flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to employer partnerships to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.65

all (492) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (153) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states.
    Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $18,900
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    Tuition PlansNYC, DC, Houston, Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco - $16,900
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansPart-time and Full-time - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $16,900 Part-Time Course: $16,900 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansAustin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Seattle, DC, NYC, San Francisco - $16,900
  • Wendy Raven McNair  User Photo
    Wendy Raven McNair • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Flatiron is an intensive rigorous program that requires your preparation (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Ruby, GitHub) and dedication. The Software Engineering program consisted of 5 Modules in which you built a project at the end of each module. Instructors are incredibly knowledgeable. They support you but they also push you to learn how to go out and find the answers on your own.
  • Get to work!
    - 3/18/2021
    JUSTIN DAVIES  User Photo
    JUSTIN DAVIES • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    In my experience the curriculum was excellent. The labs and help chat were awesome! You can talk to your instructor about curriculum you aren’t undeterstanding annnd the hard working team in the help chat(I forgot their title). The projects were my favorite part of the curriculum. But, the community is what got me through. I went in with minimal knowledge of html and css. I graduated with 5 projects completed. My projects were impressive to me but there were projects that made my jaw drop. It’s amazing what we can create once we learn. I recommend FlatIron if you are serious about making a career change. When I say serious, you have to understand that the hardest part is getting a job after you graduate. It could take a really long time before you find your first job. BUT, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. I put in the work and I am a better man for it.
  • Dana Jackson  User Photo
    Dana Jackson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the 15 week intensive full time software engineering bootcamp at Flatiron. I was part of the Seattle cohort, but because of Covid-19 the program was conducted entirely online. I thought that would be a drawback but it ended up being great. With no commuting I had more time to dedicate to coding and I was able to fit in a few more to-do's each day, like going for a run or getting an errand done. This program is an amazing way to learn a new skill very quickly. The structure of the program is excellent, and allows for self motivated learning but also provides a lot of much needed direction. I came from the performing arts so I was afraid I would be a fish out of water, but I had no trouble jumping right into the new material. My instructors were truly top tier educators, and really cared about my success. I cant say enough positive things about my experience at Flatiron. I feel it gave me the boost I needed to change my life and launch into a new career with confidence and momentum.
  • Great community
    - 3/15/2021
    Chi Nguyen  User Photo
    Chi Nguyen • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Great experience here. Flatiron has great staff and great instructors who always motivate students and care about students' feelings. Especially, I highly appreciate Flatiron materials. Very clear and persistent.
  • Unresponsive
    - 3/11/2021
    Eunice Park  User Photo
    Eunice Park • Verified via LinkedIn
    I submitted an application on 3/1/21 and was contacted the next day by Maryssa Medley to schedule an interview. I wanted to review their free "Hacking 101 course" before scheduling my interview even though it's not required. I scheduled my interview two days later and was not able to get a slot until 3/16. I had already received an offer of admissions to another bootcamp and they needed my acceptance/enrollment by 3/12, so I emailed Maryssa to see if I could get in earlier perhaps with another admissions officer and received an automated response that she was not in until the 10th and had limited access to emails. In her automated email, she refers urgent matters to her colleague, Michael Krashes. I emailed him and cc'd Maryssa, explaining my dilemma again and emphasizing that Flatiron was my first choice of bootcamps. I received no response from either by the next day. So on the 5th, I called the general admissions line and left a voicemail since apparently no one is in due to covid. I also sent an email to the admissions office, as was suggested in their outgoing voicemail recording. By the 10th, which is also when Maryssa was due back in the office, I still had not heard from ANYONE. That evening, Fullstack had a seminar with a panel of their alumni. One of the questions I asked is if any of them had considered any other bootcamps and why they chose to enroll at Fullstack. Two of them had looked at Flatiron's curriculum and decided that their program was not inclusive enough to set them up for a successful career in cybersecurity. One also commented that they did no seem to have the infrastructure to accommodate a virtual learning program. That's a nice way of putting it! They flat out ignored me even knowing that I really wanted to enroll and I reached out to four different people!! Today as I'm writing this on 3/11, I still have not heard from ANYONE, even though I canceled my original interview stating my reasons. If they are this unresponsive during the application process, I can't imagine what the experience would be like during the program itself and when looking for a job, especially for someone like me who is a novice and is putting faith into an institution like this bootcamp to guide me through the work to successfully start a career in a completely different industry from where I'm coming from. My cohort with Fullstack starts tomorrow. I will definitely add a review for that bootcamp once I've completed it. I feel REALLY good about the people there. Every question I've had along the way has been promptly answered and, on some occasions, by multiple people reaching out to me.
  • Av  User Photo
    Av • Data Associate • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Flatiron School's Online Data Science Immersive was a fast-paced, rigorous and exciting experience throughout which I felt supported by my instructors, cohort, and career coach. I had completed undergraduate and graduate level calc + statistics coursework prior to starting the program, which absolutely helped to make the pace more manageable throughout the math-heavy modules. I would recommend this program to other graduates who are looking to expand their knowledge of coding and data science methods, and who would benefit from having structure and community throughout their learning journey. If you're willing to put the required work in, you'll leave with a project portfolio, a data science blog, and the skills to continuing building upon your work after you leave Flatiron.
  • Kelsey Shiba  User Photo
    Kelsey Shiba • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I don't think I can recommend this program enough. I am in awe on how they delivered exactly what they laid out. My teacher was absolutely incredible. She always went above-and-beyond the call of duty, and she was an expert in debugging and resolving issues even related to our individual computers. She was an excellent teacher, and laid out concepts ideas in a clear, easy to understand way. I love the interface that was created along with the many levels and different ways to support yourself. I learned so much from the peer programming, and although we were online, it was easy to figure out who you could connect with and learn from that way. I also love that we were later split into pods with others that learned similarly, so we could conquer new concepts together each week. I always felt like I was with people who were smarter than I was, and learned exponentially more because of it. I also love that the "Ask A Question" feature was open really early and really late. It was nice to have structure, although we were allowed to be a little bit behind in lessons and a little bit ahead as fit our individual scheduling needs. If I missed a lecture I could go back and review the recording on my own time. I have a young child and I was able to serve my family while I went to school. I learned a ton from the technicians available online as well. I also was so proud of each project I created, because I learned a lot while being forced to figure things out on my own. There was a wealth of online videos to watch to help support the ideas, lessons to pass, and although each project review with a different instructor was a bit nerve wracking, it was the closest thing to an interview at each step of the process.

The support I received while at school was also admirable. I took advantage of the Educational Coach while I was at school, which was a huge part of my success. He helped me process through stress and helped me focus on goals, while providing practical solutions to better myself and my overall disposition so I could survive. I was blown away that I had this resource available to me during this time.

After I graduated, I also received an amazing amount of support. My Career Coach challenged me and asked difficult questions to help me identify my negative patterns, and walked me through step-by-step instructions on how to improve my connections on Linked In and get my applications noticed. His approaches and techniques were practical, useful and 100% successful. He was extremely helpful in getting a job and improving my gratitude for opportunities in my life.

Flatiron School has embraced the future of education in a way that has completely changed my life. I cannot speak highly enough about the school and its organization.
  • Lindsay  User Photo
    Lindsay • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As a graduate of the Software Engineering Immersive program at  Flatiron School, I have nothing but great things to say about the school, the program, and the Chicago Campus specifically. The program is a rigorous course designed for absolute beginners to launch a career in tech. I previously studied opera performance and hold a Bachelor of Arts in Music and Master of Music in Voice. I had completed no previous engineering or computer science coursework prior to my studies at Flatiron. They truly are there to support you every step of the way for this career change.

First of all, they have a free bootcamp prep course which is designed to give you fundamental skills in Ruby, JavaScript, and programming logic in general. They have technical coaches available to answer any questions you may have during this free course. If you decide that you enjoy programming and want to apply, you will have a few different interviews before you are admitted into the program. There are numerous options for financing your education. Once you are admitted and have all of the logistics taken care of, you will be assigned pre-work prior to the course. You will have opportunities to meet your instructors, coaches, and fellow cohort mates in the pre-work office hours sessions leading up to the first day of the bootcamp.

While a student in the bootcamp, you will have 5 different learning phases. After each phase, you will have a coding assessment, a blog, and a group or solo project. Throughout the entire duration of the program, you will have instructors and coaches available to answer any questions you may have, and to help guide and mentor you through the challenges of the day.

You will have many opportunities for pair programming with fellow students. You will have the opportunity to attend numerous community events, where you can hear from recent graduates about their experiences with finding a job in the industry. You will have the opportunity to learn from students in other cohorts, and community events geared towards building connections across campus. After every phase, you will complete a survey where you can give your honest feedback about how to improve the curriculum and overall experience. The campus team truly goes through all the feedback and actively seeks to improve the experience for all students. It is a very inclusive and safe environment, and Flatiron takes pride in their company values.

As a graduate, you are placed in the hands of the career services team, where you will have a dedicated career coach to help you reach your job search goals and get you your first software engineering job. You will also have a separate section of the curriculum dedicated to polishing your resume, job search etiquette, and technical and behavioral interview questions. I can confidently say that Flatiron School is well worth every penny, and I would recommend them wholeheartedly to anyone hoping to make a transition into a career in tech.

• Mariamol James  User Photo
    Mariamol James • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Attending bootcamp gave me guidance and direction when I was trying to resume my career after a gap. Flatiron has great instructors and their lectures were awesome. Coding challenges and projects helped reinforce the concepts. Career services supported in building resume and tackling interviews. Within 90 days after starting job search , I could land a job as Software Development Engineer II Intern at Audible. i would highly recommend Flatiron to aspiring software engineers.
  • Bobby W.  User Photo
    Bobby W. • Consultant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the 15 week Data Science immersive course. The entire program was online due to COVID but I really enjoyed all aspects of the course. The skills and tools I learned helped me land a job within a month after graduating. I definitely recommend this program as a jumpstart on a new career. Instructors, coaches, and all support staff were extremely helpful and the career services support was great!
  • Lili R  User Photo
    Lili R • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had the honor of having amazing instructors throughout my time at Flatiron. They were interactive and made sure we understood the material before moving forward. My instructors and coach went above and beyond to provide us with resources to help us better understand the material and learn beyond the curriculum. They were all approachable and were my biggest cheerleaders when I had self-doubt. They were always willing to help out when we had problems and never told us the answer but rather further cultivated our problem-solving skills and guided us toward potential answers.
    My only feedback would be with some of the labs in the curriculum. Some lessons we read were confusing so I think it would be good to update the online curriculum more consistently. They also recently added some Data Structures and Algorithms material for additional reading, but I think it would have helped more learning some of it during the bootcamp instead of learning stuff like Sinatra or doing group discussions for example.
    I'm also thankful for the Career Services team at Flatiron. A lot of the interviews I have gotten are thanks to their efforts. I think they do a good job of establishing relationships with companies. My career coach is also amazing. I have weekly meetings with her to see where I'm at in the job search process and how I can improve my process.
    Overall I am grateful for the experience and grateful for my instructors and the Career Services/Career Coach.
  • Matthew Sedlacek  User Photo
    Matthew Sedlacek • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I cannot say enough great things about my Flatiron experience. The instructors and staff at Flatiron are top-notch and genuinely care about the success of their students. The curriculum consists of 5 mods (Ruby, Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, React, and a Final Project). Each mod teaches very relevant skills in the Software Engineering industry. Moreover, in my job search, I found many opportunities where my new skills were often in the required or preferred skills section of job descriptions. Being a Flatiron student requires dedication and hard work, but I promise it’s absolutely worth it! Flatiron also has adapted to virtual learning exceptionally well and creates a strong community among cohorts. I developed strong connections to my cohort mates and have worked with many of them on projects post-graduation. Speaking of post-graduation, Flatiron offers individualized weekly career counseling that has been invaluable during my job search.

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here