flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to employer partnerships to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.65

all (492) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (153) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states.
    Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $18,900
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    Tuition PlansNYC, DC, Houston, Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco - $16,900
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansPart-time and Full-time - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $16,900 Part-Time Course: $16,900 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansAustin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Seattle, DC, NYC, San Francisco - $16,900
  • Tracy • Student

Saw these reviews and thought I'd share as well. I've been in LV for about 4 months, so I feel like I can accurately speak to the program's strengths and weaknesses.

I found out about Learn while I was interviewing with in-person bootcamps in San Francisco. I definitely had a negative bias toward online bootcamps (Bloc and Thinkful in particular), but the Learn platform really impressed me. It was incredibly addictive working through the lessons. The curriculum is a treat- it's timely and funny stuff (Grumpy Cat, Kanye, etc.). I also felt better about the program because they make you complete a ~30 hr Intro to Ruby course before you can even apply. And it's hard. That's a good sign.

Beyond that, the burgeoning community atmosphere online is really nice. It's positive, encouraging and inclusive. People are really trying to help each other succeed.

Oh, also - in general, an online bootcamp fits my learning style better. I can speed through things I already know, like SQL, and spend more time really digging into trouble spots. There are multiple weekly live lectures that you can drop into if you need a review.

Of course, there are the usual problems that one might associate with learning online. This program might not work for you if you aren't good at pacing yourself. Also, the program's hours revolve around the east coast, so if you're on the west coast like I am, you may be out of luck if the “Learn experts” aka TAs have gone for the night. Oh also - Avi is awesome, but the TAs vary in their helpfulness/knowledge level.

Another issue some might have a problem with is the fact that this program is still so new. There are typos, there are bugs. Sometimes the TAs become overwhelmed with questions  so responses take a while. If you don't have a Mac, working through this program may be technically annoying. It’s been an issue for me so much so that I’m considering biting the bullet and switching over as soon as the new Macbook Pro comes out. However, I feel like the LV team has been honest and responsive about these issues so I cut them some slack.

Overall, I'm really happy with my choice to go with this program. It works for me.

• Liz Denhup

I enrolled in the online version of the Flatiron School three months ago as I was looking to transition into a career in full-stack web development. I am currently in the program. In the past three months I have gained a ton of proficiency in programming, and I feel that I am being well-prepared for the job market. The instructors are really helpful, and the people at the Flatiron School do a great job of making the experience immersive. The Flatiron School's online bootcamp is also one of the only bootcamps which offers job placement assistance, which was a big factor in my decision to choose Learn over other bootcamps. I will update this review after I graduate to reflect my experience with placement services. Overall, I think Learn is a great value and that I have learned a lot from the program.

• Awesome
    Marsi M. • Student

Started the Learn Verified program in November with absolutely no coding experience. I like that you can try the free Intro to Ruby course before applying to get an idea of how the program works. It is a very comprehensive curriculum with descriptive lessons and challenging projects and labs.

Since I haven't completed the program yet, I can't speak for the job assistance aspect; however, their jobs report is available to view. From the looks of it, it's very encouraging.

The staff is top notch and available to answer questions and help at any time of the day. You can tell they really care about each and every one of us. What is really awesome is that Avi is so accessible and can break down the most complicated concepts into easy-to-understand pieces. Even though he's the Dean, he takes the time to explain and help us, and it makes you feel like you matter. It's like getting on-the-job training from the CEO.

I love the community and feeling of connection as we all share code and vent our frustrations and cheer each other on from all over the world. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Flatiron School rocks!

Roberto • Student

Note: I am a current student and have not graduated yet. If track record is anything to go by, alumni validation, and judging by my experience so far, I vote 5 stars for job assistance. I will edit by June 2016 if I find otherwise.

For me, choosing a program to get into web dev came down to these factors: credibility, quality, cost. Here is what I found.

Credibility:

The first factor was easy to tackle. If you go to learn.co you can read the jobs report. It’s an independently audited report that contains job placement (99%) and average salary for graduates. I called-up a friend of mine who is an alumni of one of their in-person programs to get more info. She vouched, and gave a great review.

Now take it from me. This is a great program.

One of my former colleagues joined another popular program (without me knowing, or I would have persuaded her otherwise) and is now hoping that she can find a job. I, however know that the school’s reputation is on the line over me. They very publicly advertise their audited placement rates.

Quality:

The curriculum is based on the in-person program. So, not only are the instructors good at coding, the actual material has has proven itself several times (results seen in jobs report). Not just that, but there is material that is not included in the in-person program. You are simply exposed to more content, and one could argue that this will make you a stronger job candidate.

What’s more, I encourage you to actually do the free coursework. It will only cost a little of your time, but you can see what the program is all about and why students are so addicted. Yes, I said addicted.

A note here on quality. The Flatiron School selects students in what I consider a unique fashion. There are people in the program who have tech backgrounds, have worked with big data, or majored in math, and there are artists, writers, comedians, etc. I say this because the curriculum  is extremely accessible. Everyone can get through it, and everyone becomes stronger from it. This is largely due to the content and the format, but also due to the community. At the end of the day, despite their different backgrounds, everyone I have come into contact with loves the program.

Cost/Pace:

You go at your own pace. If you finish in 4 months, good for you. If you finish in 8, fantastic. For the most part people don’t pull out their rulers and start comparing. And why should you? However everyone’s budget is always at the back of their mind.

The team recently launched a second version for $500 instead of $1000 per month. The $500 version is just the Premium version with some support services stripped away. I am glad to be in the Premium version because it suites my needs, and I budgeted for it. However, the basic version students are by no means treated any differently in the community. Honestly most of us don’t know (or care) who is in which plan.

Added bonus: Community

This is a big one. Communities are not perfect. Anywhere. But having been on several on-line learning platforms before, and having worked in education, I can say that the community that is cultured here is very supportive and open. Whether you are outgoing or reserved, you can find a place here. There are virtually no rules to follow though. It just seems to be a product of the people who are admitted, and of course the tone set by the community leaders.

• Best Decision Ever
    Ashley M. • Student

Before coming to Flatiron I had spent 4 years in college to get a degree in Game Design from a school with a less than reputable reputation. After achieving the degree, I was left with no actual programming skills, no job, a ton of debt and no will to get out of bed in the morning. After moping around for a while I stumbled across Flatiron schools learn verified program and it has completely transformed my life. I have gone from knowing the bare bone basics of programming, to being able to develop complex applications and soon I will be ready to start looking into the working world and turn my life around.

The coursework has proved to be challenging but not overly so. It is well written and easily accessible to those who have no background in coding in the beginning. It slowly builds up and things do become more abstract and difficult as time goes on, but still nothing that we can’t handle. The “ask a question” feature is very useful. During typical east coast working hours experts can answer within seconds to help you with your program. Students may also help other students if no experts are available.

The community is real tight knit. We all do the best we can to help each other, after all we are in this together. Every thursday we have something called “Thoughtful Thursday” where we express our feelings as a group. It is really helpful to hear that others are struggling the same as you. Or that someone finally got over that hump and is doing well this week. When someone is really struggling with a program, students also tend to collaborate together using screen sharing as well.

As of right now the Learn program is still very new and ever evolving. The developers and staff are always asking for our feedback and opinions and integrating it within the platform which is a huge plus.

Avi, who is the Dean of Flatiron School will often make time to assist students whenever they need help or offer words of encouragement. His lectures are a huge help to the lessons that are difficult and unlike many other professors there are no stupid questions for Avi. Each question is treated with the same respect and answered thoroughly. During assessments (which we get after every major section) he will often provide positive feedback on what we could do to improve our code and ourselves. He is always very warm and will never yell or belittle you. He really wants to make sure you succeed.

• Anonymous • iOS Engineer • Graduate

Around March of 2015, I was unemployed and lacking any semblance of direction in my life. A friend (an Alum of the Flatiron School) recommended the program and seeing as I had nothing else going on - decided to take the leap for the sake of change.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that I would be taking the first step towards a career where I genuinely love the work that I do and the people that I work with.

From the first day, you will truly understand the word "Immersive." Laying out the foundations of their guiding principles, they set their students up not just as wonderful developers, but people. Nearly every student came from a different background and one of the fundamental principles was the idea of always supporting each other.

The instructors and staff at the Flatiron School do an exceptional job at fostering a true sense of community at the program - and it was so easy to get wrapped up in the culture that you'd find yourself just hanging out sometimes (without coding!). From class outings and workshops - it was never just about the code (and that was 100% intentional).

Post-graduation, there are tons of resources available when you go job-hunting and the staff are always just a Slack message away! Any issues or concerns, no matter how small are overlooked by the staff who are truly there to help - they want you to succeed, and it shows.

If you're expecting to come out as a top-rate professional developer, make no mistake - it's possible, but not likely. BUT, trust me when I say this, you will come out armed with the knowledge to create amazing things and if you take nothing else away from this review - the Flatiron School teaches you how to learn.

I'm currently an iOS Engineer based at a development shop in Brooklyn, and I wake up every morning excited to go to work. Think about that.

• Absolutely amazing
    - 11/9/2015

Perfect in every possible sense. How could I not say it was the best decision of my life considering I completely changed industries and was placed into a higher payng job that I love? If you can get in, you'd be nuts to attend any other coding school. Period.

• :)
    - 11/8/2015
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate
  • Anonymous • Developer • Graduate

I made the leap and quit my job a little over 2 years ago so that I could attend Flatiron School, and it was the best decision I ever made. The instruction was amazing, and the sense of community that was foastered among students created the most incredible learning environment I've ever been a part of. I was placed in a job almost immediately after graduation, and have loved my work ever since.

• Anonymous • Junior Developer • Graduate

I was part of the on campus web development immersive this year and my life has trasformed in ways I could not have imagined. Here's my review broken down into different aspects that you may be interested in:

Curriculum: When I took the course the curriulum was based on ruby and built up to ruby on rails. We started from writing basic ruby, into object orientation, then sinatra, and eventually to RoR and javascript for client side interactions. The really nice part about the curriculum is that we start at a lower level to understand how some of the abstractions work. An example is when we built our own ORM which mirrored the pattern of Active Record. Another example is building our own log in system that used the same implementation as the Devise gem. Since there are a lot of abstractions in programming, its a nice way to introduce newbies like us to a large framework like RoR. Oh, and of course, we were always using git like a real developer for version control :)

Content delivery/organization: Obviously I haven't gone to any other bootcamps, so I don't know how they deliver their content, but at Flatiron School, we used a system called Learn that had our daily schedules each morning, our assignments and "readmes" that explained the concepts we were going to cover, and any announcements from our instructors. The tool has all of our labs organized by topic and you can also see who else is working on it so you can group up and code together. It also has a built in chat system so you can ask for help from instructors or other students! Outside fo the tool, we had lecture and lab reviews everyday up until project mode. Those were pretty helpful to ask as many questions as you needed until you understood the lab.

Community/student support and growth: One of the reasons why I chose the Flatiron School over other schools is because of the student support and community involvement. And I must say, they definitely delivered! For community involvement, Flatiron hosts a meetup every Tuesday where students present a project of their choosing. It's required to do this if you enroll, but it really expands your ability to talk about technical stuff in a concise way. At the meetup, current and aspiring developers show up so there's time to talk to them before or after the presentations. There are also a lot of guest speakers that come in and talk about their experiences as a developer, CTO, product manager, etc. Another awesome part about Flatiron School is that they provide tutoring and mentorship for students that need/want it. Unlike some of the other schools, Flatiron won't just kick you out because you don't understand something. They'll help you out and make sure you get the support you need. The only reason why a student might be kicked out is if they do something really stupid like steal monitors or punch another student in the face.

Job Assistance: I think this is one of the biggest questions for most applicants coming into the program. How long will it take for me to get a job? What's the most effective way? Who's gonna help me out? All these are legit questions. What I will tell you is that you're in great hands. During the semester, you build at least three projects to have in your portfolio (1 from the Flatiron Presents project, and 2 project mode projects) and they are all on topics that you want to focus on. There's also a dedicated Placements team that helps you in numerous ways ranging from resume reviews, mock interviews, or how to interact with potential employers. There's also a speed-interview session during the last week of the semester so you get to interact with people that are looking to hire developers. I could probably keep going on about the placements assistance, but you can see how great of a job they do by looking at their jobs report on their website.

In summary, Flatiron School is filled with people that truly care about your well-being and are interested in your success to switch your career from whatever you were doing to a developer. I highly recommend Flatiron School and hope that you have a great of an experience as I had.

• Amazing program
    - 6/16/2015

The best thing about FIS is the quality of teaching. This comes from both the instructors who are very helpful as well as your peers. They do a great job of selecting the students and forming well-balanced classes. I learned a ton from them.

Other great things are:

-Teaching you programming concepts that are transferrable to any language. We learned Ruby but you can take the methodologies they teach you and apply it to any programming language.

-The placements team is awesome. They do a great job prepping you for interviews and connecting you with lots of job opportunities.

I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is serious about becoming a web developer.

• Craig C. • Graduate

Hello! I wanted to take some time to review my experience with The Flatiron School. I completed the 8-week Part-time Front End Web Developement program here back in May of 2014. It was a pretty good experience being my first dive into web development.

It was a combination of video projects and in person once a week classes. The videos were somewhat long but they were broken down into seprate projects so it was pretty easy to follow. At times the videos weren't posted as far in advance as I would have liked. But being the first time they did something like this it was understandable.

The classes were spent either catching up on the videos or working on an in-person project. It was great to get some in person coding experience to work through problems with a partner.

We covered Git/Github HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, responsive design. I wish that we spent more time on the javascript/jQuery part and suggest that they extend the course a couple weeks to include more projects for that.

Pros: low cost ($750), good venue, knowledgeable instructor

Cons: No job placement assistance for part time students, felt like I needed a next step

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here