flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Colorado Springs, Denver, New York City, Online

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, cybersecurity, and product design (UX/UI design). Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers by providing a robust career services framework and dedicated one-on-one coaching post graduation that is included as an added value with the tuition.

The application process asks prospective students to share a bit about themselves and what is driving them to start a career. The process includes speaking with an Admissions representative in a non-technical interview to allow for the opportunity to get to know each other better in a friendly conversation. Applicants will also need to complete a 15-minute critical thinking and problem-solving assessment afterwards. Applicants will receive an acceptance decision from Admissions within 4 business days of completing the assessment.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to an extensive employer network to help students launch fulfilling careers in tech after graduation.

Flatiron School powers the Access Scholarship which invested $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all of Flatiron School’s campuses and online courses in 2020. The Access Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education. To build a more diverse and inclusive tech community, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry and a pioneer in providing 3rd party examined job placement reports. Read their full independently-examined jobs reports at: https://flatironschool.com/jobs-reports/

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.53

all (543) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (175) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Engineering

LocationColorado Springs, Denver, New York City, Online
    Our Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    DepositYes
    We’ve partnered with Ascent and Climb, two well-known financing companies, to give all eligible students the option to pay for courses with monthly payments for up to 36 months with Skills Fund, and 42 months with Climb.
    Tuition PlansLive: Upfront, Pay with a Loan Flex: Pay Upfront, Pay with a Loan, Pay installments For more visit https://flatironschool.com/tuition-financing/?utm_source=coursereport&utm_campaign=tuitioninfo&utm_medium=affiliate
    ScholarshipScholarships available for those who quality contact for more information https://flatironschool.com/scholarships/diversity-initiatives/?utm_source=coursereport&utm_medium=affilaite
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science

LocationDenver, New York City, Online
    The Data Science course provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required.
  • Product Design (UX/UI Design)

Design
    LocationDenver, New York City, Online
    Flatiron School’s Product Design course takes a modern approach to teaching digital design - one which is frequently validated by hiring managers and that will leave students fully prepared to pursue a variety of career paths, including UX Designer, UI Designer, Product Designer, or Full Stack Developer. Flatiron School’s Product Design course focuses on designing digital products, such as websites or mobile applications. Flatiron School course is crafted so anyone and everyone can be successful, regardless of skill level, artistic background, or coding knowledge. The course starts with ethical and inclusive design principles then progresses through UX and UI concepts, which includes instruction on cutting-edge tools like Figma. Students will end the course with a portfolio of project work intended to catch the eye of hiring managers. Flatiron School Product Design students rave about the structure, support, and camaraderie throughout the course.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous product design experience is required.
  • Software Engineering

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, Rails, React.js, Ruby, Sinatra, SQL, AngularJS, Algorithms, Git, GitHub, jQuery
    LocationDenver, New York City, Online
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. Students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required.
  • Dmitriy Malayev  User Photo
    Dmitriy Malayev • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hello, my name is Dmitriy Malayev. I was enrolled in the part-time software engineering course entirely online. I think joining and completing the curriculum was the best decision. My cohort lead and instructor Dakota Lee Martinez a has always been personable, intelligent, experienced, and supportive in every way imaginable. My cohort consisted of about 60 people from various states and were all interesting and respectful.
    After completing the cohort, my coach Karen Nixon and her team were exemplary with everything from tailoring my resume to reaching out to their network of employee partnerships and sharing their expertise and wisdom. Karen's fantastic team consisted of Ivo Radoslavov, Sara Romo, Michelle Pathe, Nikki Athan, Raegan Jones, Kate Williamson, Joy Stukel, Michael Connors, Katie Rosman, Valerie Jiggetts, and others.
  • Kellen May  User Photo
    Kellen May • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Well I can't say I didn't enjoy my time. It was what got my through COVID, and my dead end job in Chemistry. I will say you need to be ready to work hard for this. You will have great support networks within the school and through your instructor. The weirdest part was learning so quickly you didn't even know you were learning. Then you start building a project and are all the sudden grasping everything. I had a great time and don't regret a thing.

Career Coaching was awesome, but the money back guarantee is a weekly tracking of your progress you have to document manually. Luckily it wasn't even 2 months after I completed my final project (the first month after you work on resume and networking with the career coach as well as mock interviews) I received a job offer.

I however didn't land an SE job, I am an analyst, but will be working towards studying to become an engineer at my next role.

Advice for anyone considering this school (which I would recommend 100%) is to start studying algorithms early on since the school won't teach you, I don't think any bootcamps do though.

The curriculum is full stack and quite nicely balanced, but it did flip since I graduated. They taught back-end first for me, but not its front-end. I enjoyed the way it was for me because I liked the back-end logic more. It was more rigid in my eyes. More precise. React.js has been a lot of fun though. It is built to be a little more organized than vanilla js.

If you want a job in tech I think all you really need is to study algorithms honestly.
  • Christopher de la Cruz  User Photo
    Christopher de la Cruz • Data Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I wanna start this off by saying that I was originally very hesitant to enroll into Flatiron (not because of Flatiron itself but because of the reputations of a lot of other predatory bootcamps). It's also important to note that I enrolled in the data science program so I cannot speak towards it's other programs. Ultimately, I chose Flatiron because it has one of the best reputations of all the bootcamps out there and I am happy to say that all the positive things are 100% true

It is important to note that it is a challenging 15 weeks (I did full-time) and you get what you put into it. It's a lot of hard work but incredibly rewarding with fantastic instructors who go out of their way to help you succeed. They also put together a lot of great events (meditation, career help, etc) that you can optionally attend but that are also fantastic. When I graduated, I got a career coach (she was AMAZING) who helped me weekly until I landed a FANTASTIC data analyst job with great ppl, salary, and benefits (and in the middle of a pandemic to).

It genuinely changed my life and career trajectory in the BEST way and as long as you're willing to work hard, this is one of the best decisions you can make for yourself
  • Kevin Rodriguez  User Photo
    Kevin Rodriguez • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I want to start off by saying that Flatiron School is a fantastic coding boot camp. This school ensures that they deliver a quality experience and I am forever grateful that I have had the opportunity to attend Flatiron.

I would totally recommend Flatiron School to anyone who is looking for a career change in tech. This has been a life changing experience for me and for anyone who has been working these dead-end jobs on the market, take it from me, a career change in tech will change your life and attending Flatiron School can make that a reality. You will not regret your decision, and I am sure you would receive an excellent ROI.

Flatirom School has great instructors and an excellent curriculum. They provide you with various workshops and services that make the cost justifiable.

My only advice to those considering a coding boot camp is to make sure you don't just go into it without knowing how to code. This will make a world of difference for your experience and success. You want to have at least basic knowledge of the fundamentals in front-end and back-end technologies before attending a coding boot camp. The curriculum moves fast so it would be in your best interest to know how to code before hand. Trust me.
  • Cory B  User Photo
    Cory B • Typescript and C# developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Upon graduating I had intended to write an extremely in depth review. However, its been 3 years since Ive graduated and I dont remember all of the nitty gritty details.
    I can say, however, that I was one of the first in my cohort to get a job offer. I do not have a college degree, I was not the "brightest" one in my cohort, and my starting salary was on the lower end ($55k), but soft skills start to play a much more important role when it comes job-search time.
    Ive since moved on to another job in the suburbs making $80k using TypeScript, C#, and .NET... Im learning C++ and hardware programming in my own time which is fun.
    My life is in every way better after attending flatiron.

My advice:

All of the "behind the scenes stuff you learn in the beginning" which seems like you dont really need to know. You will be doing yourself a massive favor by taking that material very seriously when it comes to real-world dev (Sinatra, SQL, etc...).

Keep your projects small. Focus your project only what its intended for. If its a command line project, try to cram everything into the project that you've learned the past 3 or 4 weeks while keep the functionality/features small. Dont fool yourself. None of your projects are going to be used ever again after your first job. Dont try to think of an amazing idea for your projects. Simply use them to re-inforce what you've learned. (Except your last project, really go all-out with that one).

Lastly- I really loved flatiron. but I would now considering another school that does NOT focus on Ruby/Rails for three reasons:
    1) Focusing that extra attention on Javascript is going to take you way further
    2) Node backend is simply becoming more popular than Ruby. Ruby did not take off as initially expected
    3) There's less abstraction with a Node API. Ruby has a ton of abstraction (which you DO learn about, i.e. Sinatra), but using the bare bones code and never using those abstractions will help you a lot more.
  • Stephanie Segura  User Photo
    Stephanie Segura • Digital Software Engineer / Intermediate Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Coming from a background of dentistry, I knew absolutely nothing about coding. The Flatiron School equipped me with the tools and skills I needed to succeed in this field. Not only were the instructors and staff incredible, but the atmosphere was so wholesome and amazing! I've made incredible friends along the way, and I am forever grateful that I chose to enroll in this bootcamp!
  • Don't.
    - 5/12/2021
    Joe  User Photo
    Joe • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I write this sincerely as someone who put themselves in unnecessary debt with the hopes of turning my career around. Please, if you are someone who is looking to get into Cybersecurity, please explore your options when it comes to continuing education. Flatiron school is a scam. I am embarrassed to have partaken in the Cybersecurity cohort. Everyone, from the instructors to the career service personnel are well aware that this program does not provide for you what it says it does. I am now $17,000 in the hole because I believed in this program.

The biggest red flag was one of the instructors writing an article in regard to Bootcamps not preparing students for the workplace. Imagine your college professor writing an article saying "This is all horse**** and I know it!", then showing up to work everyday (I say everyday sparingly). There is no ROI here. I graduated in January and career services has "matched" me with companies that are looking for EXPERIENCED candidates. The promise of "Come in with no experience and leave ready for the workplace" is absolute trash and the administration knows it. We had one professor quit in the middle of the cohort. One professor not show for the first two weeks. One professor refuse to listen to our concerns and then would go on "vacation" every other week leaving us with a substitute instructor. So many red flags, but I tried to stay positive as I have immense pressure from everyone around me to succeed. This school and their practices has effectively destroyed my mental health and no amount of "Virtual Happy Hours" will fix that. I genuinely feel bad for anyone employed here. I could imagine they don't sleep too well at night. If they do, the sociopathy epidemic is worse than I imagined.

As you can tell I am fuming writing this review so I am trying to be as objective as possible. Stay away. This school puts all of their attention on Software Development and introduced Cybersecurity simply as another stream of revenue.

My parting words for Flatiron are simple: You know what you're doing. You know what it does to people. You're well aware of your price point. Reconstruct your business model. Save lives.
    Response From: Jaslyn Ferguson of Flatiron School
    Title: Flatiron School Community Manager
    Thursday, May 27 2021
    Hi Joe, thank you for sharing your feedback. At Flatiron School, we pride ourselves in equipping our students with the skills necessary to pursue careers in a variety of tech fields including cybersecurity. We’re sorry to hear that you feel this goal was not met during your experience.

As with most boot camp programs, we do our best to educate incoming students that everyone’s journey will look different. Some students come in with less experience than others and are still able to excel, although this is not always the case.

We agree. “Virtual Happy Hours” don’t cut it, which is why we are planning to offer in-person resources at select campuses, as soon as we can safely do so within CDC COVID-19 guidelines. It’s been a challenging year for many people, but we are happy to announce our plans to reopen campuses here: https://bit.ly/2Sjt8Y4.

While Software Engineering is our flagship program, we value all of our programs equally and have built them with the same goal in mind - to prepare students with the skills needed to pursue a career in that field. Our Career Services team works with each student months beyond graduation, meeting weekly to help with everything from résumé review to interview prep. We’ve built relationships with hiring managers at top companies across the world, constantly advocating for our grads and helping them get in the door. We are proud to say that Flatiron School grads have gone on to work at some of cybersecurity's most influential and innovative tech companies.

Student success is our top priority and we will investigate your situation further. If you feel you were not given these opportunities, please feel free to reach out to studentservices@flatironschool.com to continue the conversation.

Thank you again for your feedback!

• Sam M  User Photo
    Sam M • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I attended the part time online Software Engineering Bootcamp with Flatiron last year and had a great experience! Basically, we went through five main modules. Each module involved learning about languages/frameworks through reading written lessons, doing coding labs, having a couple of class meetings a week where our instructor reviewed the content, or showed us bonus content, and at the end, building an app with what we had learned. We also did pair programming every week with other students. The curriculum worked great for me, and I really appreciated the learning style of mostly reading about something and practicing doing it myself! Flatiron's online bootcamp also has feature where you could ask a question about a lesson and someone would come help if you needed it, which was great!
    My only quibble with the way the instruction was structured was because everyone was learning at their own pace, sometimes I would find the class meetings helpful and informative and sometimes I would find them difficult to parse, depending on where I was in the material. Where we should have been at by the time we attended a lecture to get the most out of it was wasn't made clear. This is a small critique though as most lectures were helpful and really, all of the information I needed was in the written lessons anyway.
    For the job search, Flatiron has a lot of excellent written advice on how to prepare for and approach this, and in addition to that, I met with a career coach every week, which was great for staying on track! I have rated this one star less mostly because I am Canadian--Flatiron's advice is still great no matter where you live, but their employee partnerships are exclusively in the US and the UK, so I wasn't able to benefit from any of the opportunities for finding work emailed my way, and wasn't able to take advantage of their money-back guarantee. If you're Canadian, I would consider looking into more local bootcamps. That said, even though it took almost a year of job searching to get an offer, I am absolutely thrilled with the company I'll be starting with in a couple of weeks, and I couldn't have done it without the wonderful people at Flatiron! Also, I cannot overstate the benefit for me of being able to do a course part time instead of full-time--this was one of the main reasons I picked Flatiron as a bootcamp over more local offerings, and the pace was excellent. Challenging without being gruelling, and I was able to work part time through the program as well.
  • Wendy Raven McNair  User Photo
    Wendy Raven McNair • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Flatiron is an intensive rigorous program that requires your preparation (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Ruby, GitHub) and dedication. The Software Engineering program consisted of 5 Modules in which you built a project at the end of each module. Instructors are incredibly knowledgeable. They support you but they also push you to learn how to go out and find the answers on your own.
  • Get to work!
    - 3/18/2021
    JUSTIN DAVIES  User Photo
    JUSTIN DAVIES • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    In my experience the curriculum was excellent. The labs and help chat were awesome! You can talk to your instructor about curriculum you aren’t undeterstanding annnd the hard working team in the help chat(I forgot their title). The projects were my favorite part of the curriculum. But, the community is what got me through. I went in with minimal knowledge of html and css. I graduated with 5 projects completed. My projects were impressive to me but there were projects that made my jaw drop. It’s amazing what we can create once we learn. I recommend FlatIron if you are serious about making a career change. When I say serious, you have to understand that the hardest part is getting a job after you graduate. It could take a really long time before you find your first job. BUT, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. I put in the work and I am a better man for it.
  • Dana Jackson  User Photo
    Dana Jackson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the 15 week intensive full time software engineering bootcamp at Flatiron. I was part of the Seattle cohort, but because of Covid-19 the program was conducted entirely online. I thought that would be a drawback but it ended up being great. With no commuting I had more time to dedicate to coding and I was able to fit in a few more to-do's each day, like going for a run or getting an errand done. This program is an amazing way to learn a new skill very quickly. The structure of the program is excellent, and allows for self motivated learning but also provides a lot of much needed direction. I came from the performing arts so I was afraid I would be a fish out of water, but I had no trouble jumping right into the new material. My instructors were truly top tier educators, and really cared about my success. I cant say enough positive things about my experience at Flatiron. I feel it gave me the boost I needed to change my life and launch into a new career with confidence and momentum.
  • Great community
    - 3/15/2021
    Chi Nguyen  User Photo
    Chi Nguyen • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Great experience here. Flatiron has great staff and great instructors who always motivate students and care about students' feelings. Especially, I highly appreciate Flatiron materials. Very clear and persistent.

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here