flatiron-school-logo

Flatiron School

Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Flatiron School

Flatiron School offers immersive on-campus and online programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity in NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, and Online. Flatiron School’s immersive courses aim to launch students into fulfilling careers as software engineers, and data scientists through rigorous, market-aligned curricula, and the support of seasoned instructors and personal career coaches. Through test-driven labs and portfolio projects, Flatiron School teaches students to think and build like software engineers and data scientists.

To apply, applicants must submit a written application about why they want to join Flatiron School, take part in an interview with an admissions advisor, learn some basic skills, and discuss it with an instructor. Flatiron is looking for people with passion and aptitude and aims to admit people with a variety of backgrounds. Flatiron School also offers several free introductory courses, including a How to Land a Job in Tech Career Prep Curriculum, Coding Bootcamp Prep, Data Science Bootcamp Prep, and Hacking 101 Cybersecurity Bootcamp Prep.

Flatiron School’s Career Services team provides weekly 1:1 career coaching sessions, mock interviews, and access to employer partnerships to help students launch lifelong careers in tech.

Flatiron School also powers the Access Scholarship investing $1.5 million into the futures of more than 500 students across all our campuses and online courses in 2020. The Scholarship opens doors for aspiring innovators who may have experienced barriers to education and lets students enroll for $0 upfront. To increase diversity in its programs, Flatiron School has awarded over $10 million in scholarships for women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups in tech.

Flatiron School was one of the first bootcamps in the industry to publish outcomes, backing its 93% employment rate for job-seeking on-campus and online graduates included in the 2019 Jobs Report including full-time salaried roles, full-time contract, internship, apprenticeship, and freelance roles, and part-time roles during the reporting period. Read their full independently-verified jobs reports at flatironschool.com/outcomes.

Recent Flatiron School Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (484) reviews for Flatiron School →

Recent Flatiron School News

Read all (151) articles about Flatiron School →
  • Cybersecurity Analytics Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Over 12 intense weeks on campus at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states.
    Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
  • Cybersecurity Engineering Immersive

LocationNew York City, Washington
    Our 15-week Cybersecurity Engineering program will teach you real skills using real tools, including our custom-built ‘Cyber Range’ lab environment. Thanks to our proven, employer-oriented curriculum, you’ll graduate prepared for a range of vital tier 1+ cybersecurity roles — like security engineer or penetration tester — in months, instead of years.
    Tuition PlansNYC and DC - $18,900
    ScholarshipContact admissions@flatironschool.com to learn about current opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome knowledge of programming languages, as well as a familiarity with Windows, Linux and Unix operating systems, will help with this program
  • Data Science Immersive

Data Science, Git, R, JavaScript, jQuery, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    LocationSan Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    The Data Science Immersive provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. The program will teach students to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. At Flatiron School, students learn by building. Students will come away with an advanced Portfolio Project to demonstrate their technical proficiency and creativity to current or future job managers and hiring leads. Our course dedicates three weeks towards completion of a large-scale data science and machine learning project where students work in groups of two. The project provides an in-depth opportunity for students to demonstrate their learning accomplishments and get a feel for what working a large-scale data science project is really like.
    Tuition PlansNYC, DC, Houston, Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco - $16,900
    ScholarshipVisit flatironschool.com/scholarships to learn about current scholarship opportunities.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Data Science Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Online Cybersecurity Analytics

In as little as 16 weeks at Flatiron School, our Cybersecurity Analytics curriculum will prepare you to handle rapidly-advancing threats. You’ll set traps and catch threat actors with our real-world lab environments paired with the industry-grade curriculum. You’ll learn the analytical skills needed to stand out from the competition. Our Cybersecurity Analytics program includes 8 foundational courses designed to prepare you for success in the cybersecurity industry.
    DepositYes
    Financing options available in select states. Lending partners available, including SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansPart-time and Full-time - $16,900
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous cybersecurity analytics experience is required.
    Prep WorkOptional
  • Online Data Science Immersive

With more than 650% job growth since 2012, data science has catapulted to be among tech’s fastest-growing and most sought-after fields. This program will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and experience to get a job as a data scientist – which requires a mix of software engineering, statistical understanding, and the ability to apply both skills in new and challenging domains. Students will learn how to gather data, apply statistical analysis to answer questions with that data, and make their insights and information as actionable as possible. Our pedagogy ensures not only job readiness for today’s market, but the aptitude and skills to keep learning and stay relevant. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansFull-Time Course: $16,900 Part-Time Course: $16,900 Self-Paced Course: $9,600
  • Online Software Engineering Immersive

Flatiron School’s proven Full Stack Web Development Curriculum is at the heart of our instructor-led Online Software Engineering Immersive. This rigorous course of study prepares you for a career in web development through 800 hours of challenging but rewarding coursework, providing you with the skills and experience necessary to obtain and excel in an entry-level software development job. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed this curriculum to teach you to think—and build—like a software engineer, independent of any specific language. By the completion of Online Software Engineering Immersive, you’ll have done much more than build your technical skills: you’ll have maintained a technical blog to show you can credibly talk tech; you’ll have become a part of your local developer community; you’ll have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications that show employers your programming abilities in action. With Full-Time, Part-Time, and Self-Paced course options, the Online Software Engineering Immersive is designed to give you the perfect balance of flexibility and structure to ensure your success. The course is available in full-time, part-time, and self-paced formats.
    DepositYes
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience is required, but we encourage all applicants to start learning through Flatiron School’s free Coding Bootcamp Prep course.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSan Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Houston, Washington
    Being a software engineer requires more than knowing how to code or build a web app. Over 15 challenging weeks on Flatiron School’s campus, students learn to think, and build, like software engineers — from developing coding proficiency to gaining an understanding of how products are designed and managed. In each three-week curriculum module, students develop key skills through interactive labs, lectures, and close collaboration, showcasing progress through Portfolio Projects. While the bulk of the material covered encompasses the Ruby and JavaScript ecosystems, we carefully designed our curriculum to prepare students to launch software engineering careers, independent of any specific language or technology. By the completion of the program, students have done much more than simply build technical skills: they have maintained technical blogs to show they can credibly talk tech; they have become a part of the tech community; they have amassed an impressive portfolio of unique, functional web applications to show employers as they enter the job-search phase with the support of our Career Services team.
    DepositYes
    Tuition PlansAustin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Seattle, DC, NYC, San Francisco - $16,900
  • Will Ley  User Photo
    Will Ley • Student Verified via GitHub

I cannot stress enough how wonderful the Online Bootcamp Prep is. I was a full time high school teacher while I was taking the course and I found the pacing and scope of the lessons to be perfect. I could sit down and work on one or two lessons in the brief time I had and could complete them. These constant steps gave the course a sense of natural progression and gave me a sense of accomplishment every time I sat down to work. That’s not to say I didn’t encounter tough concepts or pieces that I had to take time to puzzle out, it simply means that I felt as though I was always moving forward in my learning.

The online support is perhaps the best I’ve encountered. When I’d hit something I just couldn’t sort out, the folks at Flatiron where there. Most of my questions where responded to by someone working with Flatiron within a couple of minutes and I often had others participating in the program reach out too. At peak time (2:30 pm EST) I had to wait about 3-4 minutes between responses and even then the person who was helping me was patient, wasn’t rushing me off, and let me work through and explain both my challenge and ‘talk out’ the guided solution so that I felt I fully understood the problem. As a learner, that is invaluable to me and I feel one of the greatest strengths of the program.

I would highly recommend this program for someone who is exploring coding as a career change, or someone who is curious about Flatiron and how they work differently than other coding bootcamp programs.

• Munir Kizilcali  User Photo
    Munir Kizilcali • Student Verified via GitHub

I was in a search of an online learning material for javascript. I was ready to pay for a couple of hundreds. I made my research on the internet and started the bootcamp prep courses of Flatiron School. It changed my mind totally. It was the best online material that I have seen to learn coding. Their platform is well designed and the density of the courses are very satifying. Online Community and instructors were more than helpful with remote desktop and live chat. After I finished 50 free chapters on javascript, I totally decided to go for a full bootcamp. The quality of the courses insured me that their bootcamp will be a challinging one which will qualify me for the career change that I was waiting for. Now I am registered to their software engineering immersive (in class) bootcamp starting in april. Wish me luck.

• Pam  User Photo
    Pam • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took the Fullstack Web Development online course and it was an absolutely amazing experience. The Flatiron School is completely devoted to its students and wants them all to succeed. They are passionate about web devlopment which makes it easy for the students to be passionate as well. They create an open community to ease students' struggles, as the coursework can be very challenging (in a good way - key to learning). The Slack channels and Learn chat are great ways to connect with other students. And the on-demand Ask A Question feature allows students to gain clarity on labs and concepts and establish fundamentals for the future. No student should ever feel alone in the process.

Although I had a background in engineering and some minor coding, commiting to the course was a career change. The coursework is hard but almost addicting. I was working full time while taking the course and I would look forward to getting home from work just so I could keep going with the lessons and labs. The coursework is also totally useful outside of school. I have had to apply my acquired skills in almost every interview since graduation.

In addition, the career services are unreal. I would have never gotten through the job search without my career coach. My coach was definitely a professional whose advice I completely trusted. She was extremely reliable and patient. Ultimately, it was the work with my career coach and a recruitment fair held on the Flatiron campus that lead to me getting hired.

• Ricardo Colon Medina  User Photo
    Ricardo Colon Medina • Project Manager/Freelance Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'm a relatively recent graduate from Flatiron's Web Developer Program and I have pretty much nothing but good things to say about it.

The school and program came highly recommended from a few friends-of-friends, so I decided to give it a shot.

A huge, huge factor in me actually pulling the trigger (besides the recommendations) was their free introductory bootcamp, which, if memory serves, took me through the basics of web development and introduced me to Ruby (I can't remember if Javascript was also included) which is a wonderful language to start learning any programming, let alone web development. Anyhow, the introductory bootcamp gave me a great feel for Flatiron, Learn.co (their online learning platform), and web development in general—to the point that I had quite lilterally no compunction in applying for the full course.

The admissions process was great as well, because you really got a feel that they care about who they let into the program, which indicates, to me, that the school is at least as concerned with outcomes as they are with making money (though I'd honestly say that they're more concerned with outcomes than with their bottom line).

The curriculum itself is good. I wouldn't say that it's 100% fault-proof or will magically make you grasp every single concept that would fall under the umbrella of web development right off the bat, but you should understand that you're also getting a really good support team who is available to answer any questions about the curriculum; a sense of community with other students, some of whom can also answer your questions and help you reason about certain concepts; live online lectures and workshops led by knowledgable instructors (most of whom are past  Flatiron graduates); and a solid career services track when you graduate.

The bottom line is that Flatiron cares about you as a student, and if you put in as much effort as they do, you'll graduate knowing everything you need to know to carve out a career for yourself.

I also have a tangential comment about Flatiron's model for online teaching: I truly believe that its an awesome window into the future of remote education and am pretty interested to see how it develops and influences other programs.

• John  User Photo
    John • Applicant Verified via LinkedIn

I haven't yet attended the Flatiron School but I have been to their study groups and I've been taking their prerequisite course and I am very impressed. They offer you so many great resources before you even go to the school! I feel like the prerequisite course is slow enough that I don't feel overwhelmed but also challenging enough that I sometimes have to dive a little deeper into topics on my own to really get it. The good part is that they usually provide the reading in those sections. Anytime I have a big enough problem, I ask a question, and there is always someone there to answer promptly. Sometimes even going to the extent of sharing screens to figure it out.

Every interaction I have had with the school so far has been very professional and also very warm and friendly. This school is my first choice, and if I get accepted I will be sure to write another review about that experience.

• Justin Manalad  User Photo
    Justin Manalad • Data Engineer/Devops • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    The most valuable piece of Flatiron to me was the career services. It is through the job fair that I got my first development position. The instruction is also top notch, with people who are passionate about coding and technology. The only reason I docked the curriculum is that the learn platform can have some issues. Otherwise, the structure and pace of the curriculum itself is wonderful.
  • Sergio Mendoza  User Photo
    Sergio Mendoza • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I owe everything to Flatiron School for my new career. I was previously a bartender by trade, with some college experience but no formal degree. Flatiron School's Learn.co online program was the most flexible and cost-effective option for me as I was working full-time and couldn't afford to quit my job at the time. Their method of setting you up with the actual tools you'll use on the job (VS Code/Atom IDE, Git, GitHub, TDD) and extremely thorough curriculum consisting of Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, JavaScript, React/Redux, SQL etc. was instrumental in bringing me up to speed with current technologies most companies are learning. Their Slack and online study group community was a great way to make you feel like you weren't alone and had access to help whenever you needed it. Huge shout out to Martha on the Career Services team who was with me every step of the job search. I got an offer for a Software Engineering position 4 months after graduation and couldn't be happier. I highly recommend this program.
  • Yamini  User Photo
    Yamini • Solutions Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended Flatiron School's Software Engineering Immersive Program from July to October 2017 and recently began a job as a Solutions Engineer for a late stage startup.

Flatiron's immersive program and post-grad job assistance via the business development and career coaching team definitely exceeded my expectations. The course materials, instructors, student engagement and job search prep were all fantastic. The instructors were always intelligent, dedicated, and helpful. While there was sometimes more material that we could handle (which was ultimately great since we could go back and review with new material) and the projects at the end of each module could have had more time allocated to them, the speed of the course and amount of material was to be expected. More than anything, Flatiron taught me how to think like a programmer and understand the workflow associated with working on a web application. This includes, but is not limited to, how we come up with a project idea (both independently and with group mates), how we research and implement specific tools relevant to our projects, and how we debug and error handle. This process is CRUCIAL when approaching the final project we completed during our time at Flatiron and extends far beyond it.

The way the course itself is structured is key. Technologies and frameworks build on top of each other and supplement different aspects of the process of creating a web app. By the time one three week module was done and the first week of the next module began, we were able to start piecing together how each language or technology or framework fit into making an app. Once I graduated Flatiron and was job hunting, I was easily able to pick up new languages and frameworks that were necessary in different technical interviews and personal projects. The excitement and process by which to go about learning something new was definitely taught to me by Flatiron.

With regard to job hunting, I was able to access all of the various course material that Flatiron offers. Most important was the Computer Science lessons. A lot of technical interviews require common CS knowledge (recursion, BSTs, algorithms) - this was something that was not really focused on during the immersive course and something that there was not much material for post-grad but luckily I had access to Interviewcake. Aside from this, my Flatiron career coach and the entire business development were super amazing throughout the three months that I was job hunting. I would receive, on average, 4-5 leads from business development per month. They also have career fairs 3-4x a year which allows for rapid fire interviewing with NYC based companies. In any case, the job I am currently working at was directed to me from a Flatiron business development person. Throughout the 1.5 month interviewing process for this company, the team member on business development and my career coach were excellent resources to bounce ideas off of, help me prep for cultural interviews, and give me any updates or feedback.

Overall, I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in working in tech as a developer, engineer, product manager, etc. It definitely helped me redefine my career trajectory but more so, taught me how to continually learn about technology. It is a challenging course and not everyone fare wells during it but if you’re determined and know how to improve, this is definitely a life changing program.

• Ben Greenberg  User Photo
    Ben Greenberg • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Flatiron's Online Web Developer program was a fantastic way for me to learn how to code. It taught me not only the fundamentals of Ruby, Javascript, SQL, React, Rails, OO and more but also taught me how to continue to learn new languages and new frameworks. The instructors were accessible and the online community of students and graduates on Slack is incredibly supportive and welcoming. I graduated in September and within 3 months landed a full stack developer role at a financial services company in New York. An additional element is the post-graduation career support. My coach was with me every step of the way and I felt that Flatiron was very much committed to my personal success.

• Anthony Fields  User Photo
    Anthony Fields • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm a student about to start at Flatiron. I went through the Boot Camp Prep course leading up to my application. Compared to other online guided learning tools to get started coding (and learn if you truly enjoy it), this is far and away the best I've used. In terms of quality and density of content, frictionless presentation, authenticity to real-world workflow (through the use of a real IDE and git), and help when you need it (you can ask questions and help others at every step using a chat that has code snippet pasting, and there are friendly, knowledgeable Technical Coaches watching the chats as well.

If you're interested in Flatiron this is a great way to begin learning about the school. They've iterated on their online learning platform for a long time with great results and recently built the entire IDE into the browser. That alone is worth checking out.

The Prep Course is definitely worth investing the time.

• Anybody can learn
    - 1/19/2018
    Jason Lim  User Photo
    Jason Lim • Applicant Verified via GitHub

I started the bootcamp prep course with no previous knowledge of coding but the course easily lends itself even to complete beginners. You will be surprised how much you can learn and the change in perspective. If you get stuck it's great that you can always ask the community and instructors for some guidance. The course is worth a try even if you have a small interest and want to be moved to the next step.

• Denise  User Photo
    Denise • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I recently completed the Online Web Development program. Although I had experience in programming prior to the program I did not have as much front-end experience and had 0 experience in Javascript, React, and Ruby. I began the program while working full-time but about 1.5 months in I was able to quit my full time job to commit to completing the program. If you are self-motivated and really want to do this program I think that it is a fantastic way to get experience coding each day. If you have experience coding then some of the program will be simple and be a review for you, BUT since it is self-paced you can fly through some lessons. It never hurts to nail down the basics.
    Prior to this program I had many many BAD interviewing experiences because I was not prepared for interviews. However, about 75% through completion I took an interview for a Full Stack Program and got the job! I felt very prepared for the technical interviews because of the curriculum and hard work I had put in.
    The online program will take hard work and lots of commitment but it is worth it!

Flatiron School Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Flatiron School, 99% graduated. 84% of graduates were job-seeking and 91% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $74,447. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 205 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Flatiron School is one of the first bootcamps to produce an independently audited jobs report actually verifying we achieved the results we do. We have independently examined reports for both the Online and NYC programs.
You can download the reports here