lighthouse-labs-logo

Lighthouse Labs

Lighthouse Labs

Lighthouse Labs is a Canadian online bootcamp that teaches web development and data science. The bootcamps have small class sizes and on-demand mentorship from a community of over 40 full-time developers. The web development program covers JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, Node.JS, software architecture, and responsive design, as well as computer science and software engineering concepts. The Data Science bootcamp teaches Python, SQL, machine learning, and deep learning.

Lighthouse Labs is looking for students who want to grow and thrive in an intense learning environment, and have an aptitude for coding. No previous coding education or experience is required. Once accepted, students must complete 70 hours of prep before day one of coding bootcamp. For the Data Science Bootcamp, Lighthouse Labs is looking for students who can thrive in an intense learning environment, and who love data.

Lighthouse Labs has a dedicated career services team which helps students find jobs through networking and employer outreach, as well as resume, portfolio, and interview preparation. Over the past five years, Lighthouse Labs reports that 93% of their job-seeking alumni are employed within 120 days of graduation.

Recent Lighthouse Labs Reviews: Rating 4.46

all (95) reviews for Lighthouse Labs →

Recent Lighthouse Labs News

Read all (83) articles about Lighthouse Labs →
  • Intro to Data Analytics

Data Analytics , Excel
    Everyone has data, but is yours helping you make good decisions? From executives to early stage professionals, we all need to learn how to analyze and interpret data. This part-time course will help you get the most out of your existing data for better business decisions.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Intro to Front-End with JavaScript

CSS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery
    Learn how to build and style websites and landing pages using HTML, CSS & JavaScript. During this 6 week course you will build your own website from scratch, learn the core principles of responsive design, and leverage JavaScript to make your site dynamic and interactive. If you manage a website, want to build your own website, or work with dev teams building web applications, this course will provide you with a great foundation in front-end web development.
    Refund / Guarantee$850 credit towards bootcamp for completing the Intro program.
  • Intro to Web Development

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, Ruby, Sinatra
    This course is focused entirely on equipping you with tools that apply directly to professional web development. By the end of 6 weeks, you’ll be creating beautiful apps and understanding web development fundamentals for both front and back end. If you're interested in learning how to code, communicate with your dev team, understand how to create an MVP or gain valuable career skills, this course is for you.
  • Web Development Bootcamp

CSS, Express.js, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, MongoDB, Node.js, Rails, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL, React.js
    Lighthouse Labs will take you from coding hobbyist to professional developer in 12 weeks, and be the launchpad for your career. Operating out of Canada's most dynamic tech hubs, Lighthouse Labs combines a mentor community of full-time developers with an agile curriculum that emphasizes hands-on experience. Over 75% of your time at Lighthouse Labs will be focused on building actual, functional software. They have an experienced team of on-demand mentors, who are ready to coach you through whatever roadblocks you may encounter.
    ScholarshipMore info: https://www.lighthouselabs.ca/scholarships
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Computer Knowledge.
    Prep Work70 hours.
  • adam  User Photo
    adam • Junior Dev • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came to this review site before quitting my job and doing this bootcamp, so I thought it would be nice to come full circle and leave a review after starting my career in tech. Overall, the bootcamp is great - you learn a lot in a short amount of time. I would recommend a bootcamp if you are in a hurry to change careers. That being said, LHL is not responsible for the overarching job market / economic climate. When I graduated every tech giant was doing mass layoffs. Bear that in mind before making a decision. Nothing is guaranteed. After a total of 8 months (which includes 3months of bootcamp) i finally landed a junior dev role. And I was lucky. That being said, the support from career services was good. They help where they can. If I were to use an analogy: they are a passenger in the car you are driving. Is it worth the money? I'm not sure. I think that they do a lot of behind-the-scenes work that indirectly benefited me.

Overall, if you are passionate about tech and want to start your career, give it a go. Life is too short.

For curriculum I would prefer not spending a week on Ruby. I think the curriculum would be better served with an extra week with React or learning Typescript. Pivoting out of Javascript for a week didn't feel worth it to me. On top of that none of the TAs who picked up my request-tickets knew the language. The only fringe benefit of the Ruby week was that it was nice to see the MVC approach.
  • Lliam McBean  User Photo
    Lliam McBean • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The curriculum provided by lighthouse is great. They do a good job of going over legacy code bases like EJS, all the way through to modern frameworks like React. The instructors are very knowledgable and you come out with a good base understanding of industry knowledge.

That being said, DO NOT DO CAREER SERVICES. My expectation of career services going into bootcamp was to get some help spreading my resume, even to just know more about what companies and positions I should be applying for. Instead I had a hard time even getting a hold of my career services coordinator, and when I did they seemed to have no interest in helping me find employment, only advice on structuring my resume. while resume building advice is helpful, it is not worth the 3000$ spent on career services. I was baseline expecting some help on where to apply to. There seems to be a lot of people employed under the career services department and it is crazy to me that the only thing they can provide to you is advice on your linkedin profile and resume, I hope you use my money well.
  • Life changer!
    - 5/21/2021
    Armin P  User Photo
    Armin P • Full stack engineer • Student Verified via GitHub
    If you have even think about taking the bootcamp, the I would say take it for sure!!

I have graduated from LHL in March 2021. I've  accepted  one month after as a Full stack engineer with a really good salary. I am writing you to express my gratitude and raise my hat for LHL.
    I have a master's in computer science and I have been in many courses and programs during last 10 years. I've been always scared of coding even though I got my masters in this. The way LHL teach coding is far different from what I have ever seen. Every part of this program is well-thought and at the end of the program It gave me the confidence that I was looking for it for almost 10 years.

Apart form the program and it's organization the people in LHL are amazing. LHL staff are willing to help unconditionally. mentors and they're attitude and their willingness to help is also amazing.

I want to  thank LHL team for all the amazing experience and unconditional support.

• Great class
    - 4/26/2020
    Marshé Hutchinson  User Photo
    Marshé Hutchinson • Database Administrator • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I learned the fundamentals of python and R. The course was very informative and the exercises were useful.
  • Kate Day  User Photo
    Kate Day • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Do it!! Before this course, I had never seen a line of code and I had seen a terminal used but never used it myself. This is a bootcamp and it is intense! Everyday is something different! A new topic and material to cover. You get your day started with reading and a couple exercises then the lecture starts. You have more time to work on it and a few days a week there's an afternoon lecture to go along with it.

They throw a lot of basics and topics at you so you understand the concepts and the purpose/ real world uses. You will not graduate an expert but employers know this and are mostly looking for this as you don't have poor habits they have to break you from.

The mentors are amazing. They dont just give you the answer, they explain the reasoning behind what you're doing. They figure out your thought process and help you get the answer in the direction you want and they also explain if it's not the best/how they would go about doing it. there are so many ways to get to an answer in code so being that accomodating is essential.

Good luck on your journey!

Thursday, Sep 19 2019
    Hi Kate! Thanks for sharing your experience. It's great to hear you thrived in the Bootcamp environment and enjoyed the time you had with the mentors. Come and visit, or catch up with us at a Demo Day anytime!
  • Developer
    - 7/22/2019
    Rachel  User Photo
    Rachel • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had little to no experience in coding prior to joining LHL but graduated with enough knowledge and experience to change the course of my career. I can now write my own full stack applications from scratch and have become more aware of what technologies are available to learn. It is a wonderful way to challenge and fully immerse yourself in learning with the goal of getting your foot in the door with a development career.

Tuesday, Sep 03 2019
    Hi there,

thanks for sharing your review. It's great to hear you're doing so well after Bootcamp and enjoyed the experience. Stay in touch and come back for alumni hours anytime.
  • Michael Witkowsky  User Photo
    Michael Witkowsky • Jr Front End Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Lighthouse labs have a special effect on people. It takes what you knew as your limit, destroys it, and don't let you build a new one for a few weeks, not until you have learned everything they have to taught.

And all that with an imense support from the teachers, mentors, and staff.

Tuesday, Sep 03 2019
    Hi Michael,

We're always trying to push our students to become the best programmers they can be. It's great to know the environment was a good fit for you! Thanks for sharing your review and experience.

-The Lighthouse Labs Team
  • Rachel  User Photo
    Rachel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from Lighthouse Labs' Vancouver Web Development Bootcamp in April 2019, and really couldn't rave enough about the program.

Coming from some basic coding knowledge (I had taken one of the part-time introductory coding classes that Lighthouse offers), I found the bootcamp to be a difficult yet supportive and rewarding experience.

With tons of mentor support, awesome teachers and a curriculum that's regularly updated, it's clear that Lighthouse cares a lot about their students.

• The Best Bootcamp!
    - 5/16/2019
    Emma Skillings Capet  User Photo
    Emma Skillings Capet • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I enrolled in the Web Development Bootcamp at Lighthouse Labs with very little prior coding knowledge (I had completed a couple code academy courses in CSS and HTML) and I came out the other end a Full Stack Web Developer! I loved the learning environment, and I don't think I would have made it through without the encouragement and expertise of my teachers and mentors. And at the end they even helped me find a job! A 10/10 learning experience that I would highly recommend to anyone looking to jump into the world of web developement!

• Tiffany D  User Photo
    Tiffany D • Front-End Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I would highly recommend the Web Development Bootcamp with Lighthouse Labs. From the instructors to the mentors to the support staff, it really seemed like their main focus was ensuring the student's had the best experience possible. I felt supported throughout the entire bootcamp and there was constant reassurance when things got tough (which they did & will - this is not a simple program. It definitly requires a lot of work and dedication).

One aspect I really like about the bootcamp is the life-time access to the course material. I'm currently going back over some of the topics we learned as a refresher and it's been immensly helpful! I also think it's extremely beneficial that you complete the bootcamp with a full portfolio of web applications to show employers. Upon completion of the program, there are events to connect with the mentors, alumni, etc. to help you become part of the tech community.

All in all, 10/10 would recommend this program to anyone who's contemplating taking the leap! It will provide you with the skills needed to make a career change.

• Thomas Hulsmans  User Photo
    Thomas Hulsmans • Digital Marketing Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Its tough work but my god is it worth it, I graduated less than a week and a half ago and with the help of their career services (shoutout to Kat!) took me outta retail and into a 60k/yr position with a company I can grow at. I know this is gonna sound like one of those ads but honestly if your feeling stuck in your position or need a change of pace, this is a quick, fast-track path to do so. Anyone could benefit from the bootcamp in some way!

• Erin  User Photo
    Erin • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

School never really worked for me - I was often bored, often distracted, and when high school ended Computer Science was definitely not in the cards. But I always enjoyed coding and dealing with technologies. 15 years later after a few career changes the idea of a bootcamp came up and I asked around a bunch and landed on Lighthouse as having one of the best reputations and...man...I'm so glad. Those 10 weeks were some of the most challenging but ultimately most rewarding of my life. I met 13 amazing other cohort mates and great - really great - instructors and mentors and by around week 7 I realised I could barely recognize week 1 me. By week 10 I'd learned a tonne and created a web application from scratch that I'm really proud of.

I am a bit of an evangelist now. This experience was incredible, and career services was so helpful - I'm about to start my first job in the field in 5 days and I graduated only 2 weeks ago. If I had it to do over again I would do it in a heartbeat.

Lighthouse Labs Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Lighthouse Labs, 91% graduated. 75% of graduates were job-seeking and N/A of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $53,280. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 345 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Download the full report here featuring COVID-19 insights and hiring trends.