flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Colorado Springs, Denver, New York City, Online

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, cybersecurity, and product design (UX/UI design). Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers by providing a robust career services framework and dedicated one-on-one coaching post graduation that is included as an added value with the tuition.

The application process asks prospective students to share a bit about themselves and what is driving them to start a career. The process includes speaking with an Admissions representative in a non-technical interview to allow for the opportunity to get to know each other better in a friendly conversation. Applicants will also need to complete a 15-minute critical thinking and problem-solving assessment afterwards. Applicants will receive an acceptance decision from Admissions within 4 business days of completing the assessment.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to an extensive employer network to help students launch fulfilling careers in tech after graduation.

Flatiron School powers the Access Scholarship which invested $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all of Flatiron School’s campuses and online courses in 2020. The Access Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education. To build a more diverse and inclusive tech community, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry and a pioneer in providing 3rd party examined job placement reports. Read their full independently-examined jobs reports at: https://flatironschool.com/jobs-reports/

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.53

all (545) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (180) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Engineering

LocationColorado Springs, Denver, New York City, Online
    Our Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    DepositYes
    We’ve partnered with Ascent and Climb, two well-known financing companies, to give all eligible students the option to pay for courses with monthly payments for up to 36 months with Skills Fund, and 42 months with Climb.
    Tuition PlansLive: Upfront, Pay with a Loan Flex: Pay Upfront, Pay with a Loan, Pay installments For more visit https://flatironschool.com/tuition-financing/?utm_source=coursereport&utm_campaign=tuitioninfo&utm_medium=affiliate
    ScholarshipScholarships available for those who quality contact for more information https://flatironschool.com/scholarships/diversity-initiatives/?utm_source=coursereport&utm_medium=affilaite
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science

LocationDenver, New York City, Online
    The Data Science course provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required.
  • Product Design (UX/UI Design)

Design
    LocationDenver, New York City, Online
    Flatiron School’s Product Design course takes a modern approach to teaching digital design - one which is frequently validated by hiring managers and that will leave students fully prepared to pursue a variety of career paths, including UX Designer, UI Designer, Product Designer, or Full Stack Developer. Flatiron School’s Product Design course focuses on designing digital products, such as websites or mobile applications. Flatiron School course is crafted so anyone and everyone can be successful, regardless of skill level, artistic background, or coding knowledge. The course starts with ethical and inclusive design principles then progresses through UX and UI concepts, which includes instruction on cutting-edge tools like Figma. Students will end the course with a portfolio of project work intended to catch the eye of hiring managers. Flatiron School Product Design students rave about the structure, support, and camaraderie throughout the course.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous product design experience is required.
  • Software Engineering

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, Rails, React.js, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL, AngularJS, Algorithms, Git, GitHub, jQuery
    LocationDenver, New York City, Online
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. Students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required.
  • Flatiron School
    - 1/13/2017
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated from Flatiron in 2015, and have been working as a developer since then. The curriculum and caliber of the teachers was amazing - I can't speak highly enough about how great the learning experience was. I've programmed professionally in 6 languages since graduating so I really appreciate that the curriculum focused on programming fundamentals instead of a week here and there on whatever the hot technology of the time is.

My biggest gripe was that I don't live near NYC, so the career team wasn't as much of an asset to me as I had hoped. I did get a job reasonably quickly with their help, but for less money than I had expected. I'm still giving the career team 4/5 stars because I think they did everything they could, and it was more a matter of my expectations being out of line based on advertisements and so forth. That first job was a wonderful job working on really cool projects, and I enjoyed every day of it. After being in the industry for a while I had no problem switching to a different job at a market rate.

I attended Flatiron's web development course in the winter of 2016, and landed my first professional engineering gig a little over a month after graduation. At Flatiron, you are getting a lot more than 3 months of web development instruction. The network of friends and colleagues that directly resulted from my time there has been invaluable in every sense of the word ever since, and I draw on my Flatiron experience daily to inform my career decisions and make myself a better programmer. My head instructor was essentially a complete rock star (we lucked out in that sense, but all of the head instructors at Flatiron are excellent) and he was supported by two stellar TA's. In addition to the lectures and one-on-one guidance that the faculty provides, your actual coursework is the best possible simulacrum of real-world development work that you could hope for. Languages are learned through the completion of test-driven labs, and your work is deployed using git, setting you up to use best practices as soon as you get that first job. I will say that the course is not for everyone, and you have to be absolutely dedicated to the at times very difficult work. The hours are long as well, but enjoyable if you are there because you want to be there. Definitely the best boot camp in New York, and probably the country.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

13 weeks of hard work that paid off in literally 10 days. I landed a job as a software engineer at 10k above the average.
    The classes are challenging, exhausting and a serious amount of fun.
    The Flatiron community is one of the best I have ever been a part of.
    The support in the job hunt is unparalleled.
    Complete the pre-work to decide if programming is for you, but the cost and the work are absolutely worth it if you can put in the 12 weeks.
    It has paid off immensely and put me on a career path I enjoy instead of one I dread.

If you are looking to switch careers and have a passion for coding and problem solving, this is a great option. I went here in 2016 and it was intense, as advertized. But it was really impressive: after even a couple weeks of the course, I was already able to put together pretty decent web applications. About half the course is focused on Ruby and Rails, and about half on JavaScript.

They do a great job of constructing cohorts with a wide range of backgrounds. Everyone got along well and worked hard to learn and produce great applications. I'm still in the job-search process (a month out and interrupted by the holidays), so I can't comment too much on that, but the career services folks have been very supportive so far.

• Anonymous • CEO • Graduate

I took this course in 2015 and it was such a great experience for me. I am an entrepreneur and did not take the course to become a developer. My goal was to learn how to make a MVP on my own and I succeeded it. Right after finishing the course, I self-learned Swift on my own and made a full functional iOS MVP with rails. I could even setup my server using Docker. A friend of my asked me if I knew any school that teaches Python but I recommended Flatiron school based on my actual experience. Some people complain about things no matter how hard the school tries their best. At the end of the day, you are the one who learns. You should not over-depend on the school. But if you try hard enough to learn coding at Flatiron school, they will give you what they promise.

• Anonymous • Developer • Graduate

I was a twenty-something female liberal arts major struggling to make something of myself in publishing. After dabbling in web design for years without making any real progress, I finally decided to take the leap and turn my hobby into my career by applying to and attending the in-person web immersive program at the Flatiron School in the fall of 2015.

It was easily the best decision I've ever made. The Flatiron School doesn't just teach you how to code; they teach you how to think like a programmer and to love every second of it. The instructors are passionate and truly care about outcomes. It's easy to see that they go above and beyond to help students out, throughout the program and even during the job search.

The curriculum is probably the best I've seen online, and I went through a bunch of free programs before I decided to enroll at Flatiron. What I like most about Learn is that it doesn't hold your hand through everything; it challenges you and teaches you how to struggle because that's what life is like as a developer, just a series of problems that you need to figure out how to solve.

What I also loved was the collaborative and supportive community at Flatiron. There was a good male/female ratio, and nearly everyone in the class was friendly and nice. During my time there, I made some great friends with whom I'm still in regular contact. When I was considering other bootcamps, it was the community at Flatiron that really sold me. They also do a lot of community-building events and activities, which breaks up the day and reminds you to be a human, even as you're furiously trying to solve labs.

Within two months of graduating, I was employed as a junior software developer. The career services team was there to support me throughout my search and they helped me get the best results for me, including helping me negotiate salary and accept and decline offers.

I will also add that this is a tough program. When you go to Flatiron, expect to learn at a breakneck pace and to challenge yourself beyond what you ever thought was possible. It's an enormous sacrifice for three months, and you will not do well unless you commit 110%. That means working probably 12 hours a day, every day, over weekends. For me, it was totally worth it. A few alumni I've spoken with have told me that Flatiron saved their lives. Now, a year later, I can say with confidence that I feel the same way.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Flatiron School's web development program in the earlier days. I was able to learn Ruby on Rails and adopt a modern, open source / iterative approach to software development. The program was a lot of work, but working on projects with classmates was a huge eye opener. Self study doesn't prepare you for git conflicts, work prioritization discussions, and other aspects of working in a team. The course was definitely something where people got as much or as little as they put into it. If you didn't work hard on learning & understanding different concepts, you were the only one impacted by understanding less.

Job placement is a tricky subject, since every student's interview process was different. I was able to get a fulltime software position through the school, but I felt that looking for job opportunities was on my shoulders (and would have liked more help from the school).

I would recommend Flatiron School as a starting point for your programming education. It provides decent handholding to get up and running, but as with any 3 month course, there is not that much room for deep depth in any particular subject.

• Changed My Life
    - 12/18/2016
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I attended Flatiron School in the Fall of 2013 with zero prior technical experience. The three months I spent there were without question the most intellectually productive of my life. To be successful, you need to work hard and challenge yourself - this isn't about a diploma or graduation - what you put into the program is exactly what you'll get out of it. The school does a great job of setting you up for success, with excellent curriculum and interview training. Give it your all, and you'll see the outcomes you want.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

The bootcamp was the best I could have hoped for. Helped me transition into software development career in no time. Completed the program, had an offer within a month and started working within two. A year before enrolling in Flatiron, I would have never imaged that I'd be doing what I'm doing now. But about the program, what separates Flatiron from other is the Learn.co platform. By the end of the course you would have done over 150 labs in getting concepts across. To me this more hands on approach is much better than lots of reading, day long lectures or even online videos. Having others around you working towards the same goal is an amazing experience and you learn from each other.

Pros:
    - Lots of hands on training through labs.
    - Friendly and always willing to help instructors.
    - Team projects that help you learn to work with others and learn from them as well.
    - Job placement assistance.
    -  Amazing community.
    -  Free coffee/tea!

Final note - Bootcamps aren't magic. You don't go in and just come out automatically with a job. You get what you put into it. Putting in the minimum, just coming in at 9am leaving at 6pm and not studying over the weekends you'll get the minimum results.

• Anonymous • Junior Web Developer • Student

I attended the Flatiron school in the fall of 2015 and can wholeheartedly recommend the program. I had been interested in a career in web development for several years at that point but despite taking night classes in Computer Science at a local college and trying various online coding programs (such as codeacademy) I was still struggling to make the transition into a new career and unsure of how to continue fitting all these additional courses around my busy work hours. I eventually applied to the Flatiron School for the full time web development bootcamp. For me, the ability to learn how to code with in person teachers and with the support of students going through the same program was invaluable. Its always heard to gain the amount of knowledge needed for beginning a career as a programmer in such a short amount of time but I feel that the Flatiron School balanced teaching the essentials to help us establish a solid foundation, as well as gave me the tools to continue learning and growing as a developer in my first job out of the program. Additionally, thanks to the career placements program and the final week of interviews I was hired fairly quickly after graduation in a job I love and am still working in today. I can enthusiastically recommend this program to anyone who is looking to change careers into web development.

• Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

Flatiron School completely changed my life- in less than a year I went from nothing to employed developer. I didn't have any technical background but had tried a bunch of online courses and moocs before joining. They were good but never helped me put it together. The learning experience on Learn was amazing - it finally halped me put everything together. The community was also incredible- interacting with other students made learning a lot more fun.

The best part was definitely the staff. The instructors are amazing and the career services team is incredible- I'm not sure I would have gotten a job without their support.

• AMAZING
    - 12/8/2016
    Anonymous • Lead Ad Developer • Graduate

Flatiron School changed my life. Literally. I am a graduate of the second semester of students from the Flatiron School. Prior to my semester I had absolutely ZERO technical background. I graduated from a liberal arts college and was an English Literature major and a French Literature minor. I love to read and write and play sports and do other creative work (like bake and do crafts projects). I dove into coding because I wanted to be able to work for an online blog or magazine from an editorial capacity, and have more on my resume than just being able to write content.

I felt so supported during my time at Flatiron School, and in the years since I've graduated. I went from not knowing what terminal was, to building full scale Ruby on Rails apps in just three months. I made friends that I will have for the rest of my life, and I learned a skill that made me desirable a desirable candidate in the workplace.

When I graduated from Flatiron School, I spent six weeks interviewing. I went through up to four rounds of interviews with companies, but ended up with more than one offer, and the ability to negociate the terms of my employment. Flatiron offered me resume help, technical interview support and training, as well general support and introductions to companies to set up my interviews. The read and reviewed every single email I sent to every single company. The team at Flatiron was that invested in my future.

In the years since graduating, Flatiron has continued to help me navigate the job market, from advice on negociating salaries to continued introductions to companies beyond just my first job. In fact, it was because of Flatiron that I was able to interview for my current position as Lead Ad Developer at New York Magazine.

It is crazy to feel so emotionally tied to a company, but without Flatiron, I literally don't know what I would be doing with my life.

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here