Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and UX/UI Design in NYC, Brooklyn, Washington DC, London, Houston, Atlanta, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, data scientists, and UX/UI designers through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists. Flatiron School’s UX/UI Design Immersive includes a client project to give students client-facing experience and an industry-vetted portfolio.
To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including Coding Bootcamp Prep and Data Science Bootcamp Prep.
Flatiron School offers a money-back guarantee for their Software Engineering, Data Science, and UX/UI Design Immersives – if students don’t get a qualifying job offer within six months of graduation, they can get their money back (see eligibility at flatironschool.com/terms). Flatiron’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and employer introductions to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.
Flatiron School, in partnership with WeWork, also powers the Access Labs Initiative – a 15-week immersive software engineering program in Brooklyn with deferred tuition for applicants earning less than $35,000. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.
Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 99% employment rate for the NYC Software Engineering Immersive, and 94% employment rate for the Online Software Engineering Immersive with annual independently-verified jobs reports (check out the full report at flatironschool.com/outcomes).
Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.75
Recent Flatiron School News
- Should You Learn Object-Oriented Programming at Coding Bootcamp?
- From Athletic Trainer to Software Coach with Flatiron School
- The Best Programming Language to Learn at Coding Bootcamp
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week15 Weeks
Deposit No upfront tuition or deposit. Tuition Plans Open only to applicants earning less than $35,000 annually, all Access Labs students enroll with full deferred tuition. Once you have a qualifying job, pay 10% of your income in monthly installments until the full $17,000 tuition is paid. Refund / Guarantee If the full Career Services Commitment (https://www.accesslabs.org/career-services-commitment) is completed and a Qualifying Job Offer is not received by the student within 6 months, the tuition balance will be waived. Scholarship Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about available scholarship opportunities.
Minimum Skill Level No previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course to prepare for their technical review. Placement Test No Interview Yes Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $15,000 Class size 20 Location Washington, New York City, LondonOver 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
Deposit Yes Financing Tuition Plans Tuition varies by campus location: London: £12,500, NYC $17,000, DC $15,000 Refund / Guarantee Flatiron School’s Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we’ll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms) Scholarship Contact email@example.com to learn about current opportunities
Minimum Skill Level No previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required. Prep Work Yes Placement Test No Interview Yes
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week15 Weeks
Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $15,000 Class size 20 Location Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Washington, San Francisco, New York City, London, SeattleThe Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
Deposit Yes Financing Tuition Plans Tuition varies by campus location: NYC and SF: $17,000; Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Seattle: $15,000; London: £12,500 Refund / Guarantee Yes. Flatiron Scholarship Visit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
Minimum Skill Level No previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course. Prep Work Yes Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $15,000 Class size N/A Location OnlineWith more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. All students in our Online Data Science Immersive receive a one-year WeWork hot desk membership included in their tuition, enabling them to connect and network with other learners in their city. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
Deposit N/A Financing Tuition Plans Tuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000 Self-Paced Course: $9,600 Refund / Guarantee Flatiron School's Online Data Science Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms) Scholarship Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about current opportunities.
Minimum Skill Level No previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course. Prep Work Yes Placement Test No Interview Yes
In PersonPart Time
Deposit N/A Financing Tuition Plans Tuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000; Part-Time Course: $15,000; Self-Paced Course: $9,600 Refund / Guarantee Flatiron School's Online Software Engineering Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms) Scholarship Contact email@example.com to learn about current opportunities.
Minimum Skill Level No previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course. Prep Work Yes Placement Test No Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost $15,000 Class size N/A Location OnlineLearn the visual, technical, and client service skills essential to launch a successful career as a UX or UI designer. Flatiron School’s online course combines an industry-leading digital design program with dedicated Career Services support. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
Deposit N/A Financing Tuition Plans $15,000 for Full-Time and Part-Time course pace options Refund / Guarantee Flatiron School's Online UX/UI Design course includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms) Scholarship Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about current opportunities.
Minimum Skill Level No previous design experience is required. Prep Work No. Placement Test No Interview Yes
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week15 Weeks
Deposit Yes Financing Tuition Plans Tuition varies by campus location: NYC and SF: $17,000 Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000 London: £10,000 Refund / Guarantee Flatiron School's Software Engineering Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms) Scholarship Contact email@example.com to learn about current opportunities.
Minimum Skill Level No previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course. Prep Work Yes Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
- User Experience Design
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week24 Weeks
Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $17,000 Class size 24 Location San Francisco, New York City, London, Seattle, AustinPowered by Designation, this course combines the world’s leading digital design program with Flatiron School’s best-in-class Career Services team and money-back guarantee (see eligibility details at flatironschool.com/terms). Students learn skills in user experience and user interface design and then practice those skills in a professional, client-based environment. Broken into two 12-week phases – this hybrid learning model allows students to study online for the first 12 weeks, and then join in person for team-based design and live client projects. Students learn quickly that design itself isn’t only about doing or creating; it’s always about learning— about users, clients, teammates, practices, tools, skills, and yourself.
Deposit Yes Financing Tuition Plans Tuition varies by campus location: NYC: $17,000; London: £12,500 Refund / Guarantee Flatiron School's UX/UI Design Immersive includes a money-back guarantee: get a job offer within six months of graduation, or we'll refund your full tuition. (See eligibility terms at flatironschool.com/terms) Scholarship Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about current opportunities.
Minimum Skill Level N/A Prep Work Before beginning the full time course, all students complete Design Essentials - a six-week online course covering the foundations of UX research, UX design, interaction design, visual design, UI design, and user testing. Placement Test No Interview Yes
Flatiron School Reviews
417 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
- Best Decision I Ever Made- 4/21/2018Erica Li • Software Engineer • Student • Course: Immersive Software Engineering Bootcamp • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedIn
Flatiron provided me with the opportunity to change careers from marketer to engineers. The curriculum is well structured and the instructiors are patient, kind, and extremely knowledgeable. Most importantly, Flatiron's student body and culture is one of a kind. Over the course of 15 weeks, I became close friends with all the students in my cohort and I will cherish these relationships for the rest of my life. The career services team is also extremely dedicated to student success and my coach cheered for me during the job search. I found a job as a full-time software engineer 1.5 months after graduation and I couldn't be happier in my new role. Thank you Flatiron!
- Bootcamp prep course is the real deal- 4/16/2018Jesse Billard • Applicant • Course: Access Labs Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: New York City • Verified via GitHub
The Flatiron bootcamp prep course and the entire Learn environment, are flat-out incredible.
Truthfully, by all regards I’m a proper programming noob. I cannot speak as an expert, but can speak of my experience. My coding pursuit began a few months ago with Codecademy and Team Treehouse, which were wonderful places to get started. But if they gave me my first bike, then the Flatiron bootcamp prep course gave me the confidence to tear the training wheels off and start balancing and steering down the metaphoric code road on my own.
It’s not that Flatiron has secret information that others do not. It’s how they comprehensively impart the information in the lessons and then drop you into labs where you have to code your way out of situations. It challenges you to independently apply the information you’ve been learning. This deepens the retention of information and develops your creative problem solving.
The overall structure also has an amazing gradation. The successive lessons and labs continue to increase in difficulty, while also maintaining obtainability. It’s the right blend of giving you enough information, but not all information. This means you’ll inevitably hit a wall and be forced to google something, which helps sharpen your phrasing and ability to describe what it is you want to do. This practice is so important to develop for a beginner. For me, banging my head against a wall isn’t entirely fun, but the process of breaking through the wall and getting to the other side, is how you really start learning and experiencing genuine accomplishment.
The Learn site/Learn IDE, is where most folks work on the bootcamp prep course. In addition to having a terrific interface, where the Learn environment excels most is in its “ask community”. Pose a question and you’ve a near immediate response from a technical coach. The speediness of the response is only surpassed by the quality of help you receive. They’ll dive right into whatever’s vexing you, analyzing code snippets and providing insights, but never just capitulating to your learning pains and tossing up a solution on a silver platter. They will see to it that it’s you who arrives at the solution, with an understanding of how you got there. You can also get teamed up with a technical coach on a screen-share and have a true one on one session. This side of the bootcamp prep course is invaluable and truly sets it apart from other online coding courses.
They’ve poured so much into making this an exceptional learning experience, so the fact that it’s free is simply mind boggling.
I loved the Online Bootcamp Prep course. I had done some previous self teaching before I decided to apply to Flatiron full immersive bootcamp. I started the Bootcamp Prep and soon realized that I wasn't anywhere near ready for the acceptance interview. After going through the course I truly felt ready for the interview and comfortable enough to start an all immersive bootcamp. I went through the interview process and got accepted. Everything that was covered in the technical interview was part of the bootcamp prep so I think it's a must if you want to pass the interview.
The curriculum and learning process were great. Super easy to navigate and very clear and to-the-point content. Keeping track of your progress was easy and the learning and streak meter made it very motivational. They even have their own IDE so everything is set up for you... all you need to do is write your code and submit to your github account with a click of a button.
But the best part in my opinion was the help I received. If I got stuck I would ask a question and someone got on the chat platform within minutes. They won't just give you the answer but patiantly ask you questions until you figure it out yourself. Super helpful.
I will be leaving another review once I've gone through the all immersive bootcamp.
- Great experience- 4/9/2018Adam Friedl • Graduate • Course: Online Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
Attending Flatiron was an excellent decision — I wish I'd done it sooner. I was an early student in their online software developer program and was consistenly impressed by the curriculum, the platform, and the teachers. I continued working full-time in my former career while completing the program. Everyone there, and especially Career Services, was great about supporting me to make that do-able.
- Will Ley • Student • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHub
I cannot stress enough how wonderful the Online Bootcamp Prep is. I was a full time high school teacher while I was taking the course and I found the pacing and scope of the lessons to be perfect. I could sit down and work on one or two lessons in the brief time I had and could complete them. These constant steps gave the course a sense of natural progression and gave me a sense of accomplishment every time I sat down to work. That’s not to say I didn’t encounter tough concepts or pieces that I had to take time to puzzle out, it simply means that I felt as though I was always moving forward in my learning.
The online support is perhaps the best I’ve encountered. When I’d hit something I just couldn’t sort out, the folks at Flatiron where there. Most of my questions where responded to by someone working with Flatiron within a couple of minutes and I often had others participating in the program reach out too. At peak time (2:30 pm EST) I had to wait about 3-4 minutes between responses and even then the person who was helping me was patient, wasn’t rushing me off, and let me work through and explain both my challenge and ‘talk out’ the guided solution so that I felt I fully understood the problem. As a learner, that is invaluable to me and I feel one of the greatest strengths of the program.
I would highly recommend this program for someone who is exploring coding as a career change, or someone who is curious about Flatiron and how they work differently than other coding bootcamp programs.
- Amazing online learning platform- 3/30/2018Munir Kizilcali • Student • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHub
- Pam • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Online Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
I took the Fullstack Web Development online course and it was an absolutely amazing experience. The Flatiron School is completely devoted to its students and wants them all to succeed. They are passionate about web devlopment which makes it easy for the students to be passionate as well. They create an open community to ease students' struggles, as the coursework can be very challenging (in a good way - key to learning). The Slack channels and Learn chat are great ways to connect with other students. And the on-demand Ask A Question feature allows students to gain clarity on labs and concepts and establish fundamentals for the future. No student should ever feel alone in the process.
Although I had a background in engineering and some minor coding, commiting to the course was a career change. The coursework is hard but almost addicting. I was working full time while taking the course and I would look forward to getting home from work just so I could keep going with the lessons and labs. The coursework is also totally useful outside of school. I have had to apply my acquired skills in almost every interview since graduation.
In addition, the career services are unreal. I would have never gotten through the job search without my career coach. My coach was definitely a professional whose advice I completely trusted. She was extremely reliable and patient. Ultimately, it was the work with my career coach and a recruitment fair held on the Flatiron campus that lead to me getting hired.
- Great Online Web Developer Program- 3/26/2018Ricardo Colon Medina • Project Manager/Freelance Web Developer • Graduate • Course: Online Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
I'm a relatively recent graduate from Flatiron's Web Developer Program and I have pretty much nothing but good things to say about it.
The school and program came highly recommended from a few friends-of-friends, so I decided to give it a shot.
The admissions process was great as well, because you really got a feel that they care about who they let into the program, which indicates, to me, that the school is at least as concerned with outcomes as they are with making money (though I'd honestly say that they're more concerned with outcomes than with their bottom line).
The curriculum itself is good. I wouldn't say that it's 100% fault-proof or will magically make you grasp every single concept that would fall under the umbrella of web development right off the bat, but you should understand that you're also getting a really good support team who is available to answer any questions about the curriculum; a sense of community with other students, some of whom can also answer your questions and help you reason about certain concepts; live online lectures and workshops led by knowledgable instructors (most of whom are past Flatiron graduates); and a solid career services track when you graduate.
The bottom line is that Flatiron cares about you as a student, and if you put in as much effort as they do, you'll graduate knowing everything you need to know to carve out a career for yourself.
I also have a tangential comment about Flatiron's model for online teaching: I truly believe that its an awesome window into the future of remote education and am pretty interested to see how it develops and influences other programs.
- Great Prerequisite Course- 3/1/2018John • Applicant • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedIn
I haven't yet attended the Flatiron School but I have been to their study groups and I've been taking their prerequisite course and I am very impressed. They offer you so many great resources before you even go to the school! I feel like the prerequisite course is slow enough that I don't feel overwhelmed but also challenging enough that I sometimes have to dive a little deeper into topics on my own to really get it. The good part is that they usually provide the reading in those sections. Anytime I have a big enough problem, I ask a question, and there is always someone there to answer promptly. Sometimes even going to the extent of sharing screens to figure it out.
Every interaction I have had with the school so far has been very professional and also very warm and friendly. This school is my first choice, and if I get accepted I will be sure to write another review about that experience.
- Justin Manalad • Data Engineer/Devops • Graduate • Course: Immersive Software Engineering Bootcamp • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedInThe most valuable piece of Flatiron to me was the career services. It is through the job fair that I got my first development position. The instruction is also top notch, with people who are passionate about coding and technology. The only reason I docked the curriculum is that the learn platform can have some issues. Otherwise, the structure and pace of the curriculum itself is wonderful.
- Challenging, Fast, Perfect- 2/16/2018Yamini • Solutions Engineer • Graduate • Course: Immersive Software Engineering Bootcamp • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedIn
I attended Flatiron School's Software Engineering Immersive Program from July to October 2017 and recently began a job as a Solutions Engineer for a late stage startup.
Flatiron's immersive program and post-grad job assistance via the business development and career coaching team definitely exceeded my expectations. The course materials, instructors, student engagement and job search prep were all fantastic. The instructors were always intelligent, dedicated, and helpful. While there was sometimes more material that we could handle (which was ultimately great since we could go back and review with new material) and the projects at the end of each module could have had more time allocated to them, the speed of the course and amount of material was to be expected. More than anything, Flatiron taught me how to think like a programmer and understand the workflow associated with working on a web application. This includes, but is not limited to, how we come up with a project idea (both independently and with group mates), how we research and implement specific tools relevant to our projects, and how we debug and error handle. This process is CRUCIAL when approaching the final project we completed during our time at Flatiron and extends far beyond it.
The way the course itself is structured is key. Technologies and frameworks build on top of each other and supplement different aspects of the process of creating a web app. By the time one three week module was done and the first week of the next module began, we were able to start piecing together how each language or technology or framework fit into making an app. Once I graduated Flatiron and was job hunting, I was easily able to pick up new languages and frameworks that were necessary in different technical interviews and personal projects. The excitement and process by which to go about learning something new was definitely taught to me by Flatiron.
With regard to job hunting, I was able to access all of the various course material that Flatiron offers. Most important was the Computer Science lessons. A lot of technical interviews require common CS knowledge (recursion, BSTs, algorithms) - this was something that was not really focused on during the immersive course and something that there was not much material for post-grad but luckily I had access to Interviewcake. Aside from this, my Flatiron career coach and the entire business development were super amazing throughout the three months that I was job hunting. I would receive, on average, 4-5 leads from business development per month. They also have career fairs 3-4x a year which allows for rapid fire interviewing with NYC based companies. In any case, the job I am currently working at was directed to me from a Flatiron business development person. Throughout the 1.5 month interviewing process for this company, the team member on business development and my career coach were excellent resources to bounce ideas off of, help me prep for cultural interviews, and give me any updates or feedback.
Overall, I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in working in tech as a developer, engineer, product manager, etc. It definitely helped me redefine my career trajectory but more so, taught me how to continually learn about technology. It is a challenging course and not everyone fare wells during it but if you’re determined and know how to improve, this is definitely a life changing program.
- Well worth the money and time- 2/16/2018Ben Greenberg • Full Stack Developer • Graduate • Course: Online Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
I'm a student about to start at Flatiron. I went through the Boot Camp Prep course leading up to my application. Compared to other online guided learning tools to get started coding (and learn if you truly enjoy it), this is far and away the best I've used. In terms of quality and density of content, frictionless presentation, authenticity to real-world workflow (through the use of a real IDE and git), and help when you need it (you can ask questions and help others at every step using a chat that has code snippet pasting, and there are friendly, knowledgeable Technical Coaches watching the chats as well.
If you're interested in Flatiron this is a great way to begin learning about the school. They've iterated on their online learning platform for a long time with great results and recently built the entire IDE into the browser. That alone is worth checking out.
The Prep Course is definitely worth investing the time.
- Anybody can learn- 1/19/2018Jason Lim • Applicant • Course: Community-Powered Bootcamp • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHub
I started the bootcamp prep course with no previous knowledge of coding but the course easily lends itself even to complete beginners. You will be surprised how much you can learn and the change in perspective. If you get stuck it's great that you can always ask the community and instructors for some guidance. The course is worth a try even if you have a small interest and want to be moved to the next step.
- Online Program took me to the next level- 12/20/2017Denise • Graduate • Course: Online Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHub
Prior to this program I had many many BAD interviewing experiences because I was not prepared for interviews. However, about 75% through completion I took an interview for a Full Stack Program and got the job! I felt very prepared for the technical interviews because of the curriculum and hard work I had put in.
The online program will take hard work and lots of commitment but it is worth it!
- Bootcamp Prep Review- 12/5/2017Travis • Applicant • Course: Immersive Software Engineering Bootcamp • Campus: New York City • Verified via GitHub
i would recommend the bootcamp prep course to any novice looking to learn code. As a novice myself, i feel much more comfortable with key concepts of coding and i also developed a basis on how to think about writing code. The support system is A+. When ever i came acorss a problem there was an instructor available to help guide met to the solution.
- Great online program- 11/29/2017Tadzio Smith • Graduate • Course: Online Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
I went through the online program last year and actually got a job even before finishing it. The whole culture of Flatiron is about integrety and results. They not only teach you how to code but how to love coding. As a product manager, upping my coding skills was invaluable. Instructors are passionate and the curriculum is excellent.
- How to tell if you're actually into coding- 11/27/2017Jonathan Mines • Head of Sales and Marketing • Applicant • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
Definitely one of the best online, learn-at-your-own-pace, coding courses I've taken. I did a good deal of codeacademy courses before doing the Bootcamp Prep Course and while they were great for learning coding concepts and syntax, I never felt like I knew what to do to actually launch my own project because all the coding is done on the codeacademy site.
- Christopher Diep • Applicant • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHub
Overall, the Flatiron School's online Bootcamp Prep Course got me into programming like never before. I have been on and off when it comes to programming. I tried Codecademy, Udacity, and another bootcamp's free prep material.
The greatest advantage of their Bootcamp Prep Course is their Ask a Question feature. It summons almost immediate help from their tech coaches or fellow applicants. I also get the opportunity to return the favor. One night, I ended up working with someone else stuck on the same material. We finished it together.
I am now going to start the Flatiron School’s NYC Software Engineering Immersive in January 2018. The Bootcamp Prep gave me a taste of their teaching style and convinced me that I would love to learn code from the Flatiron community.
- Online Program was effective and highly recommended!- 11/22/2017Hannah Jiang • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Online Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
Background: CPA, 10-year tax consultant/accountant, BS Physics & BBA Accounting, Mother of an infant and a toddler, super supportive family.
- 2015-2016 - Thinking about changes and looking for different options
- Jan 2017 - Enrolled at Flatiron online web developer program
- Aug 2017 - Graduated
- Oct 2017 - got an offer
- Nov 2017 - Started the new life as a software developer
- Great curriculum: Study materials are comprehensive and organized in an intuitive way to lead students from entry to complicated concepts.
- Live tutors and study groups: readily available daily. I didn’t utilize those resources much b/c I learn at odd hours like Midnight - 4am and whenever kids are napping.
- Instructors: led study groups and reviewed portfolio projects. they were super knowledgeable and gave constructive reviews and suggestions. I reached out on Slack from time to time to ask about personal career questions and other random questions and always have support.
- Lectures are recorded videos: The videos were fantastic! I watched all of them and learn a lot more than just reading alone.
- Career services were top-notch: Everyone gets a designated coach who will work with you on cover letter, resume, online presences, interview skills, mock interviews, networking tips and more. They have a great network of employers meaning lots of opportunities to get interviews. All of my interviews came from campus recruiting.
- Time & Cost: online course tuition is paid monthly. The faster you learn, the lesser the tuition. I was fortunate to be got a scholarship that paid half of the tuition. (There are scholarships from time to time and make sure to take advantage of it.) My total cost was $4500.
Overall: I highly recommend Flatiron school. It is a great school with very dedicated individuals who are passionate about their missions and skillful at what they do.
Online classes are convenient and cost effective only if you are super motivated and dedicated. Check out the free pre-bootcamp class and see if you like the course materials and learning styles at Flatiron. If you can focus and finish the pre-bootcamp under a month (20-30 hr a week), that's a good indication that you can focus and finish the whole program. And almost all of pre-bootcamp materials are part of the actual curriculum, so it's to your advantage to finish it before you begin the full program, that'll save you time and $$.
Also, note that there wasn't any technical interview to get into the online program. There was only a cultural interview. The entry barrier may look like lower than the regular in-person bootcamp where acceptance rate is in single digit and often requires rigorous technical interviews, however that means you really have to be motivated, otherwise it's easy to slack off once you are in the online program.
I am by no means an expert at anything just because I attended a bootcamp and switched career. I am happy to share my own experiences. Feel free to reach out to me on Linkedin if you want to chat more.
Have fun and enjoy life!
- Great program- 11/19/2017Menachem H • Junior Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Online Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHub
- Peter Kim • Software Developer - Analyst • Graduate • Course: Immersive Software Engineering Bootcamp • Campus: New York City • Verified via GitHubExperience at FlatironIt was hard and overwhelming. It was also encouraging to see other people in the same boat as me. We had all wanted a career change and everyone was determined to do well in school.Basically, what you put into your work is what you'll end up getting out of it. It's easy for someone to go through the 'labs' and make things work but really understanding why it works is all up to you. At times, it felt discouraging seeing other students finishing tasks that were taking a while for me but in the end, since I took more time to try to know what's going on, I feel I got more out of it.The people that were in my cohort were all really great people. They were accepted into the school for a reason - the determination and drive. During the bootcamp, it's an experience that is hard to emulate outside of bootcamp. Everyone feels pressured, everyone feels like they have to be the best, and that's how it should be. People learn through motivation and drive.There are many events that Flatiron hosts or tells you about so that you can engage in the tech community. They also have happy hours every couple of weeks to encourage relationships to grow among the students.Post ExperienceThe career team has helped connect me to companies that are looking for students like those that attend bootcamps. There were times when I was contacted by companies mainly because they have a relationship with flatiron. It's really helpful.BUT, be warned. It's going to take time and it's definitely stressful. When you finish school, you feel ready and want to land a job asap but most of the time, it takes at least a month to 6 months to land your first job. It's all a waiting and interviewing game. During this time, practicing interviewing skills and working on side projects to keep your curiosity up is crucial.TL;DRI had decided on a career switch, went to Flatiron School, worked really hard and made lots of new friends along the way, graduated at end of June, and accepted an offer in October. I don't regret anything and am super excited to dive into a new career.
- Bootcamp prep - A great place to start- 10/23/2017Lindsay Davis • Student • Course: Community-Powered Bootcamp • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
Flatiron School's Bootcamp Prep course was a great place to start for me, as someone new to coding. The course was easy to use and broke down new concepts into manageable pieces, you can easily ask and see questions from other learners if you get stuck, and it provided numerous opportunities to practice developing new skills. I would recommend this as a wonderful place to start learning to code. A few months ago, I knew nothing about coding and now have been accepted into Flatiron School's in-person web development class. On that note, completing the Bootcamp Prep course was a great way to prepare to apply for the Development program, which had an efficient and straight-forward application process.
- Online education done right.- 10/23/2017Yechiel Kalmenson • Graduate • Course: Online Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
Originally, joining Flatiron's Online web-dev course was the second choice for me, I took it because I couldn't afford to take three months off work. In retrospect, I couldn't be happier with my decision.
The curriculum is excellent, the support from the instructors and the community is unparalleled, I can not imagine where I would be today without the support from Flatiron.
For more about my experience feel free to check out these two blog posts I wrote:
Feel free to contact me through my blog with any questions about my experience, I'm always happy to share.
* These outcomes are not audited by Course Report. In some cases, data is audited by a third party.
Flatiron School has an acceptance rate of 8%, of which 85% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduate. 95% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $74,447.
Job Seeking Graduates Placed:
After 120 days
Notes & Caveats:
You can download the reports here!