hunter-business-school-logo

Hunter Business School

Long Island

Hunter Business School

Hunter Business School offers a full-time, 30-week web application design and development course in Long Island, NY. With campuses in Levittown and Medford, the course transforms beginning computer coding students into entry-level full-stack web developers. The course covers both front-end and back-end web development topics, starting with client-side programming languages such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, then gradually advancing to object-oriented programming, Enterprise Java, and database design. The curriculum culminates with coding assignments using today’s most popular web development technologies, such as Python and PHP, encompassing e-commerce, content management, service-oriented architecture, and security. Students participate in a series of hands-on projects solving common challenges of today's IT industry. Once students successfully complete courses, they move on to an 180-hour externship in order to graduate.

Recent Hunter Business School Reviews: Rating 2.67

all (3) reviews for Hunter Business School →

Recent Hunter Business School News

• Web Application Design and Development

HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Python
    LocationLong Island
    Students start with client-side programming languages such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, then gradually advancing to object-oriented programming, Enterprise Java, and database design. The Web Application Design and Development program curriculum culminates with coding assignments using today’s most popular web development technologies, such as Python and PHP, encompassing e-commerce, content management, service-oriented architecture, and security.
  • Terrible
    - 2/6/2021
    Matt • Graduate
    Please understand that you will be paying $3000 to be placed as a medical receptionist earning near minimum wage. This same job can be had with no training. The teaching is non existent. The class I was in taught ourselves, and to top it all off, everyone passes. Even if you dont finish the course. Our class was do bad they had to offer everyone an additional 20 hours after we received our “diplomas” because nobody knew what was going on. This is a money grab taking advantage of people who are suffering from the economic effects of covid.
    There are a few good teachers in this school and if you truly want to be a web developer and have proven to yourself that this is for you then this program might be a good fit. With that being said here are the negatives. The “counselors” will sell you into enrolling with promises of high employment prospects and unlimited career support. This is the first big lie. I did this program in 2018, 7 months 900 hours. The program director and head teacher actually said once that many people who graduate with high grades will have the poorest outcome. I can not stress enough, the grades means nothing if this is not for you. Before you sign for the $15,000 student loan make sure you take at least one web development course online. If you don’t love it, and I mean if you are not absolutely passionate about it and remember the codes and enjoy every bit of it. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT enroll in Hunter! Also prepare for alot of bullshit in this school. The so called career advisors I mentioned before are not all they are cracked up to be. In the 7 months i was there we saw the head career advisor get fired and another two ended up quitting. There appears to be tons of drama with the staff of the school that typically spills over into the student body. To say they don’t give the air of professionalism would be an understatement. To be fair, the next bit I am going to share is common place for almost any school or career field. If you did not really learn the subject matter to the point where you can be hired and hit the ground running immediately, you will be disregarded and forgotten before you even get your diploma. The career advisors will not save you. The program ends with an externship. Choose your externship wisely. I wrongfully assumed my high grades warranted an advanced externship. For a month I was stuck in an externship that focused on advanced software development. I asked to be moved to a normal web developer externship but they refused to do it. After graduating I did not get a career in web development. I called my career advisor constantly and after a few months he stopped picking up my calls. He set me up with a few lackluster interviews that ended with one job. I landed one job with a power tool company, the boss was awful and extremely demanding for a measly pay. They wanted someone to create e-mail graphics with a program we didn’t even use in Hunter. I ended up getting fired after three days because I could not do what was being asked of me, even though I graduated with a 4.0 and honors. The truth is I do not like web development and I wish I never enrolled. Thankfully I ended up getting a job in a completely unrelated field two years later.    I never heard back from them, but I will still be on the hook for this miserable student loan for years to come. I don’t remember how to do 90% of the things we were taught. Of course I take some blame for this, but the modules are very short. Some modules such as python and HTML should be much longer than what we had. I feel like every subject was rushed and once you start getting the hang of anything they switch to another coding language that is totally different. Trust me when I say this is a glorified bootcamp. You can most likely find an online program that is less than half the price and get the same if not better results. Be very careful about enrolling here, be absolutely sure it is for you and don’t let the counselors fool you.
  • Anonymous • Front-End Developer • Graduate

I attended the Hunter Business School Web Application Design and Development program in October of 2017 until June 2018. It was a 900 hour program that convered a wide variety of web development fundamentals. The best part was with a slightly longer program than some "bootcamp-style" schools, we were able to do a ton of hands-on-projects. The front-end part really showed how HTML, CSS, JavaScript (w/ JQuery) can really bring a site together from the planning phase until it goes live. On the back-end / programming side, we learned all the basics of computer science and a wide variety of languages and conventions to get our feet wet. There is a 180 externship attached to this program which is where we really saw how to focus our skills on REAL projects for REAL companies. There is job search support also (which I felt could be just a BIT more aggresive in getting my resume out there), but mostly it's what YOU do with the education knowledge they provide which made me successful. I'm now working full time as a front-end developer with some programming of custom CMS plug ins for a local long island company. I've networked with people who went to bootcamps and from what they say, that would have been much too fast paced for me. So I'm glad there was a local option that was a bit more stretched out, while still not a college.