flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to employer partnerships to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.66

all (479) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (149) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states.
    Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $17,000, DC $15,000
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $20,000, DC $18,000
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC and SF: $17,000; Chicago, Houston, Seattle: $15,000;
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000; Part-Time Course: $15,000; Self-Paced Course: $9,600
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000 NYC and SF: $17,000
  • Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I was a Computer Science major at a very small liberal arts school, so my education was heavy on theory, and light on actual implementation. After graduating, I got a dev job, and quickly realized that my degree hadn't done all that much to prepare me for an actual job. For instance, I was never taught how to use git, or any means of source control! I worked there for a year, not really loving it (spending a lot of time maintaining some very old Java code), before speaking to a friend (fellow CS major, we graduated the same year) who had moved to SF and done Dev Bootcamp. He spoke very highly of it, so I looked into similar programs in NYC, and found Flatiron.

I was worried I'd be wasting my money: after all, I already had a CS degree, how much more was there to learn? But I decided to give it a try, and knew after a week it was the right move. There was a lot left to learn, as it turned out. I had an advantage at the very beginning, when we were doing the basics of Ruby/programming in general, but as soon as we got into SQL, and then ActiveRecord, Sinatra, and Rails, I was pretty much on even footing with my classmates. And I had to work just as hard to keep up.

I think my fellow students were actually the best part of the experience. I don't know how they do it, but Flatiron does a great job selecting for passion: with a handful of exceptions (who dropped out), every single student was just unbelievably committed. Coming in early, staying late, coming in weekends, and creating an atmosphere that somehow pushed everyone to do better, without being overtly competitive.

All in all, it was an excellent experience, and I believe that I picked up more practical (in the sense of day-to-day engineering stuff) knowledge in those 12 weeks than the whole of college. That's not to say Flatiron was better, or more useful, than my CS education, but a really good complement to it.

The only gripes I had were that the lessons didn't always start on schedule, and weren't always fully organized, and we didn't spend enough time on learning about JS (Avi, the cofounder & dean, was/is prejudiced against it, but it's still a critical part of almost every junior developer job). But from what I hear, both of those issues have been smoothed out.

NB: I'd like to reiterate that my particular case is a bit special, since my CS education was so theory-driven. I think CS students from bigger schools, who can take more implementation-heavy classes, would find Flatiron (or other programs) less helpful.

• Anonymous • Lead Designer and Developer • Graduate

As someone who does well with detailed lecture and written informational instruction, the Flatiron School's teaching methodology, structure, and their use of the Learn platform was ideal for my learning. My background was in project management and art history (I have an MA in archaeology and art history) so the detailed prework and information Learn lessons were very helpful for someone so outside the field. Full disclosure: I got into AppAcademy, and Hackbright but was incredibly turned off by the atmosphere and also the sudden jump/intensity into a new realm. Flatiron was one of the only places that gave you a detailed 'textbook' of notes before they expected you to do a coding challenge.

The instructors I had were incredibly kind, very committed and very engaged in my understanding and mastery of the material. I enjoyed that this program was not a "do tons of coding challenges" driven environment and was instead about delving into the understanding behind the code and craft.

While like anything, a student gets what they put out of it- the teaching environment is very very conducive to one growing a love for web development.

In regards to job search, my cohort graduated in an interview dead period - Late October, right before the holiday season and while I had a lot of interviews and meetings almost all of them flaked or didn't get back to me until mid January.  The career coaches are kind, informative, and helpful but they do expect you to be on your game. There is a commitment contract afterward that I very much suggest engaging in to make sure your coding and networking activity is where it should be. They are also very open and honest that 3 months is the typical timeline for a job search. I technically received an offer within 4 weeks of graudation but turned it down and was able to have a frank honest conversation with my career coach for my reasons to turn it down (Despite obviously wanting to 'offload' students, my career coach was very good about not pushing decisions) I received the offer I accepted the first week of February.

- 1/23/2017
    Anonymous • Frontend Developer • Student

Graduated from Flatiron's NYC Web Development program about 3 months ago and it was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made. The educational experience and community was incredibly well put together and effective.

It took me very little time to find a job (although there was plenty of effort on my end for that) and I feel very well equipped in my new work environment from the instruction I received at Flatiron.

I strongly recommend Flatiron to anyone who is considering this type of program or direction in the future.

Going to the Flatiron School was one of the best choices I have ever made. I graduated from their NYC Web Developer program a couple of weeks ago, and ever since then, the Career Services has been super helpful and effective in making sure that I get paid to write professional code. The curriculum covers the latest techniques and the most useful skills which make you as a professional programmer.

• The Right Decision
    - 1/19/2017

Quitting my job to attend Flatiron was a big decision. I did as much research as I could in advance about bootcamps - attending events, speaking to alums and getting opinions from working developers. It seemed that everyone and everything kept pointing back to Flatiron. On Day 1 I was completely overwhelmed, but by Day 5 I was confident that I was doing the right thing. I couldn't believe how smart and personable my colleagues were. Working in different groups was actually enjoyable, even for an introvert like me. The curriculum was challenging, but the instructors always gauged how overwhelmed the class felt and adjusted the speed accordingly. The career services team is incredibly responsive and willing to support in every way, be it proofreading a thank you email or giving you a pre-interview pep talk. This was one of the most positive experiences of my life and I look forward to my new career!

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Student

Pros:

• Highly competent and passionate teaching staff; they really cared about your progress in the class and are experts in their domain
    • Optimal balance between class-level and individualized attention
    • Excellent cirriculum, tailored well for those without coding experience, and paced well for those who breeze through the material as well as who need a little extra help
    • Great culture; students, teachers, and staff are universally kind, smart, and motivated
    • Highly involved job placement - this exceeded my expectations, as the placements team was very high touch and passionate about their mission to help students through the job search

Considerations:

• Tuition ($15K for Web Development in Fall 2015) is non-trivial; one should carefully consider whether they are prepared to incur this cost
    • Culture, not unexpectedly, is somewhat geeky and soft, but is a nice change of pace for those coming from a stricter work environment
  • Flatiron School
    - 1/13/2017
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated from Flatiron in 2015, and have been working as a developer since then. The curriculum and caliber of the teachers was amazing - I can't speak highly enough about how great the learning experience was. I've programmed professionally in 6 languages since graduating so I really appreciate that the curriculum focused on programming fundamentals instead of a week here and there on whatever the hot technology of the time is.

My biggest gripe was that I don't live near NYC, so the career team wasn't as much of an asset to me as I had hoped. I did get a job reasonably quickly with their help, but for less money than I had expected. I'm still giving the career team 4/5 stars because I think they did everything they could, and it was more a matter of my expectations being out of line based on advertisements and so forth. That first job was a wonderful job working on really cool projects, and I enjoyed every day of it. After being in the industry for a while I had no problem switching to a different job at a market rate.

I attended Flatiron's web development course in the winter of 2016, and landed my first professional engineering gig a little over a month after graduation. At Flatiron, you are getting a lot more than 3 months of web development instruction. The network of friends and colleagues that directly resulted from my time there has been invaluable in every sense of the word ever since, and I draw on my Flatiron experience daily to inform my career decisions and make myself a better programmer. My head instructor was essentially a complete rock star (we lucked out in that sense, but all of the head instructors at Flatiron are excellent) and he was supported by two stellar TA's. In addition to the lectures and one-on-one guidance that the faculty provides, your actual coursework is the best possible simulacrum of real-world development work that you could hope for. Languages are learned through the completion of test-driven labs, and your work is deployed using git, setting you up to use best practices as soon as you get that first job. I will say that the course is not for everyone, and you have to be absolutely dedicated to the at times very difficult work. The hours are long as well, but enjoyable if you are there because you want to be there. Definitely the best boot camp in New York, and probably the country.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

13 weeks of hard work that paid off in literally 10 days. I landed a job as a software engineer at 10k above the average.
    The classes are challenging, exhausting and a serious amount of fun.
    The Flatiron community is one of the best I have ever been a part of.
    The support in the job hunt is unparalleled.
    Complete the pre-work to decide if programming is for you, but the cost and the work are absolutely worth it if you can put in the 12 weeks.
    It has paid off immensely and put me on a career path I enjoy instead of one I dread.

If you are looking to switch careers and have a passion for coding and problem solving, this is a great option. I went here in 2016 and it was intense, as advertized. But it was really impressive: after even a couple weeks of the course, I was already able to put together pretty decent web applications. About half the course is focused on Ruby and Rails, and about half on JavaScript.

They do a great job of constructing cohorts with a wide range of backgrounds. Everyone got along well and worked hard to learn and produce great applications. I'm still in the job-search process (a month out and interrupted by the holidays), so I can't comment too much on that, but the career services folks have been very supportive so far.

• Anonymous • CEO • Graduate

I took this course in 2015 and it was such a great experience for me. I am an entrepreneur and did not take the course to become a developer. My goal was to learn how to make a MVP on my own and I succeeded it. Right after finishing the course, I self-learned Swift on my own and made a full functional iOS MVP with rails. I could even setup my server using Docker. A friend of my asked me if I knew any school that teaches Python but I recommended Flatiron school based on my actual experience. Some people complain about things no matter how hard the school tries their best. At the end of the day, you are the one who learns. You should not over-depend on the school. But if you try hard enough to learn coding at Flatiron school, they will give you what they promise.

• Anonymous • Developer • Graduate

I was a twenty-something female liberal arts major struggling to make something of myself in publishing. After dabbling in web design for years without making any real progress, I finally decided to take the leap and turn my hobby into my career by applying to and attending the in-person web immersive program at the Flatiron School in the fall of 2015.

It was easily the best decision I've ever made. The Flatiron School doesn't just teach you how to code; they teach you how to think like a programmer and to love every second of it. The instructors are passionate and truly care about outcomes. It's easy to see that they go above and beyond to help students out, throughout the program and even during the job search.

The curriculum is probably the best I've seen online, and I went through a bunch of free programs before I decided to enroll at Flatiron. What I like most about Learn is that it doesn't hold your hand through everything; it challenges you and teaches you how to struggle because that's what life is like as a developer, just a series of problems that you need to figure out how to solve.

What I also loved was the collaborative and supportive community at Flatiron. There was a good male/female ratio, and nearly everyone in the class was friendly and nice. During my time there, I made some great friends with whom I'm still in regular contact. When I was considering other bootcamps, it was the community at Flatiron that really sold me. They also do a lot of community-building events and activities, which breaks up the day and reminds you to be a human, even as you're furiously trying to solve labs.

Within two months of graduating, I was employed as a junior software developer. The career services team was there to support me throughout my search and they helped me get the best results for me, including helping me negotiate salary and accept and decline offers.

I will also add that this is a tough program. When you go to Flatiron, expect to learn at a breakneck pace and to challenge yourself beyond what you ever thought was possible. It's an enormous sacrifice for three months, and you will not do well unless you commit 110%. That means working probably 12 hours a day, every day, over weekends. For me, it was totally worth it. A few alumni I've spoken with have told me that Flatiron saved their lives. Now, a year later, I can say with confidence that I feel the same way.

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here