flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to employer partnerships to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (484) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (151) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states.
    Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $18,900
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    Tuition PlansNYC, DC, Houston, Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco - $16,900
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansPart-time and Full-time - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $16,900 Part-Time Course: $16,900 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansAustin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Seattle, DC, NYC, San Francisco - $16,900
  • Ashlee  User Photo
    Ashlee • Student Verified via GitHub

I have been teaching myself to code for several months now. I've bounced around through several online resources (Coursera, Codecademy, Free Code Camp, etc.) and they all helped but some moved too quickly through the material or got pretty advanced while I was still lacking a strong foundation, I started to search for more of a full program option, that's when I started looking into attending a coding bootcamp.

I looked into all of the reputable bootcamps, the in-person and online options, and narrowed it down to about 5. I signed up for information from those 5 and received the recommended prep courses from each. I completed a full prep course from my top choice bootcamp but didn't feel entirely prepared so I decided to try the other prep courses before submitting any applications.

Out of the others, 2 of them weren't really worth my time, they were just practice problems and gave me no information about the teaching style of the school. So I was left with Flatiron's prep course on Learn.co and another fully online school's course. They were both very well done and I went through several lessons on each but Flatiron's Learn.co was really everything I wanted so I focused on completing it first.

The online prep was so thorough and really fun to move through. Each lesson built upon the previous and contained mini labs that helped solidify the concepts. At the end of each module there was a larger project to complete using all of the skills from the lessons, each lab helped build up to it but enough was definitely left open so I never felt like I was just filling in the blank. I really got to apply what I had learned and finally felt like I was building a solid foundation.

After finishing the Bootcamp Prep I not only felt totally ready to apply to the bootcamps but Flatiron had also become my top choice school. I submitted 3 applications, completed the assessments, and received invitations to interview with all! I chose Flatiron :)

• Suzy  User Photo
    Suzy • Student Verified via GitHub

I tried out Flatiron School's free Bootcamp Prep Course and was surprised at how comprehensive the course was along with its online community which gave me directions and guidelines with the courses in real-time .  Among other free online programming resources, Flatiron's online course was a level above the rest in teaching style and it gave me confidence in pursuing a career in programming full-time.
    Since, I've become a student in Flatiron School's Software Web Immersive Program and starting classes soon.

Bootcamp Prep Course gave me confidence to know if programming was right for me,  the teaching styles and online community gave me the drive to becoming a Flatiron School Student.

• Amazing experience
    - 7/25/2017
    Rachel  User Photo
    Rachel • Front End Web Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

The path that got me to FlatIron was not straight, nor flat. I had quit my job to attend a different (local) bootcamp that closed their local campus only a few weeks before my cohort was set to begin. I was in a hurry to find a good option, and knew I needed one that I could start within the next month, if not the next few days or weeks. There were only a few options that fit that criteria, and FlatIron was a standout among them because of timing, price, the job guarantee and reviews on CourseReport.

I could not be happier that I enrolled in FlatIron's Online Web Developer program. The curriculum is extremely well designed, thoughtful, and will allow a student who's tech savvy and smart to get to the meat of programming extremely quickly. For students who need a bit more guidance, the curriculum is well supported, broad based, and offers a bevvy of resources for further study. Learn experts and instructors are available to help, but you need to be comfortable asking -- but know that they're all excited to help you learn and are well equipped to do so.

The community of fellow learners is also extremely helpful -- I recommend taking advantage of study groups, standups and checkins, and if possible, make a few friends on slack and keep in touch with them throughout the course. Because it's self-paced, you'll likely diverge in where you are, but the social support is priceless.

Because the course is self-paced, it can be difficult to tell where you are. While I was enrolled, students working at a a full time schedule (40-60 hours a week) seemed to finish at a pace of around 16-18 weeks, with some eking in closer to the 12-14 mark. If you like milestones, keep track of what you're accomplishing and at what pace.

Career support is valuable, especially if you're not highly motivated on your own. Whatever your motivation level, don't be afraid to advocate for yourself! As with any coaching experience, telling your coach the type of support you want in advance will help them give it to you.

• Dakota Martinez  User Photo
    Dakota Martinez • Instructor • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had dabbled in coding before joining flatiron. I had worked on WordPress sites and had a bit of experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails using free online resources.

I remember how it felt to do web work before flatiron, and I'm really glad I decided to go through the online web developer program. I have so many more tools in my belt and I know what they do.  But, most importantly, I have learned how to approach problems that I don't have solutions for yet. I've gotten so much better at finding the right tool for a new problem.

The curriculum is scaffolded very well, gradually increasing in difficulty until you're able to build fully functional full stack web application with a high level understanding of how the pieces fit together.  Because of that understanding, when I see a problem I have an intuition about where the problem could be.

Flatiron gave me the confidence to dive into problems I haven't faced and build solutions for them.  And, because the curriculum is built around automated testing, I was able to look at lots of practical examples of how to write tests for functionality I wanted to build for my own applications. And because everything is on GitHub, we got a lot of practice using git.

All of that along with the amazing community support and dedication on the part of flatiron staff to constantly improving the experience for students, I highly recommend attending.

If you're worried about the online experience not providing enough support, I'd also like to point out that the platform has an ask a question feature built into the web application.  If you get stuck and need help, you can chat with one of the technical coaches and even do a screen share with them.  On that screen share, you can talk through the problem with them in real time as they look through your code and help you develop new debugging techniques to help you when you get stuck in the future.

Disclaimer: I am currently working as one of those technical coaches, so if you check out the free Bootcamp Prep track at Flatiron, you may end up hopping on a screen share with me! I've really enjoyed  working with Flatiron because I've really seen a lot of improvement since I first started the curriculum in November 2015.  It is a group of kind, hard-working individuals who are truly dedicated to creating the best possible experience for students.

The Job Search support afterwards has been amazing. My career coach has helped me tremendously in sourcing new opportunities, preparing  for interviews, building up my online presence, managing the search and staying emotionally sane during the process.  I knew that I wanted to be involved in education, and they helped me land a job as an instructor for Girls Who Code in Los Angeles.

• Jeffrey Hoch  User Photo
    Jeffrey Hoch • iOS Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

A fellow alum convinced me to give Flatiron a try because I'd recently been laid off when my previous company collapsed.  The first day I knew it was one of the best decisions of my life.  Fast-forward three months and I have a new job, am making 25k more a year than I was in my previous career, and genuinely enjoy the work that I do.  Go to some of their events, get a feel for their vibe, and if you're gut tells you to make the plunge then do it.  You won't regret it, and you'll work with some amazing people who push you to be the absolute best version of yourself.

• CJ Horton  User Photo
    CJ Horton • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended Flatiron's Online Web Developer Program via Learn.co from August 2016 to April 2017 while working full time. Fully employed as of May 2017.

I'm fully aware that I go into full fangirl mode whenever I talk about Flatiron. What can I say? I had an amazing experience that I can honestly call life-changing. I went from a hobbyist coder to an employable programmer in less than a year, met tons of friends from all over the U.S. and the rest of the world, and laid the foundations for a great career.

What made it so great?

1. The flexibility - Unlike an immersive program, if I was having trouble with a particular concept or technique, I was able to take some time to explore it further rather than just having to move on.
    2. The people - Learning to code isn't just learning to code. It's also learning to talk about code, how to explain your code to other people, and just generally the vocabulary of web development. I learned as much watching other people code in lectures or study groups and helping other students via Slack or screenshare as I did from the curriculum itself.
    3. The format and curriculum - After graduating, I had 5 projects, all of which had undergone a technical-interview-style code review from an instructor and meticulous refactoring. I had more than one potential employer comment that I had a surprisingly well-developed portfolio for someone of my experience level.

Don't get me wrong; it was a ton of work. I had an unrelated full-time job that I couldn't quit for financial reasons, so my life consisted of going to work and coming home to code for several months. My friends thought I had turned into a hermit. But it was absolutely worth it, and I'd recommend this program to anyone looking to get a head start on a career in web development.

• Joe Sasson  User Photo
    Joe Sasson • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had dabbled with code before I went throught Flatiron, I built a few projects and went through many tutorials. Going through the Flatiron program took all of my knowledge and made it marketable. It helped me grasp the fundamentals that I needed in order to learn and write code at a much faster and deeper pace.

If you are interested in making money from coding, Flatiron is the place to be. The environment is warm and welcoming and very conducive to learning. The instructors are amazing (shoutout to Ian, JJ, Tracy, and Antoine). Every day was a fun interesting learning experience and I highly recommend this program for anyone looking to get started with coding as a career.

• Robert  User Photo
    Robert • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended the Web Development Immersive program beginning in September 2016 and got a job in software engineering in February 2017! The on-campus program really helped me provide me with a platform to learn with the most helpful instructors and other students who shared the same passion to learn coding/programming.

I was previously in banking for 5 years and the Flatiron School really allowed me to make a career change in such a short amount of time. I got my job through the very helpful career services team at the school.

The curriculum is strong despite some programming languages being a little old in an ever changing world of different technologies. Ruby on Rails provides a solid foundation for Object Oriented programming and for basic web development structure and an idea of what frameworks are. However, the school is constantly revising and updating their curriculum to try to stay up to date. The most relevant language taught that I actually use at my job is JavaScript, which is ubiquitous in all of the internet.

All in all, the 12 weeks are rigorous but necessary to have you effectively learn everything to prepare you for the tech industry. If you are serious about pursuing a career in web development or software engineering, the Flatiron School provided an absolutely wonderful experience. It's extremely effective and has the results to prove it!

• Krissa   User Photo
    Krissa • Apprentice Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended Flatiron's 12-week Full Stack Web Development Immersive Program back in September 2016, got a job last month, April 2017.

On Curriculum

I liked how flatiron taught both Ruby and JavaScript. It's exactly what I wanted from a bootcamp. The lessons can be pretty challenging but they're doable. They ask you to build things from scratch like ORMs and later teach you that there are simpler ways to do this through abstraction or less code. The manner and organization helped me understand every line of code and why things are happening , rather than cool efficient methods immediately taught early on. The curriculum is meant to make you feel dumb for the first hour (or even the first 2 days haha!). But that's how everyone expects to feel knowing we're in an immersive program we hardly had any experience with. I love how the curriculum's structured and how it continually challenges the class. It worries us if we start finding things easy, cause it shouldn't.

On instructors

Our instructors are great. They articulate the process of code very well. Questions are highly appreciated no matter how "dumb" you think they are. They added one-on-ones for every student per week to check on you, how you are, if you've gotten the lessons right, quick assessments, not to kick you out but to explain previous concepts to you that are still unclear.

On culture

Flatiron wants you to overcommunicate. You will suffer if you don't speak up or fail to let your tablemates know you don't follow. People here are ready to help. At least your cohort. Nobody's competing with anyone either. They make that very clear from the very beginning.

So 'in-person web dev' wise, I'm happy. I love the culture, I love the intensity and as long as you keep absorbing like a sponge, you'll be fine.

On Placement

Flatiron's Career Placement team actively finds opportunities for you. Your career coaches help you package your story the best way possible to make sure you are ready for the non-technical aspects of your interviews.
  • Felicity  User Photo
    Felicity • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended Flatiron School's iOS Immersive program in the fall of 2016. I absolutely LOVED it! I learned so much from the course; the instructors were unbelievably helpful and approachable and the material was both challenging and instructive. The career team was very helpful in preparing me for interviews and in managing the process of finding a job. Strongly recommend this course!

• Kirsten  User Photo
    Kirsten • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This place, this thing, the Flatiron School gave me what I thought it should, an education in a full stack of programming languages so I can build stuff. But that doesn't even scratch the surface. Honestly. I knew I wanted to learn to code after having a little exposure to it. Sure, there is a stigma around it (love it or hate it) that tech is the future and its a necessary skillset that makes you an employable cog in a wheel if you can write code. But what about liking what you do? What about being creative? What if you could have a skill that you can tie into virtually any other industry? I learned at Flatiron how to take who I am and wrap it in code. I let it make me into the person I was meant to be professionally and that's driven, intuitive, and passionate. The difference between Flatiron and other educational options out there is the culture. They didn't just teach us, they incubated us. The teaching staff, the career coaches, and the guys who started the place (especially the guys who started the place) showed us how to love code and somehow gave us the exact right tools in the exact right order to help us help ourselves. So now I'm a powerhouse. No joke. I funded a startup and I'm also working writing code at a mogul in the financial industry. This is thanks to Avi, Adam, Joe, Mollie, Luke, Mendel, and my classmates.

I don't just have an education now. I have a career, a people, and my best self. Needless to say, I recommend it to anyone with even a drop of desire to improve themselves.

• Lloyd W. Sykes  User Photo
    Lloyd W. Sykes • Student Verified via GitHub

Allow me to start with the opportunities: it took me longer than I originally expected to secure a position and I didn't expect to move when I was originally applying for the program.

I graduated from Flatiron School's iOS Development Immersive on August 26th, 2016. Prior to Flatiron, I mainly held various retail roles (ranging from entry level to leadership) & a strong passion for creating music. My introduction to coding was through Flatiron School's assigned pre-work (which is free and available to anyone prior to enrolling, becomes required once accepted).

The curriculum is awesome & breaks down as best as possible the fundamentals of Software Development to beginners. The "Learn" platform is modern & reallly kept me focused as it was always the first thing I'd see when I boot up my computer; it's wonderfully structured & continues to improve. That along with the lectures proved to be effective. My class went through an interesting transition, where we started off learning Objective-C, then about halfway through we switched to Swift. Flatiron made this decision based on Swift's growing popularity in the current iOS market. This proved to be challenging because we were never formally taught some of the more advanced nuances of iOS. However, with the fundamentals I picked up at Flatiron, I was able to self teach the rest of the way especially during project mode. In the end, I was really happy we switched to Swift because most, if not all, of the jobs I applied for were looking for Swift developers.

The instructors are very helpful and give you different perspectives on how to debug your code. If you expect the instructors to come over and give you the solution to your problem, you will be disappointed. They are there to push you in the right direction, it's important that you work through these issues on your own. Programming is the hardest thing I've ever picked up, but it's also the most rewarding once things start clicking and you stick with it! The instructors give lectures, are available for questions regarding labs & conduct assessments to gauge how well the students are picking up the content.

Flatiron's career services team may very well be the best part. I only say this because I believe you can get a similar education at a DevBootcamp or GeneralAssembly (minus the innovative Learn platform), but their business team is unparalleled. The immediate week after graduation, a "campus draft" (I believe this is called something different now) is conducted where the Career Services team partners students with employers who have openings in either intern or junior roles. You can tell there's a real effort to match students with companies that are a culture fit, which saves everyone time. Two of my classmates were hired out of campus draft.

I accepted a position as an Associate iOS Engineer at URBN (parent company of Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie & Free People) & decided to relocate to Philadelphia from NYC. I was put in touch with this company through Flatiron back in October & after a long, rigerous interview process, accepted an offer a few weeks ago. On top of it all, I met an amazing group of friends at Flatiron. I now have an incredible network of classmates who work for companies such as Intel, BuzzFeed, LinkedIn & MapBox to name a few!

If you take the bootcamp seriously as well as their career advice, you will secure employment. In the end, it is a very self driven program. With that said, I wouldn't have even known where to drive & Flatiron gave me that direction. I'm forever grateful & would highly recommend Flatiron School!

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here