lighthouse-labs-logo

Lighthouse Labs

Calgary, Halifax, London, Montreal, Okanagan, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria

Lighthouse Labs

Lighthouse Labs offers 12-week web development bootcamps and part-time intro courses in multiple cities across Canada. The bootcamps have small class sizes, a 1-to-8 teacher to student ratio, and a mentor community of over 40 full-time developers. The web development program covers JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, Node.JS, software architecture, and responsive design, as well as computer science and software engineering concepts.

To apply, candidates fill out an application to introduce themselves, then schedule an interview to meet the admissions team and get a tour of the space. Once accepted, students must complete 70 hours of prep before day one of coding bootcamp. Lighthouse Labs is looking for students who want to grow and thrive in an intense learning environment, and have an aptitude for coding. No previous coding education or experience is required.

Lighthouse Labs has a dedicated career services team which helps students find jobs through networking and employer outreach, as well as resume, portfolio, and interview preparation. Lighthouse Labs has campuses in tech hub spaces like Devhub (Toronto and Vancouver), The Summit (Victoria BC), Spaces (Montreal) and The Edison Building (Calgary), which allow students to be surrounded by startup companies and entrepreneurs while they study. This form of immersion gives students an understanding of how to build their network and strengthen their understanding of the tech space and startup culture.

Recent Lighthouse Labs Reviews: Rating 4.44

all (91) reviews for Lighthouse Labs →

Recent Lighthouse Labs News

Read all (44) articles about Lighthouse Labs →
  • Intro to Front-End with JavaScript

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Victoria
    Learn how to build and style websites and landing pages using HTML, CSS & JavaScript. During this 6 week course you will build your own website from scratch, learn the core principles of responsive design, and leverage JavaScript to make your site dynamic and interactive. If you manage a website, want to build your own website, or work with dev teams building web applications, this course will provide you with a great foundation in front-end web development.
    $157.50 - $169.50
    Refund / Guarantee
    $850 credit towards bootcamp for completing the Intro program.
    Beginner
  • Intro to Web Development

HTML, Git, Sinatra, CSS, Front End, Ruby
    Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Victoria
    This course is focused entirely on equipping you with tools that apply directly to professional web development. By the end of 6 weeks, you’ll be creating beautiful apps and understanding web development fundamentals for both front and back end. If you're interested in learning how to code, communicate with your dev team, understand how to create an MVP or gain valuable career skills, this course is for you.
    $157.50 - $169.50
    Refund / Guarantee
    $850 credit towards bootcamp for completing the Intro program.
  • Web Development Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby
    Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Victoria
    Lighthouse Labs will take you from coding hobbyist to professional developer in 12 weeks, and be the launchpad for your career. Operating out of Canada's most dynamic tech hubs, Lighthouse Labs combines a mentor community of 80+ full-time developers with an agile curriculum that emphasizes hands-on experience. Over 75% of your time at Lighthouse Labs will be focused on building actual, functional software. They have a 1:8 student to teacher ratio to help keep you on track and you’ll have access to mentors from different backgrounds, 12 hours a day, five days a week. This has allowed them to achieve the ultimate result: more than 1,500 students graduated into amazing careers as developers.
    $987.50-1,250
    Desjardins for Ottawa and Montreal and Alberta Student Aid for Calgary.
    We’re partnering with local & national experts to serve different and intersecting underrepresented groups through scholarships! If you’re a self-starter & leader with a passion for coding, apply to our scholarships! www.lighthouselabs.com/scholarships
    Basic Computer Knowledge.
    70 hours.
    Interview

High intensity, fast-paced learning in a great environment. Lots of intelligent teachers and mentors to help with your problems, lots of autonomy when it came to group projects. Well structured curriculum

• Best iOS Bootcamp
    - 4/20/2018
    Eric • Application Developer • Graduate

A very intense and demanding bootcamp, but probably also one of the best learning experiences that I have ever had. The material is current, with a good mix of theory and practical assignments. The intructors and mentors were very knowledgeable, approachable, and helpful, and the people in career services were truly amazing.

• Sarah • Support Developer • Graduate

Like with anything you do in life, you're going to get out of this course exactly what you put into it. The hours can be long, the self-doubt can be high, but at the end of the day, you get to spend 10 weeks immersing yourself in as much knowledge as you can soak in. Are you going to be an expert developer at the end of the program? No. That's not the intention. The intention is to get you to a place where you can confidently apply for your first Jr. Developer role (or maybe a hybrid if that's your thing). You're going to network with industry professionals, be part of an amazing crew of alumni, and have more opportunities than you know what to do with - as long as you're willing to seek them out.

• CTham • Software engineer • Graduate
    Its been nearly 2 years since graduating from lighthouse labs. We learnt mainly ruby on rails then. I have not touched Ruby on rails since, but what I took away from this bootcamp was learning how to learning. Learning how to ask the right questions, this skill has helped me in every development job I had.
  • Johnnie • Graduate

The curriculum is amazing and I absolutely learned everything I hoped to and more. Doing the remote program does feel like you're a bit 2nd class to the in-person cohorts. Particularly in terms of the hiring and job seeking support. I'm still seeking my first position after finishing the program and I haven't felt as supported as I thought I would be. Remote means you have to take a lot into your own charge. Keep that in mind if you're considering a remote program.

• Charles • iOS Developer • Graduate

To be honest Lighthouse Labs wasn't in my radar when looking at coding bootcamps in Toronto. I went to each of the better known bootcamps first, and after all my initial meetings to inquire about the program, I was told that it was an "interview" and they were "impressed" by me, and said I will receive a $ discount for their respective bootcamp programs. However, Lighthouse Labs was different. After my initial meeting with them, they proceeded to give me a GRE-like test which I had 15 minutes to fill out to see if I was a good fit for the program.

In that moment, Lighthouse Labs stuck out to me and I could tell they really care about their students. I passed the test and decided to enroll in their bootcamp. Their instructors were extremely helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, supportive and fun to be around. There was never a single moment I felt like I wasn't important, even upper management knew about the students and chatted with them frequently. There is a great family-like vibe that this school emits, even when I was struggling my instructors, and peers were there to help me out. Lighthouse Labs gives you a prep course and the curriculum is up to date and exciting yet challenging in a great way. You need to put in the work. There's plenty of external and internal events that you can attend and get connections to industry people.

Lighthouse Labs career support is incredible. I know that's one of the big reasons a lot of people join the program, for me it was a bow that tied the great gift together. I've never felt so supported in finding a job, from fixing up my resume to interview prep to office hours at local companies, it was great. (I hope the Universities' career counsellors are taking notes)

I ended up receieving a few job offers and accepting one before my bootcamp ended. Since then I moved up in the position and then took another job offer and learned even more. I feel really comfortable and confident in today's day and age when having technical skills is such an asset. These skills I learned helped me follow my passions and get paid for it.

I encourage anyone in Toronto who wants to add a technical skill set or to change careers to attend Lighthouse Labs, you won't regret it. It gave me more value than my 4 year University degree.

• Ghazaleh • web developer • Graduate

My background is in electrical engineering and I attended lighthouse labs web development bootcamp. It is highly intensive and at the same time. highly awarding. The first week I felt overwhelmed but I talked to one of our mentors who was a Lighthouse alumni as well and after that chat, I felt much better and felt that others have the same feeling and I am not the only one who feels under pressure. That made me more confident and I continued my practice to the last minutes of the bootcamp and even after my graduation.

It is 9 weeks (8 weeks have classes and the last week is only for finishing the final project). Every day have 2 hr of class in the morning and 1 hr in the afternoon, the rest of the time you will code on your own and get help from mentors. There are 2 main projects which you'll do in groups: final and midterm project, others are individual projects which each of them is aimed to teach you some language or frame work.

After finishing the final project, there is a demo day which some employers come and see what you've done and that is a great opportunity to be hired by them. However, hiring is seasonal so don't worry if you don't get many interviews after your graduations, they will come to you after a month or so. I personally graduated at a time which was not many hirings so it was hard to get an interview and interview processes were slow but I got a job in 2.5 months.

lighthouse labs introduces you to companies and let them hire you for 3-4 month as a contract developer for monthly 2000$ (obviously if you want they do so otherwise you are able to find a job on your own! ) and then after that period, the company usually hires that person as a full time or 1 year contract developer. that is a way that makes it easier for you to get your first job and add a line to your resume.

A good thing about lighthouse was that we used to learn the most part on our own and in this way, I learnt how to teach myself how to code which is a vital skill set for a developer since there are new frameworks and even programming languages introduced to the community every year. Thus, a developer should be able to learn new skills in a short time and on his/her own. That is the best thing you will learn in lighthouse labs.

• Raymond • Graduate

I had a very good experience at Lighthouse Labs, and believe it was worth the price of admission for myself. Having a strong background in programming going into the bootcamp, it was not too intensive, however, it gives you an opprotunity to add intensity depending on how determined you are to learn and improve. This meant adding my own stretch goals and milestones for some projects, and Lighthouse Labs allows you to be surrounded by experienced developers that can assist you along the way.

The curriculum is very well setup, as it allows you to complete a project a week using a new framework/technology every week. The first week is basic Javascript fundamentals, and following that, you learn to make a backend tinyURL clone using nodeJS and an express server, then a twitter clone with jQuery/AJAX on the front end and mongoDB, then a midterm project using PostgreSQL, followed by a slack clone using websockets and ReactJS, and finally an Amazon clone using Ruby on Rails, with a final project built in whatever stack you want to use. You will learn a lot and get your foot into many different doors of web development, and how far you go is dependant on yourself.

Career services was not as good as it was hyped to be, but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on it being bad timming, as the cohort after mine recieved a lot more job opprotunities.

Overall, it was a great experience, and I made a lot of great friends in the process while learning a lot.

• Kim • Jr. Dev • Graduate

I did the 8 week web dev bootcamp. It was tough but worth it. I highly reccomend it to anyone serious and I mean geniunely serious about becoming a developer. It is a great way to get your foot in the door. It teaches you more than just how to code but how to learn quickly and efficiently. Covers all the techinical jargon to get you through an interview and this will be embedded in your brain for eons. Also the ability to figure out a code base will become second nature. It is however, not for the faint of heart. You aint got grit, forget about it. But if you wanna haul butt for eight weeks and get a jr dev position then this is the start of your journey. Would do a again if I have access to a time machine.

• Mike Conlin • Software Developer • Graduate

I took it when they still had a rails focus, and really excelled in the environment. You get as much out of it as you are willing to put in; if you really apply yourself you will learn a tremendous amount in a very short time.

It does not prepare you amazingly for the working world, but is effective in helping you learn how to teach yourself, and covers the basics in a clear and easy to understand way. You need to be prepared to continue working hard once you graduate and start working, as that is when the true learning begins.

• A great bootcamp
    - 7/24/2017
    Ginger • Graduate

I attend the Bootcamp in lighthouse lab in Toronto in 2016. Their curriculum teaches the core of Javascript and Ruby, and also a lot of development related knowledge. It is profound and well organized. Also, students will take the weekly review to make sure to catch up with the whole courses. And you will have a chance to develop a midterm project and the final project. The job hunting service is also available to the students who are ready for a job. So, on the whole, my experience was good. But I can also feel the content in last two weeks ran into a rush, and I feel zoned out easily. By the way, I really like their mentors. they are knowledgeable to help me whenever I need a help.

• Grant • Graduate

I attended LHL during the May01-June2017 cohort. It was a very good experience and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to career shift into development or want hands-on experience. The strongest product of LHL is the curriculum. It is kept up-to-date and is continually updated to reflect industry needs. You will find lots of overlap between job descriptions and the technologies you'll be learning at LHL.

Like any boot camp, it is important to go into it with the right expectations. You will learn a lot at LHL, but recognize that there will be holes in your knowledge. Their idea that the whole boot camp experience is around ~year is correct -- LHL will set you up with enough to take on a first developer job but the learning will have to continue after boot camp has ended. If you understand this and come in with a good attitude, you will be successful.

LHL does a good job creating an environment that will allow you to learn an immense amount during the 8 weeks. As a student, its important to get comfortable as soon as you can, and you will enjoy / take advantage of the environment they have set-up. The LHL connection doesn't end after boot camp either, as this community enviroment translate into the alumni community well.

Instructors are LHL are knowledgeable, and care a lot about student success. They are a valuable resource along with the available mentors, and they all do a good job assisting students in getting as much as they possibly can out of the boot camp experience.

Career services do a good job of setting you up to be in a position to find work. Set realistic expectations, be willing to try different options, and you'll get a lot of CS.

Overall, I will recommend LHL to anyone serious about getting into development. I've recommended it to friends but the number one thing is the expectations and attitude going into it.

- 6/30/2017
    Lucia Annunziata • 3D/Software Developer • Graduate

I am really happy about my time at Lighthouse, the staff is amazing,the overall culture super relaxed and inspiring and the instructors are really awesome, very knowledgeble and always available, even after the completion of the bootcamp.

It was a life changing experience and I have not only adquired knowledge that I would never adquired by myself in such short period of time, but I have learned how to learn, which is the most important skill in the world of programming, and thanks to it and thanks also to the great network I have built at the lab,  I have landend on my dream job as game developer in less than 2 month. I had no prior experience in game development but the coding experience I have developed in the bootcamp allowed my mind to learn fast every coding language.

I definitely suggest to enroll!

• Eric • Graduate

There isn't much more I can add that isn't already known about Lighthouse. There is a high placement rate for a good reason. The program is popular for a good reason. I attended the Lighthouse bootcamp in Sept of 2014 and it was pivotal in the new direction of my career and life really. I was very skeptical if I would be able to attain the necessary skills to start as a developer in just 2 short months. But not only did I leave with the confidence to start, I also had the tools to continue to learn and grow afterwards. I'm not the best with words so I will put in bullet form the highlights and challenges I encountered during my time at Lighthouse.

*Challenges*

• grinding: for someone coming in with little background in coding or computer science, working on projects/tutorials for the entire day was a grueling process. It was probably the hardest class I've ever taken. The pace is fast and the information comes at you like a firehose. Be ready to feel uncomfortable and make use of the TAs
    • stubborn: partially related to the previous point. quality TAs and teachers is what you pay for. Don't bang away at a problem for 3 hours. If you can't find the solution ask for help, it will give you new knowledge, clear explanations and you can be better equipped for when that same problem comes up again. Make use of the TAs.
    • life balance: spent my time from 8am to almost midnight some days for the 2 and a half months of the program. It's draining and would be difficult for those with families to take care of. Come into the program expecting a lifestyle change for the duration and a bit after as you look for work and get those interviews.

*Highlights*

• cool peers: the people that make the commitment to do a coding bootcamp are driven, dedicated and the kind of people you will enjoy working/learning along with.
    • instructors: I can't stress enough how good the teachers and TAs are at Lighthouse. The lecutures are fun, engaging and clearly explained.
    • projects: the project based work keeps things interesting. Which is needed to keep things focused during the heavy workload.
    • iteration: Lighthouse is constantly changing and improving their curriculum to match industry changes and make the education better. Even during my time there, little changes and tweaks were made.

• Bob • student • Student

It is not 36 hrs as it says on the website. Every class starts with 1hr of just going through slides with words with an unethusiatic instructor. After the 1hr, you are free to go or do some exercises that take about 30 min to finish.

Some days we get exercises to work on and other days we just do some reading written by the company. But the information is medicore and very short (about 5 min reading). We didn't do much. I felt alike it was place to hang out with an instructor. The whole class doesn't really have a goal. Rather, the whole course felt alike " here are list of things you should know related to some coding, and bye go home or whatever."

Honestly, the course can be silently more engaging and challenging or teach students how to learn better so that they can code some basic apps. On the last day we just looked at games (1.5 hrs of my money drained down the toilet) after the slides were done.  Also, I was told that the some course materials were too hard for students, such as learning parsing. The company refuses to change the material because it was in the Vancouver branch, and the instructor gave up on teaching material because he knows students can't learn it at their level.

The course is just so expensive for the materials, and quality. This is almost a scam to make money off people who are naive and not knoweldgeable in coding.

• James • Graduate

Did a ton of research, visited every bootcamp location in Toronto and had a friend go to Bitmaker while I went to Lighthouse. I just graduated this week and my friend and I have been sharing our experiences, and there is no doubt I got the better education. We actually co-coded together, and I think he might be smarter than me, but my knowledge of how things work, different frameworks and how to learn quickly were so far ahead that he said he might go back and tell them he wants a refund. He was near the top of his class while I was definitely amongst the second half.

I haven't gone throught the Career Services yet, but they have been really transparent with how it works, how it's not a guarantee, but almost all grads I speak to says they got jobs, companies knew Lighthouse and they respect the quality of the grads coming out of the bootcamp as some of the best.

Was a bit worried in terms of bootcamps at first, but really happy with this whole experience. It definitely matters which one you pick though, which is why I came here to give a review.

• Brian Bancroft • Junior Developer • Graduate

There's little question that Lighthouse Labs is one of the better schools I've come across in the coding bootcamp world. I finished a little while back, but the current and after-grad assistance has been swell. It's been about 45 days since the end, and everyone in my cohort who wanted work as a dev in Toronto has found it. Each and every one.

The curriculum is solid, and has enough flexibility to allow individuals to make it their own thing to suit their interests. Web-framework for a rasberry-pi sensor network? Sure! Web-GIS tools? You bet. Diabetes monitoring templates for insulin pumps? True story, with a proven outcome! They can help you follow your dreams starting from the fundamentals up so long as you bring your passion to the front.

The cast of instructors and mentors are diverse in character as well as background, and are there to help offer results. They can help you build yourself in fundamentals and base frameworks so you can do that thing.

• Thomas Friesman • Graduate

In the iOS Bootcamp the pace of learning was intense, and it never lets up. And that is one of its best features. You never feel like you had an easy day, or a wasted day. The lectures start with intermediate topics and grow in complexity very quickly from one day to the next. You are always covering new ground, mastering new concepts, and taking on bigger and more complex assignments. By the end of the 8 weeks we were all creating projects we wouldn't have thought possible in week 1. The leap in learning you make in the 8 weeks in truly incredible.
    I had no background in coding, comp-sci, or programming but was still able to handle the workload, just barely. The TA's and instructors made sure that they were available to help, but never just handed you the answer. They insist that you learn as you go, rather than giving you the answer, which I am grateful for. With an extremely low ratio of teachers to students, help is always at hand, 12 hours a day. It is this close interaction with instructors and other class mates that I feel really makes all the difference. It is like having a private mentor for 8 weeks, 12 hours day, sharing all of their knowledge openly.

The staff are amazing. Instructors, Admin, and everyone else really come together to help make the bootcamp experience the best it can be for everyone. There are plenty of social events, as well as meaningful and important opportunities to interact with and get to know many of Vancouver's top tech talent.
    The only thing I wish had been done differently is the prep work they recommend you do before taking the course. It should be more in depth and tougher. I think students would get more out of the course if they were more prepared. Having said that, if you have any programming, coding, or comp-sci experience you will probably not need the prep. My comments are more directed at those of us without any background in tech.

I get that some people have been happy with their decision to go to lighthouse, but i’m pretty shocked that lighthouse has close to 5 stars. Who is writing all these perfect reviews? I’m sure a lot of people are happy with their decision to take this course, but I know plenty of others who are not. And it’s not because they didn’t work hard enough because believe me, pretty much everyone in my cohort worked their *** off. The reality is that two months of coding just can't make you anywhere close to a competent coder….and not everyone has months to spend afterwards trying to learn everything else they need to know.

I’m not trying to ruin the reputation of lighthouse or anything because the people who work there are really nice people. I just really want people to know the truth before dishing out so much money. Wish more people would leave reviews about their experience because if I had read them I probably wouldn’t have gone to lighthouse and I probably would have been better off.

***Make sure you read that outcomes report VERY CAREFULLY. It only covers students who were at lighthouse BEFORE sept 25, 2015.

• Anonymous • Junior Developer Analyst • Graduate
    For someone who really wanted to get into a more Tech focused Development role, I found this to be a great option to pursue. I had minor instruction on basic programming fundamentals prior to this course. Originally wasn't too excited about tech but developed a love for the limitless possibilities and practicality of the skills. Lighthouse Labs definitely helps to foster that focus on building things while learning along the way and sharing a space with startup companies using similar technologies to make new businesses and helping people. They definitely create an environment that encourages learning and leaves you wanting more. The teachers definitely put in more time to help you figure things out and the staff including career services put in massive amounts of effort to help you succeed. They really invest in you and do so much more than you would expect from traditional schools or career services. The only catch is that you have to put in the hours to get the most out of it and show that you really want to improve rather than just talking about it.

As someone with very little coding experience going into this bootcamp, I don't think I got as much out of it as others. Most of the people who did well either had engineering backgrounds or spent quite a bit of time coding before starting the bootcamp. I'm not saying it's impossible to do well without that background, but it will probably be a bit of an uphill battle. Plus, there is A LOT to learn after bootcamp to get yourself ready for technical interviews. I don't understand why lighthouse can't just make the program a bit longer but actually teach us most of the stuff we need to know to get a decent job...

If you're not a fast learner and you have had very little exposure to coding, please rethink taking this bootcamp (or maybe any bootcamp). Get some more experience coding first. If you don't fit into the lighthouse educational model, you will be quickly left behind. Lighthouse actually makes you roll over into the next cohort if you don't pass the first two tests. And they don't tell you ahead of time that rolling over is a possibility or that there are tests. I found out for the first time on the first day of classes, and of course you never think that you will be one of those people.

You can get a lot out of Lighthouse if you have the right background. If all you've done to date is some codecademy courses, you need to rethink your decision to enroll. I learned a lot of awesome stuff and the TAs were great, but I probably wouldn't do it again to be honest. It's just not worth the time and money.

• My Experiance
    - 3/29/2016
    Jason • Graduate

Light House Labs is a scam... In the 8 weeks they cover very little as far as material and what they do cover they race throgh. They are very rude and inconsiderate. Your treated as if your lucky to be there and its an honor for you to pay they money.. They staff are paid $35k/year and promise that after you graduate you will make hundreds of thousands... Its a royal joke! Be very careful!!!

May 16, 2013: Course Report Admin combined the following with a duplicative review titled "Not Satisfied! Beware!​"

I went through a rushed interview process that seemed staged. As if the company was making false barrieres to entry to seem exclusive... I didnt worry about it becuase I was drawn at the "opportunity" to get a good job in the tech sector after... I pay over $9k to take the course and they had as work off www.codeacademy.com most of the time. We learned very basic material when it was marketed as cutting edge. No employers take these guys serioustly... Shortcut ... To make things worse, next door there is code core where they get an extra month of teaching/mentorship for the same price. I got ripped off and lied to by the staff at light house labs. Be careful.

Response From: Rebecca of Lighthouse Labs
    Title: Marketing Manager
    Friday, Apr 22 2016
    Hi Jason,

We wanted to take the time to respond to you personally. We are really sorry that this is the impression or experience you've had with us, and would love to hear more about it. All of us at Lighthouse are highly dedicated to our students success, and we do our very best to make no claims about our program being easy (it is a very difficult program). It is true that we do cover a great deal of material in a short amount of time, the true goal of the intensity of the program is to make sure that our graduates are absolutely prepared for the workforce. We try to make that expectation crystal clear in every interaction with prospective students from our website, our admissions process, and face-to-face interactions with any of our staff member. We get validation of this approach through the constant feedback we receive from our students who appreciate being pushed out of their comfort zone.

We’ve setup a rigorous admissions process, which consists (at minimum) of an hour long face-to-face interview dedicated to setting the expectations of how intensive our program is, and evaluating the applicant's passion for coding, their grit, and their ability to handle a program this intensive. We do our best to only accept applicants we believe can succeed, and we have a generous refund policy in case they someone needs to withdraw. If this was not the case from either experience or expectation perspectives- we’d want to hear about it.

In regards to our staff, so far anyone who has come through our program have attested to how much our staff care about student success: we all put 150% into making the experience as personal as possible. We encourage students to provide daily feedback, and we work really hard to action that feedback. We've never claimed you will make hundreds of thousands of dollars on graduation – we recently published our Student Outcomes Report, which shares our student outcomes data with the intention of being more transparent.

We are always open to feedback, if you have gone through our program, you likely know us all well and are welcome to reach out to any of us, or the Education team via Slack, give us a call or shoot me a line to hello@lighthouselabs.ca

Best,
    Rebecca

My overall Lighthouse Labs experience was awesome. Unlike most other reviewers here, I came to LHL with a programming background. At the beginning I wasn't too sure if LHL will be the right choice for me to update myself with the current web technologies. After I done my research for their alumni, talked to the head instructor, and saw the curriculum I was then convinced that this is the right place for me to update my web skills.

The teaching approach they do at Lighthouse might be different from what I used to get from university. At LHL, we only have about an hour of lecture each day and focus on hands-on for the rest of the day. I actually really enjoyed this approach of learning as I got to get my hands dirty into programming and problem solving and not focus too much on spending hours of lectures.

Another unique features that LHL provide to students are the TA supports. We have about 50 TAs around for supports after lectures and until late at night. Having TAs around are really helpful especially when we need a guidance on problem solving and it also helps us to learn faster. The TAs also helped us with code review and make sure we write a maintainable code.

Aside from those above, each of us also got assigned a pod leader who will conduct a weekly technical interview and group code review. The technical interviews really help us tremendously especially we will be starting to look for jobs midway of the program.

+ If one works hard, one shall be impressed with the projects one produces. Lighthouse does offer an environment for that.

+ One certainly is given an exposure to multiple prominent tools, frameworks etc. e.g. Sinatra, Rails and Node.

- Often the purpose or utility of the exercises / assignments was unclear; often, the assignments provided no useful knowledge / skills towards the projects; so many assignments feel of no use at the end.

+ There were some excellent TAs / assistants / mentors who helped to understand the problem and the solution.

- Sadly, they were all in the evening. The morning TA's mostly provided band-aid solutions or solved one problem only to introduce another.

+ Lighthouse encourages that relationships with it and one's cohort mates be maintained after graduation.

+ Lighthouse provides career services

- Those career services may be slow, especially on the Toronto side

May 16, 2013: Course Report Admin combined the following with a duplicative review titled "Prior exp. in design / prog. needed."

This course may be marketed to the general public but in reality the way in which Lighthouse operated requires a person to already have experience, not just familiarity, with either design or programming.

A backend developer can practise at being a full-stack, as can a front-end dev. or designer, by supplementing their existing skills in one area with the other.

If a person has no experience or only familiarity in either area then it is too difficult. It is, afterall, a bootcamp, so there is no gradual process. Often, there wasn't even a process.

It was a bit like being visually shown a parachute then being thrown out of a plane. A person has only so much time to learn to find the lever and learn to use it.

• Web Development
    - 8/14/2015
    Anonymous • Dev Op's • Graduate

Lighthouse Labs gave me the problem solving skills and basics to be able to work at any job. This program is boss.

• Shannon McDonald • Web Developer • Graduate

When I signed up for Lighthouse, I was looking for a way to get out of the career direction I was heading down and quickly acquire a new set of marketable skills. The program more than delivered on that front - I found my niche in web development, and I'm happier with my current job than I ever though I could be at work. The fantastic instructors are well supported by an increasingly impressive roster of TAs and mentors, and the curriculum seems to be consistently evolving.  Attending class every day in such a bustling entrepreneurial space (Launch Academy), with such talented and motivating people was really inspiring (and sometimes intimidating), but very beneficial when it came to pushing grads out into the workforce. It will still take a lot out of you to succeed in the bootcamp environment - hours are long, the flood of information is overwhelming and frustrations are high - but with dedication, focus, and at least a bit of a natural proclivity towards problem-solving, Lighthouse will give you the tools to get there.

Lighthouse Labs has an acceptance rate of 35%, of which 55% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Lighthouse Labs, 99% graduate. 93% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $52,789.

Matriculation Information

60 days

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

To download "2018 Five Year Student Outcomes Report", please click here.
To download "2018 Career Trajectory Report", please click here.
Data from Oct 2013 to Sep 2018.