codecool--logo

Codecool

Bucharest, Budapest, Kraków, Miskolc, Online, Warsaw

Codecool

Codecool is a full-time, 12-month coding course in Hungary, Poland, and Romania with a job guarantee. The developer program is like an apprenticeship, where students will learn Linux, Python, JavaScript, HTML, Java, C# and more. Codecool focuses on the following principles: craftsmanship, growth mindset, teamwork, self-study, interactive events, and a tailored curriculum. Students are guided by mentors who directly support the development of individual students and continuously align the curriculum with the student’s interest.

Codecool does not require any prior knowledge in programming, math, or physics. Applicants should think logically, and have the passion and desire to acquire knowledge. To enroll, applicants take a short survey, pass an English test and logic test, and then interview with the Codecool team. Courses are taught in English and in local languages as well.

By the end of the training, students will be confident in applying knowledge for any junior programmer position. With job search help and career services, Codecool helps students build electronic profiles to show future employers exactly what skills they have and what projects they worked on. Codecool is also constantly expanding its corporate partner network to provide the best placements for students.

Recent Codecool Reviews: Rating 4.75

all (13) reviews for Codecool →

Recent Codecool News

• Front End Developer / Web Developer Course

User Experience Design, React.js, Node.js, JavaScript, HTML, Express.js, CSS
    As a front end developer, you may end up working on a web based application visited by thousands or even millions of people looking for important information, doing their groceries or just having fun. Or you’ll be designing an accessible app making life easier for a person with a disability. Or creating innovative tools for the next crowd-sourcing platform. The possibilities are endless. By the end of the course you will be able to develop an application by yourself. You need zero tech background or special skills to become a front end developer. We will start from the basics and get you to a new career in months. Our mentors will guide you through this life-changing journey. You just need to be over 18, speak good English (level B2 or above), play a cool online logic game and pass an interview to start with us. Plus, you should have perseverance and curiosity.
    Minimum Skill LevelYou don't need any previous knowledge to start our courses.
  • Full Stack Developer Weekend course

LocationOnline, Kraków, Warsaw, Budapest
    As a developer, you may end up working on some next generation technology building a breakthrough treatment of a major disease. Or designing an accessible app making life easier for a person with a disability. Or creating innovative tools for the next crowd-sourcing platform. The possibilities are endless. The IT industry is growing and will continue to grow in the next 10 years. Remote work is on the rise and seems to be a fully viable option for the future. Overseas companies already opening up their positions globally. There’s likely a job waiting for you wherever you want to live as a developer. You need zero tech background or special skills to do this. We will teach you from the basics and get you to a new career in an intensive 1 year. You just need to be over 18, speak good English (level B2 or above) and pass some basic online tests and an interview to start with us. Plus, you should have perseverance and curiosity.
    Tuition PlansPayment in installments is possible.
    Refund / GuaranteeFor our students who reach a minimum quiality and would need Codecool's help in lending a job, we offer a job guarantee and a refund.
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate level of English
    Prep Worknone
  • Fologea Mihai  User Photo
    Fologea Mihai • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn
    The first attempt to enroll in Codecool Romania Bootcamp was last summer. For two months, since being accepted as a student, I asked for a contract almost every two weeks or so but every time they postponed sending one. Just a week before the Bootcamp should have started, they emailed me a copy. The excuse they used for the delay was totally unprofessional: "We did not receive the contract from the law firm". I received this excuse on the 9th of September, the day that should have been the first day of the Bootcamp, the start being postponed by a week with no answer to the why question. I told myself at the time that the Romania branch is not experienced enough and they still have some things to learn. Being a person who dislikes the experiments of others at my expense I decided not to continue the collaboration with Codecool Romania.

After a couple of months, on the 4th of April, I decided to participate in a live online presentation that made me believe that things have changed for the better in Codecool Romania. I resumed discussions with the Bucharest Office Manager (BOM) and registered for the Bootcamp again, the start date being the 5th of May. One week before the start date, I received an e-mail stating that due to the Easter holidays and the 1st of May (Labor Day in Romania) the start of the Bootcamp will be postponed by two weeks. In the current state of quarantine caused by the covid-19 pandemic, I consider this excuse to be disrespectful. I expressed my concerns to the Romania Country Manager (RCM) hoping to get a clarification on the message. From the RCM I found out that the start of the Bootcamp can be postponed if the minimum of 12 students is not met and that it is in the "students best interest" not to start with a lesser number despite the fact that I saw on the Codecool Discord server the students from Romania channels work in teams of 2 or 3. Furthermore this information is not mentioned anywhere neither in the contract nor on their website (at the date of writing this). The RCM even tried to convince me that I am the problem, that I'm not patient enough and that I am a frustrated person. I asked what will they do if the minimum of 12 students is not met again in 2 weeks and and how will they deal with a possible high number of dropouts and how the remaining one will learn, questions on witch RCM refused to answer and If I want more information I should contact the BOM. I asked the same questions to the BOM but I only received evasive answers.

I have to mention that there are some issues with the contract they expect you to sign. To put it short, it's the kind that asks everything from you but offer almost nothing in return and you have to take their word for it. They offer only vague information about what you will learn during the one year Bootcamp.
    Also I strongly believe that the "guaranteed job after you graduate the Bootcamp" it's a scam, as they do not guarantee this by contract. They repeatedly say this in their ads but everything in the contract about this subject it's surrounded by uncertainty.
    This last part is my opinion and I hope that, for the sake of the students enrolled in Codecool Romania Bootcamp, I'm wrong.
  • Great School
    - 9/19/2019
    Kovács Benjamin  User Photo
    Kovács Benjamin • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I used to go to Eötvös Lóránd University Computer Science division for 3 semesters before CodeCool. What I learned there during that time was taught to me and every other student in the first 3 months in CodeCool. As opposed to university, in CodeCool you are not required to spend your valuable time learning unnecessary, useless information, but only the things you actually need to know for you to become a software developer. You will be forced to work in teams of 2 - 5 people therefore making you improve your softskills such as teamwork, communication, resolving conflicts, etc. You will be introduced to widely spread technologies that almost every company uses, and expects their programmers to know. They have a great curriculum with useful tips, links, amazing explanations and examples that would take you a huge amount of time to gather on your own if you even could. They have several senior programmers there to help you whenever you need it.

If during the first 3 months you decide that this course is not for you, it only costs you 20000 HUF, or about 60 EUR.

You will need to spend about 40 hours per week on studying the material, doing the homework and working on a team project that you will be required to present to both students and teachers at the end of each week. Therefore you WON'T be able to work while doing this course, at least not a full time job anyways. You will have to find a way to finance the full 12 months you spend here.

All you need for this course are:

• Determination
    • Hard Work
    • Some logic skills
    • Money for 12 months of rent, utilities and food so you can dedicate your time to this course.

Once I finished with the course I was showered with job opportunities within the first week, and I was hired by the end of the second week.

• Mark Kovacs  User Photo
    Mark Kovacs • Fullstack Java Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Take one year of your life and gain sufficient knowledge and skill-set to be efficient as a junior software developer. What is most important, you will get tools and experience in how to acquire more knowledge on your own later on, simply through the internet, to further improve yourself if need be. You will also learn how to work on specific projects in teams of 4-5 people, as this is a practice oriented course. You are also provided with the essentials and help from mentors to master theoretical background for the relevant technologies.

If you ever seriously thought of working as a developer but never really dared to start, this is the right place for you. One year of hard work that pays off multifold.

• Zoltán Németh  User Photo
    Zoltán Németh • Student Verified via GitHub
    All the needed knowledge and skills in a friendly and motivating environment. Thanks to the concept of mastery based learning your progression is flexible and give chance to work in your own pace. Transparency, courage, fun and quality are real core values that you can experience every day.

If your financial state worries you it's a perfect choice, because you've got the 1/4 of the time for trying out the school only for 20 000 HUF and if you like the school and fit to the requirements you've got to pay the rest of the fee in 18 months only after you get a job with a guaranteed salary. As far as I know, it's unique among competitors in Hungary.
  • Outstanding!
    - 11/5/2018
    Daniel Koperecz  User Photo
    Daniel Koperecz • Junior Full-stack Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Codecool is a fantastic place to start to learn the basics and the intermediate level of programming. During the course, I learnt a lot about different languages like python and java, had to use some of the best tools for application development, and they gave me confidence to share my ideas with a team, or to speak in front of audience. When we are graduated in the school, we are almost immediately started to work for a company with two of my former classmates. Before Codecool I worked in catering industry, and I would never imagine that I could work in an office instead. Real life changing experience. I spent the best year of my life in this school.
  • Dóra Surmann   User Photo
    Dóra Surmann • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    If you want a real practice oriented course during which everyone is commited to improve your soft skills (communication, presentation, conflict handling, teamwork etc) as well, choose Codecool. During my studies I not only developped programming skills but also became more confident and determined about my professional life. It gives a relavant, up to date knowledge and all the support (hr, network, interview preparations) to help you to get a software developer job. It really was a lifechanging experience for me. 😊
  • Life-changing
    - 3/31/2021
    Lena • Student
    I had my doubts before enrolling to Codecool as I was not familiar with this kind of modern education. But man, is it life-changing!
    It's professional, hands-on and effective, I really feel that I got an entirelly new carrier in just a year. They also found me a job without a problem, exactly what I needed.
  • Dóra Márton • Software developer • Graduate

I've started Codecool after 2 university degree's (BA and MA in psychology) and the strangest thing I realized is that Codecool offered me more during 1 year than 5-6 years of university. Just to name a few: a lot of practical experience in realistic projects; information about the opportunities in the job market, tons of problem solving and soft skills.

• Koncz Gábor • System Developer

The environment is great, pleasant and very friendly. I liked the non-frontal approach to education, it was very effective. Apart from hard skills, I think the most important parts were the soft-skill sessions. It helped a lot, not just to be a better worker, but to be a better person. This school has really all the elements, what needed to start a good carrier as a programmer.

• Best decision!
    - 11/6/2018
    Alex Lisztes • Student

TL;DR: you want to be a software engineer / developer but also want to improve your soft skills, meanwhile at the same time you want to have fun? -> you are looking for Codecool!

If you want to learn software engineering this is the best place you can choose! The course starts at a beginner level -as no developer background is necessary- and you make your progress to advanced levels of programming and not to mention that you make friends meanwhile.

The atmosphere is fantastic, the people you work with everyday are very friendly, helpful, open-minded and you can find a lot in common with them. I have to mention that this is a practice-oriented course, which means that there is an A and B week. On the A week, you are home - yeah, I mean really, you stay at home, but you are always welcome in the office - learning and progressing with the curriculum and put it in practice with a fun little practice task. On week B you are in the office with your team working on a larger project (usually a few weeks long) in sprints. You work in a team of 4 which is changed every 6 weeks or so to make you adopt to the changing situation and to experience what it's like to work with others. On every friday you present what you have acomplished during the week to the others and the mentors.

The mentors are always there if you need any help! They are very experienced and wise people, who always try their best. Mentors try not to tell you the answers directly but make you realize what the problem is, where it is coming from and what could be possible answers. They sit down with you, help you with the research and solving the problem.

About my background: I changed to Codecool from a university because I wanted a more practical knowledge, made this step and I did not regret it, not even once! I would recommend Codecool over any university in Hungary if you had enough with theoretical knowledge and want to put your skills into practice.

Oh about skills, have I mentioned that at Codecool they placed great emphasis on soft skills also? Growth mindset, transparent communication, feedback sharing, you name it, they got us covered.

I'm very well satisfied with Codecool.

RECOMMENDED ~1662.0 hrs on record, 10/10

Main issue: a lot of promises and no results.

First of all, the price is really high. It's 10k Euro, payable after getting a job.

Now, for what do you pay 10k.
    1. For a curricula that is ripped off the internet. Most of the guidelines are not written by them, but rather links from the internet
    2. Some reviews, that quite frankly, do not worth anything.
    3. Access to mentors, but they are overwhelmed. Some of them are good programmers and one of them a really great programmer. Unfortunately, they can not do much since they get overwhelmed by the large number of students.
    4. The general manager or whatever is called, keeps interfering with the students / mentors and the whole path of the school, by sometimes publicly addressing weird phrases towards students.
    5. They lack the jobs they promised. There are students that finished the school few months ago, that are offered shitty jobs that are not even close to what was promised.
    6. Once they receive bad feedback, they start to aproach students that are in school, and ask them to write positive feedback.
    7. Some students are having a bad behaviour related to other students. Aparently Codecool says soft-skills mean a lot, but they can not solve some issue regarding some of the students.
    8. Most of the times the staff over-reacts at simple things that are normal in the life of a person. Such as, maybe at some point you are a bit late. We all know it is important to be right on schedule, but let us not over-react to all the corporate ideas out there.

Sometimes they give the impression of lacking anything professional. with few exceptions from mentors and few exceptions from staff. Other than that, most of the times it is like they do not know what they are doing and the general manager or whatever the role is called, tends to get some personal vendetas about students that maybe talk a bit too much or ask detailed question.

I do not recomend this school, as it is almost totally unprofessional, does not keep the promises and acts almost like a traditional school.
    Response From: Adina Caciulatu of Codecool
    Title: Marketing Manager
    Monday, Apr 12 2021
    Hi! Thank you for such a detailed review. We try to take the best out of each experience with our students, learn and improve.

We are sorry that overall you didn't have a pleasant experience in Codecool. Here is some more detailed information on the questions you raised.

Our price range of 5000 euro (no extra VAT added) is the cost for 12 month (1500 hours) study period with training on both hard and soft skills, the job guarantee promise, the deferred payment option even in instalments, for the whole accredited program. Of course, you get a 3-month trial period, free of charge, so both our students and us, Codecool, realise if it's a match.

The study method is called mastery based learning, we focus a very much on practice, on learning how to learn so our train students can preserve the knowledge they started gathering here. Mentor here offer a guideline and we strongly encourage students to search and find solutions individually. We do try to highlight this as much and as clear as possible to avoid creating false expectations for people joining Codecool. Also, there shouldn't be more than 15 students to a mentor and we constantly research for mentors as the student number is growing.

Transparency is one of our core values, so we do act accordingly. From time to time, we do have student encounters in which we address various topics, according to their interest.

Altogether the goal is to convert the students into future IT specialists (jr. full stack developers) which involves the job guarantee part. This is why our approach is based on practical projects, team-work and soft skills. In terms of post-graduation opportunities, we constantly enlarge our partner network so the students that actually graduated get the job. So far, our success rate is 98%.