Haven’t had time to keep up with all the coding bootcamp news this March? Not to worry– we’ve compiled it for you in a handy blog post and podcast. This month, we read a lot about CIRR and student outcomes reporting, we heard from reporters and coding bootcamp students about getting hired after coding bootcamp, a number of schools announced exciting diversity initiatives, and we added a handful of new schools to the Course Report school directory! Read below or listen to our latest Coding Bootcamp News Roundup Podcast.
CIRR + Student Outcomes
- CIRR (Council on Integrity in Results Reporting) has officially launched and there has a been a lot of press about it from Tech Crunch, Wall St Journal, Chicago Tribune and more.
- It’s a coalition of schools that have announced their commitment to publish student graduation and job placement data in a single, standardized framework.
Related: CIRR: Job Placement Data for Bootcamps
Getting Hired in a Changing Workforce
- CIO Dive writes about the changing tech workforce, the need for coders outside of tech hubs, and how, thanks to coding bootcamps, technology worker stereotypes may soon become less accurate.
- A USA Today article digs into the fact that Trump is focusing on creating new jobs, by bringing back coal etc, despite the thousands of unfilled jobs in the tech sector. The article says there are 500,000 open computing jobs nationwide, with only 43,000 CS majors graduating per year.
- In February we talked about this Wired article about coding being the new “blue collar” job and how folks in towns hit by deindustrialization can potentially be retrained. In March the Sydney Morning Herald did a follow up saying that the same principle applies in Australia - loss of manufacturing/mining jobs means people out of work could be trained to be coders.
- HackerRank found that alternatives to 4-year computer science degrees like bootcamps are starting to be seen as viable sources of talent by employers.
- A Tech Republic reporter claims that there is only shaky evidence that MOOCs (massive open online courses) and coding bootcamps help graduates into a programming career.
- Doug Belkin of the Wall Street Journal covered a handful of bootcamps that are building tuition back guarantees into their business models, mainly mentioning online bootcamps.
- A General Assembly grad outlines six ways make sure you are successful after bootcamp including planning, practice, self-confidence, and networking. (via dev.to)
Student + Alumni Experiences
- A Galvanize San Francisco graduate wrote a guest post for Tech.co about her background in biology research, the intensity of the bootcamp, and her job search. She now she works at Redfin.
- DC Inno talked to six coding bootcamp grads in the Washington DC area to hear about their experiences and outcomes, including five General Assembly grads, and a graduate of The Iron Yard, who had jobs at the Department of Commerce, The Washington Post, IT Concepts, Calibre Systems, and Skyline Technology Systems.
- Inc Magazine highlighted co-founder and CTO of Baron Fig, Adam Kornfield about how he learned to code at TurnToTech so he could talk the talk with his engineers.
- KQED News profiled a student at relatively new coding school Learners Guild in Oakland, CA. Vashti talks about how the payment plan and stipend at Learner’s Guild meant she could actually afford to learn to code.
Related: Alumni Spotlight: Laurel of Hackbright Academy
Related: Alumni Spotlight: Adam Kornfield of TurnToTech
Bootcamp Staff/Founder Profiles
How Bootcamps Impact Diversity in Tech
Bootcamps in their Communities
Related: Scholarships We Love: #Yeswecode Fund
Universities & Bootcamp Partnerships
Related: Alumni Spotlight: Sarah Abbett of Software Guild
Bootcamp Growth + Downsizing
New Bootcamps in March:
Accelerate, Hong Kong
Lambda School, online
Mindteck Academy, online
Coding School at ThoughtSTEM, San Diego
University of Kansas Coding Bootcamp, Overland Park
University of Utah Professional Education Coding Boot Camp, Sandy
Hunter Business School, Long Island
Q College, Victoria, BC
GTT Academy, various cities across the U.S., Canada, Europe, South Africa, and India
Our Favorite Articles on The Course Report Blog