer
    - 2/24/2015

I attended Lighthouse Labs January 2014 cohort. As someone who worked in healthcare for almost 10 years with very little coding experience, but a desire to get into the tech industry, I had no idea where to start. Do I try internet tutorials? Do I know what online tutorials to choose? Do I have the disipline to learn this stuff myself and put in 16 hour days to learn it?

Going to Lighthouse was honestly one of the best and hardest things I have ever done. The program in Vancouver was absolutely life consuming... as it should be. I figured that I would sacrifice 2 months of my life and come out better on the other side because of it. The experience certainly did not disappoint.

More important than the "stuff" you learn there is the philosophy and work ethic you learn there. It is this that will give you the confidence to tackle the problems you'll face when you leave the program, and not be afraid to take on big challenges.

I entered into a 3 month co-op after the program which turned into a full-time position as a developer.

The TA's worked in tech, knew their stuff and were all around awesome.

The other students in my class were an amazing bunch and I couldn't have imagined spending 2 months with a better group.

• Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

July web alumni here, and I can say that Lighthouse Labs changed my life. My primary goal with Lighthouse Labs was to get into the Vancouver startup scene as a developer, and I greatly succeeded at that. I have a software engineering undergrad degree from McGill and had two years of corporate tech industry experience, so I knew I could do well if I worked hard. I worked my ass off on both coding and networking from week 1 day 1 until week 9 Demo Day, and it paid off. I started my new 'software developer at a startup' gig after only 1 week after Demo Day. The instructors and TAs are all great, and the alumni network is pretty phenomenal. The fact that it is located at Launch Academy with HIGHLINE (probably the best incubator/accelerator in Canada) is just icing on the cake. I still stop by often to see friends, network, and talk about my career/goals over beers. Take the iOS/web bootcamp at Lighthouse Labs if you're serious about choosing developer as a career.

• Awesome course!
    - 1/15/2015

I was in the September 2014 web dev Cohort and had a great time building my skill set and exploring the world of web development.

I was hesitant at first, as I knew little about coding before enroling; but I know an opportunity when I see one. A gaurenteed job after 2 months of hard work is more than worth it, especially when the alternative is a 4 year computer science course, which costs far more and does not gaurentee a job. I'm now coding professionally in vancouver and love my job.

The Instructors know what they are doing, and are experienced members of the industry. Furthermore, they are friendly and there is almost always a TA on hand.

We learnt more than how to code: they teach you how to learn, and how to pick up new coding languages quickly. For example, I learnt python on my own in less than a week- something I would have never been able to do before.

I got a job afterwards, which was amazing. They encourage you to get out, meet people and join meetup groups. Lighthouse labs provides tonnes of resources to make employment afterwards a breeze.

Overall, the experience was phenomenal. I learned lots, and am now an active member of the extensive and growing alumni community. The truth is, Lighthouse labs is the best way to become a developer in vancouver. If you are hesitant, don't be: it will change your life.

• Amber Spencer • Web Developer • Graduate

I am a former student of Lighthouse Labs, I joined their June 2014 cohort. I had a non-technical background in business development and marketing with very minimal coding or technical experience. I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I learned more practical and immediately applicable skills in two months than I learned in three years at university. It was extremely challenging and pushed my limits – exactly what I was looking for!

I definitely couldn't have done it without the support of my fellow students and Lighthouse Labs' top teachers and teaching assistants. I came out of the course fully prepared to enter a company as a junior developer and was successful in doing so.  One of the greatest things about being alumni at Lighthouse is their incredible network – as a former student, I am always welcome back to my second home and it is a very warm environment. I often go there to work on my current projects for both the social aspect and also the incredible support.

Job prospects after the course were excellent, they have a great co-op network and encourage students to participate in networking events as well as holding their own in-house events.

Most students have no prior programming background and yet everyone turns out to be able to finish their final project or even get a job. The curriculum is more well rounded compare to other bootcamps I've researched and they continue to update the curriculum to fit industry standard. Some instructors' style of teaching is more interesting but overall they are all very helpful. Mentors there make a great difference, most of them are patience and passionate! Career service is very helpful and try their best to connect students and alumni with potential employers, which definitely helps a lot when you don't have a computer science background on your resume. Every staff and classmates in my cohort are great people and I do miss them a lot after the bootcamp is done! Although I haven't found a job yet, I think doing this bootcamp is one of the best decision I've made.

Response From: Sarah of Lighthouse Labs
    Title: Community Operations Manager
    Thursday, Jul 18 2019
    Hello,

Sarah from Lighthouse Labs here. Thanks for your review! It’s great to hear you appreciated the updated curriculum; staying up to date to provide relevant training is important for us at Lighthouse Labs. Stay connected with our Career Services team during your job search; we’re here to support you every step of the way.

Lighthouse Labs has an acceptance rate of 35%, of which 55% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Lighthouse Labs, 99% graduate. 93% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $52,789.

Matriculation Information

60 days

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

To download "2018 Five Year Student Outcomes Report", please click here.
To download "2018 Career Trajectory Report", please click here.
Data from Oct 2013 to Sep 2018.