flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to employer partnerships to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.66

all (477) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (149) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states.
    Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $17,000, DC $15,000
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC $20,000, DC $18,000
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: NYC and SF: $17,000; Chicago, Houston, Seattle: $15,000;
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000 Part-Time Course: $15,000 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    Tuition PlansTuition varies across three course pacing options: Full-Time Course: $15,000; Part-Time Course: $15,000; Self-Paced Course: $9,600
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansTuition varies by campus location: Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, Washington, DC: $15,000 NYC and SF: $17,000
  • Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Instructor • Graduate Verified via GitHub

As a student at the Flairon School one of the most impressive aspects was the level of commitment of my classmates and other students.  Arriving early and staying late are common and everyone is super motivated to learn as much as possible each day. I think an environment like that is actually pretty unique and difficult to find or recreate.

After graduation I was asked to stay on at Flatiron as an Instructor.  That experience has literally changed my life. The students I have worked with are amazing and it really is a privilege to be play a part in their learning and see them go on to get jobs of their own.

Seeing the operations of the school from the other side I can attest that the levels of commitment from the students are matched by the Instructional staff.  Over my time here I have seen the curriculum improve significantly and the school is constantly updating the materials taught or structures of the courses to produce better outcomes for students. And it has paid off, the last few rounds of student final project demonstrations have been really impressive to see.

• Jim Campagno  User Photo
    Jim Campagno • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was an Accountant for 7 years before deciding to switch careers. I had ZERO programming experience but always dreamed of becoming an iOS developer. I was obsessed with apps and I wanted to build them for myself.

I had the choice of a few reputable coding bootcamps in NYC to choose from, I decided to go with Flatiron School. I was a part of the iOS-004 class which began in February-2015. It changed my life. It literally changed my life. From the new friends I met in this class (one who is now my roommate) to the knowledge I've gained in becoming an iOS developer, I am a different person. I'm happier! I wake up everyday putting to use what I learned here as a student in ever project I start.

I now work at Flatiron School as an iOS instructor. I do my best to deliver the experience I receievd as a student to any student that walks in these doors. The best thing this school offers is this ability to attract the most interesting, passionate, and smart individuals.

Each class delivers a unique footprint filled with determination, joy, and knowledge that every subsequent class looks to step into and then some. In whatever path you decide to go down, I wish you luck!

• Life-changing
    - 1/17/2017
    Natacha  User Photo
    Natacha • Cloud Operations Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I did the web development fellowship program in 2014.

The curriculum was excellent and prepared me very well to rejoin the workforce as software developer after not working for three years. I had about three distinct job offers upon graduation and worked at Dow Jones and Kickstarter since. Stongly recommend ! Best learning experience of my life.

• Avi Lichtschein  User Photo
    Avi Lichtschein Verified via GitHub

The Flatiron School Changed My Life

Deciding to attend The Flatiron School was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that forever changed my life.

From Day 1, I knew my class was in for something special. I’ve literally never seen such a deep level of caring, anywhere. Everything we did at Flatiron was carefully crafted to ensure we got the most out of the program, and that we learned in the most optimal way possible. There was meticulously curated pre-work to prepare us before the semester even began, thorough (and fun!) labs to help us practice our newly acquired skills, in-semester tutoring by alumni, and even post-work to hone our skills after we graduated. I was particularly blown away by the selfless alumni who carved out time from their busy weekends to tutor us.

My Classmates
    I’m also thrilled that I was able to meet 27 like-minded individuals. From the moment we first introduced ourselves, it was clear that everyone had a fascinating story; it didn’t take long for all of us to become friends. Our class was so diverse and had so many different personalities! Over the course of the semester, we laughed together, we cried together, we learned from each other, we supported each other. Lifelong friendships were forged, undoubtedly we’ll cross paths with each other at future jobs, and I’m sure we’ll one day be starting companies together.

Our Instructors
    I’d also like to thank you for providing us with the greatest instructors we could have asked for. Our teachers imparted us with a great deal of knowledge, answered all of our questions, and were always available to assist and guide us. They understood that each of us had different methods and speeds of learning, and catered to the unique needs of each individual student.

But they were more than just our teachers; they were our friends. We had lunch with them, hung out after class, and had discussions that ranged from questions from a lecture, to the most mundane of topics. In addition to programming, the non-programming lessons that we learned from them were just as valuable. Our teachers led by example and showed us that being a caring, empathetic person is just as important as knowing the nuances of ActiveRecord or how to iterate through Nested Data Structures. Our teachers empowered us to not only become better developers, but to become better people. Blake, Steven, and Ian- you guys rock.

The Overall Stellar Flatiron Staff
    I’d like to thank Avi and Adam for creating such a wonderful program, Rebecca and Jackie for tirelessly championing employers on our behalf, Elana and Carley for putting together all the wonderful meetups and events, and the rest of the incredible Flatiron staff for being awesome.

In Conclusion...
    Thanks to The Flatiron School, the trajectory of my life has been forever altered. I never thought that I’d be capable of doing this. I never dreamed that becoming a software developer was an option, since I was never a “math or science” kid. Besides falling in love with programming and the unparalleled education, this program changed the way I think, reinvented my life, and shaped my brain differently.

I’d like to conclude with something we were told at our graduation ceremony:

“Tell the story that you have a family here forever. You have people here that love you and are rooting for you.”

Well, Flatiron School, the feeling is mutual. I’m proud to call myself a Flatiron alum, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the future.

Thank you.

(adapted from my Medium post "Thank You Flatiron School!")

• TV  User Photo
    TV • Student Verified via GitHub

My time at Flatiron School was excellent, and I would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone considering applying. When I signed up for the web developer course, my only goal at the time was simply to learn Ruby. After 12 weeks, I got so much more than that. Two takeaways I want to share with you: 1. You can do so much more when you work with your team. Flatiron School provided a positive and supportive environment for students to collaborate on projects together. Think about it: no company wants to hire a lone wolf programmer. 2. Ship something today. The dean of Flatiron Avi said, "First, make it run. Then make it right. Then make it fast." As someone who suffers from paralysis-by-over-analysis, I have no regrets about burning this mantra into my brain's ROM.

• Ian Miller  User Photo
    Ian Miller • Back-end Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Hello! I am a graduate of the 2013 Fall Web Development immersive, and I also worked for a year and a half as an Instructor, so I am one of several that has experienced Flatiron School from both a student perspective and an instructor perspective.

Why Flatiron School?
    I applied to several programming boot-camps in the summer of 2013, and was accepted into several. However, the decision to go to Flatiron School was largely because of the philosophy of Flatiron School ("if you're driven and imaginative enough, then learning how to code is not ultimately the objective, but rather opening yourself up to a world of new possibilities through code"). Other bootcamps focus on using assessments to qualify whether or not you're good enough to succeed in their programs, whereas Flatiron seeks to surround forward-thinking and driven individuals with like-minded peers in a diverse environment. This was what set Flatiron School apart from its competitors for me.

Programming
    Yes, the objective of Flatiron School is to teach its students how to code, and how to code well. But that's not what makes Flatiron School succeed. It's the ability of the admissions team and its teachers to provide a rich, diverse community in which students push each other to succeed through collaboration and support. As a result of this, students learn programming by communicating with each other while working on projects, and ultimately creating a rich ecosystem of knowledge that iteratively builds upon itself, week after week throughout the semester.

New York Tech Community
    Flatiron School has benefitted a lot by simply being part of the New York tech community, and has given back to the community as well. That's the primary ethos of Flatiron School. Its defining quality is community, and it hosts meetups and events every week, such as NYC on Rails, iOS Devs Meetup, Manhattan.js, and Flatiron Presents (student presentations). The diversity of its graduates that go forth into the New York tech community is something that sets Flatiron School apart from its peers; at least 40% of accepted students are female.

In Closing...
    Flatiron School has been one of the best investments I have ever made. I say this not from a financial perspective, but rather from a career and motivational perspective. As the weeks progressed during my time at Flatiron School, my burgeoning skill-set started to show me what was possible. Coding is not a means to an end in itself, but rather it's the gateway that makes everything else attainable. Being able to build a software tool or product or whatever you may call it allows you come extremely close to having a profound effect on the things you care about. Making life more colorful and vibrant again. After all, isn't that the point of education? It is meant to bridge the gap between your dreams and reality. I didn't find that in high school or college, but rather I found that at Flatirn School.

• Nicholas Daniele  User Photo
    Nicholas Daniele • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from Flatiron's Full Stack Web Developer Bootcamp (online/remote program) about 3 weeks ago and I have already had interest from potential employers.

I strongly recommend the Flatiron program to anyone who is serious about learning to code. I am not a STEM person, I came from an arts and humanities background and I found the Flatiron curriculum to be fun (and often very challenging) but always instructive. The instructors were always available to answer my questions and point me in the right direction.

I am very happy with the career services support that I have been receiving since my graduation and I anticipate finding a great job as a developer very soon.

As I've been on my job search and spoken to working developers I’ve discovered that I know coding languages and tools that people who have been working as dev's for years don't know.

Flatiron made sure that I had all the skills I needed to be a full stack developer. I am so glad I enrolled in this program. It was a great investment!

I’ve been recommending it personally to my friends since I started the course.

If you’re thinking about making the switch to becoming a software developer I encourage you to take the first part of the Flatiron curriculum. You can start for free! And if you do take the course they guarantee you’ll find a job in 6 months or your money back. Can’t argue with that.

• Nadia   User Photo
    Nadia • software developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Very efficient way to teach people how to code by using hands-on approach and collaboration. Turns out, 3 month in enough to get skills to be able to solve complex tech problems at work. Mostly it comes from the fact that they not only teach specific tech topics, but how to solve problems in general.

Job placement is great, the students are expected to do their part (i.e. building projects and writing tech blog) and the school does a great job matching students with companies.

Considering tech salaries (even for entry-level programmers), the return of investement is great as you land on the first job quickly.

• Cernan  User Photo
    Cernan • Learn Instructor • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Flatiron's online full stack web development porogram was the curriculum I needed to transition from a career in financial services to a career in tech.

I did a number of online resources prior to discovering Flatiron and found the curriculum to be top notch and I was grateful for the way it was structured. It does a great job at building on top of previous lessons and is a great way to reinforce learning.

Another great thing about Flatiron's online program is the awesome community. Learning online can feel a little lonely but Flatiron set up the online community in such a way that while going through the program you don't feel alone.

I couldn't have asked for a better experience and was glad I chose to learn to become a developer through them!

• Robert K. • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I was a restaurant manager with little to no coding experience before finding the Flatiron resources online.
    Instructors, coaches, and campus staff are there to help you, but if you don't reach out to them don't expect them to come to you. There is a lot of work and most times it can be very stressful. The school gives you lots of rope to handle the work yourself, but if you can't manage your time effectively you might struggle.
    The career services department was helpful only after about 4 months of job searching furiously. I was a little disappointed to see there wasn't more support outside of the general job searching advice.
    Overall, I landed a job just inside of 6 months after graduating which was the goal, so I would call my experience a success. However, I know a lot of people from my cohort that are still searching with no end in sight.
  • Flatiron School
    - 1/12/2021
    Jasper Reed • Coach, Software Engineering • Graduate
    Flatiron School gave me the chance to learn in an environment that was very flexible to my learning style. Since the first day, I knew that I was in the right place, both my lead instructor and coach were so helpful, but didn't just throw the answer at me. They provided me with resources to find answers for myself and let me grow for myself. Now looking back on 2020, attending Flatiron is one of the few things I wouldn't change if I had the change.
  • Stephanie • Student
    I went through the immersive software engineering program at Flatiron from April -July 2020. We had a very unique experience as we were the first cohort to go through virtual immersive learning at the Houston campus due to Covid. Even though I was concerned with missing out on quality instruction, I have to say that I was wrong. We had top notch instructors every step of the way who were more than willing to help us in any way possible. I will say, for me, the instructors made all the difference. There is no way that I could have learned all this material on my own in such an efficient manner. Our instructors were always prepared, challenging, and extremely helpful. They had been in the industry for a long time and knew the material very well.

We had five “Mods" that built on the principles that we learned in the previous Mod. At the end of each Mod, we had a code challenge that we had to pass within two tries to make sure we could move onto the next Mod. The challenges were tough but with enough preparation and practice, very possible to pass on the first try. I would say it is helpful to make sure to do your labs, ask questions, and attend every lecture. You will definitely get out of this bootcamp what you put in. So, making learning a priority will be the biggest determinant if you will succeed in such a difficult program.

After bootcamp is over, you do have access to a career coach. My career coach has been wonderful and has pushed me to keep pursuing leads and opportunities. Even though covid is making the job search more difficult, I am certain the skills I have picked up during bootcamp will be a tremendous benefit for my career long term.

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here