Learners Guild is a 10 month, full-time full-stack web development learning collective in Oakland, CA. Learners Guild is a creative learning environment that uses the principles of cognitive apprenticeship to design a system for effective software development skills training. Nearly all learning takes place in team projects, much in the way that actual software applications are built. Therefore, there are no teachers telling students what to study. Instead of many students learning only from one person, every learner is learning from others and, in turn, passing on their skills and knowledge.
At Learners Guild, a new cohort joins every 10 weeks so there is always a dynamic range of skills and experience in the room that students should use to their advantage. The learning system helps students to choose projects and goals that are both relevant and challenging, so that students are working on interesting problems that push them into "Proximal Zone of Development".
Recent Learners Guild News
- Episode 11: February 2017 Coding Bootcamp News Roundup Podcast
- September 2016 Coding Bootcamp News Roundup + Podcast
Recent Learners Guild Reviews: Rating 5.0
Learners Guild Reviews
1 review sorted by:
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Currently enrolled, Week 27 / 40 at Learners Guild.
This place is a radical, fresh alternative to the extreme cram-in-12-weeks model--much more sustainable pace. At a certain point in the program, you end up working on larger teams, building commercial-scale sites (think Trello.com), and it feels like working at an internship. Collaborating with others on these large-scale projects mirrors the scrum workflow of professional software teams.
There's a lot of intentionality around fostering the culture here. The Guild offers a lot of supports that allow groups underrepresented in tech an opportunity to learn this craft in a safer, inclusive, loving environment. Learning, failing, and exposing your ignorance are all very vulnerable acts, so it's helpful to have a culture that helps people feel held and supported through this process.
Plus, the folk you'll be co-learning with are a pretty brilliant, fun, soulful bunch.
You should probably apply.
Our latest on Learners Guild
Here’s what we found ourselves reading and discussing in the Course Report office in February 2017! We found out the three most in-demand programming languages, we read about how coding could be the new blue collar job, and looked at how new schools are tweaking the bootcamp model to fit their communities. Plus, we hear about a cool app for NBA fans built by coding bootcamp graduates! Read below or listen to our latest Coding Bootcamp News Roundup Podcast.Continue Reading →
Welcome to the September 2016 Course Report monthly coding bootcamp news roundup! Each month, we look at all the happenings from the coding bootcamp world from new bootcamps to big fundraising announcements, to interesting trends. Of course, we cover our 2016 Outcomes and Demographics Report (we spent a ton of time on this one and hope everyone gets a chance to read it)! Other trends include growth of the industry, increasing diversity in tech through bootcamps, plus news about successful bootcamp alumni, and new schools and campuses. Read below or listen to our latest Coding Bootcamp News Roundup Podcast!Continue Reading →