learningfuze-logo

LearningFuze

Irvine, Online, Online, Orange County, Orange County

LearningFuze

LearningFuze offers a full immersion, 12-week web development bootcamp through live, virtual classrooms and in Irvine and Orange County, California. Students learn full-stack front and back end development including HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript/jQuery, PHP, MySQL, React, Git/GitHub, Node.JS, Bootstrap, and Firebase. Students are taught by live instructors and get support throughout the course, including problem-solving skills, essential workplace and interviewing skills, and programmer mindset training. The program doesn't require a degree or professional programming experience but does require that students have the right qualities as well as a dedication to learning and making a full-time commitment. Discounts, payment plans, and student loans which can also be used for living expenses are available. The full immersion program includes a 2-week prep class and a 12-week in-person course. After graduation, students will continue to be plugged into LearningFuze through the alumni network and the included job-search assistance. LearningFuze also offers a part-time intro course on nights and weekends.

Recent LearningFuze Reviews: Rating 4.99

all (189) reviews for LearningFuze →

Recent LearningFuze News

Read all (40) articles about LearningFuze →
  • Full-Stack Web Development Bootcamp

Start Date October 5, 2020
    LocationOnline, Orange County
    The 14 week full immersion program is currently being offered in our live virtual classroom and teaches those technologies most in need in the marketplace with a heavy focus on JavaScript and the LAMP stack to become full stack web developers at the conclusion. Our full immersion program is taught in a live classroom format by an experienced team of full-time instructors, staff & career services department. The curriculum has been honed to provide the technical skills to compete for a job in the marketplace and so that graduates can learn any chosen technology. In addition, the program focuses on the soft skills related to web development so that students not only have a polished portfolio of projects but the presentation and interview skills to effectively compete in the marketplace. In summary, students learn by doing with the support of instructors that have been successful commercial developers for many years.
    Deposit$250 Seat Reservation
    Lending partner available: SkillsFund and
    ISA (Income Share Agreement).
    Contact us for more information
    Refund / GuaranteeProrated within the first week of the program
    Scholarship$12,305 average tuition after scholarships, discounts & credits are applied. Visit https://learningfuze.com/pricing for a complete list and contact us with any questions.
    Minimum Skill LevelIt is important for students to have taken the initiative to learn on their own with specific recommendations outlined on the LearningFuze application https://learningfuze.com/full-immersion-application-guide
    Prep WorkStudents that have reserved their seat take the LFZ Prep Course
    October 5, 2020 - Orange County
  • LFZ Prep Course

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Front End
    LocationOnline, Orange County
    The LFZ Prep Course is a 2-week remote/in-class web development training program built for beginners that want to learn how to code and are considering a path to becoming professional developers. The course is designed to prepare students for the full immersion or part-time programs.
    DepositNone required
    Minimum Skill LevelSome understanding of HTML and CSS and ability to effectively navigate a computer
  • Part Time Web Development Program

Start Date November 14, 2020
    LocationOnline, Orange County
    Live in-person instruction with the flexibility to participate remotely as necessary. A curriculum based on the top-rated full immersion program for students passionate about learning professional development to be employment ready. The Part-Time Comprehensive program is the first modular program of its kind tailored to students who are looking for a part time alternative to the full immersion program. It is designed to deliver the same content and career services as the full immersion program, but with the needed flexibility to take the program over time, in steps or "modules" based on your schedule. Additionally, students looking for skills and knowledge in a particular technical area, but not necessarily all 3 modules, can simply choose to take an individual module of their choice. Simply apply and ensure that you are ready to get the most out of the instruction. Of course, whether taking an individual module or two, the program is all about learning the practical skills of development by building numerous full-scale projects in a work-like environment led by seasoned instructors.
    DepositNone
    We offer financing through our lending partners SkillsFund
    Refund / Guarantee$500 discount for Module 1
    ScholarshipPlease check our https://learningfuze.com/pricing?course=part-time for scholarships
    Minimum Skill LevelNo prior experience necessary
    Prep WorkRecommendations on each module
    November 14, 2020 - Orange County
  • Remote Full Stack Web Development Bootcamp

Start Date October 5, 2020
    The 14-week remote full immersion program is offered in our live virtual classroom and teaches those technologies most in need in the marketplace with a heavy focus on JavaScript and the LAMP stack to become full stack web developers at the conclusion. Our full immersion program is taught in a live classroom format by an experienced team of full-time instructors, staff & career services department. The curriculum has been honed to provide the technical skills to compete for a job in the marketplace and so that graduates can learn any chosen technology. In addition, the program focuses on the soft skills related to web development so that students not only have a polished portfolio of projects but the presentation and interview skills to effectively compete in the marketplace. In summary, students learn by doing with the support of instructors that have been successful commercial developers for many years. - Live, Remote Instruction led by Professional Engineers - Engaging Virtual Community with Speakers, Job Fair, and Student Events - Same Full-Immersion Curriculum for those that want to Learn Remotely - Seasoned Senior Instructors - Largest Employer Network - Comprehensive Career Services - Extensive Instructional Team - Low Student-to-Teacher Ratio - Curriculum Focused on most In-Demand Technologies - Curriculum Developed in Collaboration with Employers
    Lending partner available: SkillsFund and
    ISA (Income Share Agreement).
    Contact us for more information

Tuition PlansPlease check our website for discounts. We also offer financing through Skills Fund and an ISA ( Income Share Agreement) https://learningfuze.com/pricing?course=full-immersion
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund for 60% or less of course complete
    Scholarshiphttps://learningfuze.com/pricing?course=full-immersion
    Minimum Skill LevelIt is important for students to have taken the initiative to learn on their own with specific recommendations outlined on the LearningFuze application https://learningfuze.com/full-immersion-remote-preparation-guide
    Prep WorkStudents that have reserved their seat take the remote LFZ Prep Course
    October 5, 2020 - Online
  • UI/UX Design Course

HTML, Digital Marketing, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Agile
    Start Date November 21, 2020
    LocationOrange County, Irvine
    Flexible, Modular Approach - This modular or part time program is tailored for students looking for professional skills in design. It is constructed for those that are currently working or have personal obligations that a part time program accommodates. Class Structure and Learning - Each module is comprised of an in-depth 12 week curriculum built by industry professionals that allows students to gain the skills in both User Experience and User Interface to enter the industry professionally. Class sessions take place 3 days a week where students will gain a strong, practical understanding of how to create intuitive designs based on user wants utilizing powerful designs tools such as Adobe XD, Figma and Invision. Projects and Portfolio - Students will learn through a deliberate, practiced approach by working through relevant exercises and creating real world projects led by seasoned industry professionals. Students will learn what it takes to design professionally whether pursuing a career in design or adding serious value to current skills.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansUp Front Payment 3rd Party Lender
    Refund / GuaranteeUp to 60% of course or each module completed
    ScholarshipEarly registration discount of $300
    Minimum Skill LevelBeginner/Novice
    Prep WorkProvided upon registratrion
    November 21, 2020 - Orange County

• Brett Albright • Front End Developer • Graduate

Although I had always maintained a passion for computers since my earliest days, my career path had instead taken me on a winding road into the healthcare field as a Respiratory Therapist. At dinner one night a long time friend of mine named Scott, who knew of my technical passions and who also happened to teach web development at LearningFuze, asked if I would be curious in checking out the full immersion program because he thought I would really enjoy it. I decided to take him up on the offer, quit my job a week after the info session, and turned in my application for admission. It was the greatest decision I have ever made.

Because web development was new for me I made sure to attend the root classes which were incredibly helpful. It is a great way to get a feel for what the program will be like, and for those who like me have little to no experience in programming they are a godsend for making the material digestible. They serve as an excellent primer for people new to coding, and because the root classes are included in the tuition it is a no brainer to attend them.

I was warned many times by the staff prior to the full immersion start date that it would be difficult and require about 60 hours a week of hard dedicated work to succeed, and the warnings were fully justified. As someone who easily scored in the top levels of my college courses I thought I would once again be “the smart guy in the room” and I could slip in under those numbers, but i quickly learned that I was surrounded by people who were much smarter than me and that I would need to squeeze in every extra moment of work I could to keep up. It was a wonderfully humbling experience.

While it is often said that it is people that make the difference in an educational environment, nowhere is that more true than at LearningFuze. From my initial meetings with Monique, Bill, and TJ during the application process to my interactions with the instructors Dan, Tim, Collette, Andy, Cody, and of course my friend Scott (who showed no favoritism and always made sure to keep me on task), I was surrounded by a team of dedicated, knowledgeable, and most importantly, helpful people who would do anything in their collective and individual power to help me and every other student succeed. I have never been in a work environment that I enjoyed visiting so much each day.

The curriculum hit all the bases. HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, React JS, Redux JS, PHP, Node Js, APIs, AWS, Github, whiteboards, technical assessments, scrums. You name it, we were submerged in it. I must admit that often during the cohort I suffered from a feeling of being behind, which was shared universally among the students because of the deluge of information that was laid before us. But, the reality is that in a few short months the team of instructors had taken a classroom of strangers and turned them into a group of dedicated programming teams. By the end of the program every student had served an integral role in the planning and hands on development of full fledged web applications from beginning to end, a feat of which I did not believe I was capable of only a few months ago.The system of education LearningFuze has cultivated over the last several years is not flawless but I as a long time college student I can say it is head and shoulders above the educational experiences I have had previously. In a field where the principal focus is on the practical application of programming ability, LearningFuze rightly keeps its educational focus on real world development. If you put the proper time in and listen to all the advice the staff offers during the cohort, you will learn to program.

One of the unsung heroes of LearningFuze is their extensive employment assistance. There are lectures and exercises on resume building, technical portfolio creation (from start to finish along with in-depth feedback), mock interviews, field trips to tech companies with a track record of hiring LearningFuze graduates, and all the information a junior level programmer starting in a new and competitive field needs. I have been told that many people do not fully avail themselves of this aspect of the program, but in my opinion it is instrumental to success.

I would be remiss if my glowing review up to this point of the full immersion invited the idea that all was peace and happiness during my time at LearningFuze. I have already mentioned that my status of “smart guy” was immediately and often called into question (by myself not others, the instructors were always supportive even when I asked the same question for the hundredth time), but you must be prepared to have days where you walk away feeling beat up by logic and concepts that can only seep into one’s mind after they marinated for a week or two. We were told on the first day of class by Dan the “Yoda of Programming” (a well earned title) that this class would be the hardest thing we ever did, and he was entirely correct. The “Valley of Despair” is a real place that must be faced by all programmers, but thankfully LearningFuze provides an environment which takes at least some of the sting away.

Perhaps the greatest measure of a person’s feeling about a decision that they have made is whether or not they would make the decision again given what they know of the decisions outcome, and in that regard I can say that I would gladly do so. During my time at LearningFuze, I not only learned the intricacies of web development and what I was capable of doing when pressed, but I met friends that I know will last a lifetime, and I finally got a chance to follow a long held dream. If you are thinking of going to a bootcamp to learn programming and change your life like I did, make sure you keep LearningFuze on your shortlist of schools, you won’t regret it.

• Connor Ashlock  User Photo
    Connor Ashlock • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I was impressed with LearningFuze bootcamp before I even started my first day of the program. They wanted to see if I was serious and ready because they didn’t want me to feel unprepared for a course that packs a ton of information into a 14-week period. I had a zoom interview with a career counselor and a phone call with the Director of Operations before joining the program. Having talked to them, I could tell that they wanted me to succeed in this program and way after the completion of the course. That gave me a great first impression and I could tell they really cared.

An amazing aspect about the program is their career services. Throughout my time here, we have had more than a handful of sessions talking about what we need to do to land that job we’re pursuing. The staff here is really doing their best to prepare us for interviews and the job search. They really want me to succeed in my career in coding and it shows.

I have just finished up the 9th week of the program and I can say that I have learned so much in such a short amount of time. So far we have learned HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Bootstrap, Flexbox, Node.js, Express.js, RESTful APIs, and even more. Next week I’ll be learning React and I’m pumped for it. This program genuinely has me excited about learning new programs and languages. It’s in part due to the great instructors at LearningFuze. They make the learning experience fun and exciting. Whenever stuck, they are always there to help out. They also don’t just give you the answer to make it easy. They really make me think about what is going on in the code so that I understand it. The instructors really ingrain the information into our minds. Coding is something you can tell they are passionate about, and that is always something I want to see in the people who are going to be teaching it to me.

My experience at LearningFuze has been amazing. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a chance to learn and pursue a career in programming.

• Matthew Chen  User Photo
    Matthew Chen • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    What more can I say about LearningFuze? Honestly, I am amazed at how much I was able to learn in the short amount of time that was in the program. Going from zero to hero in 14 weeks feels like an impossible feat but it was made possible through LearningFuze and their incredible staff. Every staff personnel is there to make sure you succeed and the support system is completely flawless. It was worth every penny for me. Learning the basic trifecta of HTML,CSS and JS was the brim of the cup but being able to learn: Node.js, RESTful APIs, Agile, JSON, jQuery, React.js, HTTPie, and many more that I am able to list.

Trust me when I say this that there is real genuine interest in every student and it is booming with exuberant passion.
  • Mil Amirian  User Photo
    Mil Amirian • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I searched for a long time before deciding on a Bootcamp - changing careers is not easy so I wanted to make sure I'm picking the right place to begin my coding journey. I am so happy I decided to go with LearningFuze. The extent of course material and the supportive staff have helped turn a difficult subject (coding) into a very enjoyable one. The staff are VERY knowledgeable and they genuinely care about your progress. You can message them at ANY time and they will respond. Aside from the course content, LearninFuze is also an incredible community of current and past students. There are many channels on their Slack service that include meetups. These guys know what they're doing and I can honestly say I am more than happy with what I have learned so far. Also worth mentioning is their career services - they take the time to make sure you have EVERYTHING you need from interview prepping to resume reviews and even networking strategies - like I said, they genuinely want you to succeed and will do anything they can to make sure you do.
  • Michael Poole  User Photo
    Michael Poole • Software Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have had a wonderful time learning how to code at LearningFuze. They don't just teach you how to code, they teach you the mindset of a coder as well. They give you the tools you'll need to solve problems on your own and thrive as a developer once you leave the program. It is tough, but fair, and well worth it!
  • Joseph Nguyen  User Photo
    Joseph Nguyen • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    It was a great experience attending LearningFuze! I really enjoyed working with the instructors and they taught me how to code and write dynamic web applications!
  • Graduate
    - 8/16/2020
    Michael Zhu  User Photo
    Michael Zhu • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Deciding on which bootcamp to attend is a big decision, and I've been there. You want to choose the best bootcamp and one where you will get the most out of. It's also a huge financial commitment. As I was going thru my own bootcamp searching process, I did my due diligence and looked at all the well-known bootcamps around LA and OC. Whether it be looking at reviews all over the internet, talking to alumni of various bootcamps, or going to an info session ⁠— I did it all. I ended up choosing LearningFuze out of all the other bootcamps that I looked into because not only is their tuition significantly lower, but they also felt the most genuine and seemed to have a more structured program and just an all-around environment. All of their alumni that I talked to spoke highly of and vouched for the program. Their info session also left me with the best feeling and impression over the other bootcamps I considered. To get the best feeling out of an info session AND have the tuition be significantly less than other bootcamps? It was a no brainer for me. Not to mention that LearningFuze pretty much has its own entire building with 2 floors compared to some other bootcamps that I looked at that only have one floor of an office building or even just one room of a building.

Now that I've graduated from LearningFuze, I can truly say that I made the right decision. All the instructors are amazing, supportive, and truly care about your education and learning. During my time in the program, the curriculum focused on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React.js, Node.js, Express, and PostgreSQL. They are constantly tweaking, updating, and improving their curriculum so that they're always on top of the most current and in-demand technologies. You definitely get the feeling that LearningFuze's mission is to help you become a capable developer at the end of their program and that they're not just out to make money off you.

LearningFuze also has amazing post-program career services and job assistance. They stay in touch with you and do their best to keep you accountable after the program to make sure that you're on track and working to land your first developer position. They also set up events such as demo days for you to present to various employers that they have connections with to possibly help get your foot in the door for an interview. They pretty much do everything in their power to be there and give support & aid for you to land your first developer position. But no matter how great of a program LearningFuze has, it's still ultimately up to you to put in the work yourself to get to where you want to be.
  • The Real Deal!
    - 8/12/2020
    Tim Ahn  User Photo
    Tim Ahn • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    If you are someone interested in starting a career in web development, I highly recommend enrolling at LearningFuze.

By the end of the program, you will know how to build full stack web applications. It is an intense and fast-paced learning experience, but the end goal is 100% achievable! The full immersion program is 14 weeks of full-time learning and coding in a simulated work environment and the curriculum is constantly being updated with lessons that will teach you how to use relevant technologies that are used in the web development industry. The instructors are great teachers that truly care about your learning experience and the career services provided by LearningFuze are top-notch and have prepared me to be a competitive and employable web developer. On top of absolute professionalism, the staff at LearningFuze are great people that want to help you succeed!
    - 8/11/2020
    Mason Keiser  User Photo
    Mason Keiser • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I could not give more praise to the staff of LearningFuze. They are there to help you along every step of the way (and for me specifically a career change) and are instrumental in your growth as not only a programmer but a person. I started LearningFuze back in April of this year with barely any coding knowledge other than completing a todo list tutorial and a few other non unique beginner JavaScript tutorials and finished in early July. I was able to attend the in-class prep courses that they offer before diving into the full immersion course, which I recommend to anyone who is interested in doing the full immersion course. Unfortunately a few days after signing up for the full immersion course COVID-19 struck and what was going to be an in class course shifted to an online class. However I quickly learned how amazing being able to go through this program online was. LearningFuze seemed to me to be entirely prepared for this transition because every reading and resource we needed to have was already online in LearningFuze's GitHub repository. Despite being online and being 30+ miles away from the actual learning fuze campus there was not a time that I felt like I was alone throughout the entire process. LearningFuze covers all the in demand coding languages/frameworks/tools you will need to become a successful developer. It is amazing to me to be able to look back and see how much I have learned throughout my 3 month journey in the full immersion course. Not only do they teach you what is in demand they teach you how to learn. This is one of the most useful skills in a career like software engineering where everything is constantly changing and being updated. Overall i've been extremely thrilled with my experience at Learning Fuze would recommend their program to anyone trying to get their foot in the door of the software industry.
  • John Nguyen  User Photo
    John Nguyen • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    About me: I didn't know anything about coding before the program.  Graduating from the program is the most difficult but also the most rewarding thing I have done in my life.  Starting taking online prep courses in January, took the LFZ Prep Courses in March, started the full-immersion program in April, and graduated in July.  I am currently polishing up my apps for my portfolio before starting the job search process, goal is to find a job by November.

Bottom Line: The LearningFuze full-immersion program is the best decision I have ever made, but also know that it's the hardest thing I have ever accomplished. The instructors and lessons are TOP-NOTCH, they are all incredibly well versed in the technology and love teaching it, and they will support you!  You get out exactly as much as you put in, but you also need to take the initiative to ask for support when you need it.  The career-guidance and job-search process is baked into the program, so although instruction is only for 3 months, the program truly doesn't end until you find a job.  Also, my cohort was the first full-remote cohort due to COVID-19, but being remote wasn't even an issue in learning.  I do have to admit that building camaraderie with my cohort mates was challenging since we are not around each other all the time (they do host online social events like saturday afternoon games, and our cohort hosted lunch time games each week), but it was nice not having a 40 mile daily commute, so there are pros and cons, but I feel like I was able to learn just as effectively as an in-person program.

Purpose of the review:  The LFZ website does a wonderful job of informing you what the full-immersion program is like and the topics you will be learning, so instead of going over what I learned as an engineer, I want to focus on what I learned about myself and my personal journey in the program.  Mental health is a determining factor of my success.  I actually wanted to repeat the first half of the program over because I was feeling overwhelming anxiety coming into the second half, and I am so glad that LFZ provided the support I needed to change my perspective, gain confidence, and really start to think and problem solve like an engineer.

In writing this review, I’m taking this opportunity to reflect on my experiences and want to put in a lot of through.  So fair warning, because it’s a long one (6 pages single spaced on Google Docs)!  I will be splitting this review into several parts: before, during, and after the program, with a short TLDR (Too Long, Didn’t Read summary) starting each section.

1.  Before joining the program
    TLDR: If I was going to  be serious about starting and succeeding in the program, I needed to prepare the next year of my life, mentally, physically, and financially, to learn how to code and find a job.

Before joining LearningFuze, I knew nothing about coding.  I graduated from UCI with a degree in the Humanities and did data entry for four years.  Loved the job but it lacked career advancement opportunities, so I was ready for a change.  At a new year's eve party, my friend who is an LFZ Alum and a full-time software engineer told me about the program.  To briefly summarize, he said it was the best decision of his life because his salary is allowing him to live comfortably.  But at the same time, getting through the program was one of the hardest things he has ever done, and if I am going to succeed in the program, I need to dedicate my entire life for the next year, mentally, physically, and financially, to learn how to code and find a job.

2.  Preparing for the program
    TLDR: I took some online courses at CodeAcademy and WatchAndCode before taking the LFZ Prep Courses.   I attended an info session with Cody, and his energy and love for teaching was just shining through.  When I learned that he was one of the full-time instructors, I knew I was making the right choice signing up with LFZ.

On my friend's advice, my first priority in preparing for the program was to get my finances squared away so I can just focus on learning the material.  The program demands roughly 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, of work and practice and I needed to minimize distraction.  My plan was to quit my job at the end of March while starting the prep courses in the beginning of March, and enter the full immersion program in April.  My free time was spent on CodeAcademy and WatchAndCode absorbing as much knowledge as I can to prepare for their technical assessment (which, at that time, was actually quite difficult!).  During that time, I went to an Info Session that was led by Cody.  I have to admit, I didn't research other programs because my friend spoke so highly of the program, but Cody really sold me on it.  During the info session, his love and energy for teaching and coding really came through.  When I learned that he is one of the full-time instructors for the first half of the program, I was 100% ready to sign up, and I am so glad I did!

Looking back on my experience with the LFZ Prep Courses, in addition to being an intro to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, what I found most valuable was that it an introduction to the kind of workflow expected of the students during the full-immersion program, the kind of problem-solving mindset of an engineer, and learning how to use Git/GitHub, which made the first few weeks of the program a lot smoother in terms of being able to address any problems I encountered when learning how to use the technology.

3.  First Half of the Program
    TLDR: Get ready to embrace the struggle, but also know that your cohort members, TAs, and Instructors are there to help and support you each step of the way.

The full-immersion is split into two halves: Junior Side and Senior Side both with their own instructors.  The Junior Side is the super positive and the guidance to the lessons begins with a hold-your-hand-through-each-step mentality that slowly transitions you to becoming an independent coder.  I actually think the Junior Side is more difficult than the Senior side because I was still getting used to thinking like an engineer.  Don't get it twisted though, Senior Side is still difficult!  For me, learning about HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and working with Git/GitHub is a brand new experience, while at the same time I was going through so much material everyday.  It seemed overwhelming and intimidating!  And I was struggling with the fact that there's so much information out there and I didn't know enough.  But that's part of the struggle.  Even as a graduate, there's still so much I don't know but the difference is, I am comfortable with not knowing everything, and because of that change in perspective, I am much more confident with my ability to code and build apps.  The program teaches you how to learn on your own by working on small exercises that build upon each other until it culminates into a larger project.  And then, the program allows you to build a project on your own or in groups.  And all along the way, I walked into a ton of brick walls, but by working through the problems, either on my own, or with one of my cohort members, or with a TA or instructor, I will get that ah-hah! moment, a light bulb turns on in my head.  What I thought was once impossible to solve or understand now just makes so much sense, and it's actually really exhilarating.

I also have to say that while the program is difficult, the instructors and TAs are always available.  I remember at the end of my first week, I asked to talk to one of the Instructors after instruction was over because I needed help on my mental game and with processing the feelings I was experiencing, because .  And we spoke for 30 minutes on a Friday evening and he gave me some much needed insight to help me not be so anxious.

4.  The Second Half of the Program: Part 1.
    TLDR: My anxiety got the best of me so I reached out for support, and they made a plan of action to get the support I need by the next day.

The second half of the program starts to simulate an actual working environment where you have one instructor (aka your project manager) that you will turn in your assignments (aka your projects).  The mood is more serious as you are expected to be an independent coder.  Senior side is when you begin to learn more about the back-end servers and database aspect of creating an app, so there are still lots of new concepts being given to you.  It was also at this point where I really started feeling anxious because I didn't feel like my foundation wasn’t as strong as I’d like it to be from the first half.   I also had a rough experience with one of my solo projects from the first half (I had to pivot my idea half-way through, so it wasn't as developed as I'd like it to be when I presented my work), so I was thinking about going back to the junior side, or even taking a break from the program so I can have more time to prepare for the senior side.

So I reached out to Monique who is in charge of the mental health services, letting her know what I was thinking and asked her if it is normal for other students to feel this way?  We met the next morning and she listened to what I had to say.  She reassured me that I was not alone in thinking this way, but at the same time she recognized the anxiety I was having and we came up with a game plan.  She was thinking of giving me a tutor for a couple sessions for two weeks the next day we met for half an hour, but before making any final plans she wanted to talk to my instructors from the first and second half of the program to see if they noticed any issues I had with learning the material.  Later that same day, we met again and after speaking to my instructors, they didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with me.  I was completing the lessons on time and I even completed some lessons ahead of time.  So yes, it was definitely normal for me to feel this way but I was also being too hard on myself.

5.  The Second Half of the Program: Part 2.
    TLDR: The tutoring sessions helped me change my perspective and build my confidence.  Coding is still difficult, but I'm finally noticing patterns in project development allowing me to solve problems and reach my goals faster.

My tutor asked me what I wanted to talk about during our sessions.  I told him that I wanted to understand the thought process of how to go about solving certain problems and challenges so I can be successful.  I also asked him to explain some of the higher order javascript functions because it just wasn't making any sense to me.  So, we spent some time going over it, and even when he got stumped trying to explain it in a way that I can understand (which was understandable.  Learning how to code is one thing, but explaining how it works requires a level of expertise!) he reached out to one of the main instructors who joined our zoom call and helped explain it as well!

One of the breakthroughs I've had during these tutoring sessions helped me change my perspective.  For one of our exercises, we were assigned practice problems and I was having trouble completing some of the more difficult ones.  I was looking at it as one big problem that looks so difficult, but he showed me that I just needed to break it down to smaller problems and solve them step by step.  When I was able to solve one of the harder ones on my own, it was like a light switch turned on in my head, and I thought, "oh, was that it??".  It was a small but very important change in perspective and it allowed me to start feeling more confident about myself.

Just like in the first half, in the second half we work on smaller exercises that build upon each other that will culminate in a bigger project.  And when working on these projects, I noticed a pattern emerging when it comes to project development, so I was becoming better at planning out my steps in meeting my goals.  It was really exciting and I finally felt confident on my own because I was knocking out features for my projects at a more natural pace.  I was also finding solutions to problems I was encountering more efficiently, and the rush I would get from these ah-hah moments came more often.  There are times when coding can still be a struggle and I find myself at my wits' end, but instead of feeling anxious about being stuck, I’m gaining the confidence that I will push through.  I even messaged the instructor telling him how much fun I was having finally getting into my own groove, and he says that as long as I’m willing to stick through the really difficult and challenging topics, and take this learning process with me after the program to learn new technology on my own, then the sky's the limit.

And this carried me through to the final project, and my group was really fun to work with.  It was very gratifying seeing all of my hard work pay off when developing our app, and working in a group environment solidified everything I learned.  Our group ran into some challenges during this process, but we leaned on each other’s strengths to carry us through.  One of my fondest memories was that I took it upon myself to work through an entire weekend so we can meet the deadline and I was knocking out features and bug fixes left and right, even though it was my birthday one of those days.  I told my team, “nah, I’d rather work on this and be proud of our finished product.  I can celebrate my birthday any time, but I only have so much time to work on this project before the program is over.”  And as a group, we were very proud of our final product.  I can confidently say that I am a full-stack web developer.

(I also want to mention that coming into the final project, I was very anxious and even lost sleep the day before the final project process began because I thought it would be a repeat of my solo-project before from the first half of the program.  But that just wasn’t the case here, I felt confident every step of the way.)

The presentations though were another thing!  On graduation day, each group presented their final project, and I was thoroughly impressed by everybody’s presentations while also being proud of my group’s app.  My group members did a fantastic job presenting the parts they worked on, but I was nervous.  Public speaking is one of the areas I need to work on, so let’s just say I was sweating bullets during my five minutes of the presentation.  However, this gave me another goal to strive for: being able to comfortably explain the technology that powers my apps.

But finally, we graduated!  After my presentation was over, there was a wave of feeling that came over me, and I definitely felt a kind of way about my experiences.  The first thing I thought about was I couldn’t believe I was so close to taking a break from the program or to repeating the first half of the program again.  I’m so glad I reached out to Monique and she gave me the support I need to gently push me in the right direction.  Then, the sense of supreme accomplishment of completing the most difficult thing I have ever done.  It was better than any ah-hah moment, it was actually THE ah-hah moment and I was so proud of myself.  Before this year, I knew nothing about coding.  After spending three months preparing for this program, and spending another three months in the program, and a ginormous amount of hard work, I know how to develop a full-stack app and I have the skills necessary to learn new technology.

So I spent the rest of the day celebrating with my cohort members playing online games, and spent the evening with my friends finally celebrating my birthday.  I took the next day off, and then went straight into working on my portfolio, because the work isn’t done until I get a job!

Post-Grad: Portfolio and Career Services
    TLDR: The “real” part of the program starts post-grad with completing the portfolio and preparing for the job search.  Throughout the program there are webinars and online lectures to help you prepare for this part of the process, and mock interviews to help check where your skills currently are.  It’s one thing to learn how to code, it’s a completely different thing being able to explain how it works in an interview setting, and there are resources available to help with that.

Throughout the program there are webinars and “lunch and learn” lectures focused on topics like developing our professional presence with our resumes, setting up and creating an effective LinkedIn profile, networking, the job search and the interviewing process, and what it’s like to be a developer.  The career services are baked into the program and it is a source of valuable information that is presented to us in a very concise, succinct yet thorough manner.  And these webinars are available to us after the program.

As a graduate, the hardest part of the program begins.  I’m not working with an instructor or in a cohort environment any longer, so I need to set my own hours everyday and determine what I need to do each day to complete my portfolio and progress in the job search.  I am still in touch with some of the instructors who are in charge of reviewing portfolio requirements, so I am currently working to complete my portfolio.  Once my final portfolio is approved, I’ll be given the go-ahead to start the job search.

At the same time, they also give mock interviews, and for someone who is really shy and very introverted, these mock interviews are incredibly valuable.  I have developed apps that I am very proud of, and just like in the presentations, these mock interviews show how much work I need to do still to be able to present my apps and talk about my experiences technically.  I still stutter and blank out on even the easy technical questions, and when the pressure really piles on, I break pretty easily.  The great thing is that these interviews are designed to do that so they can give focused feedback on what my strengths are and what I still need to work on and what my strategy should be.  Also, when I’m under pressure, I forget the basic interview strategies like ending with a strong closer.  So it’s good that I’m breaking now and learn from the experience, cuz I can only (hopefully) get better from here!

There is still a lot of work I need to do.  Still working on my portfolio, I just did an app demo with my previous employer earlier this week (with guidance from the Program Director and the main career services guy, TJ) and that was a learning experience.  I did better than I did in my first mock interview, but I still have a lot of room to improve on with speaking about the technology.  And I have my second mock interview scheduled with TJ next week and I’m preparing as much as I can.  It won't be a perfect interview on my part, but I want to keep improving and keep getting better.

Conclusion
    LearningFuze is an amazing program that provides you the material and support necessary to soak in a TON of information and use the technology in a very short amount of time, and to find a job.  But it’s a two way street, you will also need to put in everything you got to not just succeed, but to be proud of the work you put in and the apps you developed, and then even more work on top of that to be confident in explaining how your apps work and be successful in the job search.  I’m very happy with my experiences in LearningFuze, I’m ready to keep on embracing the struggle and work on the next part of my job search process, and highly recommend this program to everyone who is on the fence of joining a web-dev boot camp.
  • Kevin Nhim  User Photo
    Kevin Nhim • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have about two weeks left in the program, and while it has been a tough journey, I would definitely recommend this program to anyone interested in learning web development! Even though the course was taught through Zoom due to COVID-19, I can genuinely say it didn't detract from my learning experience at all. The instructors are personable and knowledgeable, and there are TAs to assist you if you need a little extra help. If you still aren't sure about the program, I would highly recommend taking the (free) prep course to see what the actual learning experience will be like.
  • Amazing experience
    - 7/27/2020
    Felix Chin  User Photo
    Felix Chin • Student Verified via GitHub
    I am in my final weeks of the program and can't say enough great things about my experience so far. The instructors here are extremely personable and really do care about making sure every student understands the curriculum. Even though the campus is closed due to COVID-19, the classes conducted through Zoom have been excellent!
  • Una Jeon  User Photo
    Una Jeon • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    My experience at LearningFuze has been amazing!! I first got to hear about this bootcamp through the reviews on the internet and like all the positive reviews said it's been fantastic journey so far. It definitely is not an easy course and need to invest your time in, but it definitely is very rewarding. Also, instructors make sure to check up on each student how you are doing. Through this program you don't just learn computer languages, but also learn to work like a developer so that when you go out in the real world it will be easier to adjust!

Due to Covid-19, all classes were through Zoom, but it worked out perfectly! Instructors and TAs are always available for answers when you have questions.  If you are worried about doing bootcamp remotely, don' because staffs at LearningFuze provide an exceptional learning experience!